Browsing: Cleaning a Dooney and Bourke Purse

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Cleaning a Dooney and Bourke Purse

These popular purses can look great again with proper cleaning. This guide is about cleaning a Dooney and Bourke purse.

Cleaning a Dooney and Bourke
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

April 3, 2016 Flag

I got a Dooney and Burke purse at a yard sale. It's pretty dirty with surface dirt. Does anyone know how to clean it?

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You can't clean it sorry

January 15, 2014 Flag

How do I remove ink from the outside of my Dooney and Bourke heart purse?

By RC from KY

Hair spray! Removes ink from your purse!

Which type of purses? Leather, canvas, cabriolet, coated cotton? Linings? How to do it? Thanks.

July 17, 2007 Flag

I have a Dooney and Bourke bubblegum colored "IT" bag. The pink leather has started to appear faded, almost whitish and there are a few spots like that on the purse? Does anyone know why this happens or how to clean it? Thanks!

Isabel from TX

I have a black Dooney IT bag, it has faded to an ugly grey. I sent them a e mail. They responded and asked me to send the bag for them to inspect and if they can't repair it they will give me half the current retail price on the item to apply towards a new item of equal or greater value. When you spend a lot on a bag you expect it to last a while! They should stop making the IT and other coated cotton bags if they are just going to be garbage in a few years.

The phenomena described here is not a problem with staining or the leather on the handbags. The D&B "IT" bags and others that have the leather trim and the graphic prints actually consist of cotton that is coated, very much like a rain coat.

Dooney & Bourke needs to improve the surface treatment because this is an extremely common problem on their coated cotton bags and no doubt the reason why a lot of people deride D&B as "cheap" compared to Coach or Louis Vuitton. (LV monogram bags consist mostly, also, of canvas but with bulletproof durability and a much heftier price tag to match.)

As far as I know there is no repair Dooney & Bourke can make other than offering a credit (which also echos my own experience when I approached them a couple years ago about the same problem). It's not clear why some of these bags have no problem whatsoever for 5 years or more and others start fading even when they are left mostly untouched in a dark closet. Heat and sunlight only accelerate the problem.

It is my impression as someone who once worked in a repair shop that there is an underlying defect or impurity in sealing the cotton such that the coating does not remain at the surface of the canvas as it should. All the handbags start off looking the same but within a year or two, regardless of whether they are used and even if you never apply any type of cleaning product to the canvas, the fading sets in.

From what I can tell, it's not that the color is wearing off from normal use but that it is being absorbed into the grain of the fabric. The result is the appearance of dull gray clouds or generalized fading, a problem which is most apparent on the black and brown graphical bags.

At the first sign of problem, it may slow the progression to condition the canvas surface with a leather conditioner or to to rub in some colorless shoe wax/polish (something I will be trying out on my own bag, actually). The bottom line here is that if you're going to salvage the bag you'll have to be willing to experiment (just be sure that none of the treatments you apply to the canvas touch the colorless "naked leather" trim unless you wish for it to darken down considerably).

Should anyone find a solution that prevents the problem in the first place, please post and let the rest of us know.

July 15, 2011 Flag

How do I clean my white fabric Dooney hand bag? I put it through the gentle cycle in the washer and hung it to dry and it is still not clean!

By npk

Dissolve a quarter cup of Cascade dish detergent in some hot water in your washer; use the lowest water level you can. Let it cool and put the bag in, agitate it to be sure it's completely saturated and let it soak for about 15 minutes. Rinse well and let it dry.

This took baby formula with iron out of some hand me down undershirts and bibs. I even got mildew off a canvas bag by making a paste, scrubbing it with a toothbrush and then washing it as above, but your bag might not like the scrubbing part.

I contacted the the company and they told me how to clean mine. Just look them up on the internet and send them an email.

Carol

July 17, 2012 Flag

How can I clean my fabric Doonie bag? I got black stuff on it this morning and I am freaking out because it is brand new.

By Stacey

Their website has directions for cleaning different types of bags: http://www.dooney.com/OA_HTML/ibeCC ... %3DdVWChEGqeye7tecZkAniZiTB%253AS%7E

January 15, 2012 Flag

My son spilled his glass of milk on my Dooney and Bourke fabric purse. Will it stain and how would I clean it?

By Amanda P

You can contact Dooney & Bourke by phone or email, they should be able to tell you how to clean it. They also have a link where you can get live help from 9AM to 9PM (EST) Monday through Friday. Here is a link to their contact page. The link is long, you might have to copy and paste it if clicking doesn't work.

http://www.dooney.com/

February 24, 2011 Flag

I need help in cleaning a borrowed Dooney and Bourke handbag. The inside of the handbag has dirt and a few ink stains on the fabric on the inside. This was borrowed so I need help. If I can not get it clean I will have to purchase a new bag and they don't make this type of brown giraffe print anymore. Thanks.

By Jean from TX

For the ink, I would recommend spraying a clean, dry cloth with some hairspray, and then try to rub a spot of the inside of the purse with the cloth to see if that will remove it. Hairspray on ink has always worked for me to remove it, but since you have a borrowed item, just be careful. It should work however. Let me know if it does. Thanks.

February 6, 2011 Flag

I have a Dooney and Bourke brown purse and recently noticed a white dingy stain on the bottom of my purse. I tried using a leather cleaner, but it did not work! How can I remove the stain?

By Rebecca from McAllen, TX

I am disgusted with dooney and their lack of customer service. I have a it bag. I have so many bags i carry them for about 1 week a year each. After 3 years the coated cotton began bubbling. I went through the same process of mailing the bag in, paying myself. I was offered the credit but you didn't mention not only do you get the credit but you have to spend the same amount out of pocket too. For example $75 credit, you must spend $75 also and get a bag worth $150 or more. So I had the bag sent back, though I rarely carry it. Then my coated cotton Miami bag, not only started bubbling but it also faded to a gray when it was once black. This time I refused to send the bag in. I demanded to speak to a supervisor. Who basically said, once you have had a bag for a year (doesn't matter if you only carried it for a week) they don't stand behind it anymore. All they will ever offer is the trade in. I tried every tactic on her. She didn't care and she truly didn't care that she was losing several (me and the ladies in my family) customers based on the outcome of this conversation. Dooney does not stand behind their product, stick with Coach folks!

November 29, 2010 Flag

How do I remove stains from a Dooney and Bourke purse? It is a yellow stain.

January 6, 2009 Flag

Has anyone ever had yellow stains around the zipper? It just turned yellow, it is a white purse.

Load More
Home and Garden Cleaning MiscellaneousSeptember 9, 2012
Placemat Purse
Making a Placemat Purse
Plarn coin purse.
Plarn Coin Purse
Two baby cradle church purses with Kewpie dolls inside.
Crocheted Baby Cradle Purse
Purse decorated with CDs.
Making a CD Purse
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 26, 2016 at 5:16:22 AM on 10.0.2.218 in 5 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.