Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Remedies for Worms in Cats

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
cat

Cat owners sometimes look for remedies for worms other than a trip to the vet. This is a guide about remedies for worms in cats.

Solutions: Remedies for Worms in Cats

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Deworm Your Kittens

If you decide to get a new kitten, either now or in the near future, please make sure you have the new baby dewormed.

I have just added another new one to the menagerie and was going a little crazy as she was determined that she had to be fed every time someone went near the refrigerator. When I phoned the vet, they suggested she be dewormed. The medicine is not expensive, it cost me $7.07 (cdn) and there is enough there to deworm 10 kittens! (an added bonus is that a free syringe is supplied and whatever is in this stuff the kitten seemed to think it tasted wonderful!)

By Cinnamon from Williams Lake, BC

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to Remedies for Worms in Cats.

Question: Treating a Kitten for Round Worms

Closeup of kitten.I just found round worms on my kitten's butt. How do I get rid of them? I don't have the money to take her to the vet. It has to be able to be given to a 13 week old kitten.

By Liz B.

Most Recent Answer

By queenbeedat02/16/2014

I have been reading about apple cider vinegar an it's benefits to cats. A little, 1 tsp to large water bowl, will help get rid of parasites, worms, in cats and dogs and help repel fleas over time. If they don't like taste in water you can add to food. This will only help for roundworms not tapeworms. Tapeworms can only be rid of by medication which you can get on Amazon on Sterms and Foster- 2 good affordable sites.

Question: Remedy for Cat With Tapeworms

What is the medication that I can buy for cats that have tapeworms, if I can not afford a vet?

By Jackie

Most Recent Answer

By Lizzyanny [9]05/19/2013

Check out Valley Vet Supply on the internet. They have very good products.

Question: Home Remedy for a Cat With Tape Worms

My cat has tape worms. What home remedy can I use?

By Aaliyah

Most Recent Answer

By Sherri [6]03/29/2013

Hello,
I am a retired Veterinary Manager and I would recommend you take a stool sample to your Vet's office and have them determine which worms your cat has.(there could be other types) The only medication you can get to rid her of the tapeworms is a prescription from your Vet. The name of the medication is Drontal. There is not a home remedy or over the counter medication you can buy. If your cat has tapeworms, she has fleas. Please use a topical flea product (like Advantage) on her every month.
Good luck with your fur baby.

Question: Using Diatomaceous Earth for Tape Worms in Cats

My daughter has an 18 year old cat (Princess) that has been troubled with tape worms. She bought some of the diatomaceous earth and has been mixing this in her food for about 2 weeks. She says there are live worms in Princess's stool and I wondered if anyone can tell us how long it may take to rid her of these worms.

By cyber from Ocala, FL

Most Recent Answer

By cybergrannie [30]08/27/2010

Hello again and thanks for your response. Yes we do use DE in several areas but since the vet says she has no fleas (Princess has a bath every week with Dawn) her biggest concern is cleaning up the worms.

Undoubtedly Princess got a flea or two from somewhere or she would not have the worms. She is a house cat but does love our enclosed patio which does have some grass and we do occasionally visit neighbors with dogs and cats of their own. Fleas love to latch on to a "new" body so I believe this is the case. Princess is due at the vet's on September 10 so I hope she will be okay. Her age is always a concern.
Thanks again.

Question: Treating a Mother Cat with Tapeworms

I have a female feral cat that has tapeworms. I was told that I can't give anything since she is feeding 6 kitties, 4 weeks old. Is there anything I can do to get rid of the worms? Can the cat transmit the worms to the kitties?

By Marcela from Queen NY

Most Recent Answer

By Julia [136]05/18/2010

Two words. Diatomaceous Earth (food-grade)

OK, four words.

This stuff will absolutely kill every (bad) worm in
your mama kitty and will "not" harm the little ones
either.

Food-grade diatomaceous earth is one thing that
every SPCA, cat or dog rescue should be telling
everyone about. Just make sure it is "food grade"
and not the stuff used in swimming pools.

Sprinkle it all over the mother kitty, and rub it
in very well. (The little kitties will even get some
of this as they nurse). Sprinkle the DE over mother
kitty's food (about a half-teaspoonful every day).

Take care that you don't allow the dust to be
inhaled too much. Be sure to rub and brush it
into mother kitty's fur really well.

This DE will also take care of any fleas.

It is available online if you have trouble finding
it in your local pet stores. It should be way more
available than it is IMHO. It isn't all that expensive
either which probably explains the unavailability.

