Mosquito Bite Remedies

Category Home Remedies
Mosquito Bite Remedies
Stopping the itch and irritation of mosquito bites isn't always easy. This guide contains mosquito bite remedies.

Mosquitoes tend to eat me alive. I needed a quick fix to alleviate the itching, and I didn't want anything that was either too stinky or left dots all over me. Some store products didn't work for me. I tried table salt on the moistened area (it helped, but granules kept falling off). Apple cider vinegar didn't smell good and relief didn't last that long. Peppermint toothpaste would have worked, but again the splotches and fear of having it rub off onto other things. So, I tried deodorant - it worked great and no messy residue! I found starting out with a clean shower (because there were so many bites), then rubbing deodorant over the bites, stopped the itching and kept it that way for a long time. And it was easy and portable to take along if the bites started acting up again.

Source: Found suggestion on http://www.home-remedy.org

By Diane from Rochester, NY

Wet a bar of any kind of soap and rub on the bite; it will stop the itching. This is great for babies and small children who have such sensitive skin.

Hi, I was reading your tip for using deodorant on the bites. I also get really bad bites but I treat them now with aspirin mixed to a paste and leave on for a while. This takes down the swelling, I also make up a spray of witchazel 60 mls. then add 20 drops of lavender, 20 drops of peppermint essential oil into a spray and this really works with the itching. You would have to spray again when the itching starts again. helen xx

A little dab of aspercreme works perfectly too.

I like this simple idea! I am anxious to try it. Now if we could just keep them from biting without the smelly sprays!

I'll go try this, as soon as I climb over my sleeping dog, lol! The mosquitoes chewed my left leg to pieces Saturday night. :P

Up until about a month ago I walking to work every day for a couple of years, I was also getting eaten alive by mosquitoes and whatever else flies around in Kansas. So, I had already bought some citronella for something else. I rubbed it all over and it worked great. Someone at my work made a comment about smelling oranges, but it did not seem overwhelming to them. A friend of mine also said that using plain lye soap works to keep away bugs.

Anonymous

I had read here at ThriftyFun that using a bit of lavender essential oil on your pulse points works. I tried it and it worked for me. I have immune deficient problems because of emphysema and actually was bitten a couple months ago and ended up with cellulitis because of the bites but since then I've used the lavender oil and no more problems even though the skeeter population is out of control here. I think the skeeters are especially bad this year because of having a wet spring at least that's why they are so bad this summer where I live. I am in a high desert area that normally doesn't have a wet spring.

Try a Therapik. Heat neutralizes mosquito bites and the Therapik delivers focused heat to the sit.One or two applications will do the trick and it usually eliminates the swelling as well.

Rub the juice from a piece of cut onion on your mosquito bite. It will stop itching immediately and if you apply the onion juice two or three times a day the bite will disappear within a few days. Who can't find a piece of onion at a picnic, barbeque or camping! This works great!

Source: Farmers Almanac

By Shelli1961 from Boise, ID

Oh! Excellent idea!

Are you the type of person who is always getting bit by mosquitoes, even when someone else is sitting next to you and is completely unbothered? The answer may lie in your diet. I have heard that people who eat bananas on a daily basis are MUCH more susceptible to being eaten alive by skeeters. Something in the scent of bananas that seeps from your pores when you sweat, maybe.

So if you are planning on going camping this summer, make sure to not eat bananas not only while you are there, but also a week or so ahead of time to let your body discharge that "bananalike" smell that drives the skeeters wild.

By PMZ Paul from Walnutport, PA

i really wish the mosquitos/black flies/gnats/whatever would eat this rumour!!! there is no scientific evidence that what you eat attracts mosquitos

True or not true - I don't care! It's not harmful to try it. I mean, it is the scientists who tell us eggs are good, no eggs are bad, no eggs are good again!

I get eaten alive by mosquitoes every year. It doesn't seem to matter what I put on for repellent. I am not sure that the banana theory is true though because I really don't like them and rarely eat them if ever. Someone told me that some people are just genetically more suseptible to bites.

