Cleaning a Dooney and Bourke Purse

Category Miscellaneous
These popular purses can look great again with proper cleaning. This guide is about cleaning a Dooney and Bourke purse.

How do I remove ink from the outside of my Dooney and Bourke heart purse?

By RC from KY

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Hair spray! Removes ink from your purse!

I got a Dooney and Burke purse at a yard sale. It's pretty dirty with surface dirt. Does anyone know how to clean it?

I have a Dooney and Bourke bubblegum colored "IT" bag. The pink leather has started to appear faded, almost whitish and there are a few spots like that on the purse? Does anyone know why this happens or how to clean it? Thanks!

Isabel from TX

I have a black Dooney IT bag, it has faded to an ugly grey. I sent them a e mail. They responded and asked me to send the bag for them to inspect and if they can't repair it they will give me half the current retail price on the item to apply towards a new item of equal or greater value. When you spend a lot on a bag you expect it to last a while! They should stop making the IT and other coated cotton bags if they are just going to be garbage in a few years.

How do I clean my white fabric Dooney hand bag? I put it through the gentle cycle in the washer and hung it to dry and it is still not clean!

By npk

Dissolve a quarter cup of Cascade dish detergent in some hot water in your washer; use the lowest water level you can. Let it cool and put the bag in, agitate it to be sure it's completely saturated and let it soak for about 15 minutes. Rinse well and let it dry.

This took baby formula with iron out of some hand me down undershirts and bibs. I even got mildew off a canvas bag by making a paste, scrubbing it with a toothbrush and then washing it as above, but your bag might not like the scrubbing part.

I have a Dooney and Bourke purse in crimson red, something spilled on it. I tried to clean the purse and now it's faded. How do I match this color? It's a dark red.

By Irene

Anonymous

I BOUGHT A D&B LEATHER PURSE THAT IS STILL IN GOOD SHAPE BUT AROUND THE ZIPPER IT IS FADED ALMOST LIKE IT WAS LEFT IN THE SUN,I PAID OVER 100 DOLLARS FOR A 2ND HAND PURSE,BUT I DIDNT SEE THE FADE WHEN BOUGHT,SO IT THERE ANYWAY IT CAN GO BACK TO ITS ORIGINAL LEATHER COLOR.THANKS

How can I clean my fabric Doonie bag? I got black stuff on it this morning and I am freaking out because it is brand new.

By Stacey

Their website has directions for cleaning different types of bags: http://www.doon  AniZiTB%253AS%7E

My son spilled his glass of milk on my Dooney and Bourke fabric purse. Will it stain and how would I clean it?

By Amanda P

You can contact Dooney & Bourke by phone or email, they should be able to tell you how to clean it. They also have a link where you can get live help from 9AM to 9PM (EST) Monday through Friday. Here is a link to their contact page. The link is long, you might have to copy and paste it if clicking doesn't work.

http://www.dooney.com/

How can I wash this bag? I tried to wash it with soap and water in the sink and the bright pink fabric on the inside faded to the grey exterior. I cannot get the color bleed out of the grey exterior.

By Denise

I need help in cleaning a borrowed Dooney and Bourke handbag. The inside of the handbag has dirt and a few ink stains on the fabric on the inside. This was borrowed so I need help. If I can not get it clean I will have to purchase a new bag and they don't make this type of brown giraffe print anymore. Thanks.

By Jean from TX

Answer Was this helpful? 1

For the ink, I would recommend spraying a clean, dry cloth with some hairspray, and then try to rub a spot of the inside of the purse with the cloth to see if that will remove it. Hairspray on ink has always worked for me to remove it, but since you have a borrowed item, just be careful. It should work however. Let me know if it does. Thanks.

I have taken my Dooney and Bourke out of the dust bag. The straps have white film on them. What causes this?

By Rosemary C.

I have a Dooney and Bourke brown purse and recently noticed a white dingy stain on the bottom of my purse. I tried using a leather cleaner, but it did not work! How can I remove the stain?

