Selling Items on Craigslist

There are no fees when selling items on Craigslist, but there are other things you should keep in mind. This guide is about selling items on Craigslist.

Photo of Craigslist's website homepage.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

June 21, 2012 Flag

Many people are now selling on Craigslist and on Facebook swap sites. I can't get over how many of the photo ads show the item for sale covered in dust and in a filthy setting. If you are selling an item and it looks like this, people are going to naturally assume that you didn't take good care of it, and will not want to give you top dollar.

Clean the item before taking the picture and make sure it is in a clean setting. If I want to buy a TV, I want to buy a clean one, not one covered with dust and with a dirty litter box beside it and a diaper on top of it in the picture. If you are selling electronics, make sure the item is clean, with no dust between keys or in air vents. If the item is fabric (clothing, curtains, or bedding) make sure it is clean and well aired out, not smelling musty, or smelling like animals or smoke.

When you go to meet your buyer, don't have them come to your home unless you know them. Instead, meet them in a public place, such as Walmart or McDonalds in the parking lot. Women, take a man with you, even if it is the neighbor, for safety reasons. Specify to the seller you are selling for cash only, no checks, and that you will not have change, so they will have the correct amount.

By April from NW, MO

Comment On This PostMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 5, 2015 Flag

How do I present items for sale on Craig's list?

By JPH

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Easy!!! Just go to Craig's List and follow the directions. However, I have a wikihow answer as well:

http://www.wikihow.com/Sell-Items-on-Craigslist

Go to the Craigslist in your area.You will have to set up an account with them in order to post.It's free.When you are ready to post,go to the area that you want your ad to appear in,furnitue,free,materials,etc.In the top right you will see a 'Post" .Click on this,then you will have to sign into your account.Follow directions from there.I suggest that you also post a picture for the buyers to see the item.Good Luck!

February 16, 2015 Flag

Could you walk me through step by step to download pictures of my equipment that I have for sale to Craigslist or eBay?

By jes-real from Ft. Lauderdale, FL

Best Answer

It is very easy once you fine your picture on Craig's list just right click select copy image than paste it in a document. Or in Photoshop or you can do a screen capture hold down alt then click print screen then paste either in a document or Photoshop. But if you do print screen you will get everything that is on the screen and you'll need to edit it.

February 28, 2013 Flag

How do I know if someone wants to buy my things? I've recently posted things on Craigslist. I don't have an account and I put my email as private. I believe I've done everything right on there. I just want to know if they will b able to contact me even though Ii didn't give my #?

By Erika A.

Hi - the only information anyone looking on Craig's list will be able to see is the info in the ad. Contact for any information goes to Craig's list and is forwarded to you. Then you decide how you wish to answer - if at all.

At lease that is how it works for me.

All are good points. I used to live next to a KFC and would meet people there. No one should see your email address unless you unclick that option.

And yes, if the person has poor grammar, and makes over blown comments like "I have cash and must get it now" then you are better off ignoring them. Here's what will happen

They will have your email, and send you a response like this "Don't sell your precious items...visit this website to make money at home..."

Nothing is worse when you are trying to sell something than to think you have someone interested, only to find out you are being spammed.

Also, never offer to send something before it's paid for, 2nd party deals, or things CL doesn't recommend you agree to.

Here is my philosophy for your consideration.

Selling heavy stuff or things one has to drive away (sometimes you just have to tell people where you are but always have someone with you), are better for CL. You get cash, it's free and it's local so there is all that.

But say you have a bunch of jewelry you want to sell. Ebay might cost you a little money but more people see it than just the people in your town. It's light to ship, your money is instant and it's done.

You might also want to try other sites like tophatter.com and this google search

http://www.similarsitesearch.com/alternatives-to/ebay.com

Good luck. Sandi/PBP

Read More Answers...

January 4, 2010 Flag

We buy a lot of items on craigslist and if the listing doesn't have a picture attached then we usually just pass it by. So, when selling something on Craigslist always include a picture of the item you are selling. As the saying goes "A picture says a thousand words."

By Sharon from Modesto, CA

May 22, 2007 Flag

If you have a few items that are in good shape and want to sell, try Craigslist.com. It's a community based website where you list your items with photos for free and people in your area look for items. I have sold a ton of my stuff here.

By Carol from Massachusetts

Editor's Note: Click on the link above, do not post things for sale in the feedback at ThriftyFun. They will just be deleted.

October 3, 2010 Flag

How do I sell used appliances on Craigslist?

By Linda

Please be careful - there was a story on the news in Milwaukee of a guy who was selling a big screen TV on craigslist. He made an appointment for a man to meet him at his home at 6:00 pm when he got off work to look at the TV. When he got home, the person had broken into his home and stolen the TV. I'd look and see if there is a local yahoo group selling in your area or something that might be safer. A woman was recently on Oprah whose boyfriend posted an ad on her on craiglist and she was raped and beaten - that caused someone to order them to remove their adult section. Don't you have a local paper to advertise in?

I use CL all the time to buy and sell.Just be careful as you have to do anywhere now. I do not put my phone # in my adds or my address. They can reply to an ad through CL and give you their contact info. If someone is coming to your home, have someone else there with you. Never let a stranger in if you are alone. When posting, do not post your address, only the area that you live in. Have fun, but use common sense also. Kathy Lea

Read More Answers...

February 1, 2012 Flag

I have several new items that I'd like to sell on Craigslist. I've been told that photos need to be of almost professional quality so that the items will sell quickly. Since I have an average digital camera, but no lighting equipment, do any TF members have some good pointers for how I can take good photos? Thanks for your help!

By Casey E from Allen, TX

Thanks so much for your responses; appreciate your taking the time to do so!

Blessings...

I've never sold anything using online pictures, but I have created a number of tutorials for my sewing students, using a cheap digital camera. I've learned (LOL) that even with the macro setting, the very best pics that cheap camera manages are the ones taken right by the window on a strongly lit day, or best of all, outside.

Even with flash and excellent artificial lighting inside, my cheap camera doesn't take a good indoor shot at all! I could upgrade but I like the camera.

I keep the sewing machine in a cabinet table by the southern exposure window so the lighting there is outstanding for 'on-the-machine' shots. But if I have something that isn't under the needle, I use the extended area to the left of my machine for the shots.

For anything I photograph outside needing to be seen under the needle, I use one of my vintage hand crank models. The outdoor snaps are actually rather charming to my sewing students-a couple of them have printed some of the snaps and put the prints up in their sewing rooms.

A previous poster is right, a lot of those online photos are rubbish, lol. Anything you can do to improve the lighting conditions, and the display value (as in 'oh how cute, I want that!') of the piece will be a huge draw.

Read More Answers...

September 14, 2012 Flag

I have posted on Craigslist before with no problems. Now, after I fill in the details of items to sell and then I upload pictures, but there is: no "continue", "done" or for that matter anything at the top or bottom of the page to finalize my posting.
I have tried to contact CL help numerous times, but they are of no use and their phone number contact is also not helpful.

I have asked this question about a week ago, but the answers were to scroll down to the bottom of the page or to look for "I'm done" or "continue" and click. Perhaps the readers missed that those options were not available to me. Nor was there a tab to click to take me to the next page.

Please help. Thank you.

Please don't ask me to contact Craigslist help or to call them, neither option is any help. The help desk keeps sending me an auto response with no connection to my question.

By Tony

Tony, I just posted something on the Long Island Craigslist and had no problems. Perhaps you just need to change the resolution of your screen? I have had to change the resolution on some websites I visit because the image they present is too large for my screen, so I click on the button at the bottom of the screen that says "100%" with the arrow next to it, and reduce the image to 85% or 75% or whatever makes it fit - you can customize the zoom to any number you like. Maybe this is why you don't see the "continue" button at the bottom? The alternate way to reduce the image is to click on "View", then "Zoom", then move your cursor to the %.

