Removing Grease (Oil) Stains from Clothing

Grease or oil stains can be difficult to remove from clothing. This is a guide about removing grease (oil) stains from clothing.

Woman removing a Grease stain.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

I just got black grease from our garage door on my new nylon/down ski jacket.
How do I get it off?
Thanks so much!

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I went on this website to get ideas for removing dry-erase marker stains from clothing as my son comes home from Pre-K frequently with these stains. After trying a few of the suggested solutions and still having a visible stain, I remembered that my mom used to use Lestoil heavy-duty cleaner to remove tough stains from clothes when I was a kid. The product is still around today, and works to remove various tough stains from clothes, including grease and tar. I tried it on the dry-erase marker stain and it worked! I was so relieved as the shirt that was stained was a designer shirt. I just had to share this great tip with any other stressed-out parents dealing with dry-erase marker stains I wish they still used chalkboards in school!

By Kate from Cape May, NJ

CommentMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This is a guide about removing grease stains on lace clothing. Lace clothing can be rather delicate, making stain removal a bit chancy.

Woman in white lace shirt gazing down

My son left his tube of Carmex in his jeans pocket and ruined a load of his clothes. Most hit were the t-shirts, some of which he didn't want to trash yet. Any ideas to get this kind of grease stain out? Already tried good old pre-spot, and they've already been dried. Is it hopeless?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
    Best Answer

Kim, if you have already dried these items in the dryer, there's really not much you can do. (Heat will set the stain). If not, put a couple drops of Dawn dishwashing liquid on each spot, scrub a little and then wash as normal. Dawn is excellent in getting out oil/grease stains. Good Luck!

Read More Answers...

I'm 14 years and I was getting the Fry Daddy out for my mom and I didn't know there was Crisco in it. It spilt all over my clothes. They are my new clothes. We don't know what to do.

Shelby

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
    Best Answer

Hi Shelby! I'm so sorry about your new clothes. I would take Dawn dishwashing liquid and squirt it all over the clothes covering the grease completely and rubbing it into the fabric. Let it sit a few minutes then launder it as usual. I have had great success getting all kinds of grease and oil out of clothes. If it doesn't all come out the first time, just do the same thing another time or 2. I sure hope this helps. Let me know :)

Read More Answers...

i bought a pair of lovely royal blue cotton trousers, but something leaked in my bag, it was grease. I washed them straight away, but alas the stain was still there. So this time I massaged Fairy liquid into the area and washed again; now there's a small amount of stain left, but it is noticeable. What can I do now?

By Mandy

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Rub Dawn dish washing liquid onto the stain and throw into the washer.

Read More Answers...

I recently applied flea/tick drops to my dog's back. Not long after, I forgot and snuggled up next to her back. Now I have this oily stain on my tee shirt and can't get it out. Any suggestions?

By Cricket P.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have had good luck with an orange peel cleaner. I've forgotten the name, but I got it in the laundry section of the local grocery store. It is an orange liquid made from orange peels.

Read More Answers...

Just recently as I was eating a quesadilla, grease spilled out of the end of the piece I was eating and spilled on my shorts. The shorts are 100% cotton. I washed them once and hang dried them and the stains are still there. Any ideas on the best method to remove the stain?

Thanks in advance,

Brandon

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have had good luck removing grease stains from cotten tee shirts, etc using Shout and Neutragena shampoo. I spray the stain with the Shout then add a generous coating of the neutragena shampoo. Then soak in cold water for a couple of hours before washing as normal. I have had to treat a stain twice on occasion. Good luck!

Read More Answers...

My son has a red Ohio State hoodie and got grease on it from his job. He washed and dried it in hopes that the grease would come out. It didn't come out.

He had asked me to see if I could get it out, I used carbon tec (the chemical the dry cleaners use), after I sprayed it with that, I used a toothbrush on it, then sprayed it with Simple Green scrubbed it again with the toothbrush. I washed and dried it in hopes to getting the stain out.

Is the stain in there forever or is there something else I can use to get the grease out?

By Chris T. from Sagamore Hills, OH

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

GOOP! I live with a house full of mechanics. It works wonderful. Put a little on the stain. Rub with fingers make sure its in, then toss in laundry. Can also use it safely in washer.

Read More Answers...

I got oil or grease on a winter jacket. Any ideas?

By Deb Q. from Ottawa, Ontario

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You might try dampening it a little and them put some baking soda on. Let that dry and then brush it out.

I have some really difficult set in stains in some shirts. The stains I believe are grease and dirt. I have tried OxiClean, and other stain removers, but have not been able to get out these stains. I have even washed these shirts in hot water. Can you possibly offer a solution?

By Anthony from Greenville, SC

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You may want to watch this video that takes grease out of silk or other fabrics ,it would work for carpet grease stains http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkL4CFciS34

Read More Answers...

When cleaning mechanic's uniforms where they wipe their greasy hands; what kind of detergent is supposed to be used?

By Zack from Chicago, IL

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Use gain pebbles two cups of cheap pine cleaner and regular detergent now the gain pebbles are only for fresh scented clothing

Read More Answers...

When my wife washes my t-shirts they come out with stains on them. The stain looks like a light kind of round oil stain. We can't figure out where these stains are coming from. They are on my white and colored t-shirts. All of them go in clean and come out stained. We even got a new washing machine.

By Luke from Anaheim, CA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

It's your drier sheets :( Boohoo! Idk if you know, drier sheets are full of nasty toxins. Use white vinegar in your final rinse. The smell will be gone when the clothes are dry and will still smell good, like your soap. Way cheaper! I rarely use products from the store, the Internet is full of much safer diy 'recipes' that you'll be pleasantly suprised work As well or better, and cost substantially less :)

Read More Answers...

How do I remove set in grease stains?

By sblevins71 from Creston, NC

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Spray wd-40 on the stain, let it sit for 10 min, then rinse it out with water. Follow with a laundry pre-treat stain remover (Spray n Wash, etc), then launder.

Read More Answers...

How can I remove diesel oil and grease from clothing after it has set in?

By Joseph

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have tried many things,used many things finally I can recommend one thing I know for sure works. On HSN.com there is a product called S2O. They have laundry sheets and a liquid stain remover. Made from organic products, made especially for removing oil, grease, stains that nothing else I have heard of does.

The laundry sheets are affordable, less than any store brands for sure.I only need 1 sheet per load,comes out to about 40 cents a load. You do not need boosters, pre-wash products not even bleach. The liquid is what is in sheets just in stronger form. The scientist that made it shows a demo where he dumps axle grease right on fabric and it dissolves away from clothes. Old stains as well as new.

They have 30 day money back guarantee, give it a try. I was amazed just how it removes under arm stains,ring around the collar (all is oil based) then can get out blood. I hope you find it as helpful as I have. Once again it is called S2O. There is a 800 number or you can look it up on HSN.com. Luck your way saving money on clothes!

There are, I don't know how many, grease spots on the back and front of my Detroit Tiger jersey which is made of polyester and is white what the Old English D in blue and blue trimming. How can I get the grease spots out?

By Warren

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have had great success using Shout Advanced is the squeeze spray bottle. Spray it, let it sit overnight and then wash it in cold water and see if it takes care of the problem. Do not dry it in a dryer or use hot water until you have removed the stain. Hot anything will set the stain permanently.

I need a stain remover to take out set in oil and grease stains. Any suggestions?

By Judy S.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Depends on type of material, but dawn really is a miracle worker! Just dap a little on, massage it in and let it set for a little while and wash as usual.

Read More Answers...

How do I removed grease stains from clothes, all types of material?

By pussycat from Birmingham, England

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Shampoo works. Any cheap shampoo will do.

Doris

Read More Answers...

How do you remove old grease stains from clothing?

By Sandra from Cyprus

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Shampoo was a massive help! Thank you so much @rforbes! I used Tresseme too! I got garlic bread greese on some chinos, and from what I can tell it's almost totally gone! If I do it again, I reckon it'll be completely gone! :D

Read More Answers...

Is there a good homemade formula for removing chocolate or grease stains from cotton clothing?

AnswerMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes
    Load More
    Home and Garden Cleaning Clothing StainsApril 20, 2012
    Steam cleaning Upholstery
    Removing Grease Stain on Upholstery
    grease stain on carpet
    Cleaning Grease Stains on Carpet
    dirty garage floor
    Removing Oil Stains from Garage Floor
    Up close photo of a dirty driveway.
    Removing Oil Spills from Your Driveway
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 25, 2016 at 12:55:05 PM on 10.0.0.31 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.