Getting Rid of Invisible Biting Bugs

Category Insects
When you are having trouble identifying what insect is bitting you, they can be difficult to get rid of. This is a guide about getting rid of invisible biting bugs.

Use Hibiclens Antiseptic/Antimicrobial Skin Cleanser while showering and they won't bite that night.

I have used Frontline for large dogs in the past. It worked as long as you don't shower it off. I just tried Comfortis, a chewable tablet for fleas as I just got the mites again. Hope it works. Can't sleep.

I stay at my boyfriend's house on the weekends and I can't go a single night without getting bit. My boyfriend never gets bit. This has been going on for a few months now. I thought it was fleas because his mom has 3 dogs that aren't properly bathed or groomed, but the dogs are downstairs and do not go upstairs, where his room is.

Some nights aren't bad, but some nights, like tonight, are really bad and I get bit 15+ times and can't sleep because I'm constantly scratching.

We have done several things to try and get rid of the bugs. We've done DIY flea traps (never caught anything), we've used flea and other bugs powder for the carpets, we've put baking soda all in the carpet (another thing I read online that works better than flea powder), we've sprayed the room, washed all blankets and pillow cases, vacuumed, vacuumed, and vacuumed again, and we're about to do it all over again with washing everything vacuuming and spraying the room.

There's no way it's bed bugs. We have taken flashlights and searched all over the room, edges of carpet, the bed, everything. We've searched many times and have never seen a single bug. My boyfriend also has an air mattress, not a normal one. There are no bugs whatsoever on or in his mattress. It has to be the carpet.

I'm the only one getting bitten and it's driving me crazy. I barely get any sleep at night and my boyfriend has to listen to me complain about these phantom bugs. It's putting a strain in our relationship. I want these bugs evicted, but we can't even figure out what they are. We're trying and it's really hard.

We've ruled out bed bugs, mosquitos, and spiders. There's no way I could get bit for months and never seen a web, a bed bug, or a mosquito flying around.

Also, it's only when I'm sleeping. We can lay on the bed and watch TV and never get bit. But the second I fall asleep I'm getting bit. We also work late nights and sleep all morning, some afternoons so it's not like these bugs are nocturnal, unless they're also on our sleep schedule.

Please help me try to figure out what's biting me, and what I can do about it. These bugs constantly have me in tears from sleepless nights. I'm going crazy. Nothing is working.
Thank you in advance.

Answer Was this helpful? 3
Best Answer

You may indeed have a flea problem even if the dogs do not visit the bedroom. Fleas and flea eggs can travel via your boyfriend, you and anyone else who enters the room, however quickly and at any time, day or nite. My husband, an entomologist, is not bothered by fleas, but I attract them like bees to flowers. The information below will help you understand what is happening.

Flea eggs do not stay on your pet, they quickly drop or roll off as they do not stick to anything. The fleas you find in your house hatched from the flea eggs that fell off of your pet or fell off of you and other people. Flea eggs are tiny and opaque white or almost colorless. The fleas you may see on your cat or dog are immature fleas from eggs on the floor or outside that hatched into fleas and jumped back onto your dog. You will also see (many!) small black dots on your dog but these are only flea feces.

The flea eggs in your home and outside are the real problem. Just one female flea can produce 40-50 eggs per day. The eggs fall off into your house and outside so, either way, your dog or cat will then again attract the immature and adult fleas both inside and outside which are the children from flea parents that may still be living on your cat or dog or you.

Any dish detergent bath may wash away or possibly kill some fleas on your pet, however, not all fleas are killed. In a bath many migrate up to the head and ear area and then, once the bath is over, travel back to their favorite spots, usually on the back. If you use dish detergent, you can seriously dry the animals skin and may cause skin rashes, an allergic reaction, etc., and you are not addressing the real problem. The thousands of flea eggs that exist all the time in your house and outside hatch and then jump back onto your dog or cat (and you!). So, you and your pets are locked into the everlasting cycle in the life of fleas.

A search online for how to kill fleas brings up many ideas for bathing, applying natural and awful sprays, etc., but these only address the fleas on your pet. Rarely do they address the bigger problem as a whole. You can check this site for answers that address your pet, your home and the outside. As you will see, flea prevention is a much larger problem than just giving your dog a bath.

The only way you will become flea free is to treat the dogs with flea killers. This will take time for the flea treatments to work and money for the medications. I strongly suggest having the dogs checked for fleas and any other medical problems and then treat the dogs with prescription medication. Over the counter flea products are not strong enough to deal with the uncontrolled flea infestation in the house.

