House Trained Dog Pooping Inside

It is frustrating and confusing when your house trained dog backslides. This is a guide about what to do when a previously house broken dog has started pooping in the house.

Previously House Broken Dog Has Started Pooping in the House
Filter Sort

Question: Housetrained Dog Going Inside Again

By Ree G. 4 1

My almost three year old Boxer mix has been housetrained for the last two and a half years with no problems; until now. Over the summer, I let her out to potty, and she happened upon a cat in the shed. Of course, she chased it all over and ran it out of her territory, like every other instance a cat was in the yard. But, this time the cat who was guarding kittens, fought back, and they ended up in quite the tangle before I got them to stop it.

Since then, every time I let her out, she goes straight to the shed instead of doing her business. (No new household members, no medical problems, no moves or anything to stress her.) When I have taken her out, I've leashed her, chained her, tried to reward her with treats, stood with her, everything, but still, she only looks for cats. It's like she has the taste of blood now and that's all she wants. She's also become quite aggressive to other animals, even more so than before. I have no way to keep cats away, but I'm running out of ideas to make her stop.

It doesn't happen during the day much, but every night she potties on the kitchen floor. She knows it's wrong and hides and ducks her head and tail when she knows I am going to see it. I take her out 5+ times a day so she has ample opportunities. I don't have enough space for her to be crated since it has to be such a huge area, and she just jumped over or knocked down the baby gates. I don't want to give up on her because she is a great dog otherwise, but my landlord is going to make me "get rid" of her. I am not in a financial position to move so she has to stop. Any ideas?

I've been told to push her face into her mess and tell her no, then take her outside. That seems cruel to me. I don't want to lose her. She's a member of our family and we love her dearly.

By Ree

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By moneypenny1982 1 Flag

Totally agree with other posters about NOT putting the dog's face in the poo. If anything it will just make your problem worse. Even yelling at your dog when they are in the act can be bad because they think you don't want to SEE them poo (not that it's the location you're mad about), and they end up hiding from you, pooping in corners, etc. Then you create a fearful situation for your dog on top of the one you've already got.

Just stay calm & focus on how to fix the problem. Yes it's poop but it's also just poop - let's face it, you come into contact with some everyday. It can be cleaned. (I have worked at a hospital for 6 years.) I am fostering a dog who just had puppies - she's majorly pooped on my carpet several times in the past few weeks & I am so tired of cleaning up poop. I was going through housebreaking with my puppy this time last year. I KNOW how frustrating it feels. Give her plenty of time to walk outside, extra potty breaks if needed. Get your veterinarian to do a health check. Think about hiring a dog trainer for a few sessions. The BEST way to help your pet with behavioral issues is positive reinforcement and opening (not closing) the lines of communication. Praise your dog when she does what you want. Make sure you are interacting with her. Has anything changed - like a move or new person in your life, new work hours, etc?

Positive goes so much further, it just takes time and patience. Your dog wants to please you but your job as her owner is to help her understand how to do that. People who yell at their dogs or push their faces in their own poo aren't teaching the dogs anything but fear, nothing about WHAT TO DO. Puppy classes (& the dog trainers) helped me so much with potty training my puppy. Even now, fostering this stray dog who was living outside, she immediately started pooping on my floor at night. She didn't know what a leash was and wouldn't poop unless she could hide in the woods, especially not with me watching. She would just plop down and look at me. Eventually she couldn't hold it anymore and she'd have an accident overnight while I slept. Now 2 weeks later, she's actually waiting at the door and ready for her leash, having no problem doing #1 & #2 in the grass while I stand next to her. I've never yelled at her after going inside. I praise her when she goes outside with me. She still has accidents but they are becoming less and less frequent. I think her progress is amazing - like night & day. There is hope for you & your dog! Good luck to you!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Older Dog Pooping in the House

I was wondering why that my older dog is starting to potty in the house. She is 14 years old, but this just started like 3 weeks ago. How can I stop this? She is housebroken and has been for years. Can you give suggestions to help? Thank you so much.

By Patricia

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Gloria Z 10 256 Flag

I agree with Lizzyanny you should take the dog to a vet to be checked. I can't imagine how embarrassed that poor dog is when this happens. Please don't scold or punish your dog when this happens. She might have cancer or something else but you won't know until you take her to the vets.

I once adopted a dog and the third night she was with me she wet the carpeting. I was so mad at her I hollered at her. But then it happened - She started to cry - tears were streaming down her face. I never knew a dog could cry and I've had a lot of them. I felt so bad that I had hurt her feelings that I broke down and cried too and promised never again to scream at her. She was one of the best dogs I ever had God rest her soul.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: House Trained Dog Pooping In House

By sceeter 1

My boyfriend moved in with me and my dog 3 weeks ago. Zoe is completely house broken and has been since she was 3 months old. She is now 20 months. When Rick comes home she quickly changes and tucks her tail almost like she is scared and drops poop. Rick has never done anything wrong in fact he hasn't even touched her, she won't allow it. She is not aggressive towards him, but appears scared and drops poop, while starring him down and staying away. Why?

