Cleaning a Dooney and Bourke Purse

These popular purses can look great again with proper cleaning. This guide is about cleaning a Dooney and Bourke purse.

April 3, 2016 Flag

I got a Dooney and Burke purse at a yard sale. It's pretty dirty with surface dirt. Does anyone know how to clean it?

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 15, 2014 Flag

How do I remove ink from the outside of my Dooney and Bourke heart purse?

By RC from KY

Hair spray! Removes ink from your purse!

July 17, 2007 Flag

I have a Dooney and Bourke bubblegum colored "IT" bag. The pink leather has started to appear faded, almost whitish and there are a few spots like that on the purse? Does anyone know why this happens or how to clean it? Thanks!

Isabel from TX

I have a black Dooney IT bag, it has faded to an ugly grey. I sent them a e mail. They responded and asked me to send the bag for them to inspect and if they can't repair it they will give me half the current retail price on the item to apply towards a new item of equal or greater value. When you spend a lot on a bag you expect it to last a while! They should stop making the IT and other coated cotton bags if they are just going to be garbage in a few years.

July 15, 2011 Flag

How do I clean my white fabric Dooney hand bag? I put it through the gentle cycle in the washer and hung it to dry and it is still not clean!

By npk

Dissolve a quarter cup of Cascade dish detergent in some hot water in your washer; use the lowest water level you can. Let it cool and put the bag in, agitate it to be sure it's completely saturated and let it soak for about 15 minutes. Rinse well and let it dry.

This took baby formula with iron out of some hand me down undershirts and bibs. I even got mildew off a canvas bag by making a paste, scrubbing it with a toothbrush and then washing it as above, but your bag might not like the scrubbing part.

July 17, 2012 Flag

How can I clean my fabric Doonie bag? I got black stuff on it this morning and I am freaking out because it is brand new.

By Stacey

Their website has directions for cleaning different types of bags: http://www.dooney.com/OA_HTML/ibeCC ... %3DdVWChEGqeye7tecZkAniZiTB%253AS%7E

January 15, 2012 Flag

My son spilled his glass of milk on my Dooney and Bourke fabric purse. Will it stain and how would I clean it?

By Amanda P

You can contact Dooney & Bourke by phone or email, they should be able to tell you how to clean it. They also have a link where you can get live help from 9AM to 9PM (EST) Monday through Friday. Here is a link to their contact page. The link is long, you might have to copy and paste it if clicking doesn't work.

http://www.dooney.com/

February 24, 2011 Flag

I need help in cleaning a borrowed Dooney and Bourke handbag. The inside of the handbag has dirt and a few ink stains on the fabric on the inside. This was borrowed so I need help. If I can not get it clean I will have to purchase a new bag and they don't make this type of brown giraffe print anymore. Thanks.

By Jean from TX

For the ink, I would recommend spraying a clean, dry cloth with some hairspray, and then try to rub a spot of the inside of the purse with the cloth to see if that will remove it. Hairspray on ink has always worked for me to remove it, but since you have a borrowed item, just be careful. It should work however. Let me know if it does. Thanks.

February 6, 2011 Flag

I have a Dooney and Bourke brown purse and recently noticed a white dingy stain on the bottom of my purse. I tried using a leather cleaner, but it did not work! How can I remove the stain?

By Rebecca from McAllen, TX

I am disgusted with dooney and their lack of customer service. I have a it bag. I have so many bags i carry them for about 1 week a year each. After 3 years the coated cotton began bubbling. I went through the same process of mailing the bag in, paying myself. I was offered the credit but you didn't mention not only do you get the credit but you have to spend the same amount out of pocket too. For example $75 credit, you must spend $75 also and get a bag worth $150 or more. So I had the bag sent back, though I rarely carry it. Then my coated cotton Miami bag, not only started bubbling but it also faded to a gray when it was once black. This time I refused to send the bag in. I demanded to speak to a supervisor. Who basically said, once you have had a bag for a year (doesn't matter if you only carried it for a week) they don't stand behind it anymore. All they will ever offer is the trade in. I tried every tactic on her. She didn't care and she truly didn't care that she was losing several (me and the ladies in my family) customers based on the outcome of this conversation. Dooney does not stand behind their product, stick with Coach folks!

November 29, 2010 Flag

How do I remove stains from a Dooney and Bourke purse? It is a yellow stain.

