Remedies for Worms in Cats

Cat owners sometimes look for remedies for worms other than a trip to the vet. This is a guide about remedies for worms in cats.

cat
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

Would a tape worm make a cat get fatter?

By Pauly from MI

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Your cat can have any of a number of worm parasites, including tapeworm, and worms can make a cat's abdominal area larger or "pot bellied". Please take your cat to your vet to identify the problem and provide treatment. Note that there are "worm treatments" you can buy at pet stores, however, if you do not know the specific type of worm, you cannot provide the correct treatment. Please do not wait to take your cat to your vet to help him or her feel much better.

How do I treat feline worms, round worms and string looking worms? I need a home remedy or good cheap med to fix this problem. It also has to be something that tastes good to the cat.

By Audrey

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

There are many different worms your cat can have. Some you can see, some you can't. If you buy the wormer at the pet store it gets certain types of worms. It is less effective than what you get from the Vet. It can have side effects for the cat. The stringy worms you are talking about are round worms. I really recommend you take your cat to the Vet and get the job done right.

I have a male cat Max. He likes to go out and catch rodents. I do not let him out willingly. He has a brother and sister that live in the same house, and he is constantly crying at me for food. I don't know if he may have worms, but he has visited the vet before for this. I have researched that, and maybe he just wants attention. Was wondering if anyone had any suggestions? Thank you.

By Michelle

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have a 21 year old cat that was always crying for food, took her to the vet and it's an issue with her thyroid. Please see your vet for a complete check up and make sure they check your kitty's thyroid, it can be easily controlled with meds.

Read More Answers...

My cat goes outdoors daily, and usually returns with a crusty white thing attached to the fur in the thigh region. He is a bit thinner than any neutered cat I've seen before, thought maybe because he's so active. Today I pulled a live tapeworm off of him. It was moist and squirming, but again, not near the anus. He has no fleas or other visible parasites. He eats mice and only God knows what else outside. Could he just have come into contact with a live parasite and would it just be a wasted vet trip? Or should he get checked out? I'm just at a loss because they aren't in his stool, nor are they around the anus, just caught in the fur on his backside.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Yes, the worms are coming from your cat. They can move on their own. They are attempting to infect another host.

Read More Answers...

Closeup of kitten.I just found round worms on my kitten's butt. How do I get rid of them? I don't have the money to take her to the vet. It has to be able to be given to a 13 week old kitten.

By Liz B.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have been reading about apple cider vinegar an it's benefits to cats. A little, 1 tsp to large water bowl, will help get rid of parasites, worms, in cats and dogs and help repel fleas over time. If they don't like taste in water you can add to food. This will only help for roundworms not tapeworms. Tapeworms can only be rid of by medication which you can get on Amazon on Sterms and Foster- 2 good affordable sites.

Read More Answers...

It was a roundworm, or a chunk of roundworm, still wriggling. I know they are or can be contagious, but is there any way we can treat at home? There's just no chance in heck we could afford treatment for all 6 through a vet. Just a standard check up with 2 shots cost us 150$ for one cat. We adopted a stray and took her in. She surprised us with 5 kittens almost exactly 2 months after we brought her in. Would food grade diatomaceous earth and cider vinegar help this?

cat and kittens
      AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Unfortunately, if one of the kitties has some type of worms, the others have or will have the same problem. Please take your kitties to your vet now for help deworming. Perhaps all the kitties can be treated for a lower fee? Waiting will only make the problem worse and your kitties sicker. Diatomaceous earth and cider vinegar are not effective against any type of worms.

I bought an over the counter med for deworming my cats. I gave it to them four days ago and now they seem really sick and I haven't seen any results in their stool. How long does it take and can they live long happy lives with worms?

By Mon

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
      Best Answer

Some over the counter wormers are rough on cats. Be especially careful with kittens. Find a Vet for a wormer that works and doesn't make your cat sick. Cats can tolerate some worms, but it depends on what kind they are and how old the cat is and how many they are. Check you local shelter for low cost Vet care. I am sure they will help you.

I just pulled out a white worm from my cat's anus. I don't have money to take him to the vet. What should I do for him? How do I treat it?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Please take your cat to your vet now to identify the type of worm and provide the correct treatment. Delaying treatment will only make the condition worse and your cat will continue to suffer. There are several worms that can infect a cat and each requires a specific medical treatment. The information from the helpful WebMD site below provides additional information:

http://pets.webmd.com/cats/worms-ca ... nfection-intestinal-parasites?page=2

My daughter has an 18 year old cat (Princess) that has been troubled with tape worms. She bought some of the diatomaceous earth and has been mixing this in her food for about 2 weeks. She says there are live worms in Princess's stool and I wondered if anyone can tell us how long it may take to rid her of these worms.

By cyber from Ocala, FL

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

[Often, one may notice fragments from tapeworms in a cat's stool. This isn't necessarily a sign that anything is killing the worms since this happens anyway as a tapeworm grows and produces eggs (which are inside the tapeworm segments that break off and pass into the stool.)]

Read More Answers...

I found my kitten vomiting, and there were tapeworms in it. He is just 3 months old. What medicine should give him? I would be very grateful if you have a suggestion.

By R. Zaman

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Since you posted this question, I'm going to assume you can't afford to go to a vet. Call the closest SPCA and see if there are any free or low priced clinics in your area. Check with animal control in your area. Somewhere you will get free answers to your question. Make those calls today. This is serious.

Read More Answers...

What is the medication that I can buy for cats that have tapeworms, if I can not afford a vet?

By Jackie

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Hi took in a litter of Kittens - 20.00 plus tax for deworming 6 this is for Round Worm 2nd dose is included, syringe fed.

Tapeworm - 20.00 plus tax per pill per tablet. You cannot buy anything over the counter from pet stores, grocery stores for tape worm. BUT Clays are used by many ferral rescues (online)also as preventative good for dogs humans as well. Clays are Natural, inexpensive. Vets will not recommend anything holistic for pets, unless holistic vet, plus you would need to cover vet exam per kitten. Prefer clay usage for non adult cats. *Only use food grade* Reminder if you have a regular feline vet you can purchase up to 4 to 6 deworming tablets per year.

Read More Answers...

I have a 4 yr old Maine Coon Tabby mix, Jayden. I think he may have tapeworms, but I am not sure though. He's losing hair and has kinda bloody patches where he is itching like crazy. I have tried Lamisil and over the counter tape worm meds and nothing seems to work. It started to go away a little and he was starting to grow hair back, but that didn't last long. He's eating good, but not gaining too much weight. My dog Chyna is not having any type of problems. I am at my wits end and don't have the money for a vet. I give him baths every other day or try to with Dawn dish soap.

By Leslie

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You should stop washing your cat with Dawn. It is very drying. Used once it is not too bad, but used many times can cause problems. If fleas are really the problem you can use topical products from a pet store. They are the only way to stop the flea cycle.

The products from the Vet are better. Be sure to never use a flea product meant for dogs on your cat. It can be fatal. When you use Lamisil on your cat, the cat can lick it off.

Eating lamisil is not good for your cat. You may need to see a Vet to solve the skin problem. Don't bathe the cat too often, and when you do, get a good pet shampoo. The skin lesions may be a bacterial or fungal infection or both. It can be hard to get rid of, but Vets have the right products for it. Good luck.

Read More Answers...

Can I use diatomaceous earth in my cat's wet food for fleas, she has tape worms.

By Dawn

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

It won't work. Diatomaceous earth works on insects with a hard outer shell by scraping away the shell and causing the insect to dry out and die. This can't apply to a soft bodied tapeworm living in the fluid filled interior of the intestine. You need to get tapeworm medicine from a vet. It is a special formula and is not sold over the counter in pet stores. However, tapeworms generally will not harm the cat so if you can't afford the vet and can get over the "disgust" factor, you might just decide to let the cat live with the tapeworm.

Read More Answers...

What is truly the best effective treatment for cats with little mealy worms that is not too expensive and works really fast? I am unable to afford vet at this time and am on a set income. Thank you.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If you do not know exactly what type of worm your cat has, no one can suggest a reliable treatment. Please take your cat to your vet immediately for a diagnosis and treatment that will cure the problem and help your cat feel much better. You have chosen to provide responsible care for your cat and that includes any medical problems that occur. Please help your cat.

My cat has tape worms. What home remedy can I use?

By Aaliyah

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Hello,

I am a retired Veterinary Manager and I would recommend you take a stool sample to your Vet's office and have them determine which worms your cat has.(there could be other types) The only medication you can get to rid her of the tapeworms is a prescription from your Vet. The name of the medication is Drontal. There is not a home remedy or over the counter medication you can buy. If your cat has tapeworms, she has fleas. Please use a topical flea product (like Advantage) on her every month.

Good luck with your fur baby.

Read More Answers...

If you decide to get a new kitten, either now or in the near future, please make sure you have the new baby dewormed.

I have just added another new one to the menagerie and was going a little crazy as she was determined that she had to be fed every time someone went near the refrigerator. When I phoned the vet, they suggested she be dewormed. The medicine is not expensive, it cost me $7.07 (cdn) and there is enough there to deworm 10 kittens! (an added bonus is that a free syringe is supplied and whatever is in this stuff the kitten seemed to think it tasted wonderful!)

By Cinnamon from Williams Lake, BC

CommentMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have a female feral cat that has tapeworms. I was told that I can't give anything since she is feeding 6 kitties, 4 weeks old. Is there anything I can do to get rid of the worms? Can the cat transmit the worms to the kitties?

By Marcela from Queen NY

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Two words. Diatomaceous Earth (food-grade)

OK, four words.

This stuff will absolutely kill every (bad) worm in

your mama kitty and will "not" harm the little ones

either.

Food-grade diatomaceous earth is one thing that

every SPCA, cat or dog rescue should be telling

everyone about. Just make sure it is "food grade"

and not the stuff used in swimming pools.

Sprinkle it all over the mother kitty, and rub it

in very well. (The little kitties will even get some

of this as they nurse). Sprinkle the DE over mother

kitty's food (about a half-teaspoonful every day).

Take care that you don't allow the dust to be

inhaled too much. Be sure to rub and brush it

into mother kitty's fur really well.

This DE will also take care of any fleas.

It is available online if you have trouble finding

it in your local pet stores. It should be way more

available than it is IMHO. It isn't all that expensive

either which probably explains the unavailability.

The best of luck to you with this problem.

Julia in Boca Raton, FL

Read More Answers...
          Load More
          Pets HealthFebruary 27, 2013
          Worm in the Lawn
          Getting Rid of Worms in the Lawn
          growing tomatoes
          Worms Eating Tomatoes
          A worm on pavement.
          Getting Rid of Worms On Your Driveway
          A veterinarian holding a dog.
          Remedies for Worms in Dogs
          © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 3, 2016 at 9:03:18 PM on 10.0.1.182 in 337 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.