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Abigail A. 15 1,032 Flag

This is a sign of fear.

It is possible that Rick is innocent, so don't show him the door just yet. One of your previous boyfriends might have harmed her psychologically.

Rick will have to be on board with this to straighten it out. His body language is probably all wrong. He should sit on the floor, hands relaxed and limp, and not look at the dog. Just near the dog. You can do this while watching tv if he doesn't get too distracted to remember: No broad gestures with hands or arms.

Eventually she'll get used to him just being there and not being harmful. But it might be a while for her to warm up to him.

He should NEVER: Try to pet her, lean over her, or talk directly to her. He should not try to play with her.

He should: Feed her whenever he's there and it's time.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Dog Pooping in House After Losing Sight

dog sleepingI have a 9 year old wire-haired Dachshund that was successfully potty trained as a puppy and has not had any issues with that until recently. Last summer she started to behave strangely until in September she completely lost her eyesight and was diagnosed with SARDS.

After this the problems started. She has somewhat learned to move around the house again independently and has gained a lot of activeness back, but she has also started doing her business in the house when we are at work or during nighttime. We take her out in the morning before work and right after getting back and she eats one meal a day around 6pm. Then she gets out once or twice in the evening, at least right before we go to bed. She doesn't ask to be taken outside at all anymore like she used to before. Recently she has pooped inside a couple of times even when we are home. She doesn't seem to have trouble pooping and the poop looks normal to me. There have been no notable dietary changes either.

I'm out of ideas what to do with her and my husband is starting to get fed up with this and wants to get rid of the dog. Any tips or guesses what could be wrong would be really helpful!

By Hanna from Finland

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Lizzyanny 9 1,251 Flag

I lived with an old blind dog for many years. He could see shadows but not much else. He learned to go outside by himself, but it took awhile. The cat would walk up and down the stairs with him until he was brave enough to go on his own. It is an adjustment and does require some patience. Imagine the patience your dog requires to make this adjustment. My dog lived to be 17 years old and truly enjoyed life. Good luck to you.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: House Trained Dog Pooping Inside

We rescued an 8 year old Chihuahua mix. She's been with us 3 weeks. She was outdoor potty and piddle pad trained by the foster mom. She never has an accident peeing, but a couple of times now she's pooped in the house. If she can't get out she uses the piddle pad to pee, but only once has she used the pad to poop. We get her outside often during the day. I'm a little concerned how do I reinforce her to either poop outside or use the pad? Dog sitting with front paws up. Closeup.

By Louise M.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Best Answer

By heather inwood 13 229 Flag

Scoop up her poop and place it in the area of garden that you would like her to go - leave it there for a while - each time you take her out put her face near the poop to get the scent. After meals is a common time to poop , usually within 1/2 hr with my dog or during exercise.

Never physically punish the wee one as this may already of happened to it and she may fear you. By the look of this wee dog it will be well worth the trouble to keep her - it is adorable & will return the love you give it 10 fold.

Best wishes

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Previously House Trained Dog Pooping and Peeing in House

Puppy on couch.My 2 year old pup was house broken. She was trained with bells and everything. Now she is pooping and peeing in the corner 1 foot from the door almost every day. How can I make this madness stop? I'm about ready to get rid of her. I'm loosing my marbles here. I got so mad this morning, 6:45 and I'm steam cleaning the carpet. I have had it! I work hard, come home, and have to do more work. It has to stop.

By Tyson R.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Lizzyanny 9 1,251 Flag

I agree with the other posters you need to have her checked out by a Vet. Also keep in mind that dogs do not behave to aggravate you. There is usually an explainable reason if you keep dog psychology in mind. Is your dog getting a adequate daily walk? Does he have a medical problem? Is he threatened by new dogs in the area. (can he see them out the window) Have you changed to a new dog food? If you go through these questions and others, you might get an idea of what you can do to improve the problem. Your anger makes your dog afraid, and a fearful dog is twice as hard to understand and train. Good luck.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: 7 Year Old Boxers Peeing in the House

By Jade S. 1 1

Boxers on the couch.I have two male Boxers that are very territorial. We got a new dog about 3 years ago, everything was fine until he hit puberty and that's when the problems started. The Boxers had been potty trained for 4 years, they started marking territory and fighting so badly that we eventually decided to give the new dog to a different family. Since then we have moved and it has only gotten worse. They pee on the bed if you leave the door open. They were left for 30 minutes with the back door open and they peed right next to the open back door. I'm pretty sure they are mad that I'm leaving, but the peeing everywhere has got to stop. I was thinking about going back to kennel training like when they were puppies, but I'm not sure if that is the right thing to do. What do you guys think?

By Jade S.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Jade S. 1 1 Flag

Thank you so much for your response. They are still intact, and they have been to the vet and other thing is fine as far as bladder issues are concerned. I trained these dogs when they were puppies but then I left for school for 3 years, and unfortunately my parents ( who I love dearly) are not the best pet owners, and this is the situation I have returned to!