By Rebecca from McAllen, TX

I am disgusted with dooney and their lack of customer service. I have a it bag. I have so many bags i carry them for about 1 week a year each. After 3 years the coated cotton began bubbling. I went through the same process of mailing the bag in, paying myself. I was offered the credit but you didn't mention not only do you get the credit but you have to spend the same amount out of pocket too. For example $75 credit, you must spend $75 also and get a bag worth $150 or more. So I had the bag sent back, though I rarely carry it. Then my coated cotton Miami bag, not only started bubbling but it also faded to a gray when it was once black. This time I refused to send the bag in. I demanded to speak to a supervisor. Who basically said, once you have had a bag for a year (doesn't matter if you only carried it for a week) they don't stand behind it anymore. All they will ever offer is the trade in. I tried every tactic on her. She didn't care and she truly didn't care that she was losing several (me and the ladies in my family) customers based on the outcome of this conversation. Dooney does not stand behind their product, stick with Coach folks!

What kind of fabric lines a Dooney and Bourke bag? I'm referring to the hot pink lining in their popular designs.

By Sarah B

I have the Dooney and Bourke white leather purse with pics of purses and flip flops on it. It is turning a yellowish color. The bag is in great condition, but looks "dirty". What should I do to restore it to its original color?

By Mary G

There is a yellow purse in the picture here: Dooney purse. Is that yellow tint normal?

By Anita

I bought this light pink leather purse from someone and it has a grayish stain on the bottom front corner lining. How do I get that cleaned?

By Lu C.

How do you clean the DB purse pictured on this site? Purse Mine looks like this one which is discolored! I have tried all the suggestions posted and nothing budges my problem! I even tried pure Clorox (very carefully) on a small area thinking I could bleach it out. Help.

By Shirley R

In searching the internet I came across you. Your post for cleaning those popular purses says that they can look great again with proper cleaning, but you don't mention which of the UGG products works on the purse. Please let me know. I would be interested in trying the product. Thank you.

By Janet D. from Lutz, FL

I was given a Dooney and Burke by my mom. She said I could have it and clean it up. So I cleaned it with Gain, a toothbrush, and water. It cleaned well, but the problem is I got the leather trademark on it wet and it looks bad! It bled on the fabric and it has water marks on the leather.
Did I ruin it? Or is there any way to fix this at all?

By Angela

How do I clean my Dooney and Bourke fabric handbag with a leather strap and handles?

By CB

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to clean a fabric Dooney and Bourke purse?

By Kandy

How do I clean a nylon fabric Dooney and Burke handbag?

By KS

How do I clean my fabric Dooney and Burke purse?

By Richelle

How do I remove stains from a Dooney and Bourke purse? It is a yellow stain.

By normswife from Jacksonville, FL

Answers:

Stains on a Dooney and Bourke Purse

Dooney and Bourke home page. You can also click the 'Live Help' link at the bottom of the page:

dooney.com (05/17/2009)

By Anonymous

Stains on a Dooney and Bourke Purse

I have found a solution! Note: This is not for the faint of heart!

I have a white DandB bucket bag. I wanted this purse so badly. I took excellent care of it. I was devastated when I noticed it yellowing. I have never had the purse around smoke of any kind. It didn't make sense that it would be changing color. The bottom is completely perfect, still. I decided that enough was enough, nobody has yet posted anything online that gets rid of the yellowing so I decided to figure it out on my own.

I clipped away a tiny piece of plastic and noticed that the fabric under it was yellowed just as badly as the plastic coating. I decided that all the scrubbing in the world would not penetrate to get rid of all the stains. This is where you need to be brave and trust me. I ripped the plastic coating off of one entire side of my purse. I know it was a scary move, but it needed to be done if the purse was going to be saved!

I tried every cleaner I could think of. Nothing, not even a bleach pen was working. Then my mom suggested I use fels naptha soap. This is a yellow bar of soap that can probably be found near the detergent of your local Kmart/Wal-Mart/Target.

