House Trained Dog Pooping Inside

Previously House Broken Dog Has Started Pooping in the House
It is frustrating and confusing when your house trained dog backslides. This is a guide about what to do when a previously house broken dog has started pooping in the house.

I have a Chihuahua/Dachshund mix who is 5 years old. She is trained to go to the bathroom outside, but recently has been continuously going to the washroom inside on the carpets. I'm not sure if it's the cold weather or if she's mad at something and that's why she keeps doing it, but it's really frustrating. Even after bringing her outside, she'll come inside and poop on the rug right away. I'm not sure what to do!

Answer Was this helpful? 1

My dog is one and a half years old and house trained. Though he has pooped inside about about 4 times in one night. He is house trained, I do not understand why he has done this. I feed him raw meat and he is active and take him for walks almost everyday

We rescued an 8 year old Chihuahua mix. She's been with us 3 weeks. She was outdoor potty and piddle pad trained by the foster mom. She never has an accident peeing, but a couple of times now she's pooped in the house. If she can't get out she uses the piddle pad to pee, but only once has she used the pad to poop. We get her outside often during the day. I'm a little concerned how do I reinforce her to either poop outside or use the pad?

By Louise M.

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Best Answer

Scoop up her poop and place it in the area of garden that you would like her to go - leave it there for a while - each time you take her out put her face near the poop to get the scent. After meals is a common time to poop , usually within 1/2 hr with my dog or during exercise.

Never physically punish the wee one as this may already of happened to it and she may fear you. By the look of this wee dog it will be well worth the trouble to keep her - it is adorable & will return the love you give it 10 fold.

Best wishes

My almost three year old Boxer mix has been housetrained for the last two and a half years with no problems; until now. Over the summer, I let her out to potty, and she happened upon a cat in the shed. Of course, she chased it all over and ran it out of her territory, like every other instance a cat was in the yard. But, this time the cat who was guarding kittens, fought back, and they ended up in quite the tangle before I got them to stop it.

Since then, every time I let her out, she goes straight to the shed instead of doing her business. (No new household members, no medical problems, no moves or anything to stress her.) When I have taken her out, I've leashed her, chained her, tried to reward her with treats, stood with her, everything, but still, she only looks for cats. It's like she has the taste of blood now and that's all she wants. She's also become quite aggressive to other animals, even more so than before. I have no way to keep cats away, but I'm running out of ideas to make her stop.

It doesn't happen during the day much, but every night she potties on the kitchen floor. She knows it's wrong and hides and ducks her head and tail when she knows I am going to see it. I take her out 5+ times a day so she has ample opportunities. I don't have enough space for her to be crated since it has to be such a huge area, and she just jumped over or knocked down the baby gates. I don't want to give up on her because she is a great dog otherwise, but my landlord is going to make me "get rid" of her. I am not in a financial position to move so she has to stop. Any ideas?

I've been told to push her face into her mess and tell her no, then take her outside. That seems cruel to me. I don't want to lose her. She's a member of our family and we love her dearly.

By Ree

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Totally agree with other posters about NOT putting the dog's face in the poo. If anything it will just make your problem worse. Even yelling at your dog when they are in the act can be bad because they think you don't want to SEE them poo (not that it's the location you're mad about), and they end up hiding from you, pooping in corners, etc. Then you create a fearful situation for your dog on top of the one you've already got.

Just stay calm & focus on how to fix the problem. Yes it's poop but it's also just poop - let's face it, you come into contact with some everyday. It can be cleaned. (I have worked at a hospital for 6 years.) I am fostering a dog who just had puppies - she's majorly pooped on my carpet several times in the past few weeks & I am so tired of cleaning up poop. I was going through housebreaking with my puppy this time last year. I KNOW how frustrating it feels. Give her plenty of time to walk outside, extra potty breaks if needed. Get your veterinarian to do a health check. Think about hiring a dog trainer for a few sessions. The BEST way to help your pet with behavioral issues is positive reinforcement and opening (not closing) the lines of communication. Praise your dog when she does what you want. Make sure you are interacting with her. Has anything changed - like a move or new person in your life, new work hours, etc?

Positive goes so much further, it just takes time and patience. Your dog wants to please you but your job as her owner is to help her understand how to do that. People who yell at their dogs or push their faces in their own poo aren't teaching the dogs anything but fear, nothing about WHAT TO DO. Puppy classes (& the dog trainers) helped me so much with potty training my puppy. Even now, fostering this stray dog who was living outside, she immediately started pooping on my floor at night. She didn't know what a leash was and wouldn't poop unless she could hide in the woods, especially not with me watching. She would just plop down and look at me. Eventually she couldn't hold it anymore and she'd have an accident overnight while I slept. Now 2 weeks later, she's actually waiting at the door and ready for her leash, having no problem doing #1 & #2 in the grass while I stand next to her. I've never yelled at her after going inside. I praise her when she goes outside with me. She still has accidents but they are becoming less and less frequent. I think her progress is amazing - like night & day. There is hope for you & your dog! Good luck to you!

I have a 12 month old Cocker Spaniel cross. She was rescued from a puppy farm and while she is lovely, she has been hard work to house train. On the whole she is good and we keep our back door open to give her easy access to the garden where she will pee and poo, though occasionally she will poop in our sitting room on our rug. We are at a loss to understand how to fix this and any suggestions would be really appreciated.

Best Answer

It's possible she keeps smelling the spot. It's hard to get rid of the smell because a cocker spaniel's sense of smell is 40 times more powerful than a human's.

I have a Sheltie that is about 11 months old and she is going poop in the house after I have taken her out. Sometimes she is out a long time, but won't go! She has been potty trained for a while! I work night shift and I am going through a divorce. Could she be stressing herself? If so what do I do? She is a very playful puppy and we all play with her! How do I take care of this problem?

By Linny from Park Hills, MO

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Anonymous

That's really frustrating answer. I dont want to clean up poop at all! Let alone spend money to train a already trained dog. I'd recomend a crate.

I have two male Boxers that are very territorial. We got a new dog about 3 years ago, everything was fine until he hit puberty and that's when the problems started. The Boxers had been potty trained for 4 years, they started marking territory and fighting so badly that we eventually decided to give the new dog to a different family. Since then we have moved and it has only gotten worse. They pee on the bed if you leave the door open. They were left for 30 minutes with the back door open and they peed right next to the open back door. I'm pretty sure they are mad that I'm leaving, but the peeing everywhere has got to stop. I was thinking about going back to kennel training like when they were puppies, but I'm not sure if that is the right thing to do. What do you guys think?

By Jade S.

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Thank you so much for your response. They are still intact, and they have been to the vet and other thing is fine as far as bladder issues are concerned. I trained these dogs when they were puppies but then I left for school for 3 years, and unfortunately my parents ( who I love dearly) are not the best pet owners, and this is the situation I have returned to!

They have had several changes especially within the last year, but now that I am back I would really like to get them back on the right track.

I was concerned that re-introducing crate training, would do more harm then good but I am getting ready to start working and I don't want them to pee everywhere, while I am gone.

So, thank you for your knowledgeable advice, and I am going to start crating them immediately, so that by the time I go back to work they will hopefully be a little more comfortable with it!

Thanks again,

Jade S.

Several times this month my 1 year old Boxer has started pooping in the house. She poops 15 feet from the door. She was trained to ring the bell to go outside. She has been trained since 4 months of age.
What should I do?

By Donna from Colorado Springs

Answer Was this helpful? 1

There could be many things causing this change in behavior. Sometinmes dogs get scared by something outside, that you may not even notice. Sometimes they just dont want to go out in the rain. I would be sure to see a Vet. and then begin a retraining plan.

My year old Havenese has been potty trained for a month now and she just today pooped in front of the house door. Every time I bring her out she sometimes won't go. I was getting dressed when she had to go and I don't want to punish her. Do I still say that she is fully potty trained? Or start all over again. Help please!

By Amber T.

Answer Was this helpful? 1

I think that we'd need more information..such as....Is she spayed? If so, how long ago? The changing of hormones could influence her. Has anything in the household changed? Have you changed feeding times?

I've fed my 3 dogs in the evening around 6pm. That way their digestive system is ready to empty the next day. Try to have only one feeding time. If you feed her treats throughout the day, her digestive system will always want to empty. Animals are the same as humans. When we eat dinner, we go the next day. Thank you for not punishing her. She didn't do it on purpose. I strongly believe that she'd rather do her business outside.

P.S You posted an adorable picture. The love that you give her, she'll give you much more in return.

We have a 5 year old American Cocker Spaniel, she was crate trained at 6 months to pee and poo in the guest toilet. Recently she has been pooping all over the house mostly right in front of us and sometimes with guests around. This is very confusing since she still pees in the right place. We changed her food a couple of weeks ago, could this be a reason? Any advise?

By Taniya

Best Answer

Dogs like a regular routine, If you feed them the same time every morning and no snacks between and go with them to toilet for a few weeks they will know what you expect. Have patience and don't yell if they forget. With consistency your dog should be fine.

My boyfriend just rescued an 8 year old Shih Tzu from someone we know. They took the dog from someone that was going to put her down. He has only had her for a week. She will pee outside, but has pooped in the house twice. She is also not eating her dry food.

I talked to the people who had her before him, and they said she would eat just about anything. I was thinking that maybe she is just being picky, or that it is her new environment. I tried mixing the dry food with the wet. She will pick out the wet and eat it. After a while when the dry food was in the liquid of the wet food, she did eat some of it.

I was wondering if anyone had any helpful tips or tricks? Thanks in advance!

By Brandi

Best Answer

My sister's poodle would only eat wet food or dry food that had sat in water. She took it to the vet and found out the dog had infected teeth. Maybe that's why your dog will only eat the wet food. I would have her teeth checked.

Recently, my 3 year old dog has been pooping in the house. He's been house trained since he was 2 months old. He's always really good about going outside. He gets let out regularly, but recently he's been pooping inside. Usually he goes in the living room or kitchen right in the open where we can see it. We've recently had a lot of rain, but that's over and it's been sunshine and blue skies. Not even 30 minutes ago he went outside. Peed and pooped, then just pooped on the rug about 10 minutes after he came back inside. He didn't go to the door to be let out, nothing. We haven't had a baby, we haven't moved, there haven't been any big changes in his diet (all solid poops, no diarrhea). When I scold him, I don't hit him or anything. I just show him what he did and in a stern voice ask "What did you do?", never call him bad or anything. Why is he doing this out of nowhere and how can I get him to stop? He's a neutered male Pit Bull Dachshund mix.

Hello. My dog has just started doing this. Did you ever find out why your dog was going inside? Thank you

My Chihuahua Yorkie breed is trained to go outside, but he continues to poop on the beds in the house. It's not just one, it's all three beds that I have. Also his hair is falling out by his bum area, but it feels as if it was shaved but it wasn't.

Sounds like a gland problem in his bum. Take him to the vests mine was the same.

I have a 2 and a half year old male Staffy. He was house trained from a pup and was doing fine, but I'd say for the last 6-8 months on and of he has been weeing in the kitchen on the floor and up the walls. I've tried spraying things, tried him on calmeeze tablets which seemed to work for a while. We went away for a week, 2 weeks ago and left him at home in his own environment with a family friend he knows well and since then he wees and poos in the kitchen. He gets let out in a morning till 9 sometimes 11, then my dad lets him out at dinner between 1 and 2.30, then again when we get back from work at 5. He has no bladder problems. I'm beside myself and don't no what to do :-( x

By Hayley L

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Did your Veterinarian tell you the Dog has no bladder problems? And is he castrated?

How do we stop our 6 year old dog from pooping and peeling when left home with our 10 year dog? We have a doggie door that they use.

By Caron

Answer Was this helpful? 1

You never said how long this has been happening and in any case if they have both used the "doggy door" before. I suggest you consult your Veterinarian to see if your Dog has a Bladder problem. Good luck.

I have a Jack Russel who sleeps in the bathroom at night. My parents don't allow dogs in the bedrooms however they do let her inside. She is 7 years old. She is trained to do her business outside as I take her out regularly and tell her to do a wee and stay with her until she does one. It is also routine to go straight before bed. However, occasionally in the mornings we wake up to poo in the bathroom, never pee.

She normally goes into the bathroom around 10pm and is taken out around 6am. I normally feed her dry food in the mornings before 10am. How can I stop her from pooping in the bathroom? I thought this was just a puppy phase and she needed to get used to controlling her bladder and sleeping in the bathroom, but she's an adult now and still continues this habit.

Our 4 year old chihuahua pees on puppy pad but will not poop on it. She's been to to the vet and is in good health. We are at wits end and don't know what to do

I was wondering why that my older dog is starting to potty in the house. She is 14 years old, but this just started like 3 weeks ago. How can I stop this? She is housebroken and has been for years. Can you give suggestions to help? Thank you so much.

By Patricia

I agree with Lizzyanny you should take the dog to a vet to be checked. I can't imagine how embarrassed that poor dog is when this happens. Please don't scold or punish your dog when this happens. She might have cancer or something else but you won't know until you take her to the vets.

I once adopted a dog and the third night she was with me she wet the carpeting. I was so mad at her I hollered at her. But then it happened - She started to cry - tears were streaming down her face. I never knew a dog could cry and I've had a lot of them. I felt so bad that I had hurt her feelings that I broke down and cried too and promised never again to scream at her. She was one of the best dogs I ever had God rest her soul.

My 6 yr old hound mix has started pooping in a line both inside and out, but even more troubling is that he is pooping at random in house in no particular order. He is very perky and has a dog door. But even on walks he has to poop a bit then the remainder falls out while walking. He had his anal glands expelled and a lower back X-ray with no abnormalities. But he seems unable to get to dog door any more in time to poop. Ideas welcome. He does not struggle to squat, either.

Could he be having some diarrhea? That could be causing the urgency where he cant get to the dog door. Could you try a new dog food? Might help. Good luck.

My 6 month old Chiweenie puppy is trained to go on pad or go outside to potty every time. I put a rug in the bathroom for my shower and he goes on it. He doesn't go on the living room, kitchen, or rug by my bed that he sits on when I'm cooking. He is not allowed to come in kitchen when I'm cooking. Last night he pooped on top of my comforter. He sleeps under the covers on the bed; he is spoiled rotten lol. Help please.

