Troubleshooting a Riding Lawn Mower That Won't Start

Mowing the grass is one of the rites of summer, but now your mower won't start. There are many things that can cause a riding mower to refuse to fire up. This is a guide about troubleshooting a riding lawn mower that won't start.

June 4, 2016 Flag

I have a Poulan Pro riding lawn mower. I had it sitting for over a year and it work great before storage. I took it out of storage and it tried to fire-up, but it wouldn't. So, I cleaned the carburetor, changed the plug, and replaced the battery. Now it won't turn over at all. I get absolutely nothing when I turn the key. I checked the fuses and it has good gas in it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Your switch my be bad. Check the wire going to your starter. Solenoid might be back!!

February 23, 2014 Flag

My mower just clicks when you turn the switch on. It has a new battery and belts. It only stated for a few seconds and died. Now all it does is click when you try to crank it.

By Preston

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

The fact that it just "clicks" when you try to turn it over may mean that the engine has seized up. Lack of oil mixed in the gas could lead to this. Also, you may want to try to replace the carburetor. Plenty of "How-to" sites on Utube and choose a reputable online business for mower parts and they should allow you to return carburetor if that is not the problem.

January 5, 2016 Flag

I was mowing on my JD 445 when I hit a stump with the front of the mower deck. The tractor immediately cut off! I disengaged the blades and then tried to start it. It is dead as a door nail. My husband checked the battery cables/fuse. All OK. What could have happened?
Thank you!

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Make sure grass chute is on properly and button is depressed.

April 14, 2016 Flag

I have a John Deere L110 lawn mower that will not start or even turn over. I replaced the spark plug and charged the battery, but still it would not make a sound. What do I do?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have a John Deere 100 series riding lawn more it will not start crying or do anything

July 15, 2016 Flag

I bought a brand new Husqvarna riding mower. I used it for a month and then stored it in the storage for the winter. Now it won't start. So I used a jumper cable and it started fine, but once I turn it off it won't start unless I use the jumper cable again! Any idea what's wrong with it?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Likely a failed voltage regulator.

June 14, 2016 Flag

My 1998 MTD 20hp special edition will not start. It winds over and it has fire and gas. What can be the problem?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Have you checked compression??

May 13, 2016 Flag

I have a 2003 Bolens riding mower, model #13AN683G163 which will not start. This began over a year ago, when I thought it was the battery. I replaced the battery and the mower started, but the battery would drain and have to be charged to be used again.

This year, it would not start even after charging. I replaced the solenoid, the spark plug, and the gas and air filters. The fuse under the seat is OK, and the gasoline is new. I have cleaned and lubricated what I believe is the starter, which is on the side of the engine, and often the mower does start.

Now, however, when I turn on the key, the flywheel turns a little, but the mower does not start. I have checked schematics online and even called Bolens, but I cannot find a starter, and Bolens has told me that there is no part called the starter. Any ideas?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

sounds like your push rods are not adjusted right

August 29, 2016 Flag

My X300 riding mower will not start. The battery does not hold a charge and I must recharge it to have it start the engine. Is this a battery issue or is there an alternator?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

we had that happen on our four year old rider and come to find out the engine block was cracked.

November 7, 2015 Flag

I was mowing and the mower shut off. It still had plenty of gas. I changed the fuses, but all the engine did was click. The battery is fully charged. I crossed the posts on the solenoid with pliers, the engine cranked, but when I turn with the key there is only clicking. Is it maybe the ignition module?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

we had this problem and it was the fuel injector for us

July 5, 2015 Flag

My Murray 12/38 riding lawn mower won't crank over. It has a new battery and solenoid? Help?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Check the fuse under the seat for the safety switch(that makes the mower cut off if you get off the seat) I think mine was a blue fuse.

May 30, 2016 Flag

I was starting to mow and it started sputtering and died. I put a new battery in, but it is still dead. It won't turn over or anything, it's dead.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

It was a fuse located under the battery.

August 19, 2015 Flag

I have a Husqvarna 42" riding mower and the fly wheel keeps spinning; it won't start. Any suggestion? Please? Thank you.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Woodruff key is broken, or bottom of carburetor needs work.

May 7, 2016 Flag

I have a Bolens 13.5 HP lawn tractor with B&S engine. When trying to start it, all I am getting is a clicking sound; similar to a car with a low battery. I have charged the battery to a full 12 volts, but no luck, still clicking. The tractor is only 3 years old. Any suggestions for what I can do? Thanks.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Starter is shot

May 2, 2016 Flag

I have a Yard Machine mower. Everything was new and it started every time. Then I had to fix a flat and my kid left the key in the on position for two days. Now nothing. What could have burned out ? I charged the battery (it was a week old), but still nothing.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Change the fuse under the seat or under the battery

September 29, 2015 Flag

I changed the oil filter, added new oil, new carburator, new spark plug, new fuel filter, new battery, new air filter, and new gas, but it still will not start. The flywheel is turning over, the muffler puffs occasionally when I choke, but nothing happens. I am stumped. I poured a teaspoon of gas in the spark plug area to see if there was fuel constraint which resulted in a few coughs through the muffler. What do I do next? any suggestions? Thank you!

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

could be that the switch under the seat is bad. it feels when you get out of the seat and shuts off the mower. you can bypass it with a short peace of wire

April 14, 2016 Flag

I have a John Deere 100 series lawn tractor. I started it up after a long period of inactivity. It only ran for a while, backfired loudly, shut off, and won't start again. What could be wrong?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

the mowerbackfired and shut off and will not start but it will turn over and over

April 12, 2016 Flag

I replaced the battery and solenoid and the mower still won't start. It clicks like a car would if the starter was bad.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You answered your own question!

March 19, 2016 Flag

I have a Poulan Pro riding lawn mower. It will turn over, but won't start. We checked the fuses and it has gas in it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I would suggest new spark plug and fresh gas. You could also take our the spark plug, spray some starter fluid in, put plug back in and try starting again.

May 1, 2013 Flag

I had it tuned up two years ago and was told the engine and machine was in great shape. However, when I went to start it this season, it will not crank over or make a grunt/noise. The battery is fully charged and it has fresh gas. I jumped the two wires going directly to the starter and got no response. Is there something else I can do before having to replace the starter?

By ELC

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Check the fuses.

January 18, 2016 Flag

My John Deere gt275 lawn tractor had a large back fire then stalled and now won't start. The starter is spinning, but doesn't appear to engage the flywheel. The engine is a K series 17hp Kawasaki. I have changed the plug and fuel filter. Any suggestions? Thanks.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have a 20 horse tucumseh riding mower, when I first start it cold I hear a metal on metal clunk after I hit the starter key. It only does it when it's cold !

Jim

March 12, 2015 Flag

I have model#42514XBA. It has a new battery, but won't turn over and there is no clicking? What could be the problem?

By Cathy from Starke, FL

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Problem could be several possibilities but not enough information. Suggest you take it to a repair shop for a repair estimate.

Load More
Home and Garden Repair Machines Lawn MowersAugust 18, 2011
Photo of a push lawn mower.
Fixing a Lawn Mower That Won't Start
Riding Lawn Mower
Repairing a Troy-Bilt Riding Lawn Mower
Man Fixing Mower
Mower Won't Start
Craftsman Riding Mower
Craftsman Riding Mower Won't Start
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 19, 2017 at 11:32:15 PM on 10.0.0.119 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.