Troubleshooting a Riding Lawn Mower That Won't Start

Category Lawn Mowers
Mowing the grass is one of the rites of summer, but now your mower won't start. There are many things that can cause a riding mower to refuse to fire up. This is a guide about troubleshooting a riding lawn mower that won't start.

I have a Bolens riding lawn mower that has been sitting for a while. I pulled the old gas out and recharged the battery. For some reason the engine will not turn over. It tries to, but doesn't seem to have the power to go all the way over. Any suggestions?

it is silent, just bought new battery, BATTERY charger said it was dead

When I started my Yardman 48" cut riding mower and engaged the blades, the blades wouldn't engage and the engine died. This happened a couple of times and now the engine won't start. There was some smoke that came from under the front of the deck. Now it will turn over for a second; then stop. There isn't anything between the blades, but they won't turn. What could be the problem? Any and all help appreciated. The mower was bought new in 2009 or 2010.

The carbs might need a good cleaning. Here is a how-to

https://www.you  ch?v=ttM0Jgs65GY

My mower just clicks when you turn the switch on. It has a new battery and belts. It only stated for a few seconds and died. Now all it does is click when you try to crank it.

By Preston

Answer Was this helpful? 2
Best Answer

The fact that it just "clicks" when you try to turn it over may mean that the engine has seized up. Lack of oil mixed in the gas could lead to this. Also, you may want to try to replace the carburetor. Plenty of "How-to" sites on Utube and choose a reputable online business for mower parts and they should allow you to return carburetor if that is not the problem.

I have a Poulan Pro riding lawn mower. I had it sitting for over a year and it work great before storage. I took it out of storage and it tried to fire-up, but it wouldn't. So, I cleaned the carburetor, changed the plug, and replaced the battery. Now it won't turn over at all. I get absolutely nothing when I turn the key. I checked the fuses and it has good gas in it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Answer Was this helpful? 2

Your switch my be bad. Check the wire going to your starter. Solenoid might be back!!

I have a Castle Garden rideon mower. I only had it running a couple of months ago (cut the garden), it was sitting up in the garage since then, now it won't start. The lights come on, everything seems OK, but it just won't start. The orange light beside the red button to get the blades cutting came on. Any help or ideas please.

Its grand, fixed it,was a safety issue,plug underneath came undone, was to do with the gears,safety connector to engine,saying it was in gear when wasn't,simple to fix,just plugged it back in

My D130 has a new battery and it will crank, but won't start. I checked the air filter and it isn't bad. When I pulled the spark plugs they were clean and wet with gas. I don't know what else to check.

Plugs are not supposed to be wet with gas...Either too much fuel is coming out, or no spark. Check your fuel filter and the gaps on your plugs.

I just put in a new battery and plug. The fuel is good it. It will start on pull cord, but won't pick up with the key turns over ok.

I'm not a mechanic, but I did find a thread in Yahoo where people discussed solutions for fixing this and other riding mower problems:

https://answers  610210805AAzP0VC

I was mowing on my JD 445 when I hit a stump with the front of the mower deck. The tractor immediately cut off! I disengaged the blades and then tried to start it. It is dead as a door nail. My husband checked the battery cables/fuse. All OK. What could have happened?
Thank you!

Anonymous

Make sure grass chute is on properly and button is depressed.

I have a John Deere L110 lawn mower that will not start or even turn over. I replaced the spark plug and charged the battery, but still it would not make a sound. What do I do?

I have a John Deere 100 series riding lawn more it will not start crying or do anything

I have changed the battery, starter, and fuel and I still can't get it to even click. Any suggestions? I am disabled and I need any help I can receive. Thanks!

Did you check the spark plugs? Also, is it in the right gear with the brake on? Mine won't start if its not in neutral with the brake set.

I bought a brand new Husqvarna riding mower. I used it for a month and then stored it in the storage for the winter. Now it won't start. So I used a jumper cable and it started fine, but once I turn it off it won't start unless I use the jumper cable again! Any idea what's wrong with it?

Likely a failed voltage regulator.

I have a Husqvarna 42" riding mower and the fly wheel keeps spinning; it won't start. Any suggestion? Please? Thank you.

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Woodruff key is broken, or bottom of carburetor needs work.

My 1998 MTD 20hp special edition will not start. It winds over and it has fire and gas. What can be the problem?

Have you checked compression??

I have a 2003 Bolens riding mower, model #13AN683G163 which will not start. This began over a year ago, when I thought it was the battery. I replaced the battery and the mower started, but the battery would drain and have to be charged to be used again.

This year, it would not start even after charging. I replaced the solenoid, the spark plug, and the gas and air filters. The fuse under the seat is OK, and the gasoline is new. I have cleaned and lubricated what I believe is the starter, which is on the side of the engine, and often the mower does start.

Now, however, when I turn on the key, the flywheel turns a little, but the mower does not start. I have checked schematics online and even called Bolens, but I cannot find a starter, and Bolens has told me that there is no part called the starter. Any ideas?

Anonymous

sounds like your push rods are not adjusted right

My X300 riding mower will not start. The battery does not hold a charge and I must recharge it to have it start the engine. Is this a battery issue or is there an alternator?

we had that happen on our four year old rider and come to find out the engine block was cracked.

I have a riding lawn mower that acts like it wants to start, but doesn't. It has a new carb, new spark plug, new battery, new starter, and a new starter solenoid. What's wrong with it?

How is the fuel in it? Is it fresh fuel? Any chance it could have gotten water in it?

My Husqvarna lawn mower won't start. I have now replaced the battery and solenoid and 20 amp fuse and still nothing when key is turned on. It shut off yesterday when my wife was cutting the grass and now is silent as a sleeping newborn baby when the key is turned on.

I also have a husqvarna. Make sure the mower is disengaged, and that you don't have it in reverse.

My lawnmower will not start. It doesn't make a sound. I have charged the battery and it reads over 12. I have done the ignition switch and spark plugs. I have replaced the solenoid and tried different wiring ways with it. I don't have any voltage drops to the starter. A couple wires were cut and I spliced them back together. Please help!

Is the fuel line open? Fresh fuel in the tank?

I was mowing and the mower shut off. It still had plenty of gas. I changed the fuses, but all the engine did was click. The battery is fully charged. I crossed the posts on the solenoid with pliers, the engine cranked, but when I turn with the key there is only clicking. Is it maybe the ignition module?

we had this problem and it was the fuel injector for us

I was starting to mow and it started sputtering and died. I put a new battery in, but it is still dead. It won't turn over or anything, it's dead.

It was a fuse located under the battery.

Load More