Replacing the Canopy on a Patio Swing

Time and the elements can take their toll on the fabric canopy of your outdoor swing. Rather than purchasing an entirely new swing you can replace the canopy. This is a guide about replacing canopy on a patio swing.

October 10, 2008 Flag

I have an old aluminum lawn swing which needed a new canopy. The cushions were easy to replace but I need a canopy. I went to a hardware store and bought a vinyl roll up shade (could be bamboo) and placed it over the top of the swing. I tied it down with plastic slip ties. It has lasted over three years now and is easy to keep clean.

By Mary C. from Newark, CA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Top Comment

Brilliant Mary C on the roll-up window shade to replace my patio swing canopy!!! $20 window shade (plastic) & zip ties done in less than an hour.

Unroll, remove strings and bottom plastic "bar." Place over canopy, roll back up to desired length (bottom of shade without the bar or keep on if you want a bit of privacy), zip tie to frame! For added support I cut the bottom plastic bar & zip tied to middle of canopy as mine didn't have one. Then Steve came up with using pieces of the bar to support the zip ties on the top of the canopy.

Best part, it will not blow away as the wind goes thru the shade.

Love this site. Can't wait to discover more thrifty ways!

July 22, 2016 Flag

Replacement Canopy for an Outdoor Swing

CommentPin It!Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This guide is about making a replacement canopy for an outdoor swing. When the awning for an outdoor swing gets torn or tattered you may be able to fashion a new canopy.

September 28, 2016 Flag

Garden swing with canopy

This is a guide about replacement canopy frame for garden treasures swing. With the proper measurements you may be able to order a replacement canopy frame.

June 26, 2011 Flag

Does anyone know an easy inexpensive way to replace the canopy that goes over a swing? Mine fell apart from just normal sun/weather exposure. The frame and rest of the swing is fine. I don't really want to have to replace the whole thing (too expensive) if I don't have to. Help!

By Michelle

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Or, use a piece of canvas tarp.

Outdoor fabric is sold at a discount by fabric.com, not a plug. I don't even live in the US. I just did a search and a lot of it is priced at 8.98 a yard and it's 54 inches wide. If you talk with them about your project, you will find they are really helpful. And your swing would look so nice.

I actually found a small childs tent that was just the right size to replace mine, at a yard sale. Take the measurements and you may find just the thing to work for you.

Pat

We had one of these swings also. And the top rotted off by the end of that first summer. I used an old twin size sheet to just pin it over the top frame. You can pick up good sheets at a thrift store. Maybe you could find just the right thing there also. GG Vi

May 29, 2012 Flag

I am looking for a replacement canopy for a three-seat hammock swing that I purchased from Walmart a few years ago. The canopy top resembles a gazebo top. It is stationary (does not pivot) and angles up from the four sides to a flat top in the center similar to a roof.

By Kathy D.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My canopy wore out on my swing. Well I had bought some twin fitted sheets a long while back very cheap. What I did was take two twin fitted sheets and take out the corners and hem with rubber off long side of each fitted sheet and I measured the canopy frame. Then I sewed the two pieces together. I was trying to make a new fitted sheet for my pillow top mattress.

Well, I couldn't get the flat sheet to fit right so I accidentally tried the new fitted sheet on my canopy frame and it fit perfectly. So now I have a cover again and I can change the pattern anytime I want. My frame happened to be the same size as my pillow top mattress. I was a little time consuming to tear out the old seams, but saved me a lot of money for a replacement.

April 15, 2015 Flag

Where can I purchase a durable top for an outdoor double glider? The frame over the glider is wood and is flat with a slight curve in the middle. The frame is 46" by 94". It is Amish made if that helps.

By Sharon K. from Central FL by Ocala

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 21, 2013 Flag

Where would I find a canopy for my two man recliner swing?

By Marjorie

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 14, 2012 Flag

I have a 6 foot x 12 foot worn/torn area on the front edge of my deck roll out canopy and need help. Can anyone come up with suggestions or a solution to repair it?
Thank you.

By Ang

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 28, 2010 Flag

Has anyone made a replacement canopy for an outdoor swing?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 18, 2009 Flag

I have a canopied glider swing that needs serious help. It's less than 2 years old, but due to the fierce Arizona heat, the canopy is totally shredded from sun-rot. How can I salvage the rest of the swing, which is in perfect condition?

Kathy from AZ

Answers:

Getting a Replacement Canopy for a Garden Swing

I had the same problem with my 3-seater swing. This summer I fixed my canopy with a tarp I bought at the local home improvement store. Since my swing is dark green with tan and brown cushions, I got a brown plastic tarp. Cut it to size so it had about 4-5 inches overhang for the ruffle, centered it on the canopy frame, attached it with those plastic zip ties (where they would not show), and now have a temporary canopy cover that looks just fine until I can locate a replacement or come up with a better idea for a replacement. I saw one house that had put the same type of tarp on their swing only it was in blue. I think mine looks better cause the brown matches the cushion colors. Just a thought. (06/06/2008)

By Indy Fayzer

Always wanting a new set for myself but never wanting to spend $150 or more for one I just never got one. Then my daughter's got totally rotten and weather beaten, torn, and even mildewed. She was going to throw it away and I took it. Knowing how to sew I knew I could redo the whole thing. So I stripped the whole thing saving one of everything as my pattern and then bought fabric at Walmart for $1.00 a yard. It required 8 yards. You can buy any type fabric, but I chose a polyester stretch fabric in rust color which I love.

I repainted the frame with Krylon paint in a Georgia clay rust color and then made all new fabric pieces for it. It turned out great. I plan on taking off the complete fabric pieces each fall and wash and dry and store away for each summer so it remains like new. The top canopy was the easiest part to do. It was basically one long piece square. I just put the fabric across it and clipped with clamps in place letting it hang as I wanted. Then I stood underneath it and used chalk to mark a line on both sides along the poles underneath top so I would know where to add a fabric casing. Which I then sewed on in the under side. Then you just undo the poles and slide through the casing onto the poles. I just used a serger on the edges to give it interest.

So you could just pick a color fabric close to your existing fabric on it to match and do the same. Here is my after picture of mine I redid. Wish I had the before picture to show the set was terrible looking. But I have one now and only spent $8 on the fabric $10 on the batting for it. By the way, the insides of those cushions from the factory, the pads are just simply air filters like ones that go in your air conditioner unit. But they have no paper glued around them. It's the type of stuff like water ponds are lined with because it does not absorb water. So on the backs of my cushions I used just plain batting (like in making quilts), but on the bottom cushions I used air conditioning filters and just took off the paper so it did not get wet. We had had 2 hard rains since they were finished and the whole thing dries really fast. (06/06/2008)

By theseamstress

RE: Getting a Replacement Canopy for a Garden Swing

We stretched a fitted twin bed sheet on our swing frame where the canopy was. (06/07/2008)

By Jellybean in LA

In my day, a friend or myself, would take the canopy off the frame, take the stitching out, and use the pieces for a pattern, to make a new one. Hope you have a friend that sews! C Bolin, Winchester, VA (06/08/2008)

By Guest

I replaced my canopy with a large vinyl tablecloth. Sewed seams where the original canopy had them and was able to get another five years out of the replacement. Walmart and Target always have a large selection of colors and prints.

Hannah (06/10/2008)

We had the same problem. We went to Wal-mart and got some canvas material, cut out the shape of the canopy, stapled it in place, good as new. It doesn't match the cushions, but serves the purpose. Remember to get enough to cover both sides if you want to. (06/11/2008)

By Donna J.

Try Garden Ridge, Home Depot, Lowe's, Wal-Mart, or even Target. If you sew, have you thought of using the old one as a pattern and making your own? (06/11/2008)

By Linda S.

Check out Snappy Canopy on Ebay (06/26/2008)

By Vicki E.

I've been looking for a replacement canopy for quite a while and just found out Garden Winds (http://www.gardenwinds.com) has it. (08/26/2008)

I replaced mine with shade cloth, saving the old fabric to use as a pattern (10/21/2008)

By Cheryl

I covered my 40 year old lawn swing with a plastic bamboo shade I bought at the hardware store. They come in green, white or beige color. They also come in different widths. I just draped it over the wing and tied it down with the draw cords. It took about 15 minutes and cost about $14.00. You could also use a real bamboo shade. I tried that first but it got black mildew as I left it out all winter. The plastic one I have had on the swing for 2 years with no problem. (10/21/2008)

By Mary C.

Easy peasy. I used an old fitted double sheet over the frame. I used four grommets across from each other, on the underside, and then used a bungee cord to secure it. It fits very well, and I got to use an old sheet that I couldn't use anymore (no more double size mattress). (06/03/2009)

By lemort_1

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 21, 2008 Flag

Does anyone know where I might find a replacement canopy for an outdoor/freestanding garden swing that's not too expensive? We've had the swing for several years, and it's been a good one, however the canopy has weathered and is becoming threadbare.

I saw a suggestion on another site to check Big Lots but the closest one (next town over) does not have any. I've only found a few online, and they're around $50-80. I know I could probably buy a whole new swing for almost that amount but prefer not to as my swing is still in pretty good condition. I don't want to be wasteful! Any ideas are greatly appreciated!

Leah from Shelbyville, TN

Answers:

I had the same problem with my 3-seater swing. This summer I fixed my canopy with a tarp I bought at the local home improvement store. Since my swing is dk green with tan & brown cushions, I got a brown plastic tarp.

