Selling Items on Craigslist

There are no fees when selling items on Craigslist, but there are other things you should keep in mind. This guide is about selling items on Craigslist.

June 21, 2012 Flag

Many people are now selling on Craigslist and on Facebook swap sites. I can't get over how many of the photo ads show the item for sale covered in dust and in a filthy setting. If you are selling an item and it looks like this, people are going to naturally assume that you didn't take good care of it, and will not want to give you top dollar.

Clean the item before taking the picture and make sure it is in a clean setting. If I want to buy a TV, I want to buy a clean one, not one covered with dust and with a dirty litter box beside it and a diaper on top of it in the picture. If you are selling electronics, make sure the item is clean, with no dust between keys or in air vents. If the item is fabric (clothing, curtains, or bedding) make sure it is clean and well aired out, not smelling musty, or smelling like animals or smoke.

When you go to meet your buyer, don't have them come to your home unless you know them. Instead, meet them in a public place, such as Walmart or McDonalds in the parking lot. Women, take a man with you, even if it is the neighbor, for safety reasons. Specify to the seller you are selling for cash only, no checks, and that you will not have change, so they will have the correct amount.

By April from NW, MO

I couldn't agree more. I sell things on CL all the time, and I use the same quality photos as I do on eBay. I look for craft supplies all the time, and have passed up sales with horrible shots of yarn and other things. Jewelry is a real thorny subject, too. If you can't get a clear shot of it, don't bother.

And yes, do meet people in another local then your home.

Then, sit back and wait for all the scammers and spammers who don't have anything better to do than pretend to be buyers then offer to link you to their site. I have done everything short of reporting them to the local news crews, but there is nothing you can do except ignore them.

Good luck, great advice all around.

Great advise! I would also like to add that its also good if you put in your email address too. I have had to pass up so many great deals on C.L. because I am unable to use the link they use on there. I have talked to others that have same problem. It's easy to set up free email and use it strictly for your business purposes too.

January 4, 2010 Flag

We buy a lot of items on craigslist and if the listing doesn't have a picture attached then we usually just pass it by. So, when selling something on Craigslist always include a picture of the item you are selling. As the saying goes "A picture says a thousand words."

January 5, 2015 Flag

How do I present items for sale on Craig's list?

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Easy!!! Just go to Craig's List and follow the directions. However, I have a wikihow answer as well:

Go to the Craigslist in your area.You will have to set up an account with them in order to post.It's free.When you are ready to post,go to the area that you want your ad to appear in,furnitue,free,materials,etc.In the top right you will see a 'Post" .Click on this,then you will have to sign into your account.Follow directions from there.I suggest that you also post a picture for the buyers to see the item.Good Luck!

May 22, 2007 Flag

If you have a few items that are in good shape and want to sell, try Craigslist. It's a community based website where you list your items with photos for free and people in your area look for items.

February 16, 2015 Flag

Could you walk me through step by step to download pictures of my equipment that I have for sale to Craigslist or eBay?

By jes-real from Ft. Lauderdale, FL

Best Answer

It is very easy once you fine your picture on Craig's list just right click select copy image than paste it in a document. Or in Photoshop or you can do a screen capture hold down alt then click print screen then paste either in a document or Photoshop. But if you do print screen you will get everything that is on the screen and you'll need to edit it.

February 28, 2013 Flag

How do I know if someone wants to buy my things? I've recently posted things on Craigslist. I don't have an account and I put my email as private. I believe I've done everything right on there. I just want to know if they will b able to contact me even though Ii didn't give my #?

By Erika A.

I always post ads on Craigslist as you do, using the private option. I don't give out a phone number OR address for pickup unless I receive a reply. If the person answering my ad sounds spammy or the least bit creepy, I simply don't answer the reply. You may have to repost the items several times to get a buyer. Good luck.

Hi - the only information anyone looking on Craig's list will be able to see is the info in the ad. Contact for any information goes to Craig's list and is forwarded to you. Then you decide how you wish to answer - if at all.

At lease that is how it works for me.

July 30, 2008 Flag

Someone mentioned Craigslist on the ThriftyFun website. I went there and am having so much fun. I want to thank whoever gave that suggestion to go there to find something you are looking for.