The banana myth is a fake.I tryed it and the mosquito rate was the same as without eating a banana.

undoubtedly false

Here you go. Bananas are very high in potassium, although it is not a sodium, it is still classified as a light metal/mineral thus of the salt family. Loading up on potassium your body will waste the excess. Since your kidneys take their sweet time, the next best and quickest exit is through your pores, your sweat glands. Since mosquitoes are attracted to what your body is out putting, the long and short of it, bananas are not ideal when there are bloodsucking females around.....uh....as in mosquitoes.

I personally don't think it's true, because lately I ate lots of bananas. At least one a day, but sometimes even two or three and mosquitoes still don't like me. That of course doesn't mean I don't get bit by them, but I find that they still prefer to bite other people :). That said I don't mean to totally disregard this theory about the banana and mosquitoes, but there might be something else that attracts them more... or maybe it's just how your blood is, because bananas or no bananas I was never a favorite target for mosquitoes. I feel lucky! :)

I've been jogging at this trail where there are tons of mosquitoes, twice every week for the past month and a half or so, yet I have not had one single bite until the other day. It was a nasty bite or possibly many tiny ones. Well, all I can say it was a pretty huge area. I always eat a banana every day, but usually before or after I workout, however, the day I got that nasty bite, I had it one hour or so before I went out for a run. This urban legend is probably true. I think we should all try eating a banana one hour before we do anything extensive (where we sweat like a pig) in an area fill with mosquitoes and then re-assess whether this urban legend is true.

I'm allergic to bananas, so I rarely eat them, but I am still the most mosquito-bitten person I know!

Below in quotes is what i was just sent. "Mosquito bites: Before reaching for the insect bite cream, try rubbing the affected area with the inside of a banana skin. Many people find it amazingly successful at reducing swelling and irritation."

I don't know if anything is true anymore. My son loves to eat bananas and when he is at the cottage he is usually the one who gets eaten the most but so do I and I don't get bitten.

My boyfriend eats a banana everyday with breakfast and never gets bit by mosquitoes. They don't even notice he is there. He doesn't understand how I get bit because he thinks we don't have mosquitoes ... must be nice.

Iif you want to save lots of dollars to remedy bug bites, just make a paste out of water and baking soda. Something about this combination draws out the irritant from the bug bites. Very green and natural solution to bug bite discomfort!

By Claire J. from San Francisco

This is also great for bee or wasp stings. My mom used it on me a lot as a kid! =)

I am a 70 yr old mother of 3 gandmother of 9 and stepgrand mother to 9 and great grand mother of 6 and in my First Aid box I have kept Snuff, Vicks, Credit card & Soda. The snuff, if you wet it with your saliva, makes a past it's good for ant, Wasp and Bees stings. Vicks works about the same but add cuts on that list. Credit card is to get the stinger out and soda to take the soreness out. Just add Bandaids and you have all that you need in one handy place.

Anonymous

I tried everything for mosquito bites on a recent trip to Africa, and the only thing that worked was a paste of baking soda.

I had a lot of mosquito bites and the itching was driving me crazy. A friend told me to rub deodorant on them and I figured it was worth a try. To my surprise, the itching went away instantly. For some reason you have to use the white kind, the clear kind does not work. An inexpensive way to keep those bites from itching.

Source: From a friend

By Mythi from Poulsbo, WA

Great tip! =)

Another good way is dampen a cotton ball with white vinegar and put on the mosquito bite. Stops the itching too.

Any particular type of deodorant?

This works! I did a quick search for my daughter. She was miserable. She put it on, came back in and said "Rate this as a 5!"

It may sound odd, but I've discovered that Preparation H gel or cream takes away the itch and swelling from bites. I've used it for years and have told allot of people about it and now they too use it. Don't use the ointment as it smells and is leaves greasy marks. I hope this helps someone else who suffers badly from the itching and swelling of nasty bites.

