Browsing: Riding Lawn Mower Won't Start

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Riding Lawn Mower Won't Start

Mowing the grass is one of the rites of summer, but now your mower won't start. There are many things that can cause a riding mower to refuse to fire up. This is a guide about troubleshooting a riding lawn mower that won't start.

Man tinkering with a riding mower.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

July 15, 2016 Flag

I bought a brand new Husqvarna riding mower. I used it for a month and then stored it in the storage for the winter. Now it won't start. So I used a jumper cable and it started fine, but once I turn it off it won't start unless I use the jumper cable again! Any idea what's wrong with it?

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If your battery is good, then it is ikely a failed voltage regulator. Take your battery to advance auto parts once charged fully. They will test it for free usually. (At least in Georgia.)

Read More Answers...

June 4, 2016 Flag

I have a Poulan Pro riding lawn mower. I had it sitting for over a year and it work great before storage. I took it out of storage and it tried to fire-up, but it wouldn't. So, I cleaned the carburetor, changed the plug, and replaced the battery. Now it won't turn over at all. I get absolutely nothing when I turn the key. I checked the fuses and it has good gas in it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

I have a 603 riding lawn mower. I had it sitting for over a year and it work great before storage. I took it out of storage and it tried to fire-up, but it wouldn't. So, I cleaned the carburetor, changed the plug, and replaced the battery. Now it won't turn over at all.

Read More Answers...

June 14, 2016 Flag

My 1998 MTD 20hp special edition will not start. It winds over and it has fire and gas. What can be the problem?

I have a stx 38 John Deere that turns over and has gas and fire but won't start up, how can I get it to crank???

Read More Answers...

July 19, 2016 Flag

My Murray 17hp Briggs, starts great when cold. If I shut the machine down and start right away, it will usually start, but if I leave for 5 minutes or more it won't. It seems to be dumping a lot of gas into the carb. If I wait a period, an hour or 2, it cranks back up.

April 14, 2016 Flag

I have a John Deere L110 lawn mower that will not start or even turn over. I replaced the spark plug and charged the battery, but still it would not make a sound. What do I do?

I have a John Deere 100 series riding lawn more it will not start crying or do anything

Read More Answers...

February 23, 2014 Flag

My mower just clicks when you turn the switch on. It has a new battery and belts. It only stated for a few seconds and died. Now all it does is click when you try to crank it.

By Preston

Best Answer

The fact that it just "clicks" when you try to turn it over may mean that the engine has seized up. Lack of oil mixed in the gas could lead to this. Also, you may want to try to replace the carburetor. Plenty of "How-to" sites on Utube and choose a reputable online business for mower parts and they should allow you to return carburetor if that is not the problem.

Read More Answers...

May 13, 2016 Flag

I have a 2003 Bolens riding mower, model #13AN683G163 which will not start. This began over a year ago, when I thought it was the battery. I replaced the battery and the mower started, but the battery would drain and have to be charged to be used again.

This year, it would not start even after charging. I replaced the solenoid, the spark plug, and the gas and air filters. The fuse under the seat is OK, and the gasoline is new. I have cleaned and lubricated what I believe is the starter, which is on the side of the engine, and often the mower does start.

Now, however, when I turn on the key, the flywheel turns a little, but the mower does not start. I have checked schematics online and even called Bolens, but I cannot find a starter, and Bolens has told me that there is no part called the starter. Any ideas?

Bolens co. Just makes the lawnmower not the engine Briggs & Stratton does try to get ahold of a parts store and get the serial number off the engine and send it in to the parts store and get the starter that goes to the engine

Read More Answers...

May 30, 2016 Flag

I was starting to mow and it started sputtering and died. I put a new battery in, but it is still dead. It won't turn over or anything, it's dead.

It was a fuse located under the battery.

January 5, 2016 Flag

I was mowing on my JD 445 when I hit a stump with the front of the mower deck. The tractor immediately cut off! I disengaged the blades and then tried to start it. It is dead as a door nail. My husband checked the battery cables/fuse. All OK. What could have happened?
                Thank you!

Make sure grass chute is on properly and button is depressed.

Read More Answers...

July 2, 2016 Flag

A couple of weeks ago while I was mowing the lawn with my 12.5 hp Yarkworks lawn tractor for some reason the machine started revving really fast. I turned off the ignition as quickly as I could. I then went to restart my tractor. However the machine would not turn over until it cooled down. The symptoms haven't changed. I can mow the grass for hours as long as I don't turn the machine off. Then I must wait until it cools down again. Someone told me I may have a warped head since the machine revved like it did. Help.

May 7, 2016 Flag

I have a Bolens 13.5 HP lawn tractor with B&S engine. When trying to start it, all I am getting is a clicking sound; similar to a car with a low battery. I have charged the battery to a full 12 volts, but no luck, still clicking. The tractor is only 3 years old. Any suggestions for what I can do? Thanks.

Starter is shot

May 2, 2016 Flag

I have a Yard Machine mower. Everything was new and it started every time. Then I had to fix a flat and my kid left the key in the on position for two days. Now nothing. What could have burned out ? I charged the battery (it was a week old), but still nothing.

Change the fuse under the seat or under the battery

April 14, 2016 Flag

I have a John Deere 100 series lawn tractor. I started it up after a long period of inactivity. It only ran for a while, backfired loudly, shut off, and won't start again. What could be wrong?

the mowerbackfired and shut off and will not start but it will turn over and over

April 12, 2016 Flag

I replaced the battery and solenoid and the mower still won't start. It clicks like a car would if the starter was bad.

You answered your own question!

November 7, 2015 Flag

I was mowing and the mower shut off. It still had plenty of gas. I changed the fuses, but all the engine did was click. The battery is fully charged. I crossed the posts on the solenoid with pliers, the engine cranked, but when I turn with the key there is only clicking. Is it maybe the ignition module?

Check the oil and make sure it doeset have gas mixed in oil also pull spark plug to make sure cylinder isn't full of gasoline causing it to stop piston from moving

Read More Answers...

March 19, 2016 Flag

I have a Poulan Pro riding lawn mower. It will turn over, but won't start. We checked the fuses and it has gas in it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

I would suggest new spark plug and fresh gas. You could also take our the spark plug, spray some starter fluid in, put plug back in and try starting again.

Load More
                                Home and Garden Repair Machines Lawn MowersAugust 18, 2011
                                Photo of a push lawn mower.
                                Fixing a Lawn Mower That Won't Start
                                Riding Lawn Mower
                                Repairing a Troy-Bilt Riding Lawn Mower
                                Man Fixing Mower
                                Mower Won't Start
                                Craftsman Riding Mower
                                Craftsman Riding Mower Won't Start
                                © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 29, 2016 at 12:11:10 AM on 10.0.2.141 in 5 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.