Preventing a Dog From Peeing on Carpet and Rugs

Preventing a dog from peeing on the carpet, especially repeat performances, can be a frustrating process, but there are solutions to this problem. This is a guide about preventing a dog from peeing on carpet and rugs.

Dog Standing on Carpet
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

My dog keeps urinating on my rugs! He pees repeatedly on my 2 shag rugs which are 5 ft. X 8 ft. and these are not easy to clean since the yarn on the carpet is so long! I tried hanging them outside and spraying them down with the hose. Nothing seems to deter him! Please help how can I clean my shag rug and help potty train at the same time.

Jennifer from Slatington, PA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Can you wash these rugs? If so, add a cup of vinegar to the rinse water. It usually helps to eliminate the odor of the urine. Once an animal urinates somewhere they will go back to the odor to do it again.

If you can figure out when your dog goes to the bathroom, take him outside to the area that you want him to use as his bathroom. Do this until he starts going there on his own. This doesn't usually take too long once the urine smell is established in that one area.

This is how I have always potty trained my dogs and it always worked for me. You just have to watch closely to figure their potty times at first. It's wise to feed them at the same time each day to get them on a schedule. Good luck!

Best Answer

Made from nature's safest and most effective X-O ODOR NEUTRALIZER

CALIFORNIA VETERINARY SUPPLY

www.calvetsupply.com

1800-366-3047

I have cats but I'm down to only 2, I found X-0 about 25 years ago it works, it is a bit pricey but it will last a long time, the directions on the bottle says to mix it 50/50 with water but I put 1 oz per cup of water and This works just fine.

I had a friend borrowed my spray bottle because someone threw a dead cat in the church dumpster in the summer, she sprayed the dumpster, it totally eliminated the odor, the dumpster wasn't picked up for 4 days after she did not have to spray again. Both my mail and female have a tendency to spray, if I catch them at it I can spray immediately

(Because I know where they sprayed) there is no odor.

Since Im not always sure where they sprayed I mist everything from my knees down every now and then and I have no smell, I even spray outside.

ingredients: extracts of herbs, fruits and cereal grains in pure deionized water.

X-O neutralizes all odors on hard and soft surfaces. Effective on ALL odors. Safe for skin contact, avoid the eyes.

Totally non-toxic and bio degradable, this concentrate works directly on areas for odor neutralization, or even on the air in a room. Can be used indoors or outdoors. Can be used directly on the animals, if necessary.

Best Answer

I take my 2 little dogs out before bed time, and always tell them to go wees, it works all the time, so matter where we are I just tell them ;go wees. Now I don't have any more problems with them.

Read More Answers...

I have just lost my older dog, who had bladder problems. I had to have her put to sleep a couple of weeks ago. I know my Yorkie Poo has grieved for her. Now all of a sudden she has peed on the rug just like the older dog would do, although I got a new area rug. Could this be the reason? She has always been trained to use puppy pads and has been very good about it. Your thoughts please?

By M.V. Adams

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

The yorkie has made a mistake. She thought the old dog was peeing on the rug for a reason. She did not realize it was a medical condition. Now that he is gone she has taken over the peeing on the rug duties. You should be able to train her out of this, but she might be confused for a while.

Read More Answers...

We have just had to move in with my in-laws, they have 3 inside dogs. I have a 20 month old daughter. These dogs are 10 yrs old and up, so there is no trying to train them to go outside. They pee everywhere and we step in it. The whole house smells awful.

They have a really nice house and very expensive furniture, but it doesn't seem to bother them. My grandmother told me that I could mix ammonia and water and spray it lightly on the carpet, that the dogs won't pee where I spray it! Is this true, if not is there something I could spray without hurting my daughter?

Ashley from Gadsden, AL

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Avoid using ammonia based products to clean dog urine. One of the ingredients of dog urine is ammonia and he may well be encouraged to re-offend in the same area. Remember, your dog's sense of smell is a hundred times better than yours. I would suggest vinegar and water, something to neutralize the smell.

Here is a site I found for a homemade Dog Urine Smell and Stain Remover. I hope this helps.

http://www.dogchatforum.com/dog_urine_odor.htm

Best Answer

I'm sorry but if it's in carpet unless you replace it you might as well forget it. You could rent a steam cleaner and use vinegar and water in it before the solution a couple of times and use the other attachments to do the bottom on the furniture also take the whole cushions to the laundry mat and wash the whole thing (don't take the foam out) *and let them air dry on a really hot day. I don't know how long it would take to dry the in the dryer.

