Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Riding Lawn Mower Won't Start

1 0EmailFollow
Pin It
Man tinkering with a riding mower.

Mowing the grass is one of the rites of summer, but now your mower won't start. There are many things that can cause a riding mower to refuse to fire up. This is a guide about troubleshooting a riding lawn mower that won't start.

Here are questions related to Riding Lawn Mower Won't Start.

Question: Huskee Riding Mower Won't Start

My Huskee riding mower will turn over and it sounds like it's spinning really fast. I was mowing the lawn and it made a big pop and died. Now all it will do is spin really fast, but not fire up. Can you help me?

By PD

Question: Mower Won't Start

I have a Briggs and Station 14.5 42in and it won't start. It acted like it wanted to start, then just stop making any noise. I charged the battery and it has 1/4 tank of gas. Still nothing. Any ideas?

Most Recent Answer

By david johnnson06/09/2013

I had same problem for two years. had to buy new push mower. Sears came out the following year and found the ground wire attached to mower frame came loose. You can not start engine without a ground. I did the same as you but bought two new battery thinking that would work.

Question: Lawn Mower Backfiring and Won't Crank

I have a Yard Machine riding mower. My husband was mowing the yard. When he was about half done the mower backfired and shut off. We haven't been able to crank it since. It only backfires. We don't know what the problem is. I need help please.

By Barbara W.

Question: No Spark on Mower

I have a BandS 15 hp OHV motor. There is no spark. Tester shows current to the spark plug, but no plug. I changed the plug and now no spark. Any suggestions?

By Brad

Question: Toro Mower Won't Start

I was driving my Toro and I ran something over. It stopped immediately. I made sure that nothing was stuck and the blades were all clean. Now the mower won't start. It makes no sounds at all. I'm sure there are many things that could be wrong, but any ideas?

By Jasmine

Question: John Deere 135 Automatic Won't Start

I have a John Deere 135 automatic. The solenoid clicks, but it won't start. The battery is good.

By Brent

Question: Toro Riding Mower Won't Start

My mower has always drained the battery dead. I've replaced several times. Now I just put the charger on it prior to mowing. My problem is now, as soon as I connect the battery charger, the starter starts turning. I don't even have the key on. What is the problem here?

By Mark A. from St. Johns, MI

Question: Poulan Riding Mower Won't Start

I have a Poulan Pro Hydrostatic riding mower. When you start the mower nothing happens, no sound, nothing. I replaced the battery this morning and still nothing, the ground wire is good. I can not find a fuse. The model # is PB195H42LT, serial# is 022112D003206.

By Angela H.

Question: Troybuilt Riding Lawn Mower Won't Start

It was working fine. I transferred it from my daughter's house in Louisiana to Texas, knowing battery needed to be replaced. I tried to crank it when reaching Texas and it would not start. I purchased a new battery (good) and it still would not crank. It will not even turn over. Where would a shortage be from battery to starter? Please help, grandmother in Texas certainly needs a little help.

By Bert

Question: MTD Riding Mower Won't Start

I have a MTD 46" riding mower 18 hp, MD#SWC483021. All my mower does is click when trying to start it. I put a new solenoid on and replaced the starter. The battery is good and it still does the same thing.

By Thomas

Question: Fuse on Bolens Riding Mower

If there is an inline fuse from ignition switch to starter on a Bolens 13.5 h.p. riding mower, where is it located?

By Mike

Question: Fuse on Lawn Tractor Keeps Blowing

Every time I turn the key to start my lawn tractor the inline ignition fuse pops instantly. Is it a relay or a bad ground? It is a 16.0 hp Sears lawntractor from 1992.

By Kim

Question: John Deere Ride On Mower Won't Start

I took my mower out of the garage yesterday, it wouldn't start because the battery was down so I had to boost it. I started the mower and put it on slow idle to let the battery charge. I went about my business while the battery was charging and all of a sudden I heard this loud exhaust noise like the muffler had fallen off the mower. I rushed to the mower and shut it off. I checked the exhaust and everything was fine. The problem is now it won't start and when I am trying to start it there sounds like there is an exhaust problem. This is a new mower I bought three years ago, 30 hrs on it.

By Terry C

Question: Toro Riding Mower Won't Start

I have a Toro wheel horse 8-25. I cut the grass and it was fine. I went to cut the grass again and it would not start. It has fuel and cranks great. Any ideas? Thanks.

By Joe W.

Most Recent Answer

By jlee12199505/20/2014

The problem could very well be the carb is plugged. You need to remove the carb, take the bowl off the bottom, and completely clean it with carb cleaner

Question: Lawn Mower Won't Start

My John Deere 400 won't start and doesn't make any noise or anything.

By Kristina

Question: Riding Mower Won't Start

My 21hp B&S Platinum Craft riding mower will not turn a full rotation. Battery (even jumped from truck), new starter--starter engages, but engine will not turn full rpm. It appears to stop in compression, when engine is at exhaust position (?); starter turns flywheel maybe 1 to 1 1/2 rpm, then stops. It appears too much resistance to turn flywheel. Possible cause? (Oh yea, mower, will not start).

By Michael B.

Question: 425 John Deere Has No Power

My John Deere 425 tractor has no power. The lights on the dash do not light and no power is present. I replaced the battery and terminals but still no power. What could the problem be?

By Jim from Allentown, PA

Question: John Deere Riding Mower Won't Start

I have a JD 18 HP. V twin; it's a Kawasaki engine. It has spark at the spark plugs and it's getting gas into the carb and to the spark plugs. It will crank over, but will not start and run. I drained the gas and put new gas in it and it still will not run, just will crank over. The battery and all are in great condition. What can I do next?Please I need help ASAP. I can't take it to the dealer cause of what they charge to fix stuff. It's a 2005 or 2006 model. Here are some of the numbers I took off it, FH580VBS04-R, FH580VA94857, and KAXS.686N40B. It has been sitting unused for about 4 or 5 years, but like I said I have changed everything and cleaned out everything also. It just won't run!

By Tami M.

Question: Murray Riding Lawnmower Won't Start

I was driving my mower to the lawn. It went bang, stopped, and now won't start.

By Helen

Question: Poulan Riding Lawn Mower Won't Start

My Poulan (18Hp Briggs) riding lawn mower won't start. I changed the oil and filter, however I did not fill up the oil to required amount, as mower was on a slight incline. I added 1/2 quart and it started very well. Put into gear and started to move mower to level ground.

Then the sound came! Like I dropped a tool into the engine. I stopped the mower and checked the dip stick. There was no oil level and white smoke. I forgot that filter was dry and that any oil put into engine would go directly to filter. There is no real resistance when I turn flywheel - after each revolution there's a clunking sound. What have I done :( Can I salvage it? What are my next steps?

By Steve O.

Question: Murray Riding Mower Won't Start

I have a sit down mower Briggs and Stratton 875 series. I try turning it on, it cranks up like it wants to start, but it is not starting. Do I need to get a new battery or it could it be charged up?

By Richie from Port Saint Lucie, FL

Question: Simplicity Broadmoore Tractor Won't Start

My lawn tractor won't start without jump starting.

By Tim

Most Recent Answer

By ollie turnr05/21/2014

Yard machine riding mower will not start.

Question: Troubleshooting a 27Hp Snapper NXT Lawn Tractor

It will not start. There is no power going to the display board, the lights or the lift for the cutting house. It has a new battery.

By Jason Daniels

Question: Riding Mower Won't Start

My John Deere Sabre 14.5 Briggs and Stratton won't start. I have put in a new starter and battery and now it just makes a buzzing noise. What do I replace now?

By Jarod

Question: Mower Stalled and Won't Restart

My Bolens riding lawn mower was working great til I hit a low spot with longer grass. It got really loud then shut off. When I tried to start it, it will start turning over then pop really loudly a couple times then smoke. What happened?

By Megan

Question: Replacing the Solenoid on a 2012 Troy Bilt

How do you access the solenoid to replace it? It is under the seat and I can undo the 2 mounting bolts, but can't remove it.

By Jake T

Question: Yard Machine Mower Won't Start

I have a Yard Machine 17.5 hp. Briggs motor. It turns over slowly and won't start. It has a new battery, new spark plug, new fuel line, and filter. I checked for loose wires. I tried to jump it directly from the positive battery post to starter, but it still turns over slowly and won't fire.