They have had several changes especially within the last year, but now that I am back I would really like to get them back on the right track.

I was concerned that re-introducing crate training, would do more harm then good but I am getting ready to start working and I don't want them to pee everywhere, while I am gone.

So, thank you for your knowledgeable advice, and I am going to start crating them immediately, so that by the time I go back to work they will hopefully be a little more comfortable with it!

Thanks again,

Jade S.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Elderly Dog Pooping Inside

I have a 17 year old Chow Chow/sheltie. She's started pooping in the house sometimes. She is stiff when walking around, joint supplements in her food have helped that and she is no longer in need of anti-inflammatories. She doesn't squat great, but has some better days than others. It isn't during bad weather. She doesn't pee inside. It isn't diarrhea or loose stool. Sometimes it's really hard, other times it is normal.

We have a doggie door for our dogs that is open night and day, and she uses it all the time. She knows that it is wrong. She will go outside 5 times within an hour, walking around the house, in/out over and over, and then poop on the floor next to us at the computer. She'll be half squatting with her tail up and just start going as she's walking around the house. Sometimes it is on carpet, sometimes it is on the linoleum.

I've tried making her go outside every time she wakes up. She's a happy, loving dog and isn't in pain other than a bit stiff when getting up (so am I, but you're not putting me down either.) She still plays and trots around a lot.

I mentioned it to the vet the last couple of times she was there and they just said "she's old and is starting to lose her ability to know when she needs to go". She doesn't pee inside though. The only other time she has accidents is when she goes to the vet. It does scare the poop right out of her and that is just nerves.

We have one other dog that she's lived with for 10 years. They have never fought over food, toys, or territory. They're both spayed.

Any helpful suggestions are appreciated.

By Cassee

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By beckydurfee 7 Flag

My 15 year old Samoyed started pooping every time she got up off the floor. It seemed like she strained so hard that she pooped in the process. It's part of an aging dog and your dog can't control this. Sorry

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Dog Pooping in the House

Several times this month my 1 year old Boxer has started pooping in the house. She poops 15 feet from the door. She was trained to ring the bell to go outside. She has been trained since 4 months of age.
    What should I do?

By Donna from Colorado Springs

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Lizzyanny 9 1,251 Flag

There could be many things causing this change in behavior. Sometinmes dogs get scared by something outside, that you may not even notice. Sometimes they just dont want to go out in the rain. I would be sure to see a Vet. and then begin a retraining plan.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Previously House Trained Dog Backsliding

Dog in box.My year old Havenese has been potty trained for a month now and she just today pooped in front of the house door. Every time I bring her out she sometimes won't go. I was getting dressed when she had to go and I don't want to punish her. Do I still say that she is fully potty trained? Or start all over again. Help please!

By Amber T.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By NewYork2Texas 13 Flag

I think that we'd need more information..such as....Is she spayed? If so, how long ago? The changing of hormones could influence her. Has anything in the household changed? Have you changed feeding times?

I've fed my 3 dogs in the evening around 6pm. That way their digestive system is ready to empty the next day. Try to have only one feeding time. If you feed her treats throughout the day, her digestive system will always want to empty. Animals are the same as humans. When we eat dinner, we go the next day. Thank you for not punishing her. She didn't do it on purpose. I strongly believe that she'd rather do her business outside.

P.S You posted an adorable picture. The love that you give her, she'll give you much more in return.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Previously House Trained Dog Pooping in the House

MalteseMy 3 year old trained Maltese has started to do #2 if I leave her alone to go on an appointment. I'm not gone for more than an hour. I make sure she has been outside in the morning to do her necessities. When I return, I see the "gift" she has left me. It seems she is trying to get back at me. I'm very frustrated because she has never done this before!

By Lily F

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By heather inwood 13 229 Flag

PS. I made the pen with 4 large pieces of wooden garden lattice from the hardware store which are hinged together on 3 sides - leaving a gate effect. I then lined the lattice with plywood - stapled it on with housing staple gun to prevent the dogs climbing the lattice. Then I put gate latch's on to keep the gate end closed. Works great.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Previously House Trained Dog Pooping on the Floor

My 6 year old Maltese is potty trained and has started pooping on the floor at any given time. We are a busy family, but nothing has recently changed. There is no certain time that this problem takes place. Can anyone help?

By SWS

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Joyced 1 Flag

I wish I knew I have a 7 year old Maltese that is doing the same thing as yours. I have had him for 6 years and he has never done this before. I take him outside to the fenced yard and refuses to go. I am ready to scream. If you find a solution please let me know.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Previously House Broken Dog Has Started Pooping in the House

By Linny 1

I have a Sheltie that is about 11 months old and she is going poop in the house after I have taken her out. Sometimes she is out a long time, but won't go! She has been potty trained for a while! I work night shift and I am going through a divorce. Could she be stressing herself? If so what do I do? She is a very playful puppy and we all play with her! How do I take care of this problem?