Puppies poop on bedding because it has your scent. It seems to want your company more

At this point I'm really not sure what to do. I have a 10 year old pure bred Pug named Cookie. She's trained to do her daily business inside my home on newspaper, due to Pugs having problems with heat that could possibly cause a heat stroke in a very short matter of time.

She's been wonderful doing so since we started training about 2 months after she was born. But recently, she just started pooping and peeing anywhere in the house. Could it possibly be depression? We had another pet Muffin, a Pekingese/Pug mix who has recently passed away going on three months June 11th 2016 due to old age. She was almost 13 years old. They were very, very close. Muffin was 3 years old when we brought Cookie home, and they were inseparable ever since. And once Muffin passed away she became slightly distant, and it just seems like she may of given up on life all together. She's not herself, the baby girl I know. She seems so miserable, and my heart is breaking for her. I don't know if it could be depression, or possibly an illness. I wanted to see if anyone would possibly know what could be happening, before I take her to the vet. I'm not ready for more bad news with my other baby. Please help me.

Have been there twice My lab died and my toy poodle got very depressed three months later blood tests showed organ failure I got a puppy and problem resolved

Now 11 years later the poodle is gone and the puppy is eleven and the same thing

So we have a new puppy and problem resolved

We got our 3 year old Rat Terrier rescue during the summer when our back door was always open, and he pooped and peed in the yard like a champ. Now that it's rainy and cold, he's pooping in the house and damaging the carpet. It's unacceptable. This is Seattle, it rains all the time. He is put outside to go plenty of times during the day, for long periods of time, especially after eating. I don't know what to do with him. Do I need to keep him kenneled any time he's in the house?

My dog does the same thing. She is a Weimaraner border collie/pit mix, about 60 lbs. She HATES pooping outside if it's wet (which it is all winter, this being the pacific northwest). She's also a walking pooper--she squats and walks to poop....which means she can put individual poops ALL OVER my living room in the time it takes for me to put the other dog in a crate. She ONLY poops on the carpet in the living room, and she won't poop in my bedroom if I'm there and the door is closed. I covered the back yard in bark mulch after the rains hit, which helped for a while, but now she's back to going outside, even pooping a little, then pooping again in the living room once my back is turned. this is strictly a middle of the night or morning thing--the rest of the day it's a non-issue. I'm tempted to try the pee pads in my garage or the covered back porch.

My boyfriend moved in with me and my dog 3 weeks ago. Zoe is completely house broken and has been since she was 3 months old. She is now 20 months. When Rick comes home she quickly changes and tucks her tail almost like she is scared and drops poop. Rick has never done anything wrong in fact he hasn't even touched her, she won't allow it. She is not aggressive towards him, but appears scared and drops poop, while starring him down and staying away. Why?

This is a sign of fear.

It is possible that Rick is innocent, so don't show him the door just yet. One of your previous boyfriends might have harmed her psychologically.

Rick will have to be on board with this to straighten it out. His body language is probably all wrong. He should sit on the floor, hands relaxed and limp, and not look at the dog. Just near the dog. You can do this while watching tv if he doesn't get too distracted to remember: No broad gestures with hands or arms.

Eventually she'll get used to him just being there and not being harmful. But it might be a while for her to warm up to him.

He should NEVER: Try to pet her, lean over her, or talk directly to her. He should not try to play with her.

He should: Feed her whenever he's there and it's time.

I have a 9 year old wire-haired Dachshund that was successfully potty trained as a puppy and has not had any issues with that until recently. Last summer she started to behave strangely until in September she completely lost her eyesight and was diagnosed with SARDS.

After this the problems started. She has somewhat learned to move around the house again independently and has gained a lot of activeness back, but she has also started doing her business in the house when we are at work or during nighttime. We take her out in the morning before work and right after getting back and she eats one meal a day around 6pm. Then she gets out once or twice in the evening, at least right before we go to bed. She doesn't ask to be taken outside at all anymore like she used to before. Recently she has pooped inside a couple of times even when we are home. She doesn't seem to have trouble pooping and the poop looks normal to me. There have been no notable dietary changes either.

I'm out of ideas what to do with her and my husband is starting to get fed up with this and wants to get rid of the dog. Any tips or guesses what could be wrong would be really helpful!

By Hanna from Finland

I lived with an old blind dog for many years. He could see shadows but not much else. He learned to go outside by himself, but it took awhile. The cat would walk up and down the stairs with him until he was brave enough to go on his own. It is an adjustment and does require some patience. Imagine the patience your dog requires to make this adjustment. My dog lived to be 17 years old and truly enjoyed life. Good luck to you.

Load More