By Denis

Most Recent Answer

By Shane W.05/05/2014

Replace your Solenoid

Question: Riding Mower Won't Start

My Yard Machine riding mower won't start. I changed the coil 3 times, each time it was changed it runs a bit longer, eventually quits, cranks, but will not fire. I have talked to a couple mechanics and they have no idea!

By DL from Saskatchewan

Most Recent Answer

By mechanik [1]05/06/2014

Hello there, I'm sorry to say I don't have a cure for you but I'm in the same boat. Originally when I first started to figure out why it didn't start it was a funny thing. I put an inline spark tester and crank it over and it seemed to have spark but when I just tried a new plug and laid it close to block or head and it had little to no spark.

So I took and replaced the coil which is also know as a ignition module or a magneto and after looking on u-tube for gap etc. It fired right up so I figured I fixed the problem.

Well the next week I decided to replace the drive belt and after completing that (which was no fun), I tried to start and after checking all the possibilities of something I possibly might have do it ended up to have the same symptoms and it points to the coil being bad again. So I'm going to write information down on paper this time so I know what readings I'm getting before, after with both the bad one and the new one.

In all my years of being an auto mechanic I worked on many small engines that have your basic coil/magneto that sits on side of most all of them and they all serve the same purpose. to create spark from magnetic rector wheels that when the flywheel turns around it meets the magneto and sparks the plug. It's fairly basic and generally easy to diagnose but like you it sounds like we have the same issue.

Right now I don't have an answer but I will find out and I'll let you know what I came up with. it's probably something to do with a power or ground issue. 7 out of ten times that ends up being the cause. Take care.

Question: John Deere Mower Won't Start

I have a John Deere 185 it cranks from the key. I have replaced the starter, the starter solenoid, the key switch, and sometimes it starts and sometimes it acts as if the battery is dead and then I reconnect and start.

By Frankie

Question: Riding Mower Won't Start

I have a 21hp mower that won't start. I found fuel in the oil; is this a blown head gasket? It is a Briggs and Stratton.

By Lance from New Iberia, LA

Question: Lawn Tractor Won't Start

My Briggs and Stratton 18.5 hp will not start, it won't turn over; it just clicks. I just replaced the solenoid and the battery is charged.

By BHall

Most Recent Answer

By Christopher C.05/03/2014

Check for a proper grounding. Next see if your getting power from your battery to your starter.

Question: Lawn Mower Engine Won't Crank

I have a Bolens mower. When starting, the flywheel turns rapidly, but the mower won't crank. Help please.

By Brad

Most Recent Answer

By lawntech198305/10/2014

You need a let for the flywheel that's why it turns and no crank most likely. Hope that helps you.

Question: Riding Mower Won't Start

My Poulan mower 15.5hp will not start. I installed a new battery and a new starter, but it still will not start. Start spins, but will not engage to turn the motor.

By dromo55 from Harlingen, TX

Question: Mower Won't Start

My mower just clicks when you turn the switch on. It has a new battery and belts. It only stated for a few seconds and died. Now all it does is click when you try to crank it.

By Preston

Best Answer

By Starzilla02/27/2014

The fact that it just "clicks" when you try to turn it over may mean that the engine has seized up. Lack of oil mixed in the gas could lead to this. Also, you may want to try to replace the carburetor. Plenty of "How-to" sites on Utube and choose a reputable online business for mower parts and they should allow you to return carburetor if that is not the problem.

Question: Mower Won't Start

I have a Rally Roper 11hp ride on mower. The battery is fully charged, but nothing happens when you turn the key. Can someone help?

By Richard

Question: Mower Won't Start Easily

Ok (sorry for my English) I have got a Huskavarna 2148. The engine won't turn easily and when I take the spark plugs off it turns easily.

By Mingo

Question: Bolens H12xl Tractor

My Bolens tractor won't start. I need to push some snow. It turns over, but won't start up. Last time I had to hit the starter to get it to fire up. Any suggestions?

By Ethan R.

Question: Riding Mower Won't Start

I have a Poulan Pro 18.5 hp rideon mower with a Briggs and Stratton engine. Petrol has leaked into the oil and the engine will not start.
What is the cause and how do I fix the problem?

By Noel

Most Recent Answer

By Shane W.05/05/2014

This happen a lot with all type of mowers best thing to do is put a shut off valve on your gas line coming from the gas tank.

Question: 14 HP Gravely Garden Tractor Won't Start

Can the ENM hour meter box have anything to do with the tractor not starting? It makes a random clicking sound, but does not turn dials.

By Jason

Question: Wheel Horse Riding Mower Won't Start

I turn the key and it makes no sound. The motor has spark; I felt it shock me and the battery is good.

By Bruce

Question: Mower Won't Start

My John Deere 300A won't start. I just put a new battery in it. It won't even turn over. There are no lights and no starting sound.

By JJ

Question: Craftsman Riding Mower Won't Spark

The new battery turns over good, but there is no spark. Where is the location of the safety switch that will kill the spark?

By James

Question: Riding Mower Won't Start

I tried starting my riding mower and it would not start. It sounded like the starter, so I replaced the starter. It started right up, but the next time I went out to mow the grass the mower would not start. I replaced the battery, now all I get is a clicking sound and then a buzzing sound, again sounding like the starter. So I replaced the new starter with another new starter (not rebuilt) again it started right up. I again cut the grass, and the next morning being just curious I tried to start my mower and got nothing but clicking. Help. It is a Sear's 20hp Craftsman 42 inches.

By Jim H. from Foley, AL

Most Recent Answer

By Small Engine Guy04/12/2014

Your engine has too much compression built up. You need to check the intake and exhaust valve clearances.

Question: Cub Cadet Engine Won't Turn Over

My Cub Cadet, single cylinder B&S will turn over when the plug is pulled, but dead heads when plug is installed. Any ideas?

By Al

Question: Ride On Mower Won't Start

My uncle disengaged my mower and now it won't start or turn on.

By Stephanie

Question: Craftsman Riding Mower Not Starting

I got it into neutral, with the clutch engaged. When I try to turn the key nothing. It looks like the key is turning, but maybe the key is just turning itself not what it is supposed to?

By E

Question: John Deere SX95 Riding Mower Has No Spark

My mower has no spark at the plug. I have replaced the coil and the plug.

By Ken

Question: Cleaning Out the Diesel in a Key Start Mower

How do you clean out the diesel in a key start lawnmower?

By Shane

Question: Poulan Riding Lawn Mower Will Not Start

I have recently bought a new battery and ignition switch which has worked in the past. However, when I turn the key there isn't even the smallest sound. I have tested the battery and it is showing full power. The lawnmower is as dead as a nail. Suggestions?

By Brad

Question: Cub Cadet Won't Start

I replaced the starter solenoid and still get the clicking sound. The volt meter shows low voltage on the low voltage side. Anyone know the cause of this?

By Charlie

Question: New Mower Condenser and Coil Burned Out

I have a 1989 Cub Cadet riding lawnmower. I just replaced the condenser and coil and it burned out after 10 minutes. What would cause this?

By Nathan S. from Bark River, MI

Question: Yard Machine Riding Mower Won't Start

I have a Yard Machine riding mower. It won't turn over by the switch, but I can jump start it at the starter with my jumper battery box. It started doing this about 3 weeks ago. I turned it off and when I went back to start it it would not turn on by the switch. After about the 8th time trying the switch it started, but hasn't since.The pto is on the right and you have to pull it all the way back. The fuse under the seat is good. Thanks for any help.

By David

Question: Yardman Won't Start

My Yardman 17.5 Briggs and Stratton will turn over, but won't start. I changed the spark plug and it still won't. What can it be?

By Brenda

Question: Mower Won't Start or Turn Over

I have a Briggs and Stratton mower and it won't start. I tried hooking up jumper cables and turning the starter over that way, but the starter won't turn over. I tried taping it, also tried a new starter, still nothing. When I turn the key I can hear a clicking coming from a little black module under the plate below the seat where the pos cable connects and another red cable that runs to the starter, it also has a small orange wire. I replaced that too and the spare one does the same thing. The fuse is also fine. I'm lost; please help!

