Removing Ink on Vinyl

Whenever removing ink from a surface you want to make sure that the fix doesn't create a bigger problem. This is a guide about removing ink on vinyl.

April 14, 2005 Flag

I have recently started cleaning a doctors office which has ink marks on the examining tables. I have tried alcohol, Simple Green, Mr. Clean Magic Eraser and cannot seem to find anything to remove the marks. Can anyone give me some suggestions? Thanks!

Sheila from MI

Best Answer

I clean banks and doctor's offices also. I have used anti-bacterial hand gel with great success. Rub it into the ink and go do something else leave on the ink for about 5-10min. rub off with soft cloth or whatever cleaner you normally use. I've also removed permanent marker from countertops with it, adhesives, and chewing gum from a carpet. It will also remove black shoe marks from tile floors, and scuff marks from walls. I now keep a bottle with me at all times and when you're done cleaning you can use it on your hands.

Best Answer

Hairspray works well to remove ink from imitation leather ( in my case a purse). You have to spray and wipe several times, but it will eventually come off.

Best Answer

March 12, 2011 Flag

If a printed paged of text is pressed up against a plastic binder for a long period of time (especially if it's hot), some ink will often stick to the plastic. How can I remove the ink that remains on the plastic? Without randomly trying things I have, does anyone know of something commonly found around the house like rubbing alcohol or WD40 that might affect dried-on ink?

By Jon from MO

Best Answer

If the ink feels sticky, try Oil of Olay. I know that sounds weird. I use it to remove gummed on stickers on books and such. You only need to dab a bit on a old washcloth or rag...saturate the area that is sticky, and the sticky stuff should come right off.

Best Answer

I would try using petroleum jelly. Some of the harsher chemicals can cause the plastic in the binder to break down and create a distorted area where the ink used to be.

Best Answer

April 4, 2011 Flag

My pink vinyl bag got ink on it. How do I clean it? I just got it.

Joan

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Have you tried hairspray? You might want to spray a bit on an inconspicuous spot first to be sure it doesn't bother the vinyl.

Best Answer

I just used the hairspray method to get ink off my vinyl handbag. Here's how I did it. I sprayed the hairspray on one of the cotton pads I use to take makeup off with. Then I LIGHTLY dabbed at the stain with the saturated pad. Obviously, we want to lift the stain and not the finish of the bag. I feel this method gave me more control than spraying the hairspray directly on the vinyl. Took me less than five minutes to lift the stain this way. Then I wiped the bag with a wet paper towel to get the sticky hairspray off it. Done! Good luck with your pink bag!

June 14, 2007 Flag

I have a silver cross dolls pram and my daughter has drawn on it with a pen on the vinyl inside the main body of the pram. I have tried all sorts of household cleaners to try and remove it, but nothing has worked. Please help!

Annette from United Kingdom

Best Answer

I know that some use benzoil peroxide (like for acne care) to get ink from vinyl dolls. They put it on and put the item in the sun. It's worth a try.

Best Answer

Sour cream or yougurt work well. Put some on the stain and let it sit. Then come back with a soft toothbrush and gently rub it. Then wipe and rinse. Repeat this untill stain is gone. Do it gently. This will not harm the fabric. Also hairspray works by spraying it on and wiping off.

July 11, 2005 Flag

I have a vinyl couch and vinyl foot stools. My problem is during a party the kids somehow managed to write graffitti all over it with blue, black and red permanent marker and ball point pen. The stubborn stains will not come out. I have tried all home remedies and what products are avaliable to me. My problem is i live in Korea and for some reason they have no idea or clues or helpful advice.

Carol

Best Answer

I just finished cleaning marker off my vinyl fencing. I used acetone which I purchased at my local auto parts store. It worked great. Just wiped the marker right off. It left the finish a little dull, but some car wax fixed that. I don't know how it would do on a sofa but if works great on vinyl fencing.

Best Answer

It is vinyl do not use acetone it will ruin it. Sour crea or yougurt will take care of it. Just rub and wipe and repeat also hairspray if all else fails . If the stain is set it will take a little patience.

June 26, 2010 Flag

How do I remove ink from a white vinyl chair? I have tried everything that I have read about or someone recommended and nothing has worked. Some areas of the ink have become lighter, but never gone. It is blue pen ink.

By Gisela

Best Answer

Try turpentine and steel wool. Scrub gently and wipe clean. Do this a few times, then wipe clean with water. Worked for same problem I had, on bright orange vinyl and didn't strip the paint or anything.

Nothing worked on my white chairs to remove ink, so I tried 'ACETONE' . It did the job very well, but you have to try on small area first as this is a solvent and may strip the paint. I rubbed very gently little by little and it worked. It seemed to remove bit of shine of the vinyl, but I used the 'Marveer' furniture polish to bring the shine back. I only used it on white vinyl and probably would be careful with the colour vinyl.

September 24, 2014 Flag

I got ball point pen on a beige vinyl couch. I tried everything to get it out; stain remover for pen, alcohol, bleach, toothpaste, WD40, Soft Scrub and none of them worked. I read that nail polish remover works, but I was afraid to use it. I did a test on the underneath and, sure enough, it did not hurt the vinyl and took most of the ink out. There is just a slight stain left, you really have to look for it. Be sure and do a test first.

July 30, 2009 Flag

How do I get ball point ink off a yellow vinyl purse? Thanks.

Carol

There's two products out there, Oops! and Goo Gone. I use both to remove ink, sticky sticker stuff, wax/grease spots, crayon. You get the idea. : )

Try spraying with hairspray, then rubbing with a clean cloth before it dries. This should work for ink from a ball-point pen.

Brenda in Oz.

June 10, 2011 Flag

My kid scribbled on the arm of my beige loveseat with permanent black marker about a month ago, then 2 weeks ago she set a pen on my sofa that exploded and left big blue blotches on the top and side of it.

We have tried everything: fingernail polish remover, vinegar, Magic Eraser, and hairspray; nothing has worked. They are faded now, but still very noticeable.

I'm not sure if the fabric is vinyl or leather, if that helps. Any suggestions to get it out completely without destroying my couch?

By jswen

Well, anything you attempt for removing the ink is sure to remove the color of the leather as well... you may want to try some Automotive Leather Cleaners but as you state, there are so much ink on the arms, top and side that you'd have to be better than a professional to complete the task without it being noticeable. Have you tried using some Saddle Soap?

1) Do not purchase 'permanent' markers if your kid has access to them.

http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-de ... -permanent-marker-leather-seats.html

http://www.wikihow.com/Remove-Ink-Stains-from-Leather

December 14, 2006 Flag

How do you get ink off a vinyl coat?

Linda from Kettering, Ohio

Have you tried hairspray and a dry cloth?

Like the 1st poster, I have used hair spray, & am told the cheaper the better!

Donna

Load More
Home and Garden Cleaning StainsJuly 14, 2014
A Sharpie marker with its lid off.
Removing Permanent Ink (Sharpie) from a CD or DVD
An ink pen in a blue leather purse.
Removing Ink from Leather
🎉
🎄