Browsing: Repairing Bleach Stains on Carpet

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Repairing Bleach Stains on Carpet

Bleach spills can actually remove the color from your carpet. This is a guide about repairing bleach stains on carpet.

Bleach Bottle
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

March 5, 2007 Flag

Oh my God! I found the solution for bleached stains on carpets! Simple as this: crayons and a hair dryer. Just find the color matching your carpet and color it moving lightly over the stain, then use the dryer to "melt" the crayon (once you found the right match).

Comment On This PostMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 21, 2008 Flag

How do I get Clorox stains out of my carpet? My Clorox bottle tipped over and spilled and splashed some sections on my carpet. It now looks pinkish in color. Any suggestions?

Bridget from AZ

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Agreed that you can't "undo" what's been done.

If you do decide to replace the area w/a piece of carpet, say, from inside a hall closet, be sure to cut both the old and new pieces as a wavey circle shape of sorts. This will help "hide" the lines of the cut once replaced. If you cut it as a square shape they will be easily seen and always shifting, or the corners curling up. (I worked for a carpet retailer/wholesaler/installer/freighter for several years.)

It would actually be best to hire a reputable, professional carpet installer to do this job.

Agreed, once the bleach has had time to 'set' you're pretty-much stuck with the consequences. You could try re-dying the carpet however here's another who agrees: replace that piece of carpet with a piece that was underneath furniture; you could switch the pieces; most people won't see a 'bad dye job' that's underneath furniture - smile. I've had this problem with carpet and clothing. My attempts at restoring color have yet been satisfactory however I'll keep on trying until I'm happy with the results.

Good luck with your efforts. Keep us posted :o)

Read More Answers...

October 7, 2014 Flag

I accidentally spilled bleach on my cream colored carpet and it left a yellowish stain. Does anyone know how to get it out?

By Hannah W.

This is not actually a stain that you can 'get out'. You removed the color from the carpet. You only really have a couple of options. If you have some scraps of the carpet left:

1. Try to create a stain that will match it. Try coffee, tea, Rit dye, face powder, cinnamon, ginger or something else. Try it on a scrap before you try it on your carpet!

2. If you can not stain it, replace it with a piece of the scrap. This should only be undertaken by a professional or after you have practiced it with old carpet!

3. Stain your entire carpet with bleach to match.

4. Learn to live with it.

Good luck

April 28, 2012 Flag

I was walking around checking things out and spilled Clorox on the carpet. I tried everything to get it out. Two weeks later I am still trying with no luck. Do you have any suggestions

By Izzabele from Scottsbluff, NE

I've done this. I bought Rit dye and put some (not all) in a clear glass added some water until I got what appeared a similar color. With a picture paintbrush, I painted the carpet. It's easier to start with a lighter color and add more if needed. I let it dry and it's permanent.

Our new carpet was only a week old and I fixed an entire hallway. My spouse never knew. (You can always mix different colors of Rit together - I used small portions of powered Rit, not liquid - it seemed too potent.) Blotting helps too, it helps get the color down more deeply.

I've done this. I bought Rit dye and put some (not all) in a clear glass added some water until I got what appeared a similar color. With a picture paintbrush, I painted the carpet. It's easier to start with a lighter color and add more if needed. I let it dry and it's permanent. Our new carpet was only a week old and I fixed an entire hallway. My spouse never knew. (You can always mix different colors of Rit together - I used small portions of powered Rit, not liquid - it seemed too potent.) Blotting helps too, it helps get the color down more deeply.

Read More Answers...

June 7, 2010 Flag

I have some kind of pimple medicine and my cousin split it on my rug. It had some kind of bleach in it, so it turned a big spot of my tan carpet orange. I tried this kind of stain remover for carpets and it didn't work. Then I used Spray and Wash which also didn't work. So what can I do? Can anyone help me please?

cheergirl

Whatever is in acne medication is a bleach on fabrics. People find stains on towels and the necks of dark shirts as well. You cannot remove this stain from the rug, as it is not actually a stain. The medication has removed the color from the rug. You must do what others have suggested -- either try to camouflage the spot with colored markers, replace that piece of rug with another piece cut from inside the closet or under the sofa or from scraps you might have, or put a throw rug or a piece of furniture on top of it.

It says it right on the bottle -benzol peroxide. And warns you re fabric bleaching

Read More Answers...

December 3, 2010 Flag

My new avocado colored carpet has a large bleach stain. Now I have a large lavender colored area. Help!

By Donna from NJ

Aside from buying carpet dyes over the 'net and then they won't dye the same shade, so why not buy an area rug and lay over the top to hide it?

