Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

You open the dryer door to find the colorful evidence of a pen that made it through the wash. This is a guide about cleaning ink out of a dryer.

Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer
Filter Sort

Question: Removing Ink from Dryer

By Angel 1

How do I get pink pen ink off my dryer drum?

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Use Bleach to Remove Ink in Dryer

By Renea A 3 4

Make a solution of bleach and water. Completely immerse some white towels in the solution and using rubber gloves wring out most of the water from the towels. They should be just damp and not dripping. Next throw the towels in the dryer and turn it on. The bleach will take the ink out after one to two applications of this process.

After you get all the ink out, wipe the dryer down with plain water, making sure to wipe enough to remove all the bleach. Leave the dryer door open to air dry afterward. To be extra sure all the bleach is removed after cleaning you can run whites through the next dryer cycle.

By Renea from Pittston Twp, PA

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Acetone Nail Polish Remover and Magic Eraser to Remove Ink

Pure acetone nail polish remover poured on a Magic Eraser works like a charm. The ink that my roommate got on my dryer came right up using this method. I should have made her do it!

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

By Mary 1

How do you get ink out of the dryer drum?

By Mary from Brentwood, CA

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By lagraff 1 Flag

I just want to thank all of you for saving me and my dryer. I tried the bleach and water towel in the dryer and it worked great! I was amazed!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Laundry Marker From Dryer Drum

By Cathren 3 1

Accidentally, a laundry marker got in my dryer. It was in a dryer cycle and marked up the whole inside of the drum in approx 1/4 inch marks. These marks are also all over the 2 blankets that were in the dryer.

What do you recommend to clean the dryer. I've tried soap and water, and a little bleach, and had no luck. What do you recommend to clean the blankets? Thanks.

Cathren from Illinois

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By jennifer 1 Flag

I used this site when my kid put a marker in his pocket, and I washed it and dried it, it left purple marker all over the dryer drum. I used nail polish remover with a cloth and scrubbed it, then I soaked a towel in bleach and water and dried it. It all came off. It was wonderful. I just bought the dryer a month ago, thank god!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Ink from the Dryer

How do you get pen ink out of a dryer?

By Toshia

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Best Answer

By Robyn Fed 394 1,240 Flag

Get some old towels and household bleach. This method takes time but it works.

The old towels are soaked in bleach and water solution.

Place inside the dryer and turn it on.

It may take a few tries but it should work....

Read more: How to Get Pen Ink Out of a Clothes Dryer | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_4867534_pen ... out-clothes-dryer.html#ixzz1m8T5qA6C

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Ink Stains from Dryer Drum

How do you remove ink from a dryer?

By Gerri from Fontana, CA

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Eileen M. 56 240 Flag

Try the gel-type hand sanitizer (mostly alcohol) on an old sock or other rag, glop on the sanitizer and rub like crazy. Be sure to rub all the sanitizer off when you are done so you don't start a fire.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Use Towels With Bleach to Remove Ink in a Dryer

By Lacey 1

To get ink off a dryer drum soak towel in bleach and put in dryer, run dryer for 5 to 10 minutes. I tried other tips on this website but they did not work. The bleach towel trick did.

By Lacey

Editor's Note: Be sure you use a diluted bleach solution and make sure all bleach residue is removed from dryer before using it to dry clean clothes.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Use Goof Off to Remove Ink from Dryer

Try using a product called Goof Off available at home improvement stores. It has removed ink from my dryer several times.

By Catharina

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Use Alcohol to Remove Pen Ink in Dryer

To remove ink use rubbing alcohol. Put some rubbing alcohol into a small cup. Using an old toothbrush dipped in the alcohol, gently scrub at the ink. Once you have remove the ink, wipe up any excess alcohol. Leave the door open for awhile and allow the dryer to air out.

By TF

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Ink Stains from Dryer

I have gotten ball point ink on my dryer as I left a pen in my jeans. It went through the wash. Do you have a solution for getting the horrible stain off?

By June HN from Courtenay B.C. Canada

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Becky Jo J. 1 Flag

Use an old rag and acetone nail polish remover. It comes right off but make sure after you get all the ink off to take a different rag with soapy water. Make sure to get all of the acetone off and let the drier air dry.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Nail Polish Remover for Ink in Dryer

By Tracy L. M. 1

I tried everything and the only thing that worked was nail polish remover. I put the remover on a white rag and rubbed on the ink. I then ran the dryer for 10 minutes with old towels in the dryer. Good as new.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Bleach to Clean Ink in Dryer

By Mainelady13 1

I tried several ideas and this is what worked for me. My dryer has a white drum and it was covered in ink (about 80%). I soaked a old clean towel in a hot water/bleach solution. I used a half of bucket water with 2 cups of bleach. I let the rag soak and then I put the dripping rag in the dryer. I ran it on high heat for about 30 minutes. It really works!

It removed most of the stains. I cleaned the rest up with a Mr Clean Magic Eraser with nail polish remover. All the stains are completely gone. I never thought I would get them out. I washed the drum out good with a warm soapy rag to pick up any residue.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Paint Remover and Hair Spray to Remove Ink

By Vicki 24 428

This happened to me several years ago when my son left a pen in his pocket. I used paint remover and hair spray. I put it on a rag (separately), then scrubbed and scrubbed. Then I washed out the paint remover with more rags with soap and water on them. Next I tumbled wet rags in it several times to make sure it was all gone and the smell was gone. Trust me, I always checked pockets after that.

Note: Be careful not to stick your head inside the dryer while you work or you will be essentially using ''paint sniffing" drugs.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Cleaning Blue Ink Out of a Dryer

By Cyndi D. 1

How do I remove ink from inside a dryer drum?

By Cyndi D.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Vicki 24 428 Flag

This happened to me several years ago when my son left a pen in his pocket. I used paint remover and hair spray. I put it on a rag (separately) and scrubbed and scrubbed. (Be careful not to stick your head inside the dryer while you work or you will be essentially using "paint sniffing" drugs.) Then I washed out the paint remover with more rags with soap and water on them. And then I tumbled wet rags in it several times to make sure it was all gone and the smell was gone. Trust me, I always checked pockets after that.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Ink from the Dryer

By WMAST 1 1

How do I get ink out of the dryer?

By WMAST from Capitol Heights, MD

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Elizabeth 200 Flag

I take a paper towel and rubbing alcohol. This does the trick for me.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: How Do I Remove Permanent Marker from the Dryer?

By lacey 1

How do you get marker out of a dryer?

By Lacey

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Buddy Hale 1 Flag

Hey Lacey, I have removed this before. If it hasn't kind of "cooked" on yet. Try a rag with finger nail polish remover, or straight acetone. Do not rub too hard it may remove a little of the finish of the dryer. Pour it on the rag first then rub on stains. Try that. I think that should work.

Buddy

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Use Scrubbing Bubbles to Remove Ink from Dryer

By kathy 1

I looked on this site to find an answer to remove ink from a dryer drum. Many said to use fingernail polish remover, too many fumes for me. I tried some hairspray and that was too messy and also stunk. I then tried Scrubbing Bubbles Action Scrubber and it did not stink. It took the ink off so easy. Do wear rubber gloves. Wipe it down with a wet cloth when done. It was so easy. I had it cleaned within 45 minutes.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Hope this one helps.

Kat from Ohio

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Stain Remover and Comet to Remove Ink

I recently had ink all over my dryer. I used laundry stain remover and Comet, made into a paste. Just rinse and let dry. It came off so easily.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Use Brake Cleaner to Remove Ink in Dryer

What I found that works on any stain, grass, tar, ink, you name it is "non-chlorinated brake cleaner". This will work on any ink that has transferred to the clothing too. You can get it at any auto parts store. Apply small amounts to the ink using an old toothbrush. Wipe out any excess fluid with a paper towel. Make sure you use it in a well-ventilated area or turn on a fan. Once you have removed the ink, leave your dryer door open and allow it to air out.

By Mr. Mom

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Rain-X to Remove Ink from Dryer

By mokalabs 1

Use Rain-X X-treme Clean for baked on ink. Put some on a dry cloth and rub for 10 seconds. It removes it easily and without damage to the dryer surface. Clean after with a wet cloth. Soft Scrub may work too, but may be overly abrasive. You can remove the dryer door for easier access.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Carburetor Cleaner for Removing Ink

By Kae911 1

CAUTION: Carburetor Cleaner is HIGHLY FLAMMABLE. Don't use this method unless you are familiar with using this type of solvent. You spray on, it comes right off. NO scrubbing, NO mess.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Ink Stains from the Dryer

How do I remove inks stains from the dryer? I was able to remove the ink from the sides of the drum but not the back!

By Vickie

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Archive: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

I mistakenly washed and dried an ink pen. I have in on some clothing and the dryer has ink all over the drum. I've tried kitchen cleaner to remove stains on the dryer drum with no luck. Can this be removed or is my 2 year old dryer shot? Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks,
          Stephanie

Answers:

Rubbing alcohol

Rubbing alcohol will remove the ink. I got ink in the dryer, too, and used rubbing alcohol, and it worked. I got the tip from the book: How to Clean Practically Anything. (07/24/2004)

By Nikki

Windex

I used window spray or windex on my Maytag dryer, worked fine but I wasn't so lucky with the clothes. (08/23/2004)

By JB

Hairspray

Thanks for the info on getting ink out of the dryer, the hairspray helped a lot. It doesn't take out all of the blue of the pen, I think that is now a permanent feature, but it does remove the ink that is on the surface causing the spots on the laundry.

As for getting out the ink already on the laundry try using Carbona's Stain Devils #3 Ink & Crayon. It is absolutely awesome at getting out ink stains. It also removed the ink in the dryer however hairspray is a lot cheaper.

Carbona also has other spot removers such as chewing gum & glue, fat grease & oil (awesome!!!), make-up & grass, fruit & wine and many others.

These MIGHT be found at your local Wal Mart, ShopKo etc... however I can only find them at JoAnn's Fabrics and Crafts. They are about $3.49 for 1.7 fl. oz., well worth the price when your clothes are on the line. (12/29/2004)

By Sarah

Rubbing Alcohol

I just wanted to let everyone know that I used the rubbing alcohol and it's working! I'm trying it on the clothes as well and it's taking some of it off. I'll have to work at it because it's all over! Thanks so much for everyone's help! (02/25/2005)

By Happy

Rubbing Alcohol

I used Mr. Clean's Magic Eraser and rubbing alcohol. Worked perfect with not much scrubbing.
          (04/24/2005)

By leirej

Rubbing Alcohol

Try regular rubbing alcohol. (05/04/2005)

By Heitzler2

Lysol Spray

Hair spray worked, but lysol spray disinfectant took all the blue color out. (08/07/2005)

By Rebecca

Magic Eraser

We tried all of the above suggestions but ultimately the only two products that worked for us were Lysol and nail polish remover. Lysol was effective on the thick spots to loosen the ink only. However, the nail polish remover (non-acetone seemed to work better) soaked on a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser (with a lot of elbow grease) eventually removed all of the ink stains on the dryer drum. (09/04/2005)

By John Paul

Magic Eraser

I used the Mr Clean magic eraser with non-acetone nail polish remover and it worked like a charm. It took the blue ink out of my white dryer completely. I couldn't believe how it just came right out. The one thing that I do urge is for anyone else who may have to do this - make sure you ventilate your area as much as possible and do this task in stages - the fumes from the nail polish remover can really get to you if you don't. (09/07/2005)

By Cindy

Beware

Read the label on the inside of your dryer door. DO NOT EVER USE A FLAMMABLE SOLVENT IN THE DRYER. Even a slight residue can catch on fire. BEWARE. (10/02/2005)

By Betty

Oust

Oust and a roll of paper towels worked great. then I wiped out the dryer with a damp cloth to get the Oust out.
          (12/06/2005)

By Barb

Java Hand Cleaner

Java Hand Cleaner (red pump bottle) (removes grease, ink etc.) used by my husband after working on the car. Does take elbow grease but works even better than the nail polish remover because it has a "grit" in the product. Dryer is still stained but the majority of ink is gone. (12/09/2005)

By Laurie

Magic Eraser

I would also like to thank Cindy for her assistance. After trying Clorox Cleanup, Clorox Bleach, alcohol, Simple Green and calling the manufacturer, that was not helpful, I tried Mr. Clean Magic Eraser with non-acetone nail polish remover. All of the ink came out of my dryer. I had so much ink I had to use two erasers but it worked. Thanks Cindy. (03/12/2006)

By Stephanie V

Thanks

I just want to say thanks to the super solution. I went out and purchased the remover and a magic eraser and within 30 minutes you could hardly tell there was a problem. You guys really saved my rear end, because I live with my girlfriend and she would have killed me. (07/29/2006)

By Frank0075

Wow!

I just tried the non-acetone and Magic eraser. WOW! I also wiped out the dryer with soft scrub and water. Then about an hour or two later wiped it all out with 1/4 cup bleach and water to remove any residue from the cleaners. (08/07/2006)

By Kari.

Dawn Power Desolver

A different solution that worked great. Dawn Power Desolver and a little elbow grease got the ink right out. And no bad fumes! In less than 30 minutes the dryer looked like new. (08/25/2006)

By Diane

My Experience

I too ran into this problem in my almost new dryer. My 16 year old daughter washed and dried some clothes and came to me that there was a pen in the dryer and red spots all over the dryer drum and clothes. I read most of your posts and did a quick test on a few spots with different cleaners. Clorox Bleach® seemed to work best. BUT - I did not then rub every spot - that would be amazingly tedious. The dryer tumbles! I took an old white bath towel and put it in a pail of bleach and water (I used 2 cups to 1 gallon), squeezed it until it was not too heavy but still dripping wet and threw the towel in the dryer on Fluff (no heat) cycle. after (4) 20 minutes cycles my dryer was perfectly clean! I then dried an old blanket that i did not care if a last remnant of the stain got on for a few hours to make sure it was all out - it was! Good luck! Now off to the dry cleaners. (09/13/2006)

By Master Guru

Thanks

I recently dried a black ink pen in our brand new dryer, less than a week old. There was ink everywhere, after an hour of scrubbing with little result, the stains had lightened but that was it, I went to bed to try again in the morning. I used the non acetone and magic eraser after running my dryer for 10 minutes to heat the ink and UNBELIEVABLE! I wiped the stains away in less than 10 minutes, no scrubbing. Thanks for the advise. (09/13/2006)

By RW

Corningware Cleaner & Conditioner

I used Corningware Cleaner & Conditioner to remove the ink marks from my dryer drum. I use this stuff on my Ceran top stove, so figured it would be gentle enough to use on the dryer drum. Worked great and didn't take much elbow grease! (10/14/2006)

By L.E.

Thanks

Thank you all for the brilliant suggestion of using nail polish remover and Mr Clean magic erasers. I had already used soft scrub with bleach, oxi clean, and the magic erasers and got some of it off but it looks perfect now with the nail polish remover. I left a pen in my scrub top, and away it went in to the washer and dryer. If you do this use the others recommendations of using a fan to air the room out and open all the windows. I am SO THANKFUL for all of your help. (10/15/2006)

By Lisa

Wait To Use Dryer After Cleaning!

Give it at least an hour after cleaning so that the fumes can dissipate. Leave the door open. (10/30/2006)

By Amanda

Acetone Nail Polish Remover

I had to remove quite a bit of blue ballpoint pen ink from inside my dryer drum. I read the posts and what I found our was this. A Mr. Clean Magic Eraser works with non-acetone nail polish remover, but only so well. I then used an acetone based nail polish remover with the eraser and it did a WAY better job!
          After 98% of the ink got removed, I washed a big towel in very bleach water then I dried it on the cool setting for 20 minutes, 3 times. This removed any chemical traces and got the drum as good as it could be! The best solution that I've found is to double check your pockets before washing!

Good luck! (11/11/2006)

By Big Mike

Stains on Clothing

"And has anyone tried removing the ink from clothes? Some of our clothing got stained and I was wondering if there was an easier way to get rid of it instead of bringing it to the cleaners or scrubbing it for hours in cold water."

My daughter's husband washed a gel pen. White shirts with ink stains went thru the dryer. Used 409 on the dryer and for the shirts they soaked them in BIZ stain remover. Worked great.

(11/18/2006)

By Pam

Two Step Process

After trying everything I found a solution that works!

It is a two step process.

Step One: Put rubbing Alcohol in a spray bottle - spray drum, let stand for a few minutes with door shut. Open to air out with window open than clean. Or take a more longer less smell method and clean with a rag soaked in alcohol.

Step Two: Use straight bleach. Pour bleach in a large mouth measuring cup - fits in dryer well. Apply to dryer with a old rag completely soaking & covering surface, shut dryer let stand for 30 min. If necessary repeat, soak up bleach with old towel and wash drum out completely.

Test dryer with old colored towel to make sure bleach is completely washed out before using.

Your dryer is white once again! (11/20/2006)

By guest

Kaboom Cleaner

Thanks for the info, also found that using Kaboom cleaner takes the ink right out, heat the dryer first, then use the bleached towel afterwards to make sure all the cleaner comes out. Don't use the Spray Kaboom, use the cleanser version in the squeeze bottle that looks like an upside down ketchup bottle. (01/17/2007)

By Derek

Magic Eraser

Magic eraser and nail polish remover! WORKS LIKE A CHARM! Let the dryer heat up for about 10 minutes then go to work. No elbow grease needed. You are left with a spotless dryer and a little bit of a headache from the fumes. (01/27/2007)

By Jessie P

Gojo

Gojo (abrasive orange garage soap/cleaner) works great! No need to de-fume or heat up dryer before hand. Just use a kitchen sponge to scrub on and a wet washcloth to wash off and you're all done! (01/28/2007)

By Tara

Archive: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

How to you get ink out of dryer?

Janice from Harrisonburg, VA

Answers:

RE: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

The bleach+towels trick worked for me! What I did instead of using pure bleach is I sprayed Clorox Clean-Up on the dryer drum. Then I tossed two rags and a towel in the dryer. Every 15 minutes stopped the dryer and sprayed more Clorox Clean-Up. The dryer looks great! (02/17/2007)

By Robinson

RE: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

I had a fit when my son dried his clothes with a ballpoint pen in his pocket. I had blue ink everywhere in drum, what a mess. I tried the magic sponge and non acetone nail polish remover on warm drum, worked pretty good. Drum still has a slight blue tinge, I'll try that bleach towel next. (02/21/2007)

By Ralph

RE: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

When I got up this morning and saw my stainless steel and white dryer cover in black ink due to an exploded pen I thought it was ruined. Hubby and I used goo gone and then rubbing alcohol to get it off as much as we could and then we soaked a towel in water and poured bleach all over the towel and rung it out slightly and tossed it in the dryer on high heat - we did this two times and the dryer is as good as new - no more ink stains! We ran a regular soaking wet towel to get off the bleach residue and also a dryer sheet to remove the smell. Thank God all is well and I will always remember to check those pockets. (02/22/2007)

By Nstr

RE: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

Nail polish remover seemed to work just fine. I still have some light blue smears here and there, but otherwise good as new! Thanks for posting this stuff! I wonder if paint thinner would work? (02/24/2007)

By charlie

RE: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

My tenant ruined my new drier! I tried rubbing with alchohol, nail polish remover etc etc. I read this and tried the bleach and towel trick. I am AMAZED. Just put a bleach & water soaked old towel in the drier and run at 30 minute intervals re-soaking the towel. It took me three times, but I cannot believe how easy and how well this worked. Thanks! (03/10/2007)

By Pat, Florida

RE: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

I recently had my first "pen in the dryer" experience. I thought I ruined the dryer. Nonetheless, I looked on this forum and tried the Magic Eraser, with nail polish remover. I cleaned the dryer a section at a time, going back over each section with clean water to remove the nail polish remover from the dryer, and to prevent the fumes from smelling my house up too bad. (I recommed opening your windows as well.) I soaked a towel in diluted bleach and put it in the dryer with a few dryer sheets to take the remaining smell out of the dryer. I love you guys! It worked, my dryer is clean again!

Thank you! (03/25/2007)

By Guest

RE: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

Thanks for all your good info. I sent a gel ink pen through the wash and dryer, and found it when I came back from vacation. It looked like someone took a paintbrush and black paint and swabbed the inside of my couple month old dryer. Alcohol and the Mr.Clean Magic Sponge did the trick, although you still have to be a bit of a contortionist and breathe deeply outside of the dryer. I rewashed my inked clothes using the Oxy Clean, baking soda and laundry soap recipe with mixed results. Some came out clean, and some still need some work. I appreciate all the help! (04/15/2007)

By MEK

RE: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

Thank you! Whoever discovered the bleached soaked towels! My dryer was scary, believe me. The towels soaked in bleach worked perfect. I can hardly believe it. Of course my whole house and my hands will smell like bleach for a week but its a small price to pay! I did do it 3 times but only to be certain. I recommend that. (06/01/2007)

By Candie

Archive: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

I had an ink pen explode in dryer. I tried acetone last night, it helped but there is still light blue everywhere. Please help, it's a brand new dryer!

