Treating a Pet's Wound

To stop superficial wounds from bleeding, home remedies may be just the cure. This guide is about how to stop superficial wounds from bleeding.

August 14, 2009 Flag

After seeing one great tip about cornstarch, I thought I should share mine. A year or so ago, one of my dairy goats had a scurr (an incompletely removed horn that grows back poorly) that was becoming uncomfortable and pressing on her head. My husband was attempting to cut it off cleanly when it suddenly fell off, spraying blood everywhere!

I thought quickly about what might make it stop while I pressed on the wound (it wasn't slowing down a bit) and told him to run for the cornstarch. I figured that if it would thicken gravy, it would coagulate blood. A good dash of cornstarch shut off the blood like a faucet!

After the fact, I checked and found that this is the main ingredient in the bloodstopper powder you can buy from a vet supply store. It can be a very handy thing to have around animals or accidents!

By Gina J. from MT

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Great tip! Thanks for sharing! :)

January 17, 2011 Flag

When you cannot get a cut or wound on a pet to stop bleeding and you have tried absolutely everything, try super glue!

Our Great Dane was bleeding profusely from the tip of his ear, and we could not get it to stop. Literally, blood was everywhere. Of course, we live in a very rural area and it was at night. There is no such thing as an emergency vet anywhere close.

We had used a styptic pencil (we didn't have any styptic powder), bread, paper napkins, flour, New Skin, and we even tried cauterizing the wound. Nothing staunched the flow of blood. We were beside ourselves and quite frustrated. We also were concerned that our beloved Charlie might bleed to death.

I was wracking my brain and talking with my sister-in-law. She asked if there was a small flap of skin that I could just stitch together. There wasn't, but I did, almost jokingly, say I could super glue the ear. At the same time, my sister-in-law said, "You know, they do use super glue to glue cuts together and in surgery sometimes."

In desperation, after once again cleaning the ear, I super glued a small piece of paper napkin to Charlie's ear.

Guess what, after literally several hours and a lot of anguish, the bleeding stopped! We were finally being able to look closely at Charlie's ear without all of the blood. We discovered that the wound was right at the tip of the ear and that a small blood vessel was opened at the wound site.

So, when nothing else works, remember, you can stop the bleeding with a paper napkin and super glue.

By padf520 from Langley, OK

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I use super glue all the time for cuts. Especially those paper cuts that really hurt. Also for those really cracked hands during the winter time. A really great product for that is O-Keeffe's Working Hands. They also have it for feet. You can find it home supply stores, drug stores, and retail stores. We pick ours up at the local Home Depot in the paint dept. My husband really uses this during the winter. His hands crack like crazy.

January 7, 2008 Flag

For superficial wounds that bleed, to quickly stop the bleeding after washing the area, use a cotton swab and dip in petroleum jelly (Vaseline) to wipe thickly over the bleeding area.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 5, 2011 Flag

If your pet gets a laceration or bite, DO NOT use hydrogen peroxide. This will cause the wound to open more. Instead use a little soap and water or, better yet, use betadine liquid.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 29, 2010 Flag

How do I stop my dog's nail from bleeding after clipping too close?

By Lee from Orlando, FL

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I always keep styptic powder or a styptic pencil on hand, that will stop it, but if you don't have that you can take the dogs nail and run it acros a dry bar of gentle soap like ivory, that will pack the nail, or use flour, baking soda, or baby powder and coat it thick to stop the bleeding.

Best Answer

Use baking soda. It really does work. Put a little in the palm of your hand, then put the dogs nail that got cut to short in to it. Leave it alone, just watch it for a minute or two to make such that it stops. Any baking soda that gets on the paw will fall off. The soda will not hurt the dog.

Dip the bleeding toenail or whatever, into flour. It will stop almost immediately. Tried and true on both our dog and our parrot.

There are powdered products such as Gimborn's Kwik-Stop that can be applied to the bleeding nail. It provides immediate clotting. But be careful, a cut that close hurts your sweet dog.

October 5, 2015 Flag

My Shih Tzu is having this kind of wound. I don't know what is it. Just look at the pic and his having another one. What's the cause and how can I cure it?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This looks like an infection of some type, especially as a new one is forming. if so, he will need prescriptive antibiotic treatment with a veterinarian as no home remedies will stop the infection.

Please take him to your vet now as the problem is spreading and the longer he has this infection, the more his immune system is compromised.

This must be SO painful for the wee dog. Expert vet care should be advised. Please take the dog for help.

Your dog needs to see a Veterinarian as soon as possible. This type of infection can get worse and threaten your dogs life.

If it was black first . It may have been a brown eclouse spider bite . This happened to my cat

August 29, 2015 Flag

My dog was scratched by our new roommate's cat. They seemed to coexist unless the animals get too close together. The cat scratched my Pomeranian under her eye and it was bleeding. The eye itself doesn't look damaged, but under her eye bled a lot. I'm doing a saltine rinse on the wound a couple times a day to prevent infection. I also have no money to take her to a vet :( I don't want anything bad to happen to my dog. She's an older dog 5-6 (age is unknown due to abandonment of original owners).

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I do not know what a saltine rinse is? If you mean saline, rinsing will not prevent an infection and bleeding "alot" is a bad sign!

You must find the money to take your dog to a vet immediately to check on the eye. You state the eye does not look damaged, however, you are not a vet and, I assume, have no medical training. Something happened as your dog bled "alot". Any delay can further damage the injured area and may cost more in the long run.

Pets are like people, they need proper veterinary check ups, vaccines, proper diet, and illnesses and accidents happen. If you are not able to afford veterinary care, you should not have a pet.

You mean saline. Anyway, that's a good start. But now it needs to scab over and heal. Start using triple antibiotic ointment (NOT the cream) on the scratch and in the eye. As long as the eye looks clear and nothing gets red, swells up, etc. it will probably be okay.

Of course, you are risking something happening to the eye, but since you have no money there is little else you can do at this point.

Let your roommate know he needs to trim his cat's claws.

October 18, 2010 Flag

I have a 10 month old kitten. He is a house cat and does not go out. He is so funny and forever jumping up on the most unusual places. A few weeks ago I noticed his eye was swollen and took him to the vet. She said that he had torn his cornea on something and gave him a shot and some medicine. It's all better now.

While we were at the vet's my daughter mentioned that she had felt a lump in the middle of his back towards his tail. The vet looked and said that it was a cut that was healing, but to keep an eye on it and not to worry.

This evening I came home and noticed that the hair and scab around the cut on his back had come off (I assume during one of his many jumping and running games around the house) and the cut is now open. No scab has formed yet and it's not bleeding, but I am worried as he is our baby. I wonder if I should bring him back to the vet. He seems fine and is his usual funny self.

I just wonder how long it takes for a scab to form? He has FIV so I now his immune system is not like healthy cats so that's why I am worried. Any advise would be welcome. Thanks.

By Molly from Europe

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

A quick phone call to your vet should give you the answers you need.

Pets HealthSeptember 9, 2013
A cat wearing a plastic dish.
Keeping a Cat from Scratching its Wound
Bleeding Heart
Growing Bleeding Heart
A cat wearing a cone on its head.
Keeping a Cat From Licking a Wound
Putting bandaid on child.
Stopping a Superficial Wound from Bleeding
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 15, 2017 at 7:50:11 PM on 10.0.2.64 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.