Finding the Value of Encyclopedia Britannica Encyclopedias

Category Books
Sets of these often updated reference books are not as useful as they used to be, since the advent of the computer. This guide is about finding the value of Encyclopedia Britannica encyclopedias.

Hi, for everyone asking questions as to the value of Encyclopaedia Britannica sets, the basic guideline is that the 1st up until the 8th Editions have great collector values, defined by condition. The 9th and 10th Editions are so numerous that they are of small value; up to maybe $3-500 in good condition. Anything after the 11th, 12th, 13th (1910-1928) is basically worthless.

I have a revised set of the 9th brittanica by paul E Werner and saalfield.from 1908 to 1909 the James Baldwin systematic reading is dated 1910 and has G.A sigel as the new reviser.I looked up the history and fount that year the Werner company went against brittanica leaving the Werner company out of business.and in able to make or sell there revised set.I have 24 volumes of 25 would I be able to publish these since I believe I have the only set

How can I tell how old a set of three Britannica encyclopedias are? They're a set of three, volumes 1, 2, and 3.

You should be able to look at the publication page and find the last year of publication (not the copyright year).

is this what you are asking about?

I have a 15th edition Encyclopedia Britannica, heritage edition. How much are they worth? Will/could they increase in value in the future?

it seems there are hundreds of thousands of people with old encyclopedias, my roommate included. trust me,get rid of them because they are worth nothing and probably have more bugs and mold in them than anything else

I have most of the Britannica encyclopedias and I wanted to know if they are worth keeping or if I should invest in newer ones with more up to date information in them.

Sad to say, they are not worth much unless they are over 100 years old. Get accurate information from the internet.

I have an almost complete set of the 1875 edition of the Encyclopedia Britannica. How little/much is it worth, in reasonable condition for its age? Many thanks.

It is over 100 years old, which is considered an antique. I'm sure it is worth something, although not as much as if it had been a complete set. Take it to several dealers for their opinion.

I have a set of Brittanica Macropaedia/Encyclopaedia, Volume 5. I need to know what to do with it. Please advise.

Many people have old books they think are valuable and would like to sell. Most old dictionaries, references etc., have very little value, a few dollars at most. Encyclopedias dated after 1923 are essentially worthless but crafters may be interested for the old pictures. Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc., receive donations of tons of old encyclopedias, dictionaries and reference books but send them to recycling centers or dumps as they cannot use or sell them.

You can check online for old book collectors, on EBay, Craigs List and other retail sites for possibilities. Everything is now online and updated constantly so old books are just that-old.

I have volume 13 of a set Encyclopedia Britannica, copyright 1948. It is in n perfect condition. What would it be worth?

Best Answer

Many people have old books they think are valuable and would like to sell. Most old dictionaries, references etc., have very little value-a few dollars at most. Encyclopedias dated after 1923 are essentially worthless but crafters may be interested for the old pictures. Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc., receive donations of tons of old encyclopedias but send them to recycling centers or dumps as they cannot use or sell them.

Where can I obtain a 1797 Encyclopedia Britannica?

Hi. I have them.07404013962

Haimraul@gmail.com

I have a set of Encyclopedia Britannica 1768 that is in its own little bookcase. How much is it worth? On the top of the bookcase is a much larger book that fits into its own notch.

My husband auctions part time. sadly, most books are not worth much, and often get thrown away at the end of auctions due to no one bidding on them, or if they get added into another lot, the purchaser throws them away rather than haul them home.

This set of Encyclopedia Britannica was updated and republished in 1979, by International Encyclopedia Britannica Inc. Library of Congress card no. 77-94292. It is a set of 30 volumes. They are all leather bound. I am looking for a price or cost of such a set. Is this set of any value anymore? Otherwise I will donate it to any organization that wants them. Thanks.

If your set is indeed leather bound then previous comments may not apply as some of these sets still sell for a fair chunk of money. You can check further with your exact description - these sets may bring more money, but - most do not sell overnight and are very difficult to ship when/if sold.

Here are a few sets now listed on eBay that are similar to yours:

http://www.ebay  her&_sacat=0

Here is a list of sets that recently sold so this is a better idea of the real value:

http://www.ebay  d=p2045573.m1684

I have a complete set of encyclopedias and micropedias with dictionaries from the late 1980s. I am just wondering what they could be worth. Unfortunately they are just sitting in a box collecting dust.
Thank you.