Good Luck!

Anonymous
Best Answer

I recommend Ivermectin for mites. I believe you can get it in pill form for human use, but they make a gel for horses that is much cheaper and still safe for people to use. My family got it for $3 on Amazon ("Apple flavor" but tastes nasty). My mom and I were both being bitten all over during the day and even more at night. I couldn't see the bugs, but my mom was finding tiny white dots that would bite and then jump off. The Ivermectin helped a lot. We also put all of our furniture, clothes, mattresses, and bedding outside in the Texas summer sun under plastic sheeting, used diatomaceous earth, sprayed everything regularly with rubbing alcohol, including ourselves, kept floors clean and vaccumed, cleaned out gutters, sprayed the yard, and treated our dogs with sulfur and flea collars. After 2 months of all of this the bugs were gone.

My mom has been experiencing a sensation of bugs crawling and jumping on her skin. She thinks it's fleas. We tried bombing and got the house fumigated 3 times. We moved, but the pest still linger. She can't see them, but there are tiny black specs everywhere when she vacuums. The bites look like mosquito bites and they don't seem to be red. Is there any advice you could give her?

We've been dealing with these things for a year now. Here's some background info. We think we got it from a friend's neighbor who has a lot of cats and had to be hoarding fleas for at least 20 years. My mom thinks it is a new kind of flea that's immune to everything. If anyone could please help or see if they found a solution to this problem so my mom doesn't have to suffer anymore. We also tried Windexing everything that didn't help. We even got rid of all the furniture and now have to sleep on inflatable beds, but they still stick. Also apparently they will find shelter in anything including electronics such as TVs and even phones. We also tried boric acid, but that has no effect either. So anything that's helped someone?

Best Answer

I agree. And if she needs to sleep on an inflatable mattress that is fine but...and please take this with the utmost respect and compassion...you need to be comfortable. This is most likely not a real infestation.

I just had to advise a young woman who thought that gnats were following her that she might have a chemical imbalance that is causing her to see what no one else can see.

There is no new strain of fleas. I am so sorry you are going through this. But DCA is right. I hope she gets better and you all can get some rest.

PS: I just checked with www.web.md and there isn't even a catagory for this.

Best Answer

Your mother may indeed believe she "feels" the bugs, however, she must see her doctor immediately. Her doctor can examine the places on her body where she thinks the bugs have been biting. She/he can then provide medication to treat the bite areas and prevent the bites from becoming infected. The doctor can also recommend additional medical treatment to address the bug problem in the future.

Please take your mother to her doctor immediately for help to resolve her problem. She will feel much better finding an answer to the bug irritation and receiving the best medical treatment.

I keep finding little bug bites on my 3 year old's arms, I have searched her bed and no bugs, checked my cat and no bugs. Somehow these bug bites continue to appear each morning so something is biting her and then disappearing. I took her to the doctor and she said looks like a flea bite but I just can't seem to find them! How can I deter any and all bugs from biting her at night?

By Sonia H.

Answer Was this helpful? 3
Anonymous
Best Answer

It appears to be a demodex mite I have had the same issue tea tree and alcohol give the most relief put tea tree in the washer when washing clothes also

Best Answer

You certainly aren't crazy!

I tired many things after ordering bed protectors.

I was losing sleep anxious and scratching constantly!

The SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT THING YOU CAN DO...

MATTRESS & BOX SPRING ENCASEMENTS!

You can get them at Walmart and that along with vacuuming daily will allow you to actually relax and sleep.

It took me a few day to let go of the fear. After the second night I slept with no bitting!

Be sure you don't allow your sheets or covers to touch the ground or you are giving them a free ride up to YOU!

I read on one site they come out at 4am to feed and sure enough they do!

We just pushed the clock forward for daylight savings time and MITES don't have that. So I was being bit at 5am

Good Luck!

We just recently moved to North Carolina from Florida and we were living here for about a month already when this started. My 4 year old daughter, for the last few weeks, has been getting bitten by something. I've had them come out and check for bed bugs and they said no bed bugs. I've gotten rid of their beds (both my daughters sleep in the same room) and bought them brand new ones with plastic covers. But, my little girl keeps getting bitten. I moved her to the living room and she stopped getting bit for 4 nights. I put her back in the room and she is getting bitten again. My landlord told me to buy spray and spray the beds anyway. He can't and won't do anything about it. I've never gone through this before, ever. I need to fix this problem, but how do you fix something you can't see and that no one believes you have. The marks are all over her and they look like ant bites. Another reason I know it's not bed bugs is because with bed bug bites the redness spreads and hers don't. They stay small and have a head like ant bites. I've even taken her to the doctor and the doctors said they aren't bed bugs and they aren't mites. What do I do? Please someone help!

Landlords are obligated to help "IF" they don't feel you brought this into your home. I am not saying you did, but that would negate their responsibility. I hope you find help. The other tips are great too. Is there something she is eating or playing with that her sister isn't?

If this does not happen in the living room, but only in the bedroom, and it doesn't affect your other daughter, this is very strange. For the short term, have her sleep on the couch in the living room. Go to another doctor and ask them to find out what these might be -- scabies? allergic rash? hives? A dermatologist might be a better bet than a regular doctor.

Please I need help identifying what's going on. I feel bugs on me at all times, and no matter how much I clean or shower, they won't go away. I thought it was gnats, but I shaved my whole body and they're worse! When I leave my home they go with me and all my friends even people I don't know can't stand to be near me. I shower like 6 times a day, so much that I'm out of soap, my washer broke, and my dryer. So I'm forced to stay home so I don't pass whatever it is.
My area is Las Vegas and it used to be home, now I can't stand to be in my home let alone my own room. Please help me, thank you.

Best Answer

Please, go to a doctor and tell him/her everything you are feeling and what you've done. It could be a serious medical condition.

If you do not see any bites, then you are allergic to something that you are coming in contact with and have dry skin. If you are not allergic to Avon skin so soft, (try a test on your skin first) rub this all over your body or find a moisturizer that helps your skin. Drink a lot of water - at least six 8 oz glasses per day. Make sure you double rinse your clothes in the washer and use less soap - I never use the amount they call for because it is too much. (also be careful about the softener you use). I use the Cheer free of All Free and, instead of softener, bounce free in the dryer (no scents!). I put the extra rinse on for the washer. Don't let people tell you it is in your head. If you do see bites, then there are - trust me - plenty of tiny bugs because in the first stages of their lives, for instance, fleas are tiny and you cannot see them - same for mites, bed bugs, etc. I vacuum and use Vets Best Spray that smells like peppermint and make sure you spray everywhere, including baseboards, with whatever bug killer you use.

I am really depressed with invisible biting creatures in my home. A year ago we have bed bugs in our home. After several pest control treatments they are gone completely. Now something is biting our skin from beds, sofas, and from clothes. We did pest control treatment all over, but they are still not going away. Whatever they are is killed by high temperature hot water only, while bathing. We wash clothes with high temperature, but they still are not going away fully. This has spread into my car and now my office chair. When I wear my shirts I start being bitten. It is spreading everywhere on my body. I don't know any solution. Please does anybody have any suggestions?

I am so sorry you are dealing with this! This page might be very useful to you from article all the way down to the comments. You can see many people have written in with their versions of what helped, anywhere from Windex to Listerine to finding out the bugs were coming from inside the skin:

https://dengard  l/invisible-bugs

I hope you find an answer here that helps you!

Buy or rent a steamer for those items that can't be put in the clothes dryer. The heat will kill the bugs in your mattress and sofa.

For a few months now I've been getting bites all over me at my boyfriend's house. They look like welts and one bite on my eye lid swelled up. They're extremely itchy and recently it feels like bugs are crawling and biting all over me, but I can't see any. I have been itchy head to toe all day for the past couple of days now.

He had bed bugs, but we got rid of them with DE and cleaning also getting rid of objects that were infested. So we're ruling out BB. I now think maybe he has a mite infestation. He cleaned a birds nest out of a bathroom vent. Could they be bird mites? I don't see any bugs crawling on me or around the bed. But do have bites on me every time I stay there and it's only at night. I eventually slept on the couch because being in his room was torture, but it seems like they followed me. Neither his children nor him are getting bites at all.

What do I do? If they are mites can I infest my home by carrying them on me?

Bed bug infestations are notoriously difficult!!! From your explanation of the itching etc.,you most likely have a continuing bed bug problem. A very simple online search for "how to stop bed bugs" produces many ways to solve your problem using home products. However, you may need to have a professional pest company help you, no matter how you have tried to resolve the problem. Check this site:

http://www.wiki  -Rid-of-Bed-Bugs

Thank you :)

How do we get rid of invisible bugs or mites in my car? We drove across country and my cat and dog are itching and scratching all the time. Flea treatment didn't work and I can feel my ankles being bitten while driving. I never see any bugs. Help please!

