Uses for Old Greeting Cards

Over the years we receive many greeting cards, but storing them all in a box can get out of hand. This is a guide about uses for old greeting cards.

Using Old Christmas Cards
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

My father passed away recently and we were getting cards from all over and from people that my brother and I weren't familar with. Instead of trying to keep envelope with the card, I just tore off the return address and taped it to the back of the card.

When I'm sending acknowledgements and thank you notes, I know exactly who and where to send it to. It gives me a bit of inspiration when writing the note because i have the card right with the address. Much later, when looking through the cards, I'll also have an idea of who the card came from instead of trying to figure out who 'Jean" is.

By lkaserman from Adelphi Maryland

CommentMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Example of recarded Christmas card.Recarding should be the wave of the future. I save all my old greeting cards and even ask others to donate to me. By cutting certain words, pictures, trim, and colored parts of the cards you are able to recard or recreate a new card.

I use paint card samples from the hardware store that are being thrown out. These bright colored card backgrounds support the scrapbooking design papers or scraps from magazines or the computer. They actually look professional and no one will even know that you recarded. I keep glitter, buttons, ribbons, and stickers handy to embellish the new cards.

Making envelopes is easy too. I measure the card and reuse the back pages from hardback books as the envelopes. Old wallpaper or scraps of cloth are sometimes used too.

By Louella from Billings, MT

Recycled cards and embellishments.

Don't throw away all the pretty Christmas cards you get away. There are so many things you can do with them. Everyone knows you can make postcards and name tags for gifts with them, but you can also cut out the design you might want to use when you scrapbook. Scrapbooking is a fun thing to do with them. You can also decoupage with them. You can use cards from birthdays, Valentine's Day, Easter, etc. to do your crafts with and not have to buy the pretty designs. I also decoupage my soap with the designs I have cut from the cards. There are so many things you can do with the pretty cards you have received. Have fun!

By dwedenoja from New Creek, WV

Greeting Card BookmarksI grew up with my mother recycling things out of necessity. Now, many years later, it is not only out of necessity to save money, but also to help the environment. I collect up old greeting cards (birthday and Christmas) and make lovely bookmarks to give out to friends at Christmas time. They make a special extra touch when giving a book to someone as well. This craft is a great recycling project for children too, by teaching them not to throw their birthday cards away. No need to buy a bookmark anymore.

Instructions:

Collect old greeting cards, you only need the fronts. Be creative. Cut out bookmark size shapes without any words on it. Punch a small hole in the center top and thread a string or narrow ribbon through (see photo). Use fancy edged scissors for a unique look, or ordinary scissors will do the trick.

By linn.2009 from Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

Keep birthday, Christmas, and get well cards and use them as postcards. Just cut them apart and then draw a line to separate the message from the name and address.

How I can have them send to me, instead of recoiled or put in garbage?

By catcabcas from Duluth, MN

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Recycle them into Christmas card boxes that you can put cookies, candy or some other goody. You can give as Christmas gifts.

Read More Answers...

Greeting Card Sewing CardHere's a great, inexpensive gift idea to keep youngsters entertained. Create cute sewing cards that are super easy to make. You can use the fronts of old greeting cards or glue calendar pictures to cardboard. Kids can sew lengths of ribbon or yarn through holes punched in the cards.

Approximate Time: Less than 30 minutes to make several

• greeting cards
  • calendar pictures
  • thin cardboard or poster board
  • glue
  • ribbon or yarn
  • clear tape

Instructions:

1. If using calendar pictures, glue picture to thin cardboard or poster board.
  2. Cut out pictures into shapes, such as heart, star, etc.
  3. Punch pairs of holes about 1 1/2" apart along edges of shape. measure around edges of cutout; add 20".
  4. Cut a length of yarn or ribbon the determined measurement. Stiffen the ends of the yarn or ribbon by wrapping a piece of clear tape around each end.

Kids can "sew" ribbon through holes in card and then ties ends into a bow.

Any card you receive, that has not been written on the back of the front side, can be reused. It can be turned into a postcard or or used as a note stuck on a gift or in a gift bag!

This is a guide about making a greeting card trivet. Old greeting cards can be used in many crafts. Use a favorite one to make a unique trivet.

Finished tile trivet project (square format).

Any suggestions for recycling old birthday and greeting cards?

monnat96 from Pingree Grove, IL

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You could use them to decoupage a box and make a cute trinket box.

Read More Answers...

I use old greeting cards and scratched cds to make beautiful coasters. You make a template from a piece of acetate and place this so the part of the card you want to use is central.

Does anyone have any ideas about what to do with old birthday cards, mother's day cards, etc.? I get them every year and I hate to throw them out. I try to hold on to the more meaningful ones but I still hate to throw out the others. Thanks for your help.

Kathleen from West Hartford, CT

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

love the ideals so far

Take a card and matte it and frame it. this is nice way to save it and use it I did one up from a post card for parents anny. old post card with the year they were married on it and framed it. They loved it. When you frame your cards you can bring them out at the time of season, and then put them away later.This way you get to see them and you can smile and remember.

Read More Answers...

Does anyone have any ideas for using used greeting cards for craft projects?

By Susan

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I took some vintage post cards and found scrapbooking paper that they looked good with. Then I put them in old picture frames that I bought from thrift stores, yard sales, etc. They are now hanging on the wall going up the stair case in my house. Makes for interesting wall art, and you can always change them out easily for different seasons or holidays.

