Browsing: How to Keep Dogs Out of Your Yard

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

How to Keep Dogs Out of Your Yard

Dogs entering your yard can be a challenge to control. This guide is about how to keep dogs out of your yard.

Keep Dogs Out of Your Yard
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

January 26, 2011 Flag

How can I keep the neighbors 2 dogs out of my yard? They keep digging holes which gives them access to my yard. I have talked to them about it and they have done nothing to stop it. I was almost attacked along with my child and they don't seem to care. Is there anything I can do?

By Ericka from Antioch, TN

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I would do several things. I would definitely call the police on the non-emergency line, and ask for their advice. If you have a lawyer, you might ask the lawyer to write them a letter asking them to keep their dogs better confined. Keep meticulous records of incidents and what actions you have taken. You should take photos, too.

I would also buy fire crackers and wait until the dogs are digging and throw them at the holes where they are digging. The point here is not to hurt the dogs, but to scare them. You could also get one of those noisy air horns and blow it as close as you can safely get when they are digging. If you or your husband are handy, you could run a strand of electric fencing along the bottom of the fence. Then, of course, you have to keep your own child away from it. You might fill balloons with a water/ammonia mixture, and put it in the holes, and when they dig, it will pop the balloons and they'll dislike the smell. If you know someone with a lot of rose bushes, put any clippings you can get in the holes they dig.

Big jars of red pepper flakes from the dollar store might deter them a bit; but you would have to replace them after every good rain.

If you know anyone who can give you large rocks, you could line your side of the fence with the large rocks, and push any into the holes they dig. If you make digging at your side of the fence "not worth it", maybe they will go to the other side.

You could turn a hose on them, as well, as they dig. This time of year, they may not like the cold, wet. I hope your neighbors take more responsibility for their pets. It's not the dogs' fault, but you need to feel safe in your own yard!

Why is it some folks can't control their pets? I agree photos, or even a video of the dogs in your yard should help to do the trick. Good luck to you.

Dogs will be dogs. However, they would not be digging their way into your yard, if a) there is something they want to get away from or b) there is something they want in your yard.

Spend the money to put cement or concrete blocks below the fence as suggested above. Dealing with some neighbours is like dealing with squirrels, you just cannot win the battle. So why cause yourself more stress.

No one ever promised that like would be fair.

I really do feel sorry for you. Try and block off all access to your yard except one. Have some-thing handy to stop their escape back home and call your local council and ask the Ranger to collect them. The owners will have to pay council pound fees to have them released. Good luck.

Read More Answers...

May 24, 2015 Flag

How do I stop the neighbor's dog from coming into my yard and pooping and peeing? We have a leash law, but they let their dog run free. If I call the dog officer they will know it's me complaining.

You are not doing them a favor by ignoring the fact that the dog runs loose. It is not safe for the dog for many reasons. I would write them as friendly note as possible saying you are concerned for the dog. You are giving them a" heads up" so they can address the issue. If nothing changes, then animal control will be notified.

Put a fence around your property. Then the dog can no longer trespass on your yard. Livestock fence shouldn't be expensive.

I had a neighbors two large dogs digging under the fence and coming into my yard ruining my plants. They dug so much I could see the pipes to my sprinkler system. My little dog still doesn't want to go in the back to do his thing; he heads to the front door.

The house is a owned by the resident's Father. I found his phone number and after complaining it's finally gotten better. The times they got in my yard I called animal control but by the time they got here the dogs had run back under and into their yard. If these dogs are roaming the neighborhood how would they know it was you calling. You need to call animal control because people like this don't care amount your property or anyone else.

I have called animal control before, not going to the owner first. That way you don't have to confront them yourself. The results were they started keeping their dog under better control. I hope this helps.

Read More Answers...

September 2, 2013 Flag

This young man who lives behind me on another street walks his dog (on leash) around the block which includes my street. I have nicely asked the owner not walk his dog in my yard and he called me all sorts of names and still intentionally walks into my yard to pee on my plants and trees. My husband sees him do this after I asked him not to, then when my husband tells him not to the young man didn't run his mouth, but intentionally lead the dog over and had him pee on my husband's work van on the side that we could not see. How can I stop the dog from walking into the yard?

By Michell

Not all cities allow front yard fences because of new laws plus not everyone wants a fence. I agree with Lizzyanny to return the deposit to it's rightful owner. If this guy dropped a $100 bill he would want it back, so treat the poop like it's a $100 bill. You can always wait for him and start watering your yard when you see him coming or just sit out front and enjoy the evening.

I hate to say it but this kid seems to need attention. As long as you make an issue about it he will continue to do it. Have you tried placing warning signs on your lawn? Like - Warning dangerous pesticide has been applied on grass? If he loves his dog it might work. Have you tried talking to his family about this? Have you called the police to report his trespassing? It is against the law for someone to come on your property - post a no trespassing sign. If you go to Radio Shack you could probably buy a cheap monitoring camera, mount it near the trespassing sign. Good luck.

I have the same problem except its my front garden which has a footpath on its edge and also its an elderly lady who walks her dog on the footpath, she stops every day while he pees and pops, she has now started to wave at me while I stand staring at her through the window! I'm going to try putting jeys fluid around the periphery its meant to keep them away (possibly any other very strong smelling disinfectant may also do the trick), apparently grounding up fresh chillies and spreading it around the border is useful too.

Hope this helps!

There are other answers to this. It seems like you covered the basics for "normal" neighbors, but this one is a bad neighbor. Here's an article that details the steps you can take up to and including police and legal action: http://badneighboradvice.com/pages/ ... hbor-s-pet-keeps-coming-into-my-yard

As the article details, it's important to collect evidence that can't effectively be challenged.

Not having solid evidence gets into a "he said, she said" scenario that leads to bad feelings and no resolution.

Read More Answers...

January 8, 2014 Flag

New renters behind our house have 2 large Pit Bulls that are chewing through our redwood fence to come into our yard and now I don't feel safe going out there with my 3 year old and 8 month old children. The owners had the renters place cement blocks along the bottom of the fence only to cause the dogs to bust right through the fence 2 days later! My husband found multiple loose boards so they must have been working at it for awhile.

The landlords don't have control on how much the renters exercise their dogs and want us to go 50/50 on a new fence ASAP as they are obviously scared that the dogs will end up doing damage to our property or our kids and they would be liable. What kind of fence is best? They want PVC, but it is very expensive and I read that big determined dogs will destroy this type of fence as well. Help please!

By Lisa C.

Wow! What a scary situation. 1st off you are not obligated to go 50/50 for a new fence to protect your neighbors from a lawsuit. However in real life you may feel you want to make a contribution. After all they have destroyed a fence that worked for everything but their dogs. The responsibility is 100% theirs.

The standard fence for pit bulls is 8 feet tall. Anything else they will get through or over. Watch a couple episodes on Pit Bulls and Parolees on cable (Animal Planet). They deal a lot with this issue and will not adopt out a dog to anyone without this type of fence. Don't be bullied on this issue by the landlord or the dog owners. Many towns do not even allow this breed to live within the city limits.

The simple solution is for the home owner to legally write in their renting contract "No dogs permitted under any circumstances.".

In addition to fences, there are other deterrents that can be used. There are liquid deterrents that can be applied to the bottom of the fence and some electronic deterrents that could be used. The key is to make your yard a place they don't actually want to be. It's possible that you will need to escalate to the police or animal control agencies; but, unless you actually feel you are in danger, you should try other things first. Here's a good article that details the steps and solutions you should consider: http://badneighboradvice.com/pages/ ... hbor-s-pet-keeps-coming-into-my-yard

The landlord doesn't want a lawsuit, but he wants you to pay so it isn't hit with a lawsuit? Ask him which of the two is likely to be the most costly. Then get a can of bear spray. Not pepper spray for humans, BEAR SPRAY. It's stronger and will shoot 30 feet. They are usually very effective on dogs. If you are out in the yard, have the spray with you. If the dogs so much as stick their heads through the fence, spray them.

Read More Answers...
Load More
Home and Garden Pest Control DogsAugust 14, 2012
Raccoon in park trash bin with plastic bag in its mouth.
Keeping Raccoons Out of the Trash
Keeping Animals Out of Your Garbage, Raccoon Scavenging Garbage
Keeping Animals Out of Your Garbage
A dog sitting in a garden.
Keeping Dogs Out of Your Garden
Mole Digging Out of Hole into Open Air
Getting Rid of Moles in Your Yard
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 21, 2016 at 9:27:01 PM on 10.0.1.53 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.