October 3, 2010 Flag

How do I sell used appliances on Craigslist?

By Linda

google and in the bar key in the state you want.

click on area closest to your own

Go to FOR SALE category

Now, log into your account or create a new one by

Fill in information

Click on Category that best describes what you want to sell

Fill in info: the title, price, location and description

Click ADD

Click BROWSE and then the RED X's to download pics from your computer of item (1-4 if desired)

Click CONTINUE and wait for downloads.

That's about it.

Please be careful - there was a story on the news in Milwaukee of a guy who was selling a big screen TV on craigslist. He made an appointment for a man to meet him at his home at 6:00 pm when he got off work to look at the TV. When he got home, the person had broken into his home and stolen the TV. I'd look and see if there is a local yahoo group selling in your area or something that might be safer. A woman was recently on Oprah whose boyfriend posted an ad on her on craiglist and she was raped and beaten - that caused someone to order them to remove their adult section. Don't you have a local paper to advertise in?

February 1, 2012 Flag

I have several new items that I'd like to sell on Craigslist. I've been told that photos need to be of almost professional quality so that the items will sell quickly. Since I have an average digital camera, but no lighting equipment, do any TF members have some good pointers for how I can take good photos? Thanks for your help!

By Casey E from Allen, TX

My niece sells a lot of things on craiglist, and uses just a good quality digital camera. Having a plain background is good. I have a cardboard folding board-like people use for school for displays, but I've also just spread out a white sheet for a background.

What bugs me is when folks post their pictures upside down or sideways. Usually in your photo editing program on computer you can "adjust" that before posting. You want to get close up if you can. I usually post a couple of pics. Watch out for glare,etc.

I'm a little weary of someone coming to my house if I'm by myself, so I put in my ad that I can meet them somewhere-a very public place. Never say you'll mail something and they'll send money when received. Some folks will do anything to rip you off! What few sales I've made have been with good, honest people.

Thanks so much for your responses; appreciate your taking the time to do so!

September 14, 2012 Flag

I have posted on Craigslist before with no problems. Now, after I fill in the details of items to sell and then I upload pictures, but there is: no "continue", "done" or for that matter anything at the top or bottom of the page to finalize my posting.
I have tried to contact CL help numerous times, but they are of no use and their phone number contact is also not helpful.

I have asked this question about a week ago, but the answers were to scroll down to the bottom of the page or to look for "I'm done" or "continue" and click. Perhaps the readers missed that those options were not available to me. Nor was there a tab to click to take me to the next page.

Please help. Thank you.

Please don't ask me to contact Craigslist help or to call them, neither option is any help. The help desk keeps sending me an auto response with no connection to my question.

By Tony

Tony, I just posted something on the Long Island Craigslist and had no problems. Perhaps you just need to change the resolution of your screen? I have had to change the resolution on some websites I visit because the image they present is too large for my screen, so I click on the button at the bottom of the screen that says "100%" with the arrow next to it, and reduce the image to 85% or 75% or whatever makes it fit - you can customize the zoom to any number you like. Maybe this is why you don't see the "continue" button at the bottom? The alternate way to reduce the image is to click on "View", then "Zoom", then move your cursor to the %.

I had to click on a link in an email from Craigslist after I finished my posting, and had no problem there either - did you get a message and skip this step?

The last thing I can think of, is perhaps you could try another browser - sometimes I can do things in Interet Explorer 8 that I can't do with Chrome, and vice versa.

Hope this helps. If not, instead of Craigslist help, try eHow, or, or else Googling your problem.

If you recently downloaded the latest upgrade from Firefox that's probably the problem. Go back & delete it. Or, turn off your popup blocker. Or, worse yet you've picked up a nasty virus or Malware bug. That's what happened to me.

September 8, 2012 Flag

I have posted on Craigslist before with no problems. Now, after I fill in the details of items to sell and then upload pictures, there is no "continue" or "done", on the page to continue to finalize my posting.

Load More
Business and Legal BusinessJune 26, 2012
Online Shopping
Selling Crafts Online
eBay Logo
Selling On eBay
Selling Your Car
Selling Your Car on Craigslist
Three tiny gift bags standing on a laptop keyboard
Selling Items Online