Read More Answers...

Greeting Card Finger PuppetsThis is a no-cost project that will occupy your kids for a while.

Approximate Time: 5 - 10 minutes each

Supplies

• old greeting cards
  • scissors
  • cellophane tape
  • glue sick

Instructions

1. Let the kids cut characters from the fronts of old greeting cards. These may be animals, people, snowmen, etc.
  2. From the back of card, cut a strip measuring about 3/4x3 inches. Roll this strip into a cylinder and tape the ends together to secure.
  3. Glue a cylinder to the bottom of each character cut-out, on the back of the design.
  4. To use the puppets, slide a finger into the cylinder, then move your finger to make the puppet move.

By Marie from West Dundee, IL

Re-use Christmas and Hanukkah cards for recipe cards to include with a holiday food gift.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If you're like me, you hate to throw out pretty wrapping paper. I use it as many times as I can to wrap gifts. I also save the fronts from old greeting cards. Here's a few ideas to re-use them.

I am often without wrapping paper for a special occasion. I also keep a box full of cards that I have received, rather than pitch them. When a holiday comes around, it is fun to take a paper bag or white construction paper and use pictures from old cards.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Give the gift of love, "cards to recycle", to friends and they will definitely remember your card!

I never could figure out what to do with the "In Memory Of" cards I had collected from friends and relatives that have died.

I cut and save the fronts of all of my received greeting cards. These are great for scrapbooking. I use my scissors to cut flowers, words, scenes, tiny birds, holiday scenes, etc. It saves so much money.

monnat96 from Pingree Grove, IL

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have used old Christmas cards for years as gift tags. cut out picture on front of card, punch hole in corner, tie skinny ribbon thru hole about 2 inches long to tie to package. Write to and from on back. Everyone likes them because they are large enough to read easily.

If you end up with a card without an envelope for a birthday or anniversary, you can cut the card with scalloped craft scissors. Cut the front of the card out and the message from inside the card. Embellish a gift bag with the card and message.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

It 's not too early to be thinking about Christmas. This year, send postcards or letters instead of Christmas cards. You can even cut your old Christmas cards, from last year, in half and send the pretty side as a postcard.

Save your Christmas cards for gifts for next year. Use craft scissors for unique designs to cut out pictures on Christmas cards and glue thin magnets on the back.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I save photo Christmas cards and birth announcements through the year, then collage and frame them in one big poster frame. They decorate the kid's playroom.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I save my Christmas cards each year and recycle them by cutting gift cards from the front of the cards. It's amazing what unique and beautiful gift cards you can make. Just be sure there is nothing written on the inside of the card on the left side. You can use a hole punch to attach ribbon to the gift card or you can tape it to your wrapped gift.

These are also beautiful to use as gift cards for homemade goodies. It's so much after the rush of the holidays to sit down and look at the cards again and then see creative I can be in cutting my gift cards for next year's presents. No one else will have gift cards like these either!

By GG from Greenville, NC

Answers:

Uses for Old Christmas or Greeting Cards

Cut the cards apart and keep the picture side. Put two that kind of go together and get a solid color contact paper and place them onto the paper (picture side up) then put clear contact paper on top of the cards and either cut all around with different sissors then you can decorate them of use as is for placemats on the table or under a potted plant.

From t4family5 , Cromwell, Indiana (11/14/2009)

By t4family5

I also make gift tags from cards but go a step further and add glitter around the edges. I also use old CD's and trace around the CD on pretty cards, cut them out and glue one to the back and one to the front of the CD. Add soft metal tape in silver gold or copper around the edge. (Can be purchased from framing stores.) Then I add a small bow at the top of the CD so they can be hung up or used for an ornament.. They are very pretty and make quick gifts to keep on hand for any occasion. (11/16/2009)

By pinkrose345

RE: Uses for Old Christmas or Greeting Cards

The first year I was married we had no money and every ornament on our tree was homemade. My husbands mother had a box full of rusty canning jar lids and my husband spray painted them for me,drilled a small hole on the "top" (really it was on one side of the lid ring) and I traced out a part of the picture on the card and glued them into the jar lid. I then decorated them with ribbon, lace, etc. and put an ornament hook through the drilled hole. I have also seen this done with photos and given as gifts. (11/16/2009)

By Tatorbug

I have cut the fronts off the cards and am using them as Christmas postcards this year. I may turns some into greeting cards also (by attaching them to cards stock), but many cards are the right size for a postcard. I don't know how well they will be received (do I look like a cheapskate), but I am trying to be green and recycle. Thoughts? (11/26/2009)

By shupfer

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You can make some really cute bookmarks to give as gifts or to use to help adorn your gifts. Attach them to the gift wrapping or to the bows.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

We want to keep the memories so when we do scrapbook pages, we cut pictures from some of our old greeting cards people have sent us.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Load More
Crafts Recycled CraftsFebruary 27, 2012
Greeting Cards
Donating Old Greeting Cards
Woman Making Greeting Cards With Children
Saving Money on Greeting Cards
Framed Business Card
Other Uses for Business Cards
Making Fall Greeting Cards
Making Fall Birthday and Greeting Cards
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 23, 2016 at 3:04:23 PM on 10.0.2.167 in 968 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.