Removing Grease Stains from Clothing

Grease or oil stains can be difficult to remove from clothing. This is a guide about removing grease (oil) stains from clothing.

Tips

Share a TipCheck out these tips or, if you have something to add to this guide, click to share your own tip!

For removing tar and grease from clothing, I first use some WD-40 and work it into the spot until it starts to break down. Then I use some cream-type hand cleaner (available at an auto-parts store) and rub that into the remaining spot. Then, if needed, I use a small bit of baby shampoo and warm water to remove anything that is left before tossing in the clothes washer. This has always worked with even the hardest roofing tars and auto grease stains. Good Luck!

To remove a stain from an oil drop on your clothes, cover the stain with flour or baby powder for few hours or even over night. Then brush flour or the powder and the stain is removed. You have to do it immediately while the stain is fresh.

By Dana from Palo Alto, CA

All oil based stains can be cleaned by using the waterless hand cleaner you find in the automotive department.

I use it on salad dressing a lot. It is very safe. Any thing that is oil based this works great on. Just rub on the spot and put in the wash as usual.

By Rosemary from Ludlow Falls, OH

How to Get Grease Out of Fabrics - Woman eating a greasy hamburger

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

Blue velour fabric.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

Removing stains on fabric with a nap may require special care so as not to damage the pile. This is a guide about removing grease stains on velour pants.

A mechanic working on a car.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

When making your own car repairs you can get grease on your clothing. This is a guide about removing car grease stains from clothing.

A woman eating a salad in a wool sweater.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about removing food grease from wool clothing. Proper cleaning of stains on your wool clothing will prevent damage to the garment.

A container of Carmex.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about removing Carmex stains from clothing. Carmex can leave any oily looking stain if it accidentally gets on your clothing.

A mechanic pouring transmission fluid into a funnel.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about removing transmission fluid from clothes. When working on your car or adding more fluids sometimes you can get stains on your clothing.

A woman looking at a mysterious grease stain on her laundered clothing.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about mysterious grease stains on clothing. Sometimes clothes come out of the washer with strange grease or oil-like stains on them that were not there before washing.

person in t-shirt pouring food oil in bowl

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about cleaning food oil stains from t-shirts. Cooking or even eating can sometimes result in food oil stains on your clothing.

Woman in white lace shirt gazing down

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about removing grease stains on lace clothing. Lace clothing can be rather delicate, making stain removal a bit chancy.

i bought a pair of lovely royal blue cotton trousers, but something leaked in my bag, it was grease. I washed them straight away, but alas the stain was still there. So this time I massaged Fairy liquid into the area and washed again; now there's a small amount of stain left, but it is noticeable. What can I do now?

By Mandy

Anonymous

I just read somewhere a couple of days ago that someone easily removed a grease stain from already laundered clothing by rubbing in a mixture of dawn dishsoap and the thick paste that mechanics use to remove grease from their hands (sorry, can't remember off hand what the paste is called). A local mechanic or oil and lube change place in your area would probably be happy to donate a teaspoon or two of the paste to you.

I recently applied flea/tick drops to my dog's back. Not long after, I forgot and snuggled up next to her back. Now I have this oily stain on my tee shirt and can't get it out. Any suggestions?

By Cricket P.

Pears Bar soap works great on just that type of oil..Works really good on polyester material as well. Rub the spot with damped bar & wash as usual.

Just recently as I was eating a quesadilla, grease spilled out of the end of the piece I was eating and spilled on my shorts. The shorts are 100% cotton. I washed them once and hang dried them and the stains are still there. Any ideas on the best method to remove the stain?

Thanks in advance,

Brandon

Hi Brandon,

We are doing a project on this subject. Tide does NOT work.

Baking soda works on a vegetable oil stain. But, not on a car oil stain. We recommend you to try cornstarch. It's the best solution we tried yet. Good luck with the stain.

My son has a red Ohio State hoodie and got grease on it from his job. He washed and dried it in hopes that the grease would come out. It didn't come out.

He had asked me to see if I could get it out, I used carbon tec (the chemical the dry cleaners use), after I sprayed it with that, I used a toothbrush on it, then sprayed it with Simple Green scrubbed it again with the toothbrush. I washed and dried it in hopes to getting the stain out.

Is the stain in there forever or is there something else I can use to get the grease out?

By Chris T. from Sagamore Hills, OH

PineSol directly on the spot washed in warm water will get out any grease stain including ball point pen! For a dirty stain, you might have to do a bit of rubbing, but when I get those grease stains on clothing, I just pretreat with Pinesol and then wash. It smells a bit piney, but it gets out the grease better than anything else I've tried.

I just got black grease from our garage door on my new nylon/down ski jacket.
How do I get it off?
Thanks so much!

I have some really difficult set in stains in some shirts. The stains I believe are grease and dirt. I have tried OxiClean, and other stain removers, but have not been able to get out these stains. I have even washed these shirts in hot water. Can you possibly offer a solution?

By Anthony from Greenville, SC

Try Go Jo hand cleaner. Purchase at Wal-Mart or automotive stores.

How do I remove set in grease stains?

By sblevins71 from Creston, NC

Thanks to Mary Hunt and her Everyday Cheapstake newsletter, I discovered Soilove. I had shirts with grease stains from cooking that I could no longer wear except around the house. They had been washed and dried numerous times.

I ordered the Soilove on-line from Soaps Gone Buy

and could not believe that these set in stains disappeared after just one treatment!

The web site is soapsgonebuy.com

Hope this helps you as much as it did me.

There are, I don't know how many, grease spots on the back and front of my Detroit Tiger jersey which is made of polyester and is white what the Old English D in blue and blue trimming. How can I get the grease spots out?

By Warren

I have had great success using Shout Advanced is the squeeze spray bottle. Spray it, let it sit overnight and then wash it in cold water and see if it takes care of the problem. Do not dry it in a dryer or use hot water until you have removed the stain. Hot anything will set the stain permanently.

I need a stain remover to take out set in oil and grease stains. Any suggestions?

By Judy S.

What kind of clothing article is this?

How do I removed grease stains from clothes, all types of material?

By pussycat from Birmingham, England

Answer Was this helpful? 2

Dawn dishwashing liquid will remove grease and other stains; just be sure to not use the one with bleach.

The cheapest way is to buy the hand cleaner that mechanics use to clean their hands with. Some of it is called Goop or Go-Jo and there are also cheaper off brands that work; just rub a little into the stain and wash as usual.

If the item is nylon, plain old Crisco or cheaper stuff will remove black auto grease; this is tried and true by me.

Hope one of these works for you.

How do you remove old grease stains from clothing?

By Sandra from Cyprus

I work at a Seamtress shop and we get allot of grease stains out with ease out. Sold at Fabricville and maybe other material and craft stores. I've seen it get grease out of garments previously sent out to dry cleaners. This may help.

Is there a good homemade formula for removing chocolate or grease stains from cotton clothing?

By Tracy from Kansas City, MO

Years ago I read a tip about using cheap shampoo to remove ring around the collar. I figured if shampoo would remove that 'grease and grime' it would also remove grease splatters from cooking. It 'does' work for that, and lots of other stuff too. I'm not sure about the chocolate, but it's worth a try.

My husband was given a really nice heavy pair of coveralls, but they are covered everywhere with stains. I'm not sure what kind, but it looks like grease and oil. Is there a product that I can soak them in to get rid of some of the stains? Thanks.

By Ardis F.

How do you remove an oil based stain from a white t shirt?

By Krystal S

Apply a liquid dish soap as Dawn to the spot and allow it to soak in. A little water may speed the process. Then launder the shirt. Do not add additional soap as you will have a mountain of suds. It may take a couple of treatments to remove all the oil, but I have always had success.

How do I remove turkey grease from 95% cotton and 5% polyester clothing?

By Val

I use Shout for this type of stain. A cirtus cleaner made from orange peel also works well on Grease stains. Best to treat before laundering if you can.

I got a grease spot on a fave dress, treated it with my stain remover and washed it. And washed it. The spot is lighter, but still there. How do I remove it? Please help.

By Melinda D.

I work on cranes so I get a lot of grease on my shirts. My girlfriend gets the grease out, but I still have brown stains were the grease was. What can I use to remove the brown stains?

By Sheila

I got heavy equipment grease on my cream colour jacket (polyester shell). I washed it, but the grease is still there. How do I clean it? Thank you.

By Carter B.

I've tried simple green, I've used the orange hand wash you use to remove grease stains, I've used dish soap. Nothing is taking the grease out of my jacket. What do I do?

Answers:

Removing Grease Stain - Tried Lots of Things

I've had a lot of luck with dishwashing liquid (not the kind for dishwashers, the kind used for hand washing dishes). Just put a bit on, rub in and wash. It works on set in stains, also. Really bad ones may need two washings. (01/03/2005)

By Susan

Lestoil; it smells strong, but because it has petroleum distillates, it will remove any grease stain. Just apply it directly, let it soak in for a few minutes, then wash normally (warm to hot water). You may need to rewash to remove the odor. (01/04/2005)

By Kathy

As a last resort, ammonia has been very effective for me. You can pour it directly on the stain then launder as usual. You can also put a cup or two into your load of laundry. (01/04/2005)

By Faye

Spray with WD40 then wash as usual. This works great for all my grease stains. (01/04/2005)

By Leanne

Try Dawn dish soap. When I have what seems to be impossible grease stains, I liberally spread Dawn, wait 5 minutes and wash. I have never had a stain get passed the Dawn dishsoap. (01/04/2005)

By Karen

If it is on something you do not want to wash, try putting powder on the stain. Let it set for several hours and brush it off. Repeat until oil/grease is absorbed and gone. (01/04/2005)

By toni k.

Spray and Wash works for me. Spray it on, wait an hour, wash like normal. (01/22/2007)

By Mandee

Yes, Dawn dish liquid or Coca Cola. Both are great stain relievers for grease. (09/09/2007)

By Mary

Try using lighter fuel, it actually says on the bottle that its great for removing grease, oil, and tar. (02/01/2008)

By Sacha

Leather will eventually dissipate oil and grease of its own accord. An excess can be carefully removed from durable leathers with mineral spirits or kerosene on a cloth. (Don't use anything highly flammable like gasoline or cigarette lighter fluid, and always ensure adequate ventilation until fumes are gone.) (10/23/2008)

By Red Neck

Gasoline. I used it several times for the many times. I got grease gunk on different outfits. (02/24/2009)

By Negi

How do I remove grease stains on colors after washing? They are mostly on cotton blends.

By Millie from NH

Answers:

Removing Grease Stains from Clothing

I get good results from Shout. I hear Dawn is also good. Give it a try. (10/02/2010)

By louel53

Removing Grease Stains from Clothing

I used Goo-Gone on a pair of jeans that had huge grease stains that had been washed and dried twice. It got the stains out perfectly! (12/26/2010)

By Renee

How do I get grease splatters out of a shirt?

By Cheryl

Answers:

Removing Grease Stains from Clothing

I'd try Dawn dishwashing liquid first. Let it set and then use a toothbrush to get rid of the stain.

If you can buy a product called "Lestoil" go for it; it works great on grease stains.

This one probably won't help you much, but I used to use Safeguard white bar soap to get axle grease out of clothing and hats. Try it.

Try using shampoo; a clear kind not a kind with conditioners. It's made to cut grease.

Good luck! (06/10/2010)

By metroplex

Removing Grease Stains from Clothing

Try Cascade dishwashing granules, rub them in, then wash as usual. (06/14/2010)

By mollyring

Removing Grease Stains from Clothing

I have good luck using Go Jo or Goop found in the automotive department at Wal-Mart. Rub some in the spot and leave for about 5 or 10 minutes and then wash as usual. Good luck. (06/15/2010)

By Angel Lady

Removing Grease Stains from Clothing

Castille soap. It's awesome. I had a dark t-shirt with some old grease stains that I thought was destined for rag-hood, and then I remembered castille soap, it effortlessly removed oil-paints and bicycle-grease from hands. Anyway, I rubbed some into the grease splotches, waited a day, and then just washed it in the laundry as usual. Magic, those splotches came out. Even better, castille soap is all-natural, and it's known to have a tremendous amount of uses (even as toothpaste!). You can get it at any health food store. Good luck! (07/07/2010)

By isha13

How do I get grease or oil stains out of my cotton clothes after they've been laundered? They've been washed and dried. Some have had the iron run over them before I realized what I was doing.

By Cricketnc from Parkton, NC

Answers:

Grease Stains on Clothes

I use Tresseme's deep cleansing shampoo. It works for me. I just rub some on the spot and wash. Works with an old grease spot, too. (06/03/2009)

By rforbes

Grease Stains on Clothes

A capfull of Krud Kutter in the wash should easily remove the stains. (06/04/2009)

By TJest

Grease Stains on Clothes

You can try Lestoil on them. Put some on and let sit for a while, then launder as usual. Lestoil is found where the cleaning supplies are in the store. (06/06/2009)

By Coll3

Grease Stains on Clothes

Totally Awesome from the Dollar Tree store works, also. (06/06/2009)

By Merlene

Grease Stains on Clothes

If the stains are from grease, you can use any cheap shampoo on them. It is also great for removing ring-around-the-collar, if it removes excess oils from your hair, it will do the same for your clothes.

Another option is Dawn dish detergent. Just be sure to use the regular Dawn on everything colored and not the one with bleach. My friend ruined her son's khaki Dockers when she accidentally used Dawn with bleach on them.
Good luck. (06/06/2009)

By indianlady

Grease Stains on Clothes

I just recently found at our local auto parts store, Greased Lightning. The stuff is like a wonder cleaner. There are actually three different formulations that I've found locally. One is in a purple bottle. One is in a white bottle. And the third is in a clear bottle. The stuff in the purple bottle works like magic. You should be able to find it at Auto Zone if you have one nearby.

The stuff in the white bottle is good for using on clothes to remove stains and general household cleaning. I found it at Dollar General in the cleaning supplies. The orange stuff in the clear bottle, well I haven't found a good use for it yet. It does smell good though. Maybe it would make a good air freshener? The company that makes it also offers coupons for their products. To get engine grease out of your clothes, simple spray the cleaner on and rinse off. (07/02/2009)

By Blissful

Grease Stains on Clothes

I read lots of answers to this question on several different websites and one of them said to soak the clothing item in a detergent containing enzymes. I looked around my house and the only detergent that contained enzymes was Cascade. So, first I rubbed a little Dawn dish soap on the spot, which was also recommended, and then soaked my t-shirt in a tub of cold water mixed with Dawn and Cascade overnight. I don't actually know if it was one or the other or both, but after rinsing my shirt thoroughly with cold water, and letting it hang dry, the grease stain is totally gone! I should mention this was a 100% cotton t-shirt and it had already been through the wash and dryer the day before, so the stain had already "set in". (09/05/2009)

By Anonymous

Load More