Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

1 0EmailFollow
Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

You open the dryer door to find the colorful evidence of a pen that made it through the wash. This is a guide about cleaning ink out of a dryer.

Solutions: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Use Bleach to Remove Ink in Dryer

Make a solution of bleach and water. Completely immerse some white towels in the solution and using rubber gloves wring out most of the water from the towels. They should be just damp and not dripping. Next throw the towels in the dryer and turn it on. The bleach will take the ink out after one to two applications of this process.

After you get all the ink out, wipe the dryer down with plain water, making sure to wipe enough to remove all the bleach. Leave the dryer door open to air dry afterward. To be extra sure all the bleach is removed after cleaning you can run whites through the next dryer cycle.

By Renea from Pittston Twp, PA

Tip: Acetone Nail Polish Remover and Magic Eraser to Remove Ink

Pure acetone nail polish remover poured on a Magic Eraser works like a charm. The ink that my roommate got on my dryer came right up using this method. I should have made her do it!

Tip: Use Goof Off to Remove Ink from Dryer

Try using a product called Goof Off available at home improvement stores. It has removed ink from my dryer several times.

By Catharina

Tip: Nail Polish Remover for Ink in Dryer

I tried everything and the only thing that worked was nail polish remover. I put the remover on a white rag and rubbed on the ink. I then ran the dryer for 10 minutes with old towels in the dryer. Good as new.

By

Tip: Bleach to Clean Ink in Dryer

I tried several ideas and this is what worked for me. My dryer has a white drum and it was covered in ink (about 80%). I soaked a old clean towel in a hot water/bleach solution. I used a half of bucket water with 2 cups of bleach. I let the rag soak and then I put the dripping rag in the dryer. I ran it on high heat for about 30 minutes. It really works!

It removed most of the stains. I cleaned the rest up with a Mr Clean Magic Eraser with nail polish remover. All the stains are completely gone. I never thought I would get them out. I washed the drum out good with a warm soapy rag to pick up any residue.

By

Tip: Use Towels With Bleach to Remove Ink in a Dryer

To get ink off a dryer drum soak towel in bleach and put in dryer, run dryer for 5 to 10 minutes. I tried other tips on this website but they did not work. The bleach towel trick did.

By Lacey

Editor's Note: Be sure you use a diluted bleach solution and make sure all bleach residue is removed from dryer before using it to dry clean clothes.

Tip: Use Scrubbing Bubbles to Remove Ink from Dryer

I looked on this site to find an answer to remove ink from a dryer drum. Many said to use fingernail polish remover, too many fumes for me. I tried some hairspray and that was too messy and also stunk. I then tried Scrubbing Bubbles Action Scrubber and it did not stink. It took the ink off so easy. Do wear rubber gloves. Wipe it down with a wet cloth when done. It was so easy. I had it cleaned within 45 minutes.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Hope this one helps.

Kat from Ohio

Tip: Use Alcohol to Remove Pen Ink in Dryer

To remove ink use rubbing alcohol. Put some rubbing alcohol into a small cup. Using an old toothbrush dipped in the alcohol, gently scrub at the ink. Once you have remove the ink, wipe up any excess alcohol. Leave the door open for awhile and allow the dryer to air out.

By TF

Tip: Carburetor Cleaner for Removing Ink

Use Carburetor Cleaner! You spray on, it comes right off. NO scrubbing, NO mess. This works great and fast but must be cleaned up properly and ventilated.Make sure the dryer is not hot, and don't run it for at least an hour or two afterward. You may need a few cans.

CAUTION: Carburetor Cleaner is HIGHLY FLAMMABLE. Don't use this method unless you are familiar with using this type of solvent.

Make sure you only spray small areas at a time, cover any open areas or vents with masking tape. When ink is removed, wipe down dryer with a dishwashing soap to go over the area removing any carb fluids left behind. Remove the masking tape before running dryer.

By

Tip: Paint Remover and Hair Spray to Remove Ink

This happened to me several years ago when my son left a pen in his pocket. I used paint remover and hair spray. I put it on a rag (separately), then scrubbed and scrubbed. Then I washed out the paint remover with more rags with soap and water on them. Next I tumbled wet rags in it several times to make sure it was all gone and the smell was gone. Trust me, I always checked pockets after that.

Note: Be careful not to stick your head inside the dryer while you work or you will be essentially using ''paint sniffing" drugs.

