Remedies for Pets' Dry Skin

It is advised for you to contact your veterinarian concerning your pet's health issues. This guide is about remedies for pet's dry skin.

Dog Scratching Dry Skin
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

September 22, 2015 Flag

I have a domestic hairless male kitten of 9 weeks age. His skin is very dried and sometimes some powder like substance spreads over it. I think he was a day or two old when I found him in my yard. I fed him milk replacement formula until ten days ago. From that time up to now he eats from his dish formula milk, chicken soup, and chicken.

Remedy for Kitten's Dry Skinflakes
Some ten days ago he suffered from digestive issues since he accidentally ate from our lunch dish which had green peas mixed with potatoes and cream in it.

The jumping kitty lost energy and could hardly walk, but ate his food well. The vet prescribed one CC of Ranitidine syrup every eight hours, one CC multivitamin syrup per day, and one third of a sorbitol powder pack solved in water at wake up time. The prescription was prescribed for one week. The vet also suggested we mix the liquid of an Omega 3 in his chicken soup for his skin and hair and overall health. And he mentioned not to wash or wet his skin during medication period. The kitty is feeling healthy now, but the same white powder like substance has increased over his shoulders. It looks like dried skin. His skin condition has become worse since his digestive problem.

It's very hard to find a vet around where I live and the one we found, prescribed the medicine through a phone call. I have not been able to reach the vet for sometime.
I attached a photo of the white powder shape like and the kitty's pictures for people who may be a great help to this lovely kitty.
Thanks.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Thank you for the info. Will try your advice

I would be VERY suspicious of ringworm (a fungal skin infection). Typically ringworm is treated with dips, topicals, and sometimes oral anti-fungals. Ringworm is zoonotic, so you would possibly develop small circular rashes. I would get her to a vet and have them take a look. The only way to confirm ringworm is to do a fungal culture, which can be somewhat expensive and it takes about 5 days for results to come back. Your veterinarian might also look at the skin under a black light; ringworm will typically glow under a black light, however, this is not a perfect diagnostic tool.

What a beautiful kitten. Abigail gave you very good advice. I think you need to find a vet who can diagnose your problem. There are many things that look like what you cat has. It will be hard to choose the treatment until you know exactly is wrong. Bless you for making a home for this little girl.

Read More Answers...

February 27, 2011 Flag

I need something for my Chihuahua's, dry skin. I've tried fish oil, vitamin E oil, and just about everything over the counter. It's not fleas; he's on a monthly flea pill. He's the only one effected out of the 4 Chihuahuas I have. I bought some sulfur cream that's for dry itchy scalp and it says I can use it as often as needed. The vet gave me steroids, but that's $50.00 a month, a little costly.

By Ethel from Boyd, TX

What is the ratio of Listerine, baby oil and water? I can't find the site I used to have bookmarked that gave the recipe. My female shepherd is scratching and chewing herself to death! I need to try this. Thanks!

2 tablesspoons of Listerine, 2 teaspoons mineral oil, 2 teaspoons vitam e, and 1 cup water shake in bottle well add teaspoon vinegar. Shake and spray all over the dog working it in on sides and around the buttocks.

Shower With Organic oatmeal soap then when dry massage With coconut oil. It works and it's natural.

Read More Answers...

September 17, 2011 Flag

Our Beagle starts scratching anywhere he can reach by late summer. Other than scratching for him, we found at least a helpful solution. Add 1 to 2 teaspoons of mineral oil at feeding time. It may not stop the itches entirely, but will stop the constant irritation. Happier pet, happier owner.

By sandies from Torrington, CT

Comment On This PostMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 17, 2013 Flag

I have been feeding my dog different foods which say they contain essential fatty acids, but they did not help with the flaky skin they have. I bought hemp seed oil which was recommended by this site http://www.oilfordogs.com, but I am not sure what to do. Krill oil is bit cheaper than hemp seed oil, but does it really matter?

By Mark S. from Berlin

That is because those fatty acids don't make it through the processing of the dog food. Personally I would use coconut oil. Check this out...

There is some concern that maybe, perhaps, fish oil can deplete vitamins d and e. I like coconut oil anyway for it's many, wonderful properties.

http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/produ ... amp;gclid=CPa0z_bo1LkCFc4-MgodviYAdg

My vet recommended fish oil. I puncture a capsule and put it on his dry food every morning.

