Getting Dental Work Done Without Insurance

For the many people without dental insurance, there are sometimes affordable ways to get the needed work done. This is a guide about getting dental work done without insurance.

A woman receiving dental care.

There are a few medical needs that Medicare does not cover. Dental is one of those, with most procedures not covered. This is a guide about, "Does Medicare have dental coverage?".

My tooth hurts very badly. I have been to a dentist and he said I need a root canal, but I don't have insurance because I do not work. I came into the USA last year in December, so I don't have a job yet. What can I do to get a root canal without insurance?
Thank you.

I,m in the same boat myself. Found out oil pulling works well. Also saw on internet that comphrey root and eggshells will assist. Trying that now.

I'm 22 yrs old, with no dental insurance. I live in Northern California. I don't make much, about 700 a month. I need dental work pretty badly. I'm worried if my teeth get bad I'll lose my job, plus it's not healthy. :/

Any advice on where to go or anything helps. Thanks.

By Sierra S.

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Best Answer

Go and talk to some dentists. Many have plans to pay over time. Make teeth your first priority. Put a little money away each paycheck. Make sure you aren't making them worse, no sweets or soda.

I am in need of dental work, wisdom teeth removal. I am 52 yrs old, I do not qualify for medicaid, and can not afford dental insurance. Does anyone have any suggestions for finding affordable dental work?

By Maryjane from Taos, NM

Best Answer

Are you anywhere near a university with a dental school? Dental students need patients to work on and the cost is much lower than on the outside.

I am in need of dental work. I have crappy credit and no insurance. I need to have all of my top teeth pulled and get dentures.

I fell on my face and knocked out a bunch of my teeth in front. I work with the public and need them fixed desperately. How can I get the work I need done?

By RL Taylor

Best Answer

In many places, schools of dentistry will accept patients for their training and at steep discounts. Don't worry that they are students, all work is supervised by licensed dentists. Worth investigating.

I am in need of periodontal work and have no insurance. Where is the most inexpensive place to get it done?

By William G.

Best Answer

If there are no dental schools in your area, call the Department of Social Services. and see if there are any dental clinics in your area that charge you for dental work according to your income.

I am in desperate need for dental work. I am constantly sick with nausea and pain from my teeth not to mention I have lost my smile. I am 39 and all my teeth need to go they are in such bad shape. I have no insurance and I also separated from my husband of over 23 years due to an abusive situation. I have no income and have no where to turn. I am in Kentucky. Any suggestions?

By Ann

Best Answer

I was 43 when I finally got dentures, and that was after my divorce became final and I got 3/4 of the profit from selling our house. I had been having toothaches, and teeth breaking off for about 15 years. My husband at the time had a really good job, and I was a stay at home Mom, doing a little daycare in our home. Any extra money we had went to buy guns, hunting trips, fishing trips, etc.

After the divorce I did get a job, cleaning motel rooms without teeth. I don't think there is anyplace where a person can get free dental work. If there is a dental school near you check with them, some dental schools do actual dental work on patients, and some don't. Where I live the only things the dental schools do is exams and cleaning.

I am here on a business and tourism trip. I'm not holding dental insurance. I have been suffering from a toothache and gum bleeding. But I don't know where to approach. Also I cannot afford expensive treatment. Please help me.

Place a piece of BREAD ON OR IN THE THROBBING TOOTH ACHE IT WILL STOP INSTENTLY!!!

I'm a diabetic and take insulin. My teeth are bad. I need new teeth. Where can I find dental service without insurance?

maybe canada

I myself don't need dental work, but my family and I are in serious need of information on how to get dental work done for my father. My father is a disabled man who is 44 years old. He receives Social Security disability (not SSI). He also receives Medicare, but as you know Medicare does not cover dental. Our local DHHS will not give him Medicaid because they say his income is too high.

Here is the list of things my father has gone through in the past few years. 3 years ago he had a massive stroke, blood vessel in brain burst, the doctors say he is lucky to be alive. The stroke caused serious complications including learning how to eat, walk, talk, etc. He also has seizures from time to time, both gran mal and petit mal seizures. He suffers from serious rheumatoid arthritis, he is losing weight and bone mass as we speak. He hasn't had a solid meal in 3 years. He is on an all liquid diet. In the past he has had multiple blood clots, caused from a blood disease. He is on all types of medications for these problems (too many to talk about) way too many. 3 years ago his teeth started rotting out causing a very bad infection which he has had now for years. It won't go away because he needs serious help. He is in so much pain that it takes everything in him to get out of bed. I'd say he is 80% bed ridden. As of now he has 2 teeth left with a bad infection. Now we have all learned that tooth infection can cause serious damage. He is a stroke survivor with many other issues.

He needs dental surgery ASAP. Of course he can't afford his own dental insurance and the new affordable dental care program won't take him because he needs this dental work done in a surgical room. We have been told it needs to be done at U of M Hospital. This is a medical necessity! For 3 years now we all have struggled to get him back to where he needs to be. No one will give us answers or even try to help. We've been told in order for him to get Medicaid he needs to take away Medicare, but if he does that then he still makes too much money for Medicaid. If he can't afford to live then why would we do that? Any answers or information or anything would he greatly appreciated. Thank you in advanced. God Bless.

The National Council for Aging site below has resources for dental care outside of Medicare that may help. You do not provide your location, however, if there are dental schools in your area, they provide low cost dental care.

http://drivease … ING_SERVICES.pdf

I need teeth pulled, a root canal, and my partial fixed.

By Annie

You can go to a clinic and they should have a sliding fee price list. Which most often will be $20 per visit here where I live. I just got partials top and bottom, but I have medicaid.

I need to have what's left of my teeth pulled and then be fitted for dentures, but I'm on a low, fixed income. Where can I find information about this in Washington? I have no insurance.

By Joyce

http://www.need … ist&state=wa

This site lists 437 free, low-cost or sliding scale clinics in Washington. It shows eligibility and details. The towns are listed in alphabetical order.

For other state listings, just change the last two letters at the end of the web address to your state letters to get your states list.

I am on SSI and have dental coverage, but it will not pay for partials. I have all my front teeth in fair condition. I only have 2 back teeth and need partials to eat. I cannot pay very much. My income is very low. Can you offer suggestions please?

Dental schools-They offer reduced and some offer sliding fee services. Check for dental schools in your area-all work is overseen by the instructors.

I am a senior citizen in need of dental work, but I have no insurance. I would appreciate suggestions very much. Thank you.

By Yvonne

Call a few dentists in your area. Tell them what you need and your budget information for the dental work. Ask them what they can do for you. Ask if they would be willing to barter or if they belong to a bartering website.

I need urgent dental care. I have no insurance, no income, am disabled, and deaf, but can't get Social Security. Where do I go?

By Justine B

SSI and SSD take up to 3 years so if you have not signed up, please do, but don't wait for help. Ask your local hospital if they have emergency services as they can often tell you where to search if they can't help. Poor dental health can reach critical mass if you let it affect your heart and other systems. Sad to say it can affect almost every system we have so please, if you have to get on or ask someone to get you on FB and make a plea for donations. We bailed out every bank in 2009 why can't we help each other?

I am on SSI and have to have new dentures. I live on a very low income and my husband is trying to get his SSI and is unemployed. We both need dentures; is there any place that has free or low cost denture care? Please help us.

I would assume you have Medicaid insurance to cover dental care? I would suggest you call the phone number on the back of the card if you do. They usually provide dentures for those in need.

I need a tooth pulled and have no insurance.

By Carol

You can call dentists in your area for possible low fees, however, dentists must pay their bills too so there are very few low cost dentists. If there is a dental school in your area, you can check for treatment-all work is done by students and the instructors oversee.

How does that work? I don't have the money right now. I need my teeth fixed. I need cleaning, filling, Xray, and an exam now.

By RJ from Raleigh

If you do not have dental insurance, you will pay full price for services. If you pay for dental insurance, they may or may not provide coverage for preexisting problems. If there is a dental training school in your area, they need patients for student training. All work is overseen by the instructors.

Where in Fresno California could I get help on pulling a tooth? I am on disabiity and do not have dental insurance. My supplemental health insurance and Medicare do not cover my dental! Money is tight so I need something affordable. Thanks.

The California Dental Association lists low cost dental services in the Fresno area on this site:

http://www.cda. … amp;sb-inst=1081

I was recently permanently disabled and now on Medicare (Blue Cross and Blue Shield). I need extensive dental work done, but BCBS doesn't cover it. What can I do if I can't afford to pay for work I need done? Does Medicare have any other options offered to them?

My husband is on Social Security Disability and has no insurance because SSD said they were 2 years behind when he went to sign up for his insurance. Now he has nothing and was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease. He takes meds everyday to try to somewhat control his symptoms! How can this be it? Seems so unfair that we payed into this while we could work, now he has no insurance until who know's when? And I can't get my dental work done. If anyone has any solution that they know of, let me know.

Thank You

By KK from Lockport, NY

If you are near a university that has a dental program you may qualify for some work through them.

The truth is that many people need dental work that cannot afford it and have to find a dentist that will accept payments.

Medicare (or usually Medicaid for adults) does not cover dental work or hearing aids. Some states are different.

Most dental insurance plans cover very little over routine care.

A dental clinic is your best bet but they will not do it for free or not that I have ever known.

I broke my tooth in the front and it hurts so bad. I don't get money til November first and I went to Excel dental and did a exam and consultation. They said I need a root canal and crown....

Load More