By Kenny

Question: Ride On Mower Won't Start

My Yard Machine with two cylinder Briggs and Stratton turns over really fast, but won't start. What do I check?

By Roger from Gold Bar, WA

Question: Riding Mower Won't Start

I have a Murray with a 17hp Briggs twin. It won't start. It has a good battery, good blue spark, and cranks fine, but doesn't want to turn over. I cleaned the carb, poured gas and starting fluid into the carb and still it doesn't try to start. Maybe bad plugs?

By Tony

Question: Murray 17hp Riding Mower Won't Start

I have a Murry 17hp riding mower. I was cutting the grass, hit a stick and it stuck between the mower deck and blade. The engine stopped abruptly. Now it will not start. It is getting gas, turns over freely, but there is no fire on plugs.

By Larry

I have a 1975 John Deere riding mower, 200 series, it is getting gas on the muffler and won't start. It has spark.

By Shane

Question: Riding Mower Won't Start

My mower won't start. It smoked when it started and now it won't start at all. Where is the 12 volt fuse hidden? Where do we look? We can see 3 fuses, but they say the 12 volt is hidden. It hasn't started the last couple times, now it just clicks and does not turn over.

By Terry Blair S.

Question: Mower Won't Start

I took the whole deck off for scrap metal money. Now I go to start the mower and it won't crank. I tried to charge the battery and nothing. Any ideas?

By Matthew

Question: Mower Won't Restart

My Toro Wheelhorse 14.5 mower ran OK then just quit. The battery and starter are OK.

By Steve

Question: Mower Won't Start

Riding mower on trailer.I have a John Deere 400 mower and I can't get the spark plugs to spark. It turns over good, but there is no spark. I tried everything, when I shut the key off it gives one spark.

By Brad G. from Hines Creek, AB

Question: Scotts John Deer Riding Mower Hard to Start

I have a Scotts, John Deer riding mower that runs great when started. The problem is starting the mower, it takes a lot of amps to turn it over. Can anyone help me?

By James E

Question: Riding Mower Will Not Restart

I have a Huskee garden tractor 18 horse 46 cut. It will start and run fine, but once I shut it off it will not start. It turns over fine. I have to let it set a very long time to get it started again.

By Cecil J.

Question: Riding Mower Won't Start

We have a new battery and it started up the first time and then we went to start it the next time. It did the same thing like before then we jump started it and it smokes. Then it would run good and now all it does it just click and won't start.

By Terry

Question: Dixon 542 ZTR Mower Won't Start

First I ran out of gas, then when I got more I couldn't get the engine to fire up. I felt I'd run the battery down so I sprayed a blast of starting spray in through the carburetor. Now the engine won't turn, when it tries the overload button kicks out. I tried turning the flywheel manually, too hard. I removed the spark plug hoping it would relieve, no go. Any suggestions before my house disappears behind my yard?

By Andrew

Question: Riding Mower Won't Start

Kohler engine on my 15hp John Deere riding mower won't start. I have replaced the battery and have a new solenoid in it, but now all it does when I turn the key is make a slight whining noise. Any ideas on what it may be? Possible starter? Also, I have checked all connections. Thanks!

By DM

Question: YTD Yard Machine Won't Turn Over

I have a YTD yard machine 14.5 Briggs and it will not turn over fast enough to start. Even jump starting it isn't working. I replaced brushes that had been replaced in the starter. Any idea or ideas how to fix the problem and get it up and running? I am ready to throw it over a cliff.

By Scott

Question: Riding Mower Makes Popping Noise at Full Throttle

I have a v13.5 hp Craftman riding lawn mower. With this mower it will start and idle, but when you raise the throttle to high speed the motor starts popping.

By Carey from Oklahoma City, OK

Question: Murray Lawn Mower Won't Start

My mower has new solenoid, new ignition switch, and a new spark plug. I cleaned the carb, battery and charged it. The motor spins, but won't start what do I do?

By Steve T.

Question: Toro Riding Lawn Mower Won't Start

I have a Toro riding mower with 16 HP B & S engine that sounded like it wanted to start but wouldn't. I thought maybe it was the battery, but the lights turned on. I tried to start again and it backfired. Now it won't even turn over. Any ideas?

By DK

Most Recent Answer

By Chuck [6]07/08/2013

Remove the spark plug and check a carbon build up. If found clean the plug. Check and rest the plug gap as required. Check for the smell of gas in the combustion chamber. If there is a strong smell of gas, leave the plug out until the gas Oder goes away.

Good luck.

Question: Lawn Mower Won't Start

I have a 14.5 horsepower Briggs it cranks, but won't start unless I prime the carb. I replaced the air filter and fuel filter. I took off the carb and cleaned with carb cleaner and blew out all ports and put carb back on with no change.

By Ben B

Question: Lawn Mower is Not Getting Fuel

The tank is full, it has a new filter and new fuel pump. What could cause fuel not to flow between tank and filter?

By Lynn

Question: Zero Turn Won't Start

I have a commercial Cub Cadet recon Zero Turn and it won't start. When I turn the ignition it won't click, a few days ago it ran just fine then all of a sudden it won't even click. I've checked the plugs and battery and they are OK. Please give me some guidance.

By B. McMullen

Question: No Spark to the Mower Plugs

I have a Briggs and Stratton 19hp mower, but the spark plugs have no spark I think. It turns over just fine, but it won't fully start. There is an orange wire but idk what it connects to.

By Gareth

Question: White Riding Mower Won't Start

I have a White riding mower. The PTO warning indicator lights up and the mower won't start. Any suggestions?

By Bill

Question: Lawnmower Won't Start

Man't hand making a repair.I have a Weedeater brand lawn mower with a 18.5hp Briggs and Stratton motor. I noticed the starter gear was stripped horribly so I replaced it. It isn't turning the gear for the starter. I also noticed a little wear on the shaft of the starter. Is it possible to put the gear on backwards or maybe is the shaft bad.

By Dharris from TN

Question: Problem Starting John Deere X320 Riding Mower

The starter motor gear will not engage the flywheel when the key is turned to the start position. The gear hits the bottom of the flywheel. The motor cannot turn because the battery voltage has not been applied to the starter motor via the solenoid because the flywheel limits the solenoid travel. Releasing the key drops the starter motor gear back down and the gear turns counterclockwise a very small amount. The starter motor needs to be "bumped" as many as 15 times before the starter motor gear will mesh into the flywheel starting the engine.

By Jerry J

Question: Riding Mower Won't Start

Riding lawn mower won't start up. I changed the battery and spark plugs.

By deer

Most Recent Answer

By Carol [4]06/16/2013

Could be loose wire or bad wiring, bad starter or clogged fuel line. Does this mean, it will not turn over or what?

Question: John Deere Won't Start

I replaced my battery and it started right up today. Had it going for a good hour or two, then I shut it off. After about 20 minutes, I went to go turn it back on. All I got was a clicking noise, so I tried jump starting it (which worked with the old battery), but nothing happened. I really would like to not buy another brand new battery, do what do I do to make it turn over and work?

By Bekah G.

Question: Riding Mower Hard to Start

After my mower sits for a couple days it takes a lot of cracking for to start.

By James

Question: Mower Needs Jump Every Time

I have a 14.5 hp Craftsman riding mower with a Briggs engine. I bought a new battery, it started fine for a few weeks. Now I need to jump it every week to start.

By John G. M.

Question: Yardbug Riding Mower Wont Start

I have a MTD Yardman Yardbug riding lawn mower. It's a 8.5 hp engine, model: 13b-325-401, year: 2000. It will not start, I turn the key and it sounds like its trying to start, but the belts underneath the engine won't move. They try to slightly, but then stop and nothing happens. And no sound at all. What could be the problem? Thanks!

PS. I just bought it from a friend and it was running fine for a few weeks and cutting the lawn. But I haven't used it in 2 or 3 weeks and now it is doing this and not turning on.

By Cory

Question: Mower Shuts Off When I Try to Use

My ride on lawn mower starts fine for my guy friends, but not for me. It shuts down when they get off the seat so I'm wondering if I'm just too light (100lbs). If so what can I do? Besides gain weight!

By Lynn

Question: Murray Riding Mower Will Not Keep a Charge

I just replaced the battery. When I try to start it, it will not start. I have to hook the charger up to it and then it will start. Any solution?

