Gluing Glass to Glass

Craft projects using glass often require you to glue glass to glass. This is a guide about gluing glass to glass.

Gluing Glass to Glass
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

I purchased a stacked piece made from dishes and cordial glasses. I want to make my own, but do not want the fog that was made inside the glass on my purchased piece. Can someone help with info?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I am doing a project where I want to glue beach glass to glass. The glue has to be transparent. I plan on grouting around the pieces of glass for more effect. Which glue should I use, E6000 or Gorilla Glue, or something else?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Clear silicon sealent like Bison Poly Max if you need the glue to be transparent or some aquarium glue.

Read More Answers...

I have a clear glass fish that sits on an LED lighted base. A piece broke off and I am looking for a glue that will still allow the light to shine through to the broken fin piece once it is repaired. Any suggestions?

glass fish light
        AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

E6000 will work. It's great for glass. I sell tons of it in my craft shop. You should be able to find it locally.

Read More Answers...

I am trying to glue the wings back on a glass butterfly. What type of glass glue do I use for heavy glass?

By Sheliah

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
        Best Answer

E6000 is the best thing I have found! If you can't find it contact me. I have it in my shop. Search Cindybeadlady

I have an antique, heirloom Victorian chandelier with a hand painted glass globe that was broken into 6 large pieces during shipping. What kind of glue should I use? I can't use expanding Gorilla Glue because the pieces need to fit as snugly as possible for the cracks to be the least visible.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If your lamp is an expensive or cherished lamp, you might consider having a professional antique restorer repair the lamp. If not, an easy online search for a "glue to repair broken glass lamp" produced many replies. You can try a search yourself or the very helpful "ehow" site to start:

http://www.ehow.com/how_10001802_glue-broken-glass-lamp-fixture.html

I need to find a glue that will firmly secure glass beads and marbles to a window pane, that also dries clear. I need it for a kindergarten class project for their school auction. Any suggestions?

By Kylie R.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

http://www.thistothat.com/ is a website that tells you which glue to use for whatever you need to glue together. Just enter the two items and you will be given the info that you need. Good luck.

Margaret from Denton, Texas

Read More Answers...

How do I glue two very dense pieces of crystal together? I have an antique quartz crystal (almost clear) 10 inch high Buddha. It fell and the head broke off. What is the world's best and strongest clear drying adhesive available? I am confused by all of the many claims on line. Can someone help?

By Richard M.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I second the use of E6000 glue. It is wonderful!

Read More Answers...

I recently had a rather small piece of glass to glue to another piece of glass and found out an easy way to keep it in place while it dried. Take a wad of play dough or modeling clay, press it over the piece to anchor it in place. When dried, just lift it off.

By Jim from W. Hollywood, CA

CommentMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

What kind of glue do you use to glue items (glass pebbles, bottle bottoms, tiles) to glass?

By Yolanda P

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

E6000- available in craft stores as well as home improvement stores, Walmart, etc.

Read More Answers...

I've been told that E6000 would glue anything together. I've tried using E6000 to glue glass Mason jars to glass candle sticks. After 3 days they can still be pulled apart. What else can I use, or does it take longer to set up?

By Kim L

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How long and how do you get glass to glue to glass?

I have used several glues to glue glass to glass. I started with E-6000, but found that the tube of glue was useless after 2 or 3 uses. It wouldn't bond anything anymore. I switched to Gorilla Glue. I use the water activated kind. You just run a damp washcloth over each piece of what you are gluing. It expands a bit while drying to fill holes, and best of all the glue in the bottle doesn't dry up.

What is the best glue to use for gluing two 8x8x3 glass blocks together? I have used Goop glue and it has an odor that doesn't go away much. I stack the 2 blocks on top of each other with a plastic strip in between and need to make sure if I pick them up by the top block only, that they will not separate.

Brenda from Fort Wayne, IN

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Just a plain old glue gun will work just dandy, I make a snowman and have to glue 2 different sizes together and it holds just fine!

Read More Answers...

I have a square glass decorative dessert plate that was on a stand, like a cake stand. I took it out of the dishwasher and the two pieces were separated completely. There were remnants of the clear glue or adhesive that was used originally on both pieces. I could peel it off and it was hardened. What can I use to put this glass plate back together so that it will withstand hot water when washed?

By EC

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

There is a china glue by Lepage on the market or get a glue for glass. If the dessert stand falls apart so easily, perhaps it should hand-washed and dried in water that is less hot than a dishwasher.

I have a crystal horse and need to repair a piece that came off. I purchased some glass glue, but can't seem to get the piece to adhere. Any suggestions?

By James from W Hollywood, CA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Use bostik superglue. I had a little crystal boat and one of the sails fell off. A tiny dab of superglue and I held it in place for a few seconds, and voila! It's fixed!

Read More Answers...

I am making a 3 or 4 tier glass stand out of glass dishes. I am wondering how to prep the smooth edges of the glass for the glue to adhere better.

By Kathy from USA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Hi Kathy, I didn't do anything to prep them. I use Premium Waterproof Caulk. 100% Silicone Clear. I have used this on several projects, in fact one of them is in water. I don't have a problem with water getting it, coming apart, and on one of the projects, the glass is quite heavy, have been using the items for years. Hope that helps.Sandy2009

I am starting to do yard art by gluing different glass pieces together, i.e. plates, vases, etc. Problem is I don't know what type of glue to use. Thanks.

By Sfarler from Olympia

Answers:

Gluing Glass to Glass

At Village Garden Web, according to a post by robin_ssi, "The best adhesive to use when you're working with glass is Weldbond. It dries clear, is non-toxic and it is waterproof when it dries." gardenweb.com (05/16/2009)

By Anonymous

Gluing Glass to Glass

Here's the website where I got this information it's great when everyone glues anything together:

thistothat.com

Glass to Glass

For the strongest, fastest, and most invisible bond we recommend:
            Loctite Impruv

If Loctite is not available in your area, or you live in Alaska in the winter where there is no available UV light, we recommend:
            Household Goop

Another fast alternative that will do the job, but not as strong, is

• Krazy Glue
            • Super Glue
            • Zap
            • Zap-a-Gap if you have gaps to fill

If the bond has to hold up to solvents use:
            Seal-All

The least toxic, yet not as strong, alternative is:
            Weldbond

Whenever you are gluing glass you must consider the visibility of the adhesive. If the glass is translucent or transparent, you will want a glue that dries as clear as possible.

Before gluing any glass bond be sure that the glass is clean, free of any oil (even from your fingers) and dry.
            (05/17/2009)

By BABBIE

Gluing Glass to Glass

I use E-6000. It's the best adhesive to use with glass. (05/21/2009)

By castleberrycc

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

What type of glue should we use to glue decorative glass to glass blocks?

Denis from Ottawa, Ontario

Answers:

Gluing Glass to Glass

Glue This to That. This site tells you which glue to use to glue things to other things, this tool helps you with that!

http://www.thistothat.com/ (12/02/2008)

By melody_yesterday

Gluing Glass to Glass

I've used a good clear adhesive caulk with excellent results. I have a stained glass butterfly that I mounted to a clear glass building block that has been out in my backyard for years and it's still going strong. If the glass your gluing to the glass block is also clear you might want to try a test item first to see if the caulk shows through or not. I also use the clear caulk for mounting stained glass to stepping stones and let it set up before I grout them. (12/03/2008)

By MaryC.

Gluing Glass to Glass

I don't know what is available in Indiana but two ideas come to mind: Ask at your local Lowe's or Home Depot type store or contact your local Glaziers Union. They are a labor union that installs commercial glass and likely would be willing to answer your question.

Good Luck.

Tracie (12/07/2008)

By Tracie

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
            Crafts Glass ArtFebruary 16, 2013
            Star shaped glass candle holder.
            Cleaning Candle Wax from Glass
            Glass Pedestal Dish With Brownies
            Making a Glass Pedestal Dish
            Woman in Green Shirt Cleaning Glass with Squeege
            Cleaning Sliding Glass Doors
            Gluing Puzzles Together
            Gluing Puzzles Together
            © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 25, 2016 at 8:05:50 AM on 10.0.0.225 in 680 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.