Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Sewing Machine Needle Not Catching Thread

It can be very frustrating if your machine is not sewing properly. This guide is about sewing machine needle not catching thread.

My mini sewing machine's needle is not picking up the bobbin thread. Why?

Answer Was this helpful? 2
Best Answer

Make sure the needle is all the way in and that it's tight. Something of note: Schmetz and Klasse needles are different in length. Klasse needles are longer and cannot be used in my Singer. Klasse double needles broke in my Janome.

Good luck

Does anyone know anything about sewing machines? The bobbin thread isn't being picked up by the needle. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but it was working fine. It is possible, not sure, but the needle doesn't seem to be going down as far as it should. I am mighty confused. Please help.

By shivvers from Ireland

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Best Answer

Try changing the needle for a new one. I don't know why but this usually works for me.

January 11, 2016 Flag

Why is stitching not appearing on my portable mini sewing machine? It's not taking thread from lower bobbin also. Please help me.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My mini sewing machine does not picking thread from the bobin,,,please help me

February 22, 2017 Flag

I bought a 2nd hand Sewland kids sewing machine at the op shop. It didn't come with a bobbin case. Should it have one? I can't seem to pick up the bobbin thread without one.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

http://s861.pho  ?sort=3&o=15

From the manual (good images) it certainly appears a bobbin case is necessary. Perhaps contact the company to purchase one?

My mini sewing machine doesn't pick up thread from the bobbin and my fabric doesn't get stitched. Please help.

Answer Was this helpful? 2

My needle will no go all the way down this is a singer

February 3, 2017 Flag

I don't know what else to do because I've followed all of the fixing procedures. I'm frustrated coz my new mini sewing machine is refusing to catch thread from the lower bobbin. Please what else can I do? I just bought the machine.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If you just bought the machine, and cannot figure out from the manual, website, or phone call to the company, take it back to the store and get a refund or replacement. Don't wait too long!

November 12, 2015 Flag

So the sewing machine that I'm using is a Good Housekeeper made in Japan. It is a deluxe precision bill is what it says on the side and I think the model number is 1091TW. I've been researching and haven't found one just like this one on the Internet anywhere. So if anyone is familiar with this model, any pointers would be great. My problem is with stitching. I've tried different types of fabric the bobbin thread won't come through the fabric for it will make a stitch at all. I'll change the needle, I removed lint, and oiled it up. I just can't get it to make a stitch. Any help would be most appreciated.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

No offense, but that makes no sense. If a machine has been unplugged, there isn't a way for it to shock you. I've worked on many machines (not just sewing machines, but many power tools as well) and

September 1, 2015 Flag

My machine keeps missing stitches. The top misses the bobbin, and then I'm left with really not excellent looking stitches. Also, my machine won't do a twin needle stitch properly. I'm concerned. Help? Thanks guys!

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

A yahoo group wefixit has lots of good answers to problems with sewing machines.

March 30, 2016 Flag

I have kindly been given a Singer 447 machine. I set it up and it was working fine for a while, but now it won't pick up the bottom thread. I have re-threaded and check the bobbin. With the plate off I can see that the bottom bobbin does not seem to be moving. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this? Thanks.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Thank you! Thank you! I have been wracking my brain for hours trying to figure out why my needle wasn't pulling up the bobbing thread. I even undid the plate screws and took a look. I was so frustrated. Then I saw your post. I immediately went to the machine, held the needle thread, lowered the needle and voila...there is the bobbin thread. I can't thank you enough for this post.

August 16, 2016 Flag

My New Home machine was working fine. Then it stopped picking up the bobbin thread. Why?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I gave. OC-6500 and needed to wined some Bobbi. I hear the motor it dosent spin??

February 17, 2014 Flag

I have Brother sewing machine Model VX-1120. It won't pick up the bobbin thread!

By Opal D.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

First of all, here's a link to a free download for your machine:

http://www.brot  _1120_EN_203.PDF

Now check page 12 to be sure you're seating the front load bobbin case into the machine correctly, and that you've snapped the bobbin winder back to the sewing mode (follow the illustration on page 11 and 12).

