Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Finding Free Laptops for Students

Although there are definitely active scams regarding free laptops, there are some legitimate programs through which students and others may qualify for a free laptop. This is a guide about finding free laptops for students.

July 17, 2014 Flag

I read on here about going through free cycle. That doesn't work so well here in Indiana. One place we were able to find a free laptop is through the college classifieds online. It wasn't perfect and it was in Chinese, but it had a good system. I enjoyed learning enough Chinese to learn what control panel was.

Another place you could try is the for sale/free or the computer/electronics sections on craigslist. Definitely be careful, but sometimes you can find someone who just wants to get rid of an old computer.

Overseas, they had a program for students where they could get a solar powered laptop. There was a promotion where the company was raising funds to donate them. Also, as far as special needs, Easter Seals has a program for kids who, after evaluation, can get what they need.

One last note, research writing a grant proposal. I know this sounds bad, but if you can afford a smart phone, you can afford a computer.

Hope this helps.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

then their priorities are not right and the "student" wont be very successful anyways.

January 8, 2016 Flag

I just read about a computer grant you can apply to. I saw it on interconection.org, they also have discount on computers. You all should go check it out and, no, I don't work for them. Thank you!

Link: http://interconnection.org/low-cost-laptops.php

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

That is very interesting. Thank you for sharing this.

July 27, 2016 Flag

I'm trying to go to college online for teaching and early childhood education. I don't have any money to buy a laptop. How can I go about getting one?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I earn a little less than $6000 a year. I cannot afford to buy for my 2 boys for school. Please help.

January 17, 2017 Flag

I am a single mother with a 6 year old boy. His father passed away 2 years ago and I need a laptop to further my education. I have not been able to find a source. Any advice?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Post your need on Facebook, try a pawn shop, post on Craigslist and contact local colleges to see if they can help.

October 26, 2014 Flag

I need a free laptop.

By brentwood

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I need a laptop to go back to school to get my high school diploma and to find a job I have a disability I do not have a lot of money I don't know if you guys can help me

May 23, 2016 Flag

I'm from Jordan and am studying computer science. I really need laptop and I don't have money to buy it. Is there any organization that can help me plz? Thank you.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I found some good links for this, which provide laptops either to students or low income people or disabled people:

http://intercon  cost-laptops.php

This Seattle area store offers $99 Laptops and Discounted Computers, in person or through their online store. To qualify You must show yearly earnings are less than $40,000 or show a EBT card or prove you receive Medicaid, SSI, TANF, GA-U, DSHS support, free or reduced school lunches or a nonprofit EIN number.

http://notebooksforstudents.org/

this one offers student discount laptops

http://info.mar  ers-for-Students

http://oedb.org  e-laptops-ipads/

here are online colleges offering free or nearly free laptops

"Like every promise of a free lunch, or in this case, a free laptop, there are some strings and stipulations attached. The bottom line is that you can t just sign up with an online program for a few weeks to score a free laptop. With many online colleges that offer laptops, you must remain in the program for the full term and graduate to be granted full ownership of your laptop. "

http://www.lowi  income-families/

here's more info: "The rise of free laptops and computers for low income families, students, disabled people and children has become widespread across many organizations. Some of these organizations are national while some of these are also at the state level. "

October 17, 2016 Flag

I am starting school soon and don't have money for a lap top and need help getting. Where can I find help?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Yes i am in college

October 1, 2013 Flag

I am looking for a organization that could assist me in getting a free laptop, for school. The library only gives me two hours a day, that is not giving me enough time. Also the library is closed on the weekend. Please help. Thank you for your time and consideration.

By Candi

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I need a laptop for my studies.

August 6, 2016 Flag

I am stundent doing accounting and finance. Where can I find an organization offered free laptops? I will be pleased to hear from you soon.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

http://intercon  cost-laptops.php

http://notebooksforstudents.org/

http://info.mar  ers-for-Students

http://oedb.org  e-laptops-ipads/

"Like every promise of a free lunch, or in this case, a free laptop, there are some strings and stipulations attached. The bottom line is that you cant just sign up with an online program for a few weeks to score a free laptop. With many online colleges that offer laptops, you must remain in the program for the full term and graduate to be granted full ownership of your laptop. "

http://www.lowi  income-families/

September 30, 2013 Flag

Is there anybody or organisation that could and would help me with a free Laptop PC? I'm a student of a Nigerian university and as such I need a laptop PC for a computer program in school. I'm from a poor home and as such my parents are not able to get me a laptop PC for school. Please I really need help from anybody. Thanks a lot!

By Queenex O.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Try the website freecycle.org ...they have branches all over the world. I got a free laptop from them in Canada.

December 3, 2013 Flag

I am a college student, and really need a laptop for my thesis. I am a 3rd year college student working on a bachelor degree in elementary education.

By Rodel

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

In my experience, people do not write a thesis for a bachelor degree, especially in elementary education. Seems strange to me. How have you gotten into third year without a computer? If you truly do need a laptop, now is the time to get an extra job, and earn the money for it, as stores must need all sorts of extra staff during the holiday season.

August 27, 2014 Flag

How can a homeless student can get a free laptop? My names is Christopher and I am a homeless student and I need a laptop for my college studies. The library is not always open.

By Christopher

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

check out www.freecycle.com you ask for stuff and people give it to you for free...no strings....good luck with your studies!!

February 8, 2011 Flag

I would like to know where to find information (if available) on agencies that give out free laptops to underpriviledged veterans or students. I'm an Iraq Freedom veteran. I'm also currently studying for my RN license.

By Phil from San Juan, PR

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

The Veteran's Hospital in Boston mentioned my husband qualified for a free computer. We see the V.A. Hospital for severe eye problems, and that department keeps a social worker on staff.Could you call and ask to speak with the ombudsman or a social worker for your particular problems? Good luck.

October 4, 2013 Flag

I'm a college student at San Diego State University and my laptop was stolen yesterday. All my homework is online and I can't afford a new one. Can anyone help me out?

By Jetta B

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Borrow a laptop from a friend :) and go to freecycle.com where people in your area give away all kinds of stuff FREE, including laptops.

September 25, 2013 Flag

I can't afford a new laptop at all and I need one that I can get for free. I need it for school.

By Rebecca

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Try freecycle.org

August 30, 2013 Flag

I need a laptop for school and can't get one on my on. Can someone help me find out where to get a laptop?

By Cody

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I would try a rent to own place and you could try joining freecycle.org, http://www.freecycle.org/ or you could try trading something for it, at a computer store and putting it on layaway to pay off the rest of it. Also the libraries usually have computers for their patrons to use and there are internet cafes that charge a small fee for using them. Believe me you save money because if you own a computer you know how expensive it is to keep working properly.

October 27, 2014 Flag

I am a university student. I have to do lot of academic work so definitely I want a laptop for doing that work well. Can you help me find an organization that provides free laptops?

By pemarathana

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Hi, I'm in the same boat! I couldn't find an organization that donates laptops to college students, but I do know that some grants and scholarships cover school supplies as well as tuition. Have you heard of Fastweb? Check it out. You might qualify for more than you think.

Anyways, I would suggest trading with other students. A semester's worth of textbooks you purchase with financial aid can easily exceed the amount of money you would pay for a laptop. So, a student who wants to upgrade his/her laptop has to carve out room in her budget for textbooks first, right? Colleges often have programs available for students who want to make a direct trade. You might look into putting up a note at the student union that specifies your conditions of the trade and includes basic contact information.

You can trade them in for cash at your college or through Amazon if you can't/ don't want to trade with another student. You will not get a full refund for the books. They also have to be in good condition. BUT, if you have a big stack of textbooks hanging around, you might get enough back for them to cover half or more of the cost of a laptop. Save up that money!

January 1, 2014 Flag

I am kindly writing to ask if there is an organisation that can offer me one for free. It doesn't matter even if it's second hand, but it must be a laptop because I really need one for school. I need it so I can finish MU schooling. My parents kicked me out and I barely have enough for rent so I definitely can't afford a laptop.

By Victoria

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Hi - glad you are in school. One of my friend's sons could not afford a laptop but applied for student loans and bought it with some of these funds. Of course you have to pay back the money later but that is the only option many people have.

I have no idea where you live (US or?) but you should go to your school bulletin boards and check with the school office for help and suggestions. Your local churches may also have some suggestions.

May 13, 2014 Flag

I am a student; I need to finish Thsylm. Where can I find an organization that provides a laptop to students?

By Fatemeh from Iran

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 28, 2014 Flag

I am in nurses training college in Ghana and I need a free laptop from either an individual or an organization with which I can improve my research work, since I cannot afford one.
Thank you very much for your precious time.

By Daniel from Accra, Ghana

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 28, 2014 Flag

I am student at Uganda Christian University currently undertaking a bachelors degree in divinity and I am in need of a laptop which will help me to go about with my course work and research work. Even after the courses are complete it will help me to carry on the ministry of God. Which organizations or individuals can provide free laptops to a Bachelor of Divinity student?

By Gideon M. from Mukono, Uganda

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Load More
Better Living Charity AdviceJuly 30, 2013
Colorful Valentine' Day cookies.
Gluten-Free Valentine's Desserts
Scrapbooking
Making Scrapbooks for Your Students
college students
Inexpensive Activities for College Students
Young woman using computer
Finding Free WiFi Connections
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 15, 2017 at 3:17:56 AM on 10.0.1.173 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.