Fish oil is what my vet told me to use on my dog who had dry skin. Just use one capsule in food every other day until you see a change .Then give only one capsule every three to four days.You can go to the dollar store and get it. Hope this was helpful!

June 1, 2015 Flag

I have a standard size Dachshund and a Chi- Winnie. The Dachshund is always licking his paws, they both shed a lot, so would fish oil help with these issues and if so how much do I give and how often? The Dachshund's weight is 21 and the Chi-Winnie 14.

I would recommend switching their food to AvoDerm. It is specifically for this problem. Here is their page on Amazon. Read the customer reviews and decide whether this is right for your dogs: http://smile.amazon.com/AvoDerm-Nat ... sr=1-1&keywords=avoderm+dog+food

January 10, 2008 Flag

I am looking for a treatment for dry skin for my pet cat.

Deb from Terre Haute, IN

All pets wearing fur coats need raw eggs and tuna in their diets. Also, watch that they are not lying down on a heater vent/register, or are too close to the fireplace which definitely will dry them out. Add a pat of butter to their bowl and let it melt a bit for them to snack on. Never use human soaps/shampoos on pet hair. Pet's PH is different from humans and it can truly mess them up, getting their own pH out of balance. I'd back way off from giving more than 1/2 cup of dry food a day, regardless of size of pet until

the hair improves. There is a slim chance the pet may have fleas, as well, which often will leave balding

patches. Go to Gardens Alive and view their pictures, if you can find it. It's not cheap,since it's organic, but it is better than losing the pet. God bless you. : )

Oils are important, whether it be coconut, flax, salmon, whatever, always be careful of the amount as they'll make a mess of the litter box otherwise!

Someone else here posted that they now just feed their cats only wet cat food...this can cause gingivitis and tooth decay. The dry stuff builds strong teeth. You must remember that the wild cats will eat mice..they chew the bones, and eat the organs and everything. This is why you can buy raw cat food and they love it.

You can try buying fish oil pills from the local pharmacy (Wal-Mart, RiteAid, etc.), cut one open and drain it on your cats food once per day. They not only like the taste it also helps with the dryness. One possible side effect is a change in the color of their coat. I had one orange cat change to a much darker orange, but the other three (orange, chocolate and white, and a calico) didn't change color at all. This really improved their itching and they are great for you to take too.

Read More Answers...

August 30, 2014 Flag

I have a Chihuahua with chronically dry skin. Is there anything I can do that works to remedy it?

By Carolyn from Jacksonville, FL

He needs a food that contains added oils, such as fish oil or avocado oil. If you can't afford these foods, ask your vet about safely adding oils to his diet.

March 16, 2009 Flag

Can you use dry skin moisturizer or dry skin lotion for a dog that has dry skin? Thanks.

Larry from Snellville, GA

We give our dog 1 raw egg with her dry food every other week to help with skin and coat. We used to give it to her once a week but we decided to go to every other week. After 2 weeks, we noticed a difference. We got the idea from a lady we ran into who said she has raised dogs for 20 years and that's what she has always done.

Hi, Larry!

Last spring our 2 little furry terriers had trouble with ticks, even though they've been on Revolution every month for a couple of years. When I contacted 1800PETMEDS, they said that when a dog has dry skin, the medication doesn't spread from the application site as well. Now I use an olive-oil sprayer and squirt 5 or 6 squirts of vegetable oil on their dry food when I feed them in the morning. They love it, and this has decreased their scratching and improved their coats.

Good luck!

Nancy in NC

We have a toy poodle.. he only weighs 7 lbs and eats such a small amount of food (Iams Mini Chunks) that it worries me and I wouldn't have any idea how much olive oil to spray on. By small amount I mean about 2-3 tablespoons morning and night if I'm lucky. But the Vet says hes healthy and in good form. So how much Olive oil would I spray on. He scratches like mad! P.S. hes 11 months old.

Read More Answers...

September 30, 2013 Flag

I have a 5yr old Pit. I have never had a problem with his skin being this dry until we moved about six months ago. He doesn't have fleas and I haven't changed anything. He's always been very well taken care of, with vitamins and a good diet. So I was thinking of using a little mineral oil. Please let me know if this will help my poor baby.

By Telina A.

