Finding Free or Low Cost Pet Clinics in California

When looking for veterinarian services it helps to find a clinic you can afford. This guide is about finding free or low cost pet clinics in California.

January 4, 2017 Flag

My dog Kachow is a mix of Chihuahua, Dachshund, and Rottweiler. He is 7 1/4 yrs old and for the past few years hes been having problems walking as well as becoming paralyzed for several days each month. It has been getting worse and worse the past few months. The times he's paralyzed are lasting days longer and he is having a harder time walking after each bout of paralysis.

I have also noticed that he is getting meaner after each episode. He has become aggressive as well. He is constantly growling at my service dog every time she moves. If she's anywhere near him, wthin a foot or two, he's actually bitten her and threatens to bite her daily. I have moved my hand, my leg, or foot near him and several times he's bitten me. Any quick movement within his vicinity and he becomes higly agitated and aggressive.

I am on a very fixed income and am barely able to pay my household bills or buy their food for the month. Because of this I have been unable to take him to the vet for further testing. The one time I did take him the vet told me they need to do x-rays and and an MRI to be able to diagnose him correctly as well as treat him further. They also told me that he will be needing to have surgery for the problem if it's what they suspected it is. I was told that the surgery may not even be able to fix the problem completely and that it may not work at all and could possibly paralyze him.

Since then I have been stressing over what to do. I love my Kachow so very much and this situation has me heartbroken. I have finally come to terms with the fact that my baby needs to be relieved of his pain one way or another. So I have decided to put my baby down. My dilemma is that I cannot afford to pay to have the vet do it for me as he charges too much and will not take payments.

I have spoken to the ASPCA here in Fresno, CA and they will not allow me to stay with him when they give him the shot. I refuse to allow them to take him, place him in a cage until they have the staff and time to get around to euthanizing him. Then they will inject him and just leave him to die. I'm sorry, but I have heard the stories about them not giving enough meds to do the job right and how the animals suffer. I cannot have this happen to my baby.

Is there someone or somewhere that I can take him and stay with him when they give him the injection until he's gone. I'm begging. Please can someone help me? I have found only one vet I might b able to come up with the money for. They charge $50. The only thing is I have no way to get there as the vet is in Selma. I am disabled and don't drive. So far I have been unable to come up with the $50 let alone gas money to get there. If anyone can tell me of a free place to have him euthanized or who will allow payments here in Fresno, CA please let me know ASAP.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Please be sure that anyone who loves animals will be touched by your situation but may only be able to offer moral support.

Maybe you could check out this web site - I have heard good things about it (but never used it).

https://www.you … neLJmhoCAH7w_wcB

January 15, 2014 Flag

My male kitty is nearly 2 years old. For about the past six months or so I have been keeping him indoors. He is not neutered. I am going to get him neutered, ASAP, the problem is he is very tricky and an escape artist. He is also one to roam and fight and comes home so beat up. Please do not judge, I love this animal very much and I do my very best to keep him protected.

However, his injuries (mostly lumps deep scratches) literally take him a couple of weeks to heal up and with other people in the home, he has gotten into the last two fights while injured. I think his paw is infected and has something stuck in it. It is swollen and he is limping and will not let me even look.

I am an unemployed single-mom. This is killing me to not be able to take him to the cat clinic and have him mended and medicated, and neutered! My question is: Does anyone know of a vet in the Pasadena, Arcadia, or surrounding San Gabriel Valley who will provide services for a very small amount of cash during first visit. I am willing to make payments, but they won't be much until I am working. Thank you for taking the time to answer, have a nice evening.

By Monique C.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Check with local cat rescues and see what they can offer. Also the Humane Society. Usually it is free or $20. Vets in the PNW offer "Care Credit" where you can charge the procedure and pay it off on time interest free. Many Vets have a fund for needed care for people who cannot pay. Call around and you should be able to find one. Good luck.

June 25, 2016 Flag

I am glad to have found this community. I am hoping someone will able to help me. I'm looking for a vet or a place were I can take loyal friend and companion, my baby girl, Gypsy. She has been with me 13 years and together we have been through many things. She is a miniature American Eskimo and has had issues with her hair falling out, with scabs and a smell. She has severe arthritis and her back legs just don't give anymore. It's so painful. I am having to pick her up carry her outside for her to relieve herself.

She is not active and just wants to sleep. She does not get up to eat sometimes and she is falling down over and over. I can't even cut her nails because of how much it hurts her. The vet I have says as long as they can help the pain they don't believe in putting her down.

