Riding Mower Keeps Shutting Off

Category Lawn Mowers
The lawn is in desperate need of mowing and your mower keeps shutting off. This is a guide about riding mower keeps shutting off.

I have a Poulan 15.5 38in riding mower. It will start and run for a few minutes and then shut off. Then it will not start until it cools down. I have cleaned the carburetor, replaced plug, and cleaned the air filter. The carburetor is overflowing with fuel.

I have taken the switch off of the fuel bowl and hooked it up to the harness and the plunger comes down when I turn the switch on, but when I turn it off it does not come up. Is that the problem?

By Denny from Greenville, SC

Answer Was this helpful? 2
Best Answer

The carburetor isn't suppose to be holding that much fluid. I asked my husband about this problem and he thinks something is screwed up with the carburetor, like the float that is suppose to regulate amount of fuel.

Best Answer

The coil is probally no good. When coil cools off, it will start again, then when it is hot again, it will shut off.

If you keep gas in it during the winter it gums up the lawn mower carb also make sure to use non oxigenated gas in it then won't happen as much as the regular gas sold otherwise use a fuel stabilizer in it during storage times you will have to take carb off and rebuild or have it taken to shop if you can't do it but you tube has videos on how to do it's pretty simple

My Husqvarna rider, after you start it, if you try to start blades it shuts down. If you put the key in and mow in reverse mode it works fine. I want to fix this problem before I give it away or sell it. It's three yrs old.

Anonymous

Check your warranty. Ours came with a 3 year warranty, you might have that problem covered.

How do I disable the seat safety switch on my Poulan Pro Model PP194A42? I only weigh 95 lbs and the mower keeps shutting off because I am not heavy enough!

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Show me why riding lawn mower won't keep running

Not advised to do so but if you did you would take wires off and put them together and make sure they are taped together well and can't short out on anything else

My John Deere mower keeps cutting off after the engine warms up. I can cut grass for about 3 minutes, then it will start cutting off. I don't want to have to keep cranking the engine. It will turn over, but will shut off again. Any ideas?

By Lincoln

Best Answer

When my push mower did that, a friend told me that it was most likely gas trash or gunk stopping the fuel and that it was getting stuck in the jet soon after I'd start mowing, then might release later and would let it through again, etc., which sounded about right.

I looked on YouTube for a video on how to clean the float area in the carburetor. It was easy, and I found a lot of tiny accumulated bits of gunk that would block off the fuel as it tried to pass through the teensy jet. After spraying it all with carburetor cleaner and cleaning it a few times, just as the video will show you how to do on your particular brand mower motor, it's worked fine ever since.

Also, since then, I use a funnel with a coffee filter in it and filter every drop of gas that goes into the gas tank, just to be SURE nothing else gets in there, and I've had a summer of great mowing and no further problems. (I'm a 54 year old woman, by the way, so don't say you can't do this, almost anyone can, even if you have to bring the part in and sit in front of your computer while watching the video, which, yes, don't laugh, I did. I've also fixed my neighbor's mower when the same thing was happening, same results. Not bad for a can of carburetor cleaner that only cost a couple dollars at Walmart! :^)

It may be fuel starvation. I had a snow blower and the gas line had a kink in it I did'nt know about. The mower would run long enough for me to plow about 10 feet then shut off. I would restart and repeat the cycle. Between the time when the blower stopped and I restarted was enought time for the gas to refill the gas line. I noticed a kink in the gas line. When it was straighten out the blower worked just fine.

Change and clean carb if you don't use non oxigenated gas it will create little round balls of stuff in carb otherwise put a little stabilizer in gas if you can't find non oxigenated gas in your area or run it dry each time and make sure you use the most new fuel each fill up I stop using anything except non oxigenated in things a few years ago and now no problems with any of the small engines

I have a John Deere 900 diesel that cuts out when the revs are put up high.
Can anyone help?

I have a John Deere L130 mower. It runs for an hour then acts as if it's starving for fuel. If I wait 15-20 minutes, it starts right up and it's good for 45 to an hour and it does it again.

By Rod

I don't think it is the battery and certainly not the spark plug. I have a new John Deere that when I first purchased the unit the mower would not start and I thought it was the battery. I would would charge the battery and finally bought a new battery. Still had the same problem. So I visited two John Deere dealers and they told me the valves were out of alignment. Thought they were nuts but one told me it was the problem the Briggs and Stratton engine. To fix the problem short of have them repair the valves was to turn the air strainer that sits on top of the engine counter clockwise until there is resistance to the turning. I did that and the mower started right up. So, now I have to turn the strainer either clock wise or counter clock wise to start the mower.The dealer said he could fix the valves but I would be back next year to have the valves set again. The mower has been used only 43 hours.

clean the gas tank and replace the filter

I have a Craftsman riding lawnmower. It starts, but after a few minutes it turns off as though it runs out of gas. It has plenty of gas, the starter is new, new fuel pump, new battery, but it still turns of after only a few minutes running.

By Joe from E Town

Answers:

Why Does My Riding Mower Keep Shutting Off?

Try cleaning the reservoir that holds the spark plugs and changing your spark plugs, you need this maybe once or twice a year depending on how much you cut your grass. (05/02/2010)

By kimsukie

I have a Mastercut riding lawnmower with a Tecumseh 12.5hp engine. It keeps cutting off after running for 15-20 minutes. Then it starts right back up and does it again. If I catch it before it shuts off I can keep it running with the choke. I replaced the carburetor, it's brand new. Does anybody have any ideas?

By Ricky from Jacksonville, FL

Answers:

Call some businesses who specialize in small engine repair, you might be able to find the answer to your question.

If you are still having problems take it to a professional. (05/26/2010)

By MCW