Remedies for Worms in Cats

Cat owners sometimes look for remedies for worms other than a trip to the vet. This is a guide about remedies for worms in cats.

July 31, 2016 Flag

Does anyone know a home remedy for worms in cats/dogs?

Best Answer

I use this product for my cats and my kittens. It works on worms, parasites and fleas. It's called Diatomaceous Earth (D.E.). There are two types of D.E., pool grade and food grade. Food grade is the one you want. You can also used it on yourself. It kills any parasites that you may have. It is a natural product. You can use it on kittens to get rid of fleas. I put a 1/2 tsp. in their cat food and in the kitten's bottles. I sprinkled the D.E. on all my carpets, left it on for three hours. Then I vacuumed it up and got rid of the contents right away. I took a pair of panty hose and cut the leg off and filled it with D.E. Tie a knot and use it to powder your cats and kittens. Please put a paper towel over their face so they do not breathe it in. That goes for you too, it is not good to breathe it in. You can also use this product for roaches, ants, and any other bugs that have a hard shell. You can use it in your garden. It will not kill earthworms because they do not have a hard shell. I found it on Amazon. Make sure that the D.E. that you get is <b>Food Grade</b>. Good luck!

Best Answer

February 16, 2015 Flag

How do I treat feline worms, round worms and string looking worms? I need a home remedy or good cheap med to fix this problem. It also has to be something that tastes good to the cat.

By Audrey

Best Answer

There are many different worms your cat can have. Some you can see, some you can't. If you buy the wormer at the pet store it gets certain types of worms. It is less effective than what you get from the Vet. It can have side effects for the cat. The stringy worms you are talking about are round worms. I really recommend you take your cat to the Vet and get the job done right.

March 24, 2015 Flag

Would a tape worm make a cat get fatter?

By Pauly from MI

Best Answer

Your cat can have any of a number of worm parasites, including tapeworm, and worms can make a cat's abdominal area larger or "pot bellied". Please take your cat to your vet to identify the problem and provide treatment. Note that there are "worm treatments" you can buy at pet stores, however, if you do not know the specific type of worm, you cannot provide the correct treatment. Please do not wait to take your cat to your vet to help him or her feel much better.

September 28, 2007 Flag

If you decide to get a new kitten, either now or in the near future, please make sure you have the new baby dewormed.

I have just added another new one to the menagerie and was going a little crazy as she was determined that she had to be fed every time someone went near the refrigerator. When I phoned the vet, they suggested she be dewormed. The medicine is not expensive, it cost me $7.07 (cdn) and there is enough there to deworm 10 kittens! (an added bonus is that a free syringe is supplied and whatever is in this stuff the kitten seemed to think it tasted wonderful!)

By Cinnamon from Williams Lake, BC

There are different type of de-wormers out there for cats/kittens and the prices vary. It is better to take a fecal sample to your vet to test to see what sort of worms you need to treat.

February 21, 2014 Flag

I bought an over the counter med for deworming my cats. I gave it to them four days ago and now they seem really sick and I haven't seen any results in their stool. How long does it take and can they live long happy lives with worms?

By Mon

Best Answer

Some over the counter wormers are rough on cats. Be especially careful with kittens. Find a Vet for a wormer that works and doesn't make your cat sick. Cats can tolerate some worms, but it depends on what kind they are and how old the cat is and how many they are. Check you local shelter for low cost Vet care. I am sure they will help you.

November 11, 2013 Flag

I just found round worms on my kitten's butt. How do I get rid of them? I don't have the money to take her to the vet. It has to be able to be given to a 13 week old kitten.

By Liz B.

Garlic is toxic to cats. NEVER GIVE A CAT GARLIC!

October 14, 2015 Flag

I just pulled out a white worm from my cat's anus. I don't have money to take him to the vet. What should I do for him? How do I treat it?

Buy a multi dewormer at the store. This IS something you can treat at home WITHOUT paying a vet.

February 8, 2015 Flag

I have a male cat Max. He likes to go out and catch rodents. I do not let him out willingly. He has a brother and sister that live in the same house, and he is constantly crying at me for food. I don't know if he may have worms, but he has visited the vet before for this. I have researched that, and maybe he just wants attention. Was wondering if anyone had any suggestions? Thank you.

By Michelle

No, it can't be easily controlled with meds. Our cat died. If they don't have the surgery, which is $1,000+, your cat will die.

May 15, 2013 Flag

What is the medication that I can buy for cats that have tapeworms, if I can not afford a vet?

By Jackie

I use FOOD GRADE diatomaceous earth for treating my cats for TAPEWORMS. IT IS ALL NATURAL AND WILL NOT HARM ANIMALS. There are alot of sites that sell it but I get mine from Tractor and Supplies. I bought a 20lbs bag for 10 bucks. Cats 7-13 lbs 1 teaspoon daily. Also has other nutritional and dietary benefits. You should take a look at this product. Its all natural derived from ground sea shells. Only buy FOOD GRADE DIATOMACEOUS EARTH! There are other types that are harmful to pets and humans. I was buying chemical meds for the tapeworms but constantly worried about the effects on my cats.

Hope this helps!

January 25, 2015 Flag

I have a 4 yr old Maine Coon Tabby mix, Jayden. I think he may have tapeworms, but I am not sure though. He's losing hair and has kinda bloody patches where he is itching like crazy. I have tried Lamisil and over the counter tape worm meds and nothing seems to work. It started to go away a little and he was starting to grow hair back, but that didn't last long. He's eating good, but not gaining too much weight. My dog Chyna is not having any type of problems. I am at my wits end and don't have the money for a vet. I give him baths every other day or try to with Dawn dish soap.

By Leslie

Stop washing your cat. Cats are fastidious groomers and washing them can remove natural oils and leave a residue no matter how well you rinse them that can sicken your cat. The scratching and hair loss is more likely from you washing him than the worms, which need to be treated by a vet.

March 27, 2013 Flag

My cat has tape worms. What home remedy can I use?

By Aaliyah

my cat has tapeworms but no fleas so your answer would be wrong

Load More
Pets HealthFebruary 27, 2013
Worm in the Lawn
Getting Rid of Worms in the Lawn
growing tomatoes
Worms Eating Tomatoes
A worm on pavement.
Getting Rid of Worms On Your Driveway
A veterinarian holding a dog.
Remedies for Worms in Dogs