I was making one of those noodle microwave dishes (the black tray ones), I opened it up and put the dried vegetables in the container and put it in the microwave for 5 minutes. When there was a minute and something left, my kitchen was filled with smoke. I couldn't see inside microwave and the plastic tray melted. Now I have yellow staining and a nasty smell in my microwave. I also need help getting the gunk off the top of the microwave.
If bleach won't take the stain out I'm not sure what if anything will. As for the smell. Bleach may work for that too, but as my mother always preaches for any smell...Baking soda. It is a neutralizer for smells. Look it up ... on google or here: http://www.thelosthaven.co.uk/BSoda.htm
Those microwave dishes don't usually call for five minutes and they all require a certain amount of water to be added.
Yes, the Yakisoba ones call for 4 minutes in the microwave. However, I'm guessing the problem was the OP didn't put in the water.
The smell will go away over time, like how it does if you burn a bag of popcorn. I know you can put a mug of water in the oven, let it boil for a minute or so, then leave the microwave door shut for an hour or so. The warm steam will help loosen any other mess still left in the oven so you can scrape it off with a plastic spatula.
I have removed odors with white vinegar. Put 50% vinegar to 50% water in a glass bowl or measuring cup, large enough to allow it to boil, and let it come to a boil and leave it in there for a while and see if this will help.
Easy solution to both problems...
Using a glass microwave safe bowl fill 3/4 full of water, add 2 spoon fulls of baking soda then place half a lemon in the bowl (if you don't have a fresh lemon use lemon juice or lemon essential oil)
Set microwave for 4 minutes them allow 3 minutes after to steam.
Remove the bowl ( use pot holders )
The lemon/ baking soda water mix loosens all mess inside and it will wipe clean with a paper towel.
I suggest after cleaning that you fill a small bowl with baking soda and a couple drops lemon oil (optional) and leave it in the oven when its not in use, this absorbs all odors and keeps it smelling fresh. Change once a month, I use the old soda down my kitchen sink to deodorize the garbage disposal too.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!