Freezer Jam Tips and Recipes

Category Jam & Jelly
Freezer Jam
The freshest fruit flavor can be achieved with freezer jam, but it can be a challenge to get the consistency you want. This page contains freezer jam tips and recipes.

There have been a couple of people asking this month about freezer jam and jelly, or easy in general jam and jelly recipes. So I thought this link would be a good share with the entire ThriftyFun Family for easy reference.

Download PDF File from Purdue University: Uncooked Jams

By Deeli from Richland, WA

Top Comment

I looove freezer jam. Especially Raspberry. The taste is so much fresher and the color is so vibrant compared to cooked jam or store bought jam. Very quick and easy to make. And it doesn't heat up the house making it on a hot summer day. I use the recipe that comes in the 'Sure Jell' pectin box.

Freezer jam is fast and easy to make. You don't cook anything, so the fruit tastes fresh and wonderful. It requires much less sugar, which is a big plus. It's very delicious and very pretty.

• 2 1/2 cups peeled, crushed, very ripe peaches
  • 1 cup crushed raspberries (I use frozen, unsweetened ones)
  • 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 1 packet pectin for low/no sugar recipes

Directions:

1. Drop the peaches in boiling water for about 30 seconds, then remove and put in cold water. The skin should rub off easily.

2. Remove the pit, and chop the fruit very fine. Put in a medium bowl and crush. You can use your hands, or a potato masher. You want small chunks of fruit, so don't puree.

3. Thaw the berries and crush them. Mix the peaches, berries, and lemon juice.

4. In another bowl, mix the sugar and the pectin thoroughly. Stir this into the fruit until completely dissolved, about 3 minutes.

5. Ladle into 8 ounce, plastic freezer jars, put on the lids, and let it sit for about an hour. Then freeze. It will keep in the freezer for at least a year, but it's so good, I bet it will be gone well before a year.

Source: The Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving.

By Copasetic 1 from North Royalton, OH

My husband and I went to a farm not far from where we live and picked blackberries for about an hour. As youngsters we both remember picking wild berries with our family on the side of the road. We had to deal with thorns and snakes. It was a joy picking berries at this farm and not having to worry about those situations. The bushes are planted in rows and most are thorn-less.

Once we ate our fill of the berries we made freezer jam. Freezer jam is so good and so easy to do. We made three batches of pure blackberry jam and then we had enough berries for only a half of a batch. So we mixed those berries with strawberries. Yum! Yum! Very good!

Here are directions and information on making the freezer jam: You need to get the small jars especially for freezer jam because the jam needs to be eaten pretty quickly after it's taken out of the freezer. You can get the jars at Wal Mart or even the grocery store.

What is so nice about freezer jam is that you don't have to worry about the jars sealing. And since you don't cook the fruit, I think you get more of a fresh fruit flavor.

Making Freezer Jam

Blackberries, strawberries, and raspberries work well in uncooked freezer jam recipes. You must store uncooked jams in the refrigerator or freezer. You can hold them for several weeks in a refrigerator, and up to a year in the freezer.

If you keep them at room temperature they will mold or ferment in a short time. Once you open the container, keep refrigerated and use the jam within a few days, no longer than three weeks.

Sort and wash fully ripe fruit. Drain. Remove caps and stems from berries and crush.

The basic recipe for uncooked jam is:

• 3 cups crushed berries (about one and 1/2 quarts of berries)
  • 5 cups sugar
  • 1 package powdered pectin (Sure Jell)
  • 1 cup cold water

To Make the Jam

Measure three cups of prepared fruit into a large mixing bowl. Add the sugar, mix well, and let stand for 20 minutes. Stir occasionally.

Dissolve the Sure Jell in one cup cold water in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Boil for one minute. Add pectin solution to the fruit and sugar mixture. Stir vigorously for two minutes.

Pour the jam into clean freezer containers or canning jars, leaving one-half inch head-space. Cover the containers and let stand for 24 hours, or until the jam has set and become firm. This quantity makes about seven or eight half-pint jars or freezer containers. When jam comes out of the freezer, thaw overnight in the refrigerator. Enjoy!

*DO NOT puree the berries. They need to be crushed or they will be too "juicy".*

By Margaret from Denton, Texas

Strawberries are coming into season and they are at a very affordable price. Here is a great recipe I love for strawberries. Freezer jam is so easy and you don't even have to cook it!

Ingredients

• 1 quart strawberries
  • 4 cups sugar
  • 1 pouch fruit pectin (like Certo or Sure-Jell)
  • 2 Tbsp. lemon juice

Directions

Stem and crush strawberries thoroughly. Place 2 cups fruit in large bowl and stir in sugar. Let stand 10 min., stirring occasionally.

Stir together pectin and lemon juice. Add to strawberry mixture; stir until sugar is dissolved.

Place in containers leaving 1/2 inch headspace; cover. Let stand at room temp for 24 hours.

Can be frozen for up to 1 year.

Makes about 4 1-cup containers

By Bobbie G from Rockwall, TX

Stir together:

Ingredients

Directions

Let stand until sugar dissolves. Boil over medium heat for 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in 1-3oz. box of strawberry Jello. Stir until Jello dissolves.

Cool. Pour into containers and freeze until ready to use. After thawing, store in fridge.

By Robin from Washington, IA

I tried making peach freezer jam and followed the instructions to a T. It is almost finished sitting out for 24 hours and it looks like it may not be quite thick enough. It looks a bit watery. Any ideas as to why?

