Browsing: Making Brown Sugar

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Making Brown Sugar

Adding the right amount of molasses to your white sugar will make brown sugar. This guide is about making brown sugar.

Brown Sugar
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

September 12, 2007 Flag

Tips on making your own brown sugar at home. Post your own techniques here.

Making your own brown sugar is easy and cheaper than buying it at the supermarket; it tastes great on cooked oatmeal in the morning or used in any recipe calling for brown sugar.

To 1 cup granulated sugar, add 2 Tablespoons molasses. Stir together until evenly mixed with a fork. After trying it once, vary it by using 1 Tablespoon molasses, using the dark molasses or the light molasses. We prefer 1 cup sugar to 1 Tablespoon light molasses, but I have made all the other variations. I make a double batch every time.

By Betty

I have made my own brown sugar for years. You use white sugar and add molasses and mix well. I was always running to the store for brown sugar until I discovered this hint. You can make a little or a lot. You can make light or dark depending on the amount of molasses you add.

By Dameemag from Rothbury, Michigan

Make your own light brown sugar at about half the cost per pound of store-bought. Add 2 Tbsp. of dark molasses to 1 cup of white sugar and mix thoroughly. (I use blackstrap molasses, and 1 Tbsp. per cup makes a nice dark brown sugar.)

By Momof1 from Wilkesboro, NC

January 21, 2011 Flag

This is real brown sugar and tastes fresh - better than grocery stores. It doesn't get hard because of the preservatives. I did not know you could buy brown sugar until I was 25.

Directions:

Pour molasses on to white sugar use your mixer, or a fork to stir till completely blended.

Look on brown sugar ingredients label if you doubt this. Use my recipe and save money

I make 4 lbs. at a time. Its easier and it stays fresh for months in a sealed jar next to your sugar and flour canister.

By GrannyJenny

October 25, 2007 Flag

How much molasses do I add to make light brown sugar into dark brown sugar? I have an over abundance of the light. I use more dark brown sugar than light. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.

Mike from PA

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

To make light brown sugar you use 1 cup of white sugar and 2 tbls of molasses. I would take 1 cup of light brown sugar and try 1 tbls of molasses and see if you like it, or else you can add more. I always experiment. Maybe someone else will have something more exact.

The basic ratio is 1 tablespoon molasses for each cup of light brown sugar but this can vary according to the strength of your molasses and the strength of your light brown sugar. Start with the basic and add more sugar or molasses until it's how you like it.

Mike, try one Tablespoon of Molasses to one cup light brown sugar. Not dark enough add more.

Food and Recipes Food Tips Food InfoNovember 2, 2013
Sugar Snap Peas
Freezing Snow Peas (Sugar, Chinese, or Sugar Snap Peas)
Scoop of brown rice. Freezing brown rice.
Freezing Brown Rice
Ground Cinnamon
Sugar Free Cinnamon and Sugar Recipes
Storing Sugar
Storing Sugar
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 21, 2016 at 4:00:44 PM on 10.0.2.241 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.