LISA from Tulsa, OK

Answers:

RE: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

I have a duet dryer and the fingernail polish remover worked wonderfully! I was able to get it gone before the hubby found it. Thank-you!!!! (06/08/2007)

By Sherry

RE: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

I was amazed when I used the magic eraser and nail polish remover to get the ink stain out of my brand new dryer. It worked great, my dryer looks great. Thanks for the tip. Just keep going the smell and headache are worth the end result. (07/18/2007)

By Jackie

RE: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

OK, I would have never believed it. I simply sprayed Clorox Clean-up in my dryer and threw a few towels/rags into the dryer and ran it for about 15 min. I really didn't expect it to work that easily. Just in case I missed any ink, I sprayed one more time. Thanks so much for the idea! (08/02/2007)

By Debbie

RE: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

I used Joy dish soap and a pan scrubber, hard work but the ink is all gone! (08/20/2007)

By

Bleach works!

I soaked 4 bar mop towels I got earlier from Target in bleach and water (they are hand towel size) since they were already white. I ran the dryer on "low." I checked it in 15 minutes and the dryer was COMPLETELY CLEAN! I was so amazed that trick work. Best of all, there was NO ELBOW GREASE INVOLVED! Thank you to those who suggested the bleach and towel trick! We had a gel pen explode in the dryer yesterday. (10/24/2007)

By Cheryl

RE: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

Using a cheap cologne (doesn't smell bad like bleach) and magic eraser works great! I just cleaned my drying for the second time in a year due to ink. I used this site the first time too. (11/20/2007)

By Jo

RE: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

My son did the ink pen in the dryer too. Most of his school clothes were in there covered with ink as well as my 3 mo. old dryer drum. Non-acetone finger nail polish remover took it out of the dryer drum fairly easily. As for the clothes.... I SAVED THE CLOTHES! I couldn't believe it but I read on a site about a Biz boil. I boiled 1 item at a time in a large pot on my stove. Dissolve 1 cup of Biz laundry additive in the pot as it starts to boil and add the item of clothing. I did spray them with Spray n Wash right before dropping them in the water. The ink changed colors and disappeared! Some took up to 45 mins but it's worth the wait.

I put them in the washer after the boil and washed with Tide and Biz. I got the ink out of 4 Hollister shirts that had white collars with white and colored stripes on the body AND 3 pairs of tan Polo pants. Try this before you toss the clothes! It works! These clothes were covered with hundreds of ink spots! (01/15/2008)

By Dawn

RE: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

I used an orange-based product called Orange Blast that worked great! Sprayed it on and wiped with a rag and the ink came right off. And it's not flammable or odorous. My next load just smelled pleasantly of oranges. Not to mention- no noxious fumes while you shoulder deep in the dryer! You might try it. I'm just so glad I didn't have to buy a new dryer! BTW- It worked on the laundry too. (01/16/2008)

By Jennifer M.

RE: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

I tried the nail polish remover & it did not work, I tried the perfume & no luck there either. I finally tried the bleach/water on an old towel/rag & ran that in the dryer for about 30 mins. Wow! It worked! After that was done I wiped out the dryer with warm water & ran a few dryer sheets in the dryer for 10 mins. So glad I googled my problem & found these ideas. thanks! (02/14/2008)

By Wendy

Archive: Cleaning Ink out of Inside of the Dryer

Help! I had a pen get loose in the dryer.

Citecr

Answers:

RE: Cleaning Ink out of Inside of the Dryer

You may use Rubbing Alcohol. Use a rag or an old washcloth and pour a little bit of rubbing alcohol on it and start rubbing on the ink spot in your dryer. Repeat the process until done. Because of the fumes it is necessary to open your windows. you may have to work at it several time or you may get light headed. Once you have most ot the ink removed (you may not be able to remove all of it), overall if it is on the seals and joints... wait till the fumes are disipated then run your empty dryer on heat for one cycle. See if some of the ink is running or melting and wipe the dryer drum thoroughly, then run your dryer through another hot cycle, this time with an old light colored towel or rag. When the cycle is over you will then see if you have any residue on the towel or rag. It worked for me.
          (06/11/2004)

By Mary F

My dryer had ink from a ballpoint pen all over the inside. I used Mr. Clean Magic Eraser dipped in non-acetone fingernail polish remover. It took 4 erasers and two bottles of polish remover. It worked, but the fumes are deadly. We had to move the dryer into the garage and open the garage door to get enough ventilation. Also, we had to wipe a bit, then walk away and take breaths of fresh air, then repeat that process for a couple of hours. After cleaning the ink out, we washed down the inside with water and Mr. Clean. After letting the inside dry out, I ran a load of clothing through last night and it is just fine now. (09/19/2006)

By Lynn

I used a old bottle of perfume - took me about 10 minutes. The alcohol in the perfume is what does it. (09/22/2006)

By Debbie

After reviewing the responses, I used perfume. It took me no more than 5 minutes to clean the whole drum. Thanks for saving me. (09/26/2006)

By

I used the perfume and it worked great, how did you get rid of the perfume scent? (01/25/2007)

By The Redmonds

I used the perfume and it definitely worked. Unfortunately I didn't check here first. I spent 1 1/2 hours scrubbing first. The perfume works and then I used alcohol to try to neutralize the perfume smell. It really didn't take the smell away and my son isn't going to like that his military fatigues smell like JLO perfume. (it was his pen) (04/10/2007)

By Shelley L

I used rubbing alcohol and then a wet towel to soak up the fumes and excess ink. Only took me 10 minutes or so. (04/14/2007)

By AJ

The perfume worked. It does matter which perfume you use. First I tried Avon soft musk. It wasn't working fast enough, so I went to my dresser and found Avon comfort scents(cheaper stuff) Holiday Kiss. It started to run immediately. The ink in my dryer was all over in it and had been used by the hubby with the ink in it a few times, which probably baked it on harder. Thanks for tips. (06/12/2007)

By Chris

A pen exploded in our new dryer and my husband used rubbing alcohol and a paper towel and the ink came right off with no problem. We ran an old wet towel in it to make sure there was no ink residue left and it helped eliminate the smell of the alcohol. (06/28/2007)

By Anonymous

Wow, that really worked! Old body spray - spray it on - walk away for a few minutes to not get asphyxiated and then go back in and wipe. I repeated until it was 80/20 and then added the rest of the perfume to a small wet handtowel and 'dried' on hot. Worked like a charm! thanks ya'll. Wasn't sure what I was going to do about that!

(09/27/2007)

By Anonymous

Archive: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

How do you remove ink from a dryer? And Clothes?

