Remedies for Stinky Shoes

The smell of stinky shoes can be overwhelming and make you want to throw them away. There are a number of good ways to remove and prevent the odors. This is a guide about removing odors from stinky shoes.

October 29, 2009 Flag

To get the smell out of shoes, I put a mixture of baking soda, baking powder, and cornstarch in a pair of cotton socks and stick in the shoes overnight. It works like a charm.

By Sherry from Onset, MA

I wipe out the insides of shoes with rubbing alcohol.

April 3, 2015 Flag

Use regular kosher salt or any salt. Just sprinkle in shoes after heavy use, then wear with socks or without. It will kill the odor. Repeat if necessary. If all else fails you need to just toss the shoe.

Thanks for the tip, I'm going to try this!

September 5, 2015 Flag

Pour some cat litter, scented or unscented, into a pair of heavy socks or sock slippers and close it with a rubber band. Drop the litter filled socks into the pair of shoes or sneakers. Litter was created to reduce and remove some heavy duty odors, so it's perfect for this!

litter filled sock in shoe

January 20, 2012 Flag

If you have someone who has sweaty feet all the time, here is a solution to get rid of the smell in their shoes. Throw shoes in the washer. Once dry, double bag them and put in the freezer overnight.

February 18, 2011 Flag

To freshen boots, bowling shoes, ski boots, etc., place a dryer sheet in each one when not in use.

August 2, 2016 Flag

I went to a watering hole and was wearing my water shoes. I then packed them in a plastic pack and promptly forgot about them. I opened the bag 2 days later and they smell horrible. Is there anything I can do to get rid of the smell? I'm willing to try anything to make them smell normal again!

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Here is the answer to ANY stinky shoe question ever asked. Let me just say that my daughter, God love her, has THE stinkiest, rankiest, stankiest feet EVER. I love her dearly but this is true. She can shower and her feet would stink so bad AFTER the shower it was crazy. Here was THE answer. There is a product called On Your Toes.. you can get it on Amazon. It's a tiny container for around $12. Keep states that you use this product ONE TIME in the shoes and they are stink free for 6 months. You put in on your feet twice I think and shoes once. We did this and it WORKS. STINK FREE FEET.. STINK FREE SHOES. NO stink after a shower. I have not smelled her feet since and I kid you NOT. HOWEVER, here is a little secret. This On Your Toes is zinc oxide powder.. nothing more. You can buy 1lb bag of that on Amazon for around $10 instead of a few little grams or whatever. It won't stop foot sweat, but the stink is gone... and I mean gone. You sprinkle it in your shoes ONE TIME. I would sprinkle it at night and let it sit overnight..sprinkle it on your feet too. You will be amazed at the difference. We tried those peppermint sprays and this and that powder. Forget that stuff. This helps the most ranky gaggable stinky feet.

May 16, 2012 Flag

Want to get rid of the stink? Stuff the shoes with newspaper. That's right. Newspaper. Shoes should be "stink-free" come morning!

November 11, 2011 Flag

Make shoe inserts from old socks. Stuff each sock with fiberfill or cotton from old pillow or stuffed toys, add a small amount of baking soda to help absorb odors, and machine stitch or hand stitch the opening closed.

November 24, 2012 Flag

What can you put in shoes to make them smell less? My grandson stays in his tennis shoes. I would like something that he could slip into his shoes at night, that would help get rid of the odor. Thanks.

By Cookie 17 from Roanoke, VA

A Dr Oz guest says to put them in the freezer.

March 4, 2013 Flag

Dryer sheets are a great way to deodorize stinky shoes. Here is this tip in action.

Dryer sheet in sneaker.

March 16, 2012 Flag

To get rid of smelly feet and stinky shoes you can use insoles made from cedar material. For example special Cedarsoles made from antifungal and fresh smelling cedar wood. It tackles the cause of the problem, foot bacteria!

November 4, 2011 Flag

I bought my son a pair of leather Jordon's at the Finish Line 2 months ago. They smell like cat urine and we have no cats! I have washed them, let them dry, and stuffed them with newspaper. I also bought a new shoe deodorizer and the shoes still smell like cat urine, to the point the shoes make my house smell like cat urine. What do you suggest for me to resolve this problem? Thank you.

By Rhonda M.

My sons J's do the same thing. I've made him switch shoes until I can figure out what to do with the ammonia smell. I've washed them twice every weekend and sprayed different things in them. I don't know what else to do.

May 11, 2015 Flag

I purchased some sandals from JCPenney a few months ago. The brand is Yuu and it says they are made from "man made materials". After wearing them quite a bit they have become smelly and there is a dark imprint of my feet on them. How do I get rid of both the smell and the footprints?

I do not buy leather or any other animal by-product shoes, etc. Many man-made material shoes can be washed in the washing machine on delicate, and then air-dried. As an alternative, I have had much luck wiping the foot bed with rubbing alcohol and then let dry.

April 17, 2014 Flag

Put a drop of peppermint or cinnamon oil on some used dryer sheets and tuck them into athletic shoes or work boots. Great for teenage boys!

September 24, 2013 Flag

I went to Arkansas and I got my Jordan's all wet. I threw them in the washer, but it seems that the odor of the inside is just worse now. It's part of the shoe, if that makes any sense. If anyone has a way to get rid of the odor please help me.

By Raul from Bartlett, TX

Get some Borateem and wash with that. It gets rid of nearly any odor.

September 15, 2011 Flag

How do I remove odors from sneakers?

By Nativeluv from Sacramento, CA

Load More
Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsJuly 22, 2011
Trying on New Shoes
Breaking in New Shoes
Dirty tennis shoes.
Cleaning Tennis Shoes
Man Repairing a Shoe
Repairing Shoes
Stinky Feet on Hardwood Floor
Remedies for Stinky Feet