Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Getting Rid of Invisible Biting Bugs

When you are having trouble identifying what insect is bitting you, they can be difficult to get rid of. This is a guide about getting rid of invisible biting bugs.

April 2, 2015 Flag

Use Hibiclens Antiseptic/Antimicrobial Skin Cleanser while showering and they won't bite that night.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

For a few months now I've been getting bites all over me at my boyfriend's house. They look like welts and one bite on my eye lid swelled up. They're extremely itchy and recently it feels like bugs are crawling and biting all over me, but I can't see any. I have been itchy head to toe all day for the past couple of days now.

He had bed bugs, but we got rid of them with DE and cleaning also getting rid of objects that were infested. So we're ruling out BB. I now think maybe he has a mite infestation. He cleaned a birds nest out of a bathroom vent. Could they be bird mites? I don't see any bugs crawling on me or around the bed. But do have bites on me every time I stay there and it's only at night. I eventually slept on the couch because being in his room was torture, but it seems like they followed me. Neither his children nor him are getting bites at all.

What do I do? If they are mites can I infest my home by carrying them on me?

You could infest your home if you bring them into your house via your clothing.

Try to spray yourself with bug repellent when you go over.

If you could wrap the bedsheets in plastic, you might be able to take them to a place that sells pesticides, and they could tell you if any bugs are in the sheets.

Bed bug infestations are notoriously difficult!!! From your explanation of the itching etc.,you most likely have a continuing bed bug problem. A very simple online search for "how to stop bed bugs" produces many ways to solve your problem using home products. However, you may need to have a professional pest company help you, no matter how you have tried to resolve the problem. Check this site:

http://www.wiki … -Rid-of-Bed-Bugs

I stay at my boyfriend's house on the weekends and I can't go a single night without getting bit. My boyfriend never gets bit. This has been going on for a few months now. I thought it was fleas because his mom has 3 dogs that aren't properly bathed or groomed, but the dogs are downstairs and do not go upstairs, where his room is.

Some nights aren't bad, but some nights, like tonight, are really bad and I get bit 15+ times and can't sleep because I'm constantly scratching.

We have done several things to try and get rid of the bugs. We've done DIY flea traps (never caught anything), we've used flea and other bugs powder for the carpets, we've put baking soda all in the carpet (another thing I read online that works better than flea powder), we've sprayed the room, washed all blankets and pillow cases, vacuumed, vacuumed, and vacuumed again, and we're about to do it all over again with washing everything vacuuming and spraying the room.

There's no way it's bed bugs. We have taken flashlights and searched all over the room, edges of carpet, the bed, everything. We've searched many times and have never seen a single bug. My boyfriend also has an air mattress, not a normal one. There are no bugs whatsoever on or in his mattress. It has to be the carpet.

I'm the only one getting bitten and it's driving me crazy. I barely get any sleep at night and my boyfriend has to listen to me complain about these phantom bugs. It's putting a strain in our relationship. I want these bugs evicted, but we can't even figure out what they are. We're trying and it's really hard.

We've ruled out bed bugs, mosquitos, and spiders. There's no way I could get bit for months and never seen a web, a bed bug, or a mosquito flying around.

Also, it's only when I'm sleeping. We can lay on the bed and watch TV and never get bit. But the second I fall asleep I'm getting bit. We also work late nights and sleep all morning, some afternoons so it's not like these bugs are nocturnal, unless they're also on our sleep schedule.

Please help me try to figure out what's biting me, and what I can do about it. These bugs constantly have me in tears from sleepless nights. I'm going crazy. Nothing is working.
Thank you in advance.

Answer Was this helpful? 3
Best Answer

You may indeed have a flea problem even if the dogs do not visit the bedroom. Fleas and flea eggs can travel via your boyfriend, you and anyone else who enters the room, however quickly and at any time, day or nite. My husband, an entomologist, is not bothered by fleas, but I attract them like bees to flowers. The information below will help you understand what is happening.

Flea eggs do not stay on your pet, they quickly drop or roll off as they do not stick to anything. The fleas you find in your house hatched from the flea eggs that fell off of your pet or fell off of you and other people. Flea eggs are tiny and opaque white or almost colorless. The fleas you may see on your cat or dog are immature fleas from eggs on the floor or outside that hatched into fleas and jumped back onto your dog. You will also see (many!) small black dots on your dog but these are only flea feces.

The flea eggs in your home and outside are the real problem. Just one female flea can produce 40-50 eggs per day. The eggs fall off into your house and outside so, either way, your dog or cat will then again attract the immature and adult fleas both inside and outside which are the children from flea parents that may still be living on your cat or dog or you.

Any dish detergent bath may wash away or possibly kill some fleas on your pet, however, not all fleas are killed. In a bath many migrate up to the head and ear area and then, once the bath is over, travel back to their favorite spots, usually on the back. If you use dish detergent, you can seriously dry the animals skin and may cause skin rashes, an allergic reaction, etc., and you are not addressing the real problem. The thousands of flea eggs that exist all the time in your house and outside hatch and then jump back onto your dog or cat (and you!). So, you and your pets are locked into the everlasting cycle in the life of fleas.

A search online for how to kill fleas brings up many ideas for bathing, applying natural and awful sprays, etc., but these only address the fleas on your pet. Rarely do they address the bigger problem as a whole. You can check this site for answers that address your pet, your home and the outside. As you will see, flea prevention is a much larger problem than just giving your dog a bath.

The only way you will become flea free is to treat the dogs with flea killers. This will take time for the flea treatments to work and money for the medications. I strongly suggest having the dogs checked for fleas and any other medical problems and then treat the dogs with prescription medication. Over the counter flea products are not strong enough to deal with the uncontrolled flea infestation in the house.

Good Luck!

Best Answer

I recommend Ivermectin for mites. I believe you can get it in pill form for human use, but they make a gel for horses that is much cheaper and still safe for people to use. My family got it for $3 on Amazon ("Apple flavor" but tastes nasty). My mom and I were both being bitten all over during the day and even more at night. I couldn't see the bugs, but my mom was finding tiny white dots that would bite and then jump off. The Ivermectin helped a lot. We also put all of our furniture, clothes, mattresses, and bedding outside in the Texas summer sun under plastic sheeting, used diatomaceous earth, sprayed everything regularly with rubbing alcohol, including ourselves, kept floors clean and vaccumed, cleaned out gutters, sprayed the yard, and treated our dogs with sulfur and flea collars. After 2 months of all of this the bugs were gone.

I would assume that it's bedbugs, as much as no one wants to hear it. They hide so well that a professional would have to go looking. I had a similar problem in which my bf at the time wouldn't get any bites but I always did. We never saw any, but the red bites on my skin was proof of them. I would suggest bombing the room, spraying the corners and crevices through the room, washing all clothes and fabric material in HOT water. A secret I heard that a lot of hotels do, they spray ammonia to keep them away, but that does not get rid of them. They travel easily on your clothes or in your bag. You won't see a sign of them until you get an infestation. That's when he finally realized there was an issue, because the marks all over my body obviously meant nothing (yes, that was sarcasm). Good luck.

July 31, 2016 Flag

My mom has been experiencing a sensation of bugs crawling and jumping on her skin. She thinks it's fleas. We tried bombing and got the house fumigated 3 times. We moved, but the pest still linger. She can't see them, but there are tiny black specs everywhere when she vacuums. The bites look like mosquito bites and they don't seem to be red. Is there any advice you could give her?

We've been dealing with these things for a year now. Here's some background info. We think we got it from a friend's neighbor who has a lot of cats and had to be hoarding fleas for at least 20 years. My mom thinks it is a new kind of flea that's immune to everything. If anyone could please help or see if they found a solution to this problem so my mom doesn't have to suffer anymore. We also tried Windexing everything that didn't help. We even got rid of all the furniture and now have to sleep on inflatable beds, but they still stick. Also apparently they will find shelter in anything including electronics such as TVs and even phones. We also tried boric acid, but that has no effect either. So anything that's helped someone?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Please take your mom to her doctor now and explain the problem in the detail you have provided here. You must accompany your mother in the doctor's office visit to fully describe all that has been happening. A very good idea is to copy your description of the problem here to Thrifty Fun and give it to the doctor in your visit.

Your mom may have a medical problem that the doctor can provide effective treatment to help.

Best Answer

I agree. And if she needs to sleep on an inflatable mattress that is fine but...and please take this with the utmost respect and compassion...you need to be comfortable. This is most likely not a real infestation.

I just had to advise a young woman who thought that gnats were following her that she might have a chemical imbalance that is causing her to see what no one else can see.

There is no new strain of fleas. I am so sorry you are going through this. But DCA is right. I hope she gets better and you all can get some rest.

PS: I just checked with www.web.md and there isn't even a catagory for this.

Best Answer

Your mother may indeed believe she "feels" the bugs, however, she must see her doctor immediately. Her doctor can examine the places on her body where she thinks the bugs have been biting. She/he can then provide medication to treat the bite areas and prevent the bites from becoming infected. The doctor can also recommend additional medical treatment to address the bug problem in the future.

Please take your mother to her doctor immediately for help to resolve her problem. She will feel much better finding an answer to the bug irritation and receiving the best medical treatment.

I keep finding little bug bites on my 3 year old's arms, I have searched her bed and no bugs, checked my cat and no bugs. Somehow these bug bites continue to appear each morning so something is biting her and then disappearing. I took her to the doctor and she said looks like a flea bite but I just can't seem to find them! How can I deter any and all bugs from biting her at night?

