Repairing Bleach Stains on Carpet

Bleach spills can actually remove the color from your carpet. This is a guide about repairing bleach stains on carpet.

Bleach Bottle
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

March 5, 2007 Flag

Oh my God! I found the solution for bleached stains on carpets! Simple as this: crayons and a hair dryer. Just find the color matching your carpet and color it moving lightly over the stain, then use the dryer to "melt" the crayon (once you found the right match).

Comment On This PostMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 21, 2008 Flag

How do I get Clorox stains out of my carpet? My Clorox bottle tipped over and spilled and splashed some sections on my carpet. It now looks pinkish in color. Any suggestions?

Bridget from AZ

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

CUT IT OUT AND GLUE A PIECE FROM AN INCONSPICUOUS SPOT IN TO THAT PLACE. LIKE FROM A CLOSET ETC.

Agreed that you can't "undo" what's been done.

If you do decide to replace the area w/a piece of carpet, say, from inside a hall closet, be sure to cut both the old and new pieces as a wavey circle shape of sorts. This will help "hide" the lines of the cut once replaced. If you cut it as a square shape they will be easily seen and always shifting, or the corners curling up. (I worked for a carpet retailer/wholesaler/installer/freighter for several years.)

It would actually be best to hire a reputable, professional carpet installer to do this job.

Agreed, once the bleach has had time to 'set' you're pretty-much stuck with the consequences. You could try re-dying the carpet however here's another who agrees: replace that piece of carpet with a piece that was underneath furniture; you could switch the pieces; most people won't see a 'bad dye job' that's underneath furniture - smile. I've had this problem with carpet and clothing. My attempts at restoring color have yet been satisfactory however I'll keep on trying until I'm happy with the results.

Good luck with your efforts. Keep us posted :o)

Read More Answers...

October 7, 2014 Flag

I accidentally spilled bleach on my cream colored carpet and it left a yellowish stain. Does anyone know how to get it out?

By Hannah W.

This is not actually a stain that you can 'get out'. You removed the color from the carpet. You only really have a couple of options. If you have some scraps of the carpet left:

1. Try to create a stain that will match it. Try coffee, tea, Rit dye, face powder, cinnamon, ginger or something else. Try it on a scrap before you try it on your carpet!

2. If you can not stain it, replace it with a piece of the scrap. This should only be undertaken by a professional or after you have practiced it with old carpet!

3. Stain your entire carpet with bleach to match.

4. Learn to live with it.

Good luck

April 28, 2012 Flag

I was walking around checking things out and spilled Clorox on the carpet. I tried everything to get it out. Two weeks later I am still trying with no luck. Do you have any suggestions

By Izzabele from Scottsbluff, NE

You will not be able to "get it out" as what you have done is bleached out the color of the rug. If you have extra piece of the rug, either left over from the install, or in the back of a closet, you can cut out a square which includes the bleached out part, cut a square the same size from your remnant, and using double faced carpet tape, secure it to the pad. Good luck!

I've done this. I bought Rit dye and put some (not all) in a clear glass added some water until I got what appeared a similar color. With a picture paintbrush, I painted the carpet. It's easier to start with a lighter color and add more if needed. I let it dry and it's permanent.

Our new carpet was only a week old and I fixed an entire hallway. My spouse never knew. (You can always mix different colors of Rit together - I used small portions of powered Rit, not liquid - it seemed too potent.) Blotting helps too, it helps get the color down more deeply.

I've done this. I bought Rit dye and put some (not all) in a clear glass added some water until I got what appeared a similar color. With a picture paintbrush, I painted the carpet. It's easier to start with a lighter color and add more if needed. I let it dry and it's permanent. Our new carpet was only a week old and I fixed an entire hallway. My spouse never knew. (You can always mix different colors of Rit together - I used small portions of powered Rit, not liquid - it seemed too potent.) Blotting helps too, it helps get the color down more deeply.

December 3, 2010 Flag

My new avocado colored carpet has a large bleach stain. Now I have a large lavender colored area. Help!

By Donna from NJ

I just moved across country a few months ago, and when I was unpacking the box I had packed my bleach in, I found that the bleach had spilled in the box, and also leaked through the bottom of the box onto the carpet. Does anyone have suggestions on touching up the carpet? I know I probably can't actually remove the bleach- that would be nice, though! It only left a few small spots, on tan carpet. Any suggestions, anyone?

Emily in Mississippi

Aside from buying carpet dyes over the 'net and then they won't dye the same shade, so why not buy an area rug and lay over the top to hide it?

Since it's a new carpet hopefully you're talking about wall to wall carpet and hopefully you have remnants from when the carpet was installed. If so, hire a professional to do a patch job with the remnants.

June 7, 2010 Flag

I have some kind of pimple medicine and my cousin split it on my rug. It had some kind of bleach in it, so it turned a big spot of my tan carpet orange. I tried this kind of stain remover for carpets and it didn't work. Then I used Spray and Wash which also didn't work. So what can I do? Can anyone help me please?

cheergirl

The spot is probably bleached & hence the colored spot. I would suggest trying to fill in the color with permanent markers the same color as the rug. Or cut a piece of rug (if it's wall to wall) & try to patch it, or put another small rug on top of it.

I have a gray carpet with black design in it. I spilled a little bleach on it, so I had a black sharpie and colored it black. Now you can't even tell where the stain was. These Sharpies come in different colors. Good Luck!

Whatever is in acne medication is a bleach on fabrics. People find stains on towels and the necks of dark shirts as well. You cannot remove this stain from the rug, as it is not actually a stain. The medication has removed the color from the rug. You must do what others have suggested -- either try to camouflage the spot with colored markers, replace that piece of rug with another piece cut from inside the closet or under the sofa or from scraps you might have, or put a throw rug or a piece of furniture on top of it.

November 19, 2013 Flag

I have a dark green carpet that dog urine has spoiled and several cleaners and stain removals later the carpet is 'bleached out'. What can I do to remove/colour the stains please?

By Reg

Some business that clean carpets (the larger businesses) can also dye carpet in place in your home.

May 15, 2014 Flag

My bath vanity area carpet has a few spots on it where bleach had splattered. I used a 'close to' colored marker on the carpet spots and it looks like new!

April 25, 2006 Flag

A mop bucket that contained water with bleach in it was knocked over on my carpet! Will it stain my blue carpet? Does anyone have any ideas on this subject? All replies are welcome!

Catherine from UK

If there was chlorine bleach in the water that was spilled on your carpet, it will remove the color from your carpet and leave a white spot.

I have dropped a bottle of bleach water on a blue carpet before and frantically tried to soak it up thinking I'd undoubtedly have a bleach spot there. I wasn't able to immediately soak it with anything so it did sit for perhaps 2 minutes. NOthing happened...I was totally surprised, and I'm not sure why it didn't bleach the carpet. Maybe the ratio of bleach to water was too low, or maybe the solution had set long enough for the bleach to lose its potency. At any rate I was extremely relieved.

Unfortunately you most likely will end up with carpet that is faded and bleached out. Especially since you have blue carpet. Blue is actually the color that is most readily damaged by bleaches and alkaline chemicals. It is possible, however, to repair this color damage.

I will share the same information that I posted for another individual who had spilled bleach on their carpet:

While there are some do-it-yourself spot dye kits available, this repair really should be left to a professional carpet dyeing company as it would be nearly impossible for an untrained person to achieve a good color match. Also, the bleach spot needs to be properly and fully neutralized, using a bleach neutralizer in order to prevent the spot from just fading out again once it has been repaired.

I would suggest that you check in your local telephone directory to locate a carpet dyeing professional who can perform this repair for you. You could also look for a company or individual online.

Hope this helps you!

Sincerely,

Chris Howell

www.colorfulcarpets.com

Maryland, USA

Read More Answers...

July 10, 2007 Flag

I have a small "bleached" spot from peroxide on my carpet, the carpet is tan and brand new; I don't know what to do. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Tammy from Japan

I have used colored markers and just feather it in. I have bought the big set you can find at the the dollar store. It might take a combination of colors. There are usually more than one shade of each color. Test it in a corner first.

I've known people who used brewed tea to color the bleached spot.

If there is a closet in the room and has the same carpet in the closet you can cut a small piece out of the corner and replace the stained spot with it (glue it in place).

August 27, 2008 Flag

How can I remove/hide Clorox stains on carpet? I have a small Clorox stain on my carpet near the washer and I heard that there is some type of dye or spray that is available to cover it up. Has anyone heard this?

Onesummer

I've done this more times than I could count,,,lol,,,I've used rit liquid dye as close to matching the carpet as possible. Even mixing colors when it wasn't quite right. Dab on with a sponge lightly. Sometimes it gets darker as it dries so use sparingly at first.

I would just use a marker as close as possible to the carpet's color - use permanent marker if you can - but otherwise scraft markers will work fairly well, too but won't be as durable & waterproof. You can even use colored eyemakeup to color the spot!

Home and Garden Repair Home FloorsAugust 9, 2012
    Repairing a Burn Hole in Carpet, Upclose photo of carpet.
    Repairing a Burn Hole in Carpet
    Homemade Softscrub Cleaner Recipe, Photo of cleaning bucket and supplies.
    Cleaning Yellow Bleach Stains in a Plastic Bathtub
    grease stain on carpet
    Cleaning Grease Stains on Carpet
    Cleaning Carpet
    Removing Vomit Stains from Carpet
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 28, 2016 at 8:07:18 PM on 10.0.0.85 in 371 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.