Identifying a Houseplant

A woman watering a houseplant.
Many of us have picked up a houseplant at the store that was not labeled or have been given one as a gift. However, knowing what type of plant you have will help you ensure that you are giving it the best care. This is a guide about identifying a houseplant.

Tradescantia zebrine is a perennial, native to southern Mexico and other Central American countries. It is typically sold and grown as a trailing houseplant in cooler climates. This is a guide about, "What is this houseplant?" Wandering Jew (Tradescantia zebrine).

What Is This Houseplant? - looks like Wandering Jew

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

I was given this plant as a gift, but have no idea what species it is. I also don't know how best to look after it. I would be grateful for any pointers!

Best Answer

This is a type of succulent called a Jade plant. Can thrive in poor soil, doesn't require alot of water. Very easy to grow and take care of. Water once a week. Enjoy!

Best Answer

It's definitely a jade plant. If you pick off leaves lower, you can form it into a tree. If you pinch off the branches, it will grow into two more, allowing you to form a tree even more. But keep in mind, it grows relatively slowly. I have had some of my jades for years.

Any leaves or branches you remove will easily grow into a new plant. They are remarkably hearty and need very little water. I have found plant starts that were dried out behind my couch that were still able to green up and grow. A fun and rewarding plant.

I had this and I agree that it is the jade plant. It is an easy plant to grow.

This plant belongs to a friend of mine and she is having trouble finding out what it is. It is thriving very well, but she just doesn't know what it is called.

By W. David

Answer Was this helpful? 1

I've tried looking up this plant by description with no luck. I'm trying to identify the type so that I know how to care for it. I need help badly for it's a family heirloom of sorts.

Answer Was this helpful? 1

I bought this at Walmart and over the last few months I have nursed it back. Now it has flowered. It is beautiful! What is it? Lol

Answer Was this helpful? 1

This flower is called an amaryllis. It can be purchased in most gardening sections, especially this time of year. It is a large bulb that comes in a kit box, bulb, soil and pot.

Anonymous

A bulb, Amaryllis, likely.

Is this plant harmful in my home? We found it and I like it. It needs tlc, I just don't know how to care for it or what it even is. Someone told me they thought it was poisonous?

Best Answer

It is Orchid, potting in bark or osmunda fiber. Water only when the bark/fiber almost totally dried up. Orchids have hundreds varieties, beautiful colors and shapes.

Best Answer

I agree it is an orchidea and I am quite sure it is a phalaenopsis. It is one of the easy to grow Orchidea but QUICK ! take it out of the water or it will die ! You will find all the info to take care of it here. http://www.aos.  ault.aspx?id=217

After my beloved mamaw's funeral, my parents gave me several of the large sympathy arrangements and baskets of blooming plants. Nothing was labeled, besides 'blooming plants' on a tag under the basket, and there were several small pots in the basket with blooms.

I recognized the peace Lilies, cyclamen, and a palm but don't recognize two of the others. One has tiny bunches of pink flowers and really thick rubbery green leaves that almost feel like sedum leaves, like frog belly sedum. The other has small white/cream flowers with petals that sparkle in the light, it also has green, kind of thick leaves. I was just wondering if anyone could give me a name for them, so I can give them proper care. Thanks in advance! I did look on the florist's website to no avail.

Answer Was this helpful? 1

The pink is most definitely Kalanchoe. Sorry, I don't recognize the white.

The white one is a SaintPaulia also called African violet.

I don't think it can be a Gloxinia because the leaves of a Gloxinia are hairy and not thick and shiny and their flowers are very large and cup shaped. The pink flowers on the picture are not more than 3 or 4 milimiters. Gloxinia are beautiful but rarely used in arrangements that are meant to be used outdoors.

I am having a hard time identifying this plant. Very fast growing vine plant with 1.5" long leaves spaced about 2" apart along the length of the vine. I originally clipped a small stem from an existing plant and planted my own. Within 8 months it has grown 4 separate vines each measuring 2.5 feet or greater.
Thanks for any information.

Best Answer

One of my friends is a Master Gardener and she believes the other posters are correct in that it appears to be green wandering jew plant.

Here are her "thoughts" from one of her study books:

Tradescantia fluminensis

Common Names: green wandering Jew, small leaf spiderwort, white-flowered wandering Jew, inch plant, speedy Jenny

Usually considered an invasive species but makes a great ground cover and a nice hanging basket plant.

Loves most of Florida's weather but I forgot to ask about other weather zones -

I received this plant as a gift a few months back and I love it. But I don't know what it is called or proper care instructions for it. If I can get the name of it, I should be able to find the rest of the info I need. Thanks in advance :)

Best Answer

It appears to be a jade plant which is a succulent

I am trying to find out what this plant is.

Best Answer

I agree it is a Philodendron Selloum, it is easy to grow and it does become very large, what is nice is that it lives many years. Be careful with cats it is toxic.

Anonymous
Best Answer

Yes :) split-leaf Philodendron

Can anyone tell this plant or flower's name? It was brought to me as a gift. It has a thick trunk.

By lahib

Best Answer

The plant looks like a Desert Rose.

Best Answer

Hi your first answer (desert rose) is the correct one as I searched later on google and saw images exactly like the one I have. Thanks so much.

Could you please tell me what this plant is?

Best Answer

It is beautiful, and I agree it is a heptaleurum brassaia. It grows up straight up because it is, in fact, a tree. In its native country (Australia) it can be 30 meters high. You can prune it to give it a more bushy shape.

It is a Heptapleurum or Parasol Plant. I have one and at first thought it was a Schefflera, but I looked in several books and online and it is not a Schefflera. The Heptapleurum can grow straight up like yours, or you can cut the top off and it will fill out closer to the soil. Propagation is hard. I have cut off a branch with a node and put in water and soil and maybe one out of 4 will grow roots. I recently learned they will only grow roots if you do in the spring or summer.

I purchased this plant from a nursery. The gardener said it's an evergreen, non-flowering, house plant. I couldn't identify it by searching online. Please help!

Best Answer

Thanks Erikd923! You identified it right. I've already searched a lot about it and finally identified it as Polyscias fruticosa Parsley". Hope I've identified it right. Thanks a lot! Have a good day!

I received a plant and I am unsure of what it is. It has dark pink stems and the veins through the leaves are pink. The leaves are mostly light green with hints of the dark pink. Some of the leaves have dark pink on them, but it doesn't look like a polka dot plant. Maybe a corelus? Thank you

Best Answer

I think it is an Iresine Herbstii but that it is not getting enough light. Compare here : http://www.colo  esine_Herbstii-m

What is this shrub? I would like to know what it is called and what are the requirements for light, water, etc.

By Lahib A.

Best Answer

You appear to have a pink polka dot plant. Here is a link to caring for the polka dot plant. http://www.guid  a-dot-plant.html

I wonder if somebody can tell me what kind of plant I have? I have two pics of the stems and leaves. The leaves, I am told, look like a Chinese evergreen, but the stems are segmented. All of the pics I found of Chinese evergreens don't have segmented stems like mine does. Thank you.

By Peggy L.

I was given this plant. She doesn't know what it is and neither do I. Can anyone identify it? Thanks.

Dwarf umbrella tree. https://en.wiki  flera_arboricola

Anonymous

I believe it's a hawaiian schefflera

My client has one in her house and is unable to remember what the name is or how to care for it. Could you guys be of any help? Please and thanks :)

Answer Was this helpful? 1

I found this on the side of the road. I have no idea what kind of plant it is. Possibly a money tree? Seriously I have no idea. Would love your input. Thank you!

I received this plant 4 months ago, and the tips of the leaves are turning brown. I thought it was over watered so I stopped watering it and it still is losing the ends of the leaves. I am not sure what kind of plant this is, it has a cane type base. Thanks for everyones help.

Laverne from Omak, WA

I don't know the name of this plant. I asked someone at a nursery and she thought it was Schefflera but then said "no, someone else told me it was called a Grapefruit Plant". But no one so far has given me a definitive answer.

I fell in love with it when it was about to be thrown away during an office furniture giveaway my company sponsored. It had a sign attached to its pot that said TRASH. I called my VP and asked if I could bring it back with me to HQ and she said "yes" sight unseen. It had to be cut back and I was able to root nearly half of the cuttings to make new plants. Please let me know what the name of this plant is. Thanks.

By Cheryl from Washington, DC

We received this houseplant from a funeral, but none of us are sure what it is. The stems and undersides of the leaves are purple and fuzzy. It is also quite large - about waist high in its pot.

I want to care for it properly. Anyone have any ideas?

Best Answer

Hello ! It is a calathea, possibly it is a calathea rufibarba.

No direct sun, warmth and moist. You can check the cares for calathea in general, they all need the same conditions and cares.

I just inherited this cute plant from my fiance's roommate and have no idea what kind it is. I have two kittens so only cat -friendly plants allowed.

Best Answer

Looks like a Marble Queen Pothos. If it is, it is mildly toxic to both cats and dogs. The stems contain calcium oxalate crystals that can cause mouth irritation (drooling, loss of appetite) However, it's not deadly (looking at you, Sago Palm)

You can prevent the kitties from munching on it by hanging it up (which is what it prefers; see pic) Just make sure to keep any hanging vines out of reach.

About a year ago my grandmother gave me a couple clones of a vine plant she had. It quickly shot out more vines and is now growing up my kitchen window. Her plant didn't fair well and died. She can't remember what exactly it is called and I was curious. Sorry the photos may be hard to make out, lots of sun.

I rescued this plant. I think it is a Dracaena, perhaps a corn plant? Information on its identity and care would be appreciated.
Thank you.

Load More