Sewing Machine Needle Not Catching Thread

It can be very frustrating if your machine is not sewing properly. This guide is about sewing machine needle not catching thread.

August 21, 2016 Flag

My mini sewing machine's needle is not picking up the bobbin thread. Why?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My sewing machine is not catching thread

Read More Answers...

October 22, 2010 Flag

Does anyone know anything about sewing machines? The bobbin thread isn't being picked up by the needle. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but it was working fine. It is possible, not sure, but the needle doesn't seem to be going down as far as it should. I am mighty confused. Please help.

By shivvers from Ireland

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Try changing the needle for a new one. I don't know why but this usually works for me.

Best Answer

You may also check to make sure your needle is turned properly. I had this problem not too long ago. I had replaced the needle and tightened it in not realizing I had not set it in the slot properly. I redid it and it has worked well ever since.

Read More Answers...

June 8, 2016 Flag

My mini sewing machine doesn't pick up thread from the bobbin and my fabric doesn't get stitched. Please help.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My needle will no go all the way down this is a singer

Yes the machine was not stitch properly

Read More Answers...

January 11, 2016 Flag

Why is stitching not appearing on my portable mini sewing machine? It's not taking thread from lower bobbin also. Please help me.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My mini sewing matching stitching was not done in cloth what is the problem pls help me?

Hi I have the same problem could help me with a video or link to view the solution

Read More Answers...

August 16, 2016 Flag

My New Home machine was working fine. Then it stopped picking up the bobbin thread. Why?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I gave. OC-6500 and needed to wined some Bobbi. I hear the motor it dosent spin??

Hello !

You could first unplug the machine, then open the bobbin case, turn the wheel by hand and watch carefully the movement of the needle and how deep it goes to catch the thread loop, and where is the bobbin thread when the needle goes down. If you do not figure out what's wrong, check if the needle is in the right position and tightly fit in, if you are not sure put a new needle, an check again.

Read More Answers...

March 30, 2016 Flag

I have kindly been given a Singer 447 machine. I set it up and it was working fine for a while, but now it won't pick up the bottom thread. I have re-threaded and check the bobbin. With the plate off I can see that the bottom bobbin does not seem to be moving. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this? Thanks.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Thank you! Thank you! I have been wracking my brain for hours trying to figure out why my needle wasn't pulling up the bobbing thread. I even undid the plate screws and took a look. I was so frustrated. Then I saw your post. I immediately went to the machine, held the needle thread, lowered the needle and voila...there is the bobbin thread. I can't thank you enough for this post.

Please, i just bought a new handheld machine, it worked perfectly the first time i used it. i tried it on cotton material, after, the machine stopped stitching. the sound is same, cloth is moving, needle going up and down, but not stitching.(it as if i am sewing without thread)

Read More Answers...

September 1, 2015 Flag

My machine keeps missing stitches. The top misses the bobbin, and then I'm left with really not excellent looking stitches. Also, my machine won't do a twin needle stitch properly. I'm concerned. Help? Thanks guys!

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

A yahoo group wefixit has lots of good answers to problems with sewing machines.

I'm having the exact problems. I'd love to hear if you took it to be repaired and if they were able to solve these issues!

Read More Answers...

December 28, 2015 Flag

This is a borrowed machine, a Singer Stylist 418. I have a model similar to this but a few years newer. They operate basically the same. My problem is with the bobbin. The needle will not pick up the thread....nothing. The bobbin was almost empty, and the thread caught inside the bobbin area. It would not come out, I pulled it hard and it broke off. I rewound a new bobbin, and the needle, unlike my machine, went up and down during the winding process. Now, it will not pick up the thread. I changed the needle, adjusted the needle, re-threaded the machine several times, the bobbin is in correctly. I took out the bobbin housing and removed the little piece of thread left in the area. Any advice from someone?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Thanks so much for your response. I agree, a tech/repairman is the way to go. I do feel honor bound to have it repaired as my friend was so generous to loan it to me. It was running great prior to this incident. I was trying to get a seat cushion done on a glider rocker for my daughter who is expecting a baby any time. I put out calls to other friends for a loaner, and ended up with a 1949 Singer Featherweight. You may know it, the little back machine in a cute black case. Apparently, it had not been used in 30-40 years. Well, I love American ingenuity! It was a little musty, but that little wiz came out of the carrier and purred like a kitten. The bulb shown brightly and I finished the cushion. I wish it were mine!! Thanks again!

Bonnepm, thank-you for your update! The Stylist was (is when still operational:) such a great sewing machine, it was one of the few 'domestic' Singers that made as good a straight stitch as a zig-zag - many machines (not just Singers) do one or the other beautifully but not both - on a zig-zag machine the straight stitch is never really-really-really true straight. But the Stylist line could go from straight (true straight!) to z-z and right back to a true straight. Bliss, really, for home sewers. I loved my 513 so much I kept it going yonks past its use-by date! Finally, though, it became a very real money pit. When that bobbin gear goes everything seems to go.

But wow-wow-wow, to be lent a '49 Featherweight is amazing! All metal gears, it's really hard to 'kill' a pre-60s Singer and a Featherweight to most of us vintage enthusiasts is the pinnacle of Singer sewing machine ingenuity. I don't blame you for wishing it could be yours, I wish I could find one myself:)

Best wishes for a safe delivery of a beautiful healthy baby for your daughter!

Read More Answers...

February 17, 2014 Flag

I have Brother sewing machine Model VX-1120. It won't pick up the bobbin thread!

By Opal D.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

First of all, here's a link to a free download for your machine:

http://www.brother-usa.com/ModelDoc ... Users%20Manual/UM_VX_1120_EN_203.PDF

Now check page 12 to be sure you're seating the front load bobbin case into the machine correctly, and that you've snapped the bobbin winder back to the sewing mode (follow the illustration on page 11 and 12).

Next go to page 14 and be sure you're following all of those directions for pulling up the thread.

If none of the above solves your problem, check page 47 (Performance checklist) and if nothing there solves your problem (are your feed dogs set to 'no-feed? That will keep your bobbin thread from pulling up on some models), it's time to find a factory trained Brother repair tech!

I understood your problem. First you have to open the bobbin cabinet and open all the screws and adjust the needle and bobbin cabinet according to requirement and last close all the screws with the help of screw opener and reload the thread and do the procedure one more time.It will work

Read More Answers...

November 12, 2015 Flag

So the sewing machine that I'm using is a Good Housekeeper made in Japan. It is a deluxe precision bill is what it says on the side and I think the model number is 1091TW. I've been researching and haven't found one just like this one on the Internet anywhere. So if anyone is familiar with this model, any pointers would be great. My problem is with stitching. I've tried different types of fabric the bobbin thread won't come through the fabric for it will make a stitch at all. I'll change the needle, I removed lint, and oiled it up. I just can't get it to make a stitch. Any help would be most appreciated.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

No offense, but that makes no sense. If a machine has been unplugged, there isn't a way for it to shock you. I've worked on many machines (not just sewing machines, but many power tools as well) and

No offense, but that makes no sense. If a machine has been unplugged from the outlet, there is no way to receive a shock. I am an apprentice electrician, and our first lesson is "unplug the bugger". I only say this so that other people aren't scared of receiving a shock from an unplugged machine. Cheers

Read More Answers...

June 16, 2016 Flag

I was sewing fine with my machine and while doing so, my garment got caught. I removed it and tried to sew again, but somehow now it's not catching the bobbin tread. What can I do to fix this problem. I need help now please!

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I've had this happen numerous times through years of sewing, Tomeegurl. The most efficient solution, I finally found, was to remove everything: all fabric which might be caught in sewing machine teeth or bobbin, all threads, the needle (in case the jammed fabric displaced it) the bobbin holder ... everything. Make sure no scraps of fabric remain anywhere (really). Run the machine without sewing threads just to make sure all the gears are operating smoothly then re-thread from top to bottom. Replace the needle. These steps should do the trick.

May 22, 2013 Flag

The bobbin thread isn't coming up to the top, when I turn the wheel manually. I used a new spool of thread and rewound a new bobbin and it still isn't working. What should I do?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 28, 2016 Flag

I have a Shark Intel Euro Pro X and I can't get the bobbin thread to come up. The neddle hits the bottom of the bobbin case. I have the right needle in and it is threaded right. This happened before and they tuned it. How do I do that?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Load More
Home and Garden Repair Machines Sewing MachinesDecember 3, 2012
Making a quilt square on a home sewing machine.
Machine Quilting on a Home Sewing Machine
Sewing Machine
Sewing Machine Thread Keeps Breaking
Red Sewing Thread
Crocheting With Sewing Thread
Sewing Machine Sewing Blue Fabric
Repairing a Sewing Machine
🎉
🎄