I had to click on a link in an email from Craigslist after I finished my posting, and had no problem there either - did you get a message and skip this step?

The last thing I can think of, is perhaps you could try another browser - sometimes I can do things in Interet Explorer 8 that I can't do with Chrome, and vice versa.

Hope this helps. If not, instead of Craigslist help, try eHow, or Answers.com, or else Googling your problem.

If you recently downloaded the latest upgrade from Firefox that's probably the problem. Go back & delete it. Or, turn off your popup blocker. Or, worse yet you've picked up a nasty virus or Malware bug. That's what happened to me.

September 8, 2012 Flag

I have posted on Craigslist before with no problems. Now, after I fill in the details of items to sell and then upload pictures, there is no "continue" or "done", on the page to finalize my posting. I have tried to contact CL help numerous times, but they are of no use and their phone number contact is also not helpful. Any suggestions?

By Tony

When you have done all the uploading, it should say Continue, Edit Text or Edit Images. When you hit Continue, your next page gives you the "your posting can be seen at..." then it's the link to what you just did. Every once in a while, they get a hickup like any other site.

Sometimes I forget that you now have to scroll down to the bottom of the screen, where as before you didn't have to.

As for contacting them, yeah, that is a joke.

Good luck.

They have now made it a 2-page process. the second page is for the images, after which you click on ""done with images" or something similar, then scroll down to the bottom for the "continue" and then another page comes up saying you are finished.

January 5, 2014 Flag

How do you start when you sell an item on Craigs list?

By James

http://www.craigslist.org/about/help/how_to_post

This will give you a step-by-step how to. Very good idea to show pictures of your item.

The instructions start out saying, "Follow the steps below to submit a free post to craigslist without using an account." (It is better to have an account, which is free, so you can edit your ad as needed).

I sold my car on Craigslist. You might sell your item fast, it might take weeks or not at all. You have to repost every so often. Also, you can either have people call you or text or email. Specify in detail what you want. NEVER except a check , only cash! Beware of letting strangers in your home, try not to be alone, or keep them outside. I wasted a couple of weekends waiting for people who called about coming to see my car, and never showed, didn't answer their phones when I tried to call back.

Hope this helps, good luck!

July 30, 2008 Flag

Someone mentioned Craigslist on the ThriftyFun website. I went there and am having so much fun. I want to thank whoever gave that suggestion to go there to find something you are looking for.

I have sold over $100 on items I've picked up at the curb. I fix it, stain it, or just clean it and then sell it on Craigslist.org. It's local so people search for their state and then the city near them and then do their shopping.

All communication is done through e-mail unless one or the other chooses to give out their phone #. I always meet them at a mall or restaurant to exchange $ and the item they bought. I take someone with me if I can for security sake. It's a way to get rid of bigger items that didn't sell at your garage sale.

Of course you wouldn't want to sell clothing or small items. I don't think people would waste their time driving for them. Unless it's an unusual item like collectibles. Anyway, I just wanted to share that with all you Thrifty Fun, frugal living friends on this website. Thanks again!

October 3, 2010 Flag

How do I sell my car on craigslist?

By Jermaine from Thomasville, GA

Answers:

Selling On Craigslist

You go to Craigslist.com and pick an area in which you are a part or close to. For example I am in Tazewell, TN and I use the listing under Knoxville, TN. You click on the icon for posting a listing. Leave a detailed description of the vehicle you are trying to sell with the amount you are asking. Pictures are nice to post of the vehicle if you have them. You can post anonymously. Craigslist will assigned a mailbox to you and forward any emails to your normal email. You can also leave a phone number in your posting if you would rather get calls from perspective buyers. I'm not sure if Craigslist charges you for any sales that are finalized, but read the website information. That is the best way to know the details of their service. (08/10/2010)

By Suntydt

Selling On Craigslist

Here's my method: For example: if I want to sell a "tool chest"!
I do a search for "tool chest" and view all of the popups, and see which category is the most displayed; which I see as "Tools".

1. Select: "Post".
  2. Select: Tools [as the category].
  3. Now, what you type in as the main heading is what will be found when someone searches for "tool chests", so you want to capture that description in the main title. [Acme Tool Chest, 8-drawers, mint].
  4. I would advise you to ask just a little more than what you're willing to take. Amazing how many responses you get asking "How much cash are you willing to take?
  5. Be sure to think about shipping costs, you can either say "includes shipping", or "shipping is extra" [someone from 5 states away may want it and shipping may be more than from the next town over].
  6. Adding pics should be a must, everyone wants to know what they're going to buy.
  7. Once you've completed the advert, you will have to "accept their agreement"; then you'll receive an email from CL; open it and review your ad; if all is OK, you will have to select: Publish.
  8. Keep that email; this is the ONLY way you can go back and review/edit/delete the ad!
  9. Add a folder to your email program titled "CraigsList", then a sub-folder titled "Inquirers", [here you can keep the incoming emails of those who you think are sincere buyers].

Use cash or Paypal only! (08/12/2010)

By Cajun62234

Selling On Craigslist

Very carefully! (08/12/2010)

By yoder178

Selling On Craigslist

I forgot to mention one important thing, especially regarding selling an automobile:

Make sure you indicate "as is" somehow/someway on the sales receipt and the new owner initials recognition of the fact. You don't want it to be driven away and returned with mechanical problems that the new owner created. (08/17/2010)

By Cajun62234

August 10, 2010 Flag

Is selling on Craigslist national or for your state only?

By Nysha Monique from McComb, MS

Answers:

Selling On Craigslist

You can either post or read a craigslist ad for national, or a big city closest to you or any city or country. When you log on to www.craigslist.com you'll automatically be taken to the craigslist USA national site. Then you have to click on a city or country to go there. They are listed on the right-hand side of the page. I've seen people list all over the country.

Usually people that list in multiple cities that aren't close to their living area are running scams, but not always. You can find out by clicking and copying the exact wording for the ad you're interested in, then Googling those exact words. I did this by accident for an embroidery sewing machine and I found the guy had listed basically the same ad all over the US. He said he was local, but he was actually running the scam from Canada. (ie. "Send your money now and I'll send you this machine". Yeah, right!). You never send money till you see and test out the product! And that also goes for home and car repair.

Unfortunately there are some shady characters that ask for half down (to buy supplies, or so they say) then they run off with the down payment and never even begin the work! Sadly, there are quality contractors that could really use the half down to buy supplies, but now the bad have ruined it for the good guys and now no one can trust contractors they find on craigslist. I found a wonderful retired electrician to run the 220 for my kilns and he did a great job, but I had to first weed out the bad guys by calling their references. You also get a feel for who stands by their word and who doesn't. Usually, the older semi-retired guys are top notch and trustworthy. (08/13/2009)

By Cyinda

Selling On Craigslist

Usually, for me it's worked this way. I only post to the city closet to me. If someone is interested, we meet at a local mall or parking lot during the day to exchange money for the item. I've never had any trouble. If it's a large item I cannot haul, I allow them to come to my house only after talking to them over the phone and being sure someone is going to be home with me when they arrive. (08/13/2009)

By LITTLE SUZY

Load More
Business and Legal BusinessJune 26, 2012
Online Shopping
Selling Crafts Online
eBay Logo
Selling On eBay
Selling Your Car
Selling Your Car on Craigslist
Three tiny gift bags standing on a laptop keyboard
Selling Items Online
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 28, 2016 at 8:11:41 PM on 10.0.0.85 in 757 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.