Browsing: Riding Lawn Mower Won't Start

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Riding Lawn Mower Won't Start

Mowing the grass is one of the rites of summer, but now your mower won't start. There are many things that can cause a riding mower to refuse to fire up. This is a guide about troubleshooting a riding lawn mower that won't start.

Man tinkering with a riding mower.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

June 4, 2016 Flag

I have a Poulan Pro riding lawn mower. I had it sitting for over a year and it work great before storage. I took it out of storage and it tried to fire-up, but it wouldn't. So, I cleaned the carburetor, changed the plug, and replaced the battery. Now it won't turn over at all. I get absolutely nothing when I turn the key. I checked the fuses and it has good gas in it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Same problem

Read More Answers...

July 15, 2016 Flag

I bought a brand new Husqvarna riding mower. I used it for a month and then stored it in the storage for the winter. Now it won't start. So I used a jumper cable and it started fine, but once I turn it off it won't start unless I use the jumper cable again! Any idea what's wrong with it?

If your battery is good, then it is ikely a failed voltage regulator. Take your battery to advance auto parts once charged fully. They will test it for free usually. (At least in Georgia.)

Read More Answers...

February 23, 2014 Flag

My mower just clicks when you turn the switch on. It has a new battery and belts. It only stated for a few seconds and died. Now all it does is click when you try to crank it.

By Preston

Best Answer

The fact that it just "clicks" when you try to turn it over may mean that the engine has seized up. Lack of oil mixed in the gas could lead to this. Also, you may want to try to replace the carburetor. Plenty of "How-to" sites on Utube and choose a reputable online business for mower parts and they should allow you to return carburetor if that is not the problem.

Read More Answers...

January 5, 2016 Flag

I was mowing on my JD 445 when I hit a stump with the front of the mower deck. The tractor immediately cut off! I disengaged the blades and then tried to start it. It is dead as a door nail. My husband checked the battery cables/fuse. All OK. What could have happened?
Thank you!

Make sure grass chute is on properly and button is depressed.

Read More Answers...

June 14, 2016 Flag

My 1998 MTD 20hp special edition will not start. It winds over and it has fire and gas. What can be the problem?

I have a stx 38 John Deere that turns over and has gas and fire but won't start up, how can I get it to crank???

Read More Answers...

April 14, 2016 Flag

I have a John Deere L110 lawn mower that will not start or even turn over. I replaced the spark plug and charged the battery, but still it would not make a sound. What do I do?

I have a John Deere 100 series riding lawn more it will not start crying or do anything

Read More Answers...

August 9, 2016 Flag

I have a riding lawn mower that acts like it wants to start, but doesn't. It has a new carb, new spark plug, new battery, new starter, and a new starter solenoid. What's wrong with it?

July 19, 2016 Flag

My Murray 17hp Briggs, starts great when cold. If I shut the machine down and start right away, it will usually start, but if I leave for 5 minutes or more it won't. It seems to be dumping a lot of gas into the carb. If I wait a period, an hour or 2, it cranks back up.

May 13, 2016 Flag

I have a 2003 Bolens riding mower, model #13AN683G163 which will not start. This began over a year ago, when I thought it was the battery. I replaced the battery and the mower started, but the battery would drain and have to be charged to be used again.

This year, it would not start even after charging. I replaced the solenoid, the spark plug, and the gas and air filters. The fuse under the seat is OK, and the gasoline is new. I have cleaned and lubricated what I believe is the starter, which is on the side of the engine, and often the mower does start.

Now, however, when I turn on the key, the flywheel turns a little, but the mower does not start. I have checked schematics online and even called Bolens, but I cannot find a starter, and Bolens has told me that there is no part called the starter. Any ideas?

Bolens co. Just makes the lawnmower not the engine Briggs & Stratton does try to get ahold of a parts store and get the serial number off the engine and send it in to the parts store and get the starter that goes to the engine

Read More Answers...

August 4, 2016 Flag

My Husqvarna lawn mower won't start. I have now replaced the battery and solenoid and 20 amp fuse and still nothing when key is turned on. It shut off yesterday when my wife was cutting the grass and now is silent as a sleeping newborn baby when the key is turned on.

August 2, 2016 Flag

I was putting my Husqvarna riding mower up, it started fine, but after about 20 seconds it totally shut down. I put a new solenoid on and checked the battery; it is good. What would it be?

July 31, 2016 Flag

I just replaced the starter and solenoid. I also put a new stack pulley assembly on, put all the belts on and started it a couple of times. Now all I here is nothing when I turn the key. I replaced the key switch and the battery. Any suggestions? Please help.

Load More
Home and Garden Repair Machines Lawn MowersAugust 18, 2011
Photo of a push lawn mower.
Fixing a Lawn Mower That Won't Start
Riding Lawn Mower
Repairing a Troy-Bilt Riding Lawn Mower
Man Fixing Mower
Mower Won't Start
Craftsman Riding Mower
Craftsman Riding Mower Won't Start
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 25, 2016 at 9:20:14 AM on 10.0.2.96 in 7 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.