Browsing: Removing Grease (Oil) Stains from Clothing

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Removing Grease (Oil) Stains from Clothing

Grease or oil stains can be difficult to remove from clothing. This is a guide about removing grease (oil) stains from clothing.

Woman removing a Grease stain.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

January 22, 2007 Flag

I went on this website to get ideas for removing dry-erase marker stains from clothing as my son comes home from Pre-K frequently with these stains. After trying a few of the suggested solutions and still having a visible stain, I remembered that my mom used to use Lestoil heavy-duty cleaner to remove tough stains from clothes when I was a kid. The product is still around today, and works to remove various tough stains from clothes, including grease and tar. I tried it on the dry-erase marker stain and it worked! I was so relieved as the shirt that was stained was a designer shirt. I just had to share this great tip with any other stressed-out parents dealing with dry-erase marker stains I wish they still used chalkboards in school!

By Kate from Cape May, NJ

February 12, 2008 Flag

My son left his tube of Carmex in his jeans pocket and ruined a load of his clothes. Most hit were the t-shirts, some of which he didn't want to trash yet. Any ideas to get this kind of grease stain out? Already tried good old pre-spot, and they've already been dried. Is it hopeless?

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Kim, if you have already dried these items in the dryer, there's really not much you can do. (Heat will set the stain). If not, put a couple drops of Dawn dishwashing liquid on each spot, scrub a little and then wash as normal. Dawn is excellent in getting out oil/grease stains. Good Luck!

Read More Answers...

July 15, 2007 Flag

I'm 14 years and I was getting the Fry Daddy out for my mom and I didn't know there was Crisco in it. It spilt all over my clothes. They are my new clothes. We don't know what to do.

Shelby

Best Answer

Hi Shelby! I'm so sorry about your new clothes. I would take Dawn dishwashing liquid and squirt it all over the clothes covering the grease completely and rubbing it into the fabric. Let it sit a few minutes then launder it as usual. I have had great success getting all kinds of grease and oil out of clothes. If it doesn't all come out the first time, just do the same thing another time or 2. I sure hope this helps. Let me know :)

Read More Answers...

June 14, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about cleaning food oil stains from t-shirts. Cooking or even eating can sometimes result in food oil stains on your clothing.

person in t-shirt pouring food oil in bowl

June 6, 2016 Flag

My wife managed to get caught up on the car towball which had grease on it. Her new jacket isn't looking too new now, it's a light tanny color and made up of 66% acrylic, 20% nylon & 14% wool. Any advice besides buy a new one would be greatly appreciated.

April 17, 2012 Flag

i bought a pair of lovely royal blue cotton trousers, but something leaked in my bag, it was grease. I washed them straight away, but alas the stain was still there. So this time I massaged Fairy liquid into the area and washed again; now there's a small amount of stain left, but it is noticeable. What can I do now?

By Mandy

Rub Dawn dish washing liquid onto the stain and throw into the washer.

Read More Answers...

April 12, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about removing grease stains on lace clothing. Lace clothing can be rather delicate, making stain removal a bit chancy.

Woman in white lace shirt gazing down

July 18, 2013 Flag

I recently applied flea/tick drops to my dog's back. Not long after, I forgot and snuggled up next to her back. Now I have this oily stain on my tee shirt and can't get it out. Any suggestions?

By Cricket P.

I have had good luck with an orange peel cleaner. I've forgotten the name, but I got it in the laundry section of the local grocery store. It is an orange liquid made from orange peels.

Read More Answers...

June 17, 2005 Flag

Just recently as I was eating a quesadilla, grease spilled out of the end of the piece I was eating and spilled on my shorts. The shorts are 100% cotton. I washed them once and hang dried them and the stains are still there. Any ideas on the best method to remove the stain?

Thanks in advance,

Brandon

I have had good luck removing grease stains from cotten tee shirts, etc using Shout and Neutragena shampoo. I spray the stain with the Shout then add a generous coating of the neutragena shampoo. Then soak in cold water for a couple of hours before washing as normal. I have had to treat a stain twice on occasion. Good luck!

Read More Answers...

November 24, 2009 Flag

My son has a red Ohio State hoodie and got grease on it from his job. He washed and dried it in hopes that the grease would come out. It didn't come out.

He had asked me to see if I could get it out, I used carbon tec (the chemical the dry cleaners use), after I sprayed it with that, I used a toothbrush on it, then sprayed it with Simple Green scrubbed it again with the toothbrush. I washed and dried it in hopes to getting the stain out.

Is the stain in there forever or is there something else I can use to get the grease out?

By Chris T. from Sagamore Hills, OH

GOOP! I live with a house full of mechanics. It works wonderful. Put a little on the stain. Rub with fingers make sure its in, then toss in laundry. Can also use it safely in washer.

Read More Answers...

November 15, 2010 Flag

When my wife washes my t-shirts they come out with stains on them. The stain looks like a light kind of round oil stain. We can't figure out where these stains are coming from. They are on my white and colored t-shirts. All of them go in clean and come out stained. We even got a new washing machine.

By Luke from Anaheim, CA

How do you get the dryer sheet stains out?

Read More Answers...

June 17, 2010 Flag

I have some really difficult set in stains in some shirts. The stains I believe are grease and dirt. I have tried OxiClean, and other stain removers, but have not been able to get out these stains. I have even washed these shirts in hot water. Can you possibly offer a solution?

By Anthony from Greenville, SC

You may want to watch this video that takes grease out of silk or other fabrics ,it would work for carpet grease stains http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkL4CFciS34

Read More Answers...
Load More
Home and Garden Cleaning Clothing StainsApril 20, 2012
Steam cleaning Upholstery
Removing Grease Stain on Upholstery
grease stain on carpet
Cleaning Grease Stains on Carpet
dirty garage floor
Removing Oil Stains from Garage Floor
Up close photo of a dirty driveway.
Removing Oil Spills from Your Driveway
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 23, 2016 at 9:19:26 AM on 10.0.1.96 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.