Getting Dental Work Done Without Insurance

For the many people without dental insurance, there are sometimes affordable ways to get the needed work done. This is a guide about getting dental work done without insurance.

A woman getting dental work done.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

I am here on a business and tourism trip. I'm not holding dental insurance. I have been suffering from a toothache and gum bleeding. But I don't know where to approach. Also I cannot afford expensive treatment. Please help me.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You don't say where "here" is, Jaffer. And I'm sorry to hear you're in pain. Please check for a dental college in your area? They may need you for part of their practical training and, as such, will charge much less than a fully trained dentist.

I myself don't need dental work, but my family and I are in serious need of information on how to get dental work done for my father. My father is a disabled man who is 44 years old. He receives Social Security disability (not SSI). He also receives Medicare, but as you know Medicare does not cover dental. Our local DHHS will not give him Medicaid because they say his income is too high.

Here is the list of things my father has gone through in the past few years. 3 years ago he had a massive stroke, blood vessel in brain burst, the doctors say he is lucky to be alive. The stroke caused serious complications including learning how to eat, walk, talk, etc. He also has seizures from time to time, both gran mal and petit mal seizures. He suffers from serious rheumatoid arthritis, he is losing weight and bone mass as we speak. He hasn't had a solid meal in 3 years. He is on an all liquid diet. In the past he has had multiple blood clots, caused from a blood disease. He is on all types of medications for these problems (too many to talk about) way too many. 3 years ago his teeth started rotting out causing a very bad infection which he has had now for years. It won't go away because he needs serious help. He is in so much pain that it takes everything in him to get out of bed. I'd say he is 80% bed ridden. As of now he has 2 teeth left with a bad infection. Now we have all learned that tooth infection can cause serious damage. He is a stroke survivor with many other issues.

He needs dental surgery ASAP. Of course he can't afford his own dental insurance and the new affordable dental care program won't take him because he needs this dental work done in a surgical room. We have been told it needs to be done at U of M Hospital. This is a medical necessity! For 3 years now we all have struggled to get him back to where he needs to be. No one will give us answers or even try to help. We've been told in order for him to get Medicaid he needs to take away Medicare, but if he does that then he still makes too much money for Medicaid. If he can't afford to live then why would we do that? Any answers or information or anything would he greatly appreciated. Thank you in advanced. God Bless.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

The National Council for Aging site below has resources for dental care outside of Medicare that may help. You do not provide your location, however, if there are dental schools in your area, they provide low cost dental care.

http://driveaseniorsouthaustin.org/ ... AL,_VISION,_AND_HEARING_SERVICES.pdf

I'm 22 yrs old, with no dental insurance. I live in Northern California. I don't make much, about 700 a month. I need dental work pretty badly. I'm worried if my teeth get bad I'll lose my job, plus it's not healthy. :/

Any advice on where to go or anything helps. Thanks.

By Sierra S.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
      Best Answer

Go and talk to some dentists. Many have plans to pay over time. Make teeth your first priority. Put a little money away each paycheck. Make sure you aren't making them worse, no sweets or soda.

Read More Answers...

I am on SSI and have to have new dentures. I live on a very low income and my husband is trying to get his SSI and is unemployed. We both need dentures; is there any place that has free or low cost denture care? Please help us.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I would assume you have Medicaid insurance to cover dental care? I would suggest you call the phone number on the back of the card if you do. They usually provide dentures for those in need.

I am a 44 year old single mother on Social Security. I am low income and I am raising my daughter on low income. I have teeth that have cracked and I lost two. I am in need of the root to be pulled and that has been over due a year. I am in severe pain and my sister had a brain abcess and ended up in the hospital for three months after two brain surgeries. She was paralyzed on one side and did time in rehab. I am terrified of that being my fate. Is there any help with dental through Medicare? I have Medicare through Social Security Disability.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

you may be able to get some information at this site:

https://www.ncoa.org/economic-secur ... ther-benefits/dental-vision-hearing/

Read More Answers...

I'm a diabetic and take insulin. My teeth are bad. I need new teeth. Where can I find dental service without insurance?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Many Dental colleges take patients at reduced rates. You will be cared for by a Dental student supervised by a dentist. Check around to see if there are any colleges in your area

Read More Answers...

I am in desperate need for dental work. I am constantly sick with nausea and pain from my teeth not to mention I have lost my smile. I am 39 and all my teeth need to go they are in such bad shape. I have no insurance and I also separated from my husband of over 23 years due to an abusive situation. I have no income and have no where to turn. I am in Kentucky. Any suggestions?

By Ann

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
            Best Answer

I was 43 when I finally got dentures, and that was after my divorce became final and I got 3/4 of the profit from selling our house. I had been having toothaches, and teeth breaking off for about 15 years. My husband at the time had a really good job, and I was a stay at home Mom, doing a little daycare in our home. Any extra money we had went to buy guns, hunting trips, fishing trips, etc.

