At Home Exercise Ideas

Category Exercise
An older man working with a trainer at home.
Weather and other circumstances may restrict your exercise options to activities you can do at home. This is a guide about at home exercise ideas.

Whether you are cleaning house or just lounging, wear wrist and ankle weights for mild exercise.

By MarJae from Kingston, NY

If you want a frugal way to exercise and not have the cost associated with it, then follow this advice. Use the stairs.

If you have stairs in your home, even if only 4 steps, go up and down a number of times for a great workout. If you live in a high rise building, then just take the steps up to the top level and back down again. Just going up 18 flights of stairs, each and every day, guaranteed that you will get yourself in great shape.

By Karyn from Ottawa, Canada

I've learned that I can't do it all in a day. So on those days when I am going to do my larger house cleaning projects, I wear leg weights instead of doing a work out routine. The leg weights have removable weights in them, so you can start out at one pound on each leg and work up to 5 if you want. You barely notice a difference as you clean. I'm up to 3 pounds on each leg. I'll also wear them for food shopping (under long slacks) for an hour, run errands for an hour, then come home and put things away. By the time I'm done, I take the weights off and feel like I can float. As a bonus I sleep more soundly on those nights than any other nights. You can't even feel that you are burning calories. These weights are available at Target, K-Mart and Walmart stores. I'm 5'6 and am able to stay at 130 pounds. Not bad at age 52.

By patioelf from Ewing, NJ

Answers:

Wear Leg Weights While Cleaning

Patioelf, this is an excellent way to multi-task, lol! (09/15/2010)

By JustPlainJo

Great way to get fit? Try putting something in the basement, or up stairs that you use daily. Sounds silly, but now that we've added a playroom/computer room in our basement , I've lost 8 lbs!

Source: Just noticed the scale this afternoon, and realized I now climb stairs at least 5 times a day!

By Amy from Canton, Ohio

Answers:

Make Yourself Climb Stairs For Exercise

Also, use the stairs in commercial buildings, instead of the elevator. Doing so saves a wee bit of energy for planet earth, and burns a few calories and helps your heart rate. (02/02/2008)

By Paul

Make Yourself Climb Stairs For Exercise

This does work! I noticed it when we lived in a townhouse and had a small baby. He was upstairs and laundry was in the basement! Babies create a lot of laundry so I was up and down a lot, not to mention upstairs checking on him several times a day while sleeping. I looked good! Then we moved to a house with one floor and a basement. Even tho I do lots of laundry, I need those extra stairs again! (02/04/2008)