Browsing: Keeping Ants Out of the Hummingbird Feeder

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Keeping Ants Out of the Hummingbird Feeder

The sweet liquid in your hummingbird feeder attracts more visitors than just your intended guests. Ants also love the sweet nectar and often invade the feeders. Keeping them out can be a real hassle. This is a guide about keeping ants out of the hummingbird feeder.

Hummingbird perched on a feeder.

Related Product:

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

June 7, 2016 Flag

I have tried "everything" over the years to keep ants out of my hummingbird feeders without success, but have finally solved this problem. As usual as soon as the weather warmed up they arrived in great numbers. I used a wire to hang the feeder, and then twisted an old fashioned fly strip around the wire above the feeder. It has been in place for about 2 months now and not one ant have I seen.

Source: My daughter helped me figure this out.

Flypaper around feeder hangerFlypaper for Keeping Ants out of Hummingbird Feeders

November 4, 2011 Flag

This works great. Put Vaseline (petroleum jelly) on the hook, pole, string, or whatever the feeder is hanging from. The ants get stuck while walking to the food. Just make sure that they have no access without having to walk through the goo. They have completely disappeared from my yard.

By Brenda2u from Huntington Beach, CA

May 29, 2011 Flag

A hummingbird feeder.My husband made us a moat for our hummingbird feeder to keep ants out of the nectar for just pennies! He cut a water bottle in half, drilled a hole in bottom just big enough to fit the coated wire that holds the feeder on the shepherds hook. He fed the wire through, set the "moat" on top of the feeder, then sealed the hole in the water bottle so no water would leak out. Let sealer (bathtub sealer) set up, add water after dried, and no more ants in the nectar.

By Brenda from Durand, MI

August 6, 2012 Flag

If the bees are chasing your hummingbirds from the feeders, and ants are draining them, as they are mine, you can solve the problem for the most part by making a quick and cheap trap.

feeder trap 2

September 9, 2013 Flag

I put packaging tape on my feeder to catch the ants as they crawl down to get to the sweet stuff. Since I have been doing this, I have had no ants in my feeder and the tape still works after it rains.

Hummingbird Feeder

August 25, 2011 Flag

I was finding ants getting into my hummingbird feeder that was hung on a shepard's hook. They apparently climbed up the pole and into the food. I took shipping tape and tied it with string around the post (with sticky side out) starting at the bottom.

Base of hummingbird feeder with shipping tape to deter ants.

August 11, 2015 Flag

After several years of trying everything possible, I've found that liberally applying vegetable oil all over the shepard's crook and the feeder hanger itself keeps ants away. Nothing toxic, messy, or unsightly, and the ants don't like it!

July 31, 2014 Flag

To prevent ants on hummingbird feeders, use a dryer sheet on the wire supporting the feeder. It works great!

July 28, 2013 Flag

I have an expensive glass hummingbird feeder. The hummingbirds come to it very regularly. My problem is that these huge black ants (and they are numerous) are floating in the liquid and are also on the actual feeder. When the liquid is finished, which seems to be every second day, I take it apart and wash it down and clean out all the ants. I then put in fresh liquid. Does anyone know how I can eliminate all these large black ants without jeopardizing the birds?

By Joyce

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Why not put it on the base, where the ants come from and the birds don't fly.

make a moat

April 25, 2011 Flag

How do I keep ants out of my hummingbird feeders?

By Jerry from Lampasas, TX

All I can say is WOW! The most that I have ever had is 6 hummers in one season. A male cardinal took on a feeder last year and would not move when

the hummers tried to feed. I just hung more feeders.

I use just a dab of axle grease smeared around the hanger. If you don't have any I'm sure someone you know would be glad to stick some in a baggie for you. The larger the ants the longer the smear. Make sure it goes all the way around the hanger.

July 14, 2014 Flag

This is a guide about using hummingbird feeders. Making sure your feeders are free of insects and clean are important for the hummingbirds.

Hummingbird Feeder

July 3, 2012 Flag

Is there a way to keep ants out of the hummingbird feeder? Is there an ant-proof feeder?

Thank you.

By Kathy

I found a small round thing at Lowe's just the other day that is specifically to keep and it. It w was just a few bucks!

I use double sided tape at the base of the Shepard hook. The ants sense it's at their peril to cross it.

February 26, 2013 Flag

I've put Vaseline on the bottom portion of the pole where I hang my hummingbird feeder. I avoid putting it where the birds may land just on the bottom portion of the pole. It sure helps keeping ants away.

Load More
Home and Garden Gardening Birds & Bird HousesAugust 19, 2011
Ants on a Trumpet Vine
Keeping Ants Off a Trumpet Vine
A glass hummingbird feeder.
Making a Hummingbird Feeder
HummingbirdFeeder
Protecting a Hummingbird Feeder from Rain
Hummingbird Feeder
Cleaning a Hummingbird Feeder
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 26, 2016 at 12:09:53 AM on 10.0.1.55 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.