Since it's a new carpet hopefully you're talking about wall to wall carpet and hopefully you have remnants from when the carpet was installed. If so, hire a professional to do a patch job with the remnants.

Read More Answers...

November 19, 2013 Flag

I have a dark green carpet that dog urine has spoiled and several cleaners and stain removals later the carpet is 'bleached out'. What can I do to remove/colour the stains please?

By Reg

Some business that clean carpets (the larger businesses) can also dye carpet in place in your home.

May 15, 2014 Flag

My bath vanity area carpet has a few spots on it where bleach had splattered. I used a 'close to' colored marker on the carpet spots and it looks like new!

April 25, 2006 Flag

A mop bucket that contained water with bleach in it was knocked over on my carpet! Will it stain my blue carpet? Does anyone have any ideas on this subject? All replies are welcome!

Catherine from UK

I have dropped a bottle of bleach water on a blue carpet before and frantically tried to soak it up thinking I'd undoubtedly have a bleach spot there. I wasn't able to immediately soak it with anything so it did sit for perhaps 2 minutes. NOthing happened...I was totally surprised, and I'm not sure why it didn't bleach the carpet. Maybe the ratio of bleach to water was too low, or maybe the solution had set long enough for the bleach to lose its potency. At any rate I was extremely relieved.

Unfortunately you most likely will end up with carpet that is faded and bleached out. Especially since you have blue carpet. Blue is actually the color that is most readily damaged by bleaches and alkaline chemicals. It is possible, however, to repair this color damage.

I will share the same information that I posted for another individual who had spilled bleach on their carpet:

While there are some do-it-yourself spot dye kits available, this repair really should be left to a professional carpet dyeing company as it would be nearly impossible for an untrained person to achieve a good color match. Also, the bleach spot needs to be properly and fully neutralized, using a bleach neutralizer in order to prevent the spot from just fading out again once it has been repaired.

I would suggest that you check in your local telephone directory to locate a carpet dyeing professional who can perform this repair for you. You could also look for a company or individual online.

Hope this helps you!

Sincerely,

Chris Howell

www.colorfulcarpets.com

Maryland, USA

Read More Answers...

July 10, 2007 Flag

I have a small "bleached" spot from peroxide on my carpet, the carpet is tan and brand new; I don't know what to do. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Tammy from Japan

I've known people who used brewed tea to color the bleached spot.

If there is a closet in the room and has the same carpet in the closet you can cut a small piece out of the corner and replace the stained spot with it (glue it in place).

Read More Answers...

August 27, 2008 Flag

How can I remove/hide Clorox stains on carpet? I have a small Clorox stain on my carpet near the washer and I heard that there is some type of dye or spray that is available to cover it up. Has anyone heard this?

Onesummer

I've done this more times than I could count,,,lol,,,I've used rit liquid dye as close to matching the carpet as possible. Even mixing colors when it wasn't quite right. Dab on with a sponge lightly. Sometimes it gets darker as it dries so use sparingly at first.

I would just use a marker as close as possible to the carpet's color - use permanent marker if you can - but otherwise scraft markers will work fairly well, too but won't be as durable & waterproof. You can even use colored eyemakeup to color the spot!

December 3, 2010 Flag

I think this situation is hopeless, but thought I would at least try to see if someone has a solution. My granddaughter dropped grape Popsicle on my carpet and I was rattled and distracted when I went to clean it up. I picked up a spray bottle that had bleach as an ingredient in it and sprayed the carpet with it.

Needless to say, I now have an orange stain where the original stain was. My carpet is a tan/light brown color. Is there any hope at all for this? Thanks to all. I love all the tips I read and so appreciate this site.

By cnleatherman from New Creek WV

Answers:

Bleach Stain on Carpet

I would try a crayon in a color to match your carpet, color it, and take a paper towel and iron it on a low setting. I've never had that happen, but that is what I would try first. (06/22/2009)

By notwrong

Bleach Stain on Carpet

I think I would put a small rug over that area to hide the bleach stain. You can get carpet dyes over the 'net, but you'd run into a correct match problem and it may still be noticeable. (06/22/2009)

By Lorelei

Bleach Stain on Carpet

My suggestion would be to cut out the stained piece of carpet with a box knife (trying not to cut all the way through the carpet's under-pad). Then, using the cut-out piece as a pattern, cut out another piece of carpeting in the exact same size and shape from a place you can easily hide (like under the sofa, by the wall) then switch the pieces with each other and glue. Put the stained piece under the couch and put the nice looking piece in the spot where the bleach stain was. Lastly, after the glue is totally dried (the next day) take a toothbrush or your fingers and fluff the area all around the cut. If you do this right you'll never be able to tell the difference.

