Remedies for Stinky Shoes

The smell of stinky shoes can be overwhelming and make you want to throw them away. There are a number of good ways to remove and prevent the odors. This is a guide about removing odors from stinky shoes.

October 29, 2009 Flag

To get the smell out of shoes, I put a mixture of baking soda, baking powder, and cornstarch in a pair of cotton socks and stick in the shoes overnight. It works like a charm.

By Sherry from Onset, MA

Top Comment

I wipe out the insides of shoes with rubbing alcohol.

Top Comment

August 2, 2016 Flag

I went to a watering hole and was wearing my water shoes. I then packed them in a plastic pack and promptly forgot about them. I opened the bag 2 days later and they smell horrible. Is there anything I can do to get rid of the smell? I'm willing to try anything to make them smell normal again!

Best Answer

1.Wash and dry them then leave in the freezer overnight. 2.Stuff socks full of kitty litter and place inside shoes overnight to absorb the odor.

Best Answer

February 18, 2011 Flag

To freshen boots, bowling shoes, ski boots, etc., place a dryer sheet in each one when not in use.

By duckie-do from Cortez, CO

Top Comment

I keep giving feedback about the chemicals in dryer sheets, which can be very dangerous. I suggest that you at least do not put your bare feet into any footwear that has had dryer sheets stored in them - always wear socks. If your feet sweat, you shouldn't use dryer sheets at all, as your feet will absorb these chemicals. Please read my TF post from last November in response to folks who were sending suggestions for using dryer sheets on their pets. (Link below) It's no joke - these chemicals are dangerous.

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf29225487.tip.html

Top Comment

November 24, 2012 Flag

What can you put in shoes to make them smell less? My grandson stays in his tennis shoes. I would like something that he could slip into his shoes at night, that would help get rid of the odor. Thanks.

By Cookie 17 from Roanoke, VA

Best Answer

Baking Soda! It neutralizes odors like nothing, just sprinkle it in the shoes at night and tap it so it disperses around and then in the morning just shake the remnants in the trash.

:)

Katrina

Best Answer

January 20, 2012 Flag

If you have someone who has sweaty feet all the time, here is a solution to get rid of the smell in their shoes. Throw shoes in the washer. Once dry, double bag them and put in the freezer overnight.

April 3, 2015 Flag

Use regular kosher salt or any salt. Just sprinkle in shoes after heavy use, then wear with socks or without. It will kill the odor. Repeat if necessary.

November 4, 2011 Flag

I bought my son a pair of leather Jordon's at the Finish Line 2 months ago. They smell like cat urine and we have no cats! I have washed them, let them dry, and stuffed them with newspaper. I also bought a new shoe deodorizer and the shoes still smell like cat urine, to the point the shoes make my house smell like cat urine. What do you suggest for me to resolve this problem? Thank you.

By Rhonda M.

Best Answer

I would go to a farm supply or hardware store to buy a product designed to eliminate urine smell. Then I would apply the product, and allow the shoes to dry outside in the sun, while I treated the inside of the house.

Best Answer

September 5, 2015 Flag

Pour some cat litter, scented or unscented, into a pair of heavy socks or sock slippers and close it with a rubber band. Drop the litter filled socks into the pair of shoes or sneakers. Litter was created to reduce and remove some heavy duty odors, so it's perfect for this!

litter filled sock in shoe

May 11, 2015 Flag

I purchased some sandals from JCPenney a few months ago. The brand is Yuu and it says they are made from "man made materials". After wearing them quite a bit they have become smelly and there is a dark imprint of my feet on them. How do I get rid of both the smell and the footprints?

Best Answer

This is a sour smell? It's bacteria. The heat and moisture grow bacteria in sandals, and "man-made materials" are the worst culprits.

Some people recommend a solution of tea tree oil and water in a spray bottle, then let dry completely.

Your feet will pick up the bacteria, so you will need to soak your feet as well, in a solution of water and apple cider vinegar.

Personally, I'd stop wearing the shoes and get real leather ones. It's doubtful you'll be able to permanently disinfect them.

Best Answer

September 24, 2013 Flag

I went to Arkansas and I got my Jordan's all wet. I threw them in the washer, but it seems that the odor of the inside is just worse now. It's part of the shoe, if that makes any sense. If anyone has a way to get rid of the odor please help me.

By Raul from Bartlett, TX

Best Answer

You may want to put some charcoal inside some socks and put them in and leave them for a few days. Other people swear by stuffing them with news paper. I would try the paper first as it's pretty much free.

Best Answer

March 16, 2012 Flag

To get rid of smelly feet and stinky shoes you can use insoles made from cedar material. For example special Cedarsoles made from antifungal and fresh smelling cedar wood. It tackles the cause of the problem, foot bacteria!

May 16, 2012 Flag

Want to get rid of the stink? Stuff the shoes with newspaper. That's right. Newspaper. Shoes should be "stink-free" come morning!

November 11, 2011 Flag

Make shoe inserts from old socks. Stuff each sock with fiberfill or cotton from old pillow or stuffed toys, add a small amount of baking soda to help absorb odors, and machine stitch or hand stitch the opening closed.

September 15, 2011 Flag

How do I remove odors from sneakers?

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Load More
Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsJuly 22, 2011
Trying on New Shoes
Breaking in New Shoes
Dirty tennis shoes.
Cleaning Tennis Shoes
Man Repairing a Shoe
Repairing Shoes
Stinky Feet on Hardwood Floor
Remedies for Stinky Feet
🎉
🎄