By Rick H

Question: Craftsman Riding Lawnmower Won't Start

I have a Craftsman Lawn Tracker model no. 917.28910. It is only about 4 years old. I have a problem starting it. I changed the battery and it will start on a dime. I will mow the lawn, clean it up, let is sit for a while, and try to start it up again to put it away and it won't start. It will click and sometimes if I hold the key to start a little longer than usual, it will turn over and start. Most of the time it won't do that either. Is there something that charges the battery while it is running such as an alternator? It seems after it starts and runs, the battery drains to a point that it won't have enough juice to start up. I changed the spark plug and no help there. Checked all the wiring and nothing is loose or corroded. Any help or ideas on what to do?

By Antonio G

Question: Toro LX500 Won't Start

I have a Toro LX500 riding mower. My problem is that it won't start. When I turn the key, the top of the starter spins up and turns the flywheel just a little and then stops. Sometimes the top of the starter doesn't spin back down. It has a brand new, fully charged battery. I've had the starter off and if I jump the starter it spins just fine off the tractor. Do I need a new starter? I will gladly try any suggestion that someone has.

By Kassie

Most Recent Answer

By patdennahower08/25/2013

I have a Troy Bilt Pony 17.5 hp and it does the same thing. I took out the sparkplug and turned it over and discharged the gas from the cylinder. I got it too fire up and run but it did the same thing the next time I tried to start it. It floods and the compression is too high and won't let it turn over. I am trying to find out the reason why also. Any help would be appreciated.

Question: Riding Mower Won't Start

When I try to start my mower the motor turns over about a full cycle and stops. It does this till my battery dies. I charged the battery and it does the same thing. Whats the deal here?

By slg

Most Recent Answer

By Janette [83]05/27/2013

Try spraying WD-40 in the carburator/air cleaner. Hope this helps. It worked for me.

Question: Kohler Engine Mower Won't Start

My Kohler engine 20 hp mower will not start. If you spray starting fluid into the filter, it will run for a few seconds and then it will not start. Can anyone help me? I believe it could be the carburetor. I am not sure because it is getting gas to the carburetor.

By crousedanny777@Gmail.com

Most Recent Answer

By Janette [83]05/27/2013

Try spraying WD-40 in the carburetor. It worked for me. Hope this helps.

Question: Poulan Pro Mower Won't Start

My Poulan Pro mower will not turn over, nothing. I replaced the battery; fuse is good. How do I test the starter?

By Roger

Most Recent Answer

By Janette [83]05/27/2013

Question: Mower Motor Won't Run

The engine is running fine. The male connection of fuel solenoid broke off. I replaced it with part Sears sent me. Now it will crank, but not turn over. It will run a few seconds if gas drops are put directly in carb; there is gas in bowl.

By Gary

Question: 18 HP Briggs Mower Won' Start

The gas is good and there is no fire at plugs. I replaced the coil. It fired 2 or 3 times, now no fire, no spark at wire. I disconnected the kill wire, no luck.
I had an outboard engine that had a flywheel magnet that went bad one time. It was weird, but it happened. Could this be the problem?

By JTJ

Question: 18.5 Twin Cylinder Intek Briggs and Stratton Won't Start

I have a twin cylinder 18.5 horsepower intek turbo cooled Briggs and Stratton engine on my Craftsman riding lawn mower. This is what happened and what I've done, I was finished mowing my lawn and tried to disengage the blades, but they didn't disengage, they just kept spinning, I noticed a spot I wanted to go over again so I started to drive in the direction without re-engaging the lever for the blades since they were already spinning with the lever down. All of the sudden I heard the engine not sounding right, it was a clanking noise so I shut the engine down right away. I checked the oil and it was a little less than a quart low, there was still oil on the dipstick. I tried starting it and it would not start.

This is what I've done, checked compression, a little low at 60 psi, but I read that it holds 70, also read that there is a compression release so you could have false readings. Either way there was compression. Checked for spark, changed plugs for the heck of it, gas was getting to the carb so the fuel pump is good, replaced the fuel filter, juiced the battery, adjusted the valves, added the oil it needed, drained and replaced the gas, went as far as spraying starter fluid in the intake and the cylinders! All of this and still it will not start. The engine turns and sounds fine, but will not fully start, not even a backfire, almost like I want to push on the pedal and give it some damn gas! The flywheel key is fine, I can hear my solenoid working, not sure if there are any safeties that still spin the flywheel, that's the only thing left that I could think of. Can anyone help me out? Thanks.

By Ricky D

Question: Snapper Key Start Mower Won't Start

I have a Snapper key started mower. Every time I go to crank, it just clicks. When I turn the key the motor clicks then doesn't want to crank.

By Jerry

Question: Battery Does Not Charge on Craftsman 15.5 Riding Mower

I have to use a charger to start the mower. It is a new battery. The mower voltage indicator does not move. Maybe a ground wire or alternator, or...? Please help.

By Bob

Question: Riding Mower Won't Start

After changing the battery out on my Husquvarna riding mower it won't start. I have checked battery connection and the only fuse can find. Even the hour meter won't come on.

By jcfreeman73

Question: Craftsman Riding Mower Won't Start

I've got a Craftsman 14.5 HP electric start 42 in. 6 speed lawn tractor that won't turn over. I removed the deck and all PTO handles/levers when I parked it 8 years ago.

I want to get the mower up and running again and eventually start converting it to a racing mower, where should I begin? I've tried jumping it to no avail, I can't even get a clicking noise to come out of it.

By Beechy B.

Question: Riding Mower Won't Start

My Murray rider mower will not start. I bought a new battery and still had to jump off. What else can I try?

By cg

Question: Lawn Mower Starter Won't Engage Flywheel

I have an 18 hp Briggs and Stratton lawn mower with a new battery and starter, but the starter won't engage the flywheel.

By Rick

By Rick

By Rick

Question: Yard Machine Not Starting

I have a Yard Machine. I just recently replaced the blades and V-belt; though being I had the mower on its side for a bit, now the mower is not starting like it should. I found that oil got into the carb bowl as well as on the spark plug. Does anyone know what this could have done? When I did briefly get it started it smoked very badly. When I shut it off it would not start again.

By Ed K. from Riverside, CA

Question: Yard Machine MTD 17.5/hp Riding Mower Will Not Start

I had it tuned up two years ago and was told the engine and machine was in great shape. However, when I went to start it this season, it will not crank over or make a grunt/noise. The battery is fully charged and it has fresh gas. I jumped the two wires going directly to the starter and got no response. Is there something else I can do before having to replace the starter?

By ELC

Best Answer

By Donna E. Frye [2]05/03/2013

Check the fuses.

Question: John Deere LA125 Won't Start

Can anyone please tell me why a starter would spin backward? It won't start. I checked the battery, wire, and starter. There was a blown a fuse. I replaced it and noticed the starter is spinning backward.

By goldpony

Question: White Riding Lawnmower Won't Start

I have a White riding lawnmower with a 20hp Briggs motor. I was getting it ready for grass cutting season. I charged the battery and it fired right up. So I loaded it on my trailer and brought it home, about a 20 minute drive. When I got home and went to start it, it didn't make a sound, I checked to make sure pto was off, I tried boosting it and still no sound. I removed battery and cleaned the posts and made sure everything was tight.
Thanks for any help you can provide.

By Chris

Question: Riding Mower Won't Turn Over

I have a JD LT133. I have just replaced the battery in it. It will not crank or turn over unless I use a rocking motion to the entire mower. Once cranked it runs smooth and steady, but once shutting it off, it will not re-start or turn over. What can be the issue with this mower?

By Howard C

Question: Mower Stalled and Won't Start

I was on my 38/145 MTD Yardman rideon when it stalled. Tthen there was a loud bang and now I can't get it to start. Do you know what this could possibly be please?

By Dani

Question: Riding Lawnmower Won't Start

When you turn the key on this 18.0 hp B.S. it act like it wants to start, but then it just turns over.

By WM

Question: MTD Riding Mower Won't Restart

I have a one year old mower that was working well, then shut off. I cleaned plug, changed gas, cleaned everything, and charged battery and it still won't start. It is getting gas and is getting spark. The model is 13AM772S000. I am pretty handy with some things and have all tools needed. Thanks.

By Ken

Question: John Deere 316 Won't Start

Is the oil supposed to smell like gas? Anyway, it doesn't start. It seems like it's not getting gas. I changed the gas filter and added new gas. It turns over good and sometimes fires over, but won't start?

By Steve from Ashtabula, OH

Question: Husqvarna Riding Mower Won't Start

I have a Husqvarna lth130 riding mower with a Kohler 13hp engine. It was running fine until yesterday, when I almost ran out of gas. I'm thinking the carb is clogged with gum and junk, but I am not too knowledgeable in this field. I also read about the low oil safety switch, where is that located? I have fresh gas, and gas is flowing all the way to the carb, but looking down into the air filter I don't see any gas in the bowl? Any suggestions on what I should do next? I would appreciate everyone's help! Thanks.

By jwjbaseball1

Question: Need to Jump Start Mower

I replaced the battery and my mower still needs a jump after sitting for a week. It is a John Deere L100. What could this be?

By Brian

Question: Snapper 2000gx Lawn Tractor Won't Start

Why does the engine turn over, but won't start?

By Kenneth B

Question: Riding Lawnmower Keeps Throwing Fuses

My riding lawnmower keeps throwing fuses. What can cause this?

By Leon T. from Florence, AL

Question: Stanley Mower Won't Start

My Stanley 48ZS mower will only run when you hold the key in the start position. What's the problem?

By Scott

My lawn mower won't start without the choke on.

By Joseph

Question: Murry Riding Mower Won't Start

When I try to start it makes a click sound one time. I know it's not the battery because without the clutch down no noise. I turn the key 50 times and finally it will start. Please help.

By Tom

Most Recent Answer

By Mike T.07/12/2013

Sounds like your starter has a dead spot. Seems like you need to replace the starter. Sorry

Question: Riding Mower Won't Start

My John Deere won't start. It has a new plug, neutral switch key switch, battery, solenoidal, and I cleaned all grounds. When I hook up the battery, I have got lights, but when I turn the key nothing happens. What do I have hooked up wrong?

By Richard

Question: Simplicity 7117 Garden Tractor Won't Start

The tractor was handed down to me from my wife's grandfather about 3 years ago. When I first got it it wouldn't start without a jump, but after I drove it a few times it would start on its own, usually for the rest of the summer. This year was the same until yesterday when it wouldn't start at all.

I figured the battery had finally had enough so I pulled it out to get a new one and found a mouse nest behind the battery around all the wires. I removed the nest expecting to find chewed wires, but did not. I put the battery back in and the tractor jump started right up, ran for about 20 minutes, shut off and would not restart, jumped or otherwise. So I replaced the battery today and still nothing and I mean nothing not even a click.

By Jim W.

Question: 125 John Deere Riding Mower Won't Fire Up

I can't get my 125 John Deere riding lawn mower to fire up. It has plenty of gas and the battery is fully charged.

By MMP

Most Recent Answer

10/21/2012

Take a look at the ground wire - the same thing happened to my Sears Craftsman mower - somehow, the ground wire broke and the mower wouldn't start or even turn over. My son reconnected the ground wire and it's been running OK since then.

Question: Poulan Pro Riding Mower Won't Start

I have a Poulan Pro riding mower with a 25 hp Briggs and Stratton engine. The mower itself hasn't given me one problem until this past summer while I was in the middle of mowing. While mowing the backyard, I could feel the mower dying on me and watched the battery meter slowly fall and then it shut off and I haven't been able to start it since.

I have replaced the battery, starting solenoid, ignition, and the only thing that happens is the lights come on and the fan will click when you turn the key. We also tried jumping it off of a car battery. Still, no start. Any ideas?

By Walter

Question: Riding Mower Won't Start After Jump Start

My riding mower needed a boost, but the connection was wrong on the mower battery negative to positive, positive to negative, but was connected correctly on car. Now my lawn mower won't make any noise at all, even with a new battery. What needs to be done to get it running again?

By Clayton D from London, Ont.

Question: 2006 Poulan Pro Won't Start

I have fire from the battery to key switch, but no fire from key switch to solenoid. I put in a new solenoid, and it still won't start. I can jump start it from solenoid and it turns over. Can any one help me out. Thanks.

By Bobby from Lake Arthur, LA

Our John Deere 160 riding lawn mower won't turn over. We have a new battery, and my husband put in a new starter solenoid. When he turns on the key, it just clicks. He and his friend jumped it last week so we could mow, but that didn't even work this time. Any suggestions?

By Cindy R

Most Recent Answer

By Deanj09/09/2012

I have a JD 120 with the same problem. This how the JD told me to start the machine. The valves are out of alignment so on top of the engine is a round screen that spins and cools the engine when it is running. Turn the screen counterclockwise until you feel resistance then start it. When I do this most of the time the machine will start.

Other times I have to turn the screen several times until resistance and other time I turn it clockwise. Either way it is a pain.Dealer told me the JD people use a cheap Briggs and Stratton engine and sell these units to the big box stores to be competitive with the other brands. Dealer told me I should have bought the 3000 series JD mowers. He also said he could fix the valves but I would be back next year with the same problem. Hope this helps.

Question: Mower Won't Restart After Hitting a Stump

I have a Murry Select 17.5 HP 42 inch cut mower. I hit a stump and the mower stopped right away, my husband changed the blades yesterday, charged the battery last night and went to start it today and nothing. It doesn't even try to start.
The kill switch from what we understand had been disconnected by the person we got it from, but if you touch the two wires together it causes a short that will turn the mower off. Please help.

By Bonnie

Most Recent Answer

By silverwolf31142006/10/2013

I'm having a very similar issue with my murray mower, but I don't know where the kill switch is even located at.

My mower ran without any issues one day while cutting the grass but while going to put it up it started to run very rough and wouldn't start after that, it even burned out starter wire so I rebuilt the starter, replaced the key switch and still nothing.

Question: Troy Bilt Pony Won't Start

I have a Troy Bilt Pony 42 inch mower that won't start. I was operating the machine and it began to run out of gas. I inadvertently shoved the throttle into choke, the engine killed and then I refueled. This was 4 days ago and the mower still won't start with the throttle on slow run or choke. I emptied the bowl below the carb and tried again and it still won't start. Any suggestions?

By Dave M. from Nashville, TN

Question: Riding Mower Won't Restart When Hot

I have a MTD rider, 42 inch. It won't restart when hot. I replaced the ignition switch, solenoid, and coil. At first it starts right up. If I finish cutting the lawn and shut it off, then it won't restart. I need to wait until it cools down; then it starts.

By ED T.

Most Recent Answer

By Rallen05/17/2013

I had this problem with a 18.5 hp Poulan Pro for years and it was very annoying in that: We are in the southeast and we want our grass cut before the heat comes. We had a professional law repairman to replace all of the things you named and the Poulan started running real good for 20 minutes and then we had better have a pushmower or swingblade around. I read someone's post and the post said the carburetor components were causing this problem. I went to Ebay and bidded on a new briggs and stratton carburetor for $57.00, and now that cut off problem is gone.

Question: MTD 14/2 Riding Mower Keeps Flooding

My lawn mower keeps flooding out on me. It runs fine when I unplug the hose coming from the crankcase to the bottom of the carburetor plate that the fuel line connects to. What is wrong with my mower?

By Dan

Question: Riding Mower Won't Start

My Toro Wheel Horse riding mower was idling and just shut itself off. I tried to restart and it does not make any clicking noise from key turning or any kind of noise of motor trying to turn over, just silence. The battery is brand new.
I checked the throttle to see if it was moving OK and it appeared good. I tried to check any loose wires, spark plug connection, battery connection, removed any blocked lawn cuttings, and still not a bit of noise to start the rider. I was cutting the lawn for about an hour before this trouble began. It was serviced in March 2012 for the annual maintenance at a Toro dealer. Yes, there is gas and oil in the machine. Could it be a faulty starter or loose wire. What else can I do to get this working again other than calling the dealer? I live on a farm of over 4 acres of cutting. Help!

By AMS

Question: John Deere LX175 Won't Start

We ran our recently tuned up LX175 John Deere rider out of gas now it won't start up. I changed the fuel filter, still no luck.

Does anyone have an idea how to fix?