Next go to page 14 and be sure you're following all of those directions for pulling up the thread.

If none of the above solves your problem, check page 47 (Performance checklist) and if nothing there solves your problem (are your feed dogs set to 'no-feed? That will keep your bobbin thread from pulling up on some models), it's time to find a factory trained Brother repair tech!

August 13, 2016 Flag

I have the Janome Sewist 521. My machine won't pick up the bobbin thread. I doubt it's the timing! The thread is not moving down at all :( The timing is spinning, but can't catch the thread because it is not moving an inch.
Please help!

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Are you saying it is the needle that isn't moving down? Is your machine the type that you have to disengage the needle to fill the bobbin? If so, make sure it got re-engaged.

December 28, 2015 Flag

This is a borrowed machine, a Singer Stylist 418. I have a model similar to this but a few years newer. They operate basically the same. My problem is with the bobbin. The needle will not pick up the thread....nothing. The bobbin was almost empty, and the thread caught inside the bobbin area. It would not come out, I pulled it hard and it broke off. I rewound a new bobbin, and the needle, unlike my machine, went up and down during the winding process. Now, it will not pick up the thread. I changed the needle, adjusted the needle, re-threaded the machine several times, the bobbin is in correctly. I took out the bobbin housing and removed the little piece of thread left in the area. Any advice from someone?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Thanks so much for your response. I agree, a tech/repairman is the way to go. I do feel honor bound to have it repaired as my friend was so generous to loan it to me. It was running great prior to this incident. I was trying to get a seat cushion done on a glider rocker for my daughter who is expecting a baby any time. I put out calls to other friends for a loaner, and ended up with a 1949 Singer Featherweight. You may know it, the little back machine in a cute black case. Apparently, it had not been used in 30-40 years. Well, I love American ingenuity! It was a little musty, but that little wiz came out of the carrier and purred like a kitten. The bulb shown brightly and I finished the cushion. I wish it were mine!! Thanks again!

August 8, 2016 Flag

My mini sewing machine V201 is working, but not stitching clothes because the bobbin thread is not working with the reel thread. So I want to know why the bobbin thread is not working and how to fix?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Double check the bobbin. Make sure its not upside down and the thread is going from the wrong side.

May 22, 2013 Flag

The bobbin thread isn't coming up to the top, when I turn the wheel manually. I used a new spool of thread and rewound a new bobbin and it still isn't working. What should I do?

By Grace

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Make sure your bobbin case is loaded correctly and the bobbin thread is following the correct path to permit top thread pick-up.

Is your machine a front/side load bobbin system, or the top drop-in type? It can make a difference in top thread pick-up especially if you are new to sewing or don't sew often. The front/side load bobbins are really hard to load correctly and can cause no end of difficulties for the beginner or infrequent sewer.

The age of the machine can make a difference too. On a modern machine (newer than ten years old) a lot of the timing mechanisms are magnetic and can be thrown off by using a metal bobbin spool instead of the recommended plastic. If the machine timing is off the needle may be descending into the bobbin pick-up area at the wrong time the bobbin presents bobbin thread for pick-up.

On a vintage machine (older than 25 years), gears can wear out. You can load that bobbin correctly all day but if the gears are worn or broken you won't be able to pick-up the bobbin thread.

Step One: try following the user guide instructions for your machine to load the bobbin into your machine. Pay especial attention to the thread path for the bobbin thread.

If that doesn't help you may have a broken or worn bobbin gear(s) somewhere in the works between where you wind the bobbin and where the bobbin is loaded OR the timing is off-a job for a qualified technician. Shouldn't cost more than $80USD for the repair+a check-up and tune-up of the machine. Be sure to get detailed information from the repair tech as to what happened and why so that you can avoid a repeat in the future.

