Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Curtain Color Advice

Choosing just the right color curtains can complete the overall color scheme of your room. This guide contains curtain color advice.

Burgundy Carpet

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

When installing new curtains in a room with burgundy carpet, it is important to match the color well. to tie the room together. This is a guide about curtain color for burgundy carpet.

corner of room with windows and couch

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

Whether your living room is formal or casual, you want the curtains you choose to complement the room and its furnishings. This guide contains suggestions for living room curtain colors.

Kitchen Curtains

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

Choosing the right color for your kitchen curtains can help brighten it up and complete your room's color scheme. This is a guide about kitchen curtain color advice.

Curtain Color Advice for Multi-colored Wall - wall with horizontal blue, green, and yellow stripes

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

Selecting curtains for a room with a multicolored wall can be confusing. You may want something that complements or coordinates with the several colors already featured, but not a color or pattern that clashes. Here are some suggestions to consider for making this decorating choice.

Dining room with curtains.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

No one wants to have a curtain color choice disaster. It can be hard to envision what color curtains will work best with your furnishings and paint color. This is a guide about dining room curtain color advice.

Blackout Curtain

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

Choosing curtains to complement your room's wall paint and furnishings is sometimes difficult. When buying black out curtains this task may prove even more of a challenge as there are fewer choices.

Beige walls and green curtains.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

Beige walls allow for a wide variety of curtain color choices that will complement it. This is a guide about curtain color advice to complement beige walls.

Purple curtains in a bedroom.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

Choosing a complementary or even contrasting color for your bedroom curtains can help achieve the overall color scheme you are seeking. This is a guide about bedroom curtain color advice.

Beige Couch

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

Neutral colored furniture can be difficult to find coordinating curtains for, depending on whether you want them to match or pop. This is a guide about curtain color advice to coordinate with a beige couch.

February 17, 2017 Flag

I have oatmeal colored walls with medium tan colored cloth furniture. In between the windows is a stone fireplace. I have tried khaki drapes and it looked horrible, now dark brown looks worse. Please help me with any ideas.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I agree with granny, a bold color or pattern would be great. I would say red or a flower pattern or Paisley, go bold because the neutrals are a great backdrop for that.

In my living room, I have an aqua and tan walls. I want to get curtains, but I'm having a hard time figuring out a color that works against both the aqua and tan. I have 2 windows with only a small space between them. What is the best way to put curtains over them? 3 panels or only 2 panels on the outsides? Also, the other curtain needs to cover the sliding glass door. What is the best way to hang that to keep it symmetrical, but also keeping it functional to open away from the door opening?

I would get 3 sets in a dark brown all of them the same length based on the height of your slider. (84" or 95") I personally prefers 95"height because it makes the ceiling look higher and the room and windows larger then what they are. If possible make all your hardware the same and mount all your hardware at the same height across the walls on the beige and touqoise wall. Add dark brown&turqoise pillows to the couch.

I have a beige carpet with white walls and there is a beige and black border along the vaulted ceiling. My furniture is black leather. I have a large picture window with 4 crank out windows. I'm looking to add a pop of color to the room, but I am not very good at going outside of the box. I tend to stick to neutral colors for fear of things not matching. Any suggestions on a curtain color would be appreciated.

Neutrals are wonderful! I suggest a warm gray or gray-blue for your curtains. Pops of color can be added elsewhere in the room using accent pillows, etc. For instance, I live in a rental house and cannot change anything except throw pillows, minimal artwork on walls. I have grayish-blue walls, white trim, and beige carpet to work with my personal beige sofa and love seat. I purchased throw pillows to tie in the colors of the wall, trim, carpet, and furniture.

January 26, 2017 Flag

I have a new house with Sherwood paint keratin on all walls. The living room and dining room are like a L shape. There is one big window in front, with 3 windows close together. Should I keep all curtain colors the same? I want to hang curtains and blinds. Can you please give me so ideas?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Thank you. Do you have any examples of this idea. Thanks

December 5, 2016 Flag

Can you please suggest the color for the curtains and anything else that I can do to brighten the room?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

At the moment it all looks very square, harsh and formal. I think curtains with a light brown or beige background would be good and just to soften down the square look, with a simple pattern of curved shapes. These could be in a darker shade of brown or a colour. If you choose a colour, add something else in the same colour elsewhere in the room for balance, such as in cushions or picture frames

November 9, 2016 Flag

I have a floral pattern sofa. The walls are light sage, the verticals on the windows are dark brown. I have included photos of my sofa. I need valances. Please give me suggestions: solid, pattern, checked, or plaid and the color(s). Please respond as soon as you can.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

A designer once told me to pick one or two colours from your sofa and use for accessories such as draperies, throw pillows etc. Because your upholstery is a floral I would go with a solid colour fabric for your valances.

November 5, 2016 Flag

My walls are a very soft sage. The sofa is floral with yellow, green, red, and orange. What color and pattern would work for valances? I need to tie the room together to make it look finished.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I'd pick one of the colors from sofa that isn't green.

January 12, 2014 Flag

I have tan walls, brown furniture and one blue accent wall. What color should I use for curtains? I'm thinking white because it is safe and goes with everything. Any other ideas?

By Amanda B.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

A deeper or brighter blue might work. What color is the wall where the window is located? I would suggest keeping the curtains in the same color family as the wall, and using white for accents repeated throughout the room - pillows, large pictures, vases, throw rugs, lamps, etc. General rule is not more than three colors, but you can play with the intensity of the color - bright, shiny brown, bright blue, pale blue.

October 3, 2016 Flag

My husband and I just bought a house. The living room/dining area is covered in gray and white tiles with gray walls. We do not have the money right now to remove them and lay hardwood floors. What color curtains would you suggest to go with all the gray and white?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Since grey and white are both neutral colors, almost anything goes. You could keep it neutral or got for a color pop like red, turquoise or even your favorite shade of green

My husband and I just bought our home and we have a gray sofa-sectional, but are debating on the colors for our curtains. Eventually, we want to stain our floors darker and paint our walls a very light gray (almost white). We want to have 2 levels of curtains. I think we should have a sky/light blue curtain with white sheer curtain in the back, but my husband wants a medium to dark gray curtain with the white sheer curtain in the back. I don't know if there's a term for the sheer white curtains or not. I was also thinking of white curtains. Our living room is really small. A lot smaller than it looks in the picture. Please help. Thank you!

So, I changed my mind. Men can be fickle, too.

This drapery color may not be ideal, but it readily serves to illustrate a point. Darker colors appear farther away, creating an illusion of depth, hence, more room.

If this drapery were white or near white, it would appear closer, causing the room to appear smaller. At least, that's my humble reasoning.

September 24, 2016 Flag

I'm stuck as to change up curtains. I'm taking down wood blinds, but need to hang energy efficient drapes as the sun bakes us in the evening for a couple of hours. See attached picture. The walls are barn red and beige as you can see and very dark with blinds.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I would use white curtains of a special material that reflects sunlight. The issue is you want something to maintain the lightness of the room while providing protection from the sun.

Load More
Home and Garden Home Improvement Decorating CurtainsApril 20, 2012
Blackout Curtain
Blackout Curtain Color Advice
Purple curtains in a bedroom.
Bedroom Curtain Color Advice
Woman hanging a window treatment.
Window Treatment Advice
Burgundy Carpet
Curtain Color Advice for Burgundy Carpet
👒
🐰
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site.
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 24, 2017 at 5:23:56 PM on 10.0.0.145 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.