By Sonia H.

Answer Was this helpful? 3
Best Answer

It appears to be a demodex mite I have had the same issue tea tree and alcohol give the most relief put tea tree in the washer when washing clothes also

Use Sarna cream for the itch. It's in the pharmacy by the itch creams. I've also used it on my head.

You all have bird bites. This is real. U r not crazy. Google it.

Good luck with the doctors. All a holes. Will tell u that ur crazy. Ur not.

November 2, 2015 Flag

What kind of bug do I have that looks like specks of black lint? I find them on my bed and you can not tell if they are bugs they are so small and they are not moving. They bite. I can feel them on me, in my hair, on my face, and on my arms and legs, but I can't see them. What are they and how do I get rid of them? I had fleas so I had my house sprayed. I sprayed and bombed five or six times, but nothing helps. I still have these bugs. I hope someone can help, they are eating me alive. The people that sprayed came back after they got rid of the fleas and said they did not see anything. They even checked for bedbugs.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Could be bedbugs. For all bugs, garden grade, not pool grade, diatomaceous earth. Safe for humans and animals, just don't inhale it. Cattlemen feed it to their livestock for internal parasites. I sprinkle it in our dogs food and sometimes dust them with it. Make an easy duster with an empty plastic water bottle. Dry it well and punch holes in the cap. Funny, I put one in the drainer to dry and when I went back to get it, it wasn't there. I asked my daughter, saying I had the cap in my pocket and she thought I said I have a cat in my pocket. Now, I tell her I have a cat in my pocket and I know how to use it. You can tell we are both nuts!

Ivermectin

Buy ivermectin paste for horses. I know it sounds crazy but it works. I had the same issue. You can get a prescription from a doctor. Or you can order ivermectin for horses online. Either way you have to get ivermectin in your system and everyone that's in your home.

February 20, 2017 Flag

How do we get rid of invisible bugs or mites in my car? We drove across country and my cat and dog are itching and scratching all the time. Flea treatment didn't work and I can feel my ankles being bitten while driving. I never see any bugs. Help please!

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I would take the pets to the bet and have them checked. The vet could probably tell you why they are itching. While they are there, I would bomb the car with a bug bomb. If you stayed in a hotel, you could have possibly got some bedbugs as hitchhikers.

Use Diatomaceous Earth food grade. I use a plastic Ketchup bottle that I got at the dollar store you know the ones you would use for a picnic they can spray the powder into tight places like under your seats and your trunk. Let the powder sit for 4 hours or longer and then vacuum it up along with an fleas. Make sure you empty the vacuum has soon as your done. Don't worry about the powder you can't get to the food grade is safe for you, children and pets.

I believe food grade Diatomaceous Earth will solve your problem - but - it may not be an instant cure as DE takes a few days to kill these things.

You may have picked up any number of kinds of bugs, fleas, mites, or even bedbugs so you will need something to cover removal of any or all of these. You will have to treat several areas and pets to be sure you reach every hiding place. Treat your car - especially the carpet and under the carpets, seats and under seats as well as the cargo/trunk area.

It is easy to apply and is not very expensive (always compare prices). You can buy it over the Internet or at many local stores - especially Lowe's and any true farm/garden store.

A little goes a long way and any left over will last forever. You will find many good uses for DE around your home if you Google DE food grade for information. I have used it for many years and would hate to be without it for pets, home and garden/yard.

Here is a site that may answer most questions:

https://www.dia  -control/indoor/

July 6, 2016 Flag

Please I need help identifying what's going on. I feel bugs on me at all times, and no matter how much I clean or shower, they won't go away. I thought it was gnats, but I shaved my whole body and they're worse! When I leave my home they go with me and all my friends even people I don't know can't stand to be near me. I shower like 6 times a day, so much that I'm out of soap, my washer broke, and my dryer. So I'm forced to stay home so I don't pass whatever it is.
My area is Las Vegas and it used to be home, now I can't stand to be in my home let alone my own room. Please help me, thank you.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Please, go to a doctor and tell him/her everything you are feeling and what you've done. It could be a serious medical condition.

My husband has been fighting this for a long time. We use the

flea spray from Petsmart called Sentry Home. The spray makes it so the fleas don't mature and lay eggs. It takes a long time to get all the eggs that have already been layed to hatch and then not mature enough to lay more eggs. He also uses a lint roller to pick up anything in the area, like the bed or chairs if you are being bit. He takes Benedryl for the reaction to the bites. I hope this helps!

