Riding Lawn Mower Won't Start

Mowing the grass is one of the rites of summer, but now your mower won't start. There are many things that can cause a riding mower to refuse to fire up. This is a guide about troubleshooting a riding lawn mower that won't start.

Man tinkering with a riding mower.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

June 14, 2016 Flag

My 1998 MTD 20hp special edition will not start. It winds over and it has fire and gas. What can be the problem?

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have a stx 38 John Deere that turns over and has gas and fire but won't start up, how can I get it to crank???

May 30, 2016 Flag

I was starting to mow and it started sputtering and died. I put a new battery in, but it is still dead. It won't turn over or anything, it's dead.

It was a fuse located under the battery.

February 23, 2014 Flag

My mower just clicks when you turn the switch on. It has a new battery and belts. It only stated for a few seconds and died. Now all it does is click when you try to crank it.

By Preston

Best Answer

The fact that it just "clicks" when you try to turn it over may mean that the engine has seized up. Lack of oil mixed in the gas could lead to this. Also, you may want to try to replace the carburetor. Plenty of "How-to" sites on Utube and choose a reputable online business for mower parts and they should allow you to return carburetor if that is not the problem.

Read More Answers...

June 7, 2016 Flag

I have a John Deere riding mower lt133 that just doesn't seem to want to start. I replaced the battery and solenoid and I still don't get a sound when I turn the key. I have checked every connection twice. I have checked all the fuses I could find. I am out of ideas. Does anyone have any ideas about what I should try next? Thanks for the time and help.

June 4, 2016 Flag

I have a Poulan Pro riding lawn mower. I had it sitting for over a year and it work great before storage. I took it out of storage and it tried to fire-up, but it wouldn't. So, I cleaned the carburetor, changed the plug, and replaced the battery. Now it won't turn over at all. I get absolutely nothing when I turn the key. I checked the fuses and it has good gas in it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

March 19, 2016 Flag

I have a Poulan Pro riding lawn mower. It will turn over, but won't start. We checked the fuses and it has gas in it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

I would suggest new spark plug and fresh gas. You could also take our the spark plug, spray some starter fluid in, put plug back in and try starting again.

January 5, 2016 Flag

I was mowing on my JD 445 when I hit a stump with the front of the mower deck. The tractor immediately cut off! I disengaged the blades and then tried to start it. It is dead as a door nail. My husband checked the battery cables/fuse. All OK. What could have happened?
            Thank you!

you sheared the keyway and flyrod

Read More Answers...

May 19, 2016 Flag

I have a John Deere 100 series rider mower that won't start. It only clicks. The battery has been fully charged, there is no spark.

May 13, 2016 Flag

I have a 2003 Bolens riding mower, model #13AN683G163 which will not start. This began over a year ago, when I thought it was the battery. I replaced the battery and the mower started, but the battery would drain and have to be charged to be used again.

This year, it would not start even after charging. I replaced the solenoid, the spark plug, and the gas and air filters. The fuse under the seat is OK, and the gasoline is new. I have cleaned and lubricated what I believe is the starter, which is on the side of the engine, and often the mower does start.

Now, however, when I turn on the key, the flywheel turns a little, but the mower does not start. I have checked schematics online and even called Bolens, but I cannot find a starter, and Bolens has told me that there is no part called the starter. Any ideas?

November 7, 2015 Flag

I was mowing and the mower shut off. It still had plenty of gas. I changed the fuses, but all the engine did was click. The battery is fully charged. I crossed the posts on the solenoid with pliers, the engine cranked, but when I turn with the key there is only clicking. Is it maybe the ignition module?

we had this problem and it was the fuel injector for us

Read More Answers...

May 7, 2016 Flag

I have a Bolens 13.5 HP lawn tractor with B&S engine. When trying to start it, all I am getting is a clicking sound; similar to a car with a low battery. I have charged the battery to a full 12 volts, but no luck, still clicking. The tractor is only 3 years old. Any suggestions for what I can do? Thanks.

August 19, 2015 Flag

I have a Husqvarna 42" riding mower and the fly wheel keeps spinning; it won't start. Any suggestion? Please? Thank you.

Woodruff key is broken, or bottom of carburetor needs work.

September 29, 2015 Flag

I changed the oil filter, added new oil, new carburator, new spark plug, new fuel filter, new battery, new air filter, and new gas, but it still will not start. The flywheel is turning over, the muffler puffs occasionally when I choke, but nothing happens. I am stumped. I poured a teaspoon of gas in the spark plug area to see if there was fuel constraint which resulted in a few coughs through the muffler. What do I do next? any suggestions? Thank you!

could be the switch under the seat is bad. it can tell if you get off the mower and shuts off the engine.you can bypass with a short piece of wire

Read More Answers...

May 2, 2016 Flag

I have a Yard Machine mower. Everything was new and it started every time. Then I had to fix a flat and my kid left the key in the on position for two days. Now nothing. What could have burned out ? I charged the battery (it was a week old), but still nothing.

April 12, 2013 Flag

I have a Briggs and Station 14.5 42in and it won't start. It acted like it wanted to start, then just stop making any noise. I charged the battery and it has 1/4 tank of gas. Still nothing. Any ideas?

I had same problem for two years. had to buy new push mower. Sears came out the following year and found the ground wire attached to mower frame came loose. You can not start engine without a ground. I did the same as you but bought two new battery thinking that would work.

Read More Answers...

April 18, 2016 Flag

My Husqvarna riding mower turns engine good, but it does not start every time. I try later and it starts and runs great. I changed the fuel filter and use new clean fuel every time. It also has a new air filter and new spark plug.

July 5, 2015 Flag

My Murray 12/38 riding lawn mower won't crank over. It has a new battery and solenoid? Help?

Check the fuse under the seat for the safety switch(that makes the mower cut off if you get off the seat) I think mine was a blue fuse.

Read More Answers...

April 14, 2016 Flag

I have a John Deere L110 lawn mower that will not start or even turn over. I replaced the spark plug and charged the battery, but still it would not make a sound. What do I do?

April 14, 2016 Flag

I have a John Deere 100 series lawn tractor. I started it up after a long period of inactivity. It only ran for a while, backfired loudly, shut off, and won't start again. What could be wrong?

April 12, 2016 Flag

I replaced the battery and solenoid and the mower still won't start. It clicks like a car would if the starter was bad.

April 10, 2016 Flag

I have a 19hp Kohler engine on a riding mower. I put a new battery on it, but it just clicks. I put a screw driver to both posts on the solenoid, but it just arcs and smokes. Any suggestions would be helpful.

April 12, 2014 Flag

I have a Yard Machine 17.5 hp. Briggs motor. It turns over slowly and won't start. It has a new battery, new spark plug, new fuel line, and filter. I checked for loose wires.

Answer This QuestionMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes
                                        Load More
                                        Home and Garden Repair Machines Lawn MowersAugust 18, 2011
                                        Photo of a push lawn mower.
                                        Fixing a Lawn Mower That Won't Start
                                        Riding Lawn Mower
                                        Repairing a Troy-Bilt Riding Lawn Mower
                                        Man Fixing Mower
                                        Mower Won't Start
                                        Craftsman Riding Mower
                                        Craftsman Riding Mower Won't Start
                                        © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 26, 2016 at 12:14:39 AM on 10.0.0.92 in 802 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.