Browsing: Preventing a Dog From Peeing on Carpet and Rugs

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Preventing a Dog From Peeing on Carpet and Rugs

Preventing a dog from peeing on the carpet, especially repeat performances, can be a frustrating process, but there are solutions to this problem. This is a guide about preventing a dog from peeing on carpet and rugs.

Dog Standing on Carpet
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

June 24, 2007 Flag

My dog keeps urinating on my rugs! He pees repeatedly on my 2 shag rugs which are 5 ft. X 8 ft. and these are not easy to clean since the yarn on the carpet is so long! I tried hanging them outside and spraying them down with the hose. Nothing seems to deter him! Please help how can I clean my shag rug and help potty train at the same time.

Jennifer from Slatington, PA

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Can you wash these rugs? If so, add a cup of vinegar to the rinse water. It usually helps to eliminate the odor of the urine. Once an animal urinates somewhere they will go back to the odor to do it again.

If you can figure out when your dog goes to the bathroom, take him outside to the area that you want him to use as his bathroom. Do this until he starts going there on his own. This doesn't usually take too long once the urine smell is established in that one area.

This is how I have always potty trained my dogs and it always worked for me. You just have to watch closely to figure their potty times at first. It's wise to feed them at the same time each day to get them on a schedule. Good luck!

Best Answer

Made from nature's safest and most effective X-O ODOR NEUTRALIZER

CALIFORNIA VETERINARY SUPPLY

www.calvetsupply.com

1800-366-3047

I have cats but I'm down to only 2, I found X-0 about 25 years ago it works, it is a bit pricey but it will last a long time, the directions on the bottle says to mix it 50/50 with water but I put 1 oz per cup of water and This works just fine.

I had a friend borrowed my spray bottle because someone threw a dead cat in the church dumpster in the summer, she sprayed the dumpster, it totally eliminated the odor, the dumpster wasn't picked up for 4 days after she did not have to spray again. Both my mail and female have a tendency to spray, if I catch them at it I can spray immediately

(Because I know where they sprayed) there is no odor.

Since Im not always sure where they sprayed I mist everything from my knees down every now and then and I have no smell, I even spray outside.

ingredients: extracts of herbs, fruits and cereal grains in pure deionized water.

X-O neutralizes all odors on hard and soft surfaces. Effective on ALL odors. Safe for skin contact, avoid the eyes.

Totally non-toxic and bio degradable, this concentrate works directly on areas for odor neutralization, or even on the air in a room. Can be used indoors or outdoors. Can be used directly on the animals, if necessary.

Best Answer

I take my 2 little dogs out before bed time, and always tell them to go wees, it works all the time, so matter where we are I just tell them ;go wees. Now I don't have any more problems with them.

I have a mini pin a shitzu a black lab and another shitzu these dogs refuse to go outside they are ruining my carpet I have tryed everything to get them to stop I've left them out all day and yet they will come in and urinate and poop on the floor. What do u concider to do. I am to the point where I am getting rid of all of them. The urine stich is horrible le n I just got new carpets. Please help.

February 3, 2015 Flag

I have just lost my older dog, who had bladder problems. I had to have her put to sleep a couple of weeks ago. I know my Yorkie Poo has grieved for her. Now all of a sudden she has peed on the rug just like the older dog would do, although I got a new area rug. Could this be the reason? She has always been trained to use puppy pads and has been very good about it. Your thoughts please?

By M.V. Adams

Best Answer

The yorkie has made a mistake. She thought the old dog was peeing on the rug for a reason. She did not realize it was a medical condition. Now that he is gone she has taken over the peeing on the rug duties. You should be able to train her out of this, but she might be confused for a while.

We also lost our older male dog who had special things about him and we noticed our female dog began picking up those traits of his and acts a lot like him now. She was never much for being a guard dog like our male, but now she has resumed his habit. We don't understand why, but perhaps it's something that is strongly remembered and creates a bond whether the habit is good or bad. Whatever the cause, we have a part of our older dog with us too.

Dogs do teach each other and they learn quickly to repeat those things. That's why it is easy on us when we introduce a new pup in the household and our older dogs are teaching them to go potty by observation and repetition. One dog will sniff out the place where the other dog peed and use it. You may even notice strong traits your older dog had that your other dog is now doing besides the in house bathroom duty.

January 18, 2008 Flag

We have just had to move in with my in-laws, they have 3 inside dogs. I have a 20 month old daughter. These dogs are 10 yrs old and up, so there is no trying to train them to go outside. They pee everywhere and we step in it. The whole house smells awful.

They have a really nice house and very expensive furniture, but it doesn't seem to bother them. My grandmother told me that I could mix ammonia and water and spray it lightly on the carpet, that the dogs won't pee where I spray it! Is this true, if not is there something I could spray without hurting my daughter?

Ashley from Gadsden, AL

Best Answer

Avoid using ammonia based products to clean dog urine. One of the ingredients of dog urine is ammonia and he may well be encouraged to re-offend in the same area. Remember, your dog's sense of smell is a hundred times better than yours. I would suggest vinegar and water, something to neutralize the smell.

Here is a site I found for a homemade Dog Urine Smell and Stain Remover. I hope this helps.

http://www.dogchatforum.com/dog_urine_odor.htm

Best Answer

I'm sorry but if it's in carpet unless you replace it you might as well forget it. You could rent a steam cleaner and use vinegar and water in it before the solution a couple of times and use the other attachments to do the bottom on the furniture also take the whole cushions to the laundry mat and wash the whole thing (don't take the foam out) *and let them air dry on a really hot day. I don't know how long it would take to dry the in the dryer.

And as far as the dogs put them in a crate and try to be persistent if you can stand the whining they will probably do. You'll have to be on a routine taking them out like 6am, 11am, 3 pm, 8 pm, etc. and reward them or put baby gates up maybe separating them in an area where there's a wipeable floor. There's no easy answer. I am sorry. I assume at one time they were trained, but I have had the same problem. A doggie door to a porch, a place in the basement a big circle where they can't get out where they can play and where the parents and the dogs can see each other (maybe in the crate) so even if they messed it would at least be in the crate. Good luck!

Forcing an animal to live outside is not the answer. Please take this dog to the Vet, he or she can help you.

Jennifer

Northern Virginia

You can move out of the house :), big health hazard for everyone involved, especially infants.

April 22, 2015 Flag

I have a 15 yr old blind Maltese that is peeing on my rugs. Is there a spray or something I can do?

By Laura

Have your dog checked for diabetes if she is urinating a lot more than usual and/or drinking a lot more water. It is easy to treat and they feel much better.

We had a female Labrador once who lost the ability to properly control her bladder. We had a doggy diaper and everything. Then the vet put her on oestrogen pills. Problem solved.

Treating the diabetes does not help with the peeing in the house. My 5 year old malti-poo pees on our good wool area rug regularly despite constant trips to the vet, insulin injections twice/daily and special foods. The peeing inside has gotten worse since the diabetes and the volume of water she drinks and urine she pees is huge. Our vet said not to use the doggie diapers on our female because it would encourage bladder infections.

The problem is NOT medical related. Most of the time dogs that were once potty trained (like my maltipoo) can randomly abandon that training out of jealousy or other emotions... That's the situation that I'm experiencing too. It's annoying and nothing seems to work... I want some sort of spray that repels our discourages dogs from peeing on my rugs

February 7, 2014 Flag

How can you stop your dog from peeing on rugs in your home?

By D Robertson from GA

Best Answer

To know how to prevent it would require more information. Your dog may be having physical problems that require a Vet. That is usually the best place to start. Does your dog require more training, or need more walks and better access to the outside. Is your dog stressed from other new dogs in the neighborhood or stressful situations within the home? There are a lot of posts on this site that deal with specific situations like this that give more detail. Do a search. Good luck with your dog.

December 27, 2014 Flag

My sister's 2 beagles have a doggy door right next to my niece's play area, but they insist on peeing on the rugs she buys to put down in the area. This will be her 3rd rug from Home Depot. It is always light colored carpet. I read somewhere they like light colors?

By gvargas

The beagle's vet has much knowledge and experience in canine behavior and can help with suggestions to help the dogs learn the correct behavior.

Load More
Pets Dogs AdviceMarch 22, 2013
A package of cornmeal.
Dry Carpet Cleaner Recipes
Repairing a Burn Hole in Carpet, Upclose photo of carpet.
Repairing a Burn Hole in Carpet
Dog Peeing on Another Dog
Dog Peeing on Another Dog
guilty dog
Dog Peeing and Pooping Inside
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 24, 2016 at 9:40:58 AM on 10.0.2.239 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.