Question

Share | Account | About
Share>Account>About>

Making Brown Sugar

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
Brown Sugar

Adding the right amount of molasses to your white sugar will make brown sugar. This guide is about making brown sugar.

Solutions: Making Brown Sugar

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Make Your Own Brown Sugar

This is real brown sugar and tastes fresh - better than grocery stores. It doesn't get hard because of the preservatives. I did not know you could buy brown sugar until I was 25.

• 2 cups white sugar
  • 1 Tbsp. molasses for light brown sugar
    Or
  • 2-3 Tbsp. for dark brown sugar

Directions:

Pour molasses on to white sugar use your mixer, or a fork to stir till completely blended.

Look on brown sugar ingredients label if you doubt this. Use my recipe and save money

I make 4 lbs. at a time. Its easier and it stays fresh for months in a sealed jar next to your sugar and flour canister.

By GrannyJenny

Tip: Making Your Own Brown Sugar

Tips on making your own brown sugar at home. Post your own techniques here.

Making your own brown sugar is easy and cheaper than buying it at the supermarket; it tastes great on cooked oatmeal in the morning or used in any recipe calling for brown sugar.

To 1 cup granulated sugar, add 2 Tablespoons molasses. Stir together until evenly mixed with a fork. After trying it once, vary it by using 1 Tablespoon molasses, using the dark molasses or the light molasses. We prefer 1 cup sugar to 1 Tablespoon light molasses, but I have made all the other variations. I make a double batch every time.

By Betty

I have made my own brown sugar for years. You use white sugar and add molasses and mix well. I was always running to the store for brown sugar until I discovered this hint. You can make a little or a lot. You can make light or dark depending on the amount of molasses you add.

By Dameemag from Rothbury, Michigan

Make your own light brown sugar at about half the cost per pound of store-bought. Add 2 Tbsp. of dark molasses to 1 cup of white sugar and mix thoroughly. (I use blackstrap molasses, and 1 Tbsp. per cup makes a nice dark brown sugar.)

By Momof1 from Wilkesboro, NC

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to Making Brown Sugar.

Question: How Much Molasses Is Needed to Turn Sugar Into Dark Brown Sugar?

How much molasses do I add to make light brown sugar into dark brown sugar? I have an over abundance of the light. I use more dark brown sugar than light. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.

Mike from PA

Most Recent Answer

By Bill (Guest Post)10/26/2007

Mike, try one Tablespoon of Molasses to one cup light brown sugar. Not dark enough add more.