Cleaning Kool-Aid Stains from Carpet

The thought of kids drinking Kool-aid on the carpet is enough to make any parent cringe. Those brightly colored stains are hard to remove. This is a guide about cleaning Kool-aid stains from carpet.

Tips

Share a TipCheck out these tips or, if you have something to add to this guide, click to share your own tip!

I spilled Hawaiian punch on my carpet and it dried a big red stain into my carpet. I tried resolve and spot shot and neither got them out by themselves. I found this website. Although it seems I couldn't find the original post. Here's how I got it out:

1. Put dish soap and water on the stain and let it set for about a minute.

2. Take a white t shirt and put it over the stain. Use the very edges so that you can repeat this step by using all the surface area of the t-shirt.

3. Take hot iron and run it over the t-shirt that is over the stain. you will start to notice the stain transferring onto the t-shirt. In my case, at the end of this procedure, my t -shirt was almost completely red and it also took out a lot of dirt that one might not notice.

Repeat these steps until it is all gone. It's like magic!

By John

Oh my gosh - this totally worked! I had a professional carpet cleaner come and say that there was no way to get a red Gatorade stain out of the carpet and, by golly, this worked! I'm so thrilled! It really is like a miracle! That stain had been in the carpet for at least a year, and it still came out. Try it!

How do I get Kool-Aid stains out of my carpet?

By Stacey from Strathmore, Alberta

Best Answer

The best way I know is to use your steam iron. Wet a white towel and wring it nearly dry. Turn your iron on the highest steam setting. Place the wet towel over the rug stain, then hold the iron a little above the towel and steam away. You may need to do this several times to get the entire stain out. You should be able to see the stain move from the rug into the wet cloth.

How do I get Kool-Aid stains out of carpet?

By Patti from Pearson, GA

Best Answer

1/4 tsp. mild liquid dishwashing detergent with 1 cup of lukewarm water.

Blot the solution onto the stain. Work from the edges of the stain toward the center of the stain to ensure that you are not spreading it. Gently agitate rather than rub the stain and reapply solution as necessary. Keep blotting with a white cloth. If that does not work then use:

1 cup of white vinegar with 2 cups of water.

Keep blotting the area with a white cloth until the stain no longer transfers onto the white cloth, not rubbing but pressing.

If this is not helping, then make up an ammonia solution, remember never to use any kind of bleach with ammonia, not even on a spot that had bleach on it. You could hurt yourself by the fumes.

Mix 1 Tbsp. of ammonia with 1 cup of water if the stain is still visible. Sometimes ammonia will lighten the carpet a touch.

Blessings, Robyn

How do I get a red Kool-Aid stain out of my carpet?

By LaRena713 from Galesburg, MI

Best Answer

I use oxyclean with good results, and a scrub brush.

I've got two big red stains in my carpet. I don't know what it is, Kool-aid or some kind of red drink

By Olga

I have had good success using vinegar to remove old wine stains.

How do I get red Kool-Aid out of carpet?

By Charleen

My grandbaby spilled her red Kool-Aid like drink on my light colored carpet. I have tried carpet shampoo, dish soap, rubbing alcohol, and Greased Lightning on it. Nothing has worked. I am looking for suggestions on household remedies to get it up.

By Debbie

I have got several future brothers-in-law at my house and they love Kool Aid. I have several stains now and I am having trouble getting them out. I made a home solution consisting of Dawn dish soap, LA Awesome, vinegar, and hot water. I pour the solution on the stain and scrub the area with a brush for five minutes and then I use my carpet cleaner (filled with hot water) and go over the area until there is no more soap coming up and it stops sucking up water. So far it gets 99% of the stain out, but it is still pink (barely noticeable unless you're really paying attention.) The thing is I am a perfectionist and I want to get it completely out. Any ideas?

By Sammi

How do I remove a red Kool-Aid stain from carpet?

Maury-RN from Hixson, TN

Answers:

Koolaid Stain out of Carpet

I used the steam iron and damp towel after I sprayed the stain with a water and a little dish liquid and it

worked! After about 3 times, the stain just disappeared! Thanks so much. (08/25/2007)

By Jai

Koolaid Stain out of Carpet

I used the iron and sprayed it with Grease Lightning prior and let it set for 15 minutes. It all came out! And it

was a 4 hour old Kool-Aid stain! I am so amazed! It took about 15 minutes of the iron over the towel trick, but it

worked and every little bit came out! Thanks. (01/29/2008)

By yowsers!

Koolaid Stain out of Carpet

The stain got lighter, but it's still there. My suggestion is to go and buy new carpet!
(06/15/2008)

By lmanso from Snellville, GA

Koolaid Stain out of Carpet

The steam iron works. Don't mix too much Dawn with water, about 10 parts water to 1 Dawn, it can take color out

of carpet. To recolor go to hobby/craft shop and buy color pen inks (like a Sharpie). One brand is Prismacolor.

They're used to color cloth craft projects. You will need several color combo's to match rug and "clear blender"

color to blend. Lasts about two years on rug even with rug cleaner. (08/14/2008)

By Don w

Red Stain out of White Carpet

Water spilled over onto a red velvet tree skirt this Christmas and then soaked the carpet behind the tree with red

dye. Although I noticed it when it was still wet, it was after the tree was decorated and in place, so rather than

move the tree and deal with it then, I waited, three weeks. I took the tree down today and there the spot was in

its dark pink glory.

I got out the Bissell and all the chemicals I could find, including peroxide, baking soda, alcohol, and various

carpet cleaners. I went over the spot for three hours with that approach, which resulted in an improvement,

however, there was still a faint pink area on my white carpet. I went to the internet and searched for help and

found this site. Amen! I applied stick Spray N Wash because that was all I had, a white t-shirt and hot iron.

Within 20 minutes, the stain disappeared. Amazing. Thank you. (01/03/2009)

By Susan

Koolaid Stain out of Carpet

I have no idea what the stain was on my off white Berber carpet, I just knew there was this dried magenta red

mess. I tried special carpet stain remover, laundry stain remover and no effect. I read these posts and figured I

had nothing to lose. To my amazement, it worked! I love Dawn, but didn't have any, so I just used Safeway store

brand. This will be one tip I will remember and share with all my friends. (12/14/2010)

By tututens

How do you get red Kool-aid out of carpet?

By ajax from Bloomington, IN

How can I get red Kool-Aid stains out of the carpet?

By Teresa from UT

Answers:

Red Kool Aid on Carpet

This works! We have an RV that had a huge red Crystal Light stain on the carpet. The Dawn/water mixture and my Rowenta iron lightened the stain to almost nothing. Don't be discouraged if it doesn't seem to work right away, it took a little while, but it does work! Saved the carpet! (07/19/2010)

By nicevillejen

Red Kool Aid on Carpet

Toothpaste works wonders, and also a small amount of Dawn dish-washing liquid will help to remove the red stain. (07/20/2010)

By syballee

Red Kool Aid on Carpet

Been there with red kool-aid. One word; Spotshot. You can buy it at Walmart for around $3.00. The stuff is worth every penny. Works on other stains as well. (07/27/2010)

By Candy Red Supra

Red Kool Aid on Carpet

Hi Teresa. Awhile ago a wonderful Thrifty Fun reader wrote in about using shaving cream to get stains out of carpets. I have used the tip and shared it with everyone I know. Try it, you will be surprised how well it really works. (They sell it at the Dollar Store.) I now use shaving cream on all sorts of things and found it to be GREAT! (07/27/2010)

By Tedebear

Red Kool Aid on Carpet

This really worked, thanks all! I tried it only because I have taken wax out of carpet and clothes using an iron and a brown paper bag. I figured that at this point it was my last option, and it was a success! (09/13/2010)

By Mrs.Scarvace

Red Kool Aid on Carpet

Okay, so I had two very pink spots on my beige carpet and we are renting. I was so nervous that these wouldn't come out. I tried the rug doctor, Resolve, some other very strong stain remover from Lowe's. Nothing worked. One was some pink ice cream for dogs, the other dog puked (it was pink from his food). I tried this method and within minutes it worked! The ice cream one was at least 6 months old and the food one about a few days! I recommend it! And I can't believe it worked! :) (09/14/2010)

By Marinewyf

How do I remove red Kool-aid stains from carpet?

By Bruce from Pittsburgh, PA

Answers:

Red Kool Aid on Carpet

Go to this website: http://ezinearticles.com/?Kool-Aid-Stains-In-Carpet---Removing-Themandid=63042
It has some good professional tips. (05/13/2010)

By yoder178

Red Kool Aid on Carpet

I live in Houston, TX USA and there is a product in the cleaning aisle of my grocery store called "Incredible". It really is.

