Browsing: Uses for Old Greeting Cards

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Uses for Old Greeting Cards

Over the years we receive many greeting cards, but storing them all in a box can get out of hand. This is a guide about uses for old greeting cards.

Using Old Christmas Cards
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

November 30, 2011 Flag

Example of recarded Christmas card.Recarding should be the wave of the future. I save all my old greeting cards and even ask others to donate to me. By cutting certain words, pictures, trim, and colored parts of the cards you are able to recard or recreate a new card.

I use paint card samples from the hardware store that are being thrown out. These bright colored card backgrounds support the scrapbooking design papers or scraps from magazines or the computer. They actually look professional and no one will even know that you recarded. I keep glitter, buttons, ribbons, and stickers handy to embellish the new cards.

Making envelopes is easy too. I measure the card and reuse the back pages from hardback books as the envelopes. Old wallpaper or scraps of cloth are sometimes used too.

By Louella from Billings, MT

Recycled cards and embellishments.

June 24, 2011 Flag

My father passed away recently and we were getting cards from all over and from people that my brother and I weren't familar with. Instead of trying to keep envelope with the card, I just tore off the return address and taped it to the back of the card.

When I'm sending acknowledgements and thank you notes, I know exactly who and where to send it to. It gives me a bit of inspiration when writing the note because i have the card right with the address. Much later, when looking through the cards, I'll also have an idea of who the card came from instead of trying to figure out who 'Jean" is.

By lkaserman from Adelphi Maryland

January 3, 2011 Flag

Don't throw away all the pretty Christmas cards you get away. There are so many things you can do with them. Everyone knows you can make postcards and name tags for gifts with them, but you can also cut out the design you might want to use when you scrapbook.

August 18, 2010 Flag

I grew up with my mother recycling things out of necessity. Now, many years later, it is not only out of necessity to save money, but also to help the environment. I collect up old greeting cards and make lovely bookmarks to give out to friends at Christmas time.

Greeting Card Bookmarks

December 4, 2009 Flag

Keep birthday, Christmas, and get well cards and use them as postcards. Just cut them apart and then draw a line to separate the message from the name and address.

December 13, 2007 Flag

Greeting Card Sewing CardHere's a great, inexpensive gift idea to keep youngsters entertained. Create cute sewing cards that are super easy to make. You can use the fronts of old greeting cards or glue calendar pictures to cardboard. Kids can sew lengths of ribbon or yarn through holes punched in the cards.

Approximate Time: Less than 30 minutes to make several

Instructions:

1. If using calendar pictures, glue picture to thin cardboard or poster board.
  2. Cut out pictures into shapes, such as heart, star, etc.
  3. Punch pairs of holes about 1 1/2" apart along edges of shape. measure around edges of cutout; add 20".
  4. Cut a length of yarn or ribbon the determined measurement. Stiffen the ends of the yarn or ribbon by wrapping a piece of clear tape around each end.

Kids can "sew" ribbon through holes in card and then ties ends into a bow.

January 6, 2015 Flag

How I can have them send to me, instead of recoiled or put in garbage?

By catcabcas from Duluth, MN

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Recycle them into Christmas card boxes that you can put cookies, candy or some other goody. You can give as Christmas gifts.

Read More Answers...

August 5, 2011 Flag

Any card you receive, that has not been written on the back of the front side, can be reused. It can be turned into a postcard or or used as a note stuck on a gift or in a gift bag!

January 15, 2008 Flag

Any suggestions for recycling old birthday and greeting cards?

monnat96 from Pingree Grove, IL

You could use them to decoupage a box and make a cute trinket box.

Read More Answers...

September 16, 2013 Flag

I use old greeting cards and scratched cds to make beautiful coasters. You make a template from a piece of acetate and place this so the part of the card you want to use is central.

September 4, 2008 Flag

Does anyone have any ideas about what to do with old birthday cards, mother's day cards, etc.? I get them every year and I hate to throw them out. I try to hold on to the more meaningful ones but I still hate to throw out the others. Thanks for your help.

Kathleen from West Hartford, CT

love the ideals so far

Take a card and matte it and frame it. this is nice way to save it and use it I did one up from a post card for parents anny. old post card with the year they were married on it and framed it. They loved it. When you frame your cards you can bring them out at the time of season, and then put them away later.This way you get to see them and you can smile and remember.

Read More Answers...

January 21, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about making a greeting card trivet. Old greeting cards can be used in many crafts. Use a favorite one to make a unique trivet.

Finished tile trivet project (square format).

July 3, 2013 Flag

Does anyone have any ideas for using used greeting cards for craft projects?

By Susan

I took some vintage post cards and found scrapbooking paper that they looked good with. Then I put them in old picture frames that I bought from thrift stores, yard sales, etc. They are now hanging on the wall going up the stair case in my house. Makes for interesting wall art, and you can always change them out easily for different seasons or holidays.

Read More Answers...

December 6, 2007 Flag

Greeting Card Finger PuppetsThis is a no-cost project that will occupy your kids for a while.

Approximate Time: 5 - 10 minutes each

Supplies

Instructions

1. Let the kids cut characters from the fronts of old greeting cards. These may be animals, people, snowmen, etc.
  2. From the back of card, cut a strip measuring about 3/4x3 inches. Roll this strip into a cylinder and tape the ends together to secure.
  3. Glue a cylinder to the bottom of each character cut-out, on the back of the design.
  4. To use the puppets, slide a finger into the cylinder, then move your finger to make the puppet move.

By Marie from West Dundee, IL

Load More
Crafts Recycled CraftsFebruary 27, 2012
Greeting Cards
Donating Old Greeting Cards
Woman Making Greeting Cards With Children
Saving Money on Greeting Cards
Framed Business Card
Other Uses for Business Cards
Making Fall Greeting Cards
Making Fall Birthday and Greeting Cards
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 25, 2016 at 1:16:25 PM on 10.0.1.233 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.