Browsing: Refrigerator's Ice Maker Not Making Ice

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Refrigerator's Ice Maker Not Making Ice

Your refrigerator's ice maker may stop making ice, requiring you to troubleshoot the cause before it can be repaired. This is a guide about a refrigerator's ice maker not making ice.

Refrigerator
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

July 5, 2016 Flag

My Kitchenaid side by side fridge/freezer with giant ice maker had an plastic bin. The fridge light was red which meant change filter, so $60 at Lowe's got a new filter. I screwed it in and for 2 weeks I had a full bin of ice. Then last week nothing for 3 weeks now.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 17, 2016 Flag

The icemaker on my Kenmore side by side refrigerator stopped making ice. I have already replaced the water filter once in February when it stopped making ice the first time and that fixed the issue. It is now June and it has stopped making ice again and I went out and purchased another filter, replaced it, and it did not fix the issue this time.

What could possibly be the issue? It went from being over full a week ago to not making ice. How do I fix the issue myself without it costing an arm and a leg because it's not my refrigerator, it belongs to the owners of the house and the landlord isn't required to fix it because the ice maker is a luxury not a necessity.

May 31, 2016 Flag

I have a Kenmore top mount refrigerator, model number 253.7481240k purchased in 2009. I replaced the copper hose that had a kink in it, now the ice maker will not come on at all. What could be the problem?

April 28, 2015 Flag

I have a Whirlpool side by side. My ice maker is no longer producing ice. It looks like the water is being sent to the ice maker, but the water is frozen on the side walls and on the food in the freezer. How do I repair this?

You can consult your owner's manual and request service from a local technician. You can also check the manufacturer's website support for additional information. A very easy online search for Whirlpool support produced many answers. You can try a search yourself or this site to start-read the FAQ section also:

http://www.whirlpool.com/support/

July 6, 2012 Flag

My ice maker would not make any ice. I replaced the ice maker and still no ice. I have replaced the filter too. I hit the reset button on the fridge side, but I have a red light flashing on the ice maker control switch in the freezer. I have turned it to the "off" position and the red light is still flashing. I have no clue what to check next. What do you think is wrong?

By Glenda

Don't know what it is, however, using the manufacturer and model number, go to the manufacturer site, find the support site, and using the model number search for blinking red light. Or just use the manufacturer, model, and blinking red light in a search engine. Usually the manufacturer has a help line you can call and speak to a technician.

Biggest question: Do u have a manual for your fridge? If you do, there is usually common troubleshooting near the back. It should also have manufacturer's address and toll free number. If no manual, Try the manufacturer's name with .com added and you might get a website with a forum where other owners could help u. and get a manual you could print out on your computer.

May 12, 2012 Flag

I have a GE Profile Arctica, Model# PSS25NGMD WW. There is no ice in the bin, I put power to fill solenoid, tray filled and dumped a batch of ice, but does not want to take over and repeat the cycle on its own. To me the bin switch looks in the call for ice position. I need advise and thanks you. Frosty.

By Harland O

Welcome to the world of fixing your own fridge. I saved a lot of $ by doing so. You can download the schematic and manual for your fridge using the model #, then go to PartsPlace.com or an appliance parts website and order the part yourself.

For no ice, it could be a number of things. Youtube even has some good diagnostics! What really clinched it for me was asking a friendly technician that I knew who was able to pinpoint my issue; we ordered the parts from a local place, then drove 13 miles (each way) to pick up the part, installed ourselves.

We saved about $400 by placing parts ourselves on our GE Side by side. I'm sorry I don't have a specific answer for your specific question though.

I pull a need filter in yesterday afternoon how long does take make ic

May 5, 2013 Flag

I've seen this question asked many times before, but never paid much attention because it didn't apply to me - now it does! What do I need to check before calling a repairman? Thanks very much!

By caseye

Several have already mentioned but the hair dryer worked wonders for me. My fridge would dispense water but would not fill the ice tray and dispense. I opened the freezer door and pointed the hair dryer to where the ice tray fill line comes in for a few minutes and it worked like a charm. Later the motor on the ice machine stopped working and using the hair dryer on it thawed it out as well. Haven't had a problem since.

February 18, 2013 Flag

I have a Whirpool Elite refrigerator and freezer on bottom. It's 2 years old. I put in a new water filter and checked the water line. Water is being dispense from the refrigerator. The model #795-71062 010. Before I buy a new ice maker, any suggestions?

By GK

Check to see if an ice cube is jammed in the tray. If so work it out and the Ice Maker will work properly. Mine does this once in a while. Hope this helps.

January 23, 2007 Flag

I have a side by side fridge, with a built-in ice maker. One has to open the freezer to get the ice. Anyway, I get frozen hunks of ice along with the ice cubes that drops into the ice bin. I have to use an ice pick to break up the clumps of ice. What causes this and how can I correct this problem without calling the repair man? Also, It continues to make ice and If I do not remember to lift the arm that stops ice forming it will fall out of the full ice bin and go all over in the freezer.

Thanks in advance,

Mary from Mendenhall, Mississippi

It sounds like your freezer isn't cold enough. It is allowing a tiny bit of melting in the heat of the day and then it freezes everything into blocks when the freezer doesn't have to work so hard to stay cold. See if adjusting the temp colder by a little bit helps.

July 22, 2011 Flag

The icemaker in my KitchenAid refrigerator model KSSC48QMS00, makes ice sometime and sometimes it doesn't. I have changed the ice maker and still have the problem. What can I do? Thank you.

By Floriberto R.

I have the same problem. But I started noticing the ice cream wasn't frozen as well as it should have been either, sometimes it was, sometimes it wasn't. Then I noticed I wasn't hearing the frig cut off or on anymore. My frig is old, so I'm having a new one delivered tomorrow. You didn't say how old yours is. Repairmen are so expensive, $180 just to come out. The refrigerator section works fine, just the freezer compartment not working right. Don't want to even keep it in the basement for drinks, maybe it's running all the time trying to "freeze" stuff and running up my electric bill. I bought a new one at Home Depot for $699.97 total including delivery, set up, installing the ice maker, and hauling off the old one. Not fancy, just like the old one.

May 9, 2011 Flag

My ice maker quit making ice. I changed the filter and water came out of the water dispenser but nothing for ice making

By Penny

The water line to the icemaker is probably clogged or even has frozen. Find where it is attached (you can look online for your make or your appliance booklet} and remove the tube, clean, or melt the ice buildup.

April 24, 2010 Flag

My White-Westinghouse ice maker does not work. What is the problem?

By Dottie from Huntsville, AL

Call the place you got it from, good luck.

November 5, 2009 Flag

My ice maker is not working on my Kitchenaid fridge.

By Darryl

Water line may be crimped or clogged.

March 11, 2008 Flag

I bought an ice maker kit from the local Menard's. I hooked it up and it is still not working. The water dispenser inside of the fridge gives out water but I only get 1 or 2 cubes per cycle, if I'm lucky.

Brian from Hamilton, MI

I'd bring it back !

August 7, 2009 Flag

I have a side by side water and ice in door 5 year old Kitchenaid refrigerator. The water comes through door, but it will not make ice.

By lmod from Orlando

December 16, 2010 Flag

My ice maker has stopped working, What can I do at home before calling expensive repairman? It is getting water and does not appear to be leaking.

By Sandy from St. Louis, MO

Answers:

Ice Maker Not Working

Ours would quit every summer and start working when the temperature cooled off. My husband turned the freezer temperature cooler this year and it is working great! (08/19/2010)

By towersmom

November 17, 2009 Flag

Our Amana side-by-side ice maker over flow bar is stuck in the up position and cannot be pushed down. Any ideas? Model No. SBI20S2W

By bfmstrc from Lowell, MI

Answers:

Ice Maker Not Working

Try blowing a hair dryer on the water line. We have to do this about three to four times a year. The line freezes up and the bar gets stuck. Try it, it will work. As soon as the line thaws out the bar will go down and the ice cubes will fall. (09/04/2009)

By Debbyann

September 25, 2006 Flag

My refrigerator ice machine has not made ice since our water was shut off to fix a broken sprinkler head out in our yard.

February 27, 2010 Flag

I have a Kenmore 22 refrigerator. The ice maker will fill the tray, but will not completely shut off and it overflows. Can you help? Thank you.

Load More
          Home and Garden Repair Appliances Ice MachinesJanuary 26, 2013
          Refrigerator's Ice Maker
          Refrigerator's Ice Maker Leaking Water
          Refrigerator Ice Maker
          Refrigerator Ice Maker Not Getting Water
          Crushed Ice
          Ice Maker Only Dispensing Crushed Ice
          Ice Maker
          Ice Maker Not Dispensing Ice
          © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 24, 2016 at 10:07:09 AM on 10.0.0.185 in 794 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.