Browsing: Remedies for Stinky Shoes

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Remedies for Stinky Shoes

The smell of stinky shoes can be overwhelming and make you want to throw them away. There are a number of good ways to remove and prevent the odors. This is a guide about removing odors from stinky shoes.

Picture of a man holding up stinky shoes.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

October 29, 2009 Flag

To get the smell out of shoes, I put a mixture of baking soda, baking powder, and cornstarch in a pair of cotton socks and stick in the shoes overnight. It works like a charm.

By Sherry from Onset, MA

April 3, 2015 Flag

Use regular kosher salt or any salt. Just sprinkle in shoes after heavy use, then wear with socks or without. It will kill the odor. Repeat if necessary. If all else fails you need to just toss the shoe.

August 2, 2016 Flag

I went to a watering hole and was wearing my water shoes. I then packed them in a plastic pack and promptly forgot about them. I opened the bag 2 days later and they smell horrible. Is there anything I can do to get rid of the smell? I'm willing to try anything to make them smell normal again!

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 5, 2015 Flag

Pour some cat litter, scented or unscented, into a pair of heavy socks or sock slippers and close it with a rubber band. Drop the litter filled socks into the pair of shoes or sneakers. Litter was created to reduce and remove some heavy duty odors, so it's perfect for this! supplieslitter filled sock in shoe

My daughter also had a new pair of shoes that were a little tight fitting, so we just stuffed the litter filled socks tightly into those shoes (I did spritz the inside of the shoe first, ever so slightly) and it did loosen them up to fit her better too! Just in time for school.

November 24, 2012 Flag

What can you put in shoes to make them smell less? My grandson stays in his tennis shoes. I would like something that he could slip into his shoes at night, that would help get rid of the odor. Thanks.

By Cookie 17 from Roanoke, VA

A Dr Oz guest says to put them in the freezer.

Read More Answers...

January 20, 2012 Flag

If you have someone who has sweaty feet all the time, here is a solution to get rid of the smell in their shoes. Throw shoes in the washer. Once dry, double bag them and put in the freezer overnight.

February 18, 2011 Flag

To freshen boots, bowling shoes, ski boots, etc., place a dryer sheet in each one when not in use.

May 16, 2012 Flag

Want to get rid of the stink? Stuff the shoes with newspaper. That's right. Newspaper. Shoes should be "stink-free" come morning!

November 11, 2011 Flag

Make shoe inserts from old socks. Stuff each sock with fiberfill or cotton from old pillow or stuffed toys, add a small amount of baking soda to help absorb odors, and machine stitch or hand stitch the opening closed.

November 4, 2011 Flag

I bought my son a pair of leather Jordon's at the Finish Line 2 months ago. They smell like cat urine and we have no cats! I have washed them, let them dry, and stuffed them with newspaper. I also bought a new shoe deodorizer and the shoes still smell like cat urine, to the point the shoes make my house smell like cat urine. What do you suggest for me to resolve this problem? Thank you.

By Rhonda M.

Same with my son's Nike Double Fusion. He was asked to leave his class in school today because the smell was so pungent.

Read More Answers...

May 11, 2015 Flag

I purchased some sandals from JCPenney a few months ago. The brand is Yuu and it says they are made from "man made materials". After wearing them quite a bit they have become smelly and there is a dark imprint of my feet on them. How do I get rid of both the smell and the footprints?

I do not buy leather or any other animal by-product shoes, etc. Many man-made material shoes can be washed in the washing machine on delicate, and then air-dried. As an alternative, I have had much luck wiping the foot bed with rubbing alcohol and then let dry.

Read More Answers...

September 24, 2013 Flag

I went to Arkansas and I got my Jordan's all wet. I threw them in the washer, but it seems that the odor of the inside is just worse now. It's part of the shoe, if that makes any sense. If anyone has a way to get rid of the odor please help me.

By Raul from Bartlett, TX

Very strong water in Arkansas...best of luck !

Read More Answers...

March 4, 2013 Flag

Dryer sheets are a great way to deodorize stinky shoes. Here is this tip in action.

Dryer sheet in sneaker.

September 15, 2011 Flag

How do I remove odors from sneakers?

By Nativeluv from Sacramento, CA

Hide them well in the yard as to deter theft.

Read More Answers...
Load More
Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsJuly 22, 2011
Trying on New Shoes
Breaking in New Shoes
Dirty tennis shoes.
Cleaning Tennis Shoes
Man Repairing a Shoe
Repairing Shoes
Stinky Feet on Hardwood Floor
Remedies for Stinky Feet
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 26, 2016 at 10:16:07 PM on 10.0.0.175 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.