Cut it to size so it had about 4-5 inches overhang for the ruffle, centered it on the canopy frame, attached it with those plastic zip ties, (where they would not show) and now have a temporary canopy cover that looks just fine until I can locate a replacement OR come up with a better idea for a replacement. I saw one house that had put the same type of tarp on their swing only it was in blue! I think mine looks better cause the brown matches the cushion colors. Just a thought. (06/06/2008)

By Indy Fayzer

Hi Leah. I too had a time figuring out what to do with my defunct swing canopy. I bought a brown plastic tarp from the local home improvement store, cut it to size, with about 4 to 5 inches overhang(for the ruffle), used plastic zip ties(had to create holes around the edge in the tarp for them where they didn't show) And 'waa-laa', a frugal canopy for the time being!! Since my swing is dk green and tan/brown cushions, the brown tarp looks just fine(AND the tarps are cheap to buy). Just a thought for you to consider for your swing. (06/06/2008)

By Indy Fayzer

Always wanting a new set for myself but never wanting to spend $150 or more for one I just never got one. Then my daughters go totallty rotten and weather beaten and torn even mildewed.She was going to throw it away and I took it. Knowing how to sew I knew I could redo the whole thing. So I stripped the whole thing saving one of everything as my pattern and then bought fabric at walmart for $1.00 a yard which it required 8 yards.

You can buy any type fabric but I choose a polyester stretch fabric in rust color which I love. I repainted the frame with krylon paint in a Georgia clay rust color them made all new fabric pieces for it. It turned out great. I plan on taking off the complete fabric pieces each fall and wash & dry and store away to each summer so it remains like new. The top canopy was the easiest part to do. It was basically one long piece square.

I just put the fabric across it clipped with clamps in place letting it hang as I wanted then I stood underneath it and used chalk to mark a line on both sides along the poles underneath top so I would know where to add a fabric casing. Which I then sewed on in the under side. Then you just undo the poles and slide through the casing onto the poles. I just used a serger on the edges to give it interest.

So you could just pick a color fabric close to your existing fabric on it to match and do the same. here is my after picture of mine I redid. Which I had the before picture to show the set was terible looking. But I have one now and only spent $8 on the fabric $10 on the batting for it. By the way, the insides of those cushions from the factory the pads are just simply air filters like go in your airconditioner unit. But they have no paper glued around them.

Its the type stuff like water ponds are lined with because it does not absorb water. So on the backs of my cushions I used just plain batting like in making quilts but on the bottom cushions I used air conditioning filters and just took off the paper so it did not get wet. We had had 2 hard rains since they were finished and the whole thing dries really fast. (06/06/2008)

By theseamstress

By Jellybean in La.

In my day, a friend or myself, would take the canopy off the frame, take the stitching out, and use the pieces for a PATTERN, to MAKE a new one. Hope you have a friend that sews! C Bolin, Winchester, VA (06/08/2008)

By Guest

Do you think a picnic table cloth would work? Maybe two? It is almost the same idea as the tarp. The tarp and the table cloth idea seem more weather proof than just material. Good luck. (06/10/2008)

By Michele

I replaced my canopy with a large vinyl tablecloth. Sewed seams where the original canopy had them and was able to get another five years out of the replacement. Walmart and Target always have a large selection of colors and prints. (06/10/2008)

By Hannah

We had the same problem. We went to Wal-mart got some canvas material, cut out the shape of the canopy, stapled it in place . good as new. It doesn't match the cushions, but serves the purpose. Remember to get enough to cover both sides if you want to. (06/11/2008)

By Donna J.

By Linda S.

By Vicki E.

Hey All! I know it's been a while, but I did it! I ordered some acrylic fabric on ebay for about $20 (including shipping) & made my canopy! That fabric should last a while (it's what professional awning, etc. are made of)! To "theseamstress", thanks for the idea of marking the corners underneath to be able to place the corner pockets in the exact fitting places (used a black sharpie)! THANK YOU ALL for your great responses & wonderful input!

Leah (08/04/2008)

By gonecrazyhunting

I've been looking for a replacement canopy for quite a while and just found Garden Winds (http://www.gardenwinds.com) has it! (08/26/2008)

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Repair Furniture OutdoorMay 18, 2013
Garden swing with canopy
Finding a Replacement Canopy for a Garden Treasures Swing
Replacing a Dishwasher
Replacing a Dishwasher
Replacement Canopy for an Outdoor Swing
Making a Replacement Canopy for an Outdoor Swing
Blue Chairs and Table on Patio
Repairing Patio Furniture
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 24, 2017 at 1:57:09 AM on 10.0.1.11 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.