I randomly started putting deodorant on my skin because I believed I smelt bad!! I was also covered in mosquito bites. I used gel deodorant and it worked great! Still haven't figured out how or why but I will be using this tip from now on!

Hate that itch when you've been bitten by a mosquito? Well I stumbled upon a way to end the itch of a mosquito bite instantly! I hate mosquitos. I hate the awful itch that comes from their bite-even more.

One spring morning I was cleaning my yard and carefully removing any stagnant water from around my potted plants, when I got a nasty bite from a mosquito. I went inside to get rubbing alcohol to put on the bite and some calamine lotion. I located the rubbing alcohol, in the medicine cabinet-but realized I was out of calamine lotion. I put the rubbing alcohol on my skin, and of course - began to scratch the irritated bite area.

Needless to say-that itch can be unbearable and cause the skin around the bite to swell. To make a long story short - after I applied the rubbing alcohol, I put a piece of scotch tape directly on top of the bite and to my surprise - the itch stopped - immediately! I left the tape on for about 4 hours and when I pulled the tape off, I could actually see the poison extract from the mosquito - on the tape. Somehow the adhesive on the tape collected the fluid from the bite and I held the tape up to the light and I could see the tiny penetration hole on the tape from where I was bit.

I have been using tape to end itching form mosquito bites ever since. It's funny how a simple piece of scotch tape can halt an unbearable itch. Apparently, the tape keeps the area around the bite from naturally expanding. After I removed the tape there was no further itching and no black mark left. I put some more rubbing alcohol on the skin after removing the tape. I know it may sound weird, but the next time you get a irritating mosquito insect bite, after you place your antiseptic on the bite-place a piece of scotch tape directly on top of that bite and feel instant relief with no insatiable urge-to scratch!

By Big Bad Mama

Are you sure you are talking about mosquito bites? When a mosquito bites, it injects a little of it's "saliva" and dilutes your blood, which it then sucks up. Since this stuff mixes with your blood, there is no way you could see it or that it could be extracted.

Since up here in Northern Saskatchewan, we have lots of mosquitoes with the possibility of West Nile Virus, I use a repellant with Deet to prevent bites. I generally find that slapping the mosquito and ignoring the bite works as well as anything. Perhaps I have built up an immunity.

I spent 30 years in the Yukon and some time in the NWT, but have never used Alcohol on any bites. In spring, until my immunity and ability to repel the bugs by being more ornery than them was back in shape, I sometimes used duck tape on bites, that caused swelling and itching.

It might seem funny to Southerners, but it seems to work quite well for people living in the bush.

Have fun!

DearWebby

Take two charcoal capsules, split them, and put the powder into a small dish. Mix to a paste with a few drops of cold water, then spread onto the bite leave on for half an hour then wash off in tepid water.

I fell upon a solution that is so simple, I almost hesitate posting it. I put a small piece of plastic tape over the bite and it started to lessen the itch right away.

Using your faucet or shower, run the hottest water you can tolerate directly on your mosquito bite for as long as you can. A few seconds should be sufficient. Repeat as often as necessary.

I was actually looking through all these questions and I saw that one option said deodorant so I tried it. It was INSTANT!

Orajel can be applied to mosquito bitings to slightly numb the area and help prevent itching. This is a guide about Orajel for mosquito bites.

Mosquito Bite

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Mosquito bites are an annoyance anywhere but can be particularly so on the face. This is a guide about dealing with mosquito bites on my face.

Mosquito Biting

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

I have bug bites on my legs. Is there any way to clear them up in a couple days?

By Dixie from Mc Calla, AL

Best Answer

Use the product "Basic H2 Super Organic Cleaning Concentrate" it stops the itch of a mosquito bite the second you apply it. It's also organic so its not harmful to your skin. This is used as an organic cleaning product for homes but, I use it on my bug bites all the time and have recommended it. No side affects yet.

I use ammonia but it should be used right after the bite or it loses it's effectiveness.

Vinegar is the best!

Does anyone have a home remedy for bug bites? My two year old must have been bitten by a mosquito or spider and has red bumps that look bad, they itch, too.

Pseres from MI

Feedback:

Baking Soda Bath

You can draw a baking soda or baby oatmeal bath, that will help with the itching. Adding a little vinegar in the bathwater helps, too. If there are two puncture marks on the bite, it is a spider, and if it is swollen please go to the doctor, or ER if there is diarrhea, fever etc. I get those bad reactions to mosquitoes, and the best homemade non-toxic repellent I know of is Vanilla Extract. I am B+ blood type, and they seem to like that. When I put it on pulse points, no bites.

By camo_angels

Three Ideas

There are three good remedies for bites. Try dabbing them with either vinegar or ammonia. A dab of Nu Skin will stop the itching also, believe it or not. (05/11/2006)

By spyderbyte

Bug Bite Remedy

Old fashioned cheap remedy but it works.

Add aspirin to bottle of alcohol shake until dissolved. Label bottle appropriately; I mark mine "Bug Bite Remedy". Rub solution on bite marks with cotton swab. The itching and burning stops very fast.

(05/12/2006)

By Michelle

Hydrocortisone Cream

My daughter gets these from mosquito bites. The first time I saw them they were huge and scary looking. I took her to the doctor and he said she was allergic to the bug bite. He recommended hydrocortisone cream applied to the bumps a few times a day. Stops the itching too. (05/13/2006)

By tmelendezt

Banana Skins

We use the inside skin from a banana. Just peel and rub it where it itches. It works like a charm and you get a delicious snack as well.

By wmceache

What works for some may not work for others. Best over the counter seems to be creams, etc. containing benzocaine or lylocaine. Oragel (toothache remedy) contains benzocaine. So says my daughter a pharmacist for 20+ years.

What is the best product to use on mosquito bites? Alcohol just doesn't work well, nor does CVS Itch Relief Spray.

By Karen from Boynton Beach, FL

Feedback:

Vinegar

My husband just told me to put white vinegar on the bites. I didn't have white vinegar so I used apple cider vinegar.

By metroplex

AfterBite

AfterBite, the itch eraser, is real good. You can find it in the first aid section at Wal-mart.

By Hate Litter

Bactine

I have used Bactine on New England mosquito bites and it is very effective. It is also great on sunburns and kids boo boo's because it doesn't sting when you put it on!

By D Caisse

Ammonia

I use ammonia on a q-tip, after discovering that Afterbite is basically ammonia. Learned this from a fellow camper and I left my afterbite home. Worked like a charm!

By chrissy1313

What do I use for mosquito bites?
Thank you.

By Mary from AZ

Feedback:

Aspirin

I just read a tip today to wet an aspirin and set it on bite to stop the pain and itch. (06/04/2010)

By knitter926

Deodorant

I think I got this hint from this site. I bought a trial size deodorant and rub that on my grandbaby who is highly allergic to all bites. She scratches til she bleeds, but this had stopped that. I keep the small container in my purse. Solid rub-on deodorant! I am going to try the Scotch tape though.

By HalfWhit

Scotch Tape

I have had a bad reaction to mosquito bites since I was a child. Almost nothing works, ice, calamine lotion, baking soda, and toothpaste, however, Scotch tape works best for me. Thank you so much!

By bbstreet4

Isopropyl Alcohol and Hydrocortisone Cream

I also am sensitive to bug bites and what works for me is wiping well with isopropyl alcohol and then applying a dab of over the counter hydrocortisone cream. (06/08/2010)

By Deeli

Maximum Strength Orajel

You could try putting some Maximum Strength Orajel on it. I've got 26 bug bites scattered over my legs and hips and I'm currently trying it out. (absolutely no idea where they're coming from. I haven't been outside other than to walk to the car, and I had my legs covered. They're all on my lower body, too. None up top at all, and I'm not quite sure why.) It's numbed them for the most part so far, but I'm not sure how long it will last. Hope it works for you if you try it!

By Ballinballerina