Getting Dental Work Done Without Insurance

For the many people without dental insurance, there are sometimes affordable ways to get the needed work done. This is a guide about getting dental work done without insurance.

I'm 22 yrs old, with no dental insurance. I live in Northern California. I don't make much, about 700 a month. I need dental work pretty badly. I'm worried if my teeth get bad I'll lose my job, plus it's not healthy. :/

Any advice on where to go or anything helps. Thanks.

By Sierra S.

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Best Answer

Go and talk to some dentists. Many have plans to pay over time. Make teeth your first priority. Put a little money away each paycheck. Make sure you aren't making them worse, no sweets or soda.

I'm a diabetic and take insulin. My teeth are bad. I need new teeth. Where can I find dental service without insurance?

Best Answer

If there are dental schools in your area, you can obtain many dental services from them. All procedures are overseen by the instructors and fees are low cost. Also, they might have a sliding fee based upon income. Search online for dental schools by state in the US on this site :

http://www.asda  tal-schools.aspx

I am in need of dental work. I have crappy credit and no insurance. I need to have all of my top teeth pulled and get dentures.

I fell on my face and knocked out a bunch of my teeth in front. I work with the public and need them fixed desperately. How can I get the work I need done?

By RL Taylor

Best Answer

In many places, schools of dentistry will accept patients for their training and at steep discounts. Don't worry that they are students, all work is supervised by licensed dentists. Worth investigating.

I need urgent dental care. I have no insurance, no income, am disabled, and deaf, but can't get Social Security. Where do I go?

By Justine B

SSI and SSD take up to 3 years so if you have not signed up, please do, but don't wait for help. Ask your local hospital if they have emergency services as they can often tell you where to search if they can't help. Poor dental health can reach critical mass if you let it affect your heart and other systems. Sad to say it can affect almost every system we have so please, if you have to get on or ask someone to get you on FB and make a plea for donations. We bailed out every bank in 2009 why can't we help each other?

I have periodontal disease but no insurance. I have had it for a while. I have had two gum surgeries in the past. I haven't seen a dentist in about five years after losing my job. I lost my insurance and have not been able to afford to buy insurance. And my gums have progressed with deep pockets, spaces developed between my teeth and gums. I have loose teeth and need at least 2 teeth to be extracted now. I have puffy, swollen, and bleeding gums. I am in pain and eating soft food. I don't want to lose all of my teeth. I am only 53 and devastated right now.

On February 25, 2014 I went to Baylor College of Dentistry in Dallas, TX, and I was advised that in order for them to accept me as a student patient I would have to allow them to do dentures. I am not ready for that yet. Can someone help me with other options? I live in Dallas, Texas. Where can I find a free dental clinic to accept me with no insurance?

By Jacqueline W

I wish I could suggest something for you beyond ringing around to dentists in your area and asking if they will work out a payment plan for you - not likely to happen these days unfortunately.

If you have been seen at the dental school and they are saying you need dentures, there isn't a dentist in TX or any other US state who will try to save your remaining teeth without huge amounts of cash, and with the disclaimer that there are no guarantees that they can save your teeth. It may be that the condition of your teeth, and the periodontal disease caused bone loss, means your teeth cannot be saved.

If you've been seen at the dental school and this is what they've told you, please let them do the work! You will be shocked to find you feel much better - periodontal disease at the stage you're describing is terribly debilitating and you don't know how much it drains you until you have the treatment and suddenly your energy returns! Please keep reading to learn how I know this...

I lived in the US Deep South (AL and GA) for many years, I've now relocated to Scotland but whilst in the US I lost my job and insurance (forced into early retirement with a very small pension which did not cover living expenses much less insurance!) during dental treatment - which then ended abruptly with the end of my insurance.

I'd had an impact injury that cost me my upper five front teeth (full speed dog meet face) and while luckily I still had insurance at the time so the upper plate was covered, they also found periodontal disease and I was smack in the middle of treatment for that when I lost my job and insurance. At the last visit the dentist told me - Rinse twice a day with Listerine until you can afford dental insurance again.' I did eventually find another job (not easy at 52, btw) but it didn't come with insurance. The pain from the disease was horrific, I'm still not sure how I made it through it.

After meeting a Scotsman whom I married in 2011 I now live in the UK where medical and dental insurance is much more reasonable - my pension covers my premiums and I've had proper care for the periodontal disease. I'm now 57 and feel like a 30yo!

Yes, I did lose a few more teeth. Dentures aren't all that much fun but compared to how unwell I was before getting proper treatment, I can so do the dentures!

Please hang in there. I do know how awful what you're enduring is, and I know how hard it is to give the go ahead to lose your teeth. But the benefits are so great that I urge you to let the dental school go ahead if that is what they believe is best.

Please update if you're up to it. Meanwhile I'll be praying for you.

My tooth hurts very badly. I have been to a dentist and he said I need a root canal, but I don't have insurance because I do not work. I came into the USA last year in December, so I don't have a job yet. What can I do to get a root canal without insurance?
Thank you.

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Anonymous

Usually you wil can get emergency dental work if pain is involved. Call your community dentist.

