Finding the Value of Encyclopedia Britannica Encyclopedias

Sets of these often updated reference books are not as useful as they used to be, since the advent of the computer. This guide is about finding the value of Encyclopedia Britannica encyclopedias.

December 2, 2014 Flag

Hi, for everyone asking questions as to the value of Encyclopaedia Britannica sets, the basic guideline is that the 1st up until the 8th Editions have great collector values, defined by condition. The 9th and 10th Editions are so numerous that they are of small value; up to maybe $3-500 in good condition. Anything after the 11th, 12th, 13th (1910-1928) is basically worthless.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Where do I find it

January 20, 2017 Flag

This set of Encyclopedia Britannica was updated and republished in 1979, by International Encyclopedia Britannica Inc. Library of Congress card no. 77-94292. It is a set of 30 volumes. They are all leather bound. I am looking for a price or cost of such a set. Is this set of any value anymore? Otherwise I will donate it to any organization that wants them. Thanks.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If your set is indeed leather bound then previous comments may not apply as some of these sets still sell for a fair chunk of money. You can check further with your exact description - these sets may bring more money, but - most do not sell overnight and are very difficult to ship when/if sold.

Here are a few sets now listed on eBay that are similar to yours:

http://www.ebay  her&_sacat=0

Here is a list of sets that recently sold so this is a better idea of the real value:

http://www.ebay  d=p2045573.m1684

January 5, 2017 Flag

I have a set of Encyclopedia Britannica 1768 that is in its own little bookcase. How much is it worth? On the top of the bookcase is a much larger book that fits into its own notch.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My husband auctions part time. sadly, most books are not worth much, and often get thrown away at the end of auctions due to no one bidding on them, or if they get added into another lot, the purchaser throws them away rather than haul them home.

December 15, 2016 Flag

I have a complete set of encyclopedias and micropedias with dictionaries from the late 1980s. I am just wondering what they could be worth. Unfortunately they are just sitting in a box collecting dust.
Thank you.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My husband is an auctioneer part time. Most old books have no value. People don't even bid on them at auction.

December 29, 2016 Flag

Where can I obtain a 1797 Encyclopedia Britannica?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If you were to find this edition, I feel sure it would be selling for quite a large sum of money.

You can find most of what is in the set on Wikipedia if information is what you are after.

There are always auction sites to check out ---

November 28, 2016 Flag

I have a complete set of the 1960 Children's Britannica in decent condition. What is the ball park figure in terms of value and the best way to sell if I decide to?
Thanks.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You will be lucky to get $20 for the whole set. I have seen encyclopedias for sale at garage sales and they are practically given away. They make nice references for some things but a lot of the info is outdated and with computers so handy as a source of info, no one wants the books.

September 12, 2016 Flag

What would the value of a 1891 set of encyclopedia Britannica be in mint condition?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have a mint condition 1890 set, which I want sell. What is it worth please?

Tim carter

May 20, 2016 Flag

I am just wondering how much a set of 1969 Encyclopedia Britannica 23 volumes, white in color is worth. I saw it on eBay for $899 and wondering if it is accurate.

Thanks.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Oh oops, you are right. That is a typo. I meant 26. Thank you!

October 5, 2014 Flag

I have a set of Encyclopedia Britannica 1768, I have all but 2 books in the set, which are 18 and 19. Are they worth anything?

By Meredith

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Because these books are so old, I would contact an antique book dealer in your local area. They can give you a good assessment based on the rarity and condition of the books. Most encyclopedias and other reference books are not worth anything at all, unless they are from before 1840.

August 31, 2016 Flag

I have two sets of Encyclopedia Britannica. One set is more than 55 years old, and the other is 20 years.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Many people have old books they think are valuable and would like to sell. Most old dictionaries, references etc., have very little value-a few dollars at most. Encyclopedias dated after 1923 are essentially worthless but crafters may be interested for the old pictures. Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc., receive donations of tons of old encyclopedias and reference books but send them to recycling centers or dumps as they cannot use or sell them.

You can check online for old book collectors, on EBay, Craigslist and other retail sites for possibilities. Everything is now online and updated constantly so old books are just that-old.

November 30, 2015 Flag

I have volume 13 of a set Encyclopedia Britannica, copyright 1948. It is in n perfect condition. What would it be worth?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Many people have old books they think are valuable and would like to sell. Most old dictionaries, references etc., have very little value-a few dollars at most. Encyclopedias dated after 1923 are essentially worthless but crafters may be interested for the old pictures. Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc., receive donations of tons of old encyclopedias but send them to recycling centers or dumps as they cannot use or sell them.

October 22, 2016 Flag

I have a set of platinum edition Encyclopedia Britannica. It is set number 26062. I am wondering if they are worth anything? They are in excellent condition.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Many people have old books they think are valuable and would like to sell. Most old dictionaries, references etc., have very little value, a few dollars at most. Encyclopedias dated after 1923 are essentially worthless but crafters may be interested for the old pictures. Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc., receive donations of tons of old encyclopedias, dictionaries and reference books but send them to recycling centers or dumps as they cannot use or sell them.

You can check online for old book collectors, on EBay, Craigs List and other retail sites for possibilities. Everything is now online and updated constantly so old books are just that-old.

*

July 19, 2016 Flag

I inherited a set of Britannica Micropaedia (1-12) and Macropaedia (13-29) plus annual volume, Guide Book and indexes of A-K and L-Z. I is a fifteenth edition printed in 1985 in U.S.A. The Library of Congress catalog card number is 83-83118 and the International Standard book number is 0-85229-423-9. Can anyone help me to assess it's market value to date? Thank you.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 15, 2016 Flag

How can I find the value of a set of leather bound Encyclopedia Britannica from 1903?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Reply

September 21, 2016 Flag

I would like to know if my Encyclopedia Britannica 15th Edition printed in the USA in 1979, in good condition and complete is worth something? Thank you.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 6, 2015 Flag

What's the value of a 1990 set of encyclopedia Britannica?

By Alicia from St. Croix, VI

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

You can check online for old book collectors for price possibilities. Everything is now online and updated constantly so old books are just that-old.

August 15, 2016 Flag

What is the value of a 1954 set of 15 volumes of the Encyclopedia Britannica Junior in good condition?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 4, 2016 Flag

I am wondering how much The New Encyclopaedia Britannica Volume 7, Founded 1768 15th edition is worth.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 30, 2013 Flag

I have an Encyclopaedia Britannica published in 1963. It also has a complementary bible and two year books as added extras. It is in its original bookcase. Is it worth any money or collecting?

By J. Scott

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have Britannica encyclopedia volume 1-24, additional volumes of year 1961-1967 all in the original cabinet. How much is it worth?

Load More
Consumer Advice Collectibles BooksJune 29, 2013
Grolier's Book of Knowledge
Finding the Value of Grolier's Book of Knowledge Encyclopedias
Stack of very old encyclopedias.
Finding the Value of Old Encyclopedia Sets
Old Encyclopedias on Shelf
Finding the Value of Old Reference Books
Compton's Encyclopedias
Finding the Value of Compton's Encyclopedias
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 23, 2017 at 1:54:58 PM on 10.0.2.237 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.