Recipes Using Squash

Category Vegetables
Cutting Squash
Squash either the summer or winter varieties can be used in numerous recipes from main dishes to desserts. This page contains recipes using squash.

Easy to make, uses both zucchini and yellow squash, tastes great, and is wonderful for you!

Directions:

Wash squash and remove end pieces. Slice squash into one quarter or less inch rounds. (I use a mandolin). Combine remaining ingredients and pour over squash.

Cover, refrigerate several hrs or overnight, tossing occasionally - makes about 4 cups.

Lasts quite some time in the refrigerator and a spoonful or two added to any meal gives a great contrast. Looks pretty too!

Servings: 10-12
Time:10 Minutes Preparation Time
0 Minutes Cooking Time

Source: from a 1973 newspaper recipe that is no longer being published and whose name I have forgotten.

By NancySparks from Cross Lanes, WV

This is a super easy "surprise" pie, and oh so good. I like it because you put everything into one bowl and pour into unbaked pie shell..very easy! I have made this recipe over and over at Thanksgiving and Christmas time.

Directions:

Throw the first 6 ingredients in a pan and cook them until they are slightly thick. Add the lemon flavoring, pour it all into a pie crust and bake it at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes. Let cool and serve with a dollop of cool whip on top.

Source: My White Trash cooking cookbook my daughter gave me many years ago.

By Virginia P. from Evington, VA

This is a guide about recipes using acorn squash. There are many delicious ways to use this nutritious fall vegetable in casseroles, soups, pies and filled with stuffing.

Using Acorn Squash

Read More... Was this helpful? 1

I love yellow squash! It's a lot more versatile than some people think.

• 2 tsp. olive oil
  • 1 zucchini, thinly sliced
  • 1 yellow squash, thinly sliced
  • 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 cup diced seeded tomato (about 1 large)
  • 1/4 cup (1 oz.) fresh Parmesan cheese, shredded

Directions:

Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add zucchini, squash, garlic, salt, and pepper; sauté 5 minutes. Add tomato and sauté 2 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Sprinkle with cheese. Serve immediately.

Yield: 4 (3/4 cup) servings. WW points: 1 pt.

I keep a jar of minced garlic in the fridge to use for quicker meals. Still tastes great to me! If you grow squash, zucchini, and tomatoes in a garden, this is a very tasty recipe to make and is easy on the wallet.

Source: This recipe is from one of my Weight Watchers cookbooks.

This is a great, summery vegetable recipe! I like it using fresh vegetables right out of the garden!

• 3 Tbsp. butter or margarine
  • 3 cup sliced zucchini or yellow summer squash
  • 3 cup shredded cabbage
  • 3/4 cup chopped green pepper
  • 1 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/8 tsp. pepper
  • 1/4 tsp. oregano
  • 1/4 tsp. thyme
  • 1 Tbsp. vinegar

Directions:

Melt butter in skillet. Add squash and cabbage. Cover and cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes. Uncover and add green pepper. Cook over low heat, turning occasionally with spatula, until squash is tender, about 10 minutes. Stir in seasonings, herbs and vinegar.

Servings: 6
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cooking Time: 15 Minutes

By Robin from Washington, IA

Mixed squash with Kelbasa sausage, cheese, and lots of veggies that's good for special diets, It's especially yummy when turkey Kelbasa is used; even when forced to change from standard north American diet to mostly vegetarian.

Cook squash in a small amount of water in saucepan until tender. Drain well. Combine with next 7 ingredients in large bowl, mixing well. Turn into shallow 2 qt. buttered casserole. Top with crumbs and almonds.

Mix all ingredients well and bake on a cookie sheet pan at 350 degrees F. Bake for 30 minutes.

Wash squash and cut in small pieces. Cut corn from the cob. Skin tomato (the skin comes off easily if they are first dipped in boiling water for 1 minute), and cut into cubes.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Coat jelly roll pan with cooking spray. Trim ends from each squash. Slice squash into 3/4 inch thick rings. Place squash and shallots in single layer on pan.

Buy a large winter squash at the farmer's market or when on sale, cut in 1/2 and bake on cookie sheet in oven at 350 degrees F. until tender (about 1 hour).

I have been given some pattypan squash and I would like to have some recipes for it, as I have never used it. I also need to know if it can be frozen, and how should it be prepared for that?

Thank you,
Jonnie from Alma, AR

Stuffed-Pattypan-Squash:

http://allrecip  uash/Detail.aspx

Pattypan Squash Recipes:

http://www.cook  n_squash,FF.html

Freezing Patty Pan Squash:

http://msucares  ations/p0974.htm

Pattypan squash can be treated like any summer squash, including a zucchini. It can be grilled in thick slices, cut up and added to a stirfry, put into a cream sauce, sauteed in a mixed vegetable saute, and even stuffed after parboiling it for 15 or 20 minutes. Personally, I wouldn't freeze it unless I had a lot of it. I would enjoy it in the summer as fresh off the vine as I could have it. I feel that we all eat too much out of season vegetables and then wonder why the kids don't like their veggies. The kids I have known have all loved fresh veggies right out of the garden, hardly stopping to wash the soil off. However, if you have a super abundance of it, I would grate them up in a food processor (only cutting off the stem and bottom bit first) and then bag it up in one or two cup amounts. This could be used then just like zucchini is in zucchini bread! Enjoy your summer squash!!!!!