By Linny from Park Hills, MO

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By sharon rentel 1 Flag

You can get a product called (Off) they are dog pads. If you watch where you buy them they are reasonable. I have a 5 year old Pekingnese. I use them. He always goes to them. Also watch coupon websites for help on paying for them.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: 4 Year Old Dog Started Pooping Inside

By Jessie Mai W. 1

For the past 4 days, our 4 year old female terrier cross has been pooping inside, when the door to go outside has been open. She has been trained to do her business outside from 4 months of age, my dad is close to getting rid of our family pet. Does anyone have any ideas what may be wrong? We haven't moved houses in over a year, though they don't get out regularly due to me being in school, my dad working, and my brother is in college from 8:40 am to 3:30pm. She has different food every week, but the same brand. My Border Collie is fine, he'll go outside, but she will do it when no one is looking or they're out of the room. Please help!

dogs on the beach

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Lizzyanny 9 1,251 Flag

This is a tough one because you don't have a lot of control over what is going on. Can you be sure she gets out whenever you are home? Perhaps you can take her out yourself and play with her for awhile. Or your brother could see that she gets out when he 1st gets home. She should be able to wait between 8am and 3:30pm. Sometimes dogs just prefer to go in the house because they don't like going out in the rain. If someone goes with her she may stay longer and get the job done. Good luck. You sound like a great pet owner.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

We have a 5 year old American Cocker Spaniel, she was crate trained at 6 months to pee and poo in the guest toilet. Recently she has been pooping all over the house mostly right in front of us and sometimes with guests around. This is very confusing since she still pees in the right place. We changed her food a couple of weeks ago, could this be a reason? Any advise?

By Taniya

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Best Answer

By nelliemary 22 63 Flag

Dogs like a regular routine, If you feed them the same time every morning and no snacks between and go with them to toilet for a few weeks they will know what you expect. Have patience and don't yell if they forget. With consistency your dog should be fine.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Dog Pooping in House When Left Alone

white Poodle type dog in living roomI have a 6 year old rescued Poodle and she has always been housebroken. She goes back and forth between my house and my mother's. Six months ago I bought a house two doors down from my mom, both of our yards are fenced and I put a doggie door in.

This last month she has started pooping in the house while I am at work. When I am home or weekends she uses the doggie door. Obviously she is punishing me for going to work! How do I fix this issue?

By Donna

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Abigail A. 15 1,032 Flag

There are more questions that need to be answered here. Are you leaving her home alone while you are at work, or is she with your mom? How long did it take you to fully complete the move? How often do you walk her and where do you go? Does she play with or see other pets or dogs? Is she spayed?

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

My mini Schnauzer is almost 4 years old and fully house trained. He used to come to my bed, if we're sleeping, to wake me up to take him out. He no longer does this and poops on the floor. He is very aware that he is wrong because he hides after he does it. Why is this happening now?

By Shirley

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Abigail A. 15 1,032 Flag

Make sure you are walking your dog. It's easy to think that mini and toy breeds can be indoors all the time except for potty breaks, but this can actually cause a fear of the outdoors. Make sure you walk your dog around the neighborhood every day so he doesn't get the idea that something scary is out there.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: House Trained Dog Peeing and Pooping Inside

My Jack Russell/Border Collie cross is 16 months old and was fully house trained up until 8 weeks ago. He has started pooping in the house again and it's not that he's not getting outside to go because we let him out nearly every 2 hours. Sometimes if it's wet it would be longer. He never poops while anyone is with him, but tonight for example I just let him out to go to the toilet then put him in his bed and I came to bed myself. After 15 minutes I had to go downstairs for something and he had done four poops and had done a pee. This is happening most nights now and I don't know what to do as he gets to the toilet loads of times. I don't want to put him in the kennel out in my shed, but if this keeps up I'll have no choice. Any help would be brilliant.

By Rachael McC from Ireland

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Abigail A. 15 1,032 Flag

There is definitely something wrong here. Four poops in 15 minutes after he's already been out? Be sure to tell the vet what you've been feeding him, including dog food, people food and treats. Don't fib about the amount of people food or treats he's getting.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Beagle Pooping in the Kichen

Beagle sleepingWhy has my 7.5 year old Beagle begun pooping in the kitchen? She is somewhat house trained, meaning once in a great while she pees on the carpet. My family and I had moved to a house about 3 blocks (literally) away from our old house and the previous owner had a dog who peed on a certain spot. Now when my dog peed there (about 3 times) I thought it was a "marking" over the other dog's pee.

Recently she had to go to a vet for painful back and neck problems. That was about a month ago and because of that, basically she had gone on a diet. She was heavier before and that was hurting her. Well now she thinks she's starving and actually poops on the floor just so she can eat it. Yuk! She goes out about 4-5 times+ a day and barks when she has to go out. No problem. In the morning she is also let out. Big problem. I think she's holdoing it so she can go inside and eat it over again. She is fed 2 times a day and still gets treats (although not many). But my point is: does she also think they are a present to me? Help!

