Gluing Glass to Glass

Category Glass Art
Craft projects using glass often require you to glue glass to glass. This is a guide about gluing glass to glass.

I recently had a rather small piece of glass to glue to another piece of glass and found out an easy way to keep it in place while it dried. Take a wad of play dough or modeling clay, press it over the piece to anchor it in place. When dried, just lift it off.

By Jim from W. Hollywood, CA

Awesome solution, I'll be using this in the future! Great idea!

I have used several glues to glue glass to glass. I started with E-6000, but found that the tube of glue was useless after 2 or 3 uses. It wouldn't bond anything anymore. I switched to Gorilla Glue. I use the water activated kind. You just run a damp washcloth over each piece of what you are gluing. It expands a bit while drying to fill holes, and best of all the glue in the bottle doesn't dry up.

I have used goop automotive goop, it adheres really good and drys clear, ive done different projects , glass to glass.

A microwave oven with a glass turntable tray.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about repairing a glass microwave turntable. Microwave turntables can be damaged during use.

I am doing a project where I want to glue beach glass to glass. The glue has to be transparent. I plan on grouting around the pieces of glass for more effect. Which glue should I use, E6000 or Gorilla Glue, or something else?

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Best Answer

E6000 It is good for everything. Secret is to let it set for couple hours

Best Answer

Clear silicon sealent like Bison Poly Max if you need the glue to be transparent or some aquarium glue.

I want to repair a cracked outside mirror on my car. I plan to lay a new mirror on top of the previous mirror. The repair will need to be able to tolerate heat, humidity, and vibration. I will not be able to use a UV type glue. What is the best to use? Ideas and suggestions please.

Best Answer

The bond will be literally in the dark if you sandwich the replacement mirror on top of the broken mirror. No worries about UV. Heat , yes. A silicone adhesive should be find for something held vertically and the object is light in weight Good luck. Post a pic on There I fixed it. Maybe I'll see your handiwork

I don't know where you live, but in USA the best bet is to go to a junkyard and get a replacement mirror for your model of car.

I need to find a glue that will firmly secure glass beads and marbles to a window pane, that also dries clear. I need it for a kindergarten class project for their school auction. Any suggestions?

By Kylie R.

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Best Answer

I would think that E 5000 glue would work but you have to sand the glass a bit and then the marbles too, to help them stick well.

Best Answer

http://www.thistothat.com/ is a website that tells you which glue to use for whatever you need to glue together. Just enter the two items and you will be given the info that you need. Good luck.

Margaret from Denton, Texas

I am making a large display case and need to know what is best for gluing glass to glass. The case will be 4 ft long, 3 ft high by 18 inches deep. As can be seen by the dimensions this will need to be strong. I need to make about 20 cases of differing sizes.

Try Gorilla Glue.

There is a adhesive that works with heat from uv rays to cure it is used to glue bevels on sliding glass doors and is permanent Ive seen it in stained glass catalogs or the local hardware store can order if its not in stock.

I would like to adhere, with a clear adhesive, this glass sun to the inside window of my VW van. Does anyone know what product I can use? It must be strong because sometimes the ride is bumpy! Thanks in advance. The sun is about 3 inches diameter and pretty lite-weight.

Thank you!

I would use a suction cup to stick it to the window.

I am gluing glass to painted glass with E6000. It seems to be dissolving the paint when attached. Is there another type glue that would not have this reaction to paint?

Best Answer

Try sealing the painted pieces first then adhere with the E6000.

I tried Gorilla glue, but that didn't work. This will be outside in the summer. Any suggestions?

Use E6000, available pretty much everywhere. Get the clear kind as it does also come in black or white. I have used this to glue glass to glass, ceramic to ceramic, it works easily, cleanly and permanently. Let dry overnite to be on safe side.

An adhesive called E-6000. Made for glass to glass. I have used it on my outdoor glass projects. Some are over 5 yrs old and still holding. You can get it at any craft store and JoAnn Fabrics.

What kind of glue do you use to glue items (glass pebbles, bottle bottoms, tiles) to glass?

By Yolanda P

Best Answer

My friend did a Redneck Wine Glass, and she sanded the surfaces and used a 6000 glue.

They have stuck together really well. You have to take sandpaper and sand down one or both of the surfaces to get the glass surfaces to stick to other glass surfaces.

Best Answer

from thistothat.com

Glass to Glass

For the strongest, fastest, and most invisible bond we recommend:

Loctite Impruv

If Loctite is not available in your area, or you live in Alaska in the winter where there is no available UV light, we recommend:

Household Goop

Another fast alternative that will do the job, but not as strong, is

Krazy Glue

Super Glue

Zap

Zap-a-Gap if you have gaps to fill

If the bond has to hold up to solvents use:

Seal-All

The least toxic, yet not as strong, alternative is:

Weldbond

Whenever you are gluing glass you must consider the visibility of the adhesive. If the glass is translucent or transparent, you will want a glue that dries as clear as possible.

Before gluing any glass bond be sure that the glass is clean, free of any oil (even from your fingers) and dry.

I have a clear glass fish that sits on an LED lighted base. A piece broke off and I am looking for a glue that will still allow the light to shine through to the broken fin piece once it is repaired. Any suggestions?

Best Answer

E6000 will work. It's great for glass. I sell tons of it in my craft shop. You should be able to find it locally.

I hv found that the best glue here is super glue. but epoxy might also work. Or you cd file down the broken glass edge of the fish fin!

What is the best glue to use for gluing two 8x8x3 glass blocks together? I have used Goop glue and it has an odor that doesn't go away much. I stack the 2 blocks on top of each other with a plastic strip in between and need to make sure if I pick them up by the top block only, that they will not separate.

Brenda from Fort Wayne, IN

Best Answer

Clear silicone sealer, it has an odor until it dries but then no odor and it will hold anything. Can be purchased at Lowe's or Walmart. You can buy it in many sizes but I prefer this tube size that goes in a caulking gun for ease of giving you a line to work with. When your finished put a large nail in the end to close it off until next use. The smell will be terrible until it drys then you have no smell at all, do this outside or where you have good ventilation.

http://www.lowe  A&lpage=none

Best Answer

If you want to permanently affix just about anything to just about everything, try Liquid Nails. After it dries, it's odorless. You won't need anything and the glass blocks will fail before it does.

http://www.liqu  ls.com/index.jsp

How do I glue two very dense pieces of crystal together? I have an antique quartz crystal (almost clear) 10 inch high Buddha. It fell and the head broke off. What is the world's best and strongest clear drying adhesive available? I am confused by all of the many claims on line. Can someone help?

By Richard M.

Best Answer

I second the use of E6000 glue. It is wonderful!

I would use E6000. It's industrial strength, works on glass and is amazing. I have used it and sold it in my craft shop for over 20 years. Cindy beadlady

I am trying to glue the wings back on a glass butterfly. What type of glass glue do I use for heavy glass?

By Sheliah

Best Answer

E6000 is the best thing I have found! If you can't find it contact me. I have it in my shop. Search Cindybeadlady

I have an antique, heirloom Victorian chandelier with a hand painted glass globe that was broken into 6 large pieces during shipping. What kind of glue should I use? I can't use expanding Gorilla Glue because the pieces need to fit as snugly as possible for the cracks to be the least visible.

If your lamp is an expensive or cherished lamp, you might consider having a professional antique restorer repair the lamp.

I have a square glass decorative dessert plate that was on a stand, like a cake stand. I took it out of the dishwasher and the two pieces were separated completely.

Load More