Husqvarna Riding Mower Won't Start

I have a Husqvarna YTH1842 tractor mower. When I was mowing the other day I stopped for five minutes, then it wouldn't start. There was a lot of back fire. I changed the spark plug and the fuel filter, but that didn't help. Before the season I changed the oil for the first time. When changing the plug I think a little fuel (or carb cleaner) came out. I took off the air filter and sprayed carb cleaner in there and started a small fire. Please help.

By bfelon from Franklin, MA

Answers:

Husqvarna Riding Mower Won't Start

Check your fuel. Mowers weren't meant to run on fuels with ethanol and it's starting to cause problems in cars and small engines (especially in areas where unscrupulous fuel companies are adding more than 10% to the mix). If your fuel is left over from last year the ethanol might have attracted water into the mix. (Just so you know, the "water out" products that they sell at the auto parts store are isopropyl alcohol and nothing more.)

Aside from that, let us know what happens when you turn the key. Is it turning over and trying to start or simply doing nothing? (06/20/2009)

By Valerama