Use Diatomaceous Earth food grade. I use a plastic Ketchup bottle that I got at the dollar store you know the ones you would use for a picnic they can spray the powder into tight places like under your seats and your trunk. Let the powder sit for 4 hours or longer and then vacuum it up along with an fleas. Make sure you empty the vacuum has soon as your done. Don't worry about the powder you can't get to the food grade is safe for you, children and pets.

I believe food grade Diatomaceous Earth will solve your problem - but - it may not be an instant cure as DE takes a few days to kill these things.

You may have picked up any number of kinds of bugs, fleas, mites, or even bedbugs so you will need something to cover removal of any or all of these. You will have to treat several areas and pets to be sure you reach every hiding place. Treat your car - especially the carpet and under the carpets, seats and under seats as well as the cargo/trunk area.

It is easy to apply and is not very expensive (always compare prices). You can buy it over the Internet or at many local stores - especially Lowe's and any true farm/garden store.

A little goes a long way and any left over will last forever. You will find many good uses for DE around your home if you Google DE food grade for information. I have used it for many years and would hate to be without it for pets, home and garden/yard.

Here is a site that may answer most questions:

https://www.dia  -control/indoor/

At night when I lay down I can't sleep because I keep getting bitten. I have tried everything; it's not bed bugs. I had an exterminator come already. It stopped for a couple of weeks and then started right back. I don't know what to do. I can't see them, but can feel them when they start biting. Please, I need help.

Best Answer

You don't provide your location or how long you have had the problem. However, it sounds very much like an experience we had with tropical rat lice that normally live on rats. If the rats leave an area, die, etc., the lice need to find another warm body and our bed was the prime focus! The site below explains more and you should consider another pest service with this information:

http://www.acvc  biting_mites.pdf

Something is biting me on my arms, and I have never seen the bug that bites. I sit or lie on a leather sofa. My floors are tile with an area rug. I have three small dogs that are treated monthly with Revolution.

Two of the dogs are fine, one is having a terrible time scratching. The vet keeps saying allergies, but I no longer believe this to be true because he is getting worse. I see no insects in my house, on the dog or on myself.

I live in southwest Florida and at first thought it was an insect we call Noseeums. The temperatures have dropped along with humidity so the Noseeums are no longer around. I am open to any and all suggestions.

By Wanda C.

Best Answer

Check for bedbugs. They are pretty sneaky and hide a lot. They usually are active at night. Check around the seams on your mattress and box spring and on the underside seams on your sofa. They leave little poop stains where they hang out. They are a pain. Good luck.

My husband and I had gone through the invisible itching and we found the solution. Just a bit of background first We spent a lot of money trying to get to the bottom of it including hiring and environmental engineer to take air samples (to check for asbestos, living organism, infectious bird diseases). We had a bird nesting in our mail box. In the same 2-3 week time window, we got mite bites from a hotel, and we visited some land and had a bunch of deer ticks crawling our bodies. After seeing a dermatologist, getting allergy skin tested for mold, buying a kid's microscope to find the invisibles, having our pet birds tested for bird mites, buying essential oils (lemon, cedar, neem,etc,etc), bringing out 2 pest companies, washing bedsheets/clothes nightly, cleaning, sanitizing, vacuming every day, bombing with cedar, using epsom salts ete etc (hell), we started to wonder why nothing was working and at that point considered that it was coming from within our bodies. With what had happened, we spoke to our Dr about getting testing for Lymes. We both tested positive and I later confirmed with my family doctor that Lymes can manifest itself as itching. 1 year and 9 months later, we started the Buhner protocol (see his book - healing lyme) and have been on it so far for about 6 weeks. Itching is going down for my husband. We both have more energy. Honestly, I cant believe I was as sick as I was. Low energy, itching, memory loss, hearing loss. One note, most Lymes Disease tests are not very accurate and may not detect the disease. I suggest spending the extra money and having the blood test sent to IGenX.

Well a friend of mine is complaining about getting bitten and she doesn't see anything after she's bitten. There's always a mark left, but no bug. At first she thought it was bed bugs, then she did the proper steps of getting it inspected. They ruled out bed bugs, there's no signs. So she's wondering could it be fleas? She has a neighbor with a dog and that may be the problem. We researched fleas and she thinks that's the problem. She has encountered the small white bug before, but only once. I think it may be fleas. Any suggestions on how to get rid of them before it gets worse?

