Curtain Color Advice

Choosing just the right color curtains can complete the overall color scheme of your room. This guide contains curtain color advice.

January 6, 2017 Flag

I have a multi colored texture wall with wallnut furniture. What color curtain should match with this? Please suggest.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I like the middle of the road color...a soft green would pull in all the other colors of the wall. Blue I think would be too strong and yellow too bland. Love the wall though, a nice challenge and accent wall.

December 27, 2016 Flag

I have just finished painting my living room, Just Walnut, and I have a mustard colour sofa and a brown sofa in the room. What colour of curtains should I get?
Thanks.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Many thanks for your comments. I will post pictures when room is finished as I am waiting for wooden floors to be fitted and a woodburner installed. I have a mustard sofa so went for a mid grey sofa to complement it and loads of mustard\grey cushions. Went for natural coloured curtains. The "just walnut" on the walls I have used throughout the hall and bedrooms. It's such a neutral colour...not grey, not taupe, not mink but a combination of all..just love it.

December 7, 2016 Flag

I have a beige carpet with white walls and there is a beige and black border along the vaulted ceiling. My furniture is black leather. I have a large picture window with 4 crank out windows. I'm looking to add a pop of color to the room, but I am not very good at going outside of the box. I tend to stick to neutral colors for fear of things not matching. Any suggestions on a curtain color would be appreciated.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Neutrals are wonderful! I suggest a warm gray or gray-blue for your curtains. Pops of color can be added elsewhere in the room using accent pillows, etc. For instance, I live in a rental house and cannot change anything except throw pillows, minimal artwork on walls. I have grayish-blue walls, white trim, and beige carpet to work with my personal beige sofa and love seat. I purchased throw pillows to tie in the colors of the wall, trim, carpet, and furniture.

December 11, 2016 Flag

Could you all please help me with choosing a colour for my curtains and throw pillows? My walls are white and my furniture is dark brown and orange. The orange looks like a lighter shade of brown. I can't paint since it's a rental. Please help. I am confused and don't even know where to start.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

In a rental, the only way to add color and interest is in your accessories. This is also where you bring in your personality. Not knowing what you like, it is difficult to advise on specific colors. You basically have a blank canvas to work with, with dark, neutral furniture. Do you love wild, bright colors? Then choose lime, lemon, orange or red. Do you like softer pastels? Peach, teal, butter yellow, even lavender are beautiful with brown. I used a soft teal, tan and cream with brown and it's lovely and expresses my more subtle style, but still adds color. Take a picture of a painting you absolutely love. Pull colors from that for your room! Also, don't forget texture. Satiny or "nubby" curtains, a knitted throw, soft pillows, etc. you can make beautiful pillow covers from garage sale sweaters or afghans. Choose ones with lots of cables. Have fun and choose colors you love. Look through magazines and pull out pictures you love. Put them in a "design" notebook.

December 5, 2016 Flag

Can you please suggest the color for the curtains and anything else that I can do to brighten the room?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

At the moment it all looks very square, harsh and formal. I think curtains with a light brown or beige background would be good and just to soften down the square look, with a simple pattern of curved shapes. These could be in a darker shade of brown or a colour. If you choose a colour, add something else in the same colour elsewhere in the room for balance, such as in cushions or picture frames

January 6, 2016 Flag

I have pumpkin colored walls in my kitchen and a brown floor. I am wondering what color curtains would look the best on the french doors. I've posted a picture of the color and french doors. Thanks in advance.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

apricot would a great color as its a few shades lighter ..just for further reference

November 20, 2016 Flag

I just painted my walls a dark rustic red color and one wall is accented with dark brown stained wood planks. My couches are dark leather brown, my ceiling is white, and the carpet is light tan. My wall trim is dark brown. What would be the best color curtains for the one big window in my living room? I though of hanging a burlap curtain, but I'm afraid that's too much light color with all the dark color in the room.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

That sounds like a great idea thanks!

