Remedies for Worms in Cats

Category Health
cat
Cat owners sometimes look for remedies for worms other than a trip to the vet. This is a guide about remedies for worms in cats.

If you decide to get a new kitten, either now or in the near future, please make sure you have the new baby dewormed.

I have just added another new one to the menagerie and was going a little crazy as she was determined that she had to be fed every time someone went near the refrigerator. When I phoned the vet, they suggested she be dewormed. The medicine is not expensive, it cost me $7.07 (cdn) and there is enough there to deworm 10 kittens! (an added bonus is that a free syringe is supplied and whatever is in this stuff the kitten seemed to think it tasted wonderful!)

By Cinnamon from Williams Lake, BC

Read 3 Comments

This is a worming medicine that is designed for dogs. It kills all intestinal worms except for tapeworms. The taste is acceptable to all 11 of my cats and they put up little resistance to taking it. There are other pills and liquids available, but if they don't take it it will do them no good ;). Dose according to weight of animal.

Does anyone know a home remedy for worms in cats/dogs?

Answer Was this helpful? 4
Anonymous
Best Answer

Chop some carrots up just small to swallow the don't digest it it scrapes the worms and they through it up or use Punkin seeds

My daughter has an 18 year old cat (Princess) that has been troubled with tape worms. She bought some of the diatomaceous earth and has been mixing this in her food for about 2 weeks. She says there are live worms in Princess's stool and I wondered if anyone can tell us how long it may take to rid her of these worms.

By cyber from Ocala, FL

Answer Was this helpful? 1

From my research, tapeworms take the longest amount of time to be treated with diotamacious earth. Atleast 30 days is recommended.

I just found round worms on my kitten's butt. How do I get rid of them? I don't have the money to take her to the vet. It has to be able to be given to a 13 week old kitten.

By Liz B.

Answer Was this helpful? 1

No--your cat will suffer--no garlic--use a little Braggs (with the mother) only with warm water and baking soda in a spray bottle --the fleas will leave

How do I treat feline worms, round worms and string looking worms? I need a home remedy or good cheap med to fix this problem. It also has to be something that tastes good to the cat.

By Audrey

Best Answer

There are many different worms your cat can have. Some you can see, some you can't. If you buy the wormer at the pet store it gets certain types of worms. It is less effective than what you get from the Vet. It can have side effects for the cat. The stringy worms you are talking about are round worms. I really recommend you take your cat to the Vet and get the job done right.

I bought an over the counter med for deworming my cats. I gave it to them four days ago and now they seem really sick and I haven't seen any results in their stool. How long does it take and can they live long happy lives with worms?

By Mon

Best Answer

Some over the counter wormers are rough on cats. Be especially careful with kittens. Find a Vet for a wormer that works and doesn't make your cat sick. Cats can tolerate some worms, but it depends on what kind they are and how old the cat is and how many they are. Check you local shelter for low cost Vet care. I am sure they will help you.

What is the medication that I can buy for cats that have tapeworms, if I can not afford a vet?

By Jackie

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Pyrdental

Would a tape worm make a cat get fatter?

By Pauly from MI

Best Answer

Your cat can have any of a number of worm parasites, including tapeworm, and worms can make a cat's abdominal area larger or "pot bellied". Please take your cat to your vet to identify the problem and provide treatment. Note that there are "worm treatments" you can buy at pet stores, however, if you do not know the specific type of worm, you cannot provide the correct treatment. Please do not wait to take your cat to your vet to help him or her feel much better.

My cat has tape worms. What home remedy can I use?

By Aaliyah

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Anonymous

Drontal can also be purchased on Amazon.

I have a female feral cat that has tapeworms. I was told that I can't give anything since she is feeding 6 kitties, 4 weeks old. Is there anything I can do to get rid of the worms? Can the cat transmit the worms to the kitties?

By Marcela from Queen NY

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Two words. Diatomaceous Earth (food-grade)

OK, four words.

This stuff will absolutely kill every (bad) worm in

your mama kitty and will "not" harm the little ones

either.

Food-grade diatomaceous earth is one thing that

every SPCA, cat or dog rescue should be telling

everyone about. Just make sure it is "food grade"

and not the stuff used in swimming pools.

Sprinkle it all over the mother kitty, and rub it

in very well. (The little kitties will even get some

of this as they nurse). Sprinkle the DE over mother

kitty's food (about a half-teaspoonful every day).

Take care that you don't allow the dust to be

inhaled too much. Be sure to rub and brush it

into mother kitty's fur really well.

This DE will also take care of any fleas.

It is available online if you have trouble finding

it in your local pet stores. It should be way more

available than it is IMHO. It isn't all that expensive

either which probably explains the unavailability.

The best of luck to you with this problem.

Julia in Boca Raton, FL

I have a male cat Max. He likes to go out and catch rodents. I do not let him out willingly. He has a brother and sister that live in the same house, and he is constantly crying at me for food. I don't know if he may have worms, but he has visited the vet before for this. I have researched that, and maybe he just wants attention. Was wondering if anyone had any suggestions? Thank you.

By Michelle

My girl had hyperthyroidism for about 11yrs. She got 2 pills a day and bloodwork every 6 months and her thyroid was controlled very well. I'm so sorry your baby died.

I have a 4 yr old Maine Coon Tabby mix, Jayden. I think he may have tapeworms, but I am not sure though. He's losing hair and has kinda bloody patches where he is itching like crazy. I have tried Lamisil and over the counter tape worm meds and nothing seems to work. It started to go away a little and he was starting to grow hair back, but that didn't last long. He's eating good, but not gaining too much weight. My dog Chyna is not having any type of problems. I am at my wits end and don't have the money for a vet. I give him baths every other day or try to with Dawn dish soap.

By Leslie

Dawn dish soap is awesome but it will dry out Ur pets skin and wash out oils Ur cats NEEDS in their fur

The soap if used to much can cause Ur cat to develop a sensitivity as well

I use dawn dish soap for flea'sbut always Rinse off the cat real well

I'm am running into a tapeworm problem BC my cats r very sensitive to vet worming meds and have ended up hospitalized with intestinal tract infections after 48hrs of taking the pill that the veterinarian prescribed

Any foods that maybe SAFE for cats but kill tapeworms. The de didn't work out for me in the past

I treated my cats and kittens for fleas and worms. One of the kittens has worms again and now they all have fleas again. I have put Advantage on them for 2 months now. Please someone help!

By Melody from Wilson, NY

You need Frontline Plus & it lasts approx. 16 wks. I think. It kills eggs also. Advantage only kills mature fleas, leaving the eggs to quickly grow into Matures. Cat quickly has fleas again. But careful, you must get Plus as only Frontline (the original) is same restricted efficacy as Advantage. Profender on neck is good topical Wormer, it kills tapeworms also, an All Wormer, or can't go wrong with Drontal. Supermarkets sell Wormers. Ingredients should be same as Drontal: Praziquantel & Pyrantel Embonate. If giving worm tab in food, cats like every bit dissolved in food. Try and give little bit by little bit. Or Vets will administer for you.

Are there any home remedies for the worms that look like "rice"? My cat had babies and now she has these thingies.

By Lori from Chilliwack, BC

It sounds like it may be pin worms, they can come out of the anus and lay eggs and you can some times see them when they come out, I would recommend apple cider vinegar. Put one tea spoon of it in their water or on there food everyday day that you change their food and water for up to 2 weeks at the max and see if that helps.

I found my kitten vomiting, and there were tapeworms in it. He is just 3 months old. What medicine should give him? I would be very grateful if you have a suggestion.

By R. Zaman

Anonymous

Tapeworms are on the intestines not the stomache.

Would D Wormer liquid wormer work on cats that have tapeworms? Can anther cat get sick from one who has the worms?

By Elaine from Providence, RI

Anonymous

How much do I use on a cat and how often?

I am 12 weeks pregnant and just found my cat (I have 3 "indoor" cats) throwing up a pile of "life" roundworms. I also have a 6 year old child. What do I need to do? I will take that cat to the vet and get him and the other 2 treated. I have isolated all the cats in different rooms. Now do I have to "wash" all my carpets and upholstery? I have a large house! Do I have to take my child to the doctor? Can they even test if she is infected? How long should I isolate the cats?

Thank you for any answers!

our baby kitten is 6 weeks old and she keeps throwing up stomach fluids but nothing else is in her vomit and theres nothing wrong with her stool..what do we do please write back asap

I just pulled out a white worm from my cat's anus. I don't have money to take him to the vet. What should I do for him? How do I treat it?

I use Nemex-2, it is the same stuff that the vet uses. it is highly palatable as it smells and tastes sweet, like vanilla. it is, however, listed as canine anthelmintic suspension liquid but it will not harm them. anyway, it treats ALL worms. Beware though, it IS expensive. its $15.99 before taxes in my city, and it can only be bought at a pharmacy or a feed and seed store. you may be able to order it online at petmeds.com, im unsure of that though. good luck to you!!!

ps, this came from experience with my 2 new kitties. theyre only a few weeks old and were highly infested with tapeworms. now i only see a couple here and there but with proper hygienic practice, that is kept to a minimum and they are disappearing....FOREVER

Can I use diatomaceous earth in my cat's wet food for fleas, she has tape worms.

By Dawn

It won't work. Diatomaceous earth works on insects with a hard outer shell by scraping away the shell and causing the insect to dry out and die. This can't apply to a soft bodied tapeworm living in the fluid filled interior of the intestine. You need to get tapeworm medicine from a vet. It is a special formula and is not sold over the counter in pet stores. However, tapeworms generally will not harm the cat so if you can't afford the vet and can get over the "disgust" factor, you might just decide to let the cat live with the tapeworm.

We have several barn cats who are friendly, but I noticed recently that they had worms coming out of their back side. Our dogs are up to date with shots and flea stuff. Can those worms affect humans/dogs? The cats are just barn cats that have shown up and decided we're suckers. We don't have that kinda money to treat them, too.

By Darcie from WI

Easy, inexpensive, dogs, cats, even us humans. Safe, natural, for all intestinal worms (won't work on heart worms) Food grade (garden grade had poisons that can kill) diatomaceous earth sprinkled on their food. 75% of humans have worms. Not any animals fault. I ordered by the gallon of powder. It was enough for years of everything I could get my hands on. I paid about $9. Can be used safely in your garden for bugs. Use for pets, livestock and yourself. Many benefits other than worm removal. WWW.earthworkshealth.com. No, I don't sell it or am i any part of earth works. Took a while and found this as pure and safe with good directions and reasonable.

My cat goes outdoors daily, and usually returns with a crusty white thing attached to the fur in the thigh region. He is a bit thinner than any neutered cat I've seen before, thought maybe because he's so active. Today I pulled a live tapeworm off of him. It was moist and squirming, but again, not near the anus. He has no fleas or other visible parasites. He eats mice and only God knows what else outside. Could he just have come into contact with a live parasite and would it just be a wasted vet trip? Or should he get checked out? I'm just at a loss because they aren't in his stool, nor are they around the anus, just caught in the fur on his backside.

Yes, the worms are coming from your cat. They can move on their own. They are attempting to infect another host.

I need to give my cat a dewormer. It says in the directions to put the dewormer on moist cat food. The problem is my cat will not eat moist cat food, he will only eat Meow mix dry cat food. He also will not eat human food, no milk, cheese, meats, nothing. So I'm at my wits end. Someone please help me to get my weird cat worm free without another vet bill.

By tlqcb6548

Not all cats will eat the pill pockets or they will fall for it once or twice. One way that was effective for me, was to disolve the pill in a small amount of water and syringe. Easiest way is to break the pill up, put in the syringe and a add little bit of water. (The more water you add the more you have to get kitty to taste/drink. And it doesn't taste good.) Insert to the side of the cats mouth. Slowly. Some cats start foaming to spit it back up since it doesn't taste good. Other way of course is to toss down kitties throat and hold mouth closed. Rubbing under their chin. That novelty has worn thin with my kitties. And they fight hard to not swallow the pill. I am mostly sticking with DE Food grade. But if kitty is infected, large amounts of worms around anus, hind legs, feces shows a lot of worms, dried rice like segments in kitties grooming/sleeping area, as much as I hate giving chemicals, it would be necessary for the initial treatment if this is what your kitty is experiencing.

I would like information on how to treat worms in 1 month old kitten?

By rubylark from Hamilton, NJ

What a precious wee baby.

It was a roundworm, or a chunk of roundworm, still wriggling. I know they are or can be contagious, but is there any way we can treat at home? There's just no chance in heck we could afford treatment for all 6 through a vet. Just a standard check up with 2 shots cost us 150$ for one cat. We adopted a stray and took her in. She surprised us with 5 kittens almost exactly 2 months after we brought her in. Would food grade diatomaceous earth and cider vinegar help this?

Anonymous

Why is DE food grade not effective for worms? There are many sites indicating that it is a natural effect way to treat worms. Also fleas. It's not fast acting but it works. Seems the only recommendation offered on this site is to take the pet to the vet. Not very helpful at all. I've taken my pets to the vet. Paid the outrageous bill in good faith that I was doing the right thing. However it's not the intentions of all vets to provide good service. It's about making money. And there are worm tabs available online with Amazon that will treat more than one worm. Which is the same as if going to the vet and considerably cheaper. And if one takes their pet to the vet for treatment of worms, consider that you will need a follow up visit. It takes more than one dose to complete the cycle. More money and more giving the pet chemicals. DE food grade is effective. You must be diligent and give to pet for every day. There are many informative sites that can explain proper use, dosage and length of time.

What is truly the best effective treatment for cats with little mealy worms that is not too expensive and works really fast? I am unable to afford vet at this time and am on a set income. Thank you.

Anonymous

I have the same problem and it seems everyone of these comments say "Take to the vet" I want a cheap remedy not take to the vet in every answer. I will try the apple vinegar in the water and food.. I find some answers here useful the other not so much do to vets are expensive and i prefer home remedies like mom did when we were sick. smh

I need to know about tapeworms in cats. How do I treat them?

Load More