And as far as the dogs put them in a crate and try to be persistent if you can stand the whining they will probably do. You'll have to be on a routine taking them out like 6am, 11am, 3 pm, 8 pm, etc. and reward them or put baby gates up maybe separating them in an area where there's a wipeable floor. There's no easy answer. I am sorry. I assume at one time they were trained, but I have had the same problem. A doggie door to a porch, a place in the basement a big circle where they can't get out where they can play and where the parents and the dogs can see each other (maybe in the crate) so even if they messed it would at least be in the crate. Good luck!

Read More Answers...

I have a 15 yr old blind Maltese that is peeing on my rugs. Is there a spray or something I can do?

By Laura

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

We had a female Labrador once who lost the ability to properly control her bladder. We had a doggy diaper and everything. Then the vet put her on oestrogen pills. Problem solved.

Read More Answers...

How can you stop your dog from peeing on rugs in your home?

By D Robertson from GA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

To know how to prevent it would require more information. Your dog may be having physical problems that require a Vet. That is usually the best place to start. Does your dog require more training, or need more walks and better access to the outside. Is your dog stressed from other new dogs in the neighborhood or stressful situations within the home? There are a lot of posts on this site that deal with specific situations like this that give more detail. Do a search. Good luck with your dog.

I have a 2 year old Morkie who is trained to go on the wee wee pad. We recently moved to a new apartment with carpeted floors where as the previous apartment was hardwood floors. Now instead of using the pad she likes to go on the carpet. She won't use the pad at all and I tried buying the attractant spray. I also tried placing her on it to remind her and she still wants to go on the carpet instead. What should I do?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My sister's 2 beagles have a doggy door right next to my niece's play area, but they insist on peeing on the rugs she buys to put down in the area. This will be her 3rd rug from Home Depot. It is always light colored carpet. I read somewhere they like light colors?

By gvargas

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

The beagle's vet has much knowledge and experience in canine behavior and can help with suggestions to help the dogs learn the correct behavior.

How do I stop my dog peeing on my rug? It's always the same corner. I have a dog flap, and she only does it when I have a rug.

By Jen D

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

The information you provide about your dog's behavior is not enough to suggest an answer . He may have a medical issue or a situational problem. Please take your dog to your vet for help. The vet can help with medication, if needed, and can provide suggestions to help you help your dog improve his behavior.

Should I smack my dog when she pees on the rug?

By Kimberly

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Look hard at whether you are holding up your responsibilities towards your pet. Is your dog fed and watered on a schedule that encourages her to potty when she is taken outside? Is she taken outside frequently enough? Is she exercized enough that she does not have a lot of nervous energy? Does she have any medical issues tht might interfere with regular elimination (urinary tract infections)?

Perhaps answering these questions will help to determine who needs correction. Smacking your dog will teach her to fear you and not listen to you, and you will be worse off than when your started.

Read More Answers...

I'm fostering this lovely dog from a shelter. She will go outside and do her thing, so no problem there, but she is in the habit now of going upstairs and to wee on a rug in the hallway. I removed the rug and now she did it in our bedroom. Do you know why she does that and what can I do about that?

By Saskia H

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Put up a baby gate across the stairway and close bedroom door so the pet won't wet in these areas. Keep the dog outside longer and walk it around so it eliminates all.

I have had my dog for 4 years. In that time he has not done that and now he has done it 3 times. He was 4 when I got him. He pees on the carpet in front of the door. I also need help on a different note. This same dog barks at my TV. What do I do?

By Sheli from Lisbon, IA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I think the reason your dog might be barking at the TV could be a high pitched noise he might hear from it. Or relating to the colors being displayed if its on.

Is there a solution, either store bought or homemade, that I can use in my steam cleaner that will prevent my dogs from urinating on my carpets?

By Lindsay from MO

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I don't know if you can use it in a steam cleaner, but equal parts of white vinegar and water sprayed on the area where the dogs have urinated will stop them from going there again. I would check with the manufacturer to see if it's safe to use vinegar in the machine.

Pets Dogs AdviceMarch 22, 2013
    A package of cornmeal.
    Dry Carpet Cleaner Recipes
    Repairing a Burn Hole in Carpet, Upclose photo of carpet.
    Repairing a Burn Hole in Carpet
    Dog Peeing on Another Dog
    Dog Peeing on Another Dog
    guilty dog
    Dog Peeing and Pooping Inside
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 27, 2016 at 4:04:42 PM on 10.0.0.239 in 363 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.