June 16, 2016 Flag

I was sewing fine with my machine and while doing so, my garment got caught. I removed it and tried to sew again, but somehow now it's not catching the bobbin tread. What can I do to fix this problem. I need help now please!

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I've had this happen numerous times through years of sewing, Tomeegurl. The most efficient solution, I finally found, was to remove everything: all fabric which might be caught in sewing machine teeth or bobbin, all threads, the needle (in case the jammed fabric displaced it) the bobbin holder ... everything. Make sure no scraps of fabric remain anywhere (really). Run the machine without sewing threads just to make sure all the gears are operating smoothly then re-thread from top to bottom. Replace the needle. These steps should do the trick.

April 28, 2016 Flag

I have a Shark Intel Euro Pro X and I can't get the bobbin thread to come up. The neddle hits the bottom of the bobbin case. I have the right needle in and it is threaded right. This happened before and they tuned it. How do I do that?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Sadly, you can't fix this at home - the timing is off and getting a sewing machine of any make/model properly retimed is a job best left to the qualified repair tech.

I do repair and refurb here in Scotland for my Sewing 101 students - many bring in a vintage sewing machine they've got from a gran or a jumble sale and those machines haven't seen a servicing in decades - checking the timing is part of the servicing I do on these machines. If/when a student brings the machine I've already done a retiming on and tells me the timing is off again, it's time for me to talk with the student regarding good habits that keep a sewing machine in good timing. Your repair tech needs to work with you to discover why your machine needs frequent retiming - something as simple as turning the hand wheel the wrong direction (most machine hand wheels should be turned towards you and NEVER away) to using the wrong type bobbin (metal where plastic is required).

Re the bobbin - a lot of modern machines now use a magnetic timing system and using metal bobbins (even if they fit fine and you manage one or two sewing sessions with it in) interferes with the magnetics.

Talk to your repair tech and find out what you're doing to throw off the machine timing:)

My machine is new, but when I go to sew, the bobbin thread doesn't come up and the needle thread is hooking all over the bobbin. Why?

By Atinus from Kusunti, Nepal

Marty is spot-on - check your user guide and if that doesn't solve the problem take the machine back to the seller.

Try the following if you can't return the machine for some reason:

Be sure you're loading the bobbin case correctly with the thread coming out anti-clockwise (counter-clockwise), and that you have the upper thread path correctly threaded. New machines have the tension discs inside so you can't see if you're getting that upper thread through the discs correctly but careful following of the diagrammed path (usually on the machine and always in the user guide) usually ensures correct threading.

Be sure the feed dogs are in the correct position, and ALWAYS be sure to wind-load-thread upper path with the presser foot in the UP position. You'd be surprised at how many 'problems' are solved this way:) And you'd be glad to know how many of us 'experienced' sewers forget sometimes to lift the presser foot - I teach sewing and sometimes forget!

Good luck, I hope your issue is resolved soon and you enjoy many happy sewing hours!

November 16, 2010 Flag

My machine suddenly stopped sewing. It is not picking up bobbin thread. There are no loops under the material. I have re-threaded it 3 times and have cleaned the bobbin area and rechecked the bobbin. I have also changed needle and thread. No luck.

By Coral from Nudgee, QLD.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Try this. Turn your bobbincase on it's side. There should be a small screw. This will adjust the tension. When you put your bobbin in the bobbin case hang onto the thread and your bobbincase should slowly go downward (like a yo-yo). If it does not move you tightened the screw too much. Hope this helps.

Load More
Sewing Machine Sewing Blue Fabric
Repairing a Sewing Machine
Home and Garden Repair Machines Sewing MachinesDecember 3, 2012
Making a quilt square on a home sewing machine.
Machine Quilting on a Home Sewing Machine
Red Sewing Thread
Crocheting With Sewing Thread
The foot and needle of a sewing machine.
Repairing a Good Housekeeper Sewing Machine
Hands using a sewing machine.
Sewing Machine Stuck in Buttonhole Mode
👒
🐰
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site.
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 22, 2017 at 3:38:30 PM on 10.0.1.172 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.