Finding Replacement Gaskets for Glass Canister

It can be difficult to find the right sized gasket for an older glass container. This guide is about finding replacement gaskets for glass canister.

October 9, 2008 Flag

I bought a glass cookie jar that sits on it's side with a wooden lid. The lid has no gasket to fit tight to the jar. Does anyone know where I could get one? I have tried Google and haven't found what I'm looking for yet. Would silicone work on the lid to make a tight fit? I'm hoping someone can help me, I really like the jar. Thanks so much.

Joyce from Coffeyville, Kansas

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I have two things to suggest. The first is a large, thick rubber band wrapped around the area of the lid that would normally be covered by a gasket. The second is to run a thick band of hot glue in that area to mimick a gasket.

Best Answer

I would use silicone caulk, but I would put it between two sheets of waxed paper or something. Then I would trim it to fit with scissors. Try looking on eBay first, because there are still manufacturers of those gaskets making them.

Best Answer

I had a thought of this today after reading this post a couple days ago: Wrap Saran wrap or other similar plastic wrap tightly around the inner part of the lid where the seal is missing.

.

Tear off a piece long enough to go around that part of the jar at least one time & twist it starting at a corner very tightly until it is all twisted & secure it. Which ever of the tips by readers work for you, it would be interesting to know!

December 29, 2014 Flag

I can't figure out how to measure for the replacements. The inner opening of the jar not the lid is 3 1/4" diameter approximately. The replacements I see say they are 2 3/4" inner diameter.

By Amy

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Take your jar and go to a automotive seals and bearing supply,and they will fit them on the spot, but they're black rubber .or look up polyeurathane belting on nt select right use and diameter buy by the length and join perfect seals using their instructions easy peasy

Those would be the right size for your jars.

June 28, 2015 Flag

I am looking for replacement rubber seals for these Goodwood brand cookie jars from the 1980s.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If you can't find their website, you may have to use those tough purple veggie rubber bands. I hope that helps. PBP

If you cannot find the actual gaskets, try using elastic headbands, which are about1/2inch wide, and can be found in the hair care section. You could cut it to length, and glue the cut ends together. Perhaps you may find a size that will fit without cutting. I bought a pack of these to use to hold the plastic garbage bags in my kitchen trash and they work well.

October 28, 2014 Flag

I need replacement gaskets for my glass canisters. The gaskets measure 3 5/8" inside diameter
. Do you know where I can get these?

By Joyce H

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If you get any answers would you be kind enough to post on here, thank you (I need some, too).

I ordered mine from Fantes Kitchen Wares-I found them online about 2 years ago. The shipment arrived fast and I was very satisfied with the rubber gaskets.

looking for a canister gasket - inside diameter 3 5/8"

March 26, 2015 Flag

I have a glass cookie jar with a glass lid. There is no gasket or other way to "seal" the lid and keep the cookies fresher. I need a rubber/silicone gasket 5-1/2" interior size.

By Jo C

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Could you wrap a wide large rubber band or several narrow ones around either the lid or the top of the jar to act as a seal?

Hey Joe!

I have that same 5.5 casket situation! Did you ever find a match? We love the Glass and Wood!

Would love it if during the year you find some resource!

September 29, 2015 Flag

I am trying to figure out the proper size replacement rubber seal for a 1/4L jar? I just bought a used jar and the rubber seal is basically dried out. Thank you in advance.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If you kept it just make a template of it or keep it intact in a zip lock baggie and take it to the store. Easy Peasy!!

July 4, 2015 Flag

I have several drug store style apothecary jars of various sizes and differing lid sizes as well. I would love to use them as canisters, but cannot find the proper gaskets for them. One of them had the black "tab". Any suggestions, besides rubber bands would help.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

A very easy online search for "glass jar gaskets" produced many replies. You can try a search yourself or Amazon has many sources for various gasket sizes.

March 21, 2013 Flag

I'm looking for seals for my glass canisters. I need 3 1/2 inch in size. Where can I find some?

By Tonya Y from Joshua, TX

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

The best places would be thrift stores or garage sales. Sometimes you find more that you expect for very little money.

I found several listings at Amazon.com when I Googled "gaskets for glass canisters". Good luck!

My Ace Hardware reliably has them! If not there, then Sur la Table, but they're bound to be more expensive there.

April 18, 2015 Flag

Where can I get a clear, silicone gasket for a 5 inch food canister? I can find the canister and the gasket, but I just need the gasket.

By Paul

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I live in the Pacific Northwest and have seen gaskets only at McLendons Hardware. A web search turned up many suppliers.

April 5, 2015 Flag

It is flat, 3.5" inside, 5" outside. Anyone know where I can find a kitchen canister gasket like that?

By Donald

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 17, 2015 Flag

I purchased an extra large Meloni jar minus the seal for air tightness. Any idea where this can be purchased?

By Cheryl N

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 28, 2015 Flag

The gasket measures 2 7/8" inside and 3 7/8" outside with a small lift tab. How or where can I get a replacement?

By Connie R

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

December 22, 2014 Flag

I am looking for a replacement 3.5 inch round glass jar lid with gasket only for my ice tea glass jar dispenser with spigot. I measured the round inner jar top dimensions. I live in NYC or website locations would also be good. Thank You!

By Owen

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Repair Other DishesMarch 24, 2013
Star shaped glass candle holder.
Cleaning Candle Wax from Glass
An electrical cord plugged into an outlet.
Finding Replacement Cords for Electronics
Woman in Green Shirt Cleaning Glass with Squeege
Cleaning Sliding Glass Doors
glass coffee table
Repairing a Coffee Table With Missing Glass
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 19, 2017 at 4:15:05 AM on 10.0.0.16 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.