Getting Dental Work Done Without Insurance

For the many people without dental insurance, there are sometimes affordable ways to get the needed work done. This is a guide about getting dental work done without insurance.

February 6, 2014 Flag

I'm 22 yrs old, with no dental insurance. I live in Northern California. I don't make much, about 700 a month. I need dental work pretty badly. I'm worried if my teeth get bad I'll lose my job, plus it's not healthy. :/

Any advice on where to go or anything helps. Thanks.

By Sierra S.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Go and talk to some dentists. Many have plans to pay over time. Make teeth your first priority. Put a little money away each paycheck. Make sure you aren't making them worse, no sweets or soda.

September 20, 2015 Flag

I am a 44 year old single mother on Social Security. I am low income and I am raising my daughter on low income. I have teeth that have cracked and I lost two. I am in need of the root to be pulled and that has been over due a year. I am in severe pain and my sister had a brain abcess and ended up in the hospital for three months after two brain surgeries. She was paralyzed on one side and did time in rehab. I am terrified of that being my fate. Is there any help with dental through Medicare? I have Medicare through Social Security Disability.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have no extra money. I have a sixteen year old girl. My dentures are so big I find it hard to est. How can I get help. I have no extra money at all.

January 30, 2014 Flag

I am in need of dental work. I have crappy credit and no insurance. I need to have all of my top teeth pulled and get dentures.

I fell on my face and knocked out a bunch of my teeth in front. I work with the public and need them fixed desperately. How can I get the work I need done?

By RL Taylor

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

In many places, schools of dentistry will accept patients for their training and at steep discounts. Don't worry that they are students, all work is supervised by licensed dentists. Worth investigating.

February 14, 2014 Flag

I am in desperate need for dental work. I am constantly sick with nausea and pain from my teeth not to mention I have lost my smile. I am 39 and all my teeth need to go they are in such bad shape. I have no insurance and I also separated from my husband of over 23 years due to an abusive situation. I have no income and have no where to turn. I am in Kentucky. Any suggestions?

By Ann

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I was 43 when I finally got dentures, and that was after my divorce became final and I got 3/4 of the profit from selling our house. I had been having toothaches, and teeth breaking off for about 15 years. My husband at the time had a really good job, and I was a stay at home Mom, doing a little daycare in our home. Any extra money we had went to buy guns, hunting trips, fishing trips, etc.

After the divorce I did get a job, cleaning motel rooms without teeth. I don't think there is anyplace where a person can get free dental work. If there is a dental school near you check with them, some dental schools do actual dental work on patients, and some don't. Where I live the only things the dental schools do is exams and cleaning.

March 10, 2016 Flag

I am here on a business and tourism trip. I'm not holding dental insurance. I have been suffering from a toothache and gum bleeding. But I don't know where to approach. Also I cannot afford expensive treatment. Please help me.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Place a piece of BREAD ON OR IN THE THROBBING TOOTH ACHE IT WILL STOP INSTENTLY!!!

August 21, 2015 Flag

I'm a diabetic and take insulin. My teeth are bad. I need new teeth. Where can I find dental service without insurance?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

maybe canada

March 1, 2016 Flag

I myself don't need dental work, but my family and I are in serious need of information on how to get dental work done for my father. My father is a disabled man who is 44 years old. He receives Social Security disability (not SSI). He also receives Medicare, but as you know Medicare does not cover dental. Our local DHHS will not give him Medicaid because they say his income is too high.

Here is the list of things my father has gone through in the past few years. 3 years ago he had a massive stroke, blood vessel in brain burst, the doctors say he is lucky to be alive. The stroke caused serious complications including learning how to eat, walk, talk, etc. He also has seizures from time to time, both gran mal and petit mal seizures. He suffers from serious rheumatoid arthritis, he is losing weight and bone mass as we speak. He hasn't had a solid meal in 3 years. He is on an all liquid diet. In the past he has had multiple blood clots, caused from a blood disease. He is on all types of medications for these problems (too many to talk about) way too many. 3 years ago his teeth started rotting out causing a very bad infection which he has had now for years. It won't go away because he needs serious help. He is in so much pain that it takes everything in him to get out of bed. I'd say he is 80% bed ridden. As of now he has 2 teeth left with a bad infection. Now we have all learned that tooth infection can cause serious damage. He is a stroke survivor with many other issues.

