Saving Money on Grilling

Use a broiler pan to grill small items on your barbecue grill. We picked up a spare at the thrift store for this purpose.

By Monica from Cortez, CO

7 More Solutions

It's grilling season! Here is some advice from the ThriftyFun community. Do you have any tips for saving money on grilling food this summer?

Several types of meats being grilled on a round grill

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

To save energy and time, I cook on the grill almost every weekend. I cook 2-3 different meats, such as burgers, chicken, hot dogs, or pork chops. I also cook several side dishes, such as, baked potatoes, grilled squash, or open a can of corn and put on the grill. I have enough for 2-3 more meals.

Spray your grill with nonstick cooking spray to keep items from sticking, and make cleanup easier. I bought a "Kitchen Spritzer" from The Pampered Chef that uses cooking oil in a non-aerosol pump. It is very economical and much greener than commercial products that use propellants. - Nancy

Outside Grilling for Cold Weather. I am grilling outside today! Yes, in 50 degree weather, Brrr! I'm grilling wings, burgers and hot dogs. Then I freeze in bags to be used later. I can pull out what I want, still frozen.

Keep the barbeque grill cleaner by rubbing it with cooking oil before using it. You will have less stuck on food!

Tips for grilling meat. Post your ideas.

Answers

To make the most of your meat purchases, this summer. When grilling, use tongs to turn your meats rather than a fork. The fork holes in the meat allow the natural juices to escape thus leaving your meat dry, tough & tasteless.

When grilling out, if using charcoal. Light the coals & wait for them to get hot & white, spread them evenly on the fire rack. Sprinkle in more charcoal as needed to keep the fire at an even temperature.

Happy Grilling!

By T.H.

Use Wishbone Italian dressing for pork chops and chicken for marinade. It makes meats tasty and tender. The flavor is exceptional. Marinate in a ziploc bag for up to 24 hours in the fridge or you may freeze in the marinade and thaw in the fridge and the meat marinates as it thaws.

Great tip for grilling.

Linda

I parboil all my chicken and ribs before putting them on the grill. This ensures that they will be done before they are burned. Saves time too, because I parboil, package and freeze. So they are always ready to grab and by the time the charcoal is just right, you can have them thawed using the defrost cycle on your microwave. Also wait until the last few minutes to brush with BBQ sauce. If you add it too soon, it just burns.
Harlean from Arkansas

One of my favorite rubs for grilling meats is prepared yellow or brown mustard. Just rub the meat with the mustard and let sit overnight (in the fridge). Throw on the grill with the mustard still on it. Your meat will have a nice flavor but not a mustard taste. (I don't normally eat mustard)

When preparing to BBQ or grill (it's called different things in different places) and you have your meats in a marinade. It's ok to pour the marinade from the container or baggie onto your meat as it's being grilled.

Once your meats are ready to take off the grill, do NOT pour any leftover marinade over the meat, before serving, until you've been able to cook the marinade, on the stove.

You'll be saving your self a trip to the hospital. The marinade still has the bacteria of the raw meat in it. Cook it in a sauce pan on the stove to the boiling point. Then you can serve it with your meats.

By Terri

By Don Spencer (Guest Post)

Would like a chart showing heat range for cooked status for all kinds meat..

Answer this Question

I am a single female in my 80s and cook my own meals. I have no barbeque and wonder what could take the place of one when the recipe calls for grilling.

By Ruth J

Answer this Question
Food and Recipes Food Tips BBQ and GrillMay 2, 2012
👔
🌻
👒
🐛
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf99175024.tip.html