Her hair is falling out more and more. I brushed it and it filled half of a trash bag. I love her dearly and I just can't see her like this anymore. I got her when she was 5 weeks old. I live in the San Fernando Valley. Can someone can tell me were they can put her to sleep and take away her pain. It must be for a low income pet owner. I would like to get some of her ashes. I would appreciate any information. I'm so sad, but I would be selfish just giving her medication for pain when in reality I know her health will just degenerate with time. Thank you.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Can you let me know what vet you go too? I need to put my pet down and I just can't afford the high fees.

April 7, 2015 Flag

2 of my dogs got hit yesterday in a hit and run. One died, the other has broken legs. Does anyone know of low cost clinic or a vet that takes payments in Bakersfield California?

By Stacey

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Contact your local humane society or shelter. They offer care but if you cannot pay for it, you will need to surrender your dog. and they will own it and make decisions on its' future. Not a great answer but it does prevent your dog from suffering further.

December 29, 2014 Flag

I need a low cost vet. My dog needs X-rays, but I can't afford much. I love my dog and don't want to cheap out, but I just can't afford hundred dollar X-rays plus additional expenses for whatever might be wrong

By Cindy from Riverside, CA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Things happen. One day your fine the next day you lose your job and your world turns upside down. You don't need to be rude. People go through hardships. Pick on some else.

July 25, 2016 Flag

I need help with my 15 year old dog. His health is declining and I have no money to put him down. I live in Sacramento. He is starting to walk crooked, loosing his eyesight in 1 eye, and he is old. I am the only person working at this time and I have 1 adult and 3 young adults in my home. We love our dog, but I don't want him to suffer. Where can I find assistance to help my pet?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 23, 2015 Flag

Does anyone know where a Pit puppy can be seen here in Stockton California? I believe the dog has a broken back leg/hip injury and it's owner can not afford to take the puppy to a vet hospital. I wrapped it with an ace bandage for now, but the poor thing can't walk. He literally just folds when we tried to stand him on all fours. Thank you for any advice you can share.

Pam for Blu Boy

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Get the puppy to a no kill shelter where it can get help. If not treated right away injuries like the puppy has cannot be helped.

October 19, 2013 Flag

I have a 2 1/2 yr old Pit Bull that is the love of our lives. I just got laid off from my job. I think she has a foxtail in her nose or something. She has no energy and is sneezing a lot. Her nose keeps running and she is really hot. We had to move and barely covered our rent. Normally I could afford a down payment, but this had to happen after getting laid off. Help! I am single mom in Modesto.

By Tracy

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Try calling your local ASPCA and explain your predicament. Ask if they can recommend someone who will help.

March 12, 2015 Flag

I'm living in my van and can't afford much, but am willing to pay some amount. My dog needs 2 molars removed.

By Pat from Gilroy, CA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Very difficult as Vets have to pay their bills also. You can call the local vets in the Gilroy and San Jose areas to find possibilities. Also, VIP Pet Care has a clinic in San Jose that offers walk in services inside a Pet Food Express store. They will examine, give shots, etc., but do not handle dental problems. You can call them to see if they can make a recommendation in the area.

800.427.7973.

August 25, 2016 Flag

I have a 6 month old German Shephard puppy I got off Craigs list. Her back leg is bothering her. I need it x-rayed, but I am on a fixed budget and money is very tight. I live in the San Jose area. I am a senior also. Is there anywhere I can go?

Thanks for your help.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 11, 2011 Flag

I desperately need to find a free or very low-cost veterinary clinic to take my 5 month old female cat to. She's suffering from ear mites, needs all of her vaccinations, and needs to be spayed! Any suggestions where I can take her in the Sacramento, California 95821 area?

By S.W.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Wow, if every person that couldn't afford expensive vet fees got rid of their animals there would be 100x the amount of animals that get euthanized. Think before you speak

September 10, 2013 Flag

My dog needs surgery. She broke her front leg Sunday and I need a specialist according to the vet I took her to. I need a low cost specialist. Does anyone know where I can find one ASAP? Do you know if the specialist surgeon will let you make payments?

By Stephanie

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Your vet can refer you to a specialist and you can discuss payment arrangements with the specialist's office.

January 5, 2013 Flag

I have a dog that needs surgery. She has a tumor. I wonder where I can take her. Does anyone know of a low cost clinic that I can go to? I can't afford to pay much. Thanks.

By Hugo from San Fernando Valley, CA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Don't just go to low cost Vet. Some are what you would call a butcher. Your dog could have more problems afterwards. Then you would have to go through more surgeries to correct. Please check out the Vet's background first.

March 17, 2015 Flag

I need to find a vet who will accept payments or a free clinic for a life threating surgery. My smooth Chihuahua has a herniatic cyst and it's getting bigger by the day. Last year I rescued her after she was mauled by a Pit Bull. I luv her so much and don't want her to die. Please help me find a vet. The places I've called won't help due to my credit. I'm in Stockton California 95205.

By Martha

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Try your humane society to find low cost Vets. Local dog rescues can sometimes help. get creative maybe a local Vet would barter with you, you could trade cleaning chores for Vet work. Consider a second job. My local Vet has a jar on his counter for contributions for Vet care for folks that have hit a rough patch. Get on the phone and good luck.

April 28, 2014 Flag

My Pekinese, Mojo it seems has to have 3 teeth pulled. Went to a new vet and was told this procedure was about $650. I can't afford this since I'm on medical disability, was laid-off as director 6 yrs ago. My two dogs are the only precious creatures that keep my physical pain in check. Please offer suggestions, referrals, or ideas. Thanks

By Chris P.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Call your humane society. Many offer low cost services. Check with different local Vets. Some have funds for this kind of thing. Many offer "care credit" a no interest loan that you can pay off in installments. Some Vets take payments. Also check with local dog rescues. They often know of low cost Vet care. Nearly any dental work will be in the $500 range at full price. Good luck!

January 25, 2014 Flag

My dog needs medical attention ASAP. I don't have money at the moment I spend my last 135$ on getting my dog a shot for his seizures.

By Angie from Panorama

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Contact your local Humane Societies. They usually have programs that help loving owners keep their pets. The website for my local humane society lists several clinics as well as some organizations that can help provide financial assistance to low income families in need of veterinary care.

January 5, 2014 Flag

Where is a low cost or free pet clinic?

By Marina

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Check your local Humane Society's Website. They usually have a list.

July 1, 2013 Flag

Does anyone know of a low cost or free vet near Rosemead, California, 91770? I recently picked a cat up off the streets and I have taken him in and today I noticed that his paw is broken. I am a single mother of 5.

By Mary

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Hello...

How nice of you to take care of this precious fur-baby. Please go to your local shelter/Veterinarians and ask them how much it wll cost to treat him/her. This cat needs to have treatment ASAP. Having a broken paw is VERY painful and he will not be able to walk on it very long. Also, it might just be a sprain but an X-Ray will tell you. Either way, this cat needs to be seen by a Veterinarian for treatmernt. Good luck

December 25, 2012 Flag

I just brought my cat to the motel were I live. I'm homeless. He is 16 years old. He has been very aggressive with the other cats and even with me. I pick him up and he growls. He sits on the bed and he makes a sound like he is in pain. He eats, but hasn't used the litter box. It's been 4 days. I can't afford a vet, so I'm looking for one who is low cost or even free to have him checked in Gilroy California.

By ROYALDIGNITYSOTO from Gilroy, CA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If your cat isnt using the litterbox, and appears to be in pain, his bladder may be blocked. This is a life threatening emergency. Death often follows within 48 hours of a stone blocking the bladder. Your cat needs to see a Vet immediately. He can be saved, but not if you dont act immediately. You may be able to find a local animal shelter with lower rates, or a Vet with a fund for helping folks in your situation. But you need to do it right now. Best of luck to you and your cat. Let us know how things work out for you.

January 19, 2010 Flag

My pet may have broken his leg. Where is there a low cost/no cost vet?

By Jimmy from Riverside, CA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I don't know what the charges would be, BUT the finest vet I ever used was Michael Butchko in Rubidoux. He was my go-to vet for over 15 years. I really wish I lived closer now so that I could use him. Have you spoken to anyone about taking payments? Good luck on that!

Load More
Pets HealthMay 6, 2013
Minnesota
Finding Free or Low Cost Pet Clinics in Minnesota
A cat with an empty food dish.
Free Pet Food for Low Income Families
A happy veterinarian holding a dog and a cat.
Finding Free or Low Cost Pet Clinics in New York
Legoland California
California Frugal Travel Guide
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 29, 2017 at 9:28:03 PM on 10.0.2.254 in 8 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.