Refrigerator's Ice Maker Not Making Ice

Your refrigerator's ice maker may stop making ice, requiring you to troubleshoot the cause before it can be repaired. This is a guide about a refrigerator's ice maker not making ice.

July 5, 2016 Flag

My Kitchenaid side by side fridge/freezer with giant ice maker had an plastic bin. The fridge light was red which meant change filter, so $60 at Lowe's got a new filter. I screwed it in and for 2 weeks I had a full bin of ice. Then last week nothing for 3 weeks now.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Thanks

I changed my water filter and I'm still not getting ice

Read More Answers...

June 17, 2016 Flag

The icemaker on my Kenmore side by side refrigerator stopped making ice. I have already replaced the water filter once in February when it stopped making ice the first time and that fixed the issue. It is now June and it has stopped making ice again and I went out and purchased another filter, replaced it, and it did not fix the issue this time.

What could possibly be the issue? It went from being over full a week ago to not making ice. How do I fix the issue myself without it costing an arm and a leg because it's not my refrigerator, it belongs to the owners of the house and the landlord isn't required to fix it because the ice maker is a luxury not a necessity.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

my whirlpoolimperial series in-door ice dispensing system makes only a couple cubes a day. plenty of water pressure at the dispenser.

January 31, 2016 Flag

My ice maker hasn't worked in a month. I have put hot boiling pots in to defrost it as that's what my repairman told me to do once when it was whining and groaning. He thought line was frozen. If it was frozen this didn't help the icemaker to start up again. We have water in the dispenser in the door, but no water is running in to the ice tray.

I just turned off the water and took off the dispensing valve out of the fridge to try and see if the line is clear going up to the freezer. I don't know how to take off the green waterline going up to freezer because it's the new self setting type. I have also changed the filter about two weeks ago before I started any of this. Can anyone tell me what to do?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I changed the water filter, but no ice

April 28, 2015 Flag

I have a Whirlpool side by side. My ice maker is no longer producing ice. It looks like the water is being sent to the ice maker, but the water is frozen on the side walls and on the food in the freezer. How do I repair this?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You can consult your owner's manual and request service from a local technician. You can also check the manufacturer's website support for additional information. A very easy online search for Whirlpool support produced many answers. You can try a search yourself or this site to start-read the FAQ section also:

http://www.whirlpool.com/support/

July 6, 2012 Flag

My ice maker would not make any ice. I replaced the ice maker and still no ice. I have replaced the filter too. I hit the reset button on the fridge side, but I have a red light flashing on the ice maker control switch in the freezer. I have turned it to the "off" position and the red light is still flashing. I have no clue what to check next. What do you think is wrong?

By Glenda

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Biggest question: Do u have a manual for your fridge? If you do, there is usually common troubleshooting near the back. It should also have manufacturer's address and toll free number. If no manual, Try the manufacturer's name with .com added and you might get a website with a forum where other owners could help u. and get a manual you could print out on your computer.

It is interesting how no one will touch on the number one reason why Ice makers fail. As a technical advisor for a major corporation, I see 95% of Ice making failure is inadequate door suction(seal) issues. The temperatures become unstable with warm air seeping into fresh food door if not suctioning to front of frig. When temperature sensor senses the warmer air, the controller keeps the compressor running overtime to maintain the 37 degrees in the fresh food. This will cause the freezer temp to fall below zero, which will freezer the tip of the water tube that provides the Icemaker with water. It is a fact that anytime the freezer drops below zero, the defrost cycles can no longer maintain a thawed water tube for the IM. Please keep in mind that the controller's main priority is the fresh food, since a 3 degree increase will cause rapid food spoilage.

The door suction must be maintained. Most technicians as well as "so called experts" are totally unaware that the doors need to be self closing. The doors are big suction cups. A suction cup needs pressure to stick. The doors need their own weight to press them, through use of the earth's gravity. The leveling rollers or legs need to be adjusted to provide a tilt back of the frig to enable the earth's gravity to get ahold of these doors/drawers. Suction will happen while compressor is active, due to air flow; the compressor shuts down and all suction is lost. Just as your dart fell off the mirror when you shot your dart at the mirror as a kid, so does the frig doors from the front of frig. If you tilt the frig back, your doors will be heavy to the front of the frig cabinet and will suction. Temperatures will stabilize in frig and freezer. Within 24 hours, the defrost cycles will thaw the water tube and ice production will start.

Obviously there can be other variables that can contribute to bad suction, such as a damaged door gasket. One should always be looking for the obvious.

Read More Answers...

May 12, 2012 Flag

I have a GE Profile Arctica, Model# PSS25NGMD WW. There is no ice in the bin, I put power to fill solenoid, tray filled and dumped a batch of ice, but does not want to take over and repeat the cycle on its own. To me the bin switch looks in the call for ice position. I need advise and thanks you. Frosty.

By Harland O

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Welcome to the world of fixing your own fridge. I saved a lot of $ by doing so. You can download the schematic and manual for your fridge using the model #, then go to PartsPlace.com or an appliance parts website and order the part yourself.

For no ice, it could be a number of things. Youtube even has some good diagnostics! What really clinched it for me was asking a friendly technician that I knew who was able to pinpoint my issue; we ordered the parts from a local place, then drove 13 miles (each way) to pick up the part, installed ourselves.

