Making Brown Sugar

Adding the right amount of molasses to your white sugar will make brown sugar. This guide is about making brown sugar.

September 12, 2007 Flag

Tips on making your own brown sugar at home. Post your own techniques here.

Making your own brown sugar is easy and cheaper than buying it at the supermarket; it tastes great on cooked oatmeal in the morning or used in any recipe calling for brown sugar.

To 1 cup granulated sugar, add 2 Tablespoons molasses. Stir together until evenly mixed with a fork. After trying it once, vary it by using 1 Tablespoon molasses, using the dark molasses or the light molasses. We prefer 1 cup sugar to 1 Tablespoon light molasses, but I have made all the other variations. I make a double batch every time.

By Betty

I have made my own brown sugar for years. You use white sugar and add molasses and mix well. I was always running to the store for brown sugar until I discovered this hint. You can make a little or a lot. You can make light or dark depending on the amount of molasses you add.

By Dameemag from Rothbury, Michigan

Make your own light brown sugar at about half the cost per pound of store-bought. Add 2 Tbsp. of dark molasses to 1 cup of white sugar and mix thoroughly. (I use blackstrap molasses, and 1 Tbsp. per cup makes a nice dark brown sugar.)

By Momof1 from Wilkesboro, NC

Top Comment

I took one cup of regular sugar and two cups of Splenda, then blended it with 2 tbs of black strap molasses. It came out great and should be a lot lower in calories. Next time I will go down to 1 of molasses as I think it still will work.

Top Comment

I've also made my own brown sugar for many years now, and not only brown sugar but you can make your own powdered sugar by adding 2 cups of granulated sugar and 2 tablespoons of cornstarch in a blender. Blend on high speed for about 2 minutes and there you have powdered sugar.

Marge from NY

Top Comment

I have been making my own "brown sugar" for awhile, with 1 cup sugar to 2 Tbls. molasses. I use an airtight canister to store up to 5 cups at a time. It stores good for me, but where I live is pretty dry, especially in the summer. I go through it fast, so it is much more convenient to just make some up when it gets low!

BTW, for S&A's post: it helps to mix it before hand, because of the consistency, and if water comes into contact, it will "clog" up and make it hard to mix. But it shouldn't hurt to try if it doesn't affect the outcome, like cookies.

Top Comment

Wish I had made a note of this when I read it a few weeks ago. I discovered I was out of brown sugar right in the middle of baking - of course. I followed the recipe on the jar of molasses which was one cup of sugar to one HALF cup of Molasses - way too much. I now have a batch of very gooey cookies. I will know better next time

Top Comment

January 21, 2011 Flag

This is real Brown Sugar and tastes fresh - better than grocery stores. It doesn't get hard because of the preservatives. I did not know you could buy brown sugar until I was 25.

October 25, 2007 Flag

How much molasses do I add to make light brown sugar into dark brown sugar? I have an over abundance of the light. I use more dark brown sugar than light. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.

Mike from PA

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

To make light brown sugar you use 1 cup of white sugar and 2 tbls of molasses. I would take 1 cup of light brown sugar and try 1 tbls of molasses and see if you like it, or else you can add more. I always experiment. Maybe someone else will have something more exact.

The basic ratio is 1 tablespoon molasses for each cup of light brown sugar but this can vary according to the strength of your molasses and the strength of your light brown sugar. Start with the basic and add more sugar or molasses until it's how you like it.

Mike, try one Tablespoon of Molasses to one cup light brown sugar. Not dark enough add more.

Food and Recipes Food Tips Food InfoNovember 2, 2013
Sugar Snap Peas
Freezing Snow Peas (Sugar, Chinese, or Sugar Snap Peas)
Scoop of brown rice. Freezing brown rice.
Freezing Brown Rice
Ground Cinnamon
Sugar Free Cinnamon and Sugar Recipes
Storing Sugar
Storing Sugar
🎄