Attaching a Hook to a Hollow Core Door

Category Doors
adhesive hooks
Having a place on the back of a door to hang something can be convenient. This guide is about attaching a hook to a hollow core door.

Presently we throw recycled newspaper, etc. into a cabinet in our kitchen. It takes up needed space. So I thought about putting some sort of frame with hooks on the back of our kitchen door to the basement to hang a plastic garbage bag. I am trying to figure out if this will work. It is not a solid door so I thought perhaps a horizontal wood brace then utility hooks screwed into that to hold a garbage bag for newspaper collection. Make sense?

By Mark S

Sounds like an excellent idea as long as you use a 'molly' anchor bolt used specifically for hollow core door - it's usually made of metal and has a pair of spreading 'wings' that open once into the hollow core to brace against the panel:

http://www.lowe  s&facetInfo=

Something to think about - the weight of a weeks worth of newspapers may tear the plastic bag. We use the grocery store carrier bags and have to double them up so that the bags don't tear between kitchen and kerb.

Another good idea is an over the door unit like you used to get for vhs tapes. Here's a link to all kinds of them. Also, Dollar Tree wreath hooks work well. You can buy two, then custom cut a pvc pipe piece and hang it between. Then, with s' hooks, you can hang bags for other things.

This won't mar your door should you decide to make the recycling center somewhere outside your home. I don't get the paper, but I put all my recycling in a pretty wicker hamper just outside my door. No one can see the contents but it's all ready to just pick up and take to the bin. I hope that helps.

PBP