Browsing: Identifying Flying Insects

Tiny Flying Insects in the House

I have very tiny (maybe a mm big), round moth like bugs crawling on my walls and carpet. I just saw one fly the other day. They are black and white stripped with six legs and antennas. When squished they have a powdery dust on their wings. Any idea what they are? They don't bite; they're just a nuisance.

By Jess from Canton, OH

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

I'm not sure what kind of bugs those are but I found the apple cider vinegar trick worked when we had a gnat infestation. Maybe that would work for you. Place a cup of apple cider vinegar near where the bugs are (a few drops of soap in the vinegar helps). Dump out the collections of dead bugs daily. I was shocked at how many we collected. We also moved the bananas into the refrigerator until the infestation stopped.

I am guessing they are moth flies, google them and see a pic. We had them last year for the first time ever.

Have you tried the bleach and then plugging or covering the drains so they can't come out?

June 30, 2012 Flag

I have tiny black bugs flying around in my kitchen and living room. What are they and more importantly, how do I get rid of them?

By Jacque B.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Sounds like fruit flies. Do you have fruit in a bowl on the counter? Bananas? Is the weather warm? Clean off surfaces with soapy water and remove over-ripened fruit. I take vinegar and water solution and wipe off my countertops, etc.

Minnesota!

October 1, 2011 Flag

I have black flying insects that bite in my house and they are driving me crazy. We were told by personnel at the hardware store to pour bleach down all of the drains, starting at the top of the house. I first saw them in my shower, coming from the drain. They are in my laundry room, probably from the floor drain. I have seen them upstairs now in the main bathroom and the kitchen sink. The bleach has not done anything.

I have red welts and a rash all over my arms, hands, and shoulders. I don't know about my back, but it is always itchy. So is my head. I am going crazy and can't sleep. I hate to go into the bathroom at night, because I have to start picking up the bodies after spraying with Raid Max. Nothing works. They just keep coming back, they never go away. Help.

By Bev G.

When you put bleach down drains, do you have a stopper to put over drain holes? You could try vinegar and baking soda. I heat up vinegar in microwave, then pour baking soda in drain and then pour vinegar. I've used this to unstop drains.

Note: after it stops bubbling from the vinegar and baking soda, put stopper over night. I hope this works or you find a solution.

August 13, 2012 Flag

By the light of my cell phone, in the dark of my bedroom, I have become aware of tiny flying (flea looking) insects. What might they be ? They are attracted to the light and I've only seen one at a time. I don't notice any bites, but after seeing them I feel they must be living off my dead skin! Help me, please, I'm creeped out!

By JC

They are called duloflectasty. And your right they do eat your dead skin and hair. They are harmless and are actually inhaled while you sleep. They attache themselves to your mucus membrane and crawl out through your nostrils, unless you breath through your nose at that point they find another exit. I have heard they will exit through the ear canal. Have no fear.

March 16, 2011 Flag

I have beetle looking bug that flies, it's about the size of a small ant, infesting my kitchen. Any idea what this is or how to get rid of it?

By Jamie from Sidney, OH

Answers:

Tiny Flying Insects in the House

Sounds like fruit flies, they come into your house in bags of potatoes or fruit and if you are unlucky, they manage to grow and reproduce. Regular fly spray will kill them. You can also put water in a glass and stick it under a light (go to bed and leave light on) and they will usually manage to drown themselves, if you don't wish to kill them so directly. (06/18/2010)

By thriftyvicki

Tiny Flying Insects in the House

Do you have plants in the room? Try putting some diatomaceous earth in the soil. Just be careful not to breathe the dust. I had fruit flies in my office, no food anywhere, and that was the only way to get rid of them. In the absence of fruit, I guess they'll go to anything else growing they can find. (06/23/2010)

By Beth

June 17, 2010 Flag

Just wondering if anyone might have suggestions for controlling small, flying
insects indoors? Early last year we had the same problem, and it helped to
hang a couple of sticky traps on curtain rods. We do not have any small
children, grandchildren, or pets.

We traced this problem to a very "buggy" bag of potting soil, so after getting rid of that, we were okay. However, now we seem to have a new "batch" since the weather is warming.

Why are they in the house? There aren't lots of them, but they're still
around. Anyone know where they come from? They look like baby flies. They must hatch in the house somewhere, but I sure can't figure out where! Any other ideas to get rid of them is appreciated. Thanks.

Answers:

Tiny Flying Insects in the House

If they are fruit flies, put away all your fruit.
This will work for fruit flies and maybe other flies as well:
Mix equal parts of water, cider vinegar and sugar. Mix this well and add one drop of dish soap (to break the surface tension). Put about an inch or 2 of this into small bottles (like recycled plastic water bottles) and place this around the house where the flies are. They will fly into this liquid and drown.
Replace with new, weekly. (04/02/2010)

By Cyinda

Tiny Flying Insects in the House

My tiny flying brown insects turned out to be red flour beetles and were found in a Tupperware container of cereal and a box of dog biscuits. Check your pantry and cupboards, all of them! They chew minuscule holes in boxes and bags. Put everything in glass or hard plastic containers. Eggs live in curtains and rugs for up to one month before hatching. You won't see them for a month, and then there they are. I eventually had to have an exterminator come. Good luck! They went from one cupboard to all of them. But the plastic, glass containers did the job. (04/02/2010)

By elyag

Tiny Flying Insects in the House

I had something like that last year. I had bought a bag of potting soil with a lot of compost in it, or manure, I forget which. Potted some little flowers, left town and gave my son instructions how to water. Came back and all the plants were dead, and we had those mini flies everywhere. It wasn't fruit flies. Finally realized it was the soil, I had bought it in a hurry, and it was 1) way too strong for my little plants, hence, their demise, and 2) and attractant for those bugs. I threw out the potting mix away from apartment and washed the pot and that was the end of that. Find the source.
Maybe you used some of that buggy soil and it's still active. (04/02/2010)

By PIKKA

April 1, 2010 Flag

I have tiny flying insects in my home. They are smaller than mosquitoes. What can I use to get rid of them?

February 19, 2010 Flag

I recently, 2 months ago, moved into a furnished apartment. My first nights there, I felt like bugs were landing on me.

bug spray
Identifying Flying Insects
Home and Garden Pest Control InsectsMarch 16, 2011
Furious girl with a fly swatter.
Getting Rid of Gnats
swarm of mosquitos
Getting Rid of Flying Insects
Lady Bug on a Green Leaf
Identifying Beneficial Garden Insects
Flying ant on a white background.
Getting Rid of Flying Ants
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 26, 2016 at 3:25:17 PM on 10.0.2.207 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.