Tip: Stain Remover and Comet to Remove Ink

I recently had ink all over my dryer. I used laundry stain remover and Comet, made into a paste. Just rinse and let dry. It came off so easily.

Tip: Use Brake Cleaner to Remove Ink in Dryer

What I found that works on any stain, grass, tar, ink, you name it is "non-chlorinated brake cleaner". This will work on any ink that has transferred to the clothing too. You can get it at any auto parts store. Apply small amounts to the ink using an old toothbrush. Wipe out any excess fluid with a paper towel. Make sure you use it in a well-ventilated area or turn on a fan. Once you have removed the ink, leave your dryer door open and allow it to air out.

By Mr. Mom

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer.

Question: Removing Ink Stains from Dryer

I have gotten ball point ink on my dryer as I left a pen in my jeans. It went through the wash. Do you have a solution for getting the horrible stain off?

By June HN from Courtenay B.C. Canada

Question: Removing Ink from the Dryer

How do you get pen ink out of a dryer?

By Toshia

Best Answer

By Robyn Fed [388]02/11/2012

Get some old towels and household bleach. This method takes time but it works.

The old towels are soaked in bleach and water solution.

Place inside the dryer and turn it on.

It may take a few tries but it should work....

Read more: How to Get Pen Ink Out of a Clothes Dryer | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_4867534_pen ... out-clothes-dryer.html#ixzz1m8T5qA6C

Question: Cleaning Blue Ink Out of a Dryer

How do I remove ink from inside a dryer drum?

By Cyndi D.

Most Recent Answer

By Vicki [21]12/07/2011

This happened to me several years ago when my son left a pen in his pocket. I used paint remover and hair spray. I put it on a rag (separately) and scrubbed and scrubbed. (Be careful not to stick your head inside the dryer while you work or you will be essentially using "paint sniffing" drugs.) Then I washed out the paint remover with more rags with soap and water on them. And then I tumbled wet rags in it several times to make sure it was all gone and the smell was gone. Trust me, I always checked pockets after that.

Question: Removing Ink from the Dryer

How do I get ink out of the dryer?

By WMAST from Capitol Heights, MD

Most Recent Answer

By Elizabeth12/06/2011

I take a paper towel and rubbing alcohol. This does the trick for me.

Question: Removing Ink Stains from the Dryer

How do I remove inks stains from the dryer? I was able to remove the ink from the sides of the drum but not the back!

By Vickie

Question: Removing Ink Stains from Dryer Drum

How do you remove ink from a dryer?

By Gerri from Fontana, CA

Most Recent Answer

By Eileen M. [54]06/02/2011

Try the gel-type hand sanitizer (mostly alcohol) on an old sock or other rag, glop on the sanitizer and rub like crazy. Be sure to rub all the sanitizer off when you are done so you don't start a fire.

Question: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

How do you get ink out of the dryer drum?

By Mary from Brentwood, CA

Most Recent Answer

By lagraff12/27/2011

I just want to thank all of you for saving me and my dryer. I tried the bleach and water towel in the dryer and it worked great! I was amazed!

Question: How Do I Remove Permanent Marker from the Dryer?

How do you get marker out of a dryer?

By Lacey

Most Recent Answer

By Buddy Hale06/27/2010

Hey Lacey, I have removed this before. If it hasn't kind of "cooked" on yet. Try a rag with finger nail polish remover, or straight acetone. Do not rub too hard it may remove a little of the finish of the dryer. Pour it on the rag first then rub on stains. Try that. I think that should work.
Buddy

Question: Removing Laundry Marker From Dryer Drum

Accidentally, a laundry marker got in my dryer. It was in a dryer cycle and marked up the whole inside of the drum in approx 1/4 inch marks. These marks are also all over the 2 blankets that were in the dryer.

What do you recommend to clean the dryer. I've tried soap and water, and a little bleach, and had no luck. What do you recommend to clean the blankets? Thanks.

Cathren from Illinois

Most Recent Answer

By jennifer09/10/2009

I used this site when my kid put a marker in his pocket, and I washed it and dried it, it left purple marker all over the dryer drum. I used nail polish remover with a cloth and scrubbed it, then I soaked a towel in bleach and water and dried it. It all came off. It was wonderful. I just bought the dryer a month ago, thank god!

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

I mistakenly washed and dried an ink pen. I have in on some clothing and the dryer has ink all over the drum.

Archive: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

How to you get ink out of dryer?