August 31, 2016 Flag

I have painted my master bedroom light grey and my bedroom set is black with silver. Which color should I pick for my curtains and area rug that will look great all year long? How about during fall season?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have painted my hall light grey and my cabinets silver n grey.which colour curtains should I pick

November 9, 2016 Flag

I have a floral pattern sofa. The walls are light sage, the verticals on the windows are dark brown. I have included photos of my sofa. I need valances. Please give me suggestions: solid, pattern, checked, or plaid and the color(s). Please respond as soon as you can.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

A designer once told me to pick one or two colours from your sofa and use for accessories such as draperies, throw pillows etc. Because your upholstery is a floral I would go with a solid colour fabric for your valances.

November 5, 2016 Flag

My walls are a very soft sage. The sofa is floral with yellow, green, red, and orange. What color and pattern would work for valances? I need to tie the room together to make it look finished.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I'd pick one of the colors from sofa that isn't green.

October 3, 2016 Flag

My husband and I just bought a house. The living room/dining area is covered in gray and white tiles with gray walls. We do not have the money right now to remove them and lay hardwood floors. What color curtains would you suggest to go with all the gray and white?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Since grey and white are both neutral colors, almost anything goes. You could keep it neutral or got for a color pop like red, turquoise or even your favorite shade of green

October 3, 2016 Flag

I bought a cobalt blue (or perhaps a bit darker) velvet settee and want to know what color curtains and cushions would go best. I have white walls and each recess has grey painted shelves and cupboard. I have not got an image, sorry.
Thanks.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Yellow or mustard?

January 29, 2016 Flag

I have a dark chocolate sofa and chair. The walls are beige, so is the ceiling. What color should the curtains and sheers be? I'm also going to add some decor and an art wall. Please help me.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

A nice pattern in the mint to turquoise area with the same Brown . Like the eye cat print & use the same shears. Iridescent and pearl accessories around will be nice. Good luck :)

January 12, 2014 Flag

I have tan walls, brown furniture and one blue accent wall. What color should I use for curtains? I'm thinking white because it is safe and goes with everything. Any other ideas?

By Amanda B.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

A deeper or brighter blue might work. What color is the wall where the window is located? I would suggest keeping the curtains in the same color family as the wall, and using white for accents repeated throughout the room - pillows, large pictures, vases, throw rugs, lamps, etc. General rule is not more than three colors, but you can play with the intensity of the color - bright, shiny brown, bright blue, pale blue.

January 4, 2016 Flag

Would moss green curtains look good on kitchen french doors? The kitchen walls are a pumpkin color and the floor is brown.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Thanks for all your responses. Great idea to get material.

April 3, 2016 Flag

I have a red leather sectional. Everything else is neutral beige walls, black or espresso furniture, and dark wood floors. What color curtains should I get? I was thinking black or tan.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Something else you might want to consider if/when you purchase a new area rug. Most interior decorators agree that when using an area rug, each piece of furniture should be either all the way on the rug or all the way off.

October 27, 2016 Flag

Could you please suggest which color curtain I need to buy for my neutral color walls? I got a set of curtains, but am not satisfied with the look. I have attached the pic. I appreciated your help.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Try to brighten it up some. Even add some curtain rod decorations. There's endless possibilities for making some thing look like it's out of home and garden cheap.

August 8, 2015 Flag

My husband and I just bought our home and we have a gray sofa-sectional, but are debating on the colors for our curtains. Eventually, we want to stain our floors darker and paint our walls a very light gray (almost white).

livingroom

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Load More
Home and Garden Home Improvement Decorating CurtainsApril 20, 2012
Metal Door
Attaching a Curtain Rod to a Metal Door
Cleaning a Shower Curtain
Cleaning a Shower Curtain
Curtains and Rug
Curtain and Rug Color Advice
Woman hanging a window treatment.
Window Treatment Advice
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 16, 2017 at 11:20:11 AM on 10.0.2.254 in 24 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.