Riding Lawn Mower Won't Start

Mowing the grass is one of the rites of summer, but now your mower won't start. There are many things that can cause a riding mower to refuse to fire up. This is a guide about troubleshooting a riding lawn mower that won't start.

Man tinkering with a riding mower.
Filter Sort

Question: John Deere 112 Riding Mower Won't Start

By Bailey 1

I have a 1979 John Deere 112 riding mower. It is not getting a spark. I tried changing the plug, but it still won't fire.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Mower Won't Start

I have a Briggs and Station 14.5 42in and it won't start. It acted like it wanted to start, then just stop making any noise. I charged the battery and it has 1/4 tank of gas. Still nothing. Any ideas?

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By david johnnson 1 Flag

I had same problem for two years. had to buy new push mower. Sears came out the following year and found the ground wire attached to mower frame came loose. You can not start engine without a ground. I did the same as you but bought two new battery thinking that would work.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Lawn Tractor Won't Start

I have a John Deere LA125. I bought it new in 2009. After sitting unused in the garage for the winter (5 months) I couldn't get get it to run. The engine wouldn't turn. There was either a clicking sound when turning the key or no sound at all. I changed the spark plug - nothing. I boosted the battery and it ran. I was able to cut the lawn then turned it off. A few minutes later, I tried to start it and it wouldn't start again. I have to boost the battery each time. Any ideas?

By Mike L.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By asjrinz 1 Flag

From the Service Bulletin:

John Deere 100 series

Complaint or symptom:

- nothing happens when you turn key to start position.

- solenoid clicks when you turn key to start position.

- solenoid moves but starter drive gear does not engage flywheel.

- battery and starter pass technical manual tests.

problem:

voltage drops between battery and starter solenoid.

solution:

1. install relay kit (am107421). installation instructions +(m77862)+ are provided with

kit. grease terminals with mpg2 grease (m79292).

+(2. if relay kit does not resolve, cleaning and inspection of battery posts, cables, and

electrical connection is required to elimiante voltage drop. grease connections with

mpg-2 to prevent corrosion.)+

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Yard Machine Mower Won't Start

I have a Yard Machine 17.5 hp. Briggs motor. It turns over slowly and won't start. It has a new battery, new spark plug, new fuel line, and filter. I checked for loose wires. I tried to jump it directly from the positive battery post to starter, but it still turns over slowly and won't fire.

By Denis

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Don P. 1 Flag

Needs valve adjustment for sure. Google search gap for your motor and how to on Youtube. Trust me that will fix the slow crank. Many people buy new batteries every year and don't really need them.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Mower Won't Start

My mower just clicks when you turn the switch on. It has a new battery and belts. It only stated for a few seconds and died. Now all it does is click when you try to crank it.

By Preston

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Best Answer

By Starzilla 1 Flag

The fact that it just "clicks" when you try to turn it over may mean that the engine has seized up. Lack of oil mixed in the gas could lead to this. Also, you may want to try to replace the carburetor. Plenty of "How-to" sites on Utube and choose a reputable online business for mower parts and they should allow you to return carburetor if that is not the problem.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Riding Lawn Mower Won't Start

By axel 1

I have a Husqvarna 42" riding mower and the fly wheel keeps spinning; it won't start. Any suggestion? Please? Thank you.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By TigerEyes 10 36 Flag

Woodruff key is broken, or bottom of carburetor needs work.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Mower Won't Restart After Hitting a Stump

I have a Murry Select 17.5 HP 42 inch cut mower. I hit a stump and the mower stopped right away, my husband changed the blades yesterday, charged the battery last night and went to start it today and nothing. It doesn't even try to start.
      The kill switch from what we understand had been disconnected by the person we got it from, but if you touch the two wires together it causes a short that will turn the mower off. Please help.

By Bonnie

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By silverwolf311420 1 Flag

I'm having a very similar issue with my murray mower, but I don't know where the kill switch is even located at.

My mower ran without any issues one day while cutting the grass but while going to put it up it started to run very rough and wouldn't start after that, it even burned out starter wire so I rebuilt the starter, replaced the key switch and still nothing.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Poulan Pro 42 Inch Won't Turn Over

I have a 42 inch Poulan Pro riding mower that won't even turn over. The battery is fully charged and I hear a click, but then nothing happens. It seems like the electric starter might be bad, but I'm not sure. Any suggestions?

By Terry F

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Deanj 917 Flag

Maybe a better explanation of my situation will help. I bought a brand new John Deere LA120. After a few uses it would not start or I would get a click sound or it would just turn over once or twice then nothing. I thought it was the battery or an open ground causing the problem.

A newer high amp battery may not change anything. I carefully checked out all the wiring. Nothing. I asked a dealer. He said it was the valves out of alignment. I thought he was crazy. I checked with a second dealer and he said the same thing. He said they could adjust the valves but I would be back next year with the same problem.

His suggestion was to rotate the air intake counter clockwise that sat on top of the engine until I felt resistance then it should start. I rotated the air intake as he suggested and could feel the resistance and hear the cylinders and valves moving. Then it started right up. So that is how I have to start the thing every time.

Sometimes I have to turn the air intake clockwise for it to start. The air cleaner is the screen disc that sits on top of the engine and rotates when the engine is running.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Lawnmower Has No Spark at Plug

By Tom 1

My L110 John Deere mower has no spark at the plug wire. What could be the problem?

By Tom from Marblefalls, TX

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Bill 5 Flag

Ive been a small engine tech for about 20 years.

It sounds like you have a bad coil.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Toro Riding Lawn Mower Won't Start

By kyle 1

I have a Toro Wheel Horse riding mower. I started it and pulled the choke up all the way really fast and now it will not start at all. I have replaced the battery but when I tried to start it, it just smoked. Then I thought it was flooded so I took the spark plug out and put it back in and then it just did not make any noise. Now I am trying to find out what is wrong with it.

By Kyle from Williamstown, PA

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By jim 7 Flag

If it smoked when you turned the key on and now nothing at all you'll probably find a blown 12 system fuse hid somewhere where you cant see it. if it is a blown fuse you have a direct short on the 12 volt line somewhere. When you find your short your mower will probably be fine then. Hope I could help if you need help finding the short list what model mower it is and ill try to find schematics for it on line and maybe make a couple suggestions.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Riding Mower Won't Restart

By Mike D. 1

I was mowing and the mower shut off. It still had plenty of gas. I changed the fuses, but all the engine did was click. The battery is fully charged. I crossed the posts on the solenoid with pliers, the engine cranked, but when I turn with the key there is only clicking. Is it maybe the ignition module?

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Mdonker 1 3 Flag

we had this problem and it was the fuel injector for us

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Mower Turning Over But Not Starting

By calle 1

I changed the oil filter, added new oil, new carburator, new spark plug, new fuel filter, new battery, new air filter, and new gas, but it still will not start. The flywheel is turning over, the muffler puffs occasionally when I choke, but nothing happens. I am stumped. I poured a teaspoon of gas in the spark plug area to see if there was fuel constraint which resulted in a few coughs through the muffler. What do I do next? any suggestions? Thank you!

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Troy W. 2 Flag

could be the switch under the seat is bad. it can tell if you get off the mower and shuts off the engine.you can bypass with a short piece of wire

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Murray Riding Mower Won't Start

By lluviano03 1

My Murray 12/38 riding lawn mower won't crank over. It has a new battery and solenoid? Help?

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Cheryl 15 24 Flag

Check the fuse under the seat for the safety switch(that makes the mower cut off if you get off the seat) I think mine was a blue fuse.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

I have model#42514XBA. It has a new battery, but won't turn over and there is no clicking? What could be the problem?

By Cathy from Starke, FL

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Cheryl 15 24 Flag

Check the fuse connection under the seat, it is for the seat safety switch. It may have became disconnected or blew the fuse.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Huskee Riding Mower Won't Start

My Huskee riding mower will turn over and it sounds like it's spinning really fast. I was mowing the lawn and it made a big pop and died. Now all it will do is spin really fast, but not fire up. Can you help me?

By PD

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By tinman218 1 Flag

Probably sheared the key between crankshaft and flywheel.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Poulan Pro Mower Won't Start

My Poulan Pro mower will not turn over, nothing. I replaced the battery; fuse is good. How do I test the starter?

