Remedies for Worms in Cats

Cat owners sometimes look for remedies for worms other than a trip to the vet. This is a guide about remedies for worms in cats.

November 28, 2016 Flag

This is a worming medicine that is designed for dogs. It kills all intestinal worms except for tapeworms. The taste is acceptable to all 11 of my cats and they put up little resistance to taking it. There are other pills and liquids available, but if they don't take it it will do them no good ;). Dose according to weight of animal.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 28, 2007 Flag

If you decide to get a new kitten, either now or in the near future, please make sure you have the new baby dewormed.

I have just added another new one to the menagerie and was going a little crazy as she was determined that she had to be fed every time someone went near the refrigerator. When I phoned the vet, they suggested she be dewormed. The medicine is not expensive, it cost me $7.07 (cdn) and there is enough there to deworm 10 kittens! (an added bonus is that a free syringe is supplied and whatever is in this stuff the kitten seemed to think it tasted wonderful!)

By Cinnamon from Williams Lake, BC

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 3 Comments

July 31, 2016 Flag

Does anyone know a home remedy for worms in cats/dogs?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I use this product for my cats and my kittens. It works on worms, parasites and fleas. It's called Diatomaceous Earth (D.E.). There are two types of D.E., pool grade and food grade. Food grade is the one you want. You can also used it on yourself. It kills any parasites that you may have. It is a natural product. You can use it on kittens to get rid of fleas. I put a 1/2 tsp. in their cat food and in the kitten's bottles. I sprinkled the D.E. on all my carpets, left it on for three hours. Then I vacuumed it up and got rid of the contents right away. I took a pair of panty hose and cut the leg off and filled it with D.E. Tie a knot and use it to powder your cats and kittens. Please put a paper towel over their face so they do not breathe it in. That goes for you too, it is not good to breathe it in. You can also use this product for roaches, ants, and any other bugs that have a hard shell. You can use it in your garden. It will not kill earthworms because they do not have a hard shell. I found it on Amazon. Make sure that the D.E. that you get is <b>Food Grade</b>. Good luck!

February 16, 2015 Flag

How do I treat feline worms, round worms and string looking worms? I need a home remedy or good cheap med to fix this problem. It also has to be something that tastes good to the cat.

By Audrey

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

There are many different worms your cat can have. Some you can see, some you can't. If you buy the wormer at the pet store it gets certain types of worms. It is less effective than what you get from the Vet. It can have side effects for the cat. The stringy worms you are talking about are round worms. I really recommend you take your cat to the Vet and get the job done right.

March 24, 2015 Flag

Would a tape worm make a cat get fatter?

By Pauly from MI

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Your cat can have any of a number of worm parasites, including tapeworm, and worms can make a cat's abdominal area larger or "pot bellied". Please take your cat to your vet to identify the problem and provide treatment. Note that there are "worm treatments" you can buy at pet stores, however, if you do not know the specific type of worm, you cannot provide the correct treatment. Please do not wait to take your cat to your vet to help him or her feel much better.

February 21, 2014 Flag

I bought an over the counter med for deworming my cats. I gave it to them four days ago and now they seem really sick and I haven't seen any results in their stool. How long does it take and can they live long happy lives with worms?

By Mon

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Some over the counter wormers are rough on cats. Be especially careful with kittens. Find a Vet for a wormer that works and doesn't make your cat sick. Cats can tolerate some worms, but it depends on what kind they are and how old the cat is and how many they are. Check you local shelter for low cost Vet care. I am sure they will help you.

November 11, 2013 Flag

I just found round worms on my kitten's butt. How do I get rid of them? I don't have the money to take her to the vet. It has to be able to be given to a 13 week old kitten.

By Liz B.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Garlic is toxic to cats. NEVER GIVE A CAT GARLIC!

October 14, 2015 Flag

I just pulled out a white worm from my cat's anus. I don't have money to take him to the vet. What should I do for him? How do I treat it?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Buy a multi dewormer at the store. This IS something you can treat at home WITHOUT paying a vet.

May 15, 2013 Flag

What is the medication that I can buy for cats that have tapeworms, if I can not afford a vet?

By Jackie

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I use FOOD GRADE diatomaceous earth for treating my cats for TAPEWORMS. IT IS ALL NATURAL AND WILL NOT HARM ANIMALS. There are alot of sites that sell it but I get mine from Tractor and Supplies. I bought a 20lbs bag for 10 bucks. Cats 7-13 lbs 1 teaspoon daily. Also has other nutritional and dietary benefits. You should take a look at this product. Its all natural derived from ground sea shells. Only buy FOOD GRADE DIATOMACEOUS EARTH! There are other types that are harmful to pets and humans. I was buying chemical meds for the tapeworms but constantly worried about the effects on my cats.

Hope this helps!

Michelle

February 8, 2015 Flag

I have a male cat Max. He likes to go out and catch rodents. I do not let him out willingly. He has a brother and sister that live in the same house, and he is constantly crying at me for food. I don't know if he may have worms, but he has visited the vet before for this. I have researched that, and maybe he just wants attention. Was wondering if anyone had any suggestions? Thank you.

By Michelle

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

No, it can't be easily controlled with meds. Our cat died. If they don't have the surgery, which is $1,000+, your cat will die.

January 25, 2015 Flag

I have a 4 yr old Maine Coon Tabby mix, Jayden. I think he may have tapeworms, but I am not sure though. He's losing hair and has kinda bloody patches where he is itching like crazy. I have tried Lamisil and over the counter tape worm meds and nothing seems to work. It started to go away a little and he was starting to grow hair back, but that didn't last long. He's eating good, but not gaining too much weight. My dog Chyna is not having any type of problems. I am at my wits end and don't have the money for a vet. I give him baths every other day or try to with Dawn dish soap.

By Leslie

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

That is not tapeworm that is ring worm probably and is not a parasite it's a fungal infection you need Malaseb shampoo to treat that skin condition.

March 27, 2013 Flag

My cat has tape worms. What home remedy can I use?

By Aaliyah

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

my cat has tapeworms but no fleas so your answer would be wrong

August 24, 2010 Flag

My daughter has an 18 year old cat (Princess) that has been troubled with tape worms. She bought some of the diatomaceous earth and has been mixing this in her food for about 2 weeks. She says there are live worms in Princess's stool and I wondered if anyone can tell us how long it may take to rid her of these worms.

By cyber from Ocala, FL

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Diatomite did NOT kill anyone's cat. The worms did. Worms themselves often cause diarrhoea. Which dehydrates cats. Especially kittens. I've got 60 cats, all raised from birth right on my property. Outdoors. Diatomaceous Earth is not provably for deworming via ingestion, though some swear by it. I keep it around because, by keeping it mixed in my cats' fur, it keeps fleas somewhat under control, which stops worms from becoming so abundant that my cats have no way to fight for their health (long enough to become big from lots of solid food). Tapeworms kill. And fleas facilitate worms. Tapeworms can stay afloat only if fleas go unchecked. Else, they will lose the battle for your cats' lives. Get rid of tapeworms with praziquantel (contained in Droncit & Drontal). For roundworms, use pyrantel palmoate. Both are available over the counter. Drontal is pricey. It's worth it if you're rich.

(Pictured: Darrell is 1 year old. DE keeps him healthy. 3 of his sibs died from worms before I first used it. He gets his fur powdered. I don't feed it to him, really. Used to. But no evidence it deworms, despite the hype. The significance is, it fights fleas.

No fleas? No worms. Eventually.)

June 25, 2014 Flag

I found my kitten vomiting, and there were tapeworms in it. He is just 3 months old. What medicine should give him? I would be very grateful if you have a suggestion.

By R. Zaman

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Since you posted this question, I'm going to assume you can't afford to go to a vet. Call the closest SPCA and see if there are any free or low priced clinics in your area. Check with animal control in your area. Somewhere you will get free answers to your question. Make those calls today. This is serious.

May 14, 2015 Flag

My cat goes outdoors daily, and usually returns with a crusty white thing attached to the fur in the thigh region. He is a bit thinner than any neutered cat I've seen before, thought maybe because he's so active. Today I pulled a live tapeworm off of him. It was moist and squirming, but again, not near the anus. He has no fleas or other visible parasites. He eats mice and only God knows what else outside. Could he just have come into contact with a live parasite and would it just be a wasted vet trip? Or should he get checked out? I'm just at a loss because they aren't in his stool, nor are they around the anus, just caught in the fur on his backside.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I should have mentioned, that if you are seeing tapeworm segments, your cat has a lot of tapeworms. The 1st time I took my cat in to be wormed, she had over a dozen 12 to 15 inch worms. I am glad I had the Vet do it. Not sure how I would have handled all that.

October 23, 2015 Flag

It was a roundworm, or a chunk of roundworm, still wriggling. I know they are or can be contagious, but is there any way we can treat at home? There's just no chance in heck we could afford treatment for all 6 through a vet. Just a standard check up with 2 shots cost us 150$ for one cat. We adopted a stray and took her in. She surprised us with 5 kittens almost exactly 2 months after we brought her in. Would food grade diatomaceous earth and cider vinegar help this?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Unfortunately, if one of the kitties has some type of worms, the others have or will have the same problem. Please take your kitties to your vet now for help deworming. Perhaps all the kitties can be treated for a lower fee? Waiting will only make the problem worse and your kitties sicker. Diatomaceous earth and cider vinegar are not effective against any type of worms.

June 8, 2015 Flag

What is truly the best effective treatment for cats with little mealy worms that is not too expensive and works really fast? I am unable to afford vet at this time and am on a set income. Thank you.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If you do not know exactly what type of worm your cat has, no one can suggest a reliable treatment. Please take your cat to your vet immediately for a diagnosis and treatment that will cure the problem and help your cat feel much better. You have chosen to provide responsible care for your cat and that includes any medical problems that occur. Please help your cat.

August 20, 2013 Flag

Can I use diatomaceous earth in my cat's wet food for fleas, she has tape worms.

By Dawn

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

The Diatomaceous Earth will get rid of the tape worms by putting it in your kitties food.

You have to brush your kitties coat with the DE to get rid of the fleas and ticks.

March 18, 2014 Flag

I need to give my cat a dewormer. It says in the directions to put the dewormer on moist cat food. The problem is my cat will not eat moist cat food, he will only eat Meow mix dry cat food. He also will not eat human food, no milk, cheese, meats, nothing. So I'm at my wits end. Someone please help me to get my weird cat worm free without another vet bill.

By tlqcb6548

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Try using "pill pockets". You will find them at the pet store or in the pet department of a grocery store. I don't know what they are made of, but cats seem to love them. You just tuck the pill into the pocket and offer it as a treat. Do check with your vet to make sure you are giving your cat the right kind of worm medicine.

May 18, 2010 Flag

I have a female feral cat that has tapeworms. I was told that I can't give anything since she is feeding 6 kitties, 4 weeks old. Is there anything I can do to get rid of the worms? Can the cat transmit the worms to the kitties?

By Marcela from Queen NY

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Call a vet ASAP! Not only are you risking mama's life but also the kittens if you don't take care of this right away! Tapeworms eat all the nutrients both mama and babies need to survive!

Ingesting both fleas and the intestines of mice or rats infected with tapeworms is what causes them so it would be prudent to check your pets periodically for them in the future.

Load More
Pets HealthFebruary 27, 2013
Worm in the Lawn
Getting Rid of Worms in the Lawn
growing tomatoes
Worms Eating Tomatoes
A worm on pavement.
Getting Rid of Worms On Your Driveway
A veterinarian holding a dog.
Remedies for Worms in Dogs
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 19, 2017 at 4:15:23 AM on 10.0.1.187 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.