Gnats Biting Dogs

We go to the lake a lot and gnats drive him crazy. If anyone know of what too use on my dog, please let me know.

Pat from IN

Best Answer

Feedstores sell a stick you can use like a crayon around his eyes and ears, of fly repellent. In the horse department. Very effective.

I have found that WD-40 works great. I read about this in the farmers almanac. Farmers use it on horses and cows to keep flies away also.

I also use it to ease the artheritis in jmy elbow. I know it sounds weird but i got this tip off the internet and it works!. ~Janette~

This is from the WD-40 website:
www.wd40.com/.../myths-legends-fun-facts

Myth: WD-40® cures arthritis.

Fact: This popular headline, appearing at least once a year in the tabloids, is completely FALSE. WD-40 Company does not recommend the use of WD-40® for medical purposes, and knows no reason why WD-40® would be effective for arthritis pain relief. WD-40® contains petroleum distillates and should be handled with the same precautions for any product containing this type of material.

By sue (Guest Post)

Adams is very good spray. Some dogs cannot tolerate the strength of it, so use very sparingly. The Avon skin so soft is very good, but use sparingly on it too. Be especially careful around the eyes. They are just as sensitive as a human eyes.

By Diana (Guest Post)

Secure a dryer sheet to his collar.

Someone said that Absorbine Jr. Just a dab on the ears and one on the neck keeps bugs off people. You could try that.

I would be really sure what I put on my dog. First be sure it cannot harm him.

I think I would check with my vet and certainly would not put anything on that would cause him to foam at the mouth. Good luck.

For dogs try wiping petroleum jelly on the areas of the dog the flies are attracted to. It won't hurt the dog and the flies don't like it. WD 40 doesn't work and one wouldn't want a dog ingesting it.

I live in an area where there are gnats and no-seeums, both of which go after my dogs. I rub them down from head to toe with white vinegar. It even keeps the fleas and ticks away, and I don't have to worry about them getting sick.