Gluing Glass to Glass

Craft projects using glass often require you to glue glass to glass. This is a guide about gluing glass to glass.

Gluing Glass to Glass
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

May 25, 2016 Flag

I want to repair a cracked outside mirror on my car. I plan to lay a new mirror on top of the previous mirror. The repair will need to be able to tolerate heat, humidity, and vibration. I will not be able to use a UV type glue. What is the best to use? Ideas and suggestions please.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I don't know where you live, but in USA the best bet is to go to a junkyard and get a replacement mirror for your model of car.

Read More Answers...

November 3, 2015 Flag

I am doing a project where I want to glue beach glass to glass. The glue has to be transparent. I plan on grouting around the pieces of glass for more effect. Which glue should I use, E6000 or Gorilla Glue, or something else?

E6000 It is good for everything. Secret is to let it set for couple hours

Clear silicon sealent like Bison Poly Max if you need the glue to be transparent or some aquarium glue.

October 23, 2015 Flag

I have a clear glass fish that sits on an LED lighted base. A piece broke off and I am looking for a glue that will still allow the light to shine through to the broken fin piece once it is repaired. Any suggestions?

glass fish light

I hv found that the best glue here is super glue. but epoxy might also work. Or you cd file down the broken glass edge of the fish fin!

E6000 will work. It's great for glass. I sell tons of it in my craft shop. You should be able to find it locally.

August 9, 2014 Flag

I am trying to glue the wings back on a glass butterfly. What type of glass glue do I use for heavy glass?

By Sheliah

Best Answer

E6000 is the best thing I have found! If you can't find it contact me. I have it in my shop. Search Cindybeadlady

April 26, 2016 Flag

I purchased a stacked piece made from dishes and cordial glasses. I want to make my own, but do not want the fog that was made inside the glass on my purchased piece. Can someone help with info?

November 3, 2013 Flag

I need to find a glue that will firmly secure glass beads and marbles to a window pane, that also dries clear. I need it for a kindergarten class project for their school auction. Any suggestions?

By Kylie R.

I would think that E 5000 glue would work but you have to sand the glass a bit and then the marbles too, to help them stick well.

http://www.thistothat.com/ is a website that tells you which glue to use for whatever you need to glue together. Just enter the two items and you will be given the info that you need. Good luck.

Margaret from Denton, Texas

September 3, 2015 Flag

I have an antique, heirloom Victorian chandelier with a hand painted glass globe that was broken into 6 large pieces during shipping. What kind of glue should I use? I can't use expanding Gorilla Glue because the pieces need to fit as snugly as possible for the cracks to be the least visible.

If your lamp is an expensive or cherished lamp, you might consider having a professional antique restorer repair the lamp. If not, an easy online search for a "glue to repair broken glass lamp" produced many replies. You can try a search yourself or the very helpful "ehow" site to start:

http://www.ehow.com/how_10001802_glue-broken-glass-lamp-fixture.html

March 24, 2010 Flag

I recently had a rather small piece of glass to glue to another piece of glass and found out an easy way to keep it in place while it dried. Take a wad of play dough or modeling clay, press it over the piece to anchor it in place. When dried, just lift it off.

By Jim from W. Hollywood, CA

Comment On This PostMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 14, 2014 Flag

How do I glue two very dense pieces of crystal together? I have an antique quartz crystal (almost clear) 10 inch high Buddha. It fell and the head broke off. What is the world's best and strongest clear drying adhesive available? I am confused by all of the many claims on line. Can someone help?

By Richard M.

I would use E6000. It's industrial strength, works on glass and is amazing. I have used it and sold it in my craft shop for over 20 years. Cindy beadlady

I second the use of E6000 glue. It is wonderful!

February 3, 2013 Flag

What kind of glue do you use to glue items (glass pebbles, bottle bottoms, tiles) to glass?

By Yolanda P

from thistothat.com

Glass to Glass

For the strongest, fastest, and most invisible bond we recommend:

Loctite Impruv

If Loctite is not available in your area, or you live in Alaska in the winter where there is no available UV light, we recommend:

Household Goop

Another fast alternative that will do the job, but not as strong, is

Krazy Glue

Super Glue

Zap

Zap-a-Gap if you have gaps to fill

If the bond has to hold up to solvents use:

Seal-All

The least toxic, yet not as strong, alternative is:

Weldbond

Whenever you are gluing glass you must consider the visibility of the adhesive. If the glass is translucent or transparent, you will want a glue that dries as clear as possible.

Before gluing any glass bond be sure that the glass is clean, free of any oil (even from your fingers) and dry.

E6000- available in craft stores as well as home improvement stores, Walmart, etc.

Read More Answers...

December 14, 2014 Flag

I've been told that E6000 would glue anything together. I've tried using E6000 to glue glass Mason jars to glass candle sticks. After 3 days they can still be pulled apart. What else can I use, or does it take longer to set up?

By Kim L

How long and how do you get glass to glue to glass?

March 7, 2013 Flag

I have used several glues to glue glass to glass. I started with E-6000, but found that the tube of glue was useless after 2 or 3 uses. It wouldn't bond anything anymore. I switched to Gorilla Glue. I use the water activated kind. You just run a damp washcloth over each piece of what you are gluing. It expands a bit while drying to fill holes, and best of all the glue in the bottle doesn't dry up.

November 28, 2008 Flag

What is the best glue to use for gluing two 8x8x3 glass blocks together? I have used Goop glue and it has an odor that doesn't go away much. I stack the 2 blocks on top of each other with a plastic strip in between and need to make sure if I pick them up by the top block only, that they will not separate.

Brenda from Fort Wayne, IN

Yes the silicone sealer works great! I have used it many times to glue glass together, and it is water proof! I made an all glass water fountain, so it needed to withstand water, and it did. But I am going to try the nail glue, sounds interesting.

Just a plain old glue gun will work just dandy, I make a snowman and have to glue 2 different sizes together and it holds just fine!

Read More Answers...

August 30, 2013 Flag

I have a square glass decorative dessert plate that was on a stand, like a cake stand. I took it out of the dishwasher and the two pieces were separated completely. There were remnants of the clear glue or adhesive that was used originally on both pieces. I could peel it off and it was hardened. What can I use to put this glass plate back together so that it will withstand hot water when washed?

By EC

There is a china glue by Lepage on the market or get a glue for glass. If the dessert stand falls apart so easily, perhaps it should hand-washed and dried in water that is less hot than a dishwasher.

February 27, 2010 Flag

I have a crystal horse and need to repair a piece that came off. I purchased some glass glue, but can't seem to get the piece to adhere. Any suggestions?

By James from W Hollywood, CA

Use china glue or china cement. They sell it in hardware stores. You can get white, clear or off white. This works great. I glued a glass ceiling bowl attached to an antique light fixture that I broke and it worked perfectly. You cannot even see the crack.

Use bostik superglue. I had a little crystal boat and one of the sails fell off. A tiny dab of superglue and I held it in place for a few seconds, and voila! It's fixed!

Load More
              Crafts Glass ArtFebruary 16, 2013
              Star shaped glass candle holder.
              Cleaning Candle Wax from Glass
              Glass Pedestal Dish With Brownies
              Making a Glass Pedestal Dish
              Woman in Green Shirt Cleaning Glass with Squeege
              Cleaning Sliding Glass Doors
              Gluing Puzzles Together
              Gluing Puzzles Together
              © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 26, 2016 at 12:03:20 AM on 10.0.1.72 in 788 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.