By Roger

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Jason H. 3 Flag

Try testing the solenoid heres a video on how to www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsvJMnpQBas

You might also have a faulty safety switch. Hope it helps.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Yard Machine MTD 17.5/hp Riding Mower Will Not Start

By eloricaldwell 1

I had it tuned up two years ago and was told the engine and machine was in great shape. However, when I went to start it this season, it will not crank over or make a grunt/noise. The battery is fully charged and it has fresh gas. I jumped the two wires going directly to the starter and got no response. Is there something else I can do before having to replace the starter?

By ELC

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Best Answer

By Donna E. Frye 2 6 Flag

Check the fuses.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Riding Mower Won't Restart When Hot

I have a MTD rider, 42 inch. It won't restart when hot. I replaced the ignition switch, solenoid, and coil. At first it starts right up. If I finish cutting the lawn and shut it off, then it won't restart. I need to wait until it cools down; then it starts.

By ED T.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Rallen 1 Flag

I had this problem with a 18.5 hp Poulan Pro for years and it was very annoying in that: We are in the southeast and we want our grass cut before the heat comes. We had a professional law repairman to replace all of the things you named and the Poulan started running real good for 20 minutes and then we had better have a pushmower or swingblade around. I read someone's post and the post said the carburetor components were causing this problem. I went to Ebay and bidded on a new briggs and stratton carburetor for $57.00, and now that cut off problem is gone.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Riding Mower Won't Start

I have an YTH 1842 Husqvarna. When I go to engage the mower every once in awhile it doesn't turn on.

By Brian

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By jonathanha 1 3 Flag

Maybe you need a new battery.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Riding Mower Won't Start Without Spraying Gas into Carburetor

I have a riding mower with a Kohler engine. My starter is good, there is a new coil. It's getting gas through both lines on the pump, but won't run unless we keep spraying gas in the carburetor. Any idea why the gas is not getting into the carburetor?

By Richard

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Karen 2 5 Flag

My husband says sounds like the needle seat is stuck shut.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Columbia Riding Mower Won't Start

I have a Columbia riding mover with a 12hp with I/C (industrial/commercial) engine; there is no spark. Do you have any ideas what the problem could be?

By HC

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Aaron S. T. 1 Flag

Take the spark plug wire, pull it out of the sleeve, and press it to the frame. Turn the ignition. If it sparks, you have spark, your plug is bad. If not, your magnet isn't making contact.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Poulan Pro Riding Lawn Mower Won't Start

By carla 1

We have 2004 Poulan Pro 18.5 hp, 42 inch cut. I got it out to start the mowing and it won't start. The starter will engage, but will not crank. When we put the jump cable to the starter it spins. Does anyone have any ideas what my problem may be? I would greatly appreciate it. I'm 67, live on my little SS check and unemployment with no work in sight. Thanks a bunch.

By Carla from Winnabow, NC

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By thorca 1 Flag

I have a Polan Pro Riding mower. It will not start-no noise or anything. I replaced the selenoid, fuse, battery, and key switch. Still nothing. Can you give me any other suggestions. I have no way to get it to a shop so I am trying to fix it on my own.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Mower With a Briggs & Stratton Engine Won't Start

By gd21 1

I have a Briggs and Stratton 12hp engine in my ride on mower that will not start. I have replaced the battery and starter, and have cleaned the carburetor. The engine turns over slowly as if the battery is low on charge (although I have charged it up) and there is a good spark at the plug. I have tried jump leads off the car, but it does not help. Any ideas?

By gd21 from Sunshine Coast, Qld

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By poutokaipara 3 Flag

Also it might not be earthing properly when you replaced the starter motor and battery.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Powercraft Riding Lawnmower Won't Start

By michael garrett 1 2

I am trying to fix my MTD/Powercraft riding mower. It has an 18 HP I/C B+S motor, twin cylinder. 42a707 series. It has a hydrostatic transmission. The starter will not turn the motor to start it. I have put on a brand new starter and it still will not turn the motor. Even when I jump past all of the switches and solenoids and jumper straight from the pos (+) battery terminal to the starter, the starter still will not turn the engine.

The battery is fully charged and tested so I have ruled that out. My question is could it be that the transmission belts/blade belts are too tight? Should the transmission belts be disengaged when trying to start somehow? Right now the belts are very tight all the time and the engine is VERY hard to turn, even by hand. I know it is not a compression problem, I have taken the spark plugs out and the problem persists.

It is not an OHV engine so I am not inclined to believe that it is a valve problem. Should the clutch be disengaging the transmission belt? What exactly does the clutch do on these machines? This may be a very vague question, but I have been fooling with this tractor for a week now and I am at my wits end. If more info is needed, or questions arise please let me know. Help me if you can! Thanks.

By drumn4state from Peoria, IL

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Deanj 917 Flag

Well on my riding mower it has safety devices. One of which is the mower will not turn over unless I am sitting in the seat. If the mower is running and I leave the seat the mower will shut down. It is possible to over ride the safety device. If my battery is low I hook up my charger to the battery but I have to be in the seat for the mower to turn over. Once it starts I kick off the cables with my foot or have someone unhook the charger. I also use alligator clips instead of nuts and bolts to hook up the battery to the mower. makes it easier to disconnect the battery.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Poulan Mower Won't Start

By Gary M 1 2

I have a Poulan PB195H42LT and I am unable to get it to turn over. There is no click or any other noise. The battery is fully charged and it was running good the previous day. I checked the user's manual and it suggested that it might be the fuse, but I have been unable to find it. The manual said that it was located in the seat with the safety switch, but we took the seat completely off and we could not find it. Is there any other place that we might look? Also, if the seat safety switch is unplugged, will the mower start?

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Gary M 1 2 Flag

I found the answer to one of my questions. The fuse is located beneath the solenoid, clipped onto the frame. There is a red wire going into it and one coming out of it. Fuse is good and it still will not turn over.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Puertods 1

I have a 11.5 hp Murray riding mower, model number 387000x92a. The starter, carburetor, and fuel filter were recently replaced. I cut 90 recent of the yard when the mower went through high grass and cut off. When I tried to restart it makes a spinning sound, but will not start. It made the sound earlier when I ran out of gas, but I got it started. I have a Tecumseh engine. What is the problem with this riding lawnmower?

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Myrna 17 1,083 Flag

Did you check and clean the spark plug? Sometimes a little dirt/grass can prevent it from starting. That happened to my own one time. It started right up afterward.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Riding Mower Won't Start

By Adam K M. 1

It just keeps turning over and if you put fuel down the carb there are a couple of pops, but it still won't start up. It just keeps cranking over. I changed the spark plug and there is fire. The carb is clean.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Sherri 4 4 Flag

I would check the gas line filter and it wouldn't hurt to also clean the air filter.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Toro Rider Won't Start

By LLeak 1

I have spark, I can smell the fuel, it appears to have compression, but still won't start. There is a new battery, it turns over with good power, but won't start. What else should I check?

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By CaroleeRose 4 9 Flag

Check the oil

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: John Deere 135 Automatic Won't Start

I have a John Deere 135 automatic. The solenoid clicks, but it won't start. The battery is good.

By Brent

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By mitch.overton47 1 Flag

Your solenoid went out. Get a screw driver and cross the two ends of the solenoid, it will spark but your mower will turn over. Or your battery is dead or close to being dead.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Toro Riding Mower Won't Start

My mower has always drained the battery dead. I've replaced several times. Now I just put the charger on it prior to mowing. My problem is now, as soon as I connect the battery charger, the starter starts turning. I don't even have the key on. What is the problem here?

By Mark A. from St. Johns, MI

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Rob Powell 1 Flag

Your solenoid is stuck open. Bang it with a hammer or wrench or replace it. Easy fix but kind of hard to get too but look for a inspection cover and remove it to gain access to it. Best of luck.

Rob

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Troybuilt Riding Lawn Mower Won't Start

It was working fine. I transferred it from my daughter's house in Louisiana to Texas, knowing battery needed to be replaced. I tried to crank it when reaching Texas and it would not start. I purchased a new battery (good) and it still would not crank. It will not even turn over. Where would a shortage be from battery to starter? Please help, grandmother in Texas certainly needs a little help.

By Bert

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Jason H. 3 Flag

Battery to the starter would probably be the solenoid check out this video on how to test it

www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsvJMnpQBas

If it's fine you might have a faulty safety switch.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Lawn Mower Won't Start

My John Deere 400 won't start and doesn't make any noise or anything.

By Kristina

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Jason H. 3 Flag

Test your solenoid

And check all safety switches

Take a look at this video for how to test the solenoid

www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsvJMnpQBas

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Toro Riding Mower Won't Start

I have a Toro wheel horse 8-25. I cut the grass and it was fine. I went to cut the grass again and it would not start. It has fuel and cranks great. Any ideas? Thanks.