My husband is an auctioneer part time. Most old books have no value. People don't even bid on them at auction.

I have a set of Encyclopedia Britannica 1768, I have all but 2 books in the set, which are 18 and 19. Are they worth anything?

By Meredith

Best Answer

Because these books are so old, I would contact an antique book dealer in your local area. They can give you a good assessment based on the rarity and condition of the books. Most encyclopedias and other reference books are not worth anything at all, unless they are from before 1840.

I am just wondering how much a set of 1969 Encyclopedia Britannica 23 volumes, white in color is worth. I saw it on eBay for $899 and wondering if it is accurate.

Thanks.

Oh oops, you are right. That is a typo. I meant 26. Thank you!

I have a complete set of the 1960 Children's Britannica in decent condition. What is the ball park figure in terms of value and the best way to sell if I decide to?
Thanks.

You will be lucky to get $20 for the whole set. I have seen encyclopedias for sale at garage sales and they are practically given away. They make nice references for some things but a lot of the info is outdated and with computers so handy as a source of info, no one wants the books.

What would the value of a 1891 set of encyclopedia Britannica be in mint condition?

I have a mint condition 1890 set, which I want sell. What is it worth please?

Tim carter

I have an Encyclopaedia Britannica published in 1963. It also has a complementary bible and two year books as added extras. It is in its original bookcase. Is it worth any money or collecting?

By J. Scott

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Anonymous

I have Britannica encyclopedia volume 1-24, additional volumes of year 1961-1967 all in the original cabinet. How much is it worth?

I have two sets of Encyclopedia Britannica. One set is more than 55 years old, and the other is 20 years.

Many people have old books they think are valuable and would like to sell. Most old dictionaries, references etc., have very little value-a few dollars at most. Encyclopedias dated after 1923 are essentially worthless but crafters may be interested for the old pictures. Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc., receive donations of tons of old encyclopedias and reference books but send them to recycling centers or dumps as they cannot use or sell them.

You can check online for old book collectors, on EBay, Craigslist and other retail sites for possibilities. Everything is now online and updated constantly so old books are just that-old.

What's the value of a 1990 set of encyclopedia Britannica?

By Alicia from St. Croix, VI

Best Answer

You can check online for old book collectors for price possibilities. Everything is now online and updated constantly so old books are just that-old.

I inherited a set of Britannica Micropaedia (1-12) and Macropaedia (13-29) plus annual volume, Guide Book and indexes of A-K and L-Z. I is a fifteenth edition printed in 1985 in U.S.A. The Library of Congress catalog card number is 83-83118 and the International Standard book number is 0-85229-423-9. Can anyone help me to assess it's market value to date? Thank you.

How can I find the value of a set of leather bound Encyclopedia Britannica from 1903?

Reply

I have a set of platinum edition Encyclopedia Britannica. It is set number 26062. I am wondering if they are worth anything? They are in excellent condition.

*

I have a complete set of the 14th Edition, 24 volumes, published in 1936 in good/excellent condition. Is this worth anything?

This site says they are worth around $125. http://www.ebay  h=item282870a1f4

The market for old books is not great thanks to the internet, but there are still folks who value these. I would expect you could get at least that for them, eventually.

I have about 30 Volumes of the New Werner Edition Encyclopedia Britannica - with Revised American Supplement 1900. It has a light brown leather cover - in very good condition. Any idea of value?
Thanks.

I have seen listings for this at around $200, which is what i would expect for this sort of thing

https://www.ama  nt/dp/B0054GPYZ6

I would like to know if my Encyclopedia Britannica 15th Edition printed in the USA in 1979, in good condition and complete is worth something? Thank you.

How much is a set of Britannica Encyclopedias published in 1989 worth? Where can I sell them for a good price?

By Charlene

Best Answer

Old encyclopedias have no value. You will be hard pressed to give them away. Charities and Thrift shops will not take them. No one wants them. If you are lucky, you could advertise them on something like Freecycle, and perhaps you might find someone who wants them for crafts. I have seen people make sculptures or lamps out of them. You will never sell them.

Load More