After the divorce I did get a job, cleaning motel rooms without teeth. I don't think there is anyplace where a person can get free dental work. If there is a dental school near you check with them, some dental schools do actual dental work on patients, and some don't. Where I live the only things the dental schools do is exams and cleaning.

Read More Answers...

I am in need of dental work. I have crappy credit and no insurance. I need to have all of my top teeth pulled and get dentures.

I fell on my face and knocked out a bunch of my teeth in front. I work with the public and need them fixed desperately. How can I get the work I need done?

By RL Taylor

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
            Best Answer

In many places, schools of dentistry will accept patients for their training and at steep discounts. Don't worry that they are students, all work is supervised by licensed dentists. Worth investigating.

Read More Answers...

I am on SSI and have dental coverage, but it will not pay for partials. I have all my front teeth in fair condition. I only have 2 back teeth and need partials to eat. I cannot pay very much. My income is very low. Can you offer suggestions please?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Delta Dental Insurance is offered by AARP ... I pay a monthly fee for my dental coverage which takes care of $1,000 of dental work a year. The dental insurance with them runs me about $16 a week which equals $64 a month. To me they are a God send as I am on SSDI myself, hope this helps!

Read More Answers...

I need to have what's left of my teeth pulled and then be fitted for dentures, but I'm on a low, fixed income. Where can I find information about this in Washington? I have no insurance.

By Joyce

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I apologize, the previous address is for the medical clinics in Washington state. Here is the address for the dental.

http://www.needymeds.org/free_denta ... nics.taf?_function=list&state=WA

Read More Answers...

I need teeth pulled, a root canal, and my partial fixed.

By Annie

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You can go to a clinic and they should have a sliding fee price list. Which most often will be $20 per visit here where I live. I just got partials top and bottom, but I have medicaid.

Read More Answers...

I am a senior citizen in need of dental work, but I have no insurance. I would appreciate suggestions very much. Thank you.

By Yvonne

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

National Council on Aging 1-800-677-1116

http://www.ncoa.org/enhance-economi ... cess/how-to-get-help-for-dental.html

Praying for You to get the help you need.

Read More Answers...

Where in Fresno California could I get help on pulling a tooth? I am on disabiity and do not have dental insurance. My supplemental health insurance and Medicare do not cover my dental! Money is tight so I need something affordable. Thanks.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

The California Dental Association lists low cost dental services in the Fresno area on this site:

http://www.cda.org/PublicResources/ ... id=d712nwaxbvqp8pvi&sb-inst=1081

I need a tooth pulled and have no insurance.

By Carol

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Dental school in my area is a good choice but difficult to get/receive care as they have certain days and the person has to be at the college very early (first come first serve) and then return the following day for work to be done. Upfront fee right now is 90.00 for X-ray and simple extraction. Any other work has to scheduled at their "convenience" and may be a long wait period plus extra cost.

There may be a dentist in your area that works on an income sliding scale but there may/will still be a 75.00 (or more) upfront fee. Try looking at this site for help:

Read More Answers...

How does that work? I don't have the money right now. I need my teeth fixed. I need cleaning, filling, Xray, and an exam now.

By RJ from Raleigh

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You can Google your question with your state name and you may find some answers.

It is very rare that dental work is free to anyone other than children covered by Medicaid.

Here is one site you can try:

Read More Answers...

I am in need of dental work, wisdom teeth removal. I am 52 yrs old, I do not qualify for medicaid, and can not afford dental insurance. Does anyone have any suggestions for finding affordable dental work?

By Maryjane from Taos, NM

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You might want to try Care Credit. With Care Credit you can charge a certain amount for medical/dental work (if the dentist will accept it) and if you pay back the amount borrowed within 18 mos., you pay no interest (Care Credit can also be used for payment of pets' medical issues). You can apply for Care Credit on line. Also, you might want to see if your dentist takes the Avia dental plan, if it is offeredin your area. I pay $13.50 a month for my entire family which allows us discounts at our dental office. For example, today I had a cleaning, exam and two bitewings and under the Avia plan, my dentist charged me $55 instead of $110.00. For a single person, the per month cost would be less, I believe.

Read More Answers...

I need urgent dental care. I have no insurance, no income, am disabled, and deaf, but can't get Social Security. Where do I go?

AnswerMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I'm in bad need of help. I live in California around San Bernardino. I have bad toothache where I had broken a tooth around a year ago. I have no insurance. Is there anywhere near me where i can get this fixed? I've read in several places that this is very bad and could even kill due to infection.

Load More
                Budget & Finance Health InsuranceFebruary 8, 2013
                Woman Preparing to Brush Her Teeth
                Dental Health Tips
                A woman at the dentist.
                Buying Dental Insurance
                Saving Money on Health Insurance, Health Insurance Paperwork
                Saving Money on Health Insurance
                © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on April 30, 2016 at 12:05:07 AM on 10.0.2.93 in 627 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.