He needs dental surgery ASAP. Of course he can't afford his own dental insurance and the new affordable dental care program won't take him because he needs this dental work done in a surgical room. We have been told it needs to be done at U of M Hospital. This is a medical necessity! For 3 years now we all have struggled to get him back to where he needs to be. No one will give us answers or even try to help. We've been told in order for him to get Medicaid he needs to take away Medicare, but if he does that then he still makes too much money for Medicaid. If he can't afford to live then why would we do that? Any answers or information or anything would he greatly appreciated. Thank you in advanced. God Bless.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

The National Council for Aging site below has resources for dental care outside of Medicare that may help. You do not provide your location, however, if there are dental schools in your area, they provide low cost dental care.

http://drivease … ING_SERVICES.pdf

April 7, 2015 Flag

I need teeth pulled, a root canal, and my partial fixed.

By Annie

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You can go to a clinic and they should have a sliding fee price list. Which most often will be $20 per visit here where I live. I just got partials top and bottom, but I have medicaid.

March 5, 2015 Flag

I need to have what's left of my teeth pulled and then be fitted for dentures, but I'm on a low, fixed income. Where can I find information about this in Washington? I have no insurance.

By Joyce

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

http://www.need … ist&state=wa

This site lists 437 free, low-cost or sliding scale clinics in Washington. It shows eligibility and details. The towns are listed in alphabetical order.

For other state listings, just change the last two letters at the end of the web address to your state letters to get your states list.

January 12, 2011 Flag

I am in need of dental work, wisdom teeth removal. I am 52 yrs old, I do not qualify for medicaid, and can not afford dental insurance. Does anyone have any suggestions for finding affordable dental work?

By Maryjane from Taos, NM

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

maybe the emergency room, but expect a huge bill for a dental surgeon. The health clinic, but you should have no income, extraction only

July 18, 2013 Flag

I need urgent dental care. I have no insurance, no income, am disabled, and deaf, but can't get Social Security. Where do I go?

By Justine B

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

SSI and SSD take up to 3 years so if you have not signed up, please do, but don't wait for help. Ask your local hospital if they have emergency services as they can often tell you where to search if they can't help. Poor dental health can reach critical mass if you let it affect your heart and other systems. Sad to say it can affect almost every system we have so please, if you have to get on or ask someone to get you on FB and make a plea for donations. We bailed out every bank in 2009 why can't we help each other?

February 28, 2015 Flag

I am a senior citizen in need of dental work, but I have no insurance. I would appreciate suggestions very much. Thank you.

By Yvonne

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Call a few dentists in your area. Tell them what you need and your budget information for the dental work. Ask them what they can do for you. Ask if they would be willing to barter or if they belong to a bartering website.

September 14, 2015 Flag

I am on SSI and have dental coverage, but it will not pay for partials. I have all my front teeth in fair condition. I only have 2 back teeth and need partials to eat. I cannot pay very much. My income is very low. Can you offer suggestions please?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Dental schools-They offer reduced and some offer sliding fee services. Check for dental schools in your area-all work is overseen by the instructors.

May 9, 2011 Flag

I am in need of periodontal work and have no insurance. Where is the most inexpensive place to get it done?

By William G.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Dental schools. I had a lot of work, mainly fillings, done at the University of Pennsylvania years ago. The fillings lasted as long as most other ones I have had done by regular dentists.

January 31, 2016 Flag

I am on SSI and have to have new dentures. I live on a very low income and my husband is trying to get his SSI and is unemployed. We both need dentures; is there any place that has free or low cost denture care? Please help us.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I would assume you have Medicaid insurance to cover dental care? I would suggest you call the phone number on the back of the card if you do. They usually provide dentures for those in need.

March 17, 2015 Flag

I need a tooth pulled and have no insurance.

By Carol

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You can call dentists in your area for possible low fees, however, dentists must pay their bills too so there are very few low cost dentists. If there is a dental school in your area, you can check for treatment-all work is done by students and the instructors oversee.

March 12, 2015 Flag

How does that work? I don't have the money right now. I need my teeth fixed. I need cleaning, filling, Xray, and an exam now.

By RJ from Raleigh

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If you do not have dental insurance, you will pay full price for services. If you pay for dental insurance, they may or may not provide coverage for preexisting problems. If there is a dental training school in your area, they need patients for student training. All work is overseen by the instructors.

January 2, 2014 Flag

I was recently permanently disabled and now on Medicare (Blue Cross and Blue Shield). I need extensive dental work done, but BCBS doesn't cover it. What can I do if I can't afford to pay for work I need done? Does Medicare have any other options offered to them?

My husband is on Social Security Disability and has no insurance because SSD said they were 2 years behind when he went to sign up for his insurance. Now he has nothing and was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease. He takes meds everyday to try to somewhat control his symptoms! How can this be it? Seems so unfair that we payed into this while we could work, now he has no insurance until who know's when? And I can't get my dental work done. If anyone has any solution that they know of, let me know.

Thank You

By KK from Lockport, NY

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If you are near a university that has a dental program you may qualify for some work through them.

The truth is that many people need dental work that cannot afford it and have to find a dentist that will accept payments.

Medicare (or usually Medicaid for adults) does not cover dental work or hearing aids. Some states are different.

Most dental insurance plans cover very little over routine care.

A dental clinic is your best bet but they will not do it for free or not that I have ever known.

November 21, 2013 Flag

I am 19, have no dental insurance, no credit, and am on my own. I earn less than $600 a month in income and I am in some major pain. I live near Destin, Florida. Where can I find some help?

By Angela

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

When I was in your situation (many years ago), I was able to get help from my mom. Is that possible, even though you don't want to ask?

Second, in my area, we have a dental school, where the public can sign up to get treatment. It's either free or cheap, since you'd be treated by a student. But the care is pretty good. But you would go on a waiting list, so not really the answer for an emergency situation.

Third is to ask a dentist if you can sign up to pay a monthly fee for the bill (if your credit score is good).

Fourth, can you borrow from friends or anyone else, if you don't have relatives to help?

Fifth, is it possible to get a second job to get the $ to pay for dental bill? Temporary work, seasonal work?

Sixth, is it possible for you to get a job that pays more?

Seventh, with Obamacare, is it possible you'll get a subsidy? If you are in a state with expanded Medicaid. If so, you can buy dental insurance, starting 1/1/14.

No matter what happens with your teeth, I hope you find a way to learn a skill to get paid more, or you will face this problem repeatedly throughout your life. If you get a skilled permanent, full time job, you may be able to buy cheap dental insurance, and get health ins. paid for by your employer.

You also need to set aside a few dollars here and there (no buying Christmas gifts until you do!), to establish an emergency fund for things like this.

October 18, 2014 Flag

I broke my tooth in the front and it hurts so bad. I don't get money til November first and I went to Excel dental and did a exam and consultation. They said I need a root canal and crown....

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Load More
Budget & Finance Health InsuranceFebruary 8, 2013
Dentist Examining Woman's Teeth
Saving Money on Dental Work
Woman Preparing to Brush Her Teeth
Dental Health Tips
A woman at the dentist.
Buying Dental Insurance
Saving Money on Health Insurance, Health Insurance Paperwork
Saving Money on Health Insurance
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 24, 2017 at 10:44:03 AM on 10.0.1.97 in 5 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.