I need a tooth pulled immediately, but I do not have Medicaid or insurance coverage what are my options?

By JM

Best Answer

Call the county health department. Where I live the Health Dept referred me to another county department that gives vouchers to have a tooth extracted.

I am in need of dental work, wisdom teeth removal. I am 52 yrs old, I do not qualify for medicaid, and can not afford dental insurance. Does anyone have any suggestions for finding affordable dental work?

By Maryjane from Taos, NM

Best Answer

Are you anywhere near a university with a dental school? Dental students need patients to work on and the cost is much lower than on the outside.

I am in need of periodontal work and have no insurance. Where is the most inexpensive place to get it done?

By William G.

Best Answer

If there are no dental schools in your area, call the Department of Social Services. and see if there are any dental clinics in your area that charge you for dental work according to your income.

I am in desperate need for dental work. I am constantly sick with nausea and pain from my teeth not to mention I have lost my smile. I am 39 and all my teeth need to go they are in such bad shape. I have no insurance and I also separated from my husband of over 23 years due to an abusive situation. I have no income and have no where to turn. I am in Kentucky. Any suggestions?

By Ann

Best Answer

I was 43 when I finally got dentures, and that was after my divorce became final and I got 3/4 of the profit from selling our house. I had been having toothaches, and teeth breaking off for about 15 years. My husband at the time had a really good job, and I was a stay at home Mom, doing a little daycare in our home. Any extra money we had went to buy guns, hunting trips, fishing trips, etc.

After the divorce I did get a job, cleaning motel rooms without teeth. I don't think there is anyplace where a person can get free dental work. If there is a dental school near you check with them, some dental schools do actual dental work on patients, and some don't. Where I live the only things the dental schools do is exams and cleaning.

Where can I find dental care in/around Nashville, Tennessee area for low income patients with no insurance?

By Kim

Best Answer

I would look in the phone book, also contact your county welfare department, they might help with that or have an idea where to refer you. If they can help you financially they will need proof of income. If you have a dental school in the area check with them. However, some dental schools will only do exams and cleaning. Most places that help with things like this will want proof of income and what you consider to be low income and you might not meet the income guidelines.

I am on SSI and have to have new dentures. I live on a very low income and my husband is trying to get his SSI and is unemployed. We both need dentures; is there any place that has free or low cost denture care? Please help us.

Answer Was this helpful? 1

I would assume you have Medicaid insurance to cover dental care? I would suggest you call the phone number on the back of the card if you do. They usually provide dentures for those in need.

I am here on a business and tourism trip. I'm not holding dental insurance. I have been suffering from a toothache and gum bleeding. But I don't know where to approach. Also I cannot afford expensive treatment. Please help me.

Place a piece of BREAD ON OR IN THE THROBBING TOOTH ACHE IT WILL STOP INSTENTLY!!!

I myself don't need dental work, but my family and I are in serious need of information on how to get dental work done for my father. My father is a disabled man who is 44 years old. He receives Social Security disability (not SSI). He also receives Medicare, but as you know Medicare does not cover dental. Our local DHHS will not give him Medicaid because they say his income is too high.

Here is the list of things my father has gone through in the past few years. 3 years ago he had a massive stroke, blood vessel in brain burst, the doctors say he is lucky to be alive. The stroke caused serious complications including learning how to eat, walk, talk, etc. He also has seizures from time to time, both gran mal and petit mal seizures. He suffers from serious rheumatoid arthritis, he is losing weight and bone mass as we speak. He hasn't had a solid meal in 3 years. He is on an all liquid diet. In the past he has had multiple blood clots, caused from a blood disease. He is on all types of medications for these problems (too many to talk about) way too many. 3 years ago his teeth started rotting out causing a very bad infection which he has had now for years. It won't go away because he needs serious help. He is in so much pain that it takes everything in him to get out of bed. I'd say he is 80% bed ridden. As of now he has 2 teeth left with a bad infection. Now we have all learned that tooth infection can cause serious damage. He is a stroke survivor with many other issues.

He needs dental surgery ASAP. Of course he can't afford his own dental insurance and the new affordable dental care program won't take him because he needs this dental work done in a surgical room. We have been told it needs to be done at U of M Hospital. This is a medical necessity! For 3 years now we all have struggled to get him back to where he needs to be. No one will give us answers or even try to help. We've been told in order for him to get Medicaid he needs to take away Medicare, but if he does that then he still makes too much money for Medicaid. If he can't afford to live then why would we do that? Any answers or information or anything would he greatly appreciated. Thank you in advanced. God Bless.

The National Council for Aging site below has resources for dental care outside of Medicare that may help. You do not provide your location, however, if there are dental schools in your area, they provide low cost dental care.

http://drivease  ING_SERVICES.pdf

I need teeth pulled, a root canal, and my partial fixed.

By Annie

You can go to a clinic and they should have a sliding fee price list. Which most often will be $20 per visit here where I live. I just got partials top and bottom, but I have medicaid.

I need to have what's left of my teeth pulled and then be fitted for dentures, but I'm on a low, fixed income. Where can I find information about this in Washington? I have no insurance.

By Joyce

http://www.need  ist&state=wa

This site lists 437 free, low-cost or sliding scale clinics in Washington. It shows eligibility and details. The towns are listed in alphabetical order.

For other state listings, just change the last two letters at the end of the web address to your state letters to get your states list.

I am a senior citizen in need of dental work, but I have no insurance. I would appreciate suggestions very much. Thank you.

By Yvonne

Call a few dentists in your area. Tell them what you need and your budget information for the dental work. Ask them what they can do for you. Ask if they would be willing to barter or if they belong to a bartering website.

I am on SSI and have dental coverage, but it will not pay for partials. I have all my front teeth in fair condition. I only have 2 back teeth and need partials to eat. I cannot pay very much. My income is very low. Can you offer suggestions please?

Dental schools-They offer reduced and some offer sliding fee services. Check for dental schools in your area-all work is overseen by the instructors.

I need a tooth pulled and have no insurance.

By Carol

You can call dentists in your area for possible low fees, however, dentists must pay their bills too so there are very few low cost dentists. If there is a dental school in your area, you can check for treatment-all work is done by students and the instructors oversee.

How does that work? I don't have the money right now. I need my teeth fixed. I need cleaning, filling, Xray, and an exam now.

By RJ from Raleigh

If you do not have dental insurance, you will pay full price for services. If you pay for dental insurance, they may or may not provide coverage for preexisting problems. If there is a dental training school in your area, they need patients for student training. All work is overseen by the instructors.

I was recently permanently disabled and now on Medicare (Blue Cross and Blue Shield). I need extensive dental work done, but BCBS doesn't cover it. What can I do if I can't afford to pay for work I need done? Does Medicare have any other options offered to them?

My husband is on Social Security Disability and has no insurance because SSD said they were 2 years behind when he went to sign up for his insurance. Now he has nothing and was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease. He takes meds everyday to try to somewhat control his symptoms! How can this be it? Seems so unfair that we payed into this while we could work, now he has no insurance until who know's when? And I can't get my dental work done. If anyone has any solution that they know of, let me know.

Thank You

By KK from Lockport, NY

If you are near a university that has a dental program you may qualify for some work through them.

The truth is that many people need dental work that cannot afford it and have to find a dentist that will accept payments.

Medicare (or usually Medicaid for adults) does not cover dental work or hearing aids. Some states are different.

Most dental insurance plans cover very little over routine care.

A dental clinic is your best bet but they will not do it for free or not that I have ever known.

I broke my tooth in the front and it hurts so bad. I don't get money til November first and I went to Excel dental and did a exam and consultation. They said I need a root canal and crown, but won't do anything til I pay 1000 $, but I'm in so much pain. I can't eat, drink, or sleep. What can I do?

By Brianna

You could check dental schools in your area where students will perform work on patients as part of their studies, or try to see if something on this website works for you in your area. Good luck!

http://www.nidc  h.gov/oralhealth ... blications/findinglowcostdentalcare/

I am 19, have no dental insurance, no credit, and am on my own. I earn less than $600 a month in income and I am in some major pain. I live near Destin, Florida. Where can I find some help?

By Angela

When I was in your situation (many years ago), I was able to get help from my mom. Is that possible, even though you don't want to ask?

Second, in my area, we have a dental school, where the public can sign up to get treatment. It's either free or cheap, since you'd be treated by a student. But the care is pretty good. But you would go on a waiting list, so not really the answer for an emergency situation.

Third is to ask a dentist if you can sign up to pay a monthly fee for the bill (if your credit score is good).

Fourth, can you borrow from friends or anyone else, if you don't have relatives to help?

Fifth, is it possible to get a second job to get the $ to pay for dental bill? Temporary work, seasonal work?

Sixth, is it possible for you to get a job that pays more?

Seventh, with Obamacare, is it possible you'll get a subsidy? If you are in a state with expanded Medicaid. If so, you can buy dental insurance, starting 1/1/14.

No matter what happens with your teeth, I hope you find a way to learn a skill to get paid more, or you will face this problem repeatedly throughout your life. If you get a skilled permanent, full time job, you may be able to buy cheap dental insurance, and get health ins. paid for by your employer.

You also need to set aside a few dollars here and there (no buying Christmas gifts until you do!), to establish an emergency fund for things like this.

Where in Fresno California could I get help on pulling a tooth? I am on disabiity and do not have dental insurance. My supplemental health insurance and Medicare do not cover my dental! Money is tight so I need something affordable. Thanks.

The California Dental Association lists low cost dental services in the Fresno area on this site:

http://www.cda.  amp;sb-inst=1081

I'm in bad need of help. I live in California around San Bernardino. I have an insanely bad toothache where I had broken a tooth around a year ago. I have no insurance and make barely enough to pay rent, bills, and food. Is there anywhere near me where i can get this fixed? I've read in several places that this is very bad and could even kill due to infection.

Loma Linda University has an urgent care clinic staffed by dental students with oversight by dental instructors. Call 909.558.4666.

Load More