Check your store. It's a cylinder plastic bottle with a white background and the letters are printed in red and blue. Sorry, I don't know the manufacturer, but I bet you could Google it.

Good luck. Talk about a pain; that's the worst color to get out of anything, I think.

You might try RIT which is a clothing dye you can use at home. Also in the cleaning aisle. They make a product that removes color from clothing, but maybe it will work for carpet, too.

Good luck to you! (06/13/2010)

By metroplex

Red Kool Aid on Carpet

Oxiclean maybe? (06/14/2010)

By mollyring

Red Kool Aid on Carpet

Sorry it took me so long to post. Several years ago I got red stains on white carpet. I called my carpet man who suggested a product called "Red Out". I got it from him. It is a 16 oz bottle. Information from the bottle: A Dyco Product from Hawk Mfg. Co Dallas, TX. 1-800-255-6020. You apply it, then put a white wet towel over it and use a steam iron. It takes a while to see results, but it works. Good luck to you. Disclaimer: I don't work for the company. Call a carpet dealer to see if they may have it for you. Good luck! (06/23/2010)

By Happy05

This really works!

I read here on ThriftyFun about using hot water, Dawn soap, white towels, and an iron to remove red Kool Aid (or in my case Crystal Light stains) from carpet.

I came home from vacation to find the 1 1/2 by 6 inch bright pinkish-red stain in the middle of my 50 year old Karistan cream-colored rug. I tried an entire bottle of Folex, Fuller's upholstery cleaner, and even gave Nature's Miracle a try. The Folex took a very little bit of it out, but the stain was still very dark and very bright. This cheap, easy method is what worked:

In a bucket or pan, mix the water and Dawn soap. Dunk a towel in and squeeze the excess water out. With your fingers, sprinkle some of the soap/water mixture directly on the stain and agitate a bit with your fingers. Place the damp towel over the stain. Place the iron on the towel over the stain for a few seconds. (The directions I used said to use a warm iron, but as my rug is wool I went ahead and used the hot/cotton iron setting. I imagine that warm would be best for synthetic carpets/upholstery.) When you move the iron, you should see a pink stain on the towel. Move to the next section of the stain and repeat.

I repeated this process 7-8 times (about 15 minutes) to get the stain out. I think I may be able to still see a very, very faint pink tint, but I am going to wait for it to dry to be sure. If I still see anything I will do it a few more times.
Thank you, thank you for this idea!
(06/27/2010)

By KristenP

Red Kool Aid on Carpet

I have been working on a cherry Crystal Light stain for months now. I have tried so much it makes me sick. I never would have believed this if I hadn't done it myself. The water, Dawn, and iron. Keep changing the towels and it is gone. I was able to keep the stain hidden from my husband by moving furniture around. I can now rearrange my living room without having that worry anymore. Thank you so much for the person who started this post. I still can't believe it worked so well. Just wish I would have tried this first. (07/07/2010)

By BECKY1999

I am looking for info on getting red punch Kool-Aid stain out of white upholstery.

I have a red Kool-Aid stain that I have already used a carpet cleaner on. What else can I use to get the stain out of my carpet?

How do I clean red Kool Aid out of white carpet?

We recently bought a condo, unfortunately the people living before us left red Kool-aid stains in the beige carpet. I have been trying for 6 months to clean it with little luck, any suggestions?

How can I remove red Kool-Aid from a beige carpet?

I need to know how to get red Kool aid out of my carpet.

How do you get red Kool Aid out of carpet? It is on beige carpet, I have tried everything to clean it up.

How do I remove red Kool Aid stain from carpet?

How do I remove red Kool-aid from carpet?

How do you remove red Kool-aid stains from carpet?

I am needing help in getting red kool-aid and soda out of my carpet I have tried hydrogen peroxide and its not helping.

How do you get red kool-aid out of carpet?

My son just spilled red Koolaid on our carpeting and I need help removing it. Any suggestions?

Anybody know what will get out red kool-aid from kids bedroom carpet?

I need advice on getting stains out of carpet. A couple months ago someone got sick on my floor. Please help me to get the koolaid stains out of carpet before my lease is up.