Finding Replacement Gaskets for Glass Canister

It can be difficult to find the right sized gasket for an older glass container. This guide is about finding replacement gaskets for glass canister.

glass canister and gasket
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

I bought a glass cookie jar that sits on it's side with a wooden lid. The lid has no gasket to fit tight to the jar. Does anyone know where I could get one? I have tried Google and haven't found what I'm looking for yet. Would silicone work on the lid to make a tight fit? I'm hoping someone can help me, I really like the jar. Thanks so much.

Joyce from Coffeyville, Kansas

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I have two things to suggest. The first is a large, thick rubber band wrapped around the area of the lid that would normally be covered by a gasket. The second is to run a thick band of hot glue in that area to mimick a gasket.

Best Answer

I would use silicone caulk, but I would put it between two sheets of waxed paper or something. Then I would trim it to fit with scissors. Try looking on eBay first, because there are still manufacturers of those gaskets making them.

Best Answer

I had a thought of this today after reading this post a couple days ago: Wrap Saran wrap or other similar plastic wrap tightly around the inner part of the lid where the seal is missing.

.

Tear off a piece long enough to go around that part of the jar at least one time & twist it starting at a corner very tightly until it is all twisted & secure it. Which ever of the tips by readers work for you, it would be interesting to know!

Read More Answers...

I am looking for replacement rubber seals for these Goodwood brand cookie jars from the 1980s.

glass cookie jar with wood lid
    AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If you cannot find the actual gaskets, try using elastic headbands, which are about1/2inch wide, and can be found in the hair care section. You could cut it to length, and glue the cut ends together. Perhaps you may find a size that will fit without cutting. I bought a pack of these to use to hold the plastic garbage bags in my kitchen trash and they work well.

Read More Answers...

I am trying to figure out the proper size replacement rubber seal for a 1/4L jar? I just bought a used jar and the rubber seal is basically dried out. Thank you in advance.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If you kept it just make a template of it or keep it intact in a zip lock baggie and take it to the store. Easy Peasy!!

I need replacement gaskets for my glass canisters. The gaskets measure 3 5/8" inside diameter
      . Do you know where I can get these?

By Joyce H

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

looking for a canister gasket - inside diameter 3 5/8"

Read More Answers...

I have several drug store style apothecary jars of various sizes and differing lid sizes as well. I would love to use them as canisters, but cannot find the proper gaskets for them. One of them had the black "tab". Any suggestions, besides rubber bands would help.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

A very easy online search for "glass jar gaskets" produced many replies. You can try a search yourself or Amazon has many sources for various gasket sizes.

Where can I get a clear, silicone gasket for a 5 inch food canister? I can find the canister and the gasket, but I just need the gasket.

By Paul

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I live in the Pacific Northwest and have seen gaskets only at McLendons Hardware. A web search turned up many suppliers.

I have a glass cookie jar with a glass lid. There is no gasket or other way to "seal" the lid and keep the cookies fresher. I need a rubber/silicone gasket 5-1/2" interior size.

By Jo C

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Could you wrap a wide large rubber band or several narrow ones around either the lid or the top of the jar to act as a seal?

Glass canisters in rack.I'm looking for seals for my glass canisters. I need 3 1/2 inch in size. Where can I find some?

By Tonya Y from Joshua, TX

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My Ace Hardware reliably has them! If not there, then Sur la Table, but they're bound to be more expensive there.

Read More Answers...

I can't figure out how to measure for the replacements. The inner opening of the jar not the lid is 3 1/4" diameter approximately. The replacements I see say they are 2 3/4" inner diameter.

By Amy

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Those would be the right size for your jars.

Home and Garden Repair Other DishesMarch 24, 2013
        Star shaped glass candle holder.
        Cleaning Candle Wax from Glass
        An electrical cord plugged into an outlet.
        Finding Replacement Cords for Electronics
        Woman in Green Shirt Cleaning Glass with Squeege
        Cleaning Sliding Glass Doors
        glass coffee table
        Repairing a Coffee Table With Missing Glass
        © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on April 30, 2016 at 6:10:32 PM on 10.0.0.37 in 296 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.