By normswife from Jacksonville, FL

Answers:

Stains on a Dooney and Bourke Purse

Dooney and Bourke home page. You can also click the 'Live Help' link at the bottom of the page:

dooney.com (05/17/2009)

By Anonymous

Stains on a Dooney and Bourke Purse

I have found a solution! Note: This is not for the faint of heart!

I have a white DandB bucket bag. I wanted this purse so badly. I took excellent care of it. I was devastated when I noticed it yellowing. I have never had the purse around smoke of any kind. It didn't make sense that it would be changing color. The bottom is completely perfect, still. I decided that enough was enough, nobody has yet posted anything online that gets rid of the yellowing so I decided to figure it out on my own.

I clipped away a tiny piece of plastic and noticed that the fabric under it was yellowed just as badly as the plastic coating. I decided that all the scrubbing in the world would not penetrate to get rid of all the stains. This is where you need to be brave and trust me. I ripped the plastic coating off of one entire side of my purse. I know it was a scary move, but it needed to be done if the purse was going to be saved!

I tried every cleaner I could think of. Nothing, not even a bleach pen was working. Then my mom suggested I use fels naptha soap. This is a yellow bar of soap that can probably be found near the detergent of your local Kmart/Wal-Mart/Target.

I wet the side of my purse and scrubbed the fels naptha all over. Then I took an old toothbrush and scrubbed even more until I had a good sudsing all over the purse. I set the purse in front of a fan to allow it to dry. When the purse was dry, I then took it to the sink and washed it off with a white wash cloth. I set it back in front of the fan to dry again and was amazed at the results!

I repeated the process, only the second time I added a layer of Colgate baking soda and peroxide whitening with oxygen bubbles brisk mint paste. I noticed that this made some improvement when I tested it on a small section of the fabric, so I figured, why not? Every little bit helps. (07/28/2009)

By Princess20

Stains on a Dooney and Bourke Purse

Here is how dark my purse was before compared to the bottom. (07/28/2009)

By Princess20

RE: Stains on a Dooney and Bourke Purse

Stains on a Dooney and Bourke Purse

Here is what the side that I have started working on now compares to the bottom. It's not 100% yet, but there are just a few darker spots left and I'm sure with a couple more washes I'll be able to proudly take this purse back in public! Thanks for nothing Dooney and Bourke! (07/28/2009)

By Princess20

RE: Stains on a Dooney and Bourke Purse

Stains on a Dooney and Bourke Purse

After scrubbing my purse, I wanted to try something different on the other side.
I went to my local store and decided to try some Oxiclean. I highly recommend using OxiClean MaxForce. I used the spray bottle. It worked like a charm! I sprayed the purse and rubbed it in really good and let it set for about 10-15 minutes. Then I rinsed it off in the sink in hot water with some detergent. My purse looks as good as new, minus the plastic coating.
(08/31/2009)

By Princess20

I sprayed my with oxyclean the laundry spray then smoothed it all over and layed it out in the sun. After 30 min it was obviously lighter. It's still outside with the wallet. I'm going to give it a scrub, rinse, and let the sun bleach it out. The brown straps are fine.

January 6, 2009 Flag

Has anyone ever had yellow stains around the zipper? It just turned yellow, it is a white purse.

February 24, 2011 Flag

How do I clean my Dooney and Bourke purse? It is the type that has all weather material and leather trim.

February 6, 2011 Flag

How can I get tanning oil out of a leather purse? I have a 200 dollar Dooney and Bourke leather purse and spilled tanning oil on it. Anybody know how to get it out?

September 15, 2010 Flag

I would like to know how to clean mold and mildew from several types of Dooney and Bourke purses.

July 12, 2010 Flag

How can I clean a fabric Dooney and Bourke purse?

April 18, 2010 Flag

How do you clean a Dooney and Burke purse?

February 7, 2010 Flag

My bag is a light cream color with black polka dots, and black leather trim. I tried unsuccessfully for a year to get the bag professionally cleaned.

December 7, 2009 Flag

I think my Dooney and Bourke bag was sitting on the wet mat of my car floor and now there is a big stain on the back of it.

Load More
Home and Garden Cleaning MiscellaneousSeptember 9, 2012
Placemat Purse
Making a Placemat Purse
Plarn coin purse.
Plarn Coin Purse
Two baby cradle church purses with Kewpie dolls inside.
Crocheted Baby Cradle Purse
Purse decorated with CDs.
Making a CD Purse
🎉
🎄