An excellent product is "Royal Coat Express". This stuff is great and I give it to my three dogs every day. It is very concentrated so a little goes a long way. You can get it at www.arknaturals.com Click on dog then click on skin and coat. Hope this helps you and your pet.

August 19, 2011 Flag

Can I use sweet almond oil on my dog to help with dry skin?

By Krissy B

I've never heard of using that. But I would recommend fish oil. You can break it up in half and pour it on top of your dogs food. It works great.

February 27, 2011 Flag

***

***

Feed plenty of good whole foods, such as turkey, chicken, beef, black beans, kidney beans, green beans, yogurt, part of bananas, pumpkin (canned), squash, sweet potatoes, mayo, and infant vitamins, one dropper full for a large 100 pound or more dog and half that for a fifty pound dog, and 1/4 that for a 25 pound dog, etc.

Make any items of this with a meat source listed above. Wet it down with water to the point it will form into little balls and squish them into cookies about normal size hamburger patties, and freeze these and then when they are frozen put them in a plastic bag. I give two or three a day. I do my scraps like this that I know are good for the dogs, and that way, they get a wholesome meal.

I also give my huge dogs about a tablespoon of olive oil a day in the place of fish oil pills or give fish oil pills if I have pill pockets (a treat with a pocket to put a pill in). Medium dogs would have a half tablespoon of olive oil a day and small dogs would have 1/4 of a tablespoon of olive oil a day. I will figure that out later, what that amounts to.

Dove baths are comforting to my dachshund mix who is plagued with terrible skin. Lather their wet skin up with a Dove bar that is a quarter cleansing cream and rub that in for a little and rinse off.

Making oatmeal water is a soothing thing to pour over dry skin. Put about a cup of oatmeal in a bowl and then soak it in water as much as you like. Then collect the water from that and pour that over the skin.

I give Benadryl to my dogs, when they are really upset in their skin, 1 mg per pound of weight. You could do 2 mg per pound of weight, but it knocks them out. Cats usually don't respond well to Benadryl, but you could Google it.

Frontline doesn't do any good for my dogs anymore. I suspect it has changed formula for some reason. I am waiting for about a month to try the brewers yeast on them and I am going to research which vitamins are good for dogs and which ones are toxic.

Dogs with itchy skin need to be brushed, bathed, and blow dried often, because it keeps their skin clean and soft and not as likely to suffer irritation, at least this is true with my dogs.

Blessings,

By Robyn Fed from Hampton

Answers:

Remedy for Pets Dry Skin

Listerine, baby oil, and warm water. It sounded greasy, but I was amazed at how somehow this all worked together to make a fabulous dry skin cure. It soaked in instantly, and my poor German Shepherd was so much happier within 24 hours that she actually has come to me whenever she's seen the squirt bottle in my hands. I went out on a limb and put it directly on a hot spot. Within days the hot spot was healed and gone. No more flaky skin on the surface of her now shiny black coat. Thank you so much! I follow up now and then with a perfect bath made of half clear anti-bacterial soap, and half white vinegar. Shake it up in an old bottle and use as shampoo. No wet dog smell! Thank God for the internet and helpful sites like these for low cost cures. (04/04/2010)

By kandimark

Remedy for Pets Dry Skin

I have used Listerene as a topical on ringworm or other yeast infections and also on any itchy like infection. When using on dogs, just get a small amount on a cotton ball and let it sit for a few seconds and then if it is where they can lick it; wipe it off. Also the dogs like to have their fur wiped down, which is a soft massage with a wet rag all the way down to their skin. It refreshes them so much.

I am going to make this spray stuff with the baby oil, etc. I am also going to try to find out why Skin so Soft is so good against bugs! (05/22/2010)

By Robyn Fed

December 17, 2009 Flag

My dog has dry itching skin to the point that he has begun chewing on him self. Is there a home cure for this?

Load More
      Pets AdviceNovember 7, 2012
      A package of cornmeal.
      Dry Carpet Cleaner Recipes
      Dry Sunburned Skin Remedies
      Remedies for Dry Sunburned Skin
      bandaid covering a skin tag
      Remedies for Skin Tags
      Lotion happy face on foot
      Remedies for Dry Skin
      © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 19, 2016 at 1:05:39 AM on 10.0.0.127 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.