I wet the side of my purse and scrubbed the fels naptha all over. Then I took an old toothbrush and scrubbed even more until I had a good sudsing all over the purse. I set the purse in front of a fan to allow it to dry. When the purse was dry, I then took it to the sink and washed it off with a white wash cloth. I set it back in front of the fan to dry again and was amazed at the results!

I repeated the process, only the second time I added a layer of Colgate baking soda and peroxide whitening with oxygen bubbles brisk mint paste. I noticed that this made some improvement when I tested it on a small section of the fabric, so I figured, why not? Every little bit helps. (07/28/2009)

By Princess20

Stains on a Dooney and Bourke Purse

Here is how dark my purse was before compared to the bottom. (07/28/2009)

By Princess20

RE: Stains on a Dooney and Bourke Purse

Stains on a Dooney and Bourke Purse

Here is what the side that I have started working on now compares to the bottom. It's not 100% yet, but there are just a few darker spots left and I'm sure with a couple more washes I'll be able to proudly take this purse back in public! Thanks for nothing Dooney and Bourke! (07/28/2009)

By Princess20

RE: Stains on a Dooney and Bourke Purse

Stains on a Dooney and Bourke Purse

After scrubbing my purse, I wanted to try something different on the other side.
I went to my local store and decided to try some Oxiclean. I highly recommend using OxiClean MaxForce. I used the spray bottle. It worked like a charm! I sprayed the purse and rubbed it in really good and let it set for about 10-15 minutes. Then I rinsed it off in the sink in hot water with some detergent. My purse looks as good as new, minus the plastic coating.
(08/31/2009)

By Princess20

Anonymous

I sprayed my with oxyclean the laundry spray then smoothed it all over and layed it out in the sun. After 30 min it was obviously lighter. It's still outside with the wallet. I'm going to give it a scrub, rinse, and let the sun bleach it out. The brown straps are fine.

Has anyone ever had yellow stains around the zipper? It just turned yellow, it is a white purse.

Answers:

Stains on a Dooney and Bourke Purse

I have two of the IT bags from Dooney and Bourke, and both are only a few years old. They were white, and now have turned a lovely shade of yellow. I'm going to bring them to a cleaners and see if it's something that can be fixed, but I am extremely disappointed in this company now, and don't plan on buying another bag from them. I have a total of 4 bags from the company and they all have their own small problems. (04/15/2008)

By Heather

Stains on a Dooney and Bourke Purse

I have the Dooney and Bourke white heart barrel purse. It has now turned a nasty yellow color. After reading your comments I am very upset with the Dooney and Bourke company. When you pay $150 for a purse you expect it to hold up. I've only had mine for one year. What a piece of junk. I'm not sure if I should buy any thing else from that company ever again. (05/04/2008)

By Liz

Stains on a Dooney and Bourke Purse

So I'm guessing the yellowing isn't repairable? I also purchased a white barrel purse a year and a half ago and noticed just a month ago that it had turned yellow everywhere except the bottom. I scrimped and saved for that purse and it cost me $250, then I learn (conveniently) just over a year later that it's ruined!

I've been searching the net to see if there was a way to repair it because apparently D&B won't refund me or repair my purse since it has been over a year. I kept my purse in my closet which was cool, shaded, and had plenty of air circulation so I have no idea why this would have happened. If anyone has any suggestions to try, please let me know! (05/20/2008)

By Meghan S.

Stains on a Dooney and Bourke Purse

I'm starting to think maybe I should stick with coach. (06/05/2008)

By yvette

Stains on a Dooney and Bourke Purse

I have one that has yellowed, too. It is so ugly and I didn't send mine to D&B because I had already read that they won't replace it. That stinks! See the photo! (06/11/2008)

By baggirl

RE: Stains on a Dooney and Bourke Purse

Stains on a Dooney and Bourke Purse

I just received my letter back from Dooney and Bourke and they fed me the same stuff! Buy a new more expensive purse for $155+ or they'll send back my old purse and still charge me to fix things that should not have happened in the first place. The worse part is, I spent $10 on shipping and they expect me to pay shipping fees again on the return or new purchase! There isn't even one purse on the website that I like enough to put their measly credit towards! VERY DISAPPOINTED.

P.S. The GUESS purses are much cuter for the money & are probably made better for. I've been borrowing my daughter's and it's in great condition. I guess my next letter will be to the newspaper, for I am friends with the editor. In these trying times, dooney should be kissing everyone to get sales. (08/08/2008)

By Deanna

Stains on a Dooney and Bourke Purse

I bought my wife a Dooney IT bag. It has also turned a nasty shade of yellow. She didn't use it very often. It mostly sat in a dark closet, but the small amount of light that reached it was enough to turn it ugly shades of yellow. There is no doubt Dooney has a quality problem and they're still selling this crap. The bag was never mistreated, and always stored properly. The Dooney we just bought for my daughter will be going back to the store now. It's not worth the trouble. (08/11/2008)

By Karl

Stains on a Dooney and Bourke Purse

I also have a white IT bag from Dooney and Bourke, approximately 4 years old. I would expect this bag to last longer and I am very disappointed! I was planning on trying to get my money back or a new purse but it seems other customers were unable to get anywhere with the company. I will be sure to pass on to everyone how bad their quality is. (08/13/2008)

By Jen

Stains on a Dooney and Bourke Purse

Never again that I will buy another one from this company. It sucks but it's true. I tried cleaning my "IT D&B bag" and nothings work. Unless somebody discovers how to clean it right that wants to share it. (08/16/2008)

By Lennie

Stains on a Dooney and Bourke Purse

Mine ripped and I can't get my money back. It was a $150 wallet. I will never buy D&B again, or recommend it to my friends. (08/22/2008)

By Marianna

Stains on a Dooney and Bourke Purse

I got a red Dooney Rope bag for Valentine's Day. I have 8 Dooney's, but this one was my favorite. 4 months after I received the bag I discovered terrible blue jean fade on it. I couldn't believe the material had stained like it did. It just so happened I was near a Dooney outlet when the fade occurred. The manager looked at it and told me to send it back and that I would get a new one. She even gave me the shipping label.

Well, I sent the bag along, and too bad for me. They would only give me half the purchase price on a credit. I couldn't even get anything "on sale", it had to be full price. I hate this, because I really love the purses, but I am really disgusted on how they handled this. It seems like customer satisfaction should mean more than that. (08/24/2008)

By Cherie

Stains on a Dooney and Bourke Purse

I had just contacted the company on my Dooney and Bourke IT barrel purse and they gave me a line of nonsense about it being the natural aging of the leather. They conveniently stated that I could send it back and get one at 1/2 price, but not much more was offered to me. Unbelievable! I will spread this around and tell ALL my friends to NOT BUY DOONEY AND BOURKE! Their prices are very high but their customer satisfaction is LOW. The purse was a year old in July. Never again will I deal with this company! (09/08/2008)

By Beth

Stains on a Dooney and Bourke Purse

I also have the same problem. I was cleaning out my closet and I have the It barrel and bucket one, also the matching watch. 3 months after I purchased them, they got yellow and I didn't wear them often. So to make a long story short, I decided to Google in hope to solve this issue instead of throwing them out, but I'm very disappointed to see what bad customer service D&B has. (09/10/2008)

By Nancy

Stains on a Dooney and Bourke Purse

I am very upset about the purses from D&B, I have 2 of them and they both turned a yucky yellow color. I tried cleaning it and taking it to a cleaner, and nothing worked. I will never buy a D&B again. (09/18/2008)

By Heather

Stains on a Dooney and Bourke Purse

I cannot believe that so many people have this same problem. I have the same white barrel purse someone posted an image of and mine looks JUST like it now. I thought I was doing something wrong. Mine was a Christmas gift and I am amazed at how terrible it looks. I loved that purse and was expecting the leather handles to fade but didn't expect my white $160 purse to turn yellow in six months. I have been searching online forever to find a way to clean it, I was even willing to pay dooney and burke to clean it. Apparently they don't care about their product. I also had the matching $60 wallet...which I ended up just throwing in the trash it was so terrible looking. Nice. I'll never buy or recommend to anyone. That sucks. $320 in the trash. (10/02/2008)

By Shawna

Stains on a Dooney and Bourke Purse

Keep reporting the company to BBB. Just because it's a brand name doesn't mean you can't complain about them. (10/24/2008)

By christine

Stains on a Dooney and Bourke Purse

Well ladies, I have experienced the same problem with my bucket bag. Today I came across a couple in a re-sale store which all looked fine. I pulled my bag out and tried to clean it with a Mr. Clean "Magic Eraser".... no luck! There has to be something we can do. I paid $130 for this bag 2 years ago. I wish someone could explain to me how Dooney & Bourke can get away with what is an obvious defect in a product. (11/08/2008)

By Denise

Stains on a Dooney and Bourke Purse

WOW this is crazy. I have had my D&B for only about 6 months. It's been about 2 months since I used it. I pulled it out of my closet and it's a highlighter yellow. It's disgusting, I have tried everything. I even sprayed some Clorox Spray on it and let it set for about an hour. Nothing happened. I will never buy a product from them again. (11/09/2008)

Stains on a Dooney and Bourke Purse

I tried everything to clean my purse, and nothing would work. I wanted to sell it on ebay because an ex bought it for me, but it looks horrible. I emailed Dooney and Bourke but I got no response. (11/13/2008)

By Jessica

Stains on a Dooney and Bourke Purse

I just took my white It bag out of the closet to sell on ebay and it is yellow. I googled how to get the yellow out but ended up here with everyone else. No more Dooney and Bourke for me, I will stick with Juicy Couture or Coach. Thank you for all of your similar incidents, I won't waste my time trying to clean it. (11/27/2008)

By Cynthia A.

Stains on a Dooney and Bourke Purse

This may sound kind of silly but I've had my Dooney purse for over a year and it's still white. I've used it maybe 40 days out of that year. When I'm not using it I store it in a vacuum sealed bag and put it in a hat box.
I heard that this is how shipping factories store. And it works great. My sister does the same thing and her purse is white also. (12/18/2008)

By brandy

Anonymous

Terrible yellow stain by zipper. Design flaw for certain. Mine did it all by itself in the closet in a non- smoking home.

How do I clean my Dooney and Bourke purse? It is the type that has all weather material and leather trim.

How can I get tanning oil out of a leather purse? I have a 200 dollar Dooney and Bourke leather purse and spilled tanning oil on it. Anybody know how to get it out?

I would like to know how to clean mold and mildew from several types of Dooney and Bourke purses.

How can I clean a fabric Dooney and Bourke purse?

How do you clean a Dooney and Burke purse?

My bag is a light cream color with black polka dots, and black leather trim. I tried unsuccessfully for a year to get the bag professionally cleaned.

I think my Dooney and Bourke bag was sitting on the wet mat of my car floor and now there is a big stain on the back of it.

Can I wash my Dooney bag in a pillow case with Woolite?

I purchased a light brown suede Dooney and Bourke bag and wore the bag once. I pulled it out recently after almost one year and it now looks as if I had worn it all year.

How do I clean my Dooney and Bourke bag?

I have NO IDEA how to remove a stain on my Dooney and Bourke Bag. My bag is WHITE and its style is "IT".

How do I clean my Dooney and Bourke fabric bag?

I have a pink cloth fabric Dooney and Bourke purse with pink dots and db in white. I have a stain on it and don't know how to clean it.

How do I clean my Dooney & Bourke purse? It is black with brown trim and the black looks faded some.

How do I clean the inside of my Dooney & Bourke? There are make-ups marks on the cloth.

Load More