Baking Pan Substitutions

Category Substitutions
When you don't have the right size pan that a baking recipe calls for, you may be able to use something else that you do have. This is a guide about baking pan substitutions.

Most of us keep ingredient alternatives or substitutions for those occasions we may not have enough of a certain ingredient, but another equally important list I keep is a pan substitution list that is practical.

By Ronsan

Can you use a cookie sheet with a rim instead of a jelly roll pan? I have always wanted to try making a pumpkin roll and see it says I need a jelly roll pan. My husband does not like pumpkin so this might be a one shot trial deal, so I don't want the expenditure. (Plus can't afford it anyway, lol.) Has anyone tried using a cookie sheet with a raised rim and how deep was the rim? I guess using a regular roasting pan would not work either. I see they sell non-stick jellyroll pans and wonder if that is a key to a successful jelly roll? Thanks to everyone one responds.

Lori from Marion

Answers

Best Answer

Try turning the cookie sheet upside down and use like a jelly roll pan. Should work for the one time for you to test.

Best Answer

I've used a cookie sheet before. I line it with parchment paper so the cake comes out easily. The cream cheese filling with win your husband over. NO body doesn't like Pumpkin Roll. It's my husband's favorite.

Best Answer

Yes. I just made one the other day. I made it on a cookie sheet that has a rim of 1/2". The cookie sheet was about 15 1/2" x 11. It did just fine. I didn't want to buy a jelly roll pan to make just the pumpkin roll. I put the pumpkin roll in the freezer for Thanksgiving.

I'm making a recipe that calls for me to use a rimmed baking sheet. My problem is I don't have one. What can I use in place of the rimmed baking sheet that I don't have?

Answers

Any rimmed pan of any size can be used. Other baking pans like pie tins, cake tins, lasagna pans etc. will work. You just will have more batches of smaller sizes to serve