Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Ball Point Pen Marks on Imitation Leather (vinyl?)

I have recently started cleaning a doctors office which has ink marks on the examining tables. I have tried alcohol, simple green, Mr. Clean Magic Eraser and cannot seem to find anything to remove the marks. Can anyone give me some suggestions? Thanks!

Sheila from Michigan

By

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By worldtravel8410/11/2013

Let me help and save you. We have a beautiful white faux leather sofa. My friend wrote on it, 2 weeks ago. Used magic eraser... don't do it! It just scratches off the surface.
By the second accident (my baby) I used hand sanitize gel. Works! Eventually the alcohol works. Just put a smaller amount, and it will start to solve off the ink. Gently rub it, do it 2-3 times, and it is perfectly gone.

By Archimedes A.10/11/2013

I was freaking out when I saw my tan couch with ballpoint pen on it from my 2 year old son. I Googled a remedy and this site pulled up! I used hairspray and it worked! Thanks to everyone! My couch is Bonded Leather, Half Vinyl and half leather.

By Kian (Guest Post)11/19/2008

Let me save you all the trouble. If ink is on leather more than three days-it's indelible! That means that it's not coming off. You best chance is to remove it with an alcohol based product within the three days. Try using something like simple green first to remove the ink that has not penetrated the substrate then follow with the alcohol.

There is no magical solution in hairspray that removes ink other that the alcohol content. Just skip the hairspray part and use straight alcohol and you won't smell like Aquanet! If you cannot remove the ink look for a suitable vinyl dye like ColorBond.

By Sarah (Guest Post)06/12/2008

I have a white imitation leather purse and every time I wipe it with a wet wash cloth it turns a bluey color. Does anyone know why this is and how I can prevent it?

By ahmed (Guest Post)05/27/2008

What type of hairspray?

By Cynthia (Guest Post)04/18/2008

Have you tried a baby wipe? We had ball point pen marks on an electronic drum kit (the drum pads) and a baby wipe took it right off with not too much scrubbing.

By Johann M (Guest Post)02/11/2008

The hairspray did the work - tried almost everything else. Ereased it compleatly

By james the cover maker. (Guest Post)11/27/2007

I just Got PERMANENT MARKER on a £25,000 rigid hull inflatable. the hairspray worked, and I have a boatyard of impressed people.

Thank you for saving me.

By AA (Guest Post)08/26/2007

The Purell worked fairly well on a vinyl chair. Its not completely gone, but it is not glaring at you either! Thanks!

By Magda A. (Guest Post)07/09/2007

I had tried everything mentioned above except the hair spray and it is working I tried it and yes you have to be patient (ELBOW GREASE) but it IS FADING AWAY off my beautful white leather purse I'll do it again tomorrow. Thank you.

By Charlette. (Guest Post)06/06/2007

Hairspray works well to remove ink from imitation leather ( in my case a purse). You have to spray and wipe several times, but it will eventually come off.

By Tory (Guest Post)05/24/2007

My sister in law is opening a hair salon and he little brother scribbled on her vinyl chair with a ball point pen!(purple pen on a cream colored chair!) Magic Erasers,cleanser,Goo Gone,Goop,Goof Off,baking soda,peroxide,alcohol...so far nothing works but the hairspray,but it isn't as easy as it sounds!! You still need to scrub and scrub!!!!

By betty (Guest Post)03/16/2007

My son drew on a bar chair with blue pen, and I tried nearly everything, but hairspray works the best

By alex (Guest Post)09/20/2006

Well i have the same problem & i have tried everything possible in the stores & in my house and it doesnt matter at all
nothing works at all
so please help me
(but this is on my leather shoe like baby phat shoe the imitation leather & cant find anything to take it all off
HELP ME :'(

Editor's Note: Try a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. It shouldn't hurt the vinyl.

By Susan (Guest Post)05/28/2006

The hairspray did it! I sprayed to cover the pen marks and then rubbed gently to take them all out. I rinsed with a clean rag and it looks great!

By Deana H from Florida (Guest Post)04/13/2006

I have pen on my leather, do the products above work on leather as well as vinyl?

By ruthe (Guest Post)06/09/2005

im minding my friends house while she is on holiday and my toddler has drawn on the back of her cream leather sofa! ive tried everything but its not moving and im afraid of damaging the leather, do you think the antibac gel would be ok to use on cream leather? Help she comes home on saturday!

By CHRISTINE (Guest Post)04/17/2005

I ACCIDENTLY LEFT A FEW NEWSPAPER ADDS ON MY LEATHER SEAT IN MY CAR....BAKING IN THE HOT SUN. I HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING AND NOTHING WORKS.....INCLUDING AFTER SHAVE, ALCHOHOL, NAIL POLISH REMOVER, BLEACH....I AM DESPERATE. I HAVE THE ADDS PERMANATELY ON MY SEAT. PLEASE HELP GET MY NEW CAR BACK! THANK YOU IN ADVANCE.....

Hi Christine,
We added this as a new request:

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf302933.tip.html

Look there for answers

By Gueat (Guest Post)04/16/2005

Try Baking soda. Dip a barely damp rag into the baking soda, and gently rub the spot. Rinse with a clean damp rag.

By Bonnie Bartlein04/16/2005

Sheila, have you tried hair spray? Bonnie

By Susan (Guest Post)04/15/2005

I used to work for a haircare franchise. We always used hairspray for ink on clothing. Saturate the ink mark, use much elbow grease, and repeat as many times as necessary. Persistence. It WILL come out. Not sure if this will work on the exam table, but may be worth a try.

Good luck.

04/14/2005

I clean banks and doctor's offices also. I have used anti-bacterial hand gel with great success. Rub it into the ink and go do something else leave on the ink for about 5-10min. rub off with soft cloth or whatever cleaner you normally use. I've also removed permanent marker from countertops with it, adhesives, and chewing gum from a carpet. It will also remove black shoe marks from tile floors, and scuff marks from walls. I now keep a bottle with me at all times and when you're done cleaning you can use it on your hands.

By Kim McGrantham [16]04/14/2005

maybe Goo Gone?

By Barbie (Guest Post)04/14/2005

WD-40 should remove the pen marks then wash with soap and water to remove WD-40

By Stacy (Guest Post)04/14/2005

Try a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser.