Gluing Glass to Glass

Category Glass Art
E6000 glue, commonly used for gluing glass.
Craft projects using glass often require you to glue glass to glass. This is a guide about gluing glass to glass.

I recently had a rather small piece of glass to glue to another piece of glass and found out an easy way to keep it in place while it dried. Take a wad of play dough or modeling clay, press it over the piece to anchor it in place. When dried, just lift it off.

By Jim from W. Hollywood, CA

Read 2 Comments

I have used several glues to glue glass to glass. I started with E-6000, but found that the tube of glue was useless after 2 or 3 uses. It wouldn't bond anything anymore. I switched to Gorilla Glue. I use the water activated kind. You just run a damp washcloth over each piece of what you are gluing. It expands a bit while drying to fill holes, and best of all the glue in the bottle doesn't dry up.

Read 6 Comments

This is a guide about repairing a glass microwave turntable. Microwave turntables can be damaged during use.

A microwave oven with a glass turntable tray.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

I am doing a project where I want to glue beach glass to glass. The glue has to be transparent. I plan on grouting around the pieces of glass for more effect. Which glue should I use, E6000 or Gorilla Glue, or something else?

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Best Answer

Clear silicon sealent like Bison Poly Max if you need the glue to be transparent or some aquarium glue.

I need to find a glue that will firmly secure glass beads and marbles to a window pane, that also dries clear. I need it for a kindergarten class project for their school auction. Any suggestions?

By Kylie R.

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Best Answer

http://www.thistothat.com/ is a website that tells you which glue to use for whatever you need to glue together. Just enter the two items and you will be given the info that you need. Good luck.

Margaret from Denton, Texas

What kind of glue do you use to glue items (glass pebbles, bottle bottoms, tiles) to glass?

By Yolanda P

Best Answer

from thistothat.com

Glass to Glass

For the strongest, fastest, and most invisible bond we recommend:

Loctite Impruv

If Loctite is not available in your area, or you live in Alaska in the winter where there is no available UV light, we recommend:

Household Goop

Another fast alternative that will do the job, but not as strong, is

Krazy Glue

Super Glue

Zap

Zap-a-Gap if you have gaps to fill

If the bond has to hold up to solvents use:

Seal-All

The least toxic, yet not as strong, alternative is:

Weldbond

Whenever you are gluing glass you must consider the visibility of the adhesive. If the glass is translucent or transparent, you will want a glue that dries as clear as possible.

Before gluing any glass bond be sure that the glass is clean, free of any oil (even from your fingers) and dry.

What is the best glue to use for gluing two 8x8x3 glass blocks together? I have used Goop glue and it has an odor that doesn't go away much. I stack the 2 blocks on top of each other with a plastic strip in between and need to make sure if I pick them up by the top block only, that they will not separate.

Brenda from Fort Wayne, IN

Best Answer

If you want to permanently affix just about anything to just about everything, try Liquid Nails. After it dries, it's odorless. You won't need anything and the glass blocks will fail before it does.

http://www.liqu  ls.com/index.jsp

I want to repair a cracked outside mirror on my car. I plan to lay a new mirror on top of the previous mirror. The repair will need to be able to tolerate heat, humidity, and vibration. I will not be able to use a UV type glue. What is the best to use? Ideas and suggestions please.

Best Answer

The bond will be literally in the dark if you sandwich the replacement mirror on top of the broken mirror. No worries about UV. Heat , yes. A silicone adhesive should be find for something held vertically and the object is light in weight Good luck. Post a pic on There I fixed it. Maybe I'll see your handiwork

I have a clear glass fish that sits on an LED lighted base. A piece broke off and I am looking for a glue that will still allow the light to shine through to the broken fin piece once it is repaired. Any suggestions?

Best Answer

E6000 will work. It's great for glass. I sell tons of it in my craft shop. You should be able to find it locally.

How do I glue two very dense pieces of crystal together? I have an antique quartz crystal (almost clear) 10 inch high Buddha. It fell and the head broke off. What is the world's best and strongest clear drying adhesive available? I am confused by all of the many claims on line. Can someone help?

By Richard M.

Best Answer

I second the use of E6000 glue. It is wonderful!

I am gluing glass to painted glass with E6000. It seems to be dissolving the paint when attached. Is there another type glue that would not have this reaction to paint?

Best Answer

Try sealing the painted pieces first then adhere with the E6000.

I am trying to glue the wings back on a glass butterfly. What type of glass glue do I use for heavy glass?

By Sheliah

Best Answer

E6000 is the best thing I have found! If you can't find it contact me. I have it in my shop. Search Cindybeadlady

I am making a large display case and need to know what is best for gluing glass to glass. The case will be 4 ft long, 3 ft high by 18 inches deep. As can be seen by the dimensions this will need to be strong. I need to make about 20 cases of differing sizes.

Hi There,

E 6000 works, but you have to use fine sandpaper to sand the glass where you are glueing it together. Wear gloves. I know this because I watched my friend glue together a mason jar and a candle stand to make red neck wine glasses. Here are some photos of what E 6000 glue looks like:

https://www.goo  &ie=&oe=

Have a Merry Christmas!

---Robyn

I would like to adhere, with a clear adhesive, this glass sun to the inside window of my VW van. Does anyone know what product I can use? It must be strong because sometimes the ride is bumpy! Thanks in advance. The sun is about 3 inches diameter and pretty lite-weight.

Are you very sure you will never wish to remove it?

If you are not sure then I agree that you should try a good suction cup.

If you are sure about never removing it then maybe you could try E6000.

I use E6000 as it seems to be good for almost every kind of material and is easy to use. This glue can be found at Walmart and many other regular stores as well as craft stores.

The glue does need time to "set" so be sure to not disturb it for maybe 24 hours.

I tried Gorilla glue, but that didn't work. This will be outside in the summer. Any suggestions?

What about Super Glue

I am doing a collage using photo pieces and several flat plates of glass (about 5, 10x12 sheets) which will eventually be placed on top of each other. How can I adhere the plates of glass together without seeing the glue and maintaining clearness of the glass?

Anonymous

Gorilla glue will distort.

I have a crystal horse and need to repair a piece that came off. I purchased some glass glue, but can't seem to get the piece to adhere. Any suggestions?

By James from W Hollywood, CA

Use bostik superglue. I had a little crystal boat and one of the sails fell off. A tiny dab of superglue and I held it in place for a few seconds, and voila! It's fixed!

I have an antique, heirloom Victorian chandelier with a hand painted glass globe that was broken into 6 large pieces during shipping. What kind of glue should I use? I can't use expanding Gorilla Glue because the pieces need to fit as snugly as possible for the cracks to be the least visible.

If your lamp is an expensive or cherished lamp, you might consider having a professional antique restorer repair the lamp.

I have a square glass decorative dessert plate that was on a stand, like a cake stand. I took it out of the dishwasher and the two pieces were separated completely. There were remnants of the clear glue or adhesive that was used originally on both pieces. I could peel it off and it was hardened. What can I use to put this glass plate back together so that it will withstand hot water when washed?

By EC

There is a china glue by Lepage on the market or get a glue for glass. If the dessert stand falls apart so easily, perhaps it should hand-washed and dried in water that is less hot than a dishwasher.

I am making a 3 or 4 tier glass stand out of glass dishes. I am wondering how to prep the smooth edges of the glass for the glue to adhere better.

By Kathy from USA

Hi Kathy, I didn't do anything to prep them. I use Premium Waterproof Caulk. 100% Silicone Clear. I have used this on several projects, in fact one of them is in water. I don't have a problem with water getting it, coming apart, and on one of the projects, the glass is quite heavy, have been using the items for years. Hope that helps.Sandy2009

I am starting to do yard art by gluing different glass pieces together, i.e. plates, vases, etc. Problem is I don't know what type of glue to use. Thanks.

By Sfarler from Olympia

Answers:

Gluing Glass to Glass

At Village Garden Web, according to a post by robin_ssi, "The best adhesive to use when you're working with glass is Weldbond. It dries clear, is non-toxic and it is waterproof when it dries." gardenweb.com (05/16/2009)

By Anonymous

Gluing Glass to Glass

Here's the website where I got this information it's great when everyone glues anything together:

thistothat.com

Glass to Glass

Loctite Impruv

Household Goop

• Krazy Glue
  • Super Glue
  • Zap
  • Zap-a-Gap if you have gaps to fill

Seal-All

Weldbond

(05/17/2009)

By BABBIE

Gluing Glass to Glass

I use E-6000. It's the best adhesive to use with glass. (05/21/2009)

By castleberrycc

What type of glue should we use to glue decorative glass to glass blocks?

Denis from Ottawa, Ontario

Answers:

Gluing Glass to Glass

Glue This to That. This site tells you which glue to use to glue things to other things, this tool helps you with that!

http://www.thistothat.com/ (12/02/2008)

By melody_yesterday

Gluing Glass to Glass

I've used a good clear adhesive caulk with excellent results. I have a stained glass butterfly that I mounted to a clear glass building block that has been out in my backyard for years and it's still going strong. If the glass your gluing to the glass block is also clear you might want to try a test item first to see if the caulk shows through or not. I also use the clear caulk for mounting stained glass to stepping stones and let it set up before I grout them. (12/03/2008)

By MaryC.

Gluing Glass to Glass

I don't know what is available in Indiana but two ideas come to mind: Ask at your local Lowe's or Home Depot type store or contact your local Glaziers Union. They are a labor union that installs commercial glass and likely would be willing to answer your question.

Good Luck.

Tracie (12/07/2008)

By Tracie