The best of luck to you with this problem.
Julia in Boca Raton, FL

Question: Kitten With Tapeworms

I found my kitten vomiting, and there were tapeworms in it. He is just 3 months old. What medicine should give him? I would be very grateful if you have a suggestion.

By R. Zaman

Most Recent Answer

By Cisco's Mom [5]06/28/2014

Since you posted this question, I'm going to assume you can't afford to go to a vet. Call the closest SPCA and see if there are any free or low priced clinics in your area. Check with animal control in your area. Somewhere you will get free answers to your question. Make those calls today. This is serious.

Question: Treating a Cat for Worms

Black and white cat sleepin on couch.I need to give my cat a dewormer. It says in the directions to put the dewormer on moist cat food. The problem is my cat will not eat moist cat food, he will only eat Meow mix dry cat food. He also will not eat human food, no milk, cheese, meats, nothing. So I'm at my wits end. Someone please help me to get my weird cat worm free without another vet bill.

By tlqcb6548

Most Recent Answer

By Joan [19]03/20/2014

Try using "pill pockets". You will find them at the pet store or in the pet department of a grocery store. I don't know what they are made of, but cats seem to love them. You just tuck the pill into the pocket and offer it as a treat. Do check with your vet to make sure you are giving your cat the right kind of worm medicine.

Question: Determining If a Cat Has Worms

Cats eating inside.Recently I had two kittens adopt me. They were only 6 weeks at the time we started to feed the two of them. One of them has become very friendly with me and lets me pet him and comes when you call his name, but the other one still won't let me near it.

I noticed the one that won't let us touch it started to get fatter and fatter so we thought she was pregnant. Everyone started to put in their names for kittens. But weeks turned to months and months turned to more months and no kittens. I recently caught her dragging her butt across the carpet at the front door. I have also seen the area around her butt has at times been really really red. And still she continues to get bigger and bigger.

Someone suggested she may have worms. But she is an outdoor cat that I can't get close to so I can't check her poops either. Should I get a deworming thing from the pet store and give it a try. Cause I'd really hate for her to get sick. The other one would be so heart broken. But if she is sick I may have to trap her somehow and find the money to take her to the vet's. Please help, I'm beginning to worry.

By Lisa F.

Most Recent Answer

By Lizzyanny [9]03/10/2014

My experience with over the counter wormers is that they dont work and can give an animal terrible cramps. Could you ask your Vet for some wormer you can use at home? They are usually pretty helpful with feral kitties. Or the Vet or the humane society would loan you a safe trap to catch her. Best of all you need to get her to the Vet because you cant be sure what you have is worms, and you may miss something. Good luck.

Question: Home Remedies for Worming Cats

I bought an over the counter med for deworming my cats. I gave it to them four days ago and now they seem really sick and I haven't seen any results in their stool. How long does it take and can they live long happy lives with worms?

By Mon

Best Answer

By Lizzyanny [9]02/24/2014

Some over the counter wormers are rough on cats. Be especially careful with kittens. Find a Vet for a wormer that works and doesn't make your cat sick. Cats can tolerate some worms, but it depends on what kind they are and how old the cat is and how many they are. Check you local shelter for low cost Vet care. I am sure they will help you.

Question: Treating a Cat With Tapeworms

Will roundworm liquid dewormer treat tapeworm in cats?

By Jennifer T.

Most Recent Answer

By Lizzyanny [9]11/26/2013

No. Check Doctor Foster and Smith website for wormers.

Question: Getting Rid of Tape Worms in Cat

Can I use diatomaceous earth in my cat's wet food for fleas, she has tape worms.

By Dawn

Most Recent Answer

By dupperdog [2]08/22/2013

It won't work. Diatomaceous earth works on insects with a hard outer shell by scraping away the shell and causing the insect to dry out and die. This can't apply to a soft bodied tapeworm living in the fluid filled interior of the intestine. You need to get tapeworm medicine from a vet. It is a special formula and is not sold over the counter in pet stores. However, tapeworms generally will not harm the cat so if you can't afford the vet and can get over the "disgust" factor, you might just decide to let the cat live with the tapeworm.

Question: Treating a Kitten for Worms

I just got a new kitten. We saved it from outside a couple days ago and I found out it has worms and right now we can't afford to take it to the vet or buy anything. So does anyone know any home remedies? The kitten is 10 weeks old at least. I could really use some help.

By Sarah G.

Most Recent Answer

By Dena Roberts [31]07/26/2013

You can buy deworming medications from pet stores. You need to weight the kitten to know how much to use. An overdose will make the kitten really ill and may kill it. If possible, go to a pet store that allows you to take the kitten with you and have them weight it...phone a few in your area. We have several here that encourage taking your pet with you.

Question: Turnip for Worms in Cats

How do you get your cat to eat the food with the turnip in it? I tried and he just turns his nose up at me.

By Jennifer

Most Recent Answer

By Joan [19]02/22/2013

I don't know about turnip, but we do give our cat pumpkin (canned) with her food every day. She eats mostly dry food, but once a day she gets about a tablespoon of canned cat food mixed with the same amount of pumpkin and a little canned tuna. It's supposed to be good for their digestion. I think the secret is to start with a very small amount of turnip and gradually increase it. Also, mix it in really well with her other food. She knows what time of day she gets her "treat" and gets very vocal if we are a few minutes late. Hope this helps.

Question: Treating a Cat with Tape Worms

Would D Wormer liquid wormer work on cats that have tapeworms? Can anther cat get sick from one who has the worms?

By Elaine from Providence, RI

Most Recent Answer

By Jazzmin Flower [7]12/09/2010

Sergeant's Vetscription Worm Away 7 for cats or dogs is an OTC product that really works! My cats tell me that the worm is extinguished in 3 hours flat. I break up the tablets (they resemble psyllium) into small pieces according to the size of the cat. Also D-Worm tablets for dogs from Petco really zero in on the tapeworm and zap it in 5 - 7 hours. I am happy with the results as there are no side effects. Even a critically ill animal can handle this medication.
Although they are labeled for dogs, the ingredients are purrfectly safe for use on cats and there is plenty of tablet left for the usual 9-10 day later second dose. Both products should be available at Petco.

RE: Treating a Cat with Tape Worms

Question: Treating a Cat With Tapeworms

I need to know about tapeworms in cats. How do I treat them?

By Frankie

Most Recent Answer

By Sherri [6]11/23/2010

Hello,
Tapeworms are caused by fleas. Please take your fur baby to the vet and bring a fecal sample with you so he/she can identify the specific parasite. Your Vet will give you medication for this, there is not a home remedy. I have worked for a Veterinarian for over 27 years. Good luck.

Question: Cat Has Worms That Won't Go Away

I treated my cats and kittens for fleas and worms. One of the kittens has worms again and now they all have fleas again. I have put Advantage on them for 2 months now. Please someone help!

By Melody from Wilson, NY

Most Recent Answer

By mellie07/30/2010

In addition to finding out from the vet what kind of worm it is, you'll not only have to treat the fleas on the cats with Dawn, but you also have to treat their environment. And it's best to do it all in one day. You need to treat the house and also the yard with something designed to kill fleas. Your local pet store can help you with that. In the house, you should treat their bedding, any furniture or beds or pillows they sleep on, and also the floors. And if you use a vacuum with a bag, throw it out and put in a new one. You'll want to do that every time you vacuum until you're flea free. It's not much fun, but if you don't attack this problem on all fronts at the same time, you'll never get rid of the fleas. Been there, done that. It works. Good luck! :-)

Question: Can Dogs or Humans Catch Worms From Cats?

We have several barn cats who are friendly, but I noticed recently that they had worms coming out of their back side. Our dogs are up to date with shots and flea stuff. Can those worms affect humans/dogs? The cats are just barn cats that have shown up and decided we're suckers. We don't have that kinda money to treat them, too.

By Darcie from WI

Most Recent Answer

By vicki hood [4]06/01/2010

Easy, inexpensive, dogs, cats, even us humans. Safe, natural, for all intestinal worms (won't work on heart worms) Food grade (garden grade had poisons that can kill) diatomaceous earth sprinkled on their food. 75% of humans have worms. Not any animals fault. I ordered by the gallon of powder. It was enough for years of everything I could get my hands on. I paid about $9. Can be used safely in your garden for bugs. Use for pets, livestock and yourself. Many benefits other than worm removal. WWW.earthworkshealth.com. No, I don't sell it or am i any part of earth works. Took a while and found this as pure and safe with good directions and reasonable.

Question: Homemade Remedy for Worms in Cats

Are there any home remedies for the worms that look like "rice"? My cat had babies and now she has these thingies.

By Lori from Chilliwack, BC

Most Recent Answer

By jeannie04/12/2010

No you need meds. Jeannie

Question: Worming a One Month Old Kitten

I would like information on how to treat worms in 1 month old kitten?

By rubylark from Hamilton, NJ

Most Recent Answer

By dru08/06/2009

What a precious wee baby.