By Michaela M.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Abigail A. 15 1,032 Flag

Your dog's nutritional requirements aren't being fulfilled. Your vet put her on a diet for being overweight. This is correct. However, what food is she eating? Is it a very high quality food? If the food is too "cheap" you can't cut back too much, since the dog won't get the nutrition it needs.

Also, have you cut the calories drastically? It would be better to cut down slowly. Make sure she gets more exercise. This will help her lose weight without having to suddenly cut calories drastically.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Dog Pooping and Peeing in Basement

Our GSD is afraid of noises. So when some snow feel off the roof the dog starting peeing and pooping in our basement. How do we stop her from doing this?

By Gloria from Bingham, ME

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Lizzyanny 9 1,251 Flag

It sounds like your dog may have an anxiety based behavior problem. There are medications that can help this. You will need to talk with your Vet about what may be appropriate. It can be helped.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Dog Defecated on Owner's Bed

After letting my 1 year old dog out last night, he wouldn't have his usual last wee. He instead asked to go back indoors. He ran up to my bedroom and pooed on my bed. Help, I don't understand why he would do this.

By Lou from Lowestoft, Suffolk

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By jean99 6 30 Flag

Have you or anyone else he deems to be in his pack been away lately? Did he try to cover it? He may be trying to tell someone where home is. My neighbor's cat did that when her daughter went away to college.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Adopted Dog Pooped in House and Not Eating Dry Food

My boyfriend just rescued an 8 year old Shih Tzu from someone we know. They took the dog from someone that was going to put her down. He has only had her for a week. She will pee outside, but has pooped in the house twice. She is also not eating her dry food.

I talked to the people who had her before him, and they said she would eat just about anything. I was thinking that maybe she is just being picky, or that it is her new environment. I tried mixing the dry food with the wet. She will pick out the wet and eat it. After a while when the dry food was in the liquid of the wet food, she did eat some of it.

I was wondering if anyone had any helpful tips or tricks? Thanks in advance!

By Brandi

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Best Answer

By ilovesophie 20 164 Flag

My sister's poodle would only eat wet food or dry food that had sat in water. She took it to the vet and found out the dog had infected teeth. Maybe that's why your dog will only eat the wet food. I would have her teeth checked.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Dogs Peeing and Pooping in House

By samanddisney 1

I have two German Shepherds. The male is 11 years old and the female is 5 years. On average 3-4 times a week, I am coming down stairs to pee and poo, and it's getting to the point of looking for new homes as it seems things I do don't stop the behaviour. I can tell which one it is from the puddles. I thought it was behavioural as sometimes they can go for months fine. The male I can understand is age and it generally is an excited trickle when I get up. The female I'm stuck. She is young enough to hold it. Last night I took them for a walk then went straight to bed at 11pm. I woke up at 6 and could smell something was wrong and found 3 female puddles and a poo. I was hoping walking them late would work. It's always in the same place, as they can't get past the dinning room thankfully, but if she can, she'll get in the lounge and do it there. Any suggestions please, I don't want to get rid of her, but it's not looking good

By Sam

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Lizzyanny 9 1,251 Flag

Try crating your female dog at night.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: 2 1/2 Year Old Starting Peeing and Pooing Inside

By Hayley L. 1

I have a 2 and a half year old male Staffy. He was house trained from a pup and was doing fine, but I'd say for the last 6-8 months on and of he has been weeing in the kitchen on the floor and up the walls. I've tried spraying things, tried him on calmeeze tablets which seemed to work for a while. We went away for a week, 2 weeks ago and left him at home in his own environment with a family friend he knows well and since then he wees and poos in the kitchen. He gets let out in a morning till 9 sometimes 11, then my dad lets him out at dinner between 1 and 2.30, then again when we get back from work at 5. He has no bladder problems. I'm beside myself and don't no what to do :-( x

By Hayley L

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By NEWFIEGIRL 8 421 Flag

Did your Veterinarian tell you the Dog has no bladder problems? And is he castrated?

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Dog Pooping and Peeing in the House

Recently my boyfriend and I moved into a new house. My 4 year old dog had been living at my parents house for the past year because of our living situation. He never pooped and peed inside and now for the past 3 weeks he has pooped and peed inside everyday. He goes outside and does his business as well. He is a amazing dog and I know he is having separation anxiety as well because he is trying to escape by tearing at the windows. He is ruining our new carpet. What should I do? I don't want to send him back to my parents.

By Anissa o.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By tricia minter 24 47 Flag

I moved last year into my childhood home after both parents passed. Before I moved, I took my 2 dogs there several times just so it would be familiar with them when we made the final move. Also, give them things that are familiar to them such as all toys, bedding, or anything they had living with your parents. Try to keep them busy while they get used to all the new things there. Give them lots of love and attention. Remember how stressful moving is for you because it's the same for our pets too.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Dog Pooping Inside and Not Obeying Commands

Small terrier.I have a four year old mixed terrier. She is a loving dog and has so much love to give, but when she doesn't get her own way she does the toilet on the floor. Sometimes she tries to hide it other times she doesn't. This doesn't happen often, but is starting to become more and more of an everyday thing.