By Sandi from IL

Best Answer

Sorry I don't know the answer to your question but this link below has a lot of info re: jams & jellies and the science behind them. There is also a recipe near the bottom on re-making freezer jam from a failed batch. I didnt know you could do that.

http://www.home  g_jam_and_jelly/

We always make raspberry freezer jam and once I had it turn out not quite as gelled but gelled enough. It of course will be firmer in the fridge and even firmer in the freezer. We always keep ours in the freezer and often I forget to take it out a few minutes early and actually like it on sandwiches when it is frozen.

Or you could use it on pancakes or Dutch Babies in place of syrup.

Best Answer

Thanks Kaelle for that site info. I went there and I may try to remake the jam if it doesn't seem to get gelled enough after putting it in the fridge.

I am now wondering if the peaches I used were too juicy?

I want to make a strawberry/raspberry freezer jam. You have a recipe I could use, but it uses powdered pectin. Can I substitute a pouch of Certo pectin?
Also, my berries are frozen.

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Dinah: Thanks. I read the info in the website you gave me. It talked about using dry and liquid pectins only if you are cooking the jams.

My question is about substituting in a freezer jam recipe.

Sorry! Missed the freezer part. However, I just searched online for "use liquid pectin in freezer jam" and found this recipe:

http://www.fres  am-liquid-pectin

When I made my peach freezer jam it stayed whitish and frothy looking instead of nice and orangey. Should the peaches have been cut in the food processor or left to set longer before adding pectin? Any ideas?

By Paula A.

Best Answer

It sounds as if you didn't skim the froth and scum off the top of your jam while it was boiling. Also if you add a knob of butter while the jam is boiling it will prevent any scum forming. It won't affect the taste or look of the jam. This is a very old tip. Jan UK

My black raspberry freezer jam came out gritty. I used Certo. Any fix you can recommend?

By Linda from Troy, OH

Best Answer

Did you remove the seeds (all or part of them) before you made your jam? Raspberry seeds are very hard, and would make the jam seem "Gritty". I usually run at least part of my berries through a sieve to remove the seeds before I measure my fruit to make Jam.

Harlean from Arkansas

Often when I make freezer jam it turns out too soft even though I follow the recipe exactly. How can I fix this?

Carla from Aran

By guest client (Guest Post)
Best Answer

Are you being very careful of your measurements of the fruit? Also the weather can cause a problem. Don't make the jam on a rainy day or when the humidity is high.

We have freezer strawberry jam that we are traveling with - 206 four ounce jars. They are currently frozen. We are leaving Tuesday and we are giving them away on Saturday. Can we just keep them in a cooler until we give them out or do we need to keep them cool?

Answers

They'll be fine if you fill in the cooler with as much ice as will fit. However, you'll need to keep the ice level constant, which means draining off excess water (some coolers have a spigot at the bottom for this) and adding more ice as needed. Given the time of year, you'll probably have to do this every other day. Don't open the cooler more than once a day to check on your jam, as the more it's opened the faster the ice will melt. If you have room, fill an empty 2 liter soda bottle or half gallon milk jug with water and freeze it, it will melt much more slowly than loose ice will and will slow it's melting.

Anonymous

if you put newspaper between them and pack well with it you will have frozen jam when you arrive

I used the low-sugar Sur-Jel to make raspberry freezer jam. I followed the directions as in the box and it did not set after 24 hours. I then attempted to use the "remake" directions to remake the jam and it still has not set. All of the "fix-it" recipes out there call for cooked and canned jams or jellies. Any suggestions on how to salvage the 6 pints of jam I have sitting in my fridge? I can re-purpose them if need be, but I would like to try and fix the jam first. I have made freezer jam for the last 4 or so years and haven't had this issue before. Thanks!

Apparently, what happened is that the directions that the company put out were not appropriate: "If you tried making strawberry freezer jam recently and couldn't get it to set, the blame may lie with a bad recipe mistakenly inserted into boxes of Sure-Jell regular pectin, as reported Sunday in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel."

the article follows up with a way to salvage the problem http://archive.  1-265379841.html

if that doesn't work, an idea would be to make pancakes or French Toast for a bunch of people and use it as a topping.

I am making raspberry freezer jam. I used organic sugar, but after 45 minutes of stirring it is still not disolved, what to do?

It may not dissolve as I think it has more fiber in it (stalk). I assume you did have it heated?

My strawberry freezer jam jelled on the bottom, but my fruit came to the top and is not very thick, how can I fix this?

Answers

Freezer jam is not cooked. Therefore, it is possible to remake your jam. I would suggest making a trial batch first. You can either use liquid pectin or powdered pectin to fix your problem. On the Missouri Families Food and Safety website, there are excellent directions to follow. Please use the link below and follow these simple steps:

http://missouri  tyqa/qafs486.htm

I have a bunch of jarred Del Monte fruit and was thinking about making some of it into freezer jam with my daycare kids. Would I simply follow the directions for freezer jam or change it some? Has anyone made this before using jarred fruit? Thank you!

By Mindy from Terrebonne, OR

I make sugar free freezer jam: 2 cups blackberries, 1 cup cold water, and a 3-oz package sugar free Jello. It tastes great, but is too thin. Can I add "no cook freezer jam fruit pectin" to thicken?
Thank you.

By Wanda M.