If the problem is fleas, they will die off in a few weeks as long as your friend has no contact with any pet or flea infected area. If there are inside pets, avoiding fleas is more difficult:

Unfortunately, the only effective way to avoid fleas in the home is to either not have pets or have only inside pets; humans can bring fleas inside also. Cats and dogs carry fleas from the outside-other animals, yards, etc., and then bring fleas and flea eggs into the house. You can kill the existing live fleas but the eggs survive easily and a female flea can lay 50-60 eggs per day!

If you find live fleas in your house, you will also find flea eggs in the thousands in your house, as well. Flea eggs are very hard to kill as they are tiny and do not stick to anything; even an insect bomb is useless against the eggs.

So, essentially, you are always fighting an uphill battle against fleas. You can spray a chair or sofa and kill some fleas, however, in minutes or hours, new flea babies are born on a sofa or your pet climbs on the chair and leaves new live fleas and flea eggs.

The best flea guard you can achieve with pets is to maintain them inside only, keep up with prescription flea medication, if needed, and spray the furniture, etc., when you see fleas. The only way you can win (mostly) a flea battle is: no pets.

Diatomaceous earth you can get it at any feed store it's a white powder spread it all over your home on your mattresses in your counters on your counters it kills any type of bug

I have been been getting bit by bugs for about two weeks now. They leave bite marks and itch like crazy, but I haven't seen any bugs. No one else in my house has been bitten. Any information or advice would be helpful. I live in western New York, if that helps with anything.

You may want to ascertain that you dn't have bedbugs, by checking your pillows and under your mattress to see if you see wastes or eggs.

If you're pretty sure you don't then you could simply be around fleas, or sometimes bird mites can afflict humans

Either way, there are a couple of treatments that deal with such pests

A friend who had 2 huge dogs swears by nematodes. These insects actually crawl inside fleas and consume them from the inside, killing them. https://www.ama  or/dp/B007XFHAR6

She said she never needed to spray after that.

Some people also use Diatomaceous Earth, though be careful to not breathe it in when you put it. This product actually cuts open the exoskeleton of the bugs. Not just fleas but many other bugs die in the presence of this ancient calcified life form: https://richsoi  aceous-earth.jsp

Avon Skin So Soft repels bugs.

I am having the same exact problem as one of the other people on here the only thing is there are no pets at all. I go spend time with my boyfriend on a regular basis and in the beginning it was all good, up until maybe like June, maybe before. Then I started getting bitten up by something in his bed and he was not touched.

Well he moved from the place he was and I thought that would help, but no this weekend it happened again and it seems worse now. He still is not getting bitten at all. I can't sleep because I'm up scratching and rubbing myself down with alcohol to ease the itching. We searched everywhere even with a flashlight and don't see anything, but we see the bumps on me from whatever is biting me. He wants to stop this, but does not know what to do. I can't keep going over there and getting bitten up. Please help us.

You should really make sure that your boyfriend does not have bed bugs!!!! These are difficult to see during the day, but the way you can tell if you have them is to look on the underside of the mattress or the stitching of your pillows. If you see a lot of sediment, dirt, and stuff that looks like bug excrement or eggs, chances are, you have bedbugs. It is strange that it would only bite you and not him, but before looking at any other solution, make sure you do not have a terrible bed bug infestation.

I keep getting bites on my arms, some are small red bites others initially look like mosquito bites. I've had 2 professional pest control inspectors to search for what I thought might be bed bugs, but I've never seen one and they both said they didn't see any signs of bed bugs either. So what can it be biting me?

By Nikki

Could be many types of bugs! Need much more information than you provided:

Your city & state

Apartment or house

When most of the bites occur-AM or PM?

Do you have a pet?

If you will provide more info, I may be able to help; the culprits may be tropical rat lice.

How can you get rid of them, in your apartment and on your body since they are obviously parasites? My cousin who brought them into my home has left her home,clothes etc. went to Alaska and gave them to her sister.

My 3 year old daughter keeps getting bitten, in the house, sometimes at night, sometimes during the day, by unseen, unknown bugs! They are very red, and incredibly itchy.

Help, my 3 year old daughter keeps getting bitten, in the house, sometimes at night, sometimes during the day, by unseen, unknown bugs! They are very red, and incredibly itchy.