Janice from Harrisonburg, VA

RE: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

The bleach+towels trick worked for me! What I did instead of using pure bleach is I sprayed Clorox Clean-Up on the dryer drum. Then I tossed two rags and a towel in the dryer. Every 15 minutes stopped the dryer and sprayed more Clorox Clean-Up. The dryer looks great! (02/17/2007)

By Robinson

RE: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

I had a fit when my son dried his clothes with a ballpoint pen in his pocket. I had blue ink everywhere in drum, what a mess. I tried the magic sponge and non acetone nail polish remover on warm drum, worked pretty good. Drum still has a slight blue tinge, I'll try that bleach towel next. (02/21/2007)

By Ralph

RE: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

When I got up this morning and saw my stainless steel and white dryer cover in black ink due to an exploded pen I thought it was ruined. Hubby and I used goo gone and then rubbing alcohol to get it off as much as we could and then we soaked a towel in water and poured bleach all over the towel and rung it out slightly and tossed it in the dryer on high heat - we did this two times and the dryer is as good as new - no more ink stains! We ran a regular soaking wet towel to get off the bleach residue and also a dryer sheet to remove the smell. Thank God all is well and I will always remember to check those pockets. (02/22/2007)

By Nstr

RE: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

Nail polish remover seemed to work just fine. I still have some light blue smears here and there, but otherwise good as new! Thanks for posting this stuff! I wonder if paint thinner would work? (02/24/2007)

By charlie

RE: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

My tenant ruined my new drier! I tried rubbing with alchohol, nail polish remover etc etc. I read this and tried the bleach and towel trick. I am AMAZED. Just put a bleach & water soaked old towel in the drier and run at 30 minute intervals re-soaking the towel. It took me three times, but I cannot believe how easy and how well this worked. Thanks! (03/10/2007)

By Pat, Florida

RE: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

I recently had my first "pen in the dryer" experience. I thought I ruined the dryer. Nonetheless, I looked on this forum and tried the Magic Eraser, with nail polish remover. I cleaned the dryer a section at a time, going back over each section with clean water to remove the nail polish remover from the dryer, and to prevent the fumes from smelling my house up too bad. (I recommed opening your windows as well.) I soaked a towel in diluted bleach and put it in the dryer with a few dryer sheets to take the remaining smell out of the dryer. I love you guys! It worked, my dryer is clean again! Thank you! (03/25/2007)

By Guest

RE: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

Thanks for all your good info. I sent a gel ink pen through the wash and dryer, and found it when I came back from vacation. It looked like someone took a paintbrush and black paint and swabbed the inside of my couple month old dryer. Alcohol and the Mr.Clean Magic Sponge did the trick, although you still have to be a bit of a contortionist and breathe deeply outside of the dryer. I rewashed my inked clothes using the Oxy Clean, baking soda and laundry soap recipe with mixed results. Some came out clean, and some still need some work. I appreciate all the help! (04/15/2007)

By MEK

RE: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

Thank you! Whoever discovered the bleached soaked towels! My dryer was scary, believe me. The towels soaked in bleach worked perfect. I can hardly believe it. Of course my whole house and my hands will smell like bleach for a week but its a small price to pay! I did do it 3 times but only to be certain. I recommend that. (06/01/2007)

By Candie

Archive: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

I had an ink pen explode in dryer. I tried acetone last night, it helped but there is still light blue everywhere.

Archive: Cleaning Ink out of Inside of the Dryer

Help! I had a pen get loose in the dryer.

Archive: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

How do you remove ink from a dryer? And Clothes?

Archive: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

How do you remove pen ink from your clothes dryer? Hubby said it will not hurt anything else as it is baked on, but I am afraid it will. Thanks.

Joanna from Cookeville

RE: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

(Submitted by email) Magic Eraser and nail polish remover worked great! Lois (03/07/2009)

By Sally_Admin

RE: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

Please make sure that if you use anything flammable to get the ink out, you clean the dryer well with soap and warm water to remove the flammable cleaner. (03/13/2009)

By Scooter 2

Archive: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

I need help removing ink from a dryer. I give high marks for the suggestion of nail polish remover and Mr Clean eraser pad.

Archive: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

How do I get blue ink out off the walls of a clothes dryer?

Archive: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

Is it safe to use alcohol in your dryer to get pen ink stains out?

Archive: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

How do I get ink out of a dryer?