Uses for Old Greeting Cards

Over the years we receive many greeting cards, but storing them all in a box can get out of hand. This is a guide about uses for old greeting cards.

November 30, 2011 Flag

Recarding should be the wave of the future. I save all my old greeting cards and even ask others to donate to me. By cutting certain words, pictures, trim, and colored parts of the cards you are able to recard or recreate a new card.

I use paint card samples from the hardware store that are being thrown out. These bright colored card backgrounds support the scrapbooking design papers or scraps from magazines or the computer. They actually look professional and no one will even know that you recarded. I keep glitter, buttons, ribbons, and stickers handy to embellish the new cards.

Making envelopes is easy too. I measure the card and reuse the back pages from hardback books as the envelopes. Old wallpaper or scraps of cloth are sometimes used too.

By Louella from Billings, MT

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I cut the tops off Christmas cards, paste them on paper folded over. These greetings are then delivered to hospital and nursing homes during the holiday season.

U r sooo resourceful great and smart idea!!

Read More Comments...

June 24, 2011 Flag

My father passed away recently and we were getting cards from all over and from people that my brother and I weren't familar with. Instead of trying to keep envelope with the card, I just tore off the return address and taped it to the back of the card.

When I'm sending acknowledgements and thank you notes, I know exactly who and where to send it to. It gives me a bit of inspiration when writing the note because i have the card right with the address. Much later, when looking through the cards, I'll also have an idea of who the card came from instead of trying to figure out who 'Jean" is.

By lkaserman from Adelphi Maryland

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

What a terrific idea. Thank you for sharing.

Great idea, my husband just passed away and I have the sympathy cards and love the idea of taping the address on the back of the card. Thanks for the idea.

Read More Comments...

January 23, 2008 Flag

Take 20 used Christmas card (or any other card) fronts and cut out 4 inch circles. Using a triangle template, fold the edges of the circles up to form flaps. Glue the flaps together, add a hanging ribbon and you have an 8" decorative ball.

Using Old Christmas Cards

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

December 4, 2009 Flag

Keep birthday, Christmas, and get well cards and use them as postcards. Just cut them apart and then draw a line to separate the message from the name and address.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 3, 2011 Flag

Don't throw away all the pretty Christmas cards you get away. There are so many things you can do with them. Everyone knows you can make postcards and name tags for gifts with them, but you can also cut out the design you might want to use when you scrapbook.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 18, 2010 Flag

I grew up with my mother recycling things out of necessity. Now, many years later, it is not only out of necessity to save money, but also to help the environment. I collect up old greeting cards and make lovely bookmarks to give out to friends at Christmas time.

4 bookmarks

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 10, 2012 Flag

Create a Christmas trivet from an inexpensive tile and a recycled Christmas card or wrapping paper. It can be displayed on an easel when not in use. Makes a great Christmas gift along with an inexpensive easel!

Finished tile trivet project (square format).

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

December 13, 2007 Flag

Here's a great, inexpensive gift idea to keep youngsters entertained. Create cute sewing cards that are super easy to make. You can use the fronts of old greeting cards or glue calendar pictures to cardboard. Kids can sew lengths of ribbon or yarn through holes punched in the cards.

Approximate Time: Less than 30 minutes to make several

Instructions:

1. If using calendar pictures, glue picture to thin cardboard or poster board.
  2. Cut out pictures into shapes, such as heart, star, etc.
  3. Punch pairs of holes about 1 1/2" apart along edges of shape. measure around edges of cutout; add 20".
  4. Cut a length of yarn or ribbon the determined measurement. Stiffen the ends of the yarn or ribbon by wrapping a piece of clear tape around each end.

Kids can "sew" ribbon through holes in card and then ties ends into a bow.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This looks great! Any picture will do; from magazines to greeting cards. Thanks for the suggestion. My grandkids will love this!

I love this one! You can also glue coloring book pages to a shirt card and cover it with clear contact paper and use tissue to erase the wax crayon marks. The pages can also be laminated if you have access to laminating equipment (a teacher workroom). This will give more use to the pages, thereby saving some money.

Read More Comments...

August 5, 2011 Flag

Any card you receive, that has not been written on the back of the front side, can be reused. It can be turned into a postcard or or used as a note stuck on a gift or in a gift bag!

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 16, 2013 Flag

I use old greeting cards and scratched cds to make beautiful coasters. You make a template from a piece of acetate and place this so the part of the card you want to use is central.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 21, 2003 Flag

Make tiny gift boxes from Christmas or greeting cards.

Card box guide.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 21, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about making a greeting card trivet. Old greeting cards can be used in many crafts. Use a favorite one to make a unique trivet.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

December 6, 2007 Flag

This is a no-cost project that will occupy your kids for a while.

Approximate Time: 5 - 10 minutes each

Supplies

Instructions

1. Let the kids cut characters from the fronts of old greeting cards. These may be animals, people, snowmen, etc.
  2. From the back of card, cut a strip measuring about 3/4x3 inches. Roll this strip into a cylinder and tape the ends together to secure.
  3. Glue a cylinder to the bottom of each character cut-out, on the back of the design.
  4. To use the puppets, slide a finger into the cylinder, then move your finger to make the puppet move.

By Marie from West Dundee, IL

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

These are so cute! thank you, jeanne3737 in Maine

What a great idea and so easy. I plan to do it with other cards I get that are suitable. I can see a puppet play coming on!

Read More Comments...

December 15, 2004 Flag

When I was a kid, my aunt made boxes out of old Christmas cards. She would punch holes along the sides and then crochet them together. The boxes even had a flap for a lid. I am looking for directions/pattern on how to make these.

Nancy from Pittsburgh

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Hi Mom,

I think I found something that will help. http://robynefmelia.blogspot.com/2010/05/hanky-box-for-zoe.html

Well, I am still looking for the pattern for those Hexagon shaped boxes. The one that I keep seeing is not the right one. The one I want has curved sides that bulge out and make a box that is rounded on the outside. I know it must be hard to visualize if you have never seen one. I am determined to find a copy of the original one. I might have to try to create my own. I really want to make these for my children this year. They have been asking for years. I can't believe that they are not on the Internet somewhere, but I have searched under every description I can think of. Help!

Read More Answers...

December 6, 2010 Flag

Re-use Christmas and Hanukkah cards for recipe cards to include with a holiday food gift.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 30, 2005 Flag

If you're like me, you hate to throw out pretty wrapping paper. I use it as many times as I can to wrap gifts. I also save the fronts from old greeting cards. Here's a few ideas to re-use them.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 3, 2008 Flag

Here's a great way to use old Christmas cards or those Christmas card samples you get in the mail, or even those Christmas cards you get on clearance after Christmas.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 21, 2011 Flag

I am often without wrapping paper for a special occasion. I also keep a box full of cards that I have received, rather than pitch them. When a holiday comes around, it is fun to take a paper bag or white construction paper and use pictures from old cards.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 6, 2015 Flag

How I can have them send to me, instead of recoiled or put in garbage?

By catcabcas from Duluth, MN

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If recoiled means recycled, then bravo. If you want to do something nice for kids, send them here.

https://stjudesranch.org/recycled-card-program-now-open-all-year-round/

They just ask there be no Disney, American Village, or Hallmark, and that they be 5 by 7 inches or less, be the fronts only with no writing on the back of the fronts. It's a great cause and they take them all year now.

PBP

Recycle them into Christmas card boxes that you can put cookies, candy or some other goody. You can give as Christmas gifts.

Read More Answers...
Load More
Crafts Recycled CraftsFebruary 27, 2012
Greeting Cards
Donating Old Greeting Cards
Woman Making Greeting Cards With Children
Saving Money on Greeting Cards
Framed Business Card
Other Uses for Business Cards
Making Fall Greeting Cards
Making Fall Birthday and Greeting Cards
🎉
🎄