By Joe W.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By jlee121995 1 Flag

The problem could very well be the carb is plugged. You need to remove the carb, take the bowl off the bottom, and completely clean it with carb cleaner

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Simplicity Broadmoore Tractor Won't Start

My lawn tractor won't start without jump starting.

By Tim

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By ollie turnr 1 Flag

Yard machine riding mower will not start.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Riding Mower Won't Start

My Yard Machine riding mower won't start. I changed the coil 3 times, each time it was changed it runs a bit longer, eventually quits, cranks, but will not fire. I have talked to a couple mechanics and they have no idea!

By DL from Saskatchewan

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By mechanik 1 1 Flag

Hello there, I'm sorry to say I don't have a cure for you but I'm in the same boat. Originally when I first started to figure out why it didn't start it was a funny thing. I put an inline spark tester and crank it over and it seemed to have spark but when I just tried a new plug and laid it close to block or head and it had little to no spark.

So I took and replaced the coil which is also know as a ignition module or a magneto and after looking on u-tube for gap etc. It fired right up so I figured I fixed the problem.

Well the next week I decided to replace the drive belt and after completing that (which was no fun), I tried to start and after checking all the possibilities of something I possibly might have do it ended up to have the same symptoms and it points to the coil being bad again. So I'm going to write information down on paper this time so I know what readings I'm getting before, after with both the bad one and the new one.

In all my years of being an auto mechanic I worked on many small engines that have your basic coil/magneto that sits on side of most all of them and they all serve the same purpose. to create spark from magnetic rector wheels that when the flywheel turns around it meets the magneto and sparks the plug. It's fairly basic and generally easy to diagnose but like you it sounds like we have the same issue.

Right now I don't have an answer but I will find out and I'll let you know what I came up with. it's probably something to do with a power or ground issue. 7 out of ten times that ends up being the cause. Take care.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Lawn Tractor Won't Start

By BHall 1

My Briggs and Stratton 18.5 hp will not start, it won't turn over; it just clicks. I just replaced the solenoid and the battery is charged.

By BHall

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Christopher C. 1 Flag

Check for a proper grounding. Next see if your getting power from your battery to your starter.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Lawn Mower Engine Won't Crank

I have a Bolens mower. When starting, the flywheel turns rapidly, but the mower won't crank. Help please.

By Brad

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By lawntech1983 1 Flag

You need a let for the flywheel that's why it turns and no crank most likely. Hope that helps you.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Riding Mower Won't Start

I have a Poulan Pro 18.5 hp rideon mower with a Briggs and Stratton engine. Petrol has leaked into the oil and the engine will not start.
                    What is the cause and how do I fix the problem?

By Noel

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Shane W. 3 Flag

This happen a lot with all type of mowers best thing to do is put a shut off valve on your gas line coming from the gas tank.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Riding Mower Won't Start

I tried starting my riding mower and it would not start. It sounded like the starter, so I replaced the starter. It started right up, but the next time I went out to mow the grass the mower would not start. I replaced the battery, now all I get is a clicking sound and then a buzzing sound, again sounding like the starter. So I replaced the new starter with another new starter (not rebuilt) again it started right up. I again cut the grass, and the next morning being just curious I tried to start my mower and got nothing but clicking. Help. It is a Sear's 20hp Craftsman 42 inches.

By Jim H. from Foley, AL

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Small Engine Guy 1 Flag

Your engine has too much compression built up. You need to check the intake and exhaust valve clearances.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By kellar 1

I have a Toro riding mower with 16 HP B & S engine that sounded like it wanted to start but wouldn't. I thought maybe it was the battery, but the lights turned on. I tried to start again and it backfired. Now it won't even turn over. Any ideas?

By DK

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Chuck 7 3 Flag

Remove the spark plug and check a carbon build up. If found clean the plug. Check and rest the plug gap as required. Check for the smell of gas in the combustion chamber. If there is a strong smell of gas, leave the plug out until the gas Oder goes away.

Good luck.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Riding Mower Won't Start

Riding lawn mower won't start up. I changed the battery and spark plugs.

By deer

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Carol 5 44 Flag

Could be loose wire or bad wiring, bad starter or clogged fuel line. Does this mean, it will not turn over or what?

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Toro LX500 Won't Start

I have a Toro LX500 riding mower. My problem is that it won't start. When I turn the key, the top of the starter spins up and turns the flywheel just a little and then stops. Sometimes the top of the starter doesn't spin back down. It has a brand new, fully charged battery. I've had the starter off and if I jump the starter it spins just fine off the tractor. Do I need a new starter? I will gladly try any suggestion that someone has.

By Kassie

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By patdennahower 1 Flag

I have a Troy Bilt Pony 17.5 hp and it does the same thing. I took out the sparkplug and turned it over and discharged the gas from the cylinder. I got it too fire up and run but it did the same thing the next time I tried to start it. It floods and the compression is too high and won't let it turn over. I am trying to find out the reason why also. Any help would be appreciated.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Riding Mower Won't Start

When I try to start my mower the motor turns over about a full cycle and stops. It does this till my battery dies. I charged the battery and it does the same thing. Whats the deal here?

By slg

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Janette 91 153 Flag

Try spraying WD-40 in the carburator/air cleaner. Hope this helps. It worked for me.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Kohler Engine Mower Won't Start

By Timberjack 2

My Kohler engine 20 hp mower will not start. If you spray starting fluid into the filter, it will run for a few seconds and then it will not start. Can anyone help me? I believe it could be the carburetor. I am not sure because it is getting gas to the carburetor.

By crousedanny777@Gmail.com

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Janette 91 153 Flag

Try spraying WD-40 in the carburetor. It worked for me. Hope this helps.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Murry Riding Mower Won't Start

When I try to start it makes a click sound one time. I know it's not the battery because without the clutch down no noise. I turn the key 50 times and finally it will start. Please help.

By Tom

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Mike T. 1 Flag

Sounds like your starter has a dead spot. Seems like you need to replace the starter. Sorry

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: 125 John Deere Riding Mower Won't Fire Up

I can't get my 125 John Deere riding lawn mower to fire up. It has plenty of gas and the battery is fully charged.

By MMP

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

October 21, 2012 Flag

Take a look at the ground wire - the same thing happened to my Sears Craftsman mower - somehow, the ground wire broke and the mower wouldn't start or even turn over. My son reconnected the ground wire and it's been running OK since then.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: John Deere Riding Mower Won't Start

Our John Deere 160 riding lawn mower won't turn over. We have a new battery, and my husband put in a new starter solenoid. When he turns on the key, it just clicks. He and his friend jumped it last week so we could mow, but that didn't even work this time. Any suggestions?

By Cindy R

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Deanj 917 Flag

I have a JD 120 with the same problem. This how the JD told me to start the machine. The valves are out of alignment so on top of the engine is a round screen that spins and cools the engine when it is running. Turn the screen counterclockwise until you feel resistance then start it. When I do this most of the time the machine will start.

Other times I have to turn the screen several times until resistance and other time I turn it clockwise. Either way it is a pain.Dealer told me the JD people use a cheap Briggs and Stratton engine and sell these units to the big box stores to be competitive with the other brands. Dealer told me I should have bought the 3000 series JD mowers. He also said he could fix the valves but I would be back next year with the same problem. Hope this helps.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Lawnmower Won't Start

When I turn over it just clicks loudly or nothing. It tries to turn over.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Load More

Archive: Riding Mower Won't Start

My riding mower's engine just spins. All of the belts are ok. I was using it when a loud pop happened. After that, when I tried to restart it, the motor just spun as if something in the engine broke. Any suggestions?

fairfax409

Answers:

RE: Riding Mower Won't Start

It sounds like you might have broke the shaft since the blades aren't working but the motor is spinning.. (10/01/2004)

By HopeRomine

RE: Riding Mower Won't Start

If mower won't start, check your battery posts. I find them a bit cantankerous on these small batteries. Usually the neg. is at fault. Be sure the charge is up. If not don't charge at 10amps, but 2 amps. (03/01/2008)

By takelababy

Archive: Riding Mower Won't Start

My Husqvarna lr125 riding mower won't start. The batteries good, all safety switches bypassed, and new solenoid. It clicks when ignition is turned (same as before new solenoid). It starts when jumped from battery direct to starter. Runs maybe a minute before stopping. Any suggestions? Thanks!

John from Johnson City, Tennessee

Answers:

RE: Riding Mower Won't Start

Check wiring and continuity with a volt meter and make sure its grounded and isn't corroded. (04/04/2008)

By pebley

RE: Riding Mower Won't Start

Thanks for the suggestions!

The battery is new and terminals are good and clean and continuity is good.

What puzzles me is that it will start (by by passing everything) but only run for about 1 minute before it dies. When it dies it is an "electrical" kind of death rather than a "starved for gas" death.
                    It makes me think that something is heating up and then not working? (04/04/2008)

By grumpy54

RE: Riding Mower Won't Start

I'm having basically the same issue, in so far as the click but won't start. I have charged the battery. The terminals are clean. I would love to hear what fixed your problem. Frank
                    (04/18/2008)

By wvnomad

RE: Riding Mower Won't Start

I'll let you know Frank. I broke down and hauled it to the local Husqvarna certified repair shop. At this point they are stumped. I replaced the switch, solenoid, bypassed the 3 safety switches, replaced the fuse so that was about the extent of my parts swapping. It will be interesting to see what it was. (04/19/2008)

By grumpy54

Archive: Riding Mower Won't Start

I have a John Deere STX 38 riding lawn mower that I can't get to start. It ran fine all last summer, but unfortunately, I left it outside in the winter. I changed the battery, spark plug and wire but nothing. The motor just spins. It doesn't look like I'm getting any spark in the plug wire at all. Someone said one of the cylinders might be stuck, but I'm not sure. Any help would be appreciated.

bigzipper6 from Cuba City, WI

Answers:

RE: Riding Mower Won't Start

Update on my Husqvarna LR125 rider that wouldn't start/stay running. The dealer finally found that the "electronic module" that provides spark to the plug would break down after about a minute of run time and then would not provide sufficient spark to keep the mower running or to restart it until it cooled off. Still waiting on the part.

This was the part that Kohler listed as, "hardly ever goes bad so look for other problems". (04/28/2008)

By grumpy54

RE: Riding Mower Won't Start

On some mowers they have a shear pin on the bottom shaft that is designed to break to prevent damage to the main shaft check that, if its broken just replace.

The lack of spark could be a number of things if it is electronic ignition then the main control box has probably died if its an older model it will be likely be the condenser as these do pack up due to moisture. There is always a possibility that the spark is tracking or shorting so just check all leads there also may be water in the petrol tank or carby as that will cause a motor to die but you would normally have spark.The lack of spark seems to be the main issue in this case. brentnz (04/29/2008)

By

Archive: Toro Riding Lawn Mower Won't Start

My Toro riding lawn mower is a year old. When I started it this year it wouldn't start. When I did get it started, it died after 30 seconds. Now it won't start at all, it doesn't even crank.

Orlando from Bear, De

Feedback:

RE: Toro Riding Lawn Mower Won't Start

When people put away their mowers for the year many do not drain the gas out of the tank and then run the engine until there is no gas left in the carburetor. The old gas will turn into gunk. This may have happened to your mower. The carburetor and gas lines have to be cleaned out. Some folks add a gas stabilizer to the gas in the fall when they put the mower away for the year. I don't, as I have had bad results, so I clean out the tank and carburetor as explained above. In the spring I add fresh gas and have the battery charged and I am ready to go. Have been doing it this way for years with no start up problems in the spring. If you don't want to do this yourself call a small engine guy to do it for you.
                    (08/29/2008)

By Harry

RE: Toro Riding Lawn Mower Won't Start

We had that problem and it was the spark plug. (09/02/2008)

By rae

RE: Toro Riding Lawn Mower Won't Start

Try these - http://www.thelawnmower.info/lawn_mower_repair.php (12/10/2008)

By jallinson

Archive: Riding Mower Won't Start

I have a lawn tractor with a basic starting problem. When I turn the key in the ignition I hear a click but the engine won't crank up.

Home and Garden Repair Machines Lawn MowersAugust 18, 2011
                    ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
                    Riding Lawn Mower
                    Repairing a Troy-Bilt Riding Lawn Mower
                    Mowing With Weed Wacker
                    Mowing a Lawn Without a Mower
                    Man Fixing Mower
                    Mower Won't Start
                    Craftsman Riding Mower
                    Craftsman Riding Mower Won't Start
                    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 8:43:26 AM on 10.0.2.114 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesQuestionsArchives
                    NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
                    Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
                    BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
                    CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings