A Green Guide to Hair Dyes

Category Coloring
Many commercial hair dyes contain various chemicals and dyes. If you are looking for something a bit more ecofriendly and safer for you to use, there are other options. This is a guide about a green guide to hair dyes.

Most commercial hair dyes contain ridiculously toxic chemicals. Many contain additives (often unregulated) that have been linked to cancer, birth defects, and a host of other serious health problems. So why are people willing assume the risk? Because the truth of the matter is, these products work great and many people are simply unaware that safer alternatives exist. No hair dye is worth dying for. Here are some tips for safer hair coloring.

Look Out for the "Bad Guys"

Once you recognize some of the most toxic chemicals commonly found in hair dyes, you and/or your stylist will be able to make healthier choices when selecting hair color products.

Hair Color Tips To Dye For

A Word About Hair Bleaching

Lightening your hair is somewhat less harmful than dyeing it (in terms of exposure to chemicals). Lighteners usually contain hydrogen peroxide, which alone isn't so bad (it's eco-friendly, biodegradable, and can be used to clean counters and clothes). Unfortunately, the hydrogen peroxide in lighteners is commonly mixed with ammonia, which is a severe skin and lung irritant and considered highly toxic to aquatic life. For safer lightening, look for ammonia-free brands. An even safer alternative is to use lemon juice and sunshine to lighten your locks naturally.

I am so grateful for this news as I am severely allergic to all those mentionedinhair dyes,butwant to jaz up my hair a bit as it looks tired & a lot of white areas,I thankyou very much for the education as I am now aware never to use any hair dyes on the market and the other ideas some of them I can do very much appreciated.
Balance Deer Woman:)

One of the best things I've ever done for myself in my entire life was to quit coloring my hair with dye. My hair is charcoal and has silver highlights over the top just like frosting. I was very surprised when I saw the color underneath the dye. Also, the hairdresser cut my hair to highlight the coloring.

I have extremely sensitive skin and am allergic to preservatives in shampoo, shower gels, and liquid hand soap. My scalp is clear and clean now. I no longer have dandruff. I"ve discovered a new, younger me. Try it. You may be surprised too.

I will say this: PUNKY COLORS is so safe. It is more like a stain than a dye. There is very little odor(as with most temp colors) and lasts a long time. Their color selection is exotic and you must find a salon/store that sells it. I found mine on ebay. I love the stuff, and I have tried almost EVERY dye out there and compared what works.

Punky colors is FANTASTIC. For natural dye colors, the closest they have is black or red. Good Luck!

you can get black walnut powder on net, mix a little in water and comb on, leave for a while, rinse. It would make your hair look a little less gray: sort of light golden brown, I know someone whose hair was just about your color and that's what it did for her. Be careful as it does stain.