Remedies for Pets' Dry Skin

It is advised for you to contact your veterinarian concerning your pet's health issues. This guide is about remedies for pet's dry skin.

September 17, 2011 Flag

Our Beagle starts scratching anywhere he can reach by late summer. Other than scratching for him, we found at least a helpful solution. Add 1 to 2 teaspoons of mineral oil at feeding time. It may not stop the itches entirely, but will stop the constant irritation. Happier pet, happier owner.

By sandies from Torrington, CT

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Be very careful how you give the mineral oil to your dog. If any of it is inhaled, it causes a persistent pneumonia. Most Vets will caution you against its use. Since mineral oil has no nutrition (generally used as a laxative and passes thru the digestive tract undigested); why not try a fish oil, or canola oil. If these oils agree with your dog, it is a safer choice.

I use Dawn Dish Detergent with Oil Olay to bath for my dog's dry skin and works very well compared to expensive pet shampoos I have used in the past with no results. So far this has been the best for my dog. If dry skin is persistent with your pet, speak to the vet; maybe there is an allergy too.

Read More Comments...

September 22, 2015 Flag

I have a domestic hairless male kitten of 9 weeks age. His skin is very dried and sometimes some powder like substance spreads over it. I think he was a day or two old when I found him in my yard. I fed him milk replacement formula until ten days ago. From that time up to now he eats from his dish formula milk, chicken soup, and chicken.

Some ten days ago he suffered from digestive issues since he accidentally ate from our lunch dish which had green peas mixed with potatoes and cream in it.

The jumping kitty lost energy and could hardly walk, but ate his food well. The vet prescribed one CC of Ranitidine syrup every eight hours, one CC multivitamin syrup per day, and one third of a sorbitol powder pack solved in water at wake up time. The prescription was prescribed for one week. The vet also suggested we mix the liquid of an Omega 3 in his chicken soup for his skin and hair and overall health. And he mentioned not to wash or wet his skin during medication period. The kitty is feeling healthy now, but the same white powder like substance has increased over his shoulders. It looks like dried skin. His skin condition has become worse since his digestive problem.

It's very hard to find a vet around where I live and the one we found, prescribed the medicine through a phone call. I have not been able to reach the vet for sometime.
I attached a photo of the white powder shape like and the kitty's pictures for people who may be a great help to this lovely kitty.
Thanks.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Thank you for the info. Will try your advice

I would be VERY suspicious of ringworm (a fungal skin infection). Typically ringworm is treated with dips, topicals, and sometimes oral anti-fungals. Ringworm is zoonotic, so you would possibly develop small circular rashes. I would get her to a vet and have them take a look. The only way to confirm ringworm is to do a fungal culture, which can be somewhat expensive and it takes about 5 days for results to come back. Your veterinarian might also look at the skin under a black light; ringworm will typically glow under a black light, however, this is not a perfect diagnostic tool.

What a beautiful kitten. Abigail gave you very good advice. I think you need to find a vet who can diagnose your problem. There are many things that look like what you cat has. It will be hard to choose the treatment until you know exactly is wrong. Bless you for making a home for this little girl.

I would say this is demodectic mange - black mange. He needs tablets for about 3 months and weekly baths with special shampoos. That´s why he has the "elephant skni" look. He needs to be spayed as this disease is genetic. My dog had it, it does not spread to other animals or humans, but he needs the treatment or he will get secondary skin infection.

Black mange, also called demodectic mange and demodicosis, is a skin disease that appears in dogs and cats alike. Although this infection is relatively common in canines, it's significantly rarer in felines. Black mange is caused by the microscopic demodex mite. It's not contagious to people or other pets.

Demodex Mites

Black mange in dogs is brought on by a mite called Demodex canis. Demodex canis mites reside in the hair follicles. Different Demodex mites cause black mange in cats. They are Demodex gatoi or Demodex cati. The former mites reside on the skin's outside layer while the latter mites reside inside of the hair follicles. Demodex parasites are external parasites that people cannot view without the help of a microscope.

Black Mange and the Immune System

Minimal amounts of Demodex mites are often seen on pets' bodies, even when they're in perfectly good health. Dog and cat mothers transmit these mites to their offspring post-birth during the lactation process. These mites often don't trigger noticeable health issues. Animals who have weakened immune systems, however, may experience various conspicuous symptoms. Black mange is particularly prevalent in young puppies who have immune systems that aren't fully advanced, for example. The skin disease is especially prevalent in elderly dogs who have immune system suppression. When an animal is working with an immune system that's unable to properly handle the amount of mites on his body, the amount increases and black mange occurs.

Common Symptoms of Black Mange

Common signs of black mange in pets include the following:

Loss of hair

Scabs and crusting

Sores that hurt

Swelling of the skin

Redness of the skin

Black mange sometimes brings on secondary bacterial infections that cause severe itchiness, as well.

Generalized and Localized Black Mange

This skin disease exists in both generalized and localized types. Generalized black mange appears on significant segments of dogs' and cats' bodies and frequently causes secondary infections. It's sometimes an indication of other medical conditions in older animals, specifically heartworm disease, hypothyroidism and cancer. Localized black mange, on the other hand, happens when Demodex mites are limited to a couple of compact parts of the body, often just one. Localized black mange appears frequently in young dogs.

Veterinary Diagnosis and Treatment

If you have any reason to think your pet has black mange, schedule an appointment with the veterinarian immediately. If the vet diagnoses your animal with the skin disease, the exact treatment plan will be based on factors such as his general condition and health. Generalized and localized black mange cases often call for different treatment plans, too. Vets diagnose this disease by performing skin scrapings and evaluating the mites using a microscope.

If a pet's mange is associated with an overarching health ailment, the vet will treat that first potentially resolving the problem. Typical black mange treatment choices include dips, medicated benzoyl peroxide shampoo baths and broad spectrum antiparasitic medicines. Pets who develop secondary skin infections often receive antibiotic treatment.

Tip

Pets who have black mange are vulnerable to bacterial skin infections. If your pet has black mange, help protect him from bacterial skin infections by maintaining a meticulously clean living space for him. When he comes back indoors after being outside, rinse his body off thoroughly too.

Read More Answers...

February 27, 2011 Flag

I need something for my Chihuahua's, dry skin. I've tried fish oil, vitamin E oil, and just about everything over the counter. It's not fleas; he's on a monthly flea pill. He's the only one effected out of the 4 Chihuahuas I have. I bought some sulfur cream that's for dry itchy scalp and it says I can use it as often as needed. The vet gave me steroids, but that's $50.00 a month, a little costly.

By Ethel from Boyd, TX

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My schnauzer sometimes has dry skin and my vet recommended spritzing him with distilled water regularly. It worked for him. You can also use one of the skin conditioners/grooming sprays. I have used a product called Minute Groom and it has a nice clean scent plus conditioners.

What is the ratio of Listerine, baby oil and water? I can't find the site I used to have bookmarked that gave the recipe. My female shepherd is scratching and chewing herself to death! I need to try this. Thanks!

2 tablesspoons of Listerine, 2 teaspoons mineral oil, 2 teaspoons vitam e, and 1 cup water shake in bottle well add teaspoon vinegar. Shake and spray all over the dog working it in on sides and around the buttocks.

Shower With Organic oatmeal soap then when dry massage With coconut oil. It works and it's natural.

Read More Answers...

September 17, 2013 Flag

I have been feeding my dog different foods which say they contain essential fatty acids, but they did not help with the flaky skin they have. I bought hemp seed oil which was recommended by this site http://www.oilfordogs.com, but I am not sure what to do. Krill oil is bit cheaper than hemp seed oil, but does it really matter?

By Mark S. from Berlin

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

That is because those fatty acids don't make it through the processing of the dog food. Personally I would use coconut oil. Check this out...

There is some concern that maybe, perhaps, fish oil can deplete vitamins d and e. I like coconut oil anyway for it's many, wonderful properties.

http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/produ ... amp;gclid=CPa0z_bo1LkCFc4-MgodviYAdg

My vet recommended fish oil. I puncture a capsule and put it on his dry food every morning.

Fish oil is what my vet told me to use on my dog who had dry skin. Just use one capsule in food every other day until you see a change .Then give only one capsule every three to four days.You can go to the dollar store and get it. Hope this was helpful!

August 30, 2014 Flag

I have a Chihuahua with chronically dry skin. Is there anything I can do that works to remedy it?

By Carolyn from Jacksonville, FL

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

He needs a food that contains added oils, such as fish oil or avocado oil. If you can't afford these foods, ask your vet about safely adding oils to his diet.

Careful with the avocado as it can be dangerous for little dogs. Especially Yorkshire terriers

June 1, 2015 Flag

I have a standard size Dachshund and a Chi- Winnie. The Dachshund is always licking his paws, they both shed a lot, so would fish oil help with these issues and if so how much do I give and how often? The Dachshund's weight is 21 and the Chi-Winnie 14.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I would recommend switching their food to AvoDerm. It is specifically for this problem. Here is their page on Amazon. Read the customer reviews and decide whether this is right for your dogs: http://smile.amazon.com/AvoDerm-Nat ... B003C5LMZW/ref=sr_1_1?tag=thrif06-20

January 10, 2008 Flag

I am looking for a treatment for dry skin for my pet cat.

Deb from Terre Haute, IN

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Try Grizzly salmon oil too!

All pets wearing fur coats need raw eggs and tuna in their diets. Also, watch that they are not lying down on a heater vent/register, or are too close to the fireplace which definitely will dry them out. Add a pat of butter to their bowl and let it melt a bit for them to snack on. Never use human soaps/shampoos on pet hair. Pet's PH is different from humans and it can truly mess them up, getting their own pH out of balance. I'd back way off from giving more than 1/2 cup of dry food a day, regardless of size of pet until

the hair improves. There is a slim chance the pet may have fleas, as well, which often will leave balding

patches. Go to Gardens Alive and view their pictures, if you can find it. It's not cheap,since it's organic, but it is better than losing the pet. God bless you. : )

Oils are important, whether it be coconut, flax, salmon, whatever, always be careful of the amount as they'll make a mess of the litter box otherwise!

Someone else here posted that they now just feed their cats only wet cat food...this can cause gingivitis and tooth decay. The dry stuff builds strong teeth. You must remember that the wild cats will eat mice..they chew the bones, and eat the organs and everything. This is why you can buy raw cat food and they love it.

You can try buying fish oil pills from the local pharmacy (Wal-Mart, RiteAid, etc.), cut one open and drain it on your cats food once per day. They not only like the taste it also helps with the dryness. One possible side effect is a change in the color of their coat. I had one orange cat change to a much darker orange, but the other three (orange, chocolate and white, and a calico) didn't change color at all. This really improved their itching and they are great for you to take too.

Read More Answers...

March 16, 2009 Flag

Can you use dry skin moisturizer or dry skin lotion for a dog that has dry skin? Thanks.

Larry from Snellville, GA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You can give your dog a teaspoon or more of oil every day, or I give my dog one or two fish oil liquid tablets. He loves the taste. He has beautiful fur and hair IMO :). He is very glossy.

We give our dog 1 raw egg with her dry food every other week to help with skin and coat. We used to give it to her once a week but we decided to go to every other week. After 2 weeks, we noticed a difference. We got the idea from a lady we ran into who said she has raised dogs for 20 years and that's what she has always done.

Hi, Larry!

Last spring our 2 little furry terriers had trouble with ticks, even though they've been on Revolution every month for a couple of years. When I contacted 1800PETMEDS, they said that when a dog has dry skin, the medication doesn't spread from the application site as well. Now I use an olive-oil sprayer and squirt 5 or 6 squirts of vegetable oil on their dry food when I feed them in the morning. They love it, and this has decreased their scratching and improved their coats.

Good luck!

Nancy in NC

We have a toy poodle.. he only weighs 7 lbs and eats such a small amount of food (Iams Mini Chunks) that it worries me and I wouldn't have any idea how much olive oil to spray on. By small amount I mean about 2-3 tablespoons morning and night if I'm lucky. But the Vet says hes healthy and in good form. So how much Olive oil would I spray on. He scratches like mad! P.S. hes 11 months old.

Read More Answers...

September 30, 2013 Flag

I have a 5yr old Pit. I have never had a problem with his skin being this dry until we moved about six months ago. He doesn't have fleas and I haven't changed anything. He's always been very well taken care of, with vitamins and a good diet. So I was thinking of using a little mineral oil. Please let me know if this will help my poor baby.

By Telina A.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

An excellent product is "Royal Coat Express". This stuff is great and I give it to my three dogs every day. It is very concentrated so a little goes a long way. You can get it at www.arknaturals.com Click on dog then click on skin and coat. Hope this helps you and your pet.

Load More
Pets AdviceNovember 7, 2012
A package of cornmeal.
Dry Carpet Cleaner Recipes
Dry Sunburned Skin Remedies
Remedies for Dry Sunburned Skin
bandaid covering a skin tag
Remedies for Skin Tags
Lotion happy face on foot
Remedies for Dry Skin
🎉
🎄