By Woody

Question: Riding Mower Won't Start

My Toro Briggs and Stratton riding mower will crank, but will not start. I changed fuel filter, spark plug, and battery. It ran on starter fluid for a few moments, but then just died.

By Santana

Question: Riding Mower Won't Start

My Poulan riding mower cranks, but won't start. It is a model #27147 with a 13.5 Briggs engine. It is an older mower that a neighbor gave me, but there is no manual.

By Brent

Question: Sears Riding Mower Won't Start

My Sears 20hp riding mower won't crank. I replaced the starter and solenoid. Every time I try to start the 20 amp fuse keeps shorting out. What next? This all started after I replaced a leaking gas tank. It is very frustrating. There is no crank when I turn the key. When I cross starter the solenoid with a screw driver starter spins, but won't engage the flywheel. I have spent over $200.00 with no results.

By ET

Question: Mower Won't Start

I replaced the spark plug and it has gas in it, but won't start. It kind of coughs, but can't ignite the engine. What do I do?

By Ron

Question: Lawn Mower Backfiring and Stalling

I have a Craft riding lawn mower the won't stay running. It also has a lot of back fire through the carburetor; it is a 15 horse.

By Keith

Question: Riding Mower Won't Start

I have an YTH 1842 Husqvarna. When I go to engage the mower every once in awhile it doesn't turn on.

By Brian

Most Recent Answer

By jonathanha [1]05/19/2012

Maybe you need a new battery.

Question: Riding Mower Won't Start

I have an riding mower and the battery is newer, but just recently had a full charge put to it. When I try to start my mower it is dead, no spark, no nothing. What do I look for to track down the problem?

By April J.

Question: Troy-Bilt Riding Mower Will Not Start

My Troy-Bilt mower will not start; only the headlights come on. I mowed my front yard turned the mower of, then tried to restart. It acted like it was going to turn over and then just clicked. Now there is nothing but headights.

By Mike W from Albertville, AL

Question: Montgomery Ward Riding Mower Won't Start

I have an old Montgomery Ward riding mower with a 14hp B&S that won't start. It has needed a new battery and I've been nursing the old one. It started after a dragging turnover and I let it idle while I trimmed the weeds. I shut it off while I push mowed the hard to get to places and came back to mow with it and it wouldn't start.

It was like the battery was almost dead. It would turn slowly until it hit the compression stroke then drag. I tried to jump it with the charger/starter and nothing. I went out and bought a brand new battery and same thing! It won't turn over fast enough. I pulled the spark plug and it looks good, and turned the engine without the plug and it spun really fast. Is this a starter going bad? I figure that once it meets resistance with the compression stroke, it just gives up. This mower is old, but just keeps going.

By Rick C from Mansfield, TX

Question: Toro Riding Mower Won't Start

I have a Toro Wheel Horse 15-38 hxl riding mower and it won't start. I took it in to get serviced and was told it was needing a new battery. I got the battery and still nothing. It doesn't do anything, no noise, nothing. I turn the key switch and nothing, but if I bypass to the starter it turns on when I jump start it and it works just fine. If I turn it off and on again I get nothing; it only turns on when I jump it. Any suggestions?

By leo98935 from Mabton, WA

Question: 2005 Troy Bilt Pony Won't Start

It won't start with the key, but if you short out the solenoid, it will start and run. If you turn the key off it won't do anything. It has a new battery, new key switch, and a new solenoid on it.

By Robert

Question: John Deere Mower Won't Start

My John Deere mower won't start without a little gas poured into the carb. Any suggestions?

Question: Lawn Tractor Won't Start

I have a John Deere LA125. I bought it new in 2009. After sitting unused in the garage for the winter (5 months) I couldn't get get it to run. The engine wouldn't turn. There was either a clicking sound when turning the key or no sound at all. I changed the spark plug - nothing. I boosted the battery and it ran. I was able to cut the lawn then turned it off. A few minutes later, I tried to start it and it wouldn't start again. I have to boost the battery each time. Any ideas?

By Mike L.

Most Recent Answer

By Brenda P.04/27/2012

Change the celluloid and put a new battery in it. It should work great after that.

Question: Lawnmower Won't Start

When I turn over it just clicks loudly or nothing. It tries to turn over.

By David E.

Most Recent Answer

By Joe Burto [12]04/28/2012

Sounds like your battery is dead. May need a new one.

Question: Troubleshooting Toro Riding Mower Electrical Problems

I have a Toro riding mower. The battery is OK. It had a loose connection which had interfered with getting power to the solenoid. I wriggled the wire a bit and the solenoid began clicking. After a few tries the starter engaged briefly (a second) and disengaged immediately.

Is the starter motor connected directly from the solenoid to the starter motor? Could the loose connection which stopped the solenoid operating cause the starter problem as well? Is the starter mounted on the outside of the engine and does it look like an auto generator but smaller? The gear from that "generator-looking" item is under a small cover and when I took a look the small gear was disengaged from the fly-wheel.

By Art

Question: Riding Mower Won't Start

I have a Briggs engine, 18 hp, on a riding mower. The engine will turn over, but will not not start. It seems to turn easily and then hard as you are trying to start the engine. I was told that a compression valve is not releasing properly.

By Thomas

Question: Poulan Riding Mower Must be Jump Started

I have a Poulan riding mower. I got my volt meter; with mower off it reads 12.7 , with the mower running it reads 17.6 until it engages the blades, then it reads 14.2. What's wrong? How can i fix it? I can only start it by jumping it off my truck. Thanks.

By Dustin

Question: John Deere LA105 Won't Start

My mower won't start. The spark plug has weak fire with an orange spark and then sparks stop while engine tries to crank.

By John A.

Question: Riding Lawn Mower Won't Start

What should I do if my riding lawn mow want start?

By Mykeba

Question: Poulan Pro 42 Inch Won't Turn Over

I have a 42 inch Poulan Pro riding mower that won't even turn over. The battery is fully charged and I hear a click, but then nothing happens. It seems like the electric starter might be bad, but I'm not sure. Any suggestions?

By Terry F

Most Recent Answer

By Deanj03/13/2012

Maybe a better explanation of my situation will help. I bought a brand new John Deere LA120. After a few uses it would not start or I would get a click sound or it would just turn over once or twice then nothing. I thought it was the battery or an open ground causing the problem.

A newer high amp battery may not change anything. I carefully checked out all the wiring. Nothing. I asked a dealer. He said it was the valves out of alignment. I thought he was crazy. I checked with a second dealer and he said the same thing. He said they could adjust the valves but I would be back next year with the same problem.

His suggestion was to rotate the air intake counter clockwise that sat on top of the engine until I felt resistance then it should start. I rotated the air intake as he suggested and could feel the resistance and hear the cylinders and valves moving. Then it started right up. So that is how I have to start the thing every time.

Sometimes I have to turn the air intake clockwise for it to start. The air cleaner is the screen disc that sits on top of the engine and rotates when the engine is running.

I have a Poulan with an 18.5 briggs. It turns, but will not start. I replaced the battery, drained and cleaned fuel tank, replaced filter; I have spark. I alos disconected line at carb and do have fuel to carb. It will start for a second if fuel is poured in carb then dies. Is this a carb problem?

By Danny C.

Question: John Deere LA140 Blows Fuse on Ignition

My John Deere LA140 ride on keeps blowing a 20amp fuse when turning the ignition on.

By Bob

Question: Yardman Riding Mower Won't Start

My Yardman riding mower with a 20 horse Briggs cranks, but will not start. It has good spark to both spark plugs. Comp. check good/values adjustment checked, and fuel shut off OK. I tried starting fluid and was wondering if the coil gaps could be wrong. I would like to know what air gaps should be on the coil packs. Or am I missing something else?

By BH

Most Recent Answer

By Bobby F.04/01/2013

Loosen both bolts that holds the coil. Put a business card between the coil and flywheel. Tighten the bolds and turn the flywheel by hand to remove the business card.

Question: 17 hp Murray Mower Won't Start

My Murray 17/42 Ultra riding lawn mower with a 17hp, ohv industrial Tecumseh engine needs gas poured directly into the carburetor for it to start. Once it fires up, it runs fine, but even after I let it run for a few minutes I have to take off the air filter and do it all over again.

Suggestions on what I need to do to fix it? I got it on trade and the guy said he was told it would cost like $40 to fix, if he took it to a shop, but there aren't any shops near here that I can take it too. I don't mind changing parts, but I have never had a Tecumseh engine before. I don't know where to even start.

By Bill L

Most Recent Answer

By Will P.08/18/2013

I have the same problem with my mower did you ever figure this out?

I replaced all necessary maintenance stuff on this mower, battery, filters, plugs, etc. and it still won't start. It cranks over ok but won't start. I fed fuel in carb and it will start and runs until fuel in carb runs out. Can anyone help me figure out why it won't start and run without feeding fuel into carb?

By Lou

Most Recent Answer

By Deanj10/31/2011

Sounds like fuel starvation. There must be a fuel blockage some where between the gas tank and the carb. Could be anything from a kinked fuel line to blocked fuel line.

Question: Riding Mower Won't Start and Breaks Fly Wheel Key

I have replaced the head gasket on the Briggs and Stratton engine, model #313777-0134-E1, on my riding mower. It is breaking the fly wheel key and does not start. When we move the engine it moves smoothly and is not hitting anything. The push-pull rods are not bent. The valve tappet setting is also correct to specifications. Can you please advise?

By Singh from Victoria, Australia

Question: John Deere L130 Won't Start

Why won't my tractor start? What is the spark plug gap for a John Deere L130?

By KCR from Pineville, KY

Most Recent Answer

By Deanj09/04/2011

I have a John Deere LA120 with the same issues. The engine is a Briggs and Stratton with 43 hours of use. I use a Champion RC12YC gapped at .030 inches. The first year the machine started great but not so now. My machine also will not start by cranking.

So, I bought a battery booster at my local auto store to add cranking power. I also bought a new battery with more cranking power but neither helped very much. I called John Deere but they don't have a tech service. They just refer you to your local dealer for service.

I visited one dealer who told me the valves are out of alignment. I thought that was a lot of BS. I visited another dealer who told me the same story. He said valves need to be aligned but within a year you will have the same problem. He also said the engine for the LA series is a piece of junk. Briggs and Stratton hasn't made a good engine in 10 years. The LA series is a cheap machine that John Deere sells to the big box stores.

He would not take my machine in on a trade for the John Deere X series which he said was a much better machine. He did give me this advise to start the machine. Lift the hood and turn the intake screen counter clockwise until you feel resistance. It should start. I tried it and I was able to start the machine.

The last time I used the mower it would not start turning the screen counter-clock wise, so I turn it clock wise and it started. The screen is the big circular screen with all the slots in it that sits on top of the engine. When the engine is running the screen is also turning at engine speed. Hope this helps.

Question: Riding Mower Won't Start Without Spraying Gas into Carburetor

I have a riding mower with a Kohler engine. My starter is good, there is a new coil, it's getting gas thru both lines on the pump, but won't run unless we keep spraying gas in the carburetor. Any idea why the gas is not getting into the carburetor?

By Richard

Most Recent Answer

By marsley_102904/13/2013

I had this issue a few weeks ago my toro wouldn't start unless you dumped gas in it. Take the carb off and clean it the floats are probably gummed up.

I have a riding mower with a Kohler engine. My starter is good, there is a new coil. It's getting gas through both lines on the pump, but won't run unless we keep spraying gas in the carburetor. Any idea why the gas is not getting into the carburetor?

By Richard

Most Recent Answer

By Karen [2]08/01/2011

My husband says sounds like the needle seat is stuck shut.

Question: Columbia Riding Mower Won't Start

I have a Columbia riding mover with a 12hp with I/C (industrial/commercial) engine; there is no spark. Do you have any ideas what the problem could be?

By HC

Most Recent Answer

By Aaron S. T.07/14/2013

Take the spark plug wire, pull it out of the sleeve, and press it to the frame. Turn the ignition. If it sparks, you have spark, your plug is bad. If not, your magnet isn't making contact.

Question: Riding Mower Won't Start

I have a riding mower that won't start. It acts like it wants to, but won't. I shot some starting fluid in it and it will start for a few seconds then dies again. Any suggestions?

By Mike

Most Recent Answer

By Deanj04/26/2011

If the mower wants to start or starts with a shot of starting fluid, sounds like it is starved for gas. I would check out the gas line from the tank to the carb. May be a clog some where.

Question: Murray Riding Mower With New Battery, Plug and Blades Won't Start

My Murray riding mower will not start even with new battery, plug, and blades. What else can I do?

By Chris from Gibsonville, NC

Most Recent Answer

By marty [3]05/02/2011

Does it make any noise at all like it's trying to start?

Question: Poulan Pro Riding Lawn Mower Won't Start

We have 2004 Poulan Pro 18.5 hp, 42 inch cut. I got it out to start the mowing and it won't start. The starter will engage, but will not crank. When we put the jump cable to the starter it spins. Does anyone have any ideas what my problem may be? I would greatly appreciate it. I'm 67, live on my little SS check and unemployment with no work in sight. Thanks a bunch.

By Carla from Winnabow, NC

Most Recent Answer

By thorca05/16/2011

I have a Polan Pro Riding mower. It will not start-no noise or anything. I replaced the selenoid, fuse, battery, and key switch. Still nothing. Can you give me any other suggestions. I have no way to get it to a shop so I am trying to fix it on my own.

I have a John Deere that will not start. I purchased a new battery and it still will not start. It will start if I put jumper cables on it.

By Carol from Rapids, MI

Question: Ford R8 Riding Mower Won't Start After Replacing the Fuel Line

I have riding lawn mower Ford R8 using Briggs and Stratton engine 8HP. After I replaced the gas line, I am having problems trying to start the engine. Anyone have an idea what should I do next? Thanks.

By js777 from Canton

Most Recent Answer

By Deanj06/18/2010

Well if the mower worked prior to replacing the gas line I suspect something wrong with the gas line. Could it be plugged, or have a kink in the line?
I would first see if gas is getting to the cylinder or in to the carb.
I think the gas is fed to the carb by gravity so there may be a air block in the line.
Iwould disconnect the gas line at the carb and see if gas is coming out the end of the line.

Question: Mower With a Briggs & Stratton Engine Won't Start

I have a Briggs and Stratton 12hp engine in my ride on mower that will not start. I have replaced the battery and starter, and have cleaned the carburetor. The engine turns over slowly as if the battery is low on charge (although I have charged it up) and there is a good spark at the plug. I have tried jump leads off the car, but it does not help. Any ideas?

By gd21 from Sunshine Coast, Qld

Most Recent Answer

By poutokaipara04/06/2011

Also it might not be earthing properly when you replaced the starter motor and battery.

Question: Briggs and Stratton Engine Not Sparking

I have a Briggs and Stratton T1600 Twin engine on a riding mower. The mower is going okay. I replaced a newish coil with an older spare to see if it was working. There was no spark. I replaced it with a good coil, still no spark. I tried magnets on the flywheel VG, coil gaps 0.005 to 0.010" between coil "horns" and flywheel. I disconnected the coil earth lead to the switch and there was no spark. Any ideas please.

By Phil from Plymouth, England

Most Recent Answer

By Karen Jones05/15/2010

I had the same problem this spring. Check to make sure the brake engaged, the key is in start position and throttle is set to choke. If this does not work, be sure the air filter is clean - you can wash it but be sure it is completely dry. If it still does not start, check the relay module. I opened mine, be careful when you pry the module apart, cleaned the dust off the contacts, replaced the two parts and the engine started after several pulls. It is also a good idea to drain the gas out of the tank after your last mowing of the year. I always drain my tank and change the oil before putting the mower to bed. Hope this helps.

Question: Riding Mower With New Carburetor Won't Start

I have a 2002 Wheelhorse mower, model ch15s-44533, 315-8. I cannot get it to start. I replaced the ignition module (magnetic), spark plug, battery, and carb kit. It will turn over, but won't start. It was my dad's tractor and he's no longer here for me to ask. Please help.

Hardiness Zone: 7b

By Jeff from Centerton, AR

Most Recent Answer

By spurlock small engine09/16/2010

Are you sure the air gap is set correctly?

Question: Lawnmower Has No Spark at Plug

My L110 John Deere mower has no spark at the plug wire. What could be the problem?

By Tom from Marblefalls, TX

Most Recent Answer

By Bill05/01/2010

Ive been a small engine tech for about 20 years.
It sounds like you have a bad coil.

I have a Toro Wheel Horse riding mower. I started it and pulled the choke up all the way really fast and now it will not start at all. I have replaced the battery but when I tried to start it, it just smoked. Then I thought it was flooded so I took the spark plug out and put it back in and then it just did not make any noise. Now I am trying to find out what is wrong with it.

By Kyle from Williamstown, PA

Most Recent Answer

By jim06/08/2009

If it smoked when you turned the key on and now nothing at all you'll probably find a blown 12 system fuse hid somewhere where you cant see it. if it is a blown fuse you have a direct short on the 12 volt line somewhere. When you find your short your mower will probably be fine then. Hope I could help if you need help finding the short list what model mower it is and ill try to find schematics for it on line and maybe make a couple suggestions.

Question: Powercraft Riding Lawnmower Won't Start

I am trying to fix my MTD/Powercraft riding mower. It has an 18 HP I/C B+S motor, twin cylinder. 42a707 series. It has a hydrostatic transmission. The starter will not turn the motor to start it. I have put on a brand new starter and it still will not turn the motor. Even when I jump past all of the switches and solenoids and jumper straight from the pos (+) battery terminal to the starter, the starter still will not turn the engine.

The battery is fully charged and tested so I have ruled that out. My question is could it be that the transmission belts/blade belts are too tight? Should the transmission belts be disengaged when trying to start somehow? Right now the belts are very tight all the time and the engine is VERY hard to turn, even by hand. I know it is not a compression problem, I have taken the spark plugs out and the problem persists.

It is not an OHV engine so I am not inclined to believe that it is a valve problem. Should the clutch be disengaging the transmission belt? What exactly does the clutch do on these machines? This may be a very vague question, but I have been fooling with this tractor for a week now and I am at my wits end. If more info is needed, or questions arise please let me know. Help me if you can! Thanks.

By drumn4state from Peoria, IL

Most Recent Answer

By Deanj04/02/2009

Well on my riding mower it has safety devices. One of which is the mower will not turn over unless I am sitting in the seat. If the mower is running and I leave the seat the mower will shut down. It is possible to over ride the safety device. If my battery is low I hook up my charger to the battery but I have to be in the seat for the mower to turn over. Once it starts I kick off the cables with my foot or have someone unhook the charger. I also use alligator clips instead of nuts and bolts to hook up the battery to the mower. makes it easier to disconnect the battery.

Solutions: Riding Lawn Mower Won't Start

Do you have knowledge about this guide topic? Feel free to share a solution!

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Riding Mower Won't Start

My riding mower's engine just spins. All of the belts are ok. I was using it when a loud pop happened. After that, when I tried to restart it, the motor just spun as if something in the engine broke. Any suggestions?

fairfax409

RE: Riding Mower Won't Start

It sounds like you might have broke the shaft since the blades aren't working but the motor is spinning.. (10/01/2004)

By HopeRomine

RE: Riding Mower Won't Start

If mower won't start, check your battery posts. I find them a bit cantankerous on these small batteries. Usually the neg. is at fault. Be sure the charge is up. If not don't charge at 10amps, but 2 amps. (03/01/2008)

By takelababy

Archive: Riding Mower Won't Start

My Husqvarna lr125 riding mower won't start. The batteries good, all safety switches bypassed, and new solenoid. It clicks when ignition is turned (same as before new solenoid). It starts when jumped from battery direct to starter. Runs maybe a minute before stopping. Any suggestions? Thanks!

John from Johnson City, Tennessee

RE: Riding Mower Won't Start

Check wiring and continuity with a volt meter and make sure its grounded and isn't corroded. (04/04/2008)

By pebley

RE: Riding Mower Won't Start

Thanks for the suggestions!

The battery is new and terminals are good and clean and continuity is good.

What puzzles me is that it will start (by by passing everything) but only run for about 1 minute before it dies. When it dies it is an "electrical" kind of death rather than a "starved for gas" death. It makes me think that something is heating up and then not working? (04/04/2008)

By grumpy54

RE: Riding Mower Won't Start

I'm having basically the same issue, in so far as the click but won't start. I have charged the battery. The terminals are clean. I would love to hear what fixed your problem. Frank (04/18/2008)

By wvnomad

RE: Riding Mower Won't Start

I'll let you know Frank. I broke down and hauled it to the local Husqvarna certified repair shop. At this point they are stumped. I replaced the switch, solenoid, bypassed the 3 safety switches, replaced the fuse so that was about the extent of my parts swapping. It will be interesting to see what it was. (04/19/2008)

By grumpy54

Archive: Riding Mower Won't Start

I have a John Deere STX 38 riding lawn mower that I can't get to start. It ran fine all last summer, but unfortunately, I left it outside in the winter. I changed the battery, spark plug and wire but nothing. The motor just spins. It doesn't look like I'm getting any spark in the plug wire at all. Someone said one of the cylinders might be stuck, but I'm not sure. Any help would be appreciated.

bigzipper6 from Cuba City, WI

RE: Riding Mower Won't Start

Update on my Husqvarna LR125 rider that wouldn't start/stay running. The dealer finally found that the "electronic module" that provides spark to the plug would break down after about a minute of run time and then would not provide sufficient spark to keep the mower running or to restart it until it cooled off. Still waiting on the part. This was the part that Kohler listed as, "hardly ever goes bad so look for other problems". (04/28/2008)

By grumpy54

RE: Riding Mower Won't Start

On some mowers they have a shear pin on the bottom shaft that is designed to break to prevent damage to the main shaft check that, if its broken just replace. The lack of spark could be a number of things if it is electronic ignition then the main control box has probably died if its an older model it will be likely be the condenser as these do pack up due to moisture. There is always a possibility that the spark is tracking or shorting so just check all leads there also may be water in the petrol tank or carby as that will cause a motor to die but you would normally have spark.The lack of spark seems to be the main issue in this case. brentnz (04/29/2008)

By

Archive: Riding Mower Won't Start

My riding lawnmower won't turn over. When I pull the spark plug it tries to turn over, when I put it back in, it won't. Verified spark with plug removed. Not sure where to go or what's wrong? It's a Briggs and Stratton 18hp engine.

Greg from RI

RE: Riding Mower Won't Start

My husband suggests it may be a weak battery or a weak starter. (05/05/2008)

By Lorelei

RE: Riding Mower Won't Start

Greg, it sounds like it has enough to almost turn it over when the plugs out because the compression is lowered meaning less resistance and when it's in then there is full compression. Sounds like something is too weak, I'd start with the battery making sure the terminals are clean and the battery has water and is charged. (05/06/2008)

By grumpy54

RE: Riding Mower Won't Start

(Sent in by email)

You mention something on thrifty fun about the ELECTRONIC MODULE. I seem to have that problem. Power craft by Briggs and Stratton will start and run but when I cut it off to dump the grass it will not restart until it cools down. So when you mention the problem on the forum it sounds like that is my problem.

I do not know where and how to get a quote on the electronic module for my riding mower. If you could help, please let me know. Thank you for any help you can provide. Meng (07/15/2008)

By ThriftyFun

RE: Riding Mower Won't Start

I have a Husqvarna with a Kawasaki 15HP twin cam engine. It was only used for 1 summer. It won't start, it would just spin. So I replaced the spark plugs and checked the battery. All good. Then someone told me to spray starting fluid into the air cleaner. When I do that it fires right up and runs until that fluid is used up. After all of this I would have to think it is the carburetor. It was all gunked up, so I bought a new one. Threw that on today and it does the same thing. I checked the carburetor and it is getting fuel in there. So what can it possibly be? If it fires up with starting fluid then spark and engine is definitely good. And it is pumping fuel, so I doubt the fuel pump is bad. (07/21/2008)

By Invadergsx

RE: Riding Mower Won't Start

(Sent in by email)

-Will start and run but when I cut it off to dump the grass it will not restart until it cools down.

Meng, your description of your fault describes mine exactly. My ride-on mower has a 13.5 hp B and S Invek engine. It has magnetron electronic ignition. Just 2 yrs old. So, what have you done and replaced to get your mower going again? Thanks in anticipation of your reply. Sammy (07/26/2008)

By ThriftyFun