Curling Tupperware Lids

This is for the tupperware knowledgeable. I've heated up food in cereal bowl sized tupperware containers with the lids loosened and now the lids are curling up. Nothing I do will flatten them out and they don't stay on securely since they are no longer flat. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Kim from Cleveland

I sold Tupperware quite a few years ago.They used to replace anything that cracked,chipped or peeled.I'm not quite sure how they handle microwave damage,but it would be worth your while to locate a Dealer and ask.

My MIL always says to run them through the dishwasher and then put them back on the base when they are still hot from the dishwasher - and let them cool. They will usually reshape then.

Otherwise see about getting them replaced.

You could try putting them in boiling water for a couple of minutes, taking them out, putting them under a flat plate and weighting the plate with a large can of something. Worth a shot.

I don't think tupperware or any plastics do good in the microwave. There are some plastic storage containers that say specifically for the microwave but otherwise it's not a good idea to use them in a microwave. There is talk now too about chemicals from the plastics leaching into the foods when the plastic is heated.

If you can't get tupperware to replace the lids and none of the ideas here work for fixing yours, you might be able to just buy the replacement lids from a tupperware dealer. You could also check on ebay.

Hi - plastics in the microwave are indeed proven to be leaching harmful substances into your food. A famous homeschool family proved by scientific experiments in their kitchen that plastic wrap over food put measurable amounts of toxics into the food. Just check snopes2.com, the urban legend busters, for proof. Tupperware is not the same plastic as plastic wrap, but I would not use any plastic in the microwave. Why would I buy the microwave plastic containers, when my thrifty glass dishes and jars are still working great after all these years? I even found glass lids in the thrift shop and they haven't curled. My advice - try glass! prettier, and they never get that stubborn tomato stain.

Kim--I also have heard it is dangerous to heat anything in any kind of plastic, including Tupperware. I would not even trust containers that say microwave safe. However, Ikea has glass storage containers that are quite cheap. You can also buy Pyrex bowls with lids. Or, you can just re-use old Cool Whip (etc) containers, but when you put something in the microwave, transfer it to a ceramic bowl (with a plate on top if needed). I even do this with frozen dinners.

Home and Garden Repair Home KitchenJune 12, 2007
Tupperware Stacked
Organizing Plastic Containers
Plastic Lid Photo Ornament
Uses for Plastic Lids
Plastic Lid Man
Crafts Using Plastic Lids
Food in Tupperware
Cleaning Stained Tupperware
🎉
🎄