August 7, 2016 Flag

At night when I lay down I can't sleep because I keep getting bitten. I have tried everything; it's not bed bugs. I had an exterminator come already. It stopped for a couple of weeks and then started right back. I don't know what to do. I can't see them, but can feel them when they start biting. Please, I need help.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

You don't provide your location or how long you have had the problem. However, it sounds very much like an experience we had with tropical rat lice that normally live on rats. If the rats leave an area, die, etc., the lice need to find another warm body and our bed was the prime focus! The site below explains more and you should consider another pest service with this information:

http://www.acvc  biting_mites.pdf

October 23, 2016 Flag

Well a friend of mine is complaining about getting bitten and she doesn't see anything after she's bitten. There's always a mark left, but no bug. At first she thought it was bed bugs, then she did the proper steps of getting it inspected. They ruled out bed bugs, there's no signs. So she's wondering could it be fleas? She has a neighbor with a dog and that may be the problem. We researched fleas and she thinks that's the problem. She has encountered the small white bug before, but only once. I think it may be fleas. Any suggestions on how to get rid of them before it gets worse?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If the problem is fleas, they will die off in a few weeks as long as your friend has no contact with any pet or flea infected area. If there are inside pets, avoiding fleas is more difficult:

Unfortunately, the only effective way to avoid fleas in the home is to either not have pets or have only inside pets; humans can bring fleas inside also. Cats and dogs carry fleas from the outside-other animals, yards, etc., and then bring fleas and flea eggs into the house. You can kill the existing live fleas but the eggs survive easily and a female flea can lay 50-60 eggs per day!

If you find live fleas in your house, you will also find flea eggs in the thousands in your house, as well. Flea eggs are very hard to kill as they are tiny and do not stick to anything; even an insect bomb is useless against the eggs.

So, essentially, you are always fighting an uphill battle against fleas. You can spray a chair or sofa and kill some fleas, however, in minutes or hours, new flea babies are born on a sofa or your pet climbs on the chair and leaves new live fleas and flea eggs.

The best flea guard you can achieve with pets is to maintain them inside only, keep up with prescription flea medication, if needed, and spray the furniture, etc., when you see fleas. The only way you can win (mostly) a flea battle is: no pets.

Diatomaceous earth you can get it at any feed store it's a white powder spread it all over your home on your mattresses in your counters on your counters it kills any type of bug

August 13, 2016 Flag

I have been been getting bit by bugs for about two weeks now. They leave bite marks and itch like crazy, but I haven't seen any bugs. No one else in my house has been bitten. Any information or advice would be helpful. I live in western New York, if that helps with anything.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You may want to ascertain that you dn't have bedbugs, by checking your pillows and under your mattress to see if you see wastes or eggs.

If you're pretty sure you don't then you could simply be around fleas, or sometimes bird mites can afflict humans

Either way, there are a couple of treatments that deal with such pests

A friend who had 2 huge dogs swears by nematodes. These insects actually crawl inside fleas and consume them from the inside, killing them. https://www.ama  or/dp/B007XFHAR6

She said she never needed to spray after that.

Some people also use Diatomaceous Earth, though be careful to not breathe it in when you put it. This product actually cuts open the exoskeleton of the bugs. Not just fleas but many other bugs die in the presence of this ancient calcified life form: https://richsoi  aceous-earth.jsp

Avon Skin So Soft repels bugs.

October 17, 2016 Flag

I am having the same exact problem as one of the other people on here the only thing is there are no pets at all. I go spend time with my boyfriend on a regular basis and in the beginning it was all good, up until maybe like June, maybe before. Then I started getting bitten up by something in his bed and he was not touched.

Well he moved from the place he was and I thought that would help, but no this weekend it happened again and it seems worse now. He still is not getting bitten at all. I can't sleep because I'm up scratching and rubbing myself down with alcohol to ease the itching. We searched everywhere even with a flashlight and don't see anything, but we see the bumps on me from whatever is biting me. He wants to stop this, but does not know what to do. I can't keep going over there and getting bitten up. Please help us.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You should really make sure that your boyfriend does not have bed bugs!!!! These are difficult to see during the day, but the way you can tell if you have them is to look on the underside of the mattress or the stitching of your pillows. If you see a lot of sediment, dirt, and stuff that looks like bug excrement or eggs, chances are, you have bedbugs. It is strange that it would only bite you and not him, but before looking at any other solution, make sure you do not have a terrible bed bug infestation.

Load More
Home and Garden Pest Control InsectsMay 28, 2014
Products
Hibiclens Antiseptic/Antimicrobial Skin Liquid Soap
Itching from a bug bite.
Identifying Little Black Biting Bugs
Removing Bugs from Your Car
Removing Bugs from Your Car
Identifying Little Biting Bugs
Identifying Little Biting Bugs
Tiny Orange Bug
Getting Rid of Tiny Orange Biting Bugs
👒
🐰
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 22, 2017 at 7:50:36 AM on 10.0.0.78 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.