We saved about $400 by placing parts ourselves on our GE Side by side. I'm sorry I don't have a specific answer for your specific question though.

I pull a need filter in yesterday afternoon how long does take make ic

Read More Answers...

December 29, 2013 Flag

Our refrigerator is a Frigidaire and we just replaced the water filter, but now it is not making ice, any clues? It is a Pure Plus water filter. I'm thinking is the filter is on too tight. My husband replaced it, but I cannot turn it that is why I am thinking it might be too tight. Also, when he took it off there was water in filter holder cup.

By Rose D

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Had just replaced the water filter, a Pur for a Whirlpool side by side refrigerator, and the ice maker stopped working. Took it out and the ice maker started working without the filter in. Now, on to the next step of letting the ice maker proceed for a few cycles without a filter, then seeing what happens with the new filter reinstalled. Never had the issue before and have replaced the water filter many, many times over the last 10 years.

May 5, 2013 Flag

I've seen this question asked many times before, but never paid much attention because it didn't apply to me - now it does! What do I need to check before calling a repairman? Thanks very much!

By caseye

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Several have already mentioned but the hair dryer worked wonders for me. My fridge would dispense water but would not fill the ice tray and dispense. I opened the freezer door and pointed the hair dryer to where the ice tray fill line comes in for a few minutes and it worked like a charm. Later the motor on the ice machine stopped working and using the hair dryer on it thawed it out as well. Haven't had a problem since.

February 18, 2013 Flag

I have a Whirpool Elite refrigerator and freezer on bottom. It's 2 years old. I put in a new water filter and checked the water line. Water is being dispense from the refrigerator. The model #795-71062 010. Before I buy a new ice maker, any suggestions?

By GK

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Check to see if an ice cube is jammed in the tray. If so work it out and the Ice Maker will work properly. Mine does this once in a while. Hope this helps.

January 23, 2007 Flag

I have a side by side fridge, with a built-in ice maker. One has to open the freezer to get the ice. Anyway, I get frozen hunks of ice along with the ice cubes that drops into the ice bin. I have to use an ice pick to break up the clumps of ice. What causes this and how can I correct this problem without calling the repair man? Also, It continues to make ice and If I do not remember to lift the arm that stops ice forming it will fall out of the full ice bin and go all over in the freezer.

Thanks in advance,

Mary from Mendenhall, Mississippi

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

It sounds like your freezer isn't cold enough. It is allowing a tiny bit of melting in the heat of the day and then it freezes everything into blocks when the freezer doesn't have to work so hard to stay cold. See if adjusting the temp colder by a little bit helps.

July 22, 2011 Flag

The icemaker in my KitchenAid refrigerator model KSSC48QMS00, makes ice sometime and sometimes it doesn't. I have changed the ice maker and still have the problem. What can I do? Thank you.

By Floriberto R.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have the same problem. But I started noticing the ice cream wasn't frozen as well as it should have been either, sometimes it was, sometimes it wasn't. Then I noticed I wasn't hearing the frig cut off or on anymore. My frig is old, so I'm having a new one delivered tomorrow. You didn't say how old yours is. Repairmen are so expensive, $180 just to come out. The refrigerator section works fine, just the freezer compartment not working right. Don't want to even keep it in the basement for drinks, maybe it's running all the time trying to "freeze" stuff and running up my electric bill. I bought a new one at Home Depot for $699.97 total including delivery, set up, installing the ice maker, and hauling off the old one. Not fancy, just like the old one.

May 9, 2011 Flag

My ice maker quit making ice. I changed the filter and water came out of the water dispenser but nothing for ice making

By Penny

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

The water line to the icemaker is probably clogged or even has frozen. Find where it is attached (you can look online for your make or your appliance booklet} and remove the tube, clean, or melt the ice buildup.

April 24, 2010 Flag

My White-Westinghouse ice maker does not work. What is the problem?

By Dottie from Huntsville, AL

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Call the place you got it from, good luck.

November 5, 2009 Flag

My ice maker is not working on my Kitchenaid fridge.

By Darryl

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Water line may be crimped or clogged.

March 11, 2008 Flag

I bought an ice maker kit from the local Menard's. I hooked it up and it is still not working. The water dispenser inside of the fridge gives out water but I only get 1 or 2 cubes per cycle, if I'm lucky.

Brian from Hamilton, MI

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I'd bring it back !

December 16, 2010 Flag

My ice maker has stopped working, What can I do at home before calling expensive repairman? It is getting water and does not appear to be leaking.

By Sandy from St. Louis, MO

Answers:

Ice Maker Not Working

Ours would quit every summer and start working when the temperature cooled off. My husband turned the freezer temperature cooler this year and it is working great! (08/19/2010)

By towersmom

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Load More
Home and Garden Repair Appliances Ice MachinesJanuary 26, 2013
Refrigerator's Ice Maker
Refrigerator's Ice Maker Leaking Water
Refrigerator Ice Maker
Refrigerator Ice Maker Not Getting Water
Crushed Ice
Ice Maker Only Dispensing Crushed Ice
Ice Maker
Ice Maker Not Dispensing Ice
🎉
🎄