Removing Musty Odors from Wood Furniture

Old wood furniture or pieces that may have been in storage can develop a musty smell. This is a guide about removing musty odors from wood furniture.

December 12, 2016 Flag

An antique dresser with many drawers.

CommentPin It!Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This is a guide about cleaning a musty antique dresser. Although antique furniture can be beautiful, it can also be tricky to clean and deodorize.

March 31, 2010 Flag

My wooden cupboard with dividers for trays and cookie sheets smells bad. It is a combination of rancid odor and mustiness. The odor has permeated the wooden serving trays.

So far I have used soapy water and Lysol inside of the cabinet. We washed the wooden trays and set them out in the sunshine. We are considering rubbing them with fresh lemon juice to remove odor.
What would you suggest?

By John from Phoenix, AZ

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Spray them with pine oil and water. Mix 1/4 cup in a spray bottle with water (Windex) or get one from Dollar store for a dollar. I use it all the time in kitchen, good luck.

Best Answer

The lemon juice won't hurt but I suggest spraying a test spot with Easy Off oven cleaner. Wait a few minutes and if you see a cleaner spot when you wipe it off you will know that your wood has absorbed grease from your years of cooking.

Best Answer

I would try white vinegar and water solution, perhaps mix in a few drops of dish soap. Give it a good cleaning. Then I would place white vinegar in a bowl or if the drawers are small a votive holder and leave it in overnight. (Close up the drawers when you do this.)

Best Answer

You might want to try this. Go to your nearest pet store and buy a package of activated charcoal (used in aquariums). Place an opened package in your cupboard overnight or longer, with the doors closed. The charcoal should absorb the odors.

June 22, 2004 Flag

I bought a cabinet, that is old, for my bathroom and there is a musty odor inside. I have tried baking soda and vinegar and it didn't work. Please help.

Robinson in NC

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I have had luck with charcoal briquets in the back corners of a musty shelf, DO NOT use the self lighting charcoal

Best Answer

I have a great old wooden hutch/cabinet that was musty. I tried baking soda in a pan, then a baking soda/water paste scrub, then ground coffee and nothing worked. THEN, AHA! I sprayed the entire inside surface with cedar oil and no more musty smell! The cedar smell faded but the musty odor did NOT come back.

Best Answer

I found that if you put a container of Damp-Rid in your cabinet and empty often, then refill as needed with the granules, it will take out the musty smell. Try putting a clean cloth with vanilla (real extract) and it should also help. Also there is a carpet/freshener that is a powder vanilla scent that works great on carpet, could sprinkle that inside, it is made by Glade Carpet & Room deodorizer.

You could stuff it full of crumpled clean old newspaper for a while. I would spray OUT on the Paper. I get this in jugs at WalMart in the pet department. It smell like vanilla extract.

I think I read somewhere that using cottonballs or wads of paper towels with vanilla extract on them would fix something like this too.

Yep, see Related Links, vanilla balls & newspaper for odor removal.

August 3, 2011 Flag

I am going to a little place in the country (nothing fancy, so no point in talking to the management) for a much-needed, once-a-year holiday at the end of this week. The only bedroom furniture is a very old, wooden (maybe pine, not sure) dresser. The drawers are always terribly musty-smelling; it's suffocating!

I always end up having to leave them ajar, trying to air them out (it doesn't work!), and I hate putting my clothes in there. Please help! Does anyone know how to definitely get those drawers un-mustified so I can actually use them, this year? Thanks very much in advance.

By Anna

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Charcoal helps with this but I think it takes a while to work.

Bring along some of those products used for cancer patients to remove odors and spray drawers so room smells OK, but keep your clothes in your suitcase, just ask for a suitcase stand or set up on top of dresser. If I'm on retreat the look of the room is not the most important thing on my list. just "vegging" out. Oh yes, be sure to open the windows wide to air out the room, too. Fresh air does wonders for the soul, too.

What if, weather permiting, you set the drawers outside to air out for the night when you first get there, then sprinkle them with your favorite powder, or use a dryer sheet like Pinska suggested.

Charcoal, dryer sheets, baking soda, and good old free sunlight work. But like the other poster, just don't put your clothes in there. Best of luck to you on your trip!

August 6, 2013 Flag

I have a china cabinet that smells like something died in it. What can I use to get the odor out of the wood, without damaging the wood?

By Trish

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Sam's Club sells a product called "OdoBan" ... this will work great to remove the odor. I had an chest that wreaked of cigarette smoke and I used it straight out of the bottle to the wood and had no damage what so ever. I've recommended the to several friends and they've all sent "thank you"s.

January 27, 2015 Flag

I have an antique mahogany table and an antique chest; I am not sure what type of wood it is. These items were stored for several years in an area that became damp and moldy. The table has what looks like mold spots trying to bleed through. The chest has a bad odor, but I don't notice any mold spots. These are over 100 years old and I can't just dispose of them. Can you give me some ideas? Thanking you in advance.

By Patsy B

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 11, 2015 Flag

I have a table leaf that got wet on one end. I didn't notice until it was bad. Any help?

By Dawn J

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 19, 2014 Flag

How do I get rid of a musty ordor in wood hatch?

By ro

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 16, 2014 Flag

How do I remove a very strong musty odor from a wooden hutch?

By CA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 22, 2014 Flag

My daughter kept some African masks in her basement and they now smell of mildew badly. How can we get rid of the mildew odor and ever use them in our home once again?

By goflos

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsApril 21, 2013
Antique wood three drawer table and upholstered side chair.
Cleaning Antique Wood Furniture
An antique dresser with many drawers.
Cleaning a Musty Antique Dresser
Hands polishing a wood table
Cleaning Wood Furniture
Antique Wood Furniture with Sticky Film
Cleaning Wood Furniture With a Sticky Film
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 26, 2017 at 12:45:26 PM on 10.0.1.80 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.