She has moved houses a few times in the last few years, but it's gotten worse since we got to our new house. The previous owner did not have a dog, cat, or another pet in the house and we have washed the floors countless times just in case its to do with a scent she doesn't like.

She gets walked three times a day, once in the morning, once when we arrive home after our working day and finally just before we go to bed and successfully does the toilet.

Recently she has became a wee jealous soul always wanting to be up on the couch or up on the bed and doesn't take a telling when we tell her to get down. She also doesn't like being left alone and starts barking and howling then does the toilet all over the floor and it seems she like shes doing it on purpose.

So recently we got a wee kitten and things have just gone from bad to worse. The dog doesn't listen to anything and ignores us and turns hear back on us and pretends to not hear us. She keeps us up all night jumping up and down on the bed and still does the toilet all over the place.

I really don't know what to do. We give both of them the same amount of attention and love, but nothing is getting any better.

By Kris

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By lblobogirl 4 12 Flag

animals are not like people, they really don't know they are doing wrong, they are just doing what they do. The best way I have found to get good behavior is to reward it well and ignore bad behavior so it is not repeated. I think she is hiding it because she is so confused. We potty trained our dogs so that they could go whenever they wanted or needed to go and all we had to do was pick up the paper and throw it out. None of my dogs have ever had a bladder infection from trying to hold in their business nor have we had messes to clean up or have we had to rush home to make sure they got out. She can still learn to do this:-) It will be a lot easier on both of you:-)

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Previously House Trained Dog Peed in Owner's Bed

After over a year of being house broken, my dog wet our bed last night?

By Janet B.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Lizzyanny 9 1,251 Flag

I would be suspicious of bladder infection. If I saw any other accidents or change in behavior, I would take some urine in for analysis.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Puppy Suddenly Stopped Using Pads

My dog is only about 6 months old, but has been going faithfully on the puppy pad until recently! Now he just goes anywhere. I put his nose in it and spank him, then place him on the puppy pad. The one day he did go on the puppy pad I cheered him on and gave him a treat. But the next day he was back to peeing on the floor. Hitting him is just making him aggressive. But he is suddenly going all over the house. It is making me so frustrated! I'm pregnant and I don't want him to be aggressive when the baby gets here. I don't know what to do. And I always feel bad for hitting him. Help please.

By Ebonie O.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Sherri 10 551 Flag

DO NOT hit your puppy... ever! You are teaching him to be afraid of you and he will not trust you. Hitting any animal is cruel. Please have patience with him or give him to a person that will take care of him and train him properly. I am sorry to sound so harsh but so many animals are mis-treted for things they know nothing about.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: 14 Year Old Dog Peeing in House

We just adopted a kitten and our 14 yr old dog has started to pee in the house. Is this jealousy or a health problem? We have never had to deal with a house trained dog suddenly doing this.

By Liz M.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Lauren M. 2 Flag

I honestly think it is just a coincidence and perhaps the dog has a health issue. My dog was 17 when she passed and that is a long life for a dog so 14 is pretty darn old too. Just bear with it and love the dog no matter what. He/she needs your support not stress.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Previously Housebroken Dog Peeing and Pooping in the House

How do we stop our 6 year old dog from pooping and peeling when left home with our 10 year dog? We have a doggie door that they use.

By Caron

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By NEWFIEGIRL 8 421 Flag

You never said how long this has been happening and in any case if they have both used the "doggy door" before. I suggest you consult your Veterinarian to see if your Dog has a Bladder problem. Good luck.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Dog Pooping in the House at Night

Patterdale Terrier.My three year old Patterdale terrier is fully house trained and has been since she was a pup. We have not moved houses, changed her diet, or had any stress at home that she could pick up on; however, she has begun to poop on the downstairs rug at night while we are asleep. She appears to be normal in all other aspects and knows that she's wrong in hiding, etc. We take her out on at least 3 long walks a day and she goes out to the lawn in between. Why is she doing this?

By Sob

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Marlene 20 53 Flag

Have her anal glands checked. I know it sounds weird but their glands around the anal get clogged with waste and it gives them the feeling of having to "go". Does she scoot on the floor? That is a sure sign. Also if she has any lower back problems it may cause a pressure on her bowels.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Previously House Trained Dog Pooping in the Kitchen

My nearly 4 year old Labrador who has been fully house trained for years now has suddenly decided to poo (3 times!) and wee in the kitchen when I had gone to bed. He is acting normal apart from the obvious and I haven't changed his diet, and cannot begin to think why he has done this. Can anyone help me please?

