Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Identifying a Houseplant

Many of us have picked up a houseplant at the store that was not labeled or have been given one as a gift. However, knowing what type of plant you have will help you ensure that you are giving it the best care. This is a guide about identifying a houseplant.

What Is This Houseplant? - looks like Wandering Jew

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

Tradescantia zebrine is a perennial, native to southern Mexico and other Central American countries. It is typically sold and grown as a trailing houseplant in cooler climates. This is a guide about, "What is this houseplant?" Wandering Jew (Tradescantia zebrine).

December 28, 2016 Flag

I was given this plant as a gift, but have no idea what species it is. I also don't know how best to look after it. I would be grateful for any pointers!

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

This is a type of succulent called a Jade plant. Can thrive in poor soil, doesn't require alot of water. Very easy to grow and take care of. Water once a week. Enjoy!

My mother gave me this plant. Neither she nor I have any idea what this is. Can anyone please help?

It looks to me a type of wondering Jew plant.

December 7, 2016 Flag

I bought this at Walmart and over the last few months I have nursed it back. Now it has flowered. It is beautiful! What is it? Lol

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

It's an amaryllis; we have them growing in four different feed tubs! You'll be able to divide the bulbs eventually for more plants.

February 11, 2017 Flag

I've tried looking up this plant by description with no luck. I'm trying to identify the type so that I know how to care for it. I need help badly for it's a family heirloom of sorts.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Ok cool. That's what seems to be happening now. Older leaves are dying off while new leaves are growing in.

March 8, 2017 Flag

I found this plant near my building and I'm having trouble identifying it so that I can care for it, and/or figure out if it's poisonous to my cats.
Thanks for any help you can offer!

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Here are also 23 Common Plants that are poisonous to pets.

Aloe vera, Amaryllis, Azalea, Baby's Breath,Begonia, Carnations, Castor Bean, Chrysanthemum,Cyclamen,Daffodil,Gladiola, Hosta,

Ivy, Lillies, Milkweed, Morning Glory,Oleander, Poinsetta, Pothos, Sago Palm, Tomato Plant, Tulip, Yew.

This was given to me as a gift. I think I'm killing it. Does anyone know what it is? I would like to look up how to take care of this. Thank you!

It is difficult to tell very much from your photo but if you can submit more photos of the complete plant especially the stalks, maybe from overhead, someone may be able to recognize/identify it. It would be good to know if it has blooms/flowers of any kind.

For now, I would recommend not over-watering, maybe wait until the soil feels dry at least an inch down, place only in good indirect light, no direct sun, no fertilizer, and be sure it has very good drainage.

Hope you can save your plant.

February 26, 2017 Flag

I got a new potted planter at Lowe's and it has an orchid and another plant in it. It also has a very small plant in it that I can't seem to find on the web. The little plant in the center of the photo is the one I have no idea of what kind of plant it is. Should I seperate the three plants as well? There is no drainage hole in the bottom of the flower pot. Please help.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Thank you but I'm also referring to the little one with the red threw the center of the leaves not sure what it is. When I get home I'll post a picture of it.

March 13, 2017 Flag

I have seen it in Flushing Mainstreet and I'm curious what it is. It's in the blue pot; the one with the huge leaves. I think it's very cool and interesting. Help me identify it :)

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Send this picture to the local cooperative extension center. i used to live near there. If I remember correctly, there is a garden center in nearby Auberndale, Garden World. Take the picture to them or email them.

February 17, 2017 Flag

I rescued this plant. I think it is a Dracaena, perhaps a corn plant? Information on its identity and care would be appreciated.
Thank you.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Sounds gorgeous. Thank you.

December 2, 2016 Flag

I am having a hard time identifying this plant. Very fast growing vine plant with 1.5" long leaves spaced about 2" apart along the length of the vine. I originally clipped a small stem from an existing plant and planted my own. Within 8 months it has grown 4 separate vines each measuring 2.5 feet or greater.
Thanks for any information.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

One of my friends is a Master Gardener and she believes the other posters are correct in that it appears to be green wandering jew plant.

Here are her "thoughts" from one of her study books:

Tradescantia fluminensis

Common Names: green wandering Jew, small leaf spiderwort, white-flowered wandering Jew, inch plant, speedy Jenny

Usually considered an invasive species but makes a great ground cover and a nice hanging basket plant.

Loves most of Florida's weather but I forgot to ask about other weather zones -

March 2, 2017 Flag

My friend has two houseplants, one that's not doing well and one that seems healthy. The first photo is the ailing plant and the second two photos are of the healthy plant. We'd appreciate any help on 1) what kind of plant these are and 2) suggestions for how we can help the ailing one. Thank you very much!

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

The bottom one looks like grape ivy to me.

February 26, 2017 Flag

We cut a small branch from a friend's and potted this plant more than 10 years ago. It keeps growing, but it never has flowers. It is supposed to have clusters of tiny flowers that are supposed to have a very strong smell. It does have a cluster of brown flower buds as shown in photos, but they do not turn into flowers.

Some called it "diamond flowers plant". It needs sticks to support it upright, or it falls down. It does not have a thick stem to support the whole plant, has only thin branches. A web site look up does not match the image. What is the proper name for this plant? Thanks.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

It probably is a star Jasmine (or Confederate Jasmine).

It generally is grown outdoors because it requires full sun and shelter.

And because it is a climbing plant.

http://www.gard  -plant-care.html

https://myfolia  rmum-jasminoides

November 6, 2016 Flag

I am trying to find out what this plant is.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I agree it is a Philodendron Selloum, it is easy to grow and it does become very large, what is nice is that it lives many years. Be careful with cats it is toxic.

March 5, 2017 Flag

Can anyone identify this houseplant? The stems are red and fuzzy or hairy. The leaves are 5 pointed. I've figured out it likes to be crowded in the pot. But I don't know the name.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Thanks. I don't think its in the purple passion family. From what I've read, purple passion plants root well from cuttings and the flowers have a bad odor. I have another larger one with flowers, which do not have a scent. This one also does not root from cuttings. It expands by sending up more shoots within the pot. I'll keep looking around for an answer, I'm curious.

November 13, 2016 Flag

I received this plant as a gift a few months back and I love it. But I don't know what it is called or proper care instructions for it. If I can get the name of it, I should be able to find the rest of the info I need. Thanks in advance :)

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

It appears to be a jade plant which is a succulent

March 3, 2017 Flag

I rescued this plant from work that was in a pot with several other plants. I separated them into their individual pots and this plant has thrived. I just don't know what it is. Any ideas?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Your plant looks a lot like one of my crotons but I do not let mine get this leggy. There are many varieties of crotons but very similar in growth pattern.

Here is a photo of a similar plant and how to care for a croton:

http://www.deco  -shades-of-fall/

http://www.cost  om/plants/croton

Load More
Home and Garden Gardening Plant Info What Is This PlantAugust 4, 2013
Green chameleon on a branch.
Identifying Lizards
What Is This Houseplant? Wandering Jew (Tradescantia zebrine)
What is This Plant? (Dracaena Fragrans)
What is This Plant? (Dracaena Fragrans)
Hoodia_gordonii
Identifying a Hoodia Gordonii Plant
👒
🐰
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site.
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 23, 2017 at 4:22:32 PM on 10.0.1.161 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.