Riding Lawn Mower Won't Start

Mowing the grass is one of the rites of summer, but now your mower won't start. There are many things that can cause a riding mower to refuse to fire up. This is a guide about troubleshooting a riding lawn mower that won't start.

Man tinkering with a riding mower.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

My Husqvarna riding mower turns engine good, but it does not start every time. I try later and it starts and runs great. I changed the fuel filter and use new clean fuel every time. It also has a new air filter and new spark plug.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have a Poulan Pro riding lawn mower. It will turn over, but won't start. We checked the fuses and it has gas in it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I would suggest new spark plug and fresh gas. You could also take our the spark plug, spray some starter fluid in, put plug back in and try starting again.

I have a John Deere L110 lawn mower that will not start or even turn over. I replaced the spark plug and charged the battery, but still it would not make a sound. What do I do?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have a John Deere 100 series lawn tractor. I started it up after a long period of inactivity. It only ran for a while, backfired loudly, shut off, and won't start again. What could be wrong?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I replaced the battery and solenoid and the mower still won't start. It clicks like a car would if the starter was bad.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My mower just clicks when you turn the switch on. It has a new battery and belts. It only stated for a few seconds and died. Now all it does is click when you try to crank it.

By Preston

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
            Best Answer

The fact that it just "clicks" when you try to turn it over may mean that the engine has seized up. Lack of oil mixed in the gas could lead to this. Also, you may want to try to replace the carburetor. Plenty of "How-to" sites on Utube and choose a reputable online business for mower parts and they should allow you to return carburetor if that is not the problem.

Read More Answers...

I have a 19hp Kohler engine on a riding mower. I put a new battery on it, but it just clicks. I put a screw driver to both posts on the solenoid, but it just arcs and smokes. Any suggestions would be helpful.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I was mowing on my JD 445 when I hit a stump with the front of the mower deck. The tractor immediately cut off! I disengaged the blades and then tried to start it. It is dead as a door nail. My husband checked the battery cables/fuse. All OK. What could have happened?
              Thank you!

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

you sheared the keyway and flyrod

Read More Answers...

I was mowing and the mower shut off. It still had plenty of gas. I changed the fuses, but all the engine did was click. The battery is fully charged. I crossed the posts on the solenoid with pliers, the engine cranked, but when I turn with the key there is only clicking. Is it maybe the ignition module?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

we had this problem and it was the fuel injector for us

Read More Answers...

I have a Husqvarna 42" riding mower and the fly wheel keeps spinning; it won't start. Any suggestion? Please? Thank you.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Woodruff key is broken, or bottom of carburetor needs work.

I changed the oil filter, added new oil, new carburator, new spark plug, new fuel filter, new battery, new air filter, and new gas, but it still will not start. The flywheel is turning over, the muffler puffs occasionally when I choke, but nothing happens. I am stumped. I poured a teaspoon of gas in the spark plug area to see if there was fuel constraint which resulted in a few coughs through the muffler. What do I do next? any suggestions? Thank you!

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

could be the switch under the seat is bad. it can tell if you get off the mower and shuts off the engine.you can bypass with a short piece of wire

Read More Answers...

My Murray 12/38 riding lawn mower won't crank over. It has a new battery and solenoid? Help?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Check the fuse under the seat for the safety switch(that makes the mower cut off if you get off the seat) I think mine was a blue fuse.

Read More Answers...

I have a Briggs and Station 14.5 42in and it won't start. It acted like it wanted to start, then just stop making any noise. I charged the battery and it has 1/4 tank of gas. Still nothing. Any ideas?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I had same problem for two years. had to buy new push mower. Sears came out the following year and found the ground wire attached to mower frame came loose. You can not start engine without a ground. I did the same as you but bought two new battery thinking that would work.

Read More Answers...

I have a Poulan PB195H42LT and I am unable to get it to turn over. There is no click or any other noise. The battery is fully charged and it was running good the previous day. I checked the user's manual and it suggested that it might be the fuse, but I have been unable to find it. The manual said that it was located in the seat with the safety switch, but we took the seat completely off and we could not find it. Is there any other place that we might look? Also, if the seat safety switch is unplugged, will the mower start?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I found the answer to one of my questions. The fuse is located beneath the solenoid, clipped onto the frame. There is a red wire going into it and one coming out of it. Fuse is good and it still will not turn over.

I have model#42514XBA. It has a new battery, but won't turn over and there is no clicking? What could be the problem?

By Cathy from Starke, FL

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Check the fuse connection under the seat, it is for the seat safety switch. It may have became disconnected or blew the fuse.

Read More Answers...

I have a Yard Machine 17.5 hp. Briggs motor. It turns over slowly and won't start. It has a new battery, new spark plug, new fuel line, and filter. I checked for loose wires. I tried to jump it directly from the positive battery post to starter, but it still turns over slowly and won't fire.

By Denis

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Needs valve adjustment for sure. Google search gap for your motor and how to on Youtube. Trust me that will fix the slow crank. Many people buy new batteries every year and don't really need them.

Read More Answers...

I have a 11.5 hp Murray riding mower, model number 387000x92a. The starter, carburetor, and fuel filter were recently replaced. I cut 90 recent of the yard when the mower went through high grass and cut off. When I tried to restart it makes a spinning sound, but will not start. It made the sound earlier when I ran out of gas, but I got it started. I have a Tecumseh engine. What is the problem with this riding lawnmower?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Did you check and clean the spark plug? Sometimes a little dirt/grass can prevent it from starting. That happened to my own one time. It started right up afterward.

I had it tuned up two years ago and was told the engine and machine was in great shape. However, when I went to start it this season, it will not crank over or make a grunt/noise. The battery is fully charged and it has fresh gas. I jumped the two wires going directly to the starter and got no response. Is there something else I can do before having to replace the starter?

By ELC

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
                            Best Answer

Check the fuses.

It just keeps turning over and if you put fuel down the carb there are a couple of pops, but it still won't start up. It just keeps cranking over. I changed the spark plug and there is fire. The carb is clean.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I would check the gas line filter and it wouldn't hurt to also clean the air filter.

I have spark, I can smell the fuel, it appears to have compression, but still won't start. There is a new battery, it turns over with good power, but won't start. What else should I check?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Check the oil

I have a John Deere 135 automatic. The solenoid clicks, but it won't start. The battery is good.

AnswerMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes
                                Load More
                                Home and Garden Repair Machines Lawn MowersAugust 18, 2011
                                Photo of a push lawn mower.
                                Fixing a Lawn Mower That Won't Start
                                Riding Lawn Mower
                                Repairing a Troy-Bilt Riding Lawn Mower
                                Man Fixing Mower
                                Mower Won't Start
                                Craftsman Riding Mower
                                Craftsman Riding Mower Won't Start
                                © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 1, 2016 at 4:06:14 PM on 10.0.1.249 in 774 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.