Removing Super Glue from Eyeglasses

Category Miscellaneous
Finding a way to clean this glue off your glasses can be a challenge. This guide is about removing super glue from eyeglasses.

I used nail polish remover and it came right off the eye glasses. Any ordinary nail polish remover will work.

Editor's Note: This tip is only for glass lenses without any protective coating. Nail polish remover will damage plastic lenses.

Anonymous

I have plastic lenses and I used nail polish remover and it did not harm the lens and it dose not come of right away it took me awhile

I have an antiglare coated eyeglass. Stains of Elfy adhesive got accidentally on the corner of it. It was very irritating. I tried to google for solutions but ended up having no solution to it. Finally, I tried to remove it by scrathing it a bit hardly with a scissor. I was able to remove the Elfy without harming the eyeglass. Hope it works for you too! :)

Top Comment

I just created an account here just to reply. I've had a super glue smear on the lens of my glasses for months. After reading a few of these comments I used Pepsodent Toothpaste and hot water for literally 25 seconds (if that) and it came right off! So, yes! Toothpaste will remove super glue from a lens. At least the Pepsodent did. Can't really speak for other brands. Hope this helps someone as much as it helped me!

Loctite Super Glue

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about removing super glue from eyeglasses. Super glue is meant to be permanent, so when you get it on something accidentally, it can be frustrating.

How do I get nail glue off my glass lenses?

Because the lenses are glass and not plastic you will be able to safely try most methods of removal. A light scraping with a plastic utensil; repeated washing with soap and warm water, or enzyme detergent; isopropyl alcohol; acetone; even a brief freeze and a gentle scrape off.

Just don't use anything abrasive which could scratch the lenses.

Use a blow dryer to soften the glue and gently peel off

My g-daughter has a very expensive doll. The eyelashes were coming off, so my daughter used superglue and it got on the dolls glass eye. I used nail polish thinner and it took it off after a few applications.

I was repairing my eyeglasses' frame with superglue and the dog bumped me which caused a small smudge on the lenses. Is there something that I can remove this with which won't cause scratches?

By Carolyn C. from Jacksonville, FL

Best Answer

Do not use fingernail polish remover. It will ruin the frames. I already did that.

Fingernail polish remover. Don't get it all over the lens though,. It will leave an oily surface that may take a while to clean off but it won't make any scratches. I would recommend you use a toothpick to put drops on the super glue. Let it soak before trying to rub it off. Maybe even use the tooth pick to try to scrape some of the glue off once it softens ups to there is less to clean off (prevent smearing).

How do I get super glue off glasses lens?

By Sharon

If the lenses are just glass and do not have a coating (anti-glare, anti-scratch, anti-reflective) you could possibly try nail polish remover. If they do have a special coating, the nail polish remover may damage the coating as well.

How to take superglue off your glasses

How do you remove Krazy glue from an eye glass lens?

By KC Lang from Detroit, MI

ALERT! Nail polish remover acetone might destroy the lens if it is plastic-based, and the frame as well? My optician told me NEVER to use krazy glue when doing repairs, I guess this could be why. I checked the SuperglueCorp website. They said not recommended to bond glass; to remove from glass, soak in water.

Buy the strongest nail polish because it works! Must keep the cotton doubled tip swabs super wet at all times when rubbing the stained areas! I rubbed for 30 seconds in stained area and cleaned wet area with toilet paper "Continue same process again and again" Important!

One more thing "Keep the cotton swabs purely wet at all times and use 1 time with every different swab. Never use same swab again. I'm happy now! I thank Suntydt with the eye patch! God bless you Suntydt!

Anonymous

I put nail polish remover on a Q tip..soak the Q tip aell then rub well with the Q tip...

Then i took my fingernail and gently scratched the spot of crazy glue..i repeated a few times and it pretty much came off..sooner you catch it the better it comes off..

Does anyone know how to remove super glue from plastic eyeglass lens?

By Velma

I doubt very much that you will be able to get the super-glue off because the chemicals in the super-glue will have bonded forever with the plastics in your lenses. I'm sorry because I know how very expenses eyeglasses are (I wear tri-focals).

You can try nail polish remover. The acetate in it melts the super glue, but it might also ruin the lenses. Hospitals use acetate to melt the glue if you glue your fingers together.

How do I get super glue off plastic eye glass lens that are transitional noline bifocals?

How do you get Super Glue off eye glasses?

By Jodi

I know it works for skin, but perhaps finger nail polish remover? I don't know if it will effect the lens though.

I got super glue on my glasses. How can I remove it?

By Dotty

If they are plastic and you can't used acetone all I think of is to leave them in water overnight to see if it will soften the glue enough to get it off without scratching.

I thought about acetone also. That's the only thing I know that works. I would try very little on a cotton swab. Good Luck.

How do I remove Krazy glue from my eye glasses?

By Oliza

How do I remove Crazy glue from eyeglasses?

By Ken from Cocoa Beach, FL

Answers:

Crazy Glue on Eyeglasses

The only thing I know of that affects crazy glue is nail polish remover. You can try and clean it off with that, maybe let it soak in for a few minutes before trying to clean it. (03/08/2010)

By Suntydt

How do I remove crazy glue from eyeglass lens?

By Chris

Answers:

Crazy Glue on Eyeglasses

Call your eye doctor and ask. It will depend on the type of lens you have. I'm sure they will tell what and how to do it at no charge. And if they don't do it free of charge, I'd look into getting a new optometrist. (10/18/2009)

By PeggyLee

I accidentally spilled crazy glue on my lens while trying to repair my glasses. How can I remove the glue?

Mark

Answers:

Crazy Glue on Eyeglasses

If the lens is glass, you can chip it off with a razor. If they are plastic, you're sunk. (12/10/2008)

By kimhis

Crazy Glue on Eyeglasses

Acetone removes super glue on anything, but I would check with my optometrist in regard to lenses. (12/11/2008)

By castorswind

Crazy Glue on Eyeglasses

Upon being told by optical shops there was no repair, I tried methyl ethyl keytone (MEK). I wiped with it for ten seconds and then sprayed with 409 to cease the reaction. After a few sessions of the above, they turned out good as new. (01/24/2009)

By Tom

How can I remove crazy glue from eyeglasses?

Carolyn from Grove, OK

Answers:

Crazy Glue on Eyeglasses

Is it on the lens or the frames? A solvent for crazy glue is sold in most stores that sell crazy glue. I'm not sure if it should be used on the lens though, especially if you have plastic ones. Check with your eye care professional and see if they know of a way to clean the lens safely. (07/05/2006)

By Willowinthewinds

Crazy Glue

Depending on where the glue is, I would suggest using nail polish remover. I used to work in an eyeglass place and we used that to remove just about anything from the lenses, I never tried it on the frames. I would also suggest taking it to a place and seeing what they can do (most times it should be free or at least a very small charge). (07/05/2006)

By JourneyofaLifetime

Crazy Glue on Eyeglasses

I would be very careful about using nail polish remover or any solvent. Most lenses are made of plastic rather than glass these days because it's so much lighter. I would call the store where you got them and ask their advice. (07/11/2006)

By Claudia- MD

Crazy Glue on Eyeglasses

I just rubbed alcohol with a lens cleaner and it worked very well. It took some time though. (06/10/2008)

By denise