The carpet fibers will hide the cut. I've done this with regular carpet, shag, and Berber. It has always worked out well for me. I like to use "Fabri-Tac" fabric glue, but I'm sure there are also other good glues you could use. If you have hardwood right under under the carpeting (and not padding) you are gluing to, you'd better use a water soluble glue (like Elmer's school glue) so you can easily remove it if you ever want hardwood floor or, slide a piece of cardboard into the hole and under it then glue the patch to the cardboard. But it's much better to glue the patch to the carpet pad that's under the carpet. Also, while the glue is drying, don't walk on the patch, cover the patch with a box for a day or two.

* A note... If one patch is smaller than the hole, then while the glue is still wet, press some fibers into the area around the patch. These will help hide the area. You can also pull "fluff" (carpet lint) out of the carpet from all over (with your fingers and thumb) then use this "fluff" to glue into the area. But your best bet is to be careful when you cut out the patches so they match each other exactly. (06/22/2009)

By Cyinda

Bleach Stain on Carpet

Try using some acrylic craft paint that is the same color as your carpet or mix a couple to achieve the color and mix it with some fabric medium (sold in the same craft area). The medium keeps the paint from being stiff. You can sponge it in a few steps to keep it from globbing up. It may take a little work, but I think its a decent solution. (Practice first in a closet or if you have any left over or scrap carpeting that you can bleach to the same degree as your problem area, even better.) (06/23/2009)

By skb123

Bleach Stain on Carpet

I agree with skb123, but I would use fabric medium instead of regular medium. You have to understand colors and how to mix them to match this so it looks real though. I've done this myself in small areas where I've dripped bleach on the bathroom rug and in a small area (about half an inch round) and her technique did work! You need to do it in stages and let it dry for about an hour, then if it's not dark enough re-apply and do it again. Be sure to brush the acrylic paint mixed with fabric medium down into the carpet with a toothbrush. The medium is a milky whitish color, but dries totally clear. Do NOT use latex paint, but use 100% acrylic paint (from the craft store) instead! If you want a stronger tint, use Liquitex brand acrylic (made for artists) instead of hobby acrylic paint. Sometimes they put the hobby paints in a different area of the store from the artist paints.

When I did this, I used water with a tiny bit of acrylic hobby paint mixed in instead of using medium. The water makes it thinner and more like a dye instead of giving it a plastic (acrylic) feel. Try the water/paint only mixture first, then if you find you want it thicker, you can always use the medium, then if all else fails and you're not happy with the end result you can always cut out the patch like I described below. Hopefully, you'll know enough about mixing colors and what colors to use to mix to match your carpet's original color. If not, I'll try to help you over the Internet.

*PS: If you don't like the color, spray on a bit of water then quickly blot it up with a clean, dry wash cloth before it dries and sets up. (06/24/2009)

By Cyinda

Bleach Stain on Carpet

Stains are permanent color changes. They can be either added color or missing color. In referring to bleach stains, one or more of the primary colors are missing. Usually blue is the first color that is missing. Some of the red may be missing, also.

It is very simple to restore these missing colors if you have the correct information. The first step is to remove or neutralize the bleaching agent. The next step is to replace the missing blue, red, or yellow with the same type of dye that is found in the carpet. This is carpet mill dye. Common sense would tell you not to use other types of dye. This is a big mistake.

If the stain is only missing blue dye, then applying dilute dye a little at a time will restore the color to a perfect match. If red is missing also, we can tell by evaluating the color of the bleach stain as we apply blue dye. The stain will appear pale green if red dye is missing.

With a few simple rules, the homeowner need not fear, because at any step the stain is closer to the original color. Color repair should always be attempted before replacing the section with a patch.

We provide the correct information. If a person would like more information they may ask me by phone or email. My website is www. Bleachstain.com
    (12/09/2009)

By roperiam

Load More
    Home and Garden Repair Home FloorsAugust 9, 2012
    Repairing a Burn Hole in Carpet, Upclose photo of carpet.
    Repairing a Burn Hole in Carpet
    Homemade Softscrub Cleaner Recipe, Photo of cleaning bucket and supplies.
    Cleaning Yellow Bleach Stains in a Plastic Bathtub
    grease stain on carpet
    Cleaning Grease Stains on Carpet
    Cleaning Carpet
    Removing Vomit Stains from Carpet
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 22, 2016 at 7:03:43 PM on 10.0.0.67 in 780 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.