Browsing: Removing Super Glue from Clothing

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Removing Super Glue from Clothing

Super Glue is a very strong bonding product, not a good thing if you get some on your clothes. This is a guide about removing Super Glue from clothing.

Super Glue
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

February 17, 2014 Flag

I am in a jam. My grandson has spilt some super glue on a fabric sofa. Can I get any of the products to remove it in the UK?

By myraanne

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Hiya from Scotland:)

Have you tried 'freezing' the glue off? Take an ice cube, hold it against the gloop of glue for a minute (a real 60 second count, you're trying to freeze the glue) then try to flick the now frozen gloop from the upholstery using the edge of a credit/debit card or a loyalty card (Boots, Tesco, NectarPoints, etc).

Once you've got that big gloop off (lol, been-there/done that, it's never a small spot, is it?) any remaining gloop should come off using an acetone based nail lacquer remover, or mineral spirits. Although I've never had those products strip colour from a piece of upholstery, always test the product in a section that isn't seen before using on the spot to be sure your fabric won't strip.

March 4, 2015 Flag

My husband is a fan of Super Glue, he flipping uses it for just about everything. He got some on his suit trousers, grrrrr. I'm afraid if I use acetone it will take the color out. Any suggestions?

By Susie

It says on the label to use cooking oil if it gets on your skin, not sure if that would be good idea for fabrics. Have you tried freezing the clothing & trying to scrape it off? Like w/ gum. Best Wishes & buy that man an apron! Ha!

July 1, 2008 Flag

How do you remove super glue on track suit bottoms? They are mixed fabric, nylon/cotton.

Ramon from England U.K

I am afraid you are "stuck" with it! :) Sorry, couldn't resist. I don't think there is a way to get it out.

There is a superglue removal liquid you could try. It's usually right next to the superglue in the store.

March 29, 2005 Flag

I recently spilled Krazy Glue on my favorite silk black dress. How can I get the glue out without hurting the fabric or fading the color? Is there any hope for my dress? Thank you very much.

Jennifer

Sayonar!

If possible, get some samples - even if it means taking a quarter inch off the hem and re-hem it. Then start experimenting. Ammonia gets the wax off floors. Nail polish remover removes the glue on artificial nails, which is pretty much the same stuff. Ethyl alcohol - what the heck. When all else fails - call the manufacturer of the glue - they might have some ideas....you can't be the first one to spill that stuff, I'm sure. Where's the spill? Maybe you could remove it or cover it w/ another piece of silk in a contrasting color. Good luck!

I live in Northern Canada and have found that crazy glue does not hold when frozen on a windshield. Even if it is on a warm surface when applied. Might be worth a try to freeze it. Try dry, then wet and leave in the freezer a few days.

thank you got glue on lycra sport trousers, brand new. used nail polish remover, thank god, or 35 quis wastes x

August 14, 2010 Flag

How do I get Crazy Glue off of rhinestones on shoes? I was trying to keep them from falling out, but it made them dull looking.

By Darlene from Port St. Lucie, FL

February 8, 2010 Flag

I would like to know how to remove dried Crazy glue from a microfiber sofa.

By bill7 from NY

Answers:

Removing Crazy Glue

Being a fiber, you'll want to test this on an inconspicuous portion of your sofa first, but what removes Crazy Glue is acetone nail polish remover. Make sure it's acetone and not non-acetone. I would try first with placing it on a soft cloth and gently rubbing but, being fabric, you might want to 'rough up' the fabric a tiny bit with a very soft toothbrush after applying the acetone to the fabric.

Acetone easily removes Crazy Glue from all other surfaces so I don't see why it wouldn't work on fabric too. I hope this helps you. (10/09/2009)

By Deeli

Removing Crazy Glue

Hobby stores usually sell a product that is made for removing crazy glue; uncure or debonder. (10/09/2009)

By dayzfan

Removing Crazy Glue

Crazy Glue actually dissolves plastic a bit. Microfiber is a type of plastic polymer fabric, and will most likely dissolve or turn slick if you use Acetone. I used to use Acetone to clean heel marks on lighter shoes and could count on losing finish so I had to work quickly and gently, most often living with the damage!

I'd call the mfg. or store where you bought the furniture first. Have you checked online for "Microfiber chemical damage repair?" You may have to settle for a type of "suede cleaner" and a suede brush that is fine wire, in the conspicuous area underneath first. Use a light touch and gentle hand in short brush strokes, regardless. Good luck and God bless you. :) (10/10/2009)

By lyndagayle62

October 6, 2009 Flag

I want to know how to remove crazy glue from the screen of my cellphone?

Mely

Answers:

Removing Crazy Glue

I got crazy glue in my hair today and my mom said that the lady on the er line said to rub shampoo or conditioner into it. Any kind will work. It will break it down. (08/12/2008)

By martin

Removing Crazy Glue

I got a little bit of crazy glue on my fingers. I tried Vinegar, then Canola oil, then Olive oil. My skin feels kind of rough but it's not very sticky anymore. (10/22/2008)

By Drew

Removing Crazy Glue

Spilled Krazy Glue on a nylon jacket then tried everything from GOO GONE to WD-40 to get it out. I went out and brought the Acetone and the glue came right off. (11/22/2008)

By Cashiano

Removing Crazy Glue

I've just spilled some super glue on my fingers and counter top.

To unglue fingers, just soak them in warm soapy water. The skin remains rough but at least the fingers won't remain glued together. I then used acetone to remove the dried glue from my fingers as I did for the glue on the counter top. Acetone is a strong solvent for most plastics and synthetic fibers. So don't use it on any plastic, rubber or varnished surfaces.

Hope this helps (11/25/2008)

By JN

Removing Crazy Glue

I tried the suggestion to use shampoo and to my amazement, it removed the glue! I put the shampoo on, no water. Let it sit for a minute, then scrubbed some. It left the crazy glue spots on my ceramic tile floor rough. I used my fingernail and with a few light strokes, scraped up the glue. (12/22/2008)

By muqdah

Removing Crazy Glue

My friend says Extra Virgin Olive oil works great on fingers and even helps with the itch! (01/31/2009)

By Guest

May 29, 2008 Flag

I spilled some crazy glue on my sweatpants. Any advise is greatly appreciated on how to remove it.

December 30, 2007 Flag

How can I get dried CRAZY GLUE out of a white shirt?

Home and Garden Cleaning Clothing StainsJanuary 30, 2013
Super Glue
Removing Super Glue from Skin
Kitchen Countertop
Removing Super Glue from Kitchen Countertop
bottle of super glue
Removing Super Glue from a Car's Exterior
Super Glue
Removing Super Glue from Wood Furniture
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 25, 2016 at 11:38:03 AM on 10.0.2.96 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.