Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Uses for Old Greeting Cards

Over the years we receive many greeting cards, but storing them all in a box can get out of hand. This is a guide about uses for old greeting cards.

November 30, 2011 Flag

Recarding should be the wave of the future. I save all my old greeting cards and even ask others to donate to me. By cutting certain words, pictures, trim, and colored parts of the cards you are able to recard or recreate a new card.

I use paint card samples from the hardware store that are being thrown out. These bright colored card backgrounds support the scrapbooking design papers or scraps from magazines or the computer. They actually look professional and no one will even know that you recarded. I keep glitter, buttons, ribbons, and stickers handy to embellish the new cards.

Making envelopes is easy too. I measure the card and reuse the back pages from hardback books as the envelopes. Old wallpaper or scraps of cloth are sometimes used too.

By Louella from Billings, MT

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I cut the tops off Christmas cards, paste them on paper folded over. These greetings are then delivered to hospital and nursing homes during the holiday season.

June 24, 2011 Flag

My father passed away recently and we were getting cards from all over and from people that my brother and I weren't familar with. Instead of trying to keep envelope with the card, I just tore off the return address and taped it to the back of the card.

When I'm sending acknowledgements and thank you notes, I know exactly who and where to send it to. It gives me a bit of inspiration when writing the note because i have the card right with the address. Much later, when looking through the cards, I'll also have an idea of who the card came from instead of trying to figure out who 'Jean" is.

By lkaserman from Adelphi Maryland

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

What a terrific idea. Thank you for sharing.

December 4, 2009 Flag

Keep birthday, Christmas, and get well cards and use them as postcards. Just cut them apart and then draw a line to separate the message from the name and address. You save money not having to buy cards and the postage is cheaper on postcards. They can be quite pretty and its a good way to reuse the cards.

You can also cut last year's Christmas cards and put a hole in them and a ribbon and hang from your Christmas tree.

By Dwedenoja from New Creek, WV

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Have you ever tried making boxes of them?

How about running them through an older sherreder (not crosscut) and then putting them (not in order, but in a colorful way) on card stock with double sided tape or I like to use contact paper, cut out a tree or star or angle or any other thing you may think of and punch a whole for ribbon hanger. makes great tree ornaments and/or "window dressing". I have even put a pin back on them, attached them to a Christmas card and then they have a pin to wear.

Sorry, but I do not have any pics as I have given all away!

January 3, 2011 Flag

Don't throw away all the pretty Christmas cards you get away. There are so many things you can do with them. Everyone knows you can make postcards and name tags for gifts with them, but you can also cut out the design you might want to use when you scrapbook.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 18, 2010 Flag

4 bookmarks

CommentPin It!Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I grew up with my mother recycling things out of necessity. Now, many years later, it is not only out of necessity to save money, but also to help the environment. I collect up old greeting cards and make lovely bookmarks to give out to friends at Christmas time.

August 5, 2011 Flag

Any card you receive, that has not been written on the back of the front side, can be reused. It can be turned into a postcard or or used as a note stuck on a gift or in a gift bag!

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 16, 2013 Flag

I use old greeting cards and scratched cds to make beautiful coasters. You make a template from a piece of acetate and place this so the part of the card you want to use is central.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

December 6, 2010 Flag

Re-use Christmas and Hanukkah cards for recipe cards to include with a holiday food gift.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 21, 2011 Flag

I am often without wrapping paper for a special occasion. I also keep a box full of cards that I have received, rather than pitch them. When a holiday comes around, it is fun to take a paper bag or white construction paper and use pictures from old cards.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 21, 2016 Flag

Finished tile trivet project (square format).

This is a guide about making a greeting card trivet. Old greeting cards can be used in many crafts. Use a favorite one to make a unique trivet.

December 6, 2007 Flag

Greeting Card Finger Puppets

This is a no-cost project that will occupy your kids for a while. Let the kids cut characters from the fronts of old greeting cards. These may be animals, people, snowmen, etc.

December 11, 2004 Flag

I never could figure out what to do with the "In Memory Of" cards I had collected from friends and relatives that have died.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 14, 2010 Flag

If you end up with a card without an envelope for a birthday or anniversary, you can cut the card with scalloped craft scissors. Cut the front of the card out and the message from inside the card. Embellish a gift bag with the card and message.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 30, 2005 Flag

If you're like me, you hate to throw out pretty wrapping paper. I use it as many times as I can to wrap gifts. I also save the fronts from old greeting cards. Here's a few ideas to re-use them.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Ms. Syd Barr - Dunkirk, MD0 found this helpful
December 7, 2000 Flag

Give the gift of love, "cards to recycle", to friends and they will definitely remember your card!

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 24, 2010 Flag

I cut and save the fronts of all of my received greeting cards. These are great for scrapbooking. I use my scissors to cut flowers, words, scenes, tiny birds, holiday scenes, etc. It saves so much money.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 8, 2007 Flag

It 's not too early to be thinking about Christmas. This year, send postcards or letters instead of Christmas cards. You can even cut your old Christmas cards, from last year, in half and send the pretty side as a postcard.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 22, 2005 Flag

For those who are into crafting, this can be a fun money saving thing to do to recycle those cute and pretty card fronts.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

December 29, 2009 Flag

Save your Christmas cards for gifts for next year. Use craft scissors for unique designs to cut out pictures on Christmas cards and glue thin magnets on the back.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 16, 2009 Flag

I save photo Christmas cards and birth announcements through the year, then collage and frame them in one big poster frame. They decorate the kid's playroom.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 6, 2015 Flag

How I can have them send to me, instead of recoiled or put in garbage?

By catcabcas from Duluth, MN

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If recoiled means recycled, then bravo. If you want to do something nice for kids, send them here.

https://stjudes  -all-year-round/

They just ask there be no Disney, American Village, or Hallmark, and that they be 5 by 7 inches or less, be the fronts only with no writing on the back of the fronts. It's a great cause and they take them all year now.

PBP

January 15, 2008 Flag

Any suggestions for recycling old birthday and greeting cards?

monnat96 from Pingree Grove, IL

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You could bring used greeting cards to a local day care centre where they will be used for crafting.

September 4, 2008 Flag

Does anyone have any ideas about what to do with old birthday cards, mother's day cards, etc.? I get them every year and I hate to throw them out. I try to hold on to the more meaningful ones but I still hate to throw out the others. Thanks for your help.

Kathleen from West Hartford, CT

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I cut the picture out and wrap it in plastic wrap, then it makes a great center piece for a birthday or holiday cake.

July 3, 2013 Flag

Does anyone have any ideas for using used greeting cards for craft projects?

By Susan

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

There are a bazillion ideas on the Internet; just put "greeting card projects" in the Search box, and you'll be inundated with ideas! I've been conducting repurposed workshops with kids and adults for several years now making tons of gifts, games, gift holders, and decorative items out of cards, calendars, and lots of other paper products. It's so gratifying to know we're repurposing items that would normally go into the recycle or trash bin. Good luck!

October 9, 2014 Flag

Does anyone one remember making pictures 3D, and framing them in shadow box frames?

By Lynn

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 14, 2008 Flag

monnat96 from Pingree Grove, IL

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have used old Christmas cards for years as gift tags. cut out picture on front of card, punch hole in corner, tie skinny ribbon thru hole about 2 inches long to tie to package. Write to and from on back. Everyone likes them because they are large enough to read easily.

November 3, 2006 Flag

How do you make waste baskets out of greeting cards?

Beth from Riverview, Michigan

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Load More
Crafts Recycled CraftsFebruary 27, 2012
Making a Greeting Card Trivet
Greeting Cards
Donating Old Greeting Cards
Woman Making Greeting Cards With Children
Saving Money on Greeting Cards
Making Fall Greeting Cards
Making Fall Birthday and Greeting Cards
👒
🐰
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 20, 2017 at 8:30:32 PM on 10.0.1.17 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.