Robert from Staten Island, NY

Answers:

RE: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

Regarding the bleach and towel method, does it have to be a "white" towel? Because I have an old towel I can use, but it's not white. (03/25/2008)

By Vicki

RE: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

The bleach and water with white towels did the trick for me. Just be careful when opening the dryer door, there may be some bleach in the air, and you don't want to inhale it. Thanks for the help. (03/26/2008)

By Curtis

RE: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

Thanks for the tips, Magic eracer with the nail polish works perfect to remove ink out of the dryer. The best part is you can reuse the magic eracer by washing it out in cold water. (04/05/2008)

By Steve

RE: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

Thank you so much for the help with the magic scrubs and nail polish remover to get the ink out of my dryer it worked really great. (04/07/2008)

By

RE: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

THANK YOU SO MUCH to whoever posted the cleaning instructions for the bleach soaked towels to remove ink from a dryer drum. I had an ink pen explode in my dryer and was worried that it was ruined. I tried the Clorox Clean up and other items around the house and nothing would work. I drenched a couple of towels & rags (you need a couple) in bleach and water and ran them in the dryer for about 30 minutes and the ink is basically gone! I did have to repeat this 3 times, but it was well worth it! THANKS so much for the great post! (04/14/2008)

By Melissa

RE: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

I just used the magic eraser and fingernail polish remover. It's the best fix for ink in the dryer I have ever used!! (04/16/2008)

By

RE: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

I've found that the stuff you clean counter top ovens works as good as anything and does not smell. (04/16/2008)

By steve

RE: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

I heartily endorse the towels with bleach. I used about 5 towels and they were soggy with bleach water(more bleach than water). I dampened them twice and ran the dryer for about two hours. Towels absorbed the ink. Now I have to wash them. I don't know if the ink will come out but I probably don't care. Rather ink on my towels than on good clothes. (04/27/2008)

By Deborah

RE: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

Awesome! The towels with bleach worked well. Thank you very much. And greetings from PuertoRico (April 2008) (04/29/2008)

By Mike

RE: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

Great tips. Son left red pen in pants - somewhere - I check all pockets, but may have missed one. Boy do I hate those many pocketed cargo pants. Tried rubbing alcohol with some luck then used the magic eraser with acetone nail polish and that really did the trick. I am now finishing up with the clorox clean up and some towels tumbling away. Son did all the scrubbing, it was his pen after all and he is 13. At least I opened up the garage and sliding glass doors so he could have some air. Was so worried when I saw the original mess since this dryer is only a few months old. Thanks again! (05/04/2008)

By mom2mcd

RE: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

By mom2mcd

RE: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

Wow, we all seem to have something ELSE in common, we did this to our almost new dryers. I have the towels and bleach tumbling away with all my fingers crossed, if that doesnt work I will go to magic eraser and nail polish remover. (05/04/2008)

By Dano

RE: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

Trying the towels with bleach. Hopefully it will work. (05/10/2008)

By Fran

RE: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

NEED HELP QUICK, about bleach trick: trying to clean it fast as I can so I don't get spanking :( So do I have to get like 5 towels or something soaked in bleach and water and run the dryer? Like actually dry the towels? (05/14/2008)

By eric

RE: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

Thank you, thank you. I am trying the bleach in the dryer right now. I am pregnant so I am trying to avoid breathing in anything I don't have too. I am doing the clorox bleach on the towels right now (hoping it will work). (05/31/2008)

By merriann

RE: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

Nail polish remover worked like magic! But be sure to clean the drum several times with soap and water because a distributor website said not to use flammable materials...and nail polish remover is extremely flammable! Thanks! (06/03/2008)

By katie

RE: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

Okay, so I tried the towels with Clorox Clean-up. No dice. Tried the magic eraser. Nada. Finally, I pulled out the nail polish remover, and I made some progress, but then I had to wash it out with dish-washing liquid and water (that stuff's flammable) and now I'm going to try the bleachy towels again. Folks, it just wasn't that easy, and after at least an hour, it definitely doesn't look as good as new. Beat those who do not check pockets before doing laundry. Draw and quarter them, I say! (06/14/2008)

By la senora

RE: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

high heat dryer setting with a towel soaked in bleach... perfect (06/17/2008)

By

RE: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

I had a pen that exploded in my dryer today and one of my friends suggested simple green to get the ink out. I tried magic eraser, bleach and pledge all purpose cleaner, but the simple green worked almost instantly. Now the inside of the dryer looks new again! (06/22/2008)

By Greg

RE: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

Wow-thanks to all who suggested using bleach towels to remove ink from our dryer. I drenched 3 towels turned the dryer on high and within 30 minutes I was out of the dog house with my wife Susan. We both appreciate the suggestion. (06/22/2008)

By Bill P.

RE: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

We had a lot of ink in the dryer, and we tried mr. clean, ammonia, paint thinner, a variety of alcohol based things, and goo gone. nothing worked that well- lots of hard scrubbing with minimal results. Tried the bleach towels and within 20 minutes it was completely gone. Best housecleaning tip I have ever tried. (06/24/2008)

By Doug

RE: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

My parents are the "as seen on TV" people who whenever something good comes on, they order it right away. Every time we see a new product come on TV my mom is usually ordering it. Our garage is full of junk that they've bought off TV. So with that said, I found a great multipurpose cleaner called "LA's Totally Awesome Concentrated Multipurpose Cleaner". (Stupid name I know!) I thought, hmm, couldn't make it any worse! So I sprayed some on the ink in my dryer, and let it set for 1-2 minutes, it was already coming off, so I scrubbed at the bigger spots with a laundry stain brush and soaked the smaller spots and rubbed it down with a towel to dry it off and voila! Worked like a charm and only took about 10 minutes!
          Good luck! (06/25/2008)

By Anonymous

RE: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

The towel drenched in Clorex is working!

MUAHUAHA!

Whoever invented this is a genius. Now I won't get yelled at by my parents!

Editor's Note: Make sure that you have good ventilation whenever using bleach. (07/05/2008)

By Eric

RE: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

Forget the bleach towel! It did not touch the ink stains in my dryer, and it left a scratchy residue all over the inside of the dryer. It felt like sandpaper, and then we had to use Dawn and elbow grease to remove the residue. Ink stains remain, and the people who posted about the bleach towel neglected to mention that the towel you use should be a throw away. The combination of bleach and heat eats the towel and when you wash it later, it turns into shredded fluff in your washing machine. Another machine then needs to be cleaned! What a mess. (07/06/2008)

By Karen

RE: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

Thank you to everyone for suggestions. We were house sitting and a pen exploded in our bosses dryer (on the last day none the less). We tried the bleach towels and it took it all away. Thanks again! (07/06/2008)

By Justin

RE: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

The bleach soaked towels! WOW AMAZED! The only thing that work forget the other crap about perfume or degreaser! Bleach soaked towels! (07/19/2008)

By JON

RE: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

Ok it's a brand new dryer and I had used some goo gone pro power spray gel and some of the ink came off and now there are like light blue pen ink still left in the dryer and I tried the hairspray, the mr clean magic marker, nail polish remover, rubbing alcohol and nothing seems to work, don't know how to get the rest of the ink off and my mom is really really mad, so what can I do?
          (07/26/2008)

By

RE: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

I did the bleached towels first but had to follow up with finger nail polish remover. Used 2 8oz bottles and some elbow grease

Thanks to everyone who posted help. (07/26/2008)

By DAB

RE: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

Thanks for the tip. I used the bleach soaked towel trick and it really worked. I was amazed. Thank you. My dryer was only 6 months old. (07/29/2008)

By

RE: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

Prepare to be amazed!

Though there are probably different inks with different properties, my dryer (wife's dryer) was very stubborn.
          I tried a multitude of suggestions on small spots:

WD-40
          Acetone
          Neutral Cleaner
          Industrial Degrease
          Simple Green
          The Eraser
          Rubbing Alcohol
          Fantastic
          Greased Lightning
          Lighter Fluid

and found TWO products that actually had any real level of success. Yes, I did preheat the dryer before attempting any of these items.

Soft Scrubb with bleach actually removed ink and left the porcelain white with plenty of scrubbing

But... hold on to your bootstraps Betty, the winner is...

You ain't gonna believe this.. Drum roll please...

OFF! Skintastic Family unscented OFF! Mosquito spray OFF! The one with the orange pump sprayer on top!
          You won't believe your eyes. It dissolved the THICKER splotches of ink ten times quicker than cheap mascara would in a thunderstorm watching your favorite tear jerker...old yeller.. One pump of the sprayer and the ink runs off lickety schplit with no effort.

Words of Caution here folks, it probably is NOT HEALTHY to be breathing this for an extended period. Wear a mask and have Plenty of Ventilation.

Again, this is what worked on OUR dryer with OUR ink stain. It seems that there are no two alike.You may need to finish up with Soft Scrub... and have a drink or two (08/02/2008)

By Steve Foss

RE: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

Off bug spray really does work! Wow! (08/05/2008)

By

RE: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

After many failed tries, soft scrub, gojo, and rubbing alcohol, I finally use a acetone base nail polish remover. Just pre-heat dryer for about 5 to 10 mins and get to work. So far so good. Thanks for the advice. (08/06/2008)

By Scarlett

RE: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

My wife took my pants out of the closet, not the floor or a laundry hamper, but the closet, put them in the washer and then the dryer. "You left a pen in your pants and now the dryer is ruined," she claimed, assigning the blame squarely upon my shoulders. Scrubbing with various products proved futile. When we came upon this website and tried the bleach soaked towels we both let out a sigh of relief. The great majority of stains had been vanquished. (08/09/2008)

By Mike

RE: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

My girl friends mom just bought a new dryer and one of my work pen was just washed in it. what a mess! I really have tried everything and acetone was the only thing to remove all of the ink pen. Now it looks just the same as it was. (08/09/2008)

By justin

RE: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

Will this work for pen that has been 'cooked' into the dryer? I just took possession of my house back from renters and the dryer is covered in pen. They won't divulge how long it has been covered in pen for. I really appreciate your help! (08/11/2008)

By

RE: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes. I had an ink pen explode in my dryer and get cooked into the drum. I used OFF Mosquito Spray and it literally dissolved and ran on contact. A little wiping and my dryer looks like new! WooHOO! (08/12/2008)

By Kevin

RE: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

I tried the Off that Kevin suggested and it worked fabulously on the stainless steel drum. Although now that I've seen it remove ink so easily I won't be able to spray it on my kids again! It did not work on the plastic surrounding the drum, it dissovled the ink but also the plastic so now that is one huge smeared mess and will need another solution. (08/17/2008)

By Dana

RE: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

We tried:

(poor results)
          1. baby wipes
          2. lysol wipes
          3. vodka (had no rubbing alcohol

(fair results)
          <br.4. nail polish remover
          <br.5. spray nine
          <br.6. rubbing alcohol
          7. magic eraser

(good results)
          8. Easy-Off oven cleaner
          The spray 9, rubbing alcohol and nail polish remover worked a little but you really had to work up a sweat to get anywhere. Easy off was a bit easier but the

WINNER IS...

8. OFF Skintastic Family spray. WOW! IT makes me feel weird that I spray this stuff on my family. The ink ran off super-duper easy. Spray and wipe. About as easy as washing your windows with windex. You need a fan for the fumes though. (08/17/2008)

By Janice

RE: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

A really big thank you goes out to whoever posted the Off mosquito repellent to remove ink in the dryer. I tried the bleached soaked towels and it helped lighten up the ink but did not completely remove it. So then I thought I would just try the Off Mosquito Repellent and I was amazed at how fast the ink just dripped away! Awesome. Thank You! (08/18/2008)

By Melinda

RE: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

I tried the Simple Green and I tried the Off! Family bug spray (though mine has a pink cap, not orange). The Simple Green didn't work at all. The bug spray, however started working on the stains immediately. I recommend that you focus on small areas at a time...don't try to spray the whole dryer and wipe it down. It didn't remove every stain completely, but it got the major parts at least. Our dryer has been stained blue for years from a pair of dark jeans so I was happy with what it did remove.

After cleaning it, the dryer (of course) smelled like bug spray so I unplugged it and opened the door to let it air out overnight. This morning, I did not detect the smell at all. (08/21/2008)

By Sarah

RE: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

I used 100% acetone to clean the ink out of my dryer it worked great. I would recommend using a fan to ventilate the area as the smell gets really strong. (08/22/2008)

By Suzanne.

RE: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

I DID IT. That's right I did it. I left a pen in my pant pocket. This site really helped me. What work for me was that mr clean eraser original in the blue box. That's what I started off with. I took off the big globs of ink in the drum. Then I used nail polish remover, and that worked too. It removed most of the stains but the drum was still messed up. So the last thing really worked. I soaked some rags with Clorox bleach and I ran the dryer for about 30 min..

It worked. It really worked that why I'm writing. So here it is in a nut shell 1. mr clean eraser 2. nail polish remover. Make sure you let it air out and wipe it down with a wet rag. Acetone is flammable 3. bleach rags and run the dryer for 30 min. My dryer is as good as new. Thanks guys! (08/23/2008)

By bob the guy who left the pen in his pant pocket

RE: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

OFF mosquito spray works the best! Spray it on, and it instantly makes the ink run of the dryer drum. Wipe up with paper towels and your done.

Word of caution: You should wear a painter respirator aka dust mask because the OFF is really strong and probably not good for your lungs. Also have a fan blowing near by. If you don't use a dust mask, be sure to hold your breath when spraying it. (08/23/2008)

By Charlie

RE: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

Tried the Off Skintastic and the majority of the ink just melted away! Now I'm trying the soaked towel with Javex 2. Not Clorex but I'll let you know if it works! (08/27/2008)

By

RE: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

I tried the Off Skintastic and it removed the majority of the ink stains. Now I'm trying the soaked towel with Javex 2. It's not regular bleach but I'll let you know if it works! (08/27/2008)

By Michelle

RE: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

OMG! I kinda skeptical about the OFF Spray, which worked pretty well to get the bigger, nastier stains out. I followed this by using Simply Green (which did nothing). AND FINALLY, the 3 towels soaked in bleach CLEANED EVERYTHING OUT! AMAZING! Had to come back to give DUE PROPS! (08/27/2008)

By jojo

RE: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

A jar of Cotton Balls + 1 bottle of Nail Polish Remover = Ink removed from the dryer.

I had put the clothes in the dryer the night before, so the ink had set and dried on the drum and on the clothes. It took me about ten minutes total to get all the ink out of the drum. I look in the dryer and see the dryer the way it was before last night. (08/30/2008)

By Kevin

RE: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

I should have used the bleach soaked towels first. I tried finger nail polish remover with slow progress, then alcohol with little progress then deep woods off with more progress finally I decided to stop with all the elbow grease and use 2 bleach soaked towels in the dryer after ten minutes almost all the stain are gone. Thanks for the idea. (09/06/2008)

By Happy

RE: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

We tried Off and it helped somewhat, but the bleach soaked towels did the trick. It took away all of the ink- (09/07/2008)

By Kathy

RE: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

I just had to post because I had a freak out today with an ink pen destroyed my dryer. Or so I thought! I soaked 3 towels in some heavy bleach water in my washer and lightly rung them out. Then I put them in my dryer for about 40 minutes and ALL WAS CLEAN! It was amazing and worked beautifully. I think it is cleaner than it started! Thanks for the advise all! (09/15/2008)

By dholi

Archive: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

How do you remove pen ink from your clothes dryer? Hubby said it will not hurt anything else as it is baked on, but I am afraid it will. Thanks.

Joanna from Cookeville

Answers:

RE: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

(Submitted by email)

Magic Eraser and nail polish remover worked great!

Lois (03/07/2009)

By Sally_Admin

RE: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

Please make sure that if you use anything flammable to get the ink out, you clean the dryer well with soap and warm water to remove the flammable cleaner. (03/13/2009)

By Scooter 2

Archive: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

I need help removing ink from a dryer. I give high marks for the suggestion of nail polish remover and Mr Clean eraser pad. This combination with a little elbow grease is a winner! Thanks!

Source: Right form this site thanks!

By Dan from CT

Answers:

You can also use hairspray to remove most ink stains. Spray some onto a soft cloth or sponge and rub the stain away. About the same results as perfume, but without altering the smell of your dryer! (03/18/2008)

By Trisch

Thank you. I had a pen burst in my dryer. I first used a raspberry body spray and it took most of the ink out. I then used nail polish remover and its almost all gone. Your tips were wonderful. Be careful of fumes. (03/21/2008)

By s skaflestad

I spent several hours trying many different things before coming here. The perfume worked great. My Hubby wont like that his clothes smell like White Diamonds but hey after all it was his pen. My kids might mind though. I do suggest airing it out to help with the smell. I now have a headache. (04/17/2008)

By Amy

The same thing just happened to me! I left an ink pen in the wash then dried it. After reading some of the feedback I used a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser dipped in non-acetone fingernail polish and it worked great! I didn't think I'd ever get all that ink out but the combination of the Eraser and nail polish remover took the ink right off! I had the whole thing clean in less than an hour! Don't forget to unplug your dryer and stay away from other things that could ignite the fumes from the polish and use in a well ventilated area. (09/05/2008)

By Ramfire

The Magic Eraser and nail polish remover worked wonders! Thank you for the hint as my dryer is almost back to normal. My son however, is not back to normal at this time! (09/07/2008)

By Holly

OMG is right! The Off spray worked beyond belief. Off family bug spray removed the bulk of the ink from my dryer. I then soaked white cleaning towels in bleach and water and placed them in the dryer on high and my dryer is completely white again. I had tried Oxyclean, Clorox clean-up and nail polish remover and none of them worked like the Off spray. Thank you for the help! (09/13/2008)

By Mary Olsen

RE: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

I tried the bleach soaked towels which worked WONDERFULLY! What the bleach did not remove I was able to remove with OFF! and Magic Eraser. Thank you, thank you! My dryer is brand new and I didn't believe the ink would ever come out! Gotta to love your kids. (09/28/2008)

By

RE: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

Ok, I tried everything listed here, only the white towels with bleach seem to help somewhat. I tried all the products nothing help. The bug spray made the ink run and stain more. I have a porcelain tub, not plastic. I then looked under my sink and found DEP foaming glass cleaner from Home Depot. This is what worked for me. Have a 3M sponge with the green side for scrubbing. Good luck to all. Keep the windows open. (09/28/2008)

By Kathy

RE: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

I used the bleach soaked towels for 30 minutes and it got the ink out no problem! Thanks you! (10/06/2008)

By CD

RE: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

I was skeptical but gave these hints a try. The bleach-soaked towels didn't do a thing, but the Magic Eraser and nail polish remover (after heating up the dryer for about 10 minutes) was AMAZING! It came right off. That was the easiest part of cleaning up after my husband left a pen in his pocket. If only the ink came out of the bedsheets, pillow cases, and his dress pants as well. (10/11/2008)

By Bridget B.

RE: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

A scouring pad and rubbing alcohol seemed to work the best for me. (10/24/2008)

By Dave

RE: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

Nail polish remover works great. I tried Goo Be Gone, Lighter fluid, elbow grease, etc. The nail polish took it out without scrubbing. Thank you! (10/29/2008)

By Linda H

RE: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

I've tried everything that is listed, hairspray, booze, bleach, Magic Eraser, Kaboom Cleaner, Castrol Superclean. and the list goes on & on & on. The only thing that worked for me was the Acetone from a hardware store (cheap). Nail Polish Remover, at beauty saloon, not so cheap $$ (but the same stuff). Use small bits of rags or cotton pads for doing nails or cottons balls. change every couple of spots. GOOD LUCK, Dennis B. (10/29/2008)

By Dennis

RE: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

When I woke up and saw the dryer covered in ink I panicked. However, a little searching, and after trying a magic eraser alone, then goo gone (it worked last time, but I heard the pen the last time before the dryer started getting too hot), 409, etc, I tried the Nail Polish remover and magic eraser. It worked. 10 minutes, little scrubbing. I'm slightly dizzy, but people who know me might say that all the time. $.59 for a bottle of nail polish remover vs. divorce? I'll take it! (11/03/2008)

By Mike M.

Archive: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

How do I get blue ink out off the walls of a clothes dryer?

Robin from Thousand Oaks, CA

Answers:

RE: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

You can try finger nail polish remover, the kind NOT made for artificial nails, it has Ketone in it. They say that hairspray will also work, but I think that's because of the alcohol in it. I've also read that Tea Tree oil will remove ball point ink.

Some years back the cleaning pros came to our house to clean up a recliner chair my boyfriend had bought a 2 year guarantee on. His son had drawn all over it with a ball point pen and it was a mess! They quickly and easily got every single bit of the ball point ink out while I watched. I asked them what they used and they showed me a bottle of professional ink cleaner. I bet you could buy some of it on the internet!

But remember there are all types of ink, some alcohol based and some pigment or oil based. You didn't tell us exactly what kind of ink you have in your dryer. Is it from a pen or did one of the kids throw in a old printer ink cartridge? Grin. (11/08/2008)

By Cyinda

RE: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

Without a doubt the magic eraser and the non-acetone nail polish remover worked instantly. Make sure to run the dryer for a few minutes first to heat it up. Thanks for the advice and website! (11/09/2008)

By Aaron

RE: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

(submitted via email)

Off Family Care with Skintastic! I know it sounds weird but the ink just starts running. I tried everything!

• Goo gone,
          • acetone
          • bleach
          • mommy's helper stain remover
          • bleach soaked towels
          • dawn foam and a scrubber

Nothing worked! But the Off took it off almost completely. Don't use a towel, use paper towels.
          Jessica (11/10/2008)

By jess_admin

RE: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

I use hairpray and a papertowel. But I have also used alcohol. Good Luck! (11/13/2008)

RE: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

I recommend the towel method by far over any of the other tips offered. I drenched 2 towels in bleach and some hot water but not as much as I did bleach. I put them in the dryer and let it run. My predicament was far worse since I had 2 not just 1 ink pen explode in my dryer. Big blotches of ink all over the drum of my Cabrio dryer. I trusted my son who said he had cleaned out the pockets to all of his dirty clothes. I have been a mother for over 26 years so you think I would have learned by now but I haven't.

It was a giant mess and I was going crazy since my dryer is barely 1 1/2 years old. Now I know why I don't trust my son to wash his own clothes. I used the Off method also but it didn't get the big globs of ink off very well and it smeared the ink when it came to trying to clean the big globs up. The smell was awful. The towel method was far easier and with perfect results. Martha Stewart would be proud of me. You can believe my son and I will be having a discussion about leaving pens from work in his pockets again. A bottle of bleach is also far cheaper then the Off. (11/23/2008)

By Lori T.

RE: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

Paint Remover!

That is the answer. At least for a normal ball point pen. After trying 4 of the above suggestions, my boyfriend, whose Cargo shorts were also the culprit figured it out.

Remember: paint remover, not paint thinner. You can get it at Ace Hardware. (12/07/2008)

By rhondaar

RE: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

I used OOPS Water Based it worked great you can find it at any hardware store its also made by the same company as Goo Gone. (01/31/2009)

By Ann

RE: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

Alright, I found the easiest way to get the ink removed. Just use Shout Ultra Gel, with the cleaning brush. This works effectively and effortlessly. Just scrub the area a little and then it lifts the ink right out. After that run a sponge or hand towel and it comes right off. (02/02/2009)

By Richi

RE: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

I used the Avon Skin So Soft with sunscreen to remove the ink from my dryer. It worked perfectly. No smudges no stains. Thanks for the recommendations. (02/08/2009)

By Chris

RE: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

I found something new that hasn't been mentioned yet. The hand cleaner called Fast Orange. It is abrasive, and you will need to scrub, but it will smell like oranges. (02/24/2009)

By Jim

RE: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

I left a blue ink pen in my coat. My friend washed my coat without checking the pockets. So now we have blue ink everywhere in the dryer. I used fine steel wool to clean the ink out it took some scrubbing but worked very well and you did not have to worry about a fire from using flammable liquids. (02/25/2009)

By James D.

Archive: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

Is it safe to use alcohol in your dryer to get pen ink stains out?

Kristen from Winston Salem, NC

Feedback:

RE: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

I was told by the Maytag repair man to get ink stains off the inside of the dryer only to use Aqua Net hairspray. Spray it on a cloth and rub the stain. It works life a charm and doesn't harm the finish at all. It also doesn't leave any vapors that could cause a fire as well. (03/24/2009)

By bina2j

RE: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

(Submitted via email)

I tried a few of the suggested ideas, they worked a little bit. Did not like the fumes. I went to the hardware store and got Motsenbocker's Lift Off 3/Graffiti remover. It cut the ink in half, then we used Barkeeper's Friend. With some rubbing it came off. I was amazed. Then I got an old towel, wet it and ran it through the dryer. The best thing is they are water-based and biodegradable. Cathy S (04/02/2009)

By Sally_Admin

RE: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

The towels soaked in bleach worked pretty well. I had to run it through quite a few times (I'd say like about 8 times) and it got off the majority except for the bigger splotches. I tried the Magic Eraser and that didn't do a thing. I'm thinking that might work better if you get to the stain sooner than later. I'm working on an incident that happened a week ago. I'm going to try a few more things and will let you know. My dryer by the way is a Whirlpool Spot Duet. (05/29/2009)

By nckwantum

RE: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

Used a product called GOOF OFF, it's similar to paint remover. I put some on a paper towel and rubbed ink spots off the inside of my white dryer drum (there were hundreds of ink spots from a pen in dryer). Gives off wicked fumes but worked great. Open windows or use fan for fresh air. (06/10/2009)

By buffalotom

RE: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

Thanks! I began to use some oxyclean for rugs in the green bottle, along with a nylon scrubby. The dark spot spread and I was afraid I was rubbing off the surface of the dryer drum. I did use a Mr. Clean Eraser, and VOILA! The ink disappeared, as well as what I thought was the finish coming off. I finished up the job with a little alcohol, just to get the job done, (perfume). (06/19/2009)

By remnjava

RE: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

I immediately went to the appliance section of my local "box" store and asked their advice. Goof Off and Hairspray were the two recommendations. Problem: Goof Off will eat away at plastic and Hairspray - actually the aerosol - removes the stains, slowly and with a lot of muscle and time. What worked perfectly is automotive bug and tar cleaner. It made the stains run like you wouldn't believe. Wipe down the drum with an old rag and the automotive cleaner, then re-clean with strong household detergent and run the dryer to air it out. Be sure to use ventilation to not breathe in the fumes while cleaning. As for the clothes, donate them to the rag pile and invest in a newer wardrobe. You'll never get the ink marks out after the high temperature of the dryer has set the stain into the fibers. (06/19/2009)

By jeeper3031

RE: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

Thank you to everyone for your ideas. We were able to remove ink in it's entirety from our dryer by using Off! insect repellent, followed by Soft Scrub with bleach, and then by drying very wet, bleach-soaked white towels. You can't tell that we ever had an accident. Just to be on the safe side, I had my husband disconnect the dryer from the gas and the electricity and move it out to the driveway so that the fumes had a place to air and so that we didn't blow up our house. I will use this trick, again, if the need arises but I hope it won't. (06/25/2009)

By ORNurseinCali

Archive: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

How do I get ink out of a dryer?

By parkinargus

Feedback:

RE: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

Rubbing alcohol or fingernail polish remover. Be sure it's totally dry and gone before you turn the dryer on. (06/26/2009)

By Cyinda

RE: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

This just happened to me. I used a Magic Eraser and it got about 50 smudgy ink spots out of my dryer within minutes. Saved me much time and grief. (07/14/2009)

By moorefish1

RE: Cleaning Ink Out of a Dryer

This just happened to me with a brand new dryer. I tired everything, and this is truly what worked the best:

First unplug the dryer.

1. Use acetone (nail polish remover) and scrub the ink spots as much as possible, changing the cloth or rag regularly. This will take a lot of it off. But be careful of the harmful fumes, try not to breath any of it in.

2. Rinse the dryer drum very, very well with water because the acetone is flammable. Do this by taking water in a bottle and pour it into the dryer, and spin the drum around manually, so that the entire drum gets soaked in the water. Then wipe it down thoroughly and soak up all the water. Repeat a couple times to make sure that all the acetone has been wiped off. Make sure everywhere is rinsed very well.

3. Soak 4 or 5 large towels in bleach and water (more bleach than water), throw them into the dryer, and run on high. Repeat this step if necessary. The towels will absorb all the rest of the ink.

My dryer looks brand new again. (07/23/2009)

By Mikey7264

Home and Garden Cleaning AppliancesFebruary 29, 2012
          ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
          A Sharpie marker with its lid off.
          Removing Permanent Ink (Sharpie) from a CD or DVD
          A newspaper on a wood table.
          Removing Newspaper Ink from Wood Furniture
          An ink pen in a blue leather purse.
          Removing Ink from Leather
          © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 12:42:22 PM on 10.0.1.203 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesSolutionsQuestionsArchives
          NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
          Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
          BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
          CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings