Share Crafts
Ask
Share
Newsletter
Account
About

Ball Point Pen Marks on Imitation Leather (vinyl?)

0EmailPrintFollowSave

I have recently started cleaning a doctors office which has ink marks on the examining tables. I have tried alcohol, simple green, Mr. Clean Magic Eraser and cannot seem to find anything to remove the marks. Can anyone give me some suggestions? Thanks!

Sheila from Michigan

By

Recent AnswersAnswer this Question

By Stacy (Guest Post) 04/14/2005 Flag

Try a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Barbie (Guest Post) 04/14/2005 Flag

WD-40 should remove the pen marks then wash with soap and water to remove WD-40

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Kim McGrantham 16 160 04/14/2005 Flag

maybe Goo Gone?

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

04/14/2005 Flag

I clean banks and doctor's offices also. I have used anti-bacterial hand gel with great success. Rub it into the ink and go do something else leave on the ink for about 5-10min. rub off with soft cloth or whatever cleaner you normally use. I've also removed permanent marker from countertops with it, adhesives, and chewing gum from a carpet. It will also remove black shoe marks from tile floors, and scuff marks from walls. I now keep a bottle with me at all times and when you're done cleaning you can use it on your hands.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Susan (Guest Post) 04/15/2005 Flag

I used to work for a haircare franchise. We always used hairspray for ink on clothing. Saturate the ink mark, use much elbow grease, and repeat as many times as necessary. Persistence. It WILL come out. Not sure if this will work on the exam table, but may be worth a try.

Good luck.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Bonnie Bartlein 1 29 04/16/2005 Flag

Sheila, have you tried hair spray? Bonnie

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Gueat (Guest Post) 04/16/2005 Flag

Try Baking soda. Dip a barely damp rag into the baking soda, and gently rub the spot. Rinse with a clean damp rag.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By CHRISTINE (Guest Post) 04/17/2005 Flag

I ACCIDENTLY LEFT A FEW NEWSPAPER ADDS ON MY LEATHER SEAT IN MY CAR....BAKING IN THE HOT SUN. I HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING AND NOTHING WORKS.....INCLUDING AFTER SHAVE, ALCHOHOL, NAIL POLISH REMOVER, BLEACH....I AM DESPERATE. I HAVE THE ADDS PERMANATELY ON MY SEAT. PLEASE HELP GET MY NEW CAR BACK! THANK YOU IN ADVANCE.....

Hi Christine,
We added this as a new request:

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf302933.tip.html

Look there for answers

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By ruthe (Guest Post) 06/09/2005 Flag

im minding my friends house while she is on holiday and my toddler has drawn on the back of her cream leather sofa! ive tried everything but its not moving and im afraid of damaging the leather, do you think the antibac gel would be ok to use on cream leather? Help she comes home on saturday!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Deana H from Florida (Guest Post) 04/13/2006 Flag

I have pen on my leather, do the products above work on leather as well as vinyl?

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Susan (Guest Post) 05/28/2006 Flag

The hairspray did it! I sprayed to cover the pen marks and then rubbed gently to take them all out. I rinsed with a clean rag and it looks great!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By alex (Guest Post) 09/20/2006 Flag

Well i have the same problem & i have tried everything possible in the stores & in my house and it doesnt matter at all
nothing works at all
so please help me
(but this is on my leather shoe like baby phat shoe the imitation leather & cant find anything to take it all off
HELP ME :'(

Editor's Note: Try a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. It shouldn't hurt the vinyl.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By betty (Guest Post) 03/16/2007 Flag

My son drew on a bar chair with blue pen, and I tried nearly everything, but hairspray works the best

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Tory (Guest Post) 05/24/2007 Flag

My sister in law is opening a hair salon and he little brother scribbled on her vinyl chair with a ball point pen!(purple pen on a cream colored chair!) Magic Erasers,cleanser,Goo Gone,Goop,Goof Off,baking soda,peroxide,alcohol...so far nothing works but the hairspray,but it isn't as easy as it sounds!! You still need to scrub and scrub!!!!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Charlette. (Guest Post) 06/06/2007 Flag

Hairspray works well to remove ink from imitation leather ( in my case a purse). You have to spray and wipe several times, but it will eventually come off.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Magda A. (Guest Post) 07/09/2007 Flag

I had tried everything mentioned above except the hair spray and it is working I tried it and yes you have to be patient (ELBOW GREASE) but it IS FADING AWAY off my beautful white leather purse I'll do it again tomorrow. Thank you.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By AA (Guest Post) 08/26/2007 Flag

The Purell worked fairly well on a vinyl chair. Its not completely gone, but it is not glaring at you either! Thanks!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By james the cover maker. (Guest Post) 11/27/2007 Flag

I just Got PERMANENT MARKER on a £25,000 rigid hull inflatable. the hairspray worked, and I have a boatyard of impressed people.

Thank you for saving me.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Johann M (Guest Post) 02/11/2008 Flag

The hairspray did the work - tried almost everything else. Ereased it compleatly

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Cynthia (Guest Post) 04/18/2008 Flag

Have you tried a baby wipe? We had ball point pen marks on an electronic drum kit (the drum pads) and a baby wipe took it right off with not too much scrubbing.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By ahmed (Guest Post) 05/27/2008 Flag

What type of hairspray?

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Sarah (Guest Post) 06/12/2008 Flag

I have a white imitation leather purse and every time I wipe it with a wet wash cloth it turns a bluey color. Does anyone know why this is and how I can prevent it?

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Kian (Guest Post) 11/19/2008 Flag

Let me save you all the trouble. If ink is on leather more than three days-it's indelible! That means that it's not coming off. You best chance is to remove it with an alcohol based product within the three days. Try using something like simple green first to remove the ink that has not penetrated the substrate then follow with the alcohol.

There is no magical solution in hairspray that removes ink other that the alcohol content. Just skip the hairspray part and use straight alcohol and you won't smell like Aquanet! If you cannot remove the ink look for a suitable vinyl dye like ColorBond.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Archimedes A. 1 10/11/2013 Flag

I was freaking out when I saw my tan couch with ballpoint pen on it from my 2 year old son. I Googled a remedy and this site pulled up! I used hairspray and it worked! Thanks to everyone! My couch is Bonded Leather, Half Vinyl and half leather.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By worldtravel84 1 10/11/2013 Flag

Let me help and save you. We have a beautiful white faux leather sofa. My friend wrote on it, 2 weeks ago. Used magic eraser... don't do it! It just scratches off the surface.
By the second accident (my baby) I used hand sanitize gel. Works! Eventually the alcohol works. Just put a smaller amount, and it will start to solve off the ink. Gently rub it, do it 2-3 times, and it is perfectly gone.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes