Ask a QuestionHere are the questions asked by community members. Read on to see the answers provided by the ThriftyFun community or ask a new question.
Is it harmful to add bleach to the water in your humidifier?
By Kim from Leominster, MA
Bleach is an irritant. The fumes are unpleasant and can pose a health hazard. Undiluted, bleach is corrosive and will damage many surfaces such as skin and fabrics. So I would not do it.
Don't run the humidifier with any bleach in it (it's VERY bad for your lungs to breath it!) but do clean your humidifier once a week with bleach-water (to kill mold spores)! Vinegar can also be used to clean it.
* If you'd like to add something to your humidifier, you can add one drop of tea-tree oil (only occasionally) or if you have a cold or flu you can add a drop or 2 of eucalyptus or mint oil or a teaspoon of the old fashioned Amber colored Listerine (it has eucalyptus and menthol in it), but don't use the blue mint or citrus Listerine because they have a sweetener added which can encourage mold growth.
It's harmful to breathe in bleach under any circumstance!
The Wal-mart in our area sells an additive to keep the water in a humidifier clean from mold and bacteria. It is fairly inexpensive. One bottle usually lasts awhile. I believe the manufacturer is Holmes. A humidifier should be disinfected every 4-6 weeks or when needed. I use a mix of bleach and water, rinsing thoroughly before using.
Bleach will attack rubber parts of your humidifier, like seals and gaskets. It's OK to use a mild bleach solution for disinfecting while you clean, but you don't want to expose the parts to it long-term.
I think so. What is it you are trying to accomplish?
If your problem is mold, either see how much you can clean with a soap and bleach solution and do it weekly, or find out of there is something else to do by finding the 800 consumer satisfaction number for the brand and talk to them.
Chlorine is poisonous to people and animals and very irritating to the breathing passages. Now how much bleach you meant I don't know but I wouldn't go blasting it into your room.
Thanks ya'll, that answered my questions.
only if you want to destroy the cilia and delicate mucosa lining your airways