Kibbutz Israeli Salad and Hummus Pita

Not so long ago I submitted this salad recipe to ThriftyFun. I wanted to submit it a second time because I came up with a fantastic recipe which is very nutritious, and low in fat. Editor's Note: Here is the previous recipe.

Chick Pea and Black Bean Hummus

This dip goes well with chunks of pita bread

• 1 can (15 to 19 ounce) garbanzo beans (chick peas), drained and 1/2 cup liquid reserved.
  • 1 can (15 to 19 ounce) black beans, drained
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 3 Tbsp. tahini (sesame seed paste) - optional
  • 1/4 cup lemon juice (juice of 2 to 3 lemons)
  • 3 Tbsp. olive oil
  • 1 1/2 tsp. salt or less according to taste
  • 1 tsp. ground cumin

Combine all the ingredients in a food processor. Process until the mixture is smooth and creamy and no lumps remain, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate until ready to use. If you want an Italian-style hummus, add 1 tsp. dried basil.

We had the most delicious dinner the other night. Filled pita (pocket bread) with several spoonfuls of hummus and then added the salad on top. For added flavor, you can drizzle on some oil and vinegar salad dressing. DH had to make his sandwich with a slice of cheese.

The next time I serve this recipe for dinner, I'm going to try a tortilla wrap in place of the pita bread. It is soooooo Goooood!

By MCW from NY

Bowl of hummus.

Sounds wonderful - I love middle eastern recipes. Do you have any more to share?

Turkish Food
Middle Eastern Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes Dips & SpreadsJanuary 15, 2008
Pita Pizza
Pita Pizza Recipes
Pita Bread
Recipes Using Pita Bread
Pita Bread
Freezing Pita Bread
Photo of homemade hummus.
Homemade Hummus Recipes