Refrigerator's Ice Maker Not Making Ice

Your refrigerator's ice maker may stop making ice, requiring you to troubleshoot the cause before it can be repaired. This is a guide about a refrigerator's ice maker not making ice.

Filter Sort

Question: Frigidare Ice Maker Not Making Ice

By Debra-Debbie Lynn G. 1

My ice maker hasn't worked in a month. I have put hot boiling pots in to defrost it as that's what my repairman told me to do once when it was whining and groaning. He thought line was frozen. If it was frozen this didn't help the icemaker to start up again. We have water in the dispenser in the door, but no water is running in to the ice tray.

I just turned off the water and took off the dispensing valve out of the fridge to try and see if the line is clear going up to the freezer. I don't know how to take off the green waterline going up to freezer because it's the new self setting type. I have also changed the filter about two weeks ago before I started any of this. Can anyone tell me what to do?

Frigidare Ice Maker Not Making Ice

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Ice Maker Not Working and Red Light Flashing

My ice maker would not make any ice. I replaced the ice maker and still no ice. I have replaced the filter too. I hit the reset button on the fridge side, but I have a red light flashing on the ice maker control switch in the freezer. I have turned it to the "off" position and the red light is still flashing. I have no clue what to check next. What do you think is wrong?

By Glenda

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Mary Lou 14 765 Flag

Biggest question: Do u have a manual for your fridge? If you do, there is usually common troubleshooting near the back. It should also have manufacturer's address and toll free number. If no manual, Try the manufacturer's name with .com added and you might get a website with a forum where other owners could help u. and get a manual you could print out on your computer.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Ice Maker Making Large Chunks of Ice

By mary wallace 14

I have a side by side fridge, with a built-in ice maker. One has to open the freezer to get the ice. Anyway, I get frozen hunks of ice along with the ice cubes that drops into the ice bin. I have to use an ice pick to break up the clumps of ice. What causes this and how can I correct this problem without calling the repair man? Also, It continues to make ice and If I do not remember to lift the arm that stops ice forming it will fall out of the full ice bin and go all over in the freezer.

Thanks in advance,

Mary from Mendenhall, Mississippi

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Carla J. Sanders 3 65 Flag

It sounds like your freezer isn't cold enough. It is allowing a tiny bit of melting in the heat of the day and then it freezes everything into blocks when the freezer doesn't have to work so hard to stay cold. See if adjusting the temp colder by a little bit helps.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Whirpool Ice Maker Not Making Ice

By doodlemamma 1

I have a Whirlpool side by side. My ice maker is no longer producing ice. It looks like the water is being sent to the ice maker, but the water is frozen on the side walls and on the food in the freezer. How do I repair this?

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By DCA 4 1,354 Flag

You can consult your owner's manual and request service from a local technician. You can also check the manufacturer's website support for additional information. A very easy online search for Whirlpool support produced many answers. You can try a search yourself or this site to start-read the FAQ section also:

http://www.whirlpool.com/support/

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Fridge Ice Maker Not Making Ice

By Caseye 34 205

I've seen this question asked many times before, but never paid much attention because it didn't apply to me - now it does! What do I need to check before calling a repairman? Thanks very much!

By caseye

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By bratley24 1 Flag

Several have already mentioned but the hair dryer worked wonders for me. My fridge would dispense water but would not fill the ice tray and dispense. I opened the freezer door and pointed the hair dryer to where the ice tray fill line comes in for a few minutes and it worked like a charm. Later the motor on the ice machine stopped working and using the hair dryer on it thawed it out as well. Haven't had a problem since.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Ice Maker Not Dropping Ice

I have a Whirpool Elite refrigerator and freezer on bottom. It's 2 years old. I put in a new water filter and checked the water line. Water is being dispense from the refrigerator. The model #795-71062 010. Before I buy a new ice maker, any suggestions?

By GK

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Hunny Bun 2 Flag

Check to see if an ice cube is jammed in the tray. If so work it out and the Ice Maker will work properly. Mine does this once in a while. Hope this helps.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: GE Profile Arcita Not Making Ice

I have a GE Profile Arctica, Model# PSS25NGMD WW. There is no ice in the bin, I put power to fill solenoid, tray filled and dumped a batch of ice, but does not want to take over and repeat the cycle on its own. To me the bin switch looks in the call for ice position. I need advise and thanks you. Frosty.

By Harland O

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By mary knight 21 123 Flag

Welcome to the world of fixing your own fridge. I saved a lot of $ by doing so. You can download the schematic and manual for your fridge using the model #, then go to PartsPlace.com or an appliance parts website and order the part yourself.

For no ice, it could be a number of things. Youtube even has some good diagnostics! What really clinched it for me was asking a friendly technician that I knew who was able to pinpoint my issue; we ordered the parts from a local place, then drove 13 miles (each way) to pick up the part, installed ourselves.

We saved about $400 by placing parts ourselves on our GE Side by side. I'm sorry I don't have a specific answer for your specific question though.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: KitchenAid Icemaker Only Makes Ice Sometimes

The icemaker in my KitchenAid refrigerator model KSSC48QMS00, makes ice sometime and sometimes it doesn't. I have changed the ice maker and still have the problem. What can I do? Thank you.

By Floriberto R.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By CJ 3 Flag

I have the same problem. But I started noticing the ice cream wasn't frozen as well as it should have been either, sometimes it was, sometimes it wasn't. Then I noticed I wasn't hearing the frig cut off or on anymore. My frig is old, so I'm having a new one delivered tomorrow. You didn't say how old yours is. Repairmen are so expensive, $180 just to come out. The refrigerator section works fine, just the freezer compartment not working right. Don't want to even keep it in the basement for drinks, maybe it's running all the time trying to "freeze" stuff and running up my electric bill. I bought a new one at Home Depot for $699.97 total including delivery, set up, installing the ice maker, and hauling off the old one. Not fancy, just like the old one.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Troubleshooting an Ice Maker That is Not Making Ice

My ice maker quit making ice. I changed the filter and water came out of the water dispenser but nothing for ice making

By Penny

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By littlegamma 7 43 Flag

The water line to the icemaker is probably clogged or even has frozen. Find where it is attached (you can look online for your make or your appliance booklet} and remove the tube, clean, or melt the ice buildup.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: White Westinghouse Ice Maker Doesn't Work

By Dottie 1

My White-Westinghouse ice maker does not work. What is the problem?

By Dottie from Huntsville, AL

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By kathleen williams 76 1,661 Flag

Call the place you got it from, good luck.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: KitchenAid Ice Maker Not Making Ice

By Darryl 1

My ice maker is not working on my Kitchenaid fridge.

By Darryl

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By anne 13 149 Flag

Water line may be crimped or clogged.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Kit Ice Maker Not Working

By brian carnes 1

I bought an ice maker kit from the local Menard's. I hooked it up and it is still not working. The water dispenser inside of the fridge gives out water but I only get 1 or 2 cubes per cycle, if I'm lucky.

Brian from Hamilton, MI

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By LuvMyGingerKids 46 316 Flag

I'd bring it back !

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Maytag Ice Maker Not Working

If the filter needs change could that cause the icemaker to stop making ice?

By Pam

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Ice Maker Not Making Ice

I changed the filter on my fridge and now it is not making ice.

By WW

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: KitchenAid Ice and Water Dispense Not Working

I have had a side-by-side KitchenAid refrigerator model KSCS25FTMS02 for 6 years, suddenly the dispenser light went off, from there I don't have water, and the ice maker stop making ice. The inside freezer light is on normally, the ice making sensor works as I did some tests. I also tested the door switch part# 12466114 by taking it out and performing connectivity check and the switch seems to work as expected. I checked the connection at the door hinge and they are good, nothing loose. The freezer and fridge work just fine, so I am stumped. What could be wrong and where should I start checking further?
      Thanks.

By Peter

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Repairing an Ice Maker

The plastic teeth on the ice maker got hung and the ice maker quit working. I fixed the piece and now the ice maker will not start.

By Ken

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Ice Maker Not Making Ice

My ice maker is not getting an electrical signal. It does not tell the maker to make ice at the water valve.

By J Maggio from MD

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Frigidaire Side by Side Not Making Ice

Our refrigerator is a Frigidaire and we just replaced the water filter, but now it is not making ice, any clues? It is a Pure Plus water filter. I'm thinking is the filter is on too tight. My husband replaced it, but I cannot turn it that is why I am thinking it might be too tight. Also, when he took it off there was water in filter holder cup.

By Rose D

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Ice Maker Not Making Shaved Ice

The crushed ice works well, but shaved ice delivers faint sound when dispenser is pushed, but no ice?

By NRS

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: GE Refrigerator Ice Maker Not Working

My GE ice maker has stopped making ice. There is water in it, its just not freezing. By Joseph

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Ice Maker Not Working On KitchenAid Side-By-Side Refrigerator

By linda durapau 1

I have a side by side water and ice in door 5 year old Kitchenaid refrigerator. The water comes through door, but it will not make ice.

By lmod from Orlando

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Archive: Refrigerator Ice Maker Overfilling Tray

I have a GE Profile side by side refrigerator that has an ice maker that keeps overfilling the tray. It just keeps cycling water. I just recently replaced a small gear inside the ice maker housing that had several teeth missing. That did not correct the problem. I have been told that I may have to replace the head assembly, or the switches that control the fill cycle. I do not not know where these are located. Can someone help me fix this problem?

By cranemanok from Oklahoma City, OK

Feedback:

RE: GE Ice Maker Overfilling Tray

I have to ask you if this has happened since you first got the fridge, because I had the same thing happen and in a "Duh" (or "Voila" if you prefer) moment I realized that there is a little bar just above the ice catcher tray/holder that you push to stop the ice flow and pull back out to restart the release of ice. If this happens to be the case for you, please let me know and I promise I will not laugh at you, but rather laugh with you.

Deeli (06/11/2009)

By Deeli

I have a Kenmore 22 refrigerator. The ice maker will fill the tray, but will not completely shut off and it overflows. Can you help? Thank you.

By Charles from Athens, AL

Feedback:

RE: Refrigerator Ice Maker Overfilling Tray

I am sorry there have been no answers here for you and I truly don't know what to tell you either other than contacting the manufacturer or a refrigerator repair person. (02/01/2010)

By Deeli

This sounds like a warranty problem. Has it always done this? Maybe there is just something stuck in the works. At the very least, contact Sears repair and they will tell you whether or not you are covered. Perhaps there was a service bulletin on this problem. If it does cost to repair, it may not be much. Call Sears. (02/01/2010)

By Thrifty Me

Refrigerator
      Home and Garden Repair Appliances Ice MachinesJanuary 26, 2013
      ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
      Refrigerator's Ice Maker
      Refrigerator's Ice Maker Leaking Water
      Refrigerator Ice Maker
      Refrigerator Ice Maker Not Getting Water
      Crushed Ice
      Ice Maker Only Dispensing Crushed Ice
      Ice Maker
      Ice Maker Not Dispensing Ice
      © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 12, 2016 at 11:44:59 PM on 10.0.0.57 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesQuestionsArchives
      NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
      Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
      BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
      CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings