Riding Lawn Mower Won't Start

Mowing the grass is one of the rites of summer, but now your mower won't start. There are many things that can cause a riding mower to refuse to fire up. This is a guide about troubleshooting a riding lawn mower that won't start.

June 4, 2016 Flag

I have a Poulan Pro riding lawn mower. I had it sitting for over a year and it work great before storage. I took it out of storage and it tried to fire-up, but it wouldn't. So, I cleaned the carburetor, changed the plug, and replaced the battery. Now it won't turn over at all. I get absolutely nothing when I turn the key. I checked the fuses and it has good gas in it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Your switch my be bad. Check the wire going to your starter. Solenoid might be back!!

February 23, 2014 Flag

My mower just clicks when you turn the switch on. It has a new battery and belts. It only stated for a few seconds and died. Now all it does is click when you try to crank it.

By Preston

Best Answer

The fact that it just "clicks" when you try to turn it over may mean that the engine has seized up. Lack of oil mixed in the gas could lead to this. Also, you may want to try to replace the carburetor. Plenty of "How-to" sites on Utube and choose a reputable online business for mower parts and they should allow you to return carburetor if that is not the problem.

November 20, 2016 Flag

I have a 14.5 OHV Briggs that will not start. I've done the following: replaced the solenoid, carb, removed all safety switches, and replaced all wires. The starter switch is now a push button starter relay with a separate kill switch, also a fuse-block so all wires have a fuse, only active wires are to starter and carb. The flywheel has a new key and the valves are set at .004. It gets spark and fuel. The battery and starter are good. It turns over, but will not start.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 5, 2016 Flag

I was mowing on my JD 445 when I hit a stump with the front of the mower deck. The tractor immediately cut off! I disengaged the blades and then tried to start it. It is dead as a door nail. My husband checked the battery cables/fuse. All OK. What could have happened?

Thank you!

Check under the blades there could be some left over twigs cough underneath

April 14, 2016 Flag

I have a John Deere L110 lawn mower that will not start or even turn over. I replaced the spark plug and charged the battery, but still it would not make a sound. What do I do?

one last thing on the John Deere mower. Replace the gas cap- they are subject to clogging and with no oxygen to the carb it will not start.

Try first starting it without the gas cap on or at least loose.

July 15, 2016 Flag

I bought a brand new Husqvarna riding mower. I used it for a month and then stored it in the storage for the winter. Now it won't start. So I used a jumper cable and it started fine, but once I turn it off it won't start unless I use the jumper cable again! Any idea what's wrong with it?

Likely a failed voltage regulator.

August 29, 2016 Flag

My X300 riding mower will not start. The battery does not hold a charge and I must recharge it to have it start the engine. Is this a battery issue or is there an alternator?

we had that happen on our four year old rider and come to find out the engine block was cracked.

June 14, 2016 Flag

My 1998 MTD 20hp special edition will not start. It winds over and it has fire and gas. What can be the problem?

Have you checked compression??

May 13, 2016 Flag

I have a 2003 Bolens riding mower, model #13AN683G163 which will not start. This began over a year ago, when I thought it was the battery. I replaced the battery and the mower started, but the battery would drain and have to be charged to be used again.

This year, it would not start even after charging. I replaced the solenoid, the spark plug, and the gas and air filters. The fuse under the seat is OK, and the gasoline is new. I have cleaned and lubricated what I believe is the starter, which is on the side of the engine, and often the mower does start.

Now, however, when I turn on the key, the flywheel turns a little, but the mower does not start. I have checked schematics online and even called Bolens, but I cannot find a starter, and Bolens has told me that there is no part called the starter. Any ideas?

sounds like your push rods are not adjusted right

November 7, 2015 Flag

I was mowing and the mower shut off. It still had plenty of gas. I changed the fuses, but all the engine did was click. The battery is fully charged. I crossed the posts on the solenoid with pliers, the engine cranked, but when I turn with the key there is only clicking. Is it maybe the ignition module?

we had this problem and it was the fuel injector for us

May 30, 2016 Flag

I was starting to mow and it started sputtering and died. I put a new battery in, but it is still dead. It won't turn over or anything, it's dead.

It was a fuse located under the battery.

May 7, 2016 Flag

I have a Bolens 13.5 HP lawn tractor with B&S engine. When trying to start it, all I am getting is a clicking sound; similar to a car with a low battery. I have charged the battery to a full 12 volts, but no luck, still clicking. The tractor is only 3 years old. Any suggestions for what I can do? Thanks.

Starter is shot

September 26, 2016 Flag

My riding lawn mower, a Murray model 40504x92, was running just fine and suddenly while mowing one day just stopped and won't start. I replaced the battery since it wouldn't charge up thinking this was the issue, but no luck. I tested the new battery and it's holding its charge at 12 volts. However, I am getting no volts on any of the wires on the solenoid when I turn the key. I do get a whine like the mower is trying to turn over. I don't know if this means if a safety switch is bad or the entire ignition is bad or I need a new solenoid. Please help. I am a woman trying to figure out how to fix something I shouldn't be fixing lol.

Load More
Home and Garden Repair Machines Lawn MowersAugust 18, 2011
Photo of a push lawn mower.
Fixing a Lawn Mower That Won't Start
Riding Lawn Mower
Repairing a Troy-Bilt Riding Lawn Mower
Man Fixing Mower
Mower Won't Start
Craftsman Riding Mower
Craftsman Riding Mower Won't Start
🎉
🎄