Making Brown Sugar

The great thing about making your own brown sugar is that it's less expensive than buying store bought brown sugar and you have control over how dark the brown sugar will be.

• You can easily make your own light brown sugar by adding 2 tablespoons of light molasses to 1 cup of granulated sugar.

• For darker brown sugar, add 3 tablespoons of light molasses for each cup of sugar.

• If using dark molasses, add 1 tablespoon for light brown sugar or 2 tablespoons for dark brown sugar.
Continue reading for more tips about how to make your own brown sugar.

September 12, 2007 Flag

Tips on making your own brown sugar at home. Post your own techniques here.

Making your own brown sugar is easy and cheaper than buying it at the supermarket; it tastes great on cooked oatmeal in the morning or used in any recipe calling for brown sugar.

To 1 cup granulated sugar, add 2 Tablespoons molasses. Stir together until evenly mixed with a fork. After trying it once, vary it by using 1 Tablespoon molasses, using the dark molasses or the light molasses. We prefer 1 cup sugar to 1 Tablespoon light molasses, but I have made all the other variations. I make a double batch every time.

By Betty

I have made my own brown sugar for years. You use white sugar and add molasses and mix well. I was always running to the store for brown sugar until I discovered this hint. You can make a little or a lot. You can make light or dark depending on the amount of molasses you add.

By Dameemag from Rothbury, Michigan

Make your own light brown sugar at about half the cost per pound of store-bought. Add 2 Tbsp. of dark molasses to 1 cup of white sugar and mix thoroughly. (I use blackstrap molasses, and 1 Tbsp. per cup makes a nice dark brown sugar.)

By Momof1 from Wilkesboro, NC

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Top Comment

I took one cup of regular sugar and two cups of Splenda, then blended it with 2 tbs of black strap molasses. It came out great and should be a lot lower in calories. Next time I will go down to 1 of molasses as I think it still will work.

Top Comment

I've also made my own brown sugar for many years now, and not only brown sugar but you can make your own powdered sugar by adding 2 cups of granulated sugar and 2 tablespoons of cornstarch in a blender. Blend on high speed for about 2 minutes and there you have powdered sugar.

Marge from NY

Top Comment

I have been making my own "brown sugar" for awhile, with 1 cup sugar to 2 Tbls. molasses. I use an airtight canister to store up to 5 cups at a time. It stores good for me, but where I live is pretty dry, especially in the summer. I go through it fast, so it is much more convenient to just make some up when it gets low!

BTW, for S&A's post: it helps to mix it before hand, because of the consistency, and if water comes into contact, it will "clog" up and make it hard to mix. But it shouldn't hurt to try if it doesn't affect the outcome, like cookies.

Top Comment

Wish I had made a note of this when I read it a few weeks ago. I discovered I was out of brown sugar right in the middle of baking - of course. I followed the recipe on the jar of molasses which was one cup of sugar to one HALF cup of Molasses - way too much. I now have a batch of very gooey cookies. I will know better next time

Top Comment

Betty, I can't thank you enough for this handy tip! I live in Moscow, Russia and brown sugar is so new here, that it's very difficult to find. We usually bring some over with us from our State-side trips, but run out quickly! I am a teacher at an international school here and I love to make the kids cookies. My students thank you!

January 21, 2011 Flag

This is real Brown Sugar and tastes fresh - better than grocery stores. It doesn't get hard because of the preservatives. I did not know you could buy brown sugar until I was 25.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 11, 2017 Flag

My recipe calls for light brown sugar. I have white sugar and molasses. Can I substitute these for the brown sugar? If so how much of each for 1 cup?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

This is from the Huffington Post:

To make brown sugar you need one cup of white sugar and one tablespoon of molasses. Mix the two together  this job is faster if you use an electric mixer  until completely incorporated. Use it or store it  it doesn't matter, because you just made brown sugar.

It seems most cooks recommend using molasses with white sugar but I never have molasses so I have had to use maple syrup. This requires changing the recipe some but it has worked for me.

Check this site if you do not molasses:

https://www.lea  for-brown-sugar/

To make brown sugar you need one cup of white sugar and one tablespoon of molasses. Mix the two together  this job is faster if you use an electric mixer  until completely incorporated. Use it or store it  it doesn't matter, because you just made brown sugar. if you want dark brown sugar... use 2 tablespoons !!

October 25, 2007 Flag

How much molasses do I add to make light brown sugar into dark brown sugar? I have an over abundance of the light. I use more dark brown sugar than light. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.

Mike from PA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

The basic ratio is 1 tablespoon molasses for each cup of light brown sugar but this can vary according to the strength of your molasses and the strength of your light brown sugar. Start with the basic and add more sugar or molasses until it's how you like it.

To make light brown sugar you use 1 cup of white sugar and 2 tbls of molasses. I would take 1 cup of light brown sugar and try 1 tbls of molasses and see if you like it, or else you can add more. I always experiment. Maybe someone else will have something more exact.

Mike, try one Tablespoon of Molasses to one cup light brown sugar. Not dark enough add more.

January 21, 2011 Flag

I think everyone knows that you can make your own brown sugar cheaper than what you can buy in the store. So I'm not really telling you anything new. I've read this same tip on Thrifty Fun numerous times, but I don't think that anyone has ever submitted a photo.

I mixed up a batch of brown sugar and used 1 cup of white sugar + 1 tablespoon of molasses. Then pour the brown sugar in a plastic bag and close with a twist tie, and store it in a Tupperware container.

Source: I've made my own brown sugar for years.

By MCW from Lewiston, NY

Make Your Own Brown Sugar

Answers:

Make Your Own Brown Sugar

Thanks so much for the picture, it really makes it looks do-able. I have been curious about making this and powdered sugar for quite a while but have never tackled it.

I have a question. If you are making a recipe, what would be the difference between simply adding in an extra Tbsp. of molasses plus the sugar, instead of mixing it up in advance? It seems to me like there might be a possibility of it not mixing together as thoroughly. Any thoughts on this?

Merry Christmas! (12/17/2010)

By jess

Make Your Own Brown Sugar

Molasses is kind of expensive. Are you sure you are saving? (12/17/2010)

By Lilac

Make Your Own Brown Sugar

Someone had posted that molasses is quite expensive. It really depends on where you buy a bottle of molasses. I buy a gallon of molasses at a restaurant supply store and is much cheaper than buying the smaller bottles in the grocery store. I use very little molasses when I mix up a batch of brown sugar and it goes a long way.

If I had to drive to the grocery store every time I needed brown sugar, I would be burning more fuel in my car than I would be spending on a gallon jug of molasses. (12/17/2010)

By MCW

Make Your Own Brown Sugar

"I have a question. If you are making a recipe, what would be the difference between simply adding in an extra Tbsp. of molasses plus the sugar, instead of mixing it up in advance? It seems to me like there might be a possibility of it not mixing together as thoroughly. Any thoughts on this?"

A cup of packed brown sugar wouldn't be the same equivalent of a regular cup of white sugar. I just find it easier to spend the time and mix up some brown sugar for future baking. (12/17/2010)

By MCW

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

December 17, 2010 Flag

To make your own brown sugar, mix one tablespoon of molasses with a cup of white sugar. Add more for darker and less for lighter. I worked as a professional food taster for several years and discovered that brown sugar is just white sugar with molasses. This works like a charm.

By Sandra from Saint Paul, MN

Answers:

Make Your Own Brown Sugar

Great idea, you can make just what you need, and not have to worry about it becoming a "brick". (07/17/2010)

By merlene

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 6, 2010 Flag

Have you ever run out of brown sugar and don't want to make a trip to the grocery store? Use this recipe if you have some molasses in fridge.

For 1 cup white sugar, add 1 Tbsp. molasses for light brown sugar. Add 2 Tbsp. for dark brown sugar

Double recipe if you need to.

Source: Tip.nut.com

By Elaine from Iowa

Answers:

Make Your Own Brown Sugar

I can't remember the last time that I bought any brown sugar or confectioners sugar. It's so much cheaper to make your own.

(08/19/2009)

By MCW

Make Your Own Brown Sugar

I was glad to see your post. I just today had to throw out many food items due to insect infestation, and couldn't believe that I had boxes of confectioners and brown sugars that only had only been used for one thing. (08/20/2009)

By fatboyslimsmom

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 18, 2009 Flag

Save money on brown sugar by making your own. Keep a bottle of molasses on hand and add a little to your white sugar. Mix or put through your food processor and you have brown sugar in a snap. No worries about having to throw away brown sugar when it gets hard. Make your own fresh when you need it.

You can also use your homemade brown sugar to make a great table syrup. Just add 1 to 1 1/4 cup of water to 2 1/2 cups of brown sugar. Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes.

By Karen from Denver, CO

Answers:

Make Your Own Brown Sugar

Hello thanks, I did this years and years ago, but made it by hand and it was hard to mix it well now with the food processor it makes more sense. Thank you. (09/02/2008)

By deLadyBex

Make Your Own Brown Sugar

I've never made my own brown sugar, but I have had the brown sugar get hard in a canister. I just put a slice of bread it the canister with the sugar. It becomes as good as new. (09/02/2008)

By pattysue

Make Your Own Brown Sugar

I love brown sugar syrup! When making pancakes for my kids, we always prefer good hot brown sugar syrup poured over them with butter, Yummy! Have you tried making hot chocolate syrup for your pancakes too. It take Hershey cooking cocoa, water, and sugar, brought to a boil, sweeten to taste, and it's delicious too... (09/03/2008)

By Glinda

Make Your Own Brown Sugar

I have tried al ot of different syrups over the years and still prefer brown sugar syrup. I grew up eating it as a kid as we didn't have a lot and Mom fixed it special for us. I have added different things at times but prefer it over any other. I've added crushed pecans, crushed walnuts, and a variety of flavors to it also. (09/03/2008)

By Crafty Chrissy

Make Your Own Brown Sugar

I agree with pattysue. There is no need to throw out brown sugar. If it is hard, just put a slice of bread in the container. I keep mine in a tupperware box, but the bag is good too. I have also heard that a slice of apple works too, but I prefer to use a crust of bread. The bread just dries up, and then you toss it. (09/03/2008)

By louel53

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 18, 2009 Flag

Did you know that Brown Sugar is really only White Sugar with Molasses mixed in with it? I was so surprised when I found that out.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 21, 2008 Flag
Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.
CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Food and Recipes Food Tips Food InfoNovember 2, 2013
Wooden Scoop of Brown Sugar
Brown Sugar Tips and Tricks
Scoop of brown rice. Freezing brown rice.
Freezing Brown Rice
Ground Cinnamon
Sugar Free Cinnamon and Sugar Recipes
Storing Sugar
Storing Sugar
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 17, 2017 at 7:33:09 PM on 10.0.1.151 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.