By Katie

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By brittoj04 1 Flag

This is happening because most dogs suffer from seperation anxiety because to the dog you are a member of its pack so it wants to be with you all the time so its best if you let the dog sleep in the same room as you.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Adult Dog Started Pooping and Peeing in House

I have a wiener dog who is about 5 years old. He never use to go potty in the house except for very rarely. For about 6 months now every few days he will go in the house. I will let him outside along with my other dog many many times during the day and night. We have had both dogs for over a year and they are both adult dogs. They play together and everything so I don't think that it's any problem with the other dog.

I will let the dogs outside and leave them be out there for 20 minutes to a half hour, sometimes longer. Both dogs have had free range of the house until recently. We have gotten a kennel for the wiener dog. He goes in his kennel only when he is naughty, otherwise we allow him to go all over the basement and kitchen (no carpeted areas). They get let out at about 8am and every 2-3 hours during the day and the last time at night is around 2-3am. He doesn't do it at night. Just during the day when we are all home. Sometimes he will go out and come in and within 10 minutes he goes on the carpet.

I don't know what to do. I have tried all the potty training tips that I have used on all my other animals. I give him lots of praise when he goes outside, along with treats. I don't think that it's a medical issue because it's not just pee or poop, it's both sometimes. I'm debating on getting rid of the dog because I can't get him to stop. Please help!

By Amanda

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Sherie King 6 Flag

Dachshunds are sometimes difficult to house train and I sometime think that they feel if they pee on it is theirs. Mine is a constant struggle with my wiener dog peeing in the house.

Now I use a Velcro closed belly band that I sewed myself. I change it when he makes a marking mistake. Maybe something like that with regular scheduled walks would help you.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Previously Housetrained Dog Peeing and Pooping Inside

Lab Pit mix at the beach.I recently moved and brought my 7-8 year old Lab/Pit mix with me. He has been moved a few times before and has never had this problem. About a week or so after moving he started peeing and pooping in the house. I corrected him with a spanking and making sure he went on even longer walks in the mornings and evenings, because that is his routine.

He stopped for a week or 2 and then I decided to get a kitten and now it's worse than before. I can walk him and 15 minutes later if I don't watch him 24/7 he will pee or poop in the same spots in my living room. I have tried changing his feeding routine, longer walks, and cleaning the carpets, and now he has to be confined to a bathroom when we leave and I don't like it =( Anyone please help me figure it out.

By Andy

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Robin Harrison 80 Flag

First of all, spanking a dog after the fact never does any good. They don't understand why you are hitting them. They don't associate going to the bathroom with corporal punishment and it only makes them more fearful - exactly what you don't want to happen.

It could be that there was a dog inside your new house that peed everywhere and now that your dog is in the space, he is trying to get rid of that scent by replacing it with his own. Again, all "normal" dog behaviors. Adding a cat just made the urge to stake out his territory even stronger.

You should try to clean the carpets and any places he goes with a good cleaner that breaks down the enzymes in the urine so all traces of smell are removed. Good idea about the longer walks - the will certainly help. Also, when he does potty outside, praise him big time "Good boy! Good boy go potty!" so he starts to understand peeing/pooping outside is pleasing to you. You might even have to involve treats at first.

And, as frugalsunnie said, make sure to get him checked out by a vet to eliminate any medical conditions like UTI.

Good luck - don't give up on him - he is worth it!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Dog Poops in the House at Night

By Stacey Silva 54 466

My dog is potty-trained and does really good, the only thing is when I take him out right before we retire for the night, he simply will not poop, no matter how long we sit out there or how many times I take him out to try. Then, in the morning, I'll find poop on the carpet. How do I fix this problem? What can I do? Thank you!

By Stacey from Eagle Mountain, UT

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Myrna 17 1,083 Flag

You could regulate feeding time earlier in the day, so the dog can empty before the end of the day OR take the dog on a long walk of an evening. This helps to get things moving and the dog may well empty before your journey has ended. We take our dogs around our field and they love the evening walk and do all their business before going back into the house for the night. Good luck.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Previously Housebroken Dog Has Started Urinating and Defecating in the House

By Chris 1

I have a 11 year old female golden Lab, who over the last few months has been urinating and pooping in the house. This is since my daughter has moved back in the house with her boyfriend and baby. Could this be psychological or her age? What can we do?

By Chris from Chicago, IL

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Angela 1 1 Flag

Thank you guys for your advice! I actually changed her food to a brand with no corn or wheat and only filled her water bowl half way. She has not had an accident since. And she is warming up to the new baby, she used to stay away from him. We also just moved into a house from an apartment, with a large fenced yard, she now has free reign and can potty at her leisure. Again, thank you for your feedback, it was indeed helpful.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Housetrained Dog Doesn't Like the Rain

By Rachelle L. 1

We got our 3 year old Rat Terrier rescue during the summer when our back door was always open, and he pooped and peed in the yard like a champ. Now that it's rainy and cold, he's pooping in the house and damaging the carpet. Do I need to keep him kenneled any time he's in the house?

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Dog Pooping Inside

By Kimberley 1

My 2 1/2 year old Lab mix has started pooing in my basement. His environment hasn't changed in any way. Will be getting him fixed help with this problem? He is hardly ever alone and goes outside a lot.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Load More

Archive: Previously House Broken Dog Has Started Pooping in the House

I have a 3 year old pup that never pooped inside the house unless she was sick and we recently moved in (in the past 6 months) with my partner and her dog. Her 2 year old pup has taught my 3 year old good girl pup to poop in the house.

Her dog just never got trained and we've tried everything short of crating her (my partner won't). I don't know what to do, my girl never did such things and now she seems to think it's okay even though they both get in trouble when they go in the house. Help!

My partner has a Cairn Terrier and I have a 1/2 Spitz, 1/2 Border Collie. I love these girls but I'm at wits end with them. Any ideas for training the other pup and getting mine to stop? I've even brought myself to diaper the little one in order to make her stop. Is it too late for training?

Trish from Washington DC

Feedback:

RE: Previously House Broken Dog Has Started Pooping in the House

Crate training is not mean or cruel to dogs. It is natural for a dog to be a den animal and they actually like the crate when taught properly to use it. Your dog probably started because of the residual smells throughout the house. Your dog is confused as to where is the proper place to go. The only way I know to train them is to confine them, because dogs don't want to relieve themselves where they will have to lay in it if at all possible.

Only other thing I can think of is to watch them 24 hours a day for a couple weeks and take them out like you would a puppy and praise them for going outside and catch them sniffing around the house before they have a chance to go inside. Crate training is easier. You could also board your pups for a few weeks in a good kennel that takes the dogs out frequently, then they can house train them while you clean your carpets professionally. (02/14/2008)

By junebug_000

RE: Previously House Broken Dog Has Started Pooping in the H

Hi! Do you feed the dogs from a big bowl so they eat whenever they want? That should stop. Do two feedings at exactly the same time each day and their bowels will respond on a schedule you all can live with. And don't overfeed. Are the dogs fat?

Are the dogs being walked at all? They need at least a half-hour of exercise morning and night, every day. Crating the dogs after being exercised is not cruel, however forcing dogs to live in a stressful home, where they are constantly getting in trouble, is cruel.

I think using a trainer that can make house calls and getting some couples therapy for the humans is in order. Invest in solving this problem so you can have a nice clean home if for no other reason. And yes, not too late for training. For the dogs either. (02/15/2008)

By Bonnie

Write to the dog whisperer show and ask for a good source of information. Also, get enzyme cleaner or use white vinegar where ever you know they have gone.

But first, train yourselves. 15 minutes after they eat solid food take both for a walk and don't come back until they've pooped. Put up food so you have control over when they eat solid food. Of course leave water down. You must be firm with yourself, no matter how tired you are; no excuses. You will also enjoy the walks (2 times per day). Until they are trained, take them out yourself, don't just let them out, so it will be a positive moment for them.

In our family, I had to take our puppies out, because everyone in the family lacked self discipline but me. However, I don't like cleaning up poop, and I don't like to hear others whining. I guess I didn't train my kids right. At least I got the dog thing right. (08/13/2009)

By PIKKA

My older dog has been sick and is now pooping and peeing in the house. What to do?

By Jonnab from CO

Feedback:

Could be suffering with arthritis. Vet him. Maybe get him on Duramax for pain and as an anti-inflammatory. Natural product you might try a horse med that works on dogs with some pretty bad problems called Next Level out of Valley Vet. 800 419 9524. Keep me posted, please. (09/29/2009)

By muttmom

My 3 year old racing Greyhound cross Alsation has in the first week peed on my bed and then 2 days ago she has pooped on my bed? Would you know why and how do I combat this? She is full trained. Please help.

By gobbit from west Midlands, UK

Feedback:

Have you sprayed the affected areas with vinegar? Maybe you can go back a step and restart praising and giving a treat to the dog when she does her business outside. (12/08/2009)

By jtithof

Please take her to the vet. Rarely do animals change their behavior for no reason. (12/10/2009)

By Maryeileen

Please help. Both of my dogs have started to poo and wee in the house. They are house trained with their own room and doggie door to the garden. But over the last 3 weeks on and off they have started messing in the house. We haven't had any changes to the household so I'm stuck as to why they both have started doing it. Please help.

By Angela from Windsor, England

Feedback:

Separation anxiety maybe? My German shepherd is completely housebroken as long as I'm around, but she keeps pooping in the house whenever I'm gone for more than 15 minutes! It's a tough problem to crack. (03/02/2010)

By Trippay

Pets Dogs House TrainingAugust 20, 2012
      ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
      A broken green dish in several pieces
      Reusing Broken Dishes
      Old black dog.
      Old Dog Peeing in House
      A no dog pooping sign in someone's lawn.
      Keeping Dogs From Pooping on Grass
      guilty dog
      Dog Peeing and Pooping Inside
      © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 6, 2016 at 8:14:10 AM on 